Project Heart(h) āœ“

By glassEyed

Junak Baruah wants to win the prestigious short film competition in his university. But with hundreds of part... More

Project Heart(h)
Glossary
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Two Months Later
Three Months Later
Four Months Later
Six Months Later
Nine Months Later
Twelve Months Later
Sixteen Months Later
Eighteen Months Later
Nineteen Months Later
Twenty Months Later
Twenty Two Months Later
Acknowledgements

Epilogue

724 75 92
By glassEyed

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Junak beamed at his laptop screen, at Banhi grinning back at him with an awfully decorated chocolate cake held in her hands. There were three candles on it that she blew out the exact moment Junak blew at the camera.

"I'm sorry, I'm late," she cried, cutting a piece of the cake and eating it. She was sitting on a couch, with sunlight pouring across the side of her face. "It's the damned time zones."

"Uh huh," Junak pretended to be upset as he absently petted Satan who was lying on his lap, eyeing Banhi with unwavering interest. "Or you just don't love me anymore."

"Hey! I baked you this cake. That's love."

"The cake that you're eating right in front of me, all on your own?"

"It's not my fault you live in that dump, halfway across the world."

Junak laughed. "You could've had a cake delivered to–"

"Hey!!" Niribili appeared on the screen, dressed in pyjamas, with her hair wet around her shoulders. "Happy birthday." Satan barked at the screen. "Hello to you too, Satan." She sat on the couch beside her girlfriend and cut a piece of cake for herself. Banhi was not the best cook around but Junak was starting to crave that cake now, supposedly his birthday cake. "How was your day? It must be evening for you, right?"

"Yup, it's... a little past six." He was sitting in his room, on a double bed that was all tucked in, neat and tidy, due to his mother and Dikhou. The wall behind him was decorated with pictures of his friends and family, especially those from Nonrong. The table and shelves were cluttered with books, film equipment, Satan's toys and lamps that Dikhou had recently gotten obsessed with collecting. On the couch were half a dozen shopping bags – gifts from his mother.

"What'd you do today?" Niribili asked, while Banhi wriggled her eyebrows and said, "Did Dikhou do anything special?"

Junak blushed while Satan perked on hearing Dikhou's name. "No, uh... he had work today. I mostly hung out with Ma. We went to a photo exhibit, then went shopping with Puhor and Faiza-di. The lunch was on Puhor, which was a cheap-ass gift because he took us to the restaurant where he had discount points."

Junak's friends laughed.

"I seriously don't know what Faiza-di sees in him."

"Come on, Puhor-da is adorable," Niribili said, earning a look of disgust from Junak.

"Anyway, they are all here now, for dinner. Dikhou should be here soon. Oh, and Jiri-ba's in Delhi, did I tell you? She's visiting for a week. They are coming over too."

"Please, I also wanna attend the party now," Banhi whined.

Junak preened. "Have fun eating that cake all on your own."

"You're mean. I still love you though."

"So you say when–"

"JUNAK!!" came his father's shout from outside his room. "THE WIFI ISN'T WORKING AGAIN."

It was working fine – considering he was still on the call – but his father's device kept acting up and the man was unable to fix it no matter how many times Junak showed it to him. He sighed. "I have to go."

"Yes." The women beamed and waved at him. "Have fun. Love ya."

"You too, ladies. Bye."

The moment Junak cut the call, Satan jumped off the bed, pushed open the unlocked door and ran outside. Junak followed.

His three-bedroom apartment was bustling with people. His father sat at Junak's artist's corner – a desk and chair near the balcony – with his laptop on. His mother and Faiza were sitting on the couch in the living room, chatting and watching Moana on TV. Puhor was pacing the length of the kitchen, on a heated call with someone about delayed deliveries or something.

Junak walked up to his father who was scowling at the screen. "You're changing your internet provider, Junak. This is outrageous."

"My internet provider is fine, Papa. Here, lemme look at it."

"He's probably turned airplane mode on again," his mother added unhelpfully. "He keeps doing that."

Her husband made a face. "It was one time. And may I remind the kids what happened the first time you got that Facebook account activated?"

"Niyor, don't you dare!"

Junak chuckled at their bickering as he worked through the settings to reboot the device. It connected seamlessly the next time. "There you go."

"If I lose orders, I will cut it out of your paychecks," Puhor was saying loudly, earning a groan from Faiza.

"It's your brother's birthday," she said. "Can you not make aggressive business calls today at least?"

Puhor smiled at her and blew her a kiss, all cute and innocent, then snapped at the person on the phone again.

Junak's cheeks were hurting from the strain of his smiles.

Satan barked and ran towards the door a moment before the doorbell rang. Junak's smile widened as he went to answer it, Satan running around and wagging his tail in excitement.

A familiar woman stood outside his door, with a baby tucked in her arms. "Happy birthday," Jiri said, while the baby raised her arms towards him. She was tiny and pink and the most adorable thing Junak had ever seen. "Say happy birthday to Junak mama," Jiri told her daughter who muttered something in gibberish.

Junak melted at the sight. "I love her already! Come in." He sidestepped to let his guests in. Anurag, Jiri's husband, walked in after her, shaking Junak's hand in greeting. Then came Dikhou's mother, smiling at him and cupping his face to wish him a happy birthday. Lohor, in his recently acquired teenage spirit, high-fived Junak on his way in before turning to play with Satan.

Dikhou entered last, closing the door after him like it was his own house.

Everyone pre-present immediately began gushing over the baby because of course, that was the charm of being a baby. Puhor got off the phone too, to gawk at the kid, while Junak's father chatted with Anurag. Dikhou's mother sat with Faiza and Junak's mother, comfortable and at ease. Lohor marched to the fridge to grab himself a bowl of ice cream, then groaned when Dikhou asked him to serve some to everyone.

How was your flight, how are you liking Delhi, let us show you around, etcetera filled the air alongside Satan's barks and the baby's random meaningless words. For a moment Junak just stood and watched all the people in his house smiling and chatting. All the rooms were brightly lit and he did not need any music playing in the background.

There were no ghosts here, just a bunch of the most amazing people he knew.

It was a wonderful birthday.

It was a wonderful life.

Dikhou walked up to him, smiling. "Happy birthday," he whispered, sliding a hand into Junak's. "Sorry I wasn't here today."

Junak dismissively waved his free hand. "You're here now. And anyway, we went shopping so you would've hated it."

Dikhou nodded absently. "What'd you buy? Show me?"

Beaming, Junak led him to his room and spent the next five minutes showing Dikhou the clothes his mother bought him and giving him a general walkthrough of his day.

"How was your day?" he asked once he was done. He was folding the clothes back in order, which was one of the many annoying influences Dikhou had had on him. "And did you tell Jiri-ba that I want all of us to go to Jaipur together? Or do you think it'll be too hot for the baby? Should we also have–"

"Jun," Dikhou interrupted, hugging him from behind and dropping his chin on Junak's shoulder.

It had been almost a year since they officially started dating, but Junak still felt giddy at gestures like these. Or the fact that Dikhou smelled faintly of Junak's shampoo. "Dikhou?" he repeated in the same coddling tone.

Dikhou held up a small square box to his face. "Happy birthday, deha."

Junak could not help the gasp escaping his lips. "Why is this – this looks fancy. Is there a ring here?"

"Are you making fun of me?" Dikhou pouted. "Cause this is the box it came in, it's not on me."

"Aw." Junak turned his face to kiss his cheek. "Thank you." He tried to take the box but Dikhou held it back saying, "If you don't like it, you can tell me. The receipt's with me, we can go exchange it."

"Very romantic, love."

"I'm just saying. I..." He did not like wasting money, which was one of the many new things Junak discovered after moving out of their winter-fling bubble.

"Okay. I will tell you. Can I open it now?"

Dikhou handed him the box and locked his arms around Junak's stomach. His chest rose and fell against Junak's back, breaths slightly faster than usual.

"You're making me nervous," Junak said.

"You are making me nervous," Dikhou retorted.

Pursing his lips, Junak opened his gift. There, sitting on a padded cushion was a pair of small silver earrings, in the shape of...

"They're fireflies," Junak breathed.

"They are," Dikhou said. Then, "Do you like it?"

Junak nodded, unable to take his eyes off of it. "I love it." He turned to face Dikhou and wrapped his arms around his neck. "I love you."

Dikhou smiled shyly.

Junak picked up one earring and held it out to Dikhou. "Put this on me."

Wordlessly, Dikhou did as asked, after which he leaned forward to kiss his neck.

Junak giggled. The tiny firefly dangled along the rim of his ear and, though he could not see himself, he knew he loved it. "Dikhou."

"Hmm?"

"Look at me."

Obediently, Dikhou pulled back to face him.

"Do you want to move in with me?"

Dikhou smiled first, almost involuntary, then blinked to shake it off. "What?"

"Move in with me."

"I..." Dikhou did not meet Junak's eyes as he said, "I can't. There's Ma and Lohor–"

"I know." Junak stroked Dikhou's hair. "By move in with me, I meant all three of you."

Dikhou blinked again, this time in poorly disguised shock. "What?"

Was it silly that Junak took unnatural amounts of joy in surprising him? "It's a big house. Lohor and khuri can live here more comfortably, plus it's closer to your office and Lohor's school."

Dikhou opened his mouth but did not say anything.

Junak's heart was hammering. "What?"

"I... don't know what to say."

"Say yes."

"I..." Dikhou looked away again. "I'll have to ask Ma–"

"Already did. She said yes if you'll say yes."

Dikhou's jaw dropped.

"I asked Lohor too," Junak continued. "He said and I quote – where do I sign?"

Dikhou's lips twitched but he bit back the smile. "You're serious about this?"

Junak had been nervous when they started afresh but Dikhou fit into his life perfectly. Sure, they liked different things and had small arguments sometimes but they easily talked through them, and both their families being there helped immensely. Junak often had his meals at Dikhou's place and if he could not go, Dikhou's mother would send food over to him. Puhor and Dikhou hung out a lot, for whatever crazy reason, like they were bros or something. Junak drove Lohor to and from his dance classes and if he could not, on some days, Puhor volunteered. Dikhou kept Junak's fridge stocked with healthy food, just as Junak's father always remembered to get Dikhou's favourite flavours whenever he ordered takeout. Every time Junak went out of town for work, Satan was more than happy living with Dikhou and Lohor looked after him almost all the time.

Junak and Dikhou were practically married in all but name. Junak decided to go ahead and tell him that.

Dikhou blushed. "You're very cheeky today."

"I'm always cheeky, it's why everyone loves me." Junak kissed him on the nose. "So your final answer, good sir?"

Dikhou chuckled, then nodded. "Yes. Yes, of course."

Junak grinned and pulled him into a kiss.

"DIKHOU-DA!" Lohor knocked on the door. "You missed the cue four minutes ago, man."

"What cue?" Junak asked, breaking off the kiss.

"They're setting the cake while I distract you."

"Wow," Junak said sarcastically. "I'm sure you were not supposed to tell me that."

Dikhou shrugged. "You can just–"

"Dikhou-da," Lohor cried again, while Puhor said, "Junak, stop making out and get your ass over here."

"Geez, can you not say things like that in front of the guests?" Junak shouted back, but he was smiling nonetheless, especially on hearing Dikhou's chuckle.

"Come on," Dikhou whispered.

With interlaced hands, the two walked towards the door. "Coming!"

The end.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

268K 10K 44
Book 1 of the supernatural world series "Hey! Get down you may slip and die!!" . . "Don't worry about me I'm already dead!" _____ An ancient vampire...
150K 4.1K 45
When two lovers' best friends meet for the first time... lots of feelings can rise. Attraction, confusion, lust... love? Will they be able to overcom...
31.7K 2K 31
||Wattys 2022 Shortlist|| Kian Advani was a closeted queer in his high school. Always in denial of his true feelings and emotions. So much so that h...
60.5K 1.7K 30
"I hate you - so much Tripp." More confusion because, once more, wasn't this a good thing? "Why did you have to say that? What if," A little quieter...