Step of Faith

By helenaj05

"You never truly know how much you want something until it's within your hands reach." - Blair Ivy is a senio... More

Introduction
Character aesthetics
Chapter II: Unexpected beginnings
Chapter III: Shedding tears
Chapter IV: Petty is my middle name
Chapter V: Favorite song
Chapter VI: The truth uncovered
Chapter VII: Late night conversations
Chapter VIII: Game night
Chapter IX: Competition stress
Chapter X: Apologies
Chapter XI: Not so friendly
Chapter XII: Twenty questions
Chapter XIII: Touch
Chapter XIV: Revenge and Forgiveness
Chapter XV: Pictures
Chapter XVI: Wishes
Chapter XVII: Thigh pincher
Chapter XVIII: Reminiscing
Chapter XIX: Quiet
Chapter XX: Needed you
Chapter XXI: Vulnerable
Chapter XXII: Little sister
Chapter XXIII: Sit and Wait
Chapter XXIV: Mistletoe
Chapter XXV: Never wake up
Chapter XXVI: What we deserve
Chapter XXVII: On my best behavior
XXVIII: Locker room full of tears
Chapter XXIX: Coming together
Chapter XXX: No silent treatments

Chapter I: Off to a slippery start

11.5K 241 104
By helenaj05

Chapter I

Suck in a breath and hold it. Hold it until the teacher passes. Hope and pray that he or his wife will have nothing to say. They always do.

I'm scared. I'm always scared but I don't have a choice. This is my life and I have to live with it.

"Blair, step forward," Mrs. Catherine calls out. A lump forms in my throat.

"Everyone look at Blair now," everyone's eyes drop onto me.

Their stares felt like fire ants running across my whole body. I felt sick, one wrong move and I would throw up.

"You're looking at your new star figure skater. She has been invited to the World Hockey Championship, to perform before the games. It will also be a championship for you, so don't mess it up, kid," she applauds with a mild smile.

I blink and I'm not sure I heard that right. The applause of the other skaters only confirms that what I heard was real.

A sigh leaves my lips. I've wanted to participate in the championship since I was a little girl. Seeing the beautiful skaters on the ice before the big games was thrilling. I'm pretty sure I even wished on a falling star to participate.

I never dreamed that I would really be the one chosen. There are a lot of good skaters here but the coaches always praise me. I don't even think I'm that good.

"Practice is over for today. I know we didn't get on the ice but the physical was much needed," Mrs. Catherine's husband Carl exclaimed. I approached them.

"I promise I won't let you down. I'll get some skating exercises in. Plus, I have to stay in the rink anyway, one of the hockey coaches asked me to show the boys some balance exercises," I thanked him politely.

"Of course. This dedication is why you were chosen. The hockey team comes in at 6:30 so you have an hour for yourself, see you tomorrow at individual practice." Carl packed up and left.

Carl was a bit nicer than his wife but to a certain extent. I was convinced they actually had a sweet spot for me because they didn't yell at me as much as the others.

Catherine was fond of pointing out how everyone looked. Hair, face, legs, body, arms. Literally anything on you and if it wasn't up to her standards she would say it to your face.

Carl on the other hand yelled at you if there was a single step out of place. When I messed up I used to get panic attacks just before walking up to him because I knew he would be mad.

Sometimes he wasn't that strict but everyone was scared of him anyways. I shook off the jittery feeling.

I put on my skates and went on the ice.

The ice was my safe haven. For as long as I could remember it was my escape. From home, from school, from stress, from anything really.

Skating makes me feel free. Like I could be anyone or anything.

The hockey coach had approached me last week while I was picking up my class schedule. Apparently, his team was really good in the whole hockey department but needed discipline and skating training.

I accepted because I had free time. I used to teach children but because I need to graduate my senior year of college I paused the classes. Hockey was also a big part of my life. I know all the terms and the tricks thanks to my big brother.

I turned on "Young and Beautiful" by Lana Del Ray on the ice rink speakers and started skating some laps.

I needed to work on landing my Lutz Jump more gracefully because it was in all of my routines and it is the thing I messed up the most.

Carl always pointed out that I'm not focused because I'm messing up such an easy move. And he was right. There was absolutely no other explanation, it was one of the easiest tricks and I fell out of them too often.

I skated and got ready for the jump.

Breath in, breath out, Blair.

I leaped and twirled. It felt like the ice rink turned around me. I landed it. I usually went for two after one another, but before I could jump I lost my footing on the ice and was on my ass in a wink of an eye.

A couple of laughs I heard made me turn my head. There stood Ridgeview college's hockey team. At least some of them. I checked the time and it was 5:45 pm, they weren't supposed to be here for at least another 40 minutes.

"The hockey team has the rink reserved from 6:30 and for the rest of the night, why are you here so early?" I got up and brushed off my skating pants.

"We thought we'd come in early to train, didn't know the ice rink was occupied," one of them spoke.

"Nice jump you attempted, princess," another one laughed.

I didn't care that they were laughing. If they heard how my coaches talk to me they would try harder with the insults.

I turned around and tried again. In the peripheral of my vision, I saw them taking a seat on the bleachers still watching me.

"Don't worry we won't laugh if you fall," one of them chuckled.

"She's like a deer on ice, do you think she even knows how to skate?" my eyes narrowed at the comment I probably wasn't supposed to hear.

I started skating faster to attempt the jump and when I pulled away from the ice I knew that this was a good jump. I landed perfectly and skated backward continuing on with one of my routines. I skated for about another 10 minutes without any distractions, thankfully.

I finished and headed straight for the bench to sit in the locker room while their practice starts. I did not want to lose my patience before their coach got here because that wouldn't end well for my street cred.

"Now the ice rink's free," I said over my shoulder while chugging my water and picking up my phone. I put on the protectors on my skates, slung my bag over my shoulder, and made my way to the locker room.

I stretched and slept on the bench for a while just listening to music. Trying to get in the zone before I go and play teacher with immature hockey players.

-

"Shut your mouth, Kingston. I don't want to hear it, that is the setting of the rooms and it is final," the coach's yells filled my ears as I approached the rink.

"But coach-" he got cut off.

"But coach," the coach mocked in a high pitch voice, "Do I need to repeat myself? It is final and you can shove the complaints up your ass."

"Oh, you're here. I'm sorry, the team likes to get on my nerves," Coach sighed, giving me a hand to pull me onto the ice.

I hadn't worn my hockey skates since last year so they felt a bit weird.

"What is she doing here?" the boys from before laughed.

"Meet Blair Ivy, my new assistant coach," he announced and I thoroughly enjoyed the boys' faces dropping. I was trying not to laugh so badly, instead, I just smiled and waved towards the boys.

"She will be teaching you discipline and training you in practical skating, so you can become faster,  training your reaction time in skating because some of you look like jelly legged morons on the ice and it's truly tainting my image" the coach explained.

"You will work with her every day at the end or start of practice, sometimes she might not come in but she is officially one of your coaches so treat her with respect. Without further ado, you can introduce yourself," Coach Wilson turned to me.

"Hello, I'm Blair Ivy, a senior here at Ridgeview college. I'm a professional figure skater, have been skating since I was 3, so approximately for 18 years. My coaches are Mr. and Mrs. Brown, they teach figure skating to all ages. I was pleased to accept coach Wilson's offer in teaching you so I'm excited to work with each and every one of you," I smiled at each of them.

"Miss Blair is underestimating herself. She is a World Champion so all of you should be grateful," Coach chuckled while shaking my hand, "Today's practice is all yours, Blair. I'll be in my office if they get out of control," I nodded.

"So first I think you should introduce yourselves, your position and maybe tell me your weakness in skating so I get a bigger picture on what to work on," I was nervous.

They all looked bored and disappointed I'm taking up their practice time. No one was answering and I started fiddling with my fingers. If no one starts speaking I am going to have a long night.

"All of them are fucking rude," One of them skates forward, "I'm James Jackson, people call me JJ for short, I'm a forward. And my weakness is most likely turning around fast enough to skate the other direction," It was one of the boys she saw before but he was the one who hadn't said anything.

"Okay, thank you, JJ. That was actually perfect, we can definitely work on that," I nodded in thanks.

"I'm Dean Kingston, people call me De or Keeps since I'm the goalie. My weakness in skating is, I guess, sometimes twisting my ankles when I try to move quicker," He's the dude who called me a deer on ice. Ironic.

"Thank you, Dean," I smile at him.

"I'm Andrew Levine, I'm known as Levi, I play defense. My weakness is your eyes," he and the rest of the team snort, he's the idiot who said they "wouldn't laugh" when I was skating earlier, "Ok, but if I'm for real then I should work on my balance and agility because those are shit."

"Thank you," I deadpan.

"I'm Liam West, people just call me by my last name, I play defense. My weakness is dodging obstacles, I'm more than sure I run into someone at least once every game," he's the boy who explained why they came early.

"I'm Theodore Grayson, people call me Theo or Gray, I'm a center and the team captain. I don't have any weaknesses, to be honest," he's the one who called me "princess".

"Everyone has at least one," I look him in the eyes and he scoffs.

"I'm guessing you are the seniors and in the starting six?" I ask and JJ nods, "Okay, two defensemen, a goalie...where's the third forward?"

"Oh, that's him, he's a freshman in college," Levi laughs and points to the quiet kid in the corner I didn't notice before.

"What's your name?" after I ask it he starts spelling it out in sign language.

"Okay, Alex Jacobs. And is that what you go by?" his eyes widen at my understanding and he signs back at my question.

"What's your weakness, Jacobs?" I ask him.

He signs out that he would like to improve his speed. And I nod and sign back that I think I can definitely help with that. His lips quirk up in a smile.

"You must be really good, Jacobs, if you got put in the start lines," I look back at the team who are staring at me with their mouths agape.

"Where the hell did you learn sign language?" Levi asks.

"Wouldn't you like to know? Okay next, the second starting line please," I call out to the rest of the team.

While all of them introduce themselves I make a mental list of what to focus on. And a mental list of who I could befriend in the process. I don't have a lot of friends so having some would be great.

Theodore was staring at me throughout the whole thing and I didn't know how to make him stop. And his stare did not feel friendly like JJ's, it felt like he wanted to murder me.

I did not want to deal with him, at least not tonight. I had to move into a new house with new roommates and I had enough on my plate. I had no time or patience to deal with mister "I have no weaknesses".

"Okay fantastic, if I forget your name do not hold it against me, there's a lot of you. How about we start with regular speed skating around the rink. The rest of you step more to the middle so no one gets hurt. So who's first?" I check if anyone wants to go first. No one's moving.

"Fine," I say and start skating myself.

I used to play hockey in winter with my older brother. It was my favorite time of year. My parents always scolded me, that I could get hurt and ruin my career. But my brother taught me so much.

I remember taking some of the things he taught me to practice and the teachers praised me. So I came home and did all of my brother's chores because I was so grateful.

One thing he taught was skating fast. Usually, figure skaters aren't really focusing on that, I did in my free time.

I was quick in the turns and I heard some of them cheering me on. I abruptly stop in front of them spraying the four boys who were laughing at me earlier.

"Not too bad for a deer on skates, huh princess?" I gave them a sarcastic smile.

"Oof, burn bro, you just got roasted," JJ laughed, "Me next."

"Everyone get in a line after JJ and just skate around the rink, this is just the warm-up lap." I skated to get my water.

As I was drinking my water I felt a presence behind me. I turned around.

"You think you're the shit, don't you?" Theo had approached me.

"No, not really." I shook my head.

"You might be an official "assistant coach" but that doesn't mean we'll treat you like one," He enunciated.

I didn't reply. Just watched as he skated away to step in line. What was his problem? I hadn't said a single thing to him. I just got back at him for laughing about me because I'm not going to sit around and act as it didn't bother me.

I leaned against the rink and watched the team skate around. I needed to earn their trust so it's easier to work. But I could feel that Theo would be a grade-A pain in my ass.

As he skated around the rink last, I watched him. He was fast but he was sloppy in the turns, if there was a sudden obstacle in front of him he wouldn't be able to maneuver in the turns. He might be able to dodge it but he would lose most of his speed.

"Again. This time I'm watching each of you," I announced staring right into Theo's eyes.

I was making notes:

JJ - fast. Could work on skating even faster, turn faster.

Dean - slower than JJ but he had more padding so it was a good speed for a goalie.

Jacobs - slower than JJ but excellent, quick turns.

Levi - quick in turns, sloppy footwork.

West - good footwork, can see why he runs into obstacles, slow reaction time in turns.

The rest of the team skated and Theo's turn was approaching. I skated closer to one of the turns.

He took off. While he was at the other side of the rink I readied myself for standing in front of him.

Before he got into the turn I was standing in I skated in his way. His eyes widened and he maneuvered around me, losing speed extremely.

"Are you insane? I could've taken you off you're feet if I hadn't been quick enough," He was furious.

"I found your weakness. You're a sloppy obstacle dodger. Your speed dropped extremely, if it was a game and you'd slow down, what would happen?" I questioned. West raised his hand, "Yes, West?"

"The other team could steal the puck," he answered.

"Exactly."

"You picked all that up from the practice lap?" JJ quirked a brow.

"I picked a lot up during the practice lap," Theo's angry stare was still burning the side of my face, "I know I'm not an official coach and I don't give two flying shits about what you think of me but trust me when I tell you that I know what I'm doing. I've worked with hockey players before and, yes, maybe they were children but it's the same thing because you can learn something new no matter your age. I'm here to help you be the best that you can be because this team means a lot to me."

The team was staring at me. Some of them were whispering. I just wanted to go home and sleep but I have to deal with 20-year-old babies.

"I knew I chose the right person for this job," a voice made me turn around. The coach was standing there with a smug smile on his face. I smiled back.

"Let's end practice today because we're all clearly shaken up about the new changes. But before we go let's get off the ice and stretch." I hear a bunch of protests and groans, "You'll thank me tomorrow when none of your muscles are sore."

I held the gate open and ushered them out. I felt like this is going to be one hell of a year.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.8K 3.5K 56
[COMPLETED] [MATURE CONTENT] Rankings:- #1 matureromance 01/01/21 #1 meangirl 13/01/21 #1 boxer 18/01/21 #1 jock 07/02/21 #1 bitch 05/04/21 #1 antih...
7K 105 37
Adrian Levont, a star hockey player at Ivywood College, finds himself in trouble after a fight during a crucial game. His coach's punishment is an un...
1.5K 114 30
Scarlet just wants to be left alone and finish high school as she moved away from her home. People at her old school saw her as odd and she only had...
133K 1.3K 7
**THIS BOOK HAS BEEN PUBLISHED. THIS IS JUST A SAMPLE.** Nova: It was only supposed to be a one-night stand. Now I can't get him out of my head. Liam...