Destined for Vengeance ✔️

By MarjorieK64

*Book 2 of the Destined Series* The clock is ticking for Ryleigh. Duty calls, and she knows she has to leave... More

Author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Author's Note

Chapter 49

818 64 202
By MarjorieK64

Double update! Make sure you've read chapter 48 first. They belong together, so this chapter won't make much sense otherwise :) Happy reading!

Jade moved to the next row. About halfway through it, her brows furrowed. As much as she tried to focus on the guard in front of her, there was one mind screaming over all the others.

"Who is chanting in their head?" she asked, loudly. It was a constant repetition of Pick me. Pick me. Pick me. It remained silent among the ranks. People glanced around them. "Come on. Don't be shy. Someone is very eager to be picked. Who is it?"

A few rows further, a hand shot up into the air. "It's me, Ma'am."

Jade swallowed a chuckle and moved towards the waving hand. It belonged, she realised, to a very young man. A boy, really. She stopped in front of him. He was bouncing on his feet, his features marred in expectation. He really, really wanted to be picked. It was a shame he looked like a twelve-year-old who had stolen a uniform. She shot a glance at Aaron, who shook his head in warning. She smiled and turned back.

"How old are you?"

"Eighteen, Ma'am, but, you know, being young just means I still have a lot of energy, and I'm strong as an ox."

She poked her tongue in her cheek, doing her best not to laugh. He was endearing. She knew Aaron would murder her for picking all the misfits, but she just couldn't help herself. They were the only ones that didn't hate her. And he did look like he would be able to protect her. He was tall – nearly as tall as Aaron – and though he was lean, she could tell he was strong.

"How long have you been a guard?"

"Since last month, Ma'am. But that's just because you can't become a guard if you're underaged. But I was ready years ago. I can protect you. I'm really good with my knives, and I'm great with my claws. I don't really like spears, but I can hold my own with that one too. And I'm fast, as well, Ma'am. And I will give my life for you. I can do this, really."

"Boy, calm down." Aaron had caught up with Jade. "How old did you say you were?"

The boy shot up a bit straighter, standing so stiffly that if Jade had nudged his shoulder, he would have toppled over. "Eighteen, Your Highness."

"You look fourteen."

"Leave him alone. Don't mind the prince. He's all bark." She cocked her head. "I'm inclined to give you a chance."

"Jade –" Aaron said, but she cut him off.

"You said I could pick them. Did you lie?"

He sighed deeply. "I knew I was going to regret this."

The boy was screaming for joy in his head and Jade brought a hand to her forehead, flinching. "Temper your enthusiasm, please. Your mind is very loud. If you're going to be around me, you will need to learn to keep yourself in check."

"I will, Ma'am. I promise!"

Jade grinned. "What is your name?"

"It's Daniel, Ma'am. But most people call me Danny."

"Well, then, Danny. I pick you. You better not disappoint me, or Prince Aaron will never stop rubbing it in my face."

"I won't disappoint you, Ma'am! I will be the best guard you've ever had!"

"You will be the first guard she's ever had, so that is hardly an achievement," Aaron said. "I will give you a week. If I do not like you, I will demote you and your cocky attitude. Do you understand?"

Danny grew a little paler, but nodded. "I understand, Your Highness. I will not disappoint."

"We will see. Go to the front and wait there."

"Don't worry. He looks intimidating, but he doesn't bite," Jade said. She winked at Aaron, then moved on. She could hear him sigh behind her, but ignored him.

It took easily twenty rows for Jade to find the next person with potential. She almost missed him. His mind was a strong presence, and his thoughts indicated he would respect and serve her well. When she turned to look at him, however, she realised there was very little of him. He was almost as short as she was.

"You have got to be kidding me," Aaron said.

"What happened to you staying behind, hmm? You're distracting me. Go. Further. Go on. Back up. Yes. Like that. And hush." She turned to the man. "What is your name?"

"Callan, Ma'am." He glanced around him, at the guards trying to hold back their chuckles.

"Don't mind them," Jade said. "You know, being short has its advantages. It's easier to move undetected. That can be a life-saving skill. Are you interested in joining my protection detail?"

He raised his chin a bit higher. "If you will have me, Ma'am, it would be an honour."

Jade inclined her head. "The honour's mine. I can see you have fought valiantly in several wars. I have no doubt you will serve me well. Please move to the front." She moved on, purposely avoiding Aaron's gaze. When it was over, she was sure he would give her a piece of his mind.

Just two more. She knew full well she was gathering a band of misfits, but they were people she knew would understand her. People who deserved to move up on the social ladder. People who would show integrity. It was no surprise that those were the best fits. The ones who fit in – the tall, strong, muscled ones who never had to fight against discrimination, were more likely to attach value to things like lineage and countenance. She had no use for people like that. She needed people who knew hardships. People who had learned to value others for what was inside of them.

She lost track of how many soldiers she had looked in the eye. Rows and rows of men passed and she didn't come across anyone she would feel at ease with. Eventually, there weren't many rows left and she grew a little nervous she wouldn't be able to find two more people who fitted her group of outcasts. If she couldn't find anyone, Aaron would probably pick them himself, and she doubted she was going to like whomever he'd come up with. No, she had to be the one to choose.

She sifted through the minds around her, walking on slowly. One mind stood out to her. In fact, this particular mind hit her so hard it knocked the air out of her lungs. She skipped a few rows, looking for the person belonging to these thoughts. She found him in one of the last rows.

The man wasn't very young anymore, though not as aged as Travis. He might have been up to forty-five years of age. She paused in front of him, studying his face.

"What is your name?" she asked.

The man looked uncomfortable. He cast his gaze down. "Ma'am, I've fought in the Shadow Walker battle fourteen years ago."

She swallowed, working hard to keep her composure. Aaron came closer and a quick glance revealed he was looking at her gravely, watching to see what the guard's admission would do to her. "I asked your name," she said, "not whether you fought fourteen years ago."

"My name is Warren, Ma'am. My apologies. I just thought that, should you be considering me, you should know I have fought against your people."

"I know as much. I pick you."

Warren blinked. "Ma'am?"

"Do you want the position, Warren? You may feel free to decline if you do not wish to serve me."

"Jade," Aaron said, softly. Clearly, he did not understand her motives either.

"No, Ma'am, it would be my honour," Warren said. "I am just a little puzzled."

"You do not remember me?" Jade asked. From the corner of her vision, she saw Aaron frown. She hadn't talked to him in any detail of what she had lived through, so he didn't know how she had come to survive fourteen years ago.

"Ma'am?" Warren asked.

"I was nine at the time. When the battle started, my sister put me in a closet. I was even smaller then, so I fit perfectly. I hid there for what felt like forever. Eventually I grew restless, so I peeked out of the closet. A guard was in the house and saw me. He told me to get outside, because he'd been ordered to set the place on fire. He even told me in what direction to run. He saved my life."

Warren's eyes grew wide, his gaze flitting to Aaron, who had grown awfully quiet.

"I've never forgotten the face of the man who let me live," Jade said. "You've aged, but the resemblance is undeniable."

"I..." Warren's jaw snapped shut. He blinked. "I didn't know –"

"That you saved the prince's mate? Well, you have. And if you've protected me once, I trust you will do so again, should the opportunity arise. Do you accept?"

"Yes, Ma'am. Gladly."

Jade nodded. "Good. Please join the others at the front." Jade reviewed the minds of the last few rows. There was no one suitable left. She walked to the side, away from the direct vicinity of the guards. Aaron joined her.

"You never mentioned a Royal Wolf helped you escape," he said.

"I never mentioned a lot of things. If you want, I will reveal to you exactly what came to pass that day. I would have done so sooner, but I wasn't sure you wanted to know. After all, it is a touchy subject."

"I want to know," he said. "I want to know what you went through, even if it hurts me."

She inclined her head. "As you wish. As to the guards, there is no one left."

"You still need one more."

"I know, but five is almost the same as six. Doesn't it suffice?"

"No. Six was the deal. If you can't come up with another guard, I will get to pick him for you. You said so. Did you lie?" He cocked a brow and she rolled her eyes.

"Fine." Her eyes flitted over the hundreds of guards still lining up neatly. There were some that were neutral and strictly seen, they would be fine. But she didn't want neutral. She wanted to be surrounded by people she trusted. She would never trust any of the men in front of her. Her head shot up. "Gavin."

"Who?" Aaron looked around, as though he could pick someone from the crowd who looked like a Gavin.

"You do not remember? The guard who testified on my behalf. You know, after I knocked out the other guy and paralysed his arm."

"O, Goddess, are you in earnest? He was erratic and irresponsible."

"He was nice."

"Well, that may be, but you are not looking for people to have a tea-party with, Jade. This is about your safety, not your entertainment."

"I pick Gavin. Can you link him or something? Or find someone else to link him? If he's willing, I pick him. If not, you can pick someone else."

Aaron sighed. "I want it noted that I do not like this at all."

"Duly noted." She grinned. "You may dismiss everyone else, then, Your Highness. I have assembled my band of heroes."

________

A/N: Jade's surrounding herself with misfits, and Aaron can't stand it. Fun times ;) 

Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10M 366K 71
BOOK 1 in the UNCONDITIONALLY SERIES |COMPLETED| I listened expectantly as he spoke the next words, "There are many, many presumptions about the Alp...
39.9K 2.9K 53
*Book 3 of the Destined Series* Without her sister, her mate, and her friends, Ryleigh has nowhere to turn to but home. Whether she wants to join her...
998K 38.2K 43
Rylan is stubborn. So is her mate. Sometimes fate isn't enough. Sometimes fate is so strong that there is no escape. One thing is for certain thoug...
4.3K 248 20
~EDITING~ Book 1 of the Princess Series Claire was a regular werewolf, well she was the best fighter in the pack other than the alpha. She had beat...