Please Believe Me

By Beautyinbooksblog

Madison Rosales is not your typical 22- year-old. While everyone her age is out graduating college? She's onl... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Madison
Chapter 2 - Madison
Chapter 3 - Maxon
Chapter 4 - Madison
Chapter 5 - Madison
Chapter 6 - Madison
Chapter 7 - Maxon
Chapter 8 - Madison
Chapter 9 - Maxon
Chapter 10 - Madison
Chapter 11 - Maxon
Chapter 12 - Madison
Chapter 13 - Maxon
Chapter 14 - Madison
Chapter 15 - Maxon
Chapter 16 - Madison
Chapter 17 - Madison
Chapter 18 - Maxon
Chapter 19 - Maxon
Chapter 20 - Madison
Chapter 21 - Madison
Chapter 22 - Madison
Chapter 23 - Madison
Chapter 24 - Madison
Chapter 25 - Maxon
Chapter 26 - Madison
Chapter 27 - Madison
Chapter 28 - Maxon
Chapter 29 - Madison
Chapter 30 - Madison
Chapter 31 - Madison
Chapter 32 - Madison
Chapter 33 - Madison
Chapter 34 - Maxon
Chapter 35 - Maxon
Chapter 37 - Madison
Chapter 38 - Madison
Chapter 39 - Madison
Thank You
Note to the Reader
Please Forgive Me
Please Love Me

Chapter 36 - Madison

10.3K 264 31
By Beautyinbooksblog

The Uber arrived in less than five minutes and took me back to my house. My family were all eager to see me especially Leah but I told them it would have to wait. Telling them I got a last-minute call to head to work.

That's where I am now.

Working the busy Sunday afternoon with a thankfully calm group of customers. I'm thinking about Maxon and how I left him. I know he was looking forward to spending all day together but it just couldn't be. Thankfully, I there will be plenty of more times in the future to do so.

"Thank you for coming in on such short notice Madison." Daniel approaches me, giving me a small smile, his dark eyes taking on an apologetic look.

"No worries. This is what I do." I grab one of the trays the chef hands me and off I go. I have yet to speak with Jake and as the afternoon drags on becoming evening, it's evident he must be waiting to speak with me alone. Shit. Not looking forward to it.

By the time Jake calls for me, there are twenty minutes left till closing time. I walk my exhausted body over to his office and knock on the dark-colored door.

"You can come in." Comes his deep voice from the other side and I send up a little prayer to God for patience and strength. Whatever comes next is no surprise to God. I need to trust in Him.

Carefully, I open the door and find Jake behind his desk trying to catch up on last week's progress by the look of things.

I come to a halt. He's completely healed. No signs of bruises or cuts to his face or body are in sight.

"Madison, come in." He says without glancing up, "Sit." He gestures over at the chair next to him. The only other chair in the office.

My muscles tense as I stiffly walk over to sit on it. I fight the urge to ponder why it's even positioned there. So close to him.

He sets down his papers, turning his body to face me completely. He runs his gaze up and down my body and I feel myself still, waiting for an accusation of something but it never comes, "How are you?"

I'm taken aback by the casual tone in his voice. Something's wrong. Because I'm pretty damn sure your boss doesn't call you in to ask how you're doing.

"I'm glad to see you're alive and well, Jake but what do you really want? I know for a fact you don't care about how I'm doing."

He rears back as if I slapped him, blue eyes wide. "Is it that hard to believe that I care for you? Don't you understand? I love you, Madison. I want what's best for you."

I shake my head. This man is crazy if he thinks he knows what he wants for me. "Glad to speak with you, Jake. I think I'll head home now." I get up and he pushes me back down. I'm stunned by the force with which he did that and don't allow myself to move. "No. I just want to know one thing. Why didn't you show up to work today or yesterday."

Not a question.

"Are you serious? I worked today."

His eyes take on an angry look. "But you weren't planning on it and I want to know why. You never missed work before, Madison. Why now? Don't tell me it's because of Blake."

I cross my arms over my chest, defiance in my eyes. "Does it matter why?"

"So it was because of him." He grinds out. "Don't tell me you gave him a chance and he's now your boyfriend."

"So what if he is? It doesn't involve you."

He lets out a shaky sigh and turns to face forward toward the door. I watch him with caution, ready to flee at any moment. "He's not good for you, Madison. He's an athlete. A famous one at that." He turns to face me slowly and I hold my ground, trying not to let his words penetrate my walls. "Many problems come with fame."

"You don't know Maxon, Jake."

"I don't need to know that asshole." He grinds out.

"Why do you hate him so much? He's done nothing to you."

"Besides beat the shit out of me? Did you know I was in the hospital for the past week? They wouldn't let me leave until they knew I was okay to go."

My cheeks drain of all blood. "You're—I'm so sorry for that Jake but this was on you. You couldn't take no as an answer. And you know what? I quit."

He gets up. "You—what?"

"I quit." I stand up as well, voice coming out stronger this time. "I don't want to work here. For a place where the owner only hired me because of my looks."

"Wha—I never said that."

I scoff. That's the most childish excuse if I've ever heard one. "You did. Right when you were confessing that you 'loved' me. You don't love me, Jake. I don't even think you know what that is."

I take his silence as cue for me to leave. "I'll turn in my notice today."

"You're not leaving, Madison." He says tightly.

My heart speeds up at the dangerous note in his voice. "I am." I quickly exit the room and run to my locker to grab my things.

I text Maxon who thankfully says he's already on his way. Warning bells are going off in my head and I rush over to the main dining area in a daze.

Mara walks over to me, brows pulled together. "Hey, everything all right?" She asks, "How'd the talk with Jake go?"

"Madison!" Comes the boom of his voice and Mara and I turn to face him. He looks like a bull getting ready to attack. "We need to talk!"

Mara looks at me and I meet her gaze, fear in both of our eyes. "We have nothing to talk about, Jake." I try to keep my voice sounding normal as I stare with wide eyes at Mara. "I already told you that I quit."

"What? Madison." Mara grabs onto my arm and I give her a light squeeze. "You can't keep me somewhere I simply don't want to be." I go on.

"This is all because of him, right? Maxon Blake poisoned your mind against me didn't he." He snarls and I take a step back. Mara follows suit.

"He didn't, Jake. You did that yourself. No one else."

"Oh, I see. So if I were a famous, more attractive athlete, you would've given me a chance."

I shake my head. There is no reasoning with him. None. "Something's wrong with you, Jake."

"Are you saying I'm fucked in the head!" Mara and I stand rooted in shock as his veins start bulging in his neck and forehead. "It's all because of that football injury! If those idiots had been looking out for me I would've never gotten that concussion! Is that what you want to hear, Madison? Your little football player boyfriend will get fucked in the head too!" He lets out a horrendous laugh and God, I can't believe none of us had noticed this before.

"What's going on?" Daniel comes from somewhere in the vicinity and when he catches sight of Jake he holds him back. "Jake, calm down man!"

Mara hugs me at that moment and I try to calm her fear down. "Madison."

Headlights appear just as Jake cackles. "And that's if he doesn't die first!"

I completely freeze up and Mara glances up at me. "Madison?"

The double doors burst open and I hear men's footsteps.
"What the hell? Baby," I feel Maxon grip me and hold me in his arms but I'm so startled I can't move. "Madison." He touches my cheek lightly and I see him, almost as if in a daze, glance around. "You." I hear yelling and a girl speaking. I'm not sure what happens but I feel myself being carried to his SUV. I hear another voice speaking that sounds a lot like Maxon's friend but I'm frozen in fear.

"Madison. Mi amor."

A car door closes then the other voice says. "I'll drive."

I sense Maxon next to me, his masculine scent sneaking past my fear.

"Madison" He runs a hand down my hair and brings my forehead to his lips where he drops a tender kiss. "Hey, it's okay. You're okay."

"Maxon. What about Mara?" My voice comes out a whisper as I frantically look around, worried she stayed behind with unpredictable Jake.

"I'm here." I see her peek at me from the passenger's side. I settle back as I see she's okay. "Maxon," my body trembles at the memory. "Jake is not okay. He—"

"Shhh, let's get you both home first."

I nod. Seeking Maxon's safety and comfort as I try to forget something that will surely leave its mark forever.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

684 23 42
... that changes everything Sarah was starting her junior year of high school. Looking at herself in the mirror, she saw a pretty average blonde hair...
9.5K 232 22
Mackenzie Parker has had a crush on Wesley Carter since she was a freshman in highschool. As they get older her feelings start to grow, but get put o...
100K 3.8K 39
Everything has gone downhill for Madison Rosales and Maxon Blake. That happy and in love couple? Where are they? What happened to them? One simple a...
560K 24.1K 106
We're not in love. Our past is a dumpster fire. The best we are is friends with benefits... without the friends' part. Jake Harrison, USC's star quar...