MaNan FF - Humesha : Book 4 [...

By WeirdFascinations

Been together for thirteen years, married for six, two cute children and unconditional love. Is that truly e... More

Chapter 1 : Distance
Chapter 2 : Betrayal
Chapter 4 : Back Together
Chapter 5 : What If...? (Part 1)
Chapter 6 : What If...? (Part 2)
Chapter 7 : Back To Where It All Started?
Chapter 8 : A Step Forward
Chapter 9 : Togetherness
Chapter 10 : Forever, Humesha

Chapter 3 : We Are Family

1.9K 149 25
By WeirdFascinations

It had been a week since Manik had left for his business trip. Nandini knew he had purposely extended the trip to stay away from her.

That being said, Nandini did not stop visiting and catering to Nyonika, who was not aware of the problems between her son and daughter-in-law.

One day, Nandini was dropping Naitik to school as Manik wasn't there. After dropping him off, she received a call from the hospital.

"What? Doctor, is there hope?"

"Okay."

"Yeah I know."

"Hmm...I understand."

"Thank you Doctor."

Nandini hung up and rested her head against the headrest.

'How did my life change in a month? How did I even land in such a situation?!' Nandini wondered to herself.

~~~~~

One year back.

Nandini saw three missed calls from an unknown caller after she came out of her song recording of her comeback album.

"Hello."

"Yes, this is she."

"Okay. What's the matter?"

"Wh-what?"

When Nandini hung up after the call, she immediately went to Manik.

"Manik, I just received a call...Nyonika is sick."

Manik, who was playing games on the phone, looked at her.

"What?"

"Stage 2 Cancer Manik!"

Manik looked back at the phone.

"Don't believe that crap Nandini. It's just a new trick. She's trying to use your weak point, your emotions, to manipulate you. Don't be naïve."

"Manik, it sounds serious!"

"Nandini, please. It's just her new drama. Ugh, I should put her behind bars again." Manik said.

"Manik-"

"Nandini please. Tum phir shuru mat ho jao. Agar itna hi concern hai, toh jao uske paas. Lekin yaha mat aana. It's either her or me." Manik said, getting up from the bed and leaving the room.

~~~~~

She immediately dialled a number and hit the call button.

"Hello beta."

"Hey Dad."

-----

Shrikant was in the car with Pallavi on their way to Mumbai. Pallavi looked at a lost Shrikant.

"Kya soch rahe hain aap?" Pallavi asked.

"Hm?"

"Nyonika ji ke baare main?" Pallavi asked.

"Haan...yeh sab..achanak.."

"Life is unpredictable, Shri."

"Yeah. I can't even imagine how Manik must be feeling. Nandini was crying over the phone, Pallavi. It was heartbreaking." Shrikant expressed himself.

Nandini and Shrikant bonded well over the years. He treated her like a daughter and pampered her and it was really depressing to see her in pain.

"He'll come around. Manik cannot be that heartless. Maa hai vo uski." Pallavi said.

"Pallavi, Nyonika has done the worst things to him. I won't be surprised if he doesn't come."

"Have some hope."

"I will, as long as you are by my side." Shrikant said, holding her hand.

-----

Nandini was at the hospital, looking at a frail Nyonika.

It was hard to not feel some empathy for this woman who created so many problems in her life, who even went so far as to kill her. But now, she has learnt her lesson. Cancer was truly an eye-opener.

"Nandini..."

"Boliye." Nandini rushed to Nyonika immediately.

"I don't have a lot of hope."

Nandini pursed her lips.

"I know my end is near."

"Please aisa mat boliye." Nandini begged.

"I am not scared, don't worry." Nyonika smiled weakly.

"Lekin..."

"Nandini, I just need some happy moments in my life before I go. Can you do that for me? A last favour?"

"Please tell me."

"I want to spend a day with my grandkids."

Nandini nodded.

"Main unko kal laungi."

"Hmm...aur ek cheez."

Nandini bit her lip to control her sobs, she knew what was coming.

"I want Manik, Shri and you by my side for once." Nyonika requested.

"Main koshish karungi."

"Pata hai." Nyonika patted Nandini's hand and gave her a smile.

-----

Shrikant and Pallavi sat in front of Nandini, who was weeping silently.

"How much will you cry Nandini?" Pallavi asked softly, getting up to comfort her.

"It is too much for me...Manik and I haven't talked for a week now. He just doesn't want to see my face Dad! He refuses to talk to me. He talks to the kids and hangs up."

Shrikant held the bridge of his nose.

"Kya kare hum beta? Tumhe pata hai na vo kaisa hai-"

Just then the door opened and Manik walked in with his suitcase, after one week. He looked much different, with his week-old beard, his hair unkempt and shades over his tired eyes.

"Dad?" Manik took his shades off and hugged his father. He hugged Pallavi and smiled at her. And then he casted a glance at Nandini who looked like she just finished crying a while ago.

"Aapne bataya nahi ki aap Mumbai aane waale ho?"

"Haa..vo..."

"Main lunch serve karti hu." Nandini ran off to the kitchen to avoid any arguments.

A few seconds later Manik walked in, looking pissed.

"What the hell were you trying to do, playing the sympathy card? Yeh cheap tactics kab se karne lag gayi tum?" Manik said, holding her hand and turning her around roughly.

Nandini held his hand and pushed it away from her angrily.

"Answer me Nandini. You think that if you call my dad and tell him how you betrayed me and cried in front of him, I will give in?"

"Stop it Manik! Bohot hogaya tumhara! I can't let you humiliate me anymore. Uss din maine kuch nahi bola tumhe, when you pushed me against the counter. Do you even know that my hand bled?"

"What?" They heard a voice.

Both of them turned around and looked at Shrikant.

"Manik...yeh kya bol rahi hai Nandini?"

Manik closed his eyes to calm himself down while Nandini looked away.

"Dad, please give us a moment alone."

"Shri, aap chaliye yaha se-"

"Nahi Pallavi. Ruko tum. Manik what is wrong with you son? How can you treat her like that? Maana maine ki usne tumko jhoot bola hai, iska matlab yeh nahi hai ki you resort to getting physical."

Nandini covered her face with her hand, not knowing how to react to this situation. This was really not how she wanted things to go.

"Dad, it's better if you don't interfere in this matter. Please enjoy your stay here." Manik walked out of the kitchen leaving the three of them behind.

"It was a mistake calling you two here. I am sorry Dad...usne aap se bahut rudely baat kiya." Nandini said.

"Yeh kya bol rahi ho Nandini? Mujhe sorry mat bolo. Aur yeh kya suna maine? He hurt you?" Shrikant was extremely ashamed of his son.

"Vo..."

"Main uski taraf se maafi mangta hu. Shaayad yeh sab meri galti hai...if I had-"

"No aap kyun sorry bol rahe hai...nahi nahi."

"Usne tumhaare saath kuch..." Shrikant asked and licked his lips nervously.

Nandini tried to figure out what Shrikant was hinting at and she shook her head violently.

"No! No! Manik aisa kabhi nahi karega, Dad! Please, nahi."

Shrikant nodded, feeling a bit calmer.

"Nandini, I don't think it is appropriate to stay here." Pallavi said.

"Aisa nahi hai. Please don't think about all this. Aap yahan aaram se rahiye." Nandini smiled and left, leaving Shrikant and Pallavi perplexed.

-----

Nandini took her kids to meet their grandmother. Nandini noticed how affectionate Nyonika was to them.

'Manik ke saath bhi aise rehti toh life kitni different hoti uski.' Nandini thought.

Madiha fell asleep after getting tired, beside Nyonika. She was hugging Nyonika from the side.

"They are so precious Nandini." Nyonika said, caressing Madiha's long and shiny hair.

"Both of them remind me of Manik. Naitik toh uske tarah dikhta bhi hai. Madiha's personality is just like his." Nyonika said.

"The Malhotra genes are stronger than Murthy genes." Nandini said with a smile.

"Very true. Achha Nandini...ek baat hai."

"Boliye."

"I have some wealth left...not a lot, of course. But jitni bhi hai, I am going to write them off to my grandchildren. They can access it after they turn 18." Nyonika said.

"Iski kya zaroorat hai?"

"Zaroorat hai. Don't I have a right in them as well?" Nyonika asked.

"Hai toh."

"Toh phir? Just accept it." Nyonika said.

Nandini smiled.

-----

Two days later.

Nyonika's condition was worsening. On the one hand, the doctor declared that she was giving up on her life. On the other hand, Nandini was extremely stressed. Manik showed no signs of coming to visit her.

"Nandini, I think mujhe Manik ka wait nahi karna chahiye. I will come with you to meet Nyonika." Shrikant said.

Nandini nodded sadly. She had really hoped on the impossible, hadn't she?

"Ji, main aur 20 minutes main niklungi. Bas bachhon ko Mukti ke ghar chhod ke jaayenge." Nandini said, and went to get ready.

"Tum ready nahi huyi?" Shrikant asked Pallavi, who was reading a book.

"Nahi. Main nahi aa rahi."

"But why?"

"Shri, I think you should spend time with her. It won't be appropriate for me to come. I don't know her properly. Besides, such crucial moments should be spent with family. You go. I will wait for you." Pallavi said with a smile.

Shrikant nodded and went to get ready.

-----

Nandini saw Manik in his pajamas, working on his laptop.

Sighing, Nandini took her clothes from her wardrobe and went to the bathroom. Manik looked up when she left.

Ab mere samne change bhi nahi karegi? So much distance?

Nandini came out and Manik looked at the laptop again. She sighed and went to comb her hair. Fed up with his silence, she turned.

"Mujhe pata nahi mere bolne se tum par koi asar hoga ki nahi. Lekin main aaj chup nahi rahungi."

Manik looked up to see her frustrated expression. That's when he noticed how exhausted Nandini looked. All of this had surely taken a toll on Nandini too.

"I know she wasn't the best parent Manik. But it was 15 years ago. You promised me that you will move on from that. She served her punishment in prison Manik! She is bloody dying in the hospital, day by day. Sympathy ke liye main gayi thi pehle. Now I have seen a lot of changes in her. You know how much she loves our children and how much they love her? Do you know how lucky you are that you still have a chance to see your mother while she is still alive?!"

"Mujhe dekha hai na tumne? Har saal uss din par main Amma aur Appa ke liye roti hun! Nothing and no one can replace them and their memories. I couldn't even spend time with them right before they took their last breath. Pata hai kitna mujhe regret hota hai. Ek proper conversation agar unke saath ho jaata toh kitna achha hota! But no, Rishabh and I were fighting when the accident took place."

"You have one last chance to meet your mother and let go of the grudges you hold against her. One last chance Manik. And do you know, it is her last wish to meet you and Dad together, as a family?"

Manik looked at her, as tears welled up in his eyes, but he kept them at bay, trying his best to not to show his emotions.

"Ek moment bita lo unke sath Manik. She does not expect a lot from you. Just some humanity and respect, please? I know you, you are not that cruel, if you are still my Manik. Lately, both of us have become strangers to each other, isliye mujhe tumse koi expectations nahi. Lekin ek baat sunlo Manik. You are what you are because of her, in a way. You are in this world because of her. We are together, having two gorgeous kids, because of her. Agar life ke liye thodi se bhi gratitude ho, agar tum ab bhi mere Manik ho, agar tum main abhi bhi vo 5 year old Manik hai jo apni Maa ko pyaar karta tha, meet her today." Nandini said and left the room with her bag.

Manik rested his head against the bed, letting his tears flow.

---------

Nandini, Shrikant and Pallavi reached the hospital, where they came to know that Nyonika was really sick.

"How much time do you think...is left?" Nandini asked the most dreaded question.

"I think...just today." The doctor said, patting Nandini's shoulder, before leaving.

Nandini turned towards Shrikant who looked disturbed as well.

"Vo aayega?" Shrikant asked.

"Frankly, I don't know Dad. Let's wait for five more minutes, and then we'll go inside." Nandini said, trying to keep her tears from flowing. She had to be strong for all of them.

"Thik hai."

Both of them sat down on the chairs, waiting to see if Manik came.

Five minutes passed but no one came.

"I think we should go in, Nandini." Shrikant said, getting up.

Nandini hesitantly got up from the chair and looked to her left and right for one last time.

"We can't expect-"

"Should we go in?"

They heard a hoarse voice. Nandini turned around to see Manik standing there, with a blank expression.

"You came...!" Nandini exclaimed and smiled weakly.

"Let's go." Shrikant patted Manik's back and opened the door.

Nyonika was in a half-sitting position, with closed eyes. As soon as she heard the door open, she opened her eyes and the sight was unbelievable. Her ex-husband, son and daughter-in-law were right there and it was not a dream. Manik winced as he saw the number of wires and tubes around Nyonika.

"Shri...Manik..." Nyonika whispered as they stood beside her. Shrikant smiled and held her hand.

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Good...very good. Thank you Nandini." Nyonika thanked Nandini genuinely. Nandini smiled with tears and Manik noticed their interaction. It was surprising for him to see that they had become so close.

He looked at the floor, hardly making eye contact with anyone as Shrikant talked to Nyonika.

"Your wife didn't come?" She asked.

"No. Today is just for the four of us, according to her."

Nyonika nodded.

"I am sorry Shri..."

"Shh...yeh time nahi hai yeh sab ke liye."

"No...I wanted to say it."

"It's okay Nyonika. I have let it go."

After some conversation, Nyonika looked at Manik, who was still not looking at her.

"Manik..."

Manik closed his eyes tightly, tightening his fists.

"Thank you for coming." Nyonika said that and looked at Nandini.

Manik finally looked at her.

"Thank you?" Manik muttered.

"Hmm?" The three of them looked at him.

"I want to talk to her alone...can you two?" Manik looked at them.

"Hmm, okay!" Nandini said and left the room with Shrikant, finally happy that Manik spoke to her and was willing to talk to Nyonika.

"Thank you? Bas? That's all you have to say to me?" Manik asked.

"Man...ik?"

"How could you do this to me? How could you affect me like this and make me feel these things when you are not going to stay? Aur kitna dard dogi?" Manik asked, his eyes welling up. He gripped the railing at the edge of the bed, looking down, his shoulder hunched in something akin to defeat and helplessness.

A tear slipped from Nyonika's eye as well.

"I am sorry Manik. I am sorry for everything."

Manik looked at her, the deep-rooted distrust in Nyonika made him look for one sign of malice and pretence. After all, it was easier for him to hate Nyonika than to accept that he was going to lose a parent.

"Manik. I know you have your reasons to hate me. That is okay." Nyonika said, her voice sounding frail and painful, as if she was using every inch of her fading energy to get the words out of her.

"Life mein main bohot grudges rakhe the. Your father and I were not happy. He was absent for most of the time we were 'together'." Nyonika said.

"When...when I had a miscarriage..." She continued and looked at Manik, who nodded as if to tell her she could go on, "...I was in a very bad mental state. And I took it out on you, very badly. I know it was wrong and there is nothing that can undo my bad deeds."

Manik's throat tightened up, listening to Nyonika's words, getting flashbacks of all those dark moments of his childhood.

"But the hatred, the self-loathing and the grudges I held all my life since then, all of that has festered into...this. Look at me Manik, isn't this pitiable? I lived my life hating everyone and myself, didn't forgive your father for leaving me alone at the worst part of my life, treated you so cruelly, look what I have become. All that because I held on to grudges and resentment."

Manik looked up and saw Nyonika, her face pale and almost lifeless, her hands frail and her body looking weaker than ever. It was not the Nyonika he knew, not the beautiful, fierce and heartless Nyonika Malhotra.

"Let go, Manik. Let go of the grudges you hold against me, your father and even Nandini for hiding this from you. She did it for me and you. She would never do anything to willingly hurt you."

Manik bent over the railing, resting his forehead against it and letting his tears flow freely. He sobbed as Nyonika rubbed his back gently, wondering. Had she done this 25 years ago, how would he have turned out?

"I don't want you to ever go through the pain that cancer can cause. I don't want Nandini and the kids to go through the pain of losing you. So let it go, for them. Forgive me for them. Start fresh Manik, you still have time to do that." Nyonika said and after one last pat, she took her hand back and Manik slowly sat up straight.

"Why now? All of this fucking wisdom. Why now?"

Nyonika smiled weakly and looked outside through the window in her hospital room.

"When the cancer was detected, it was already declared that I didn't have a lot of time left. It was terminal and they had told me that all I could do was to slow it down."

"You can imagine that I did not deal with it well." Nyonika said, laughing a bit.

"I can imagine." Manik said, knowing how hysterical Nyonika could get.

"A clinical psychologist was assigned to me. Initially I was reluctant but during one of those sessions, I just broke down and talked about my deep-rooted issues. And that's when the psychologist gave me the wisdom I have now."

"Better late than never." Manik quipped, wiping his tears.

"Exactly."

"So what do you want now?" Manik asked, "You want me to tell you that I forgive you? Because that would be a lie."

"No. I know it isn't easy and will probably take you months, even years. All I want is for you to promise me that you will let go of your resentment and grudges. For your sake." Nyonika said and Manik nodded, swallowing the knot in his throat. He wanted to stay nonchalant but for the life of him, he just couldn't stop his tears.

"Don't hate yourself for feeling bad for me, Manik. You're a good person and this," Nyonika said, reaching out to wipe a tear off his cheek, "is a sign that you are not the monster I wanted you to be. Nothing could ever take away the kind person in you. You are good, Manik. I am sorry I ever tried to-"

"It's okay. You should let it go as well." Manik said, his voice sounding rough and broken as well.

"I know. I just want to say I am sorry."

"I am sorry too...Mom." Manik said, finally saying the word that he had wanted to say desperately all those years. Manik hesitated for a minute but finally said it and held her hand. Nyonika burst into tears, holding Manik's hands tightly. Manik held her hand near his lips and placed a small kiss.

"Let's let it go." Manik said.

She nodded, wiping her tears with her other hand.

"Ek request hai." She said, placing her other hand on their joined hands.

"Hmm?"

"Can we click a picture with all of us and the children?" Nyonika asked.

"Okay." Manik said and slowly loosened the grip on Nyonika's hand, letting them go, and went out to inform Nandini. Nandini didn't wish to waste time and called Mukti to bring the kids immediately.

"Dadi!" Madiha ran up to Nyonika, as soon as she arrived. Mukti smiled seeing Manik's smile and looked at Nandini.

"All good?" Mukti asked.

"For the time being. I just wish Manik some courage to deal with what happens later. They had a proper conversation after so many years." Nandini said.

"Hmm...I understand."

Mukti offered to click a picture of all of them, one last time.

"Cheeese!" Madiha said.

All of them laughed, happily and sadly at the same time.

The last few moments that Nyonika spent was with the three of them. She took her last breath two hours after her conversation with Manik.

-----

A private funeral was arranged for Nyonika, attended by close family and friends. Manik performed the last rites as the son. It was difficult to explain to the children what exactly had happened with Nyonika, after all it was their first experience of death. Shanno handled it carefully, unwilling to cause more stress to Nandini and Manik.

After all the formalities and rituals, Nandini saw Manik lost, standing in the balcony, after everyone left. Nandini went to the balcony and stood next to him.

"Thank you." She said softly.

Manik looked at her.

"Thank you for being my Manik and I am sorry for everything." Nandini said.

"I am sorry too." Manik said, turning towards her fully.

"Sorry for hurting you. Pata nahi main kya soch raha tha." Manik said, touching her wrist. She closed her eyes, feeling his loving touch after weeks.

He bent forward to kiss her and she wrapped her arms around his neck. Being out of breath, she broke the kiss, taking her arms back and slipping out of his hold.

"Manik."

"Hmm."

"We need a break."

Manik looked at her in shock. He stumbled back and looked at her, his eyes wide.

"Nandini yeh tum kya bol rahi ho?"

"I mean, we need a break, as a family. Let's go away. I...want to go to the US. My childhood home."

Manik sighed, relieved that Nandini didn't suggest a break from him. As long as he was with his family, he didn't care where they were.
Manik heaved a sigh of relief as he was almost going to have a panic attack.

"Whatever you want. I just need you, Nandini."

"And we need a break. This year has been exhausting and emotionally draining, Manik. I think we need a change of atmosphere." Nandini said and hugged him, resting her head on his chest while Manik hugged her back tightly, resting his chin on her head.

-----

Author's note-

Like I have said a thousand times already, Manik is my favourite character. He is imperfectly perfect and I love to explore his emotions. Initially, I used to be hesitant to explore his point of view because he was a man and I am not😂 but then I delved deeper into his perspective and focused on his emotions rather than his gender and I think I understood many things about him. This is my interpretation of Manik and I wanted him to have actual closure with Nyonika. He is kind and a warm person underneath that cold exterior and held out fruitless hope for years that his mother would accept him. And when she did, it was too late.

All I wanted to write was about how grudges can cause physiological harm. I have seen many old relatives in my family who have held resentment and anger against someone their whole life and suffer through mental and physiological issues. Nyonika seems to have gone through some really traumatic situations in her life which made her the bitter person she became. But it's never too late for a person to change.

I hope y'all can understand my interpretation. This was a very important part for Manik's character arc and will show his maturity and growth.

From here on, Manik and Nandini will be on a path to heal💖 as long as they are family, they will be healthy and happy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 601 13
She Left Him He Still Love Her She Broke Him He Still Need her only His Family Hates Her For Them she is A cruel Mother and wife For him She is stil...
356K 19.5K 27
Manik and nandani are married for 4 months but manik didn't expected her. Nandani tried to make their relation work but she too stop trying. She is b...
968K 51.5K 47
It's a manan story where two strangers eventually fall in love and get married after lot of twists and turns in their lives
14.3K 942 13
Another fiction on MANAN. Hope you guys will like it. Story based on common baseline of a movie. But changes will be made accordingly to the charact...