Sitting Ducks

By RachelJessie

Everyone has a different view on life. For example, when you see someone dead, you never say they deserved it... More

Prologue: 671
Chapter One: 214
Chapter Two: 153
Chapter Three: 749
Chapter Four: 84
Chapter Five: 403
Chapter Six: 544
Chapter Seven: 380
Chapter Eight: 959
Chapter Nine: 104
Chapter Ten: 11
Chapter Eleven: 21
Chapter Twelve: 63
Chapter Thirteen: 946
Chapter Fourteen: 0
Chapter Fifteen: 368
Chapter Seventeen: 8
Chapter Eighteen: 550
Chapter Nineteen: 442
Chapter Twenty: 389
Chapter Twenty-One: 207
Chapter Twenty-Two: 648
Chapter Twenty-Three: 152
Chapter Twenty-Four: 204
Chapter Twenty-Five: 352
Epilogue: 199
Alternate Epilogue: 768

Chapter Sixteen: 637

107 5 1
By RachelJessie

A.N. This is so short, I am so sorry.

As I crouched in that tree, frozen with fear, a thought hit me.  A dog barked, and I heard footsteps approaching the tree I was in.  

"C'mon Silver, just get down. You're not going to get away this time, why even try?" I heard a voice call.

"Please Peanut, you could get hurt. Just come down, please?" That was Mike. The wind had died down and the air was silent. I could see glimpses of the large cement hell they called BrickStone. 

"You leave us no choice Ms. Houston." A voice said, and I heard a match being lit. They were going to burn the tree? As I waited for the flames, I noticed there were none at my feet. I heard crackling and smelt burning wood, but there was nothing on my tree.  Wow. I almost sighed with relief. 

"Toby what are you doing, you're going to kill her! She's a stubborn mule, she won't come down." Mike groaned. I could see him and a few other people looking at the tree beside me. A car rolled up, and a person got out. 

"Silver! Get your ass down here now, I swear to god." Tyler threatened. If I planned this right, I could land through the sunroof of his car. People did that in the movies, didn't they? I shifted a little bit, it was in clean sight now. 

"Idiots! She's probably not in that tree.  She's probably deeper in the forest, go! All of you, split up!" He shouted. I had to move before he got into the car. Steadying myself, I jumped through the roof. Slamming onto the seat, I smashed my head on the wheel, making the horn beep. Tyler turned around and I floored it.  I was a little down the way when I turned around.  Tyler was standing there, looking at me. 

Smiling. 

I sped up, trying to get away from that grin. Driving down the dirt road, I tried to open the window. It wouldn't open. Just in case, I checked the doors. They wouldn't open either. Panic took over as  I realised his little trap.  The sunroof had just closed automatically.

Maya. She must have done this, or some mechanic. I opened the glove compartment and saw a piece of paper.

Silver, 

Once you've driven for five minutes, this car will fill with laughing gas. The car will go on it's own, and you can't open the doors. You need to smash the window somehow, there's a foldable crowbar I invented in the compartment. 

P.S. Don't break the window before the gas goes off, and destroy this note before it destroys me.

-Maya

"Thank god." I whispered. I was in a horrible situation, but now I knew how to deal with it. Looking deeper in the compartment, I found a passport with my photo, and a bunch of bills. The only question was how did Maya know which car Tyler would take. He had probably told her to trick it out, knowing I would take it.  I had the luck of the devil with Maya. Grabbing the crowbar, I unfolded it. What a cool invention. This was probably my biggest streak of luck I had ever had.

The air became heavy as the gas set in. I immediately started to smash against the window, and tiny cracks began to form. I finally broke through, just as I was getting weak. Throwing myself out the window, I rolled until I hit a tree.  The car continued to drive straight, then stopped and turned itself around. It then went back the way I came.  I quickly started to walk through the forest, but stopped when I heard voices. 

"I'm telling you, this has got to be the best vacation ever!" I heard a guy say. Maybe they could help, I needed a ride.

"I don't see what's so amazing about it Eddy. Let's just rest, and let mom and dad catch up to us." I leaned against a tree to rest, then trudged towards them. They came into view, and I collapsed in front of them. 

"Oh my god! Hey, are you okay?" The girl asked. I felt myself being turned over, and looked into identical brown eyes. 

"Yeah." I whispered. They were twins. I saw two more people come up the path, a man and woman holding hands. They ran over to us.

"What happened, Erin, Eddy? Are you alright miss?"  It was the woman. Groaning, I sat up. Hopefully they had a car somewhere.

"I was just walking around, when some guy tackled me, saying I was someone I wasn't. He looked really mad, you know, and I had to get away. I'm just really scared, you know." I put on my Queens accent, these people sounded like they were from the country.

"Oh dear. Dylan, Eddy help her to the car. We'll get you to our hotel, then you can phone someone." She smiled at me. 

"Thank you so much.  I'm Cara." Or that's what my fake passport said. 

"Well I'm Julia, my husband is Dylan, and our twins are Eddy and Erin. You're covered in cuts!" She exclaimed. The boy, Eddy, placed my arm on his shoulder.

"Hey, I'm Eddy." He flashed a grin. I smiled at him we slowly walked on. 

"So where are you from, Cara was it?" He asked me. "I'm from Arizona." Knew it.

"I'm from Queens." True. "I'm here on vacation, I guess you are too?" One guess said that he was around sixteen. 

"Yep." My legs still felt a little wobbly, and my adrenaline rush was wearing off. I felt the dad pick me up. 

"It's okay Cara, you're safe now. You're lucky we were here and nothing happened to you." I had to agree with that. He reminded me of my dad. 

"She looks a lot like cousin Shirley's kid, doesn't she?" I heard Erin whisper to her mother. I tensed, and waited for an answer.

"Maybe a little bit, but not much. Besides, she's studying in Australia." Really, that's the lie my mom came up with? I felt my eyes droop but fought to keep them open. The effects of the anesthesia began to surface, but I kept my eyes open. 

"Hey Cara, it's okay. You can sleep, you've been through a lot." Eddy reassured me. He grinned and his sister smacked him up the head. 

"Stop flirting, she's barely awake Ed." His sister chastised him. I let myself drift off to sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We are officially screwed Elise. First, I'm missing the Packer's game! That sucks in itself." I pulled against my bonds. I had a nasty bruise on my eye. Let's just say "fate" didn't appreciate the punch in the nose. 

"Whose after you Lise?" He asked. I pursed my lips in thought. 

"No one right now, besides the feds. You?" He was silent. Bradley had never told me the people who were hunting him.

"Elise, no one wants me." I heard that lie. I dug my nails into his hands, and he yelped with pain.

"Liar, Liar, pants on fire." He groaned. 

"Are you five? Really Lise, was that necessary?" I rolled my eyes, but he couldn't see.

"We are the worst hostages ever. Let's sing a song!" I suggested. I was already bored out of my mind. 

"How about Barbie Girl?" I suggested and he laughed. "Come on Brad, it'll be fun." I begged. 

"Okay, fine, just because I'm bored." I giggled like a school girl.

"I'M A BARBIE GIRL, IN A BARBIE-" I felt a smack to my face. Where did he come from?" I looked up, but he had already backed into the shadows.

"SHUT UP!" He yelled. Bradley and I burst out laughing. It was just too funny. 

"Knock-knock." I giggled. "Whose there." Bradley asked. 

"Doris."

"Doris who?"

"Doris locked. That's why I'm knocking." We both burst into giggles. I felt Bradley's head fly back, he must of been hit. We quieted down.

"Remind me again why I chose to do this Elise?" Bradley asked me, intertwining our fingers.

"Because we're idiots, that's why." I smiled one last smile as the door opened.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 "Cara! Wake up, we're here." I opened my eyes to see a big hotel room. The previous events came rushing at me. Eddy stood over me.

"Rise and shine sleepy head. Want some lunch?" He asked and I nodded. Eddy set down a sandwich. 

"We just got here, you were asleep for like two hours. You thrash around in your sleep, you know that." Boy did I ever know that, it had gotten me into trouble. 

"Yeah, I know. Thanks for the sandwich Eddy. Can I use the phone though, privately." I asked. He nodded and left the room. I dialed a number I knew by heart. 

"Mom?" 

Unknown P.O.V. 

"I want to meet this Maya girl, and thank her." I proclaimed. Danny nodded at me. 

"She's currently with some family, get this, they're actually her second and third cousins. Neither of them know, I'll tell you if they do.. The Johnson's." Daniel handed me a file. I placed it on my desk, it didn't matter. 

"Silver has a passport saying Cara Fast. Chadsey, or Maya, has equipped her with cash. Tyler is clever, but not clever enough." Truer words were never spoken.

"I want to see her, it's time." I annouched. Danny looked at me shocked.

"Really? I don't think that's a good idea buddy. She's really delicate." True, I frowned.

"Hey boss, is it okay if she calls her mum?" I've already hacked into the security system in their room,  and we can listen to the conversation." I nodded and Danny passed me a pair of headphones.

"Mom?"  I could hear the pain in her voice. I knew that Shirley would be home.

"Oh sweetie! I haven't heard from you in so long, I was so worried!" Elise was silent, until I heard her burst into tears.

"You're alright." She whispered. I took the headphones off and handed them to Danny. 

"I want you to find a way to get that Chadsey girl, and maybe the Mark guy. Tyler is going to be extra cautious with them, so be careful. Also, I want you to send Cane to her, along with Thompson. I have to go meet someone." He nodded and I left the room.

Meet in Lorine's café, 637 Pemerton Street, come alone.- JC

I had a good idea who this came from. I hailed a taxi and got in. Twenty minutes later, I sat down at a table. 

"Hello Sir." Someone politely greeted me. I looked up and grinned, and he returned the gesture.

'Nice to finally meet you Coyle, now let's get down to business." 

BrickStone would fall to the ground, if it was the last thing I would ever do. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 123 60
"How do you feel now, Morgan?" She says, more pointing something out than asking a question. She grabs hold of my wrists and tightens them. If I coul...
20.4K 526 43
Y/N moved to stellis city not long ago. She left everything behind, all at a chance to forget. Forget what happened, forget what she did. forget who...
13K 240 49
Estella was presented as "Dead". After a dark past, she becomes Angelina Clark aka Trigger. Angelina was filled with hate and sought revenge for her...
126K 8.4K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...