Cat of the Fellowship // Lego...

By Mimi_Lind

Unexpectedly turned into a cat, Kat falls into Middle-earth with the mission to prevent a death. In a feline... More

1. Choices
2. Kitty Kat
3. Language Studies
4. Winter Is Coming
5. Dashing Through the Snow
6. Big Bad Warg
7. On the Moria Road
8. Where the Light Does Not Shine
9. Stories in the Dark
10. Drums, Shadows and Flame
11. With Half an Ear
12. Lady in the Woods
13. Caras Galadhon
14. Narcissus
15. It Is a Gift
16. Leaving Lothlórien
17. Row, Row, Row Your Boat
18. Horn of Gondor
19. Kingsfoil
20. Four Hunters
21. You Would Die Before Your Stroke Fell
22. An Old Man, Hooded and Cloaked
23. The Eagle Flies
24. Kat's Suitor
25. To Helm's Deep
26. A Long Night
27. To Isengard, To Isengard
28. Saruman's Voice
29. The Seeing Stone
30. I See Dead People
31. Women's Rights
32. Ghostbusters
33. The White City
34. Weaver of Fate
35. The Worst Dad
37. Meat on the Menu
38. Into the Wild
39. Crushing the Corsairs
40. The Taming of the Shrew
41. Secret Paths
42. Gollum
43. City Under Siege
44. On the Fields of Pelennor
45. The Return of the King
46. Despacito
47. Mountain of Doom
48. Plain Answers
49. Whole
50. Adanig Nín
51. Inappropriate Thoughts
52. Love Is in the Air
53. Of White Trees and Dates
54. Many Weddings
*Bonus* A Midsummer Night's Dream
55. Aye!
*Bonus II* Autumn Dance Circles
*Bonus III* A Yuletide Reunion in the Shire
Epilogue: The Gift

36. Runner and Kitty

2.4K 153 87
By Mimi_Lind

Luck is my middle name," said Rincewind,
indistinctly. "Mind you, my first name is Bad."

― Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times

36. Runner and Kitty

Beregond galloped swiftly through the city, enveloping Kat's small body with his arms as he held the reins, steadying her as best he could. It was not the most comfortable ride she had had, but by now she was good at keeping her balance even on horseback.

As soon as they were out on the Pelennor fields and without auditors, he began to talk to Kat. He obviously had no idea she could understand him, because he spoke in the kind of baby language some tend to use with pets, but she was grateful for the distraction and didn't mind.

"Aren't you a calm kitty," he cooed. "Such a good girl. Not a scratch on me or the horse despite the rough handling you're getting, poor thing. But you're used to being carried on a horse, I dare say. Mithrandir brought you on his white stallion, didn't he? I wonder why. And why does he want you taken to the cross-roads right at the brink of war? Very strange. You probably wonder too. Well, well. I do as my Master Faramir bids, and it's not my place to ask questions. No, indeed. I am loyal, see? Just like you, little one. We let our masters decide, and follow orders. Yes, we do, don't we?" He patted her awkwardly with one hand before taking up the reins again. "The sky is very dark tonight. It's not good to ride this fast in darkness, but you're a good horse, Runner. I'm calling you Runner, because I forgot to ask for your name. Runner and Kitty. I should probably have brought a torch, to lighten the road. Oh. Look ahead, there is light at the Rammas Echor wall. Perhaps the guards there will let me borrow a torch."

Soon they arrived at the wall, and approached a huge gate with a stone tower on each side. This was another opening than the one Kat had arrived through with Gandalf and Pippin the other day, and seemed better defended.

Beregond subtly swept his cloak around Kat before riding up to the lone guard at the gate. "Beregond son of Baranor from the Citadel Third Company, requesting passage."

"State your errand," came the reply.

"It's confidential." There was a crackle of paper when he passed Faramir's note to the guard.

"Out on a secret mission on this bleak night? I don't envy you."

"Orders are orders," replied Beregond. "And talking of orders... Lord Faramir will arrive soon after me. His father sends him to lead the defence at Osgiliath."

"Oh no." The guard sounded dismayed.

"You had hoped the steward would call you back inside the city?" Beregond guessed.

"I had. Even with our captain, we're too few to hold both the wall and Osgiliath. What difference can one more man make? We would need several companies."

"It is what it is," said Beregond. "I for my part wish I wouldn't have to cross the river tonight... Do you think I could borrow your torch?"

"Of course. I have plenty."

"Thank you. Best of luck, my friend."

"You too. Have a safe ride."

Beregond continued, but did not take his cloak off Kat. "Sorry about this, little Kitty," he murmured. "Couldn't let him see you, and soon there will be more guards over at western Osgiliath. But I shall free you when we are safe at the other side of the river."

His cloak smelled none too clean, but Kat understood the wisdom in remaining hidden and complied without fuss.

A while later Beregond halted the horse again, and there was a similar exchange with the Osgiliath guards as with the one at the wall before. Just like him, these men seemed dismayed to learn that they must stay and defend the river.

"If only the Riders of Rohan were here yet," said one. "At least then we might stand a chance."

"May the Valar protect us if they don't come," sighed the other guard.

Then Kat heard the rushing sound of the river grow closer, followed by splashes as the horse began crossing.

"Good boy, Runner," murmured Beregond. "Stay in the shallow part. I just hope you can see where that is, for I certainly cannot." His voice was shaking slightly. "That's the way. Good boy, well done. Too bad the last bridge is gone, or this would have been easy. Lots of rubble in the water, it seems, but your feet are sure, dear Runner. Good boy. Hope you're doing well in there Kitty. I think you had better stay, or you might be frightened. I'm bundling you up like a baby. Makes me remember when my boys were little; Bergil and Borlas. They– Oh! It's getting deeper. Strong current too, I imagine. Spring flood, you know. I'll just..." He shifted in the saddle, drawing up his knees. "I try to keep my boots dry. A good pair, these; bought them from old Gelmir down in Artisan Alley. Best shoemaker in Minas Tirith, if you ask me, but sadly he passed. They don't make boots like these anymore, you know. Ah!" There was a splash, and Kat felt an icy, damp patch grow on the cloak. "My boots! My poor boots. Let's get you back to the shallows, Runner. Come on. This way, I think. You can do it. It's darn cold, isn't it! May Ulmo protect us, and Uinen still these waves!"

Beregond was trembling heavily now, both from fear and the cold, and Kat began to feel nervous as well. What was happening? She could hardly move in the cloak bundle, tightly gripped by his strong arm. What if he dropped her? The heavy wool would pull her down.

The journey was already becoming more dangerous than she had anticipated, and she was not even alone yet. Biting down a surge of panic, she focused on remaining still, allowing Beregond to concentrate on the horse and help it cross.

"I can see land. Good boy, Runner. Soon there. Keep fighting it. Just another yard now, aaand... Yes! We're up! We made it!"

Kat breathed out with relief; cats and water were not a good combination. Hopefully there were no more rivers in their path.

Then it struck her that she had no idea what the landscape looked like ahead, or what kind of place this Cirith Ungol was. Why didn't she bring a map? But as usual there had been too little time to prepare. She just had to hope Gandalf knew what he was doing, and that her nose would be enough to lead her right.

The splashes were replaced by the reassuring drumbeat of hooves against flagstones as the ride continued, and at last Kat was freed of the damp cloth and could look around. They had left the black, unruly waters behind and were cantering along a dark street littered with debris. On either side were ruins of what must have been a big city once, quite on par with Minas Tirith, but now it seemed completely abandoned with the only light coming from Beregond's torch.

"Fair Osgiliath," he mumbled between chattering teeth. The poor man was soaked from the knees down. "Or at least, it used to be fair. My old grandpa would tell me stories about it when I was a boy." His voice dropped to a whisper. "But I should keep my voice down; we are coming into dangerous lands." He swallowed nervously. "Someone less loyal might have just dropped you here and hurried back, but not me. My lord Faramir knows what he's doing, I'm sure, though I cannot see what good one cat could do against the Dark Lord."

Kat secretly agreed. What good could she do in this form?

"Perhaps you are magic somehow. A demon in a cat's body?" He snorted. "If so, you probably understand every word I say and think I'm crazy. Well, it's actually the opposite. Speaking to you helps keep me sane." He patted her awkwardly again.

The paved street soon ended and the ruins as well, and the road became little more than a dirt path between barren, tree-less hills.

Despite what he had said about keeping his sanity by talking, Beregond became silent. Kat heard his quick, shallow breaths, and sensed his terror at being out here, and the horse apparently did as well. He snorted and tossed his head, but thankfully kept up his fast gait.

If only Kat were a demon, or some other mighty being... As a small cat she felt powerless and frankly rather useless too. Before she was separated from Legolas, she had been able to comfort him and help ease his brooding mood; that was some worth at least.

She wondered what he was doing now, and where he was. Perhaps sleeping in a camp somewhere between here and Rohan, together with Gimli, Merry, Aragorn and Théoden's riders.

Did he think of her? Miss her? But he probably had more important things to worry about, such as a bloody war coming up.

Would she ever meet him again? She wished she had asked Ronald who in the Fellowship would survive – he had it all written down, so he would know, right?

Thinking of Ronald brought back the rest of Kat's confusing soul travelling earlier that day, and now she had time to summarize and think through what she had learned. Firstly, that she must stay away from winged beasts in a group, or she might leave her body again. Secondly, that Mr Pretty Voice's wife knew everything that would happen with the Ring and the Fellowship – and that this was the second try, where they had added Kat to the mix for some unknown reason. Thirdly, she was now certain she had not died when Johan shot her, and that her body was comatose in her own world.

The first time she went to the Halls and made her choice, Mr Pretty Voice said she would be healed as a reward, and allowed to live in her own world or in this world. That meant she would get her woman's body back either way.

If she chose to live in this world, and Legolas survived, they would then meet as man and woman – or, elf and woman, she corrected herself. As her real self, could she somehow make him interested in her? She was terrible at flirting. What would she even say?

Kat found herself starting to daydream about such a meeting, temporarily replacing her worry over her present predicament with warm and fuzzy feelings about a possible future.

In the dream, she was wearing something nice – a dress with cleavage, perhaps, for even elves must like that sort of thing, right?

"Legolas! I'm so glad you made it too!" she exclaims, smiling happily.

He returns her smile with his adorable grin and gives her a rough embrace, overjoyed to see her alive. Then he remembers his manners and greets her more formally, taking her hand and kissing it. "A pleasure to finally meet you as yourself, adanig nín," he says with a flourish bow.

"The pleasure is all mine." She meets his gaze, and even as a human she must tilt her head slightly to do so. His blue eyes reflect the sky, and she becomes lost in them.

His smile wanes and his eyes grow large as he realizes her feelings are the same as before.

"Yes, I still feel that way," she confirms, wanting to be honest with him. "I know it must have felt weird with a cat being attracted to you, but I'm a woman now."

He swallows. "Aye, I can see that." His gaze flickers to her cleavage.

She takes a step closer. "I don't want to pressure you or anything. Can we be just good friends as before, and see where that leads us? If this is meant to be, then such feelings will come naturally."

He nods. "Friends. Of course." But something in his eyes makes Kat suspect he already feels more than that.

He offers her his arm, and they walk through a lovely park together. The moon shines down on them, a nightingale sings, and there are flowers everywhere. Legolas talks about trees, and Kat tells him stories like she did in Moria. All night they walk together, best friends again.

They become tired and sit on a bench. Kat's head begins to droop, and Legolas suddenly puts his arm around her, allowing her to lean against his strong shoulder. His scent is the same as she remembers, and she draws it in, feeling a buzz of emotions in her chest at being that close to him.

He pushes back a strand of her black hair, his finger soft against her temple. "I missed cuddles," he admits.

"Me too. I dare say you prefer cuddles with someone who has no claws," she teases.

He smiles, but his eyes are serious. "I do."

Again Kat drowns in his gaze.

His face comes closer. "May I?" he murmurs huskily. His breath tickles her cheek.

"Yes..." she whispers.

Cupping her cheek, he gives her a soft kiss. "I think I love you, adanig nín..."

"May the Valar save us!"

Beregond's desperate hiss brusquely pulled Kat out of her sweet daydream. Then she saw what he saw, and added a hiss of her own. Ahead of them the horizon looked like it was on fire, and when she looked closer she realized it was a forest of torches.

The enemy was coming.

"What should I do? They will kill me if I continue, but we are still far away from the cross-roads!"

Kat felt his panic, and a knot of fear began to build up within her. He was right; it would be a suicide mission for a man to ride through Sauron's army. But she might succeed. She was tiny, and camouflage-colored of sorts – she could sneak past the approaching host and find the cross-roads herself. It was the only way.

She placed a paw on Beregond's hand and meowed softly.

"Shush now, Kitty," he sobbed. "We are doomed, but my master needs you through there, and somehow–"

"Meow!" Kat shook her head. She pointed at herself, and then the path. "Meow." Then she pointed at Beregond, and back where they had come from. "Meow meow!"

While she tried to get her message through, the poor man had grown even paler than before, and now he stared at her like she was a ghost.

"You are a demon," he whispered.

She shook her head. "Meow."

It was clear he didn't believe her, and he almost threw her off the horse in his hurry to put her down. "Sorry for this. I really am, but... I have a family to consider. I hope you make it." With that he swiftly turned the horse and left at a gallop.

Dismayed, Kat looked long after him, and remembered seeing this scene in the Mirror. The vision had been so brief she had not recognized Beregond as that rider until now.

Then she turned back towards the flaming horizon. It was time. Crossing herself with her paw, she said a silent prayer and left the path.

Now all she had to do was evade notice from Sauron's army, find the way to the cross-roads and pick up Gollum's trail. Easy-peasy.

A/N:

I'm the worst when it comes to daydreaming. I tend to make up long scenes and dialogue – and have been doing so ever since my teens. Back then it was kind of frustrating, because when the scenarios I imagined actually came to pass (such as when I got the chance to talk to a boy I liked) the darn fellow never said the lines I had prepared for him. Killjoys, the lot of them. ;)

Hugs and kisses to all amazing human beings who voted and commented on the last chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

154K 6.3K 40
LEGOLAS/OC. MOVIE VERSE. Desperate to save her father, Anastasia made a grave choice and struck a deal that eventually led her to be banished to Midd...
191K 6.3K 77
"King Thranduil's voice rung out again, filling the area, 'And Legolas? Do not fail, she could be the tipping of the balance that Middle-earth needs...
177K 8.7K 46
A shadow lies on Thranduil and his forest, and only a power stronger than the darkness of old can save them. Grief and loss have turned him into a ki...
47.9K 2.3K 20
Nymmril, a young skin-changer from the far deserts, has been under the care of his Keeper Beorn for centuries. With the dragon present, it was deemed...