Sinewave's OCs

By SinewaveSanctuary

A book of my OCs, mainly for the purpose of roleplaying. ALL ROLEPLAYS TO BE CONDUCTED ON DISCORD, NO EXCEPT... More

-----INTRODUCTION-----
-----NON-FANDOM OCS-----
Sinewave Londinium (Steampunk Automaton) (steampunk/fantasy RP OC)
Human!Sinewave Londinium, aka Gennie
Myriam Heros (centipede-human hybrid) (fantasy OC)
Glenn Fizweld (medieval/fantasy OC)
Montague "Monty" Bannister (general RP OC)
Bahiti Najwa (necromancer) (Fantasy OC)
Wesley Snyder (general or fantasy OC)
Millicent Hall-E'Strange (from my Divinata Automata series)
Quentin Stark (general RP OC)
-----FANDOM OCS-----
Oricar Efovex (Homestuck OC)
Cornelia Chime (Ace Attorney OC)
Filopa Pisana (Homestuck OC)
Axelle Skodae (Homestuck OC)
Emerald Karat (Monster High OC)
Farad (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon OC)
Hazel (Pokemon gijinka)
Sparkee (Super Mario/Mario & Luigi OC)

Valeria Sideris (Hecatoncheire OC) (modern-day Greek mythology OC)

41 1 14
By SinewaveSanctuary

Notes: My interpretation of the Hecatoncheires is based on their detection in the Percy Jackson series, for practical reasons as this gives the most humanlike depiction. This OC is intended for modern-day Greek mythology roleplays, in a similar vein to Percy Jackson. She can be a teenager or adult depending on what is required for the roleplay.

———
*"It is better to possess the capacity for cruelty yet choose not to exercise it, than to be incapable of being cruel at all....Alas, some of us do not have the luxury of choice.*"
———-

Name: Valeria Sideris

Age: (depends on roleplay; she is immortal and will stop ageing at some point during her late 20s)

Gender: female

Species: Hecatoncheire (AKA Hundred-Handed One)

Parents: the Hecatoncheire Gyges (father, faded) and a human or demigod mother, Leona Sideris (deceased; godly parent to be determined by roleplay as needed)

Birthday: October 10th (yes, you know *exactly* why I chose this date, though I also chose it because it makes her a Libra which is symbolic [or perhaps *ironic*] due to parts of her backstory)

Nationality: Greek (from Thessaloniki specifically)

Languages spoken: Greek (both modern and ancient), "the Tongue of the Old Times" (the language Gaia spoke to her children), some English but it is far from fluent (or perhaps she is just pretending to be less fluent than she actually is...)

Occupation: an agent of the Furies; they send her to hunt and bring in those who ought to face their punishment. If need be she may masquerade as a foreign student at a school/university if it will help her get close to her target.
Someday she expects she will take up her father's duty as warden of Tartarus (and protector of Olympus in the event of another Titanomachy)-when she is ready. This is likely a *long* way off however.

Sexuality: bisexual

Appearance: Valeria is approximately two metres tall. She has a Mediterranean skin tone and long dark brown hair. Her eyes are amber in colour, with no whites or pupils (she wears sunglasses or cosmetic contacts to hide this unusual trait). As a Hecatonchiere, she has fifty distinct faces that she can switch between, but the one she usually has gives off an air of confidence, sass and a no-nonsense attitude without appearing too cocky, stern or otherwise offputting. She speaks with a Greek accent.
Of course, the main trait of the Hecatonchieres, that for which their kind was named, is their one hundred arms. Most of these come out of the sides and back of the torso; see some more humanoid depictions of the Hecatonchieres for reference (such as Briares as he appears in the Percy Jackson graphic novel). The Furies have been able to provide special magical clothes for her to contain her many limbs such that most or all of the extra arms can be contained with no observable evidence from the outside hinting at what lies beneath (the effectiveness of her clothes may be determined by the roleplay itself. For example it may be that there will always be a minimum number of arms that have to be out and she has to wear a large coat or cloak to cover any additional ones, which would still be able to be felt if, say, she were hugged by someone). Aside from their sheer number, however, each of her shoulders/arms/hands look perfectly normal and feminine in and of themselves. However, most of them are bound in dark, seemingly unbreakable Stygian iron chains, weighing them down and restricting their movement to a certain degree, though not completely. The sound of these many chains can be heard by nonmortals when she walks by even when her arms are contained within her clothing, and even a mortal may hear them if they listen carefully or the surroundings are quiet.
Valeria's feet are larger than what would be typical for her size-not impossibly so, but noticeable if compared to those of other females of similar height.
Regarding the style of the clothes she wears, that will depend on where she is being sent; more traditional clothes are permitted in her homeland of Greece or the surrounding countries, but when in a more Westernised environment she will need to wear more everyday Western clothing so as not to stick out more than her height and obvious foreignness already cause her to. In the case of the latter, you'll usually see her in a black coat, dark jeans or black pants, sandals, a summer scarf and a pair of sunglasses (or her special contacts), going for either a "sophisticated European tourist" or "foreign exchange student attending prestigious school/university" look. What mortals *don't* see are the two magical scabbards at either side each holding one of her trademark spears, or the large golden chain around her neck, on which hangs one of the three keys to the gates of Tartarus, which she inherited from her father (she will keep this hidden under her clothing so as not to advertise it to nonmortals however).

Personality: Valeria may be difficult to get a read on at first, because she's put up so many walls and is often on some dark assignment from the Furies, requiring her to blend in and hide herself. She is also cautious and alert, as a result of her childhood as a homeless nomad and the necessities required by her work. On the surface level she may seem cold, cynical, and stern, with a touch of classy sass. Deep down, however, she wishes to be the proud, honourable and noble spirit that she knows her father and uncles were, but her current situation is preventing her from being. She's also scared of herself to a degree, and scared of who she is becoming as a result of the work she is doing for the Furies. It could also be said that Valeria suffers from Imposter Syndrome to a degree, as she does not believe herself deserving of praise or other accolades because of how many things she's had to do that she's not proud of over the course of her life. She doesn't believe herself worthy of her father's legacy and although she is proud to be the last of the Hecatonchieres and wouldn't change what she is in spite of the difficulties it has caused her, she is ashamed of how her life has turned out and feels that she and her actions are an injustice and a blight to the race of the Hundred-Handed Ones. She wants to be worthy of her duty and heritage, and to be the kind of being who could stand with the Olympians and hold her own against the Titans should a second Titanomachy ever occur, just as the other three Hecatonchieres did in the first. But even if she did attain the power required, in her current state she would deem himself unworthy of it and a poor substitute for any of her three predecessors.
Another reason for her feelings of inadequacy is that she suffers from caelophobia (fear of the sky) due to the fact that Ouranos (aka the Sky) imprisoned the Hecatoncheires (who were his children) in Tartarus; she is not afraid of heights (for example she has no issue with being on a ladder or hanging from a ceiling indoors), but will avoid flying or even looking at the sky if she can avoid it, as though not wanting to risk drawing her paternal grandfather's attention in spite of the fact that Ouranos seems to be dormant. She very much prefers to be on terra firma; after all, unlike their father Ouranos, their mother Gaea loved the Hecatoncheires. She has no issue going outside because she feels safe so long as she is standing on the Earth (aka Gaea) but will balk at the idea of losing contact with it.

Should you get to know Valeria you will come to know her as an honourable person deep down, for even though she has had to do dishonourable things, it would take a certain degree of honour to recognise such actions as dishonourable and to want to be able to change, would it not? She wants to be a hero and an ally to the Olympians, but in her current position she cannot, yet she will still do what she can should trouble arise. She can see no other way to repent for her mistakes, after all, even as she does not recognise that she is an honourable being and motivated by a desire to do good and protect the world and its order in and of itself, not just by a need to clear her conscience and make up for her and the Furies' actions. She does not recognise that she does indeed have a sense of justice; as far as she knows she *doesn't* agree with the Furies' philosophy in this regard but would struggle to define her own if asked, yet outsiders would see that it is clearly there.

Powers/abilities: Valeria can switch between 50 various faces (her eyes stay the same and she cannot change individual features; her voice does not change either). If her emotions are particularly strong her face will shift without her doing it consciously/deliberately, however.
She is stronger than a human (though the hands bound in Stygian chains have less strength than those that are free).
She is immortal.
She can breathe underwater (however this face has not occurred to her yet; it would have saved her a lot of trouble otherwise).
When she is older-*much, much* older-she will be even stronger and will be able to assume a gigantic form just as her father and his brothers did when they battled the Titans during the Titanomachy. It will take centuries before this is possible however.
The blood of a primordial being is sacred and thus, when ingested by (or injected into) another being, it will have some... unpleasant effects. Any person or creature that consumes the blood of a Hundred-Handed One will become corrupted and will lose their mind, and mangled, deformed hands will emerge all over their body, uncontrollably and seemingly with minds of their own. The unfortunate being will essentially become a mindless, mutated monster regardless of what they started out as (gods/other deities may be the only beings immune to this but consuming the Hecatonchiere blood still may make them feel unwell/weak).

Weapons/items: A pair of two-handed spears (named Diairéste and Kataktó, meaning Divide and Conquer respectively) which can separate into two blades each for a total of four weapons (the spears can be carried in magic scabbards on either hip, which make the weapons portable); she may conceal an additional dagger within her coat to use for a surprise attack via a previously hidden limb;
A magical coat/cloak that can conceal/contain her many additional limbs (and has enough sleeves hidden inside it for all of them even as they are not visible unless she brings them out);
Key to the gates of Tartarus (inherited from her father Gyges; Cottus and Briares had one each as well); worn on a large golden chain around her neck; may require some special process to actually use it, which she doesn't know yet;
Sunglasses/cosmetic contact lenses (to hide her unique eyes from other supernatural beings; kept in coat pocket);

Backstory:
Trigger warning: ||mother dies in childbirth||
Valeria is the daughter of the Hecatoncheire Gyges. In recent days, the Hundred-Handed Ones grew weak due to the process of fading (deities who are forgotten slowly grow weaker and eventually cease to exist), becoming unable to assume the giant forms they had when they defended Olympus during the Titanomachy. Gyges, knowing that he had little time left in this world, left his post guarding Tartarus and returned to Greece to live out whatever time he had left. It seemed as though his race would be lost to time, until Gyges and a woman (probably a demigod) met and fell in love, soon conceiving a child. Her love for Gyges was not strong enough to save him from fading but it and the knowledge that he would soon have a child would prolong his life enough for him to see said child into the world. Because the child's mother was not one of Gyges's kind, the child would presumably be a "half-breed", not a true continuation of its father's race, but that was fine. Except deep down, Gyges *was* saddened that, with his brother Cottus already faded and him and Briares growing weaker every day, there would be no more Hundred-Handed Ones left soon, and Olympus would be without some of its most formidable protectors should there ever be another Titanomachy. One night Gyges found himself admitting this to his lover as she knew that he was upset, and she wished that she could somehow make the child not a half-breed if it would mean the continuation of his race. Gyges admitted that there was a way to make it so; he could give up what little strength he still had to imbue the unborn child with the full power of his primordial blood, making it a true Hecatonchiere. This was when Artemis, who as well as being the goddess of the Hunt, is also the goddess of childbirth and protector of mothers-to-be, intervened, appearing before the two. What Gyges suggested would indeed be possible, she said, but there was a good reason he had not mentioned it prior: the mother's body and womb were not designed to carry such a being, and so while giving birth to a half-Hecatonchiere child was risky but doable with her help, birthing a true Hundred-Handed One would kill her. Artemis said that she would be present for the birth either way, but there was no way to prevent it from being too much for the mother should they decide to "legitimise" the child's primordial legacy. Both parents were quite anguished by this, and yet, the mother bravely agreed to the proposal. She knew that Gyges would not have long left, and she felt honoured that he had chosen to spend what little he had remaining of his long, long existence with her, and so it felt only right to honour his deepest wish and die alongside him or close to it-even as this would have the consequences of condemning their child to orphanhood. And so it was done. Gyges would give up what remained of his strength, and the child's mother her life, so that their child would be strong and carry on its father's mighty legacy.

The pregnancy was a difficult and painful one, torturous for the mother to bear and the father to witness, but they bore it. Soon enough, the day came when the child was to come into the world. Artemis appeared to bring the baby into the world-and to comfort the mother in her final minutes of life. After a long and extremely painful labour, the daughter of Gyges was brought forth. The baby was not a pretty one; she was large and her proportions were slightly off, her face was constantly shifting from one form to another, and of course, there were the arms. Looking at the child you could barely find any part of it other than the many arms covering its body, moving and waving in every direction as though the baby were trying to figure out what they were, where they were coming from and where they ended. Gyges knew that although his birth from Gaea had not been the same as this, he had started out similarly, and assured the mother of this. In her final moments, the mother was able to hold her baby, and in spite of her strange appearance and the fact that she had inherited more from her father than her mother, she found herself loving her in the same pure, unconditional way that Gaea had loved Gyges and his brothers. She passed soon afterwards, with Artemis comforting her in her final moments. With her child born and healthy, she was at peace as she passed on.

Gyges was left to raise the child, named Valeria, on his own, and with the knowledge that he didn't have long left himself. He had to find someone to raise his daughter, who would likely be the last Hecatonchiere, once he was gone. He was worried about what would happen if the gods knew of her however (for although they had freed the Hecatonchieres after the Titanomachy and they had been loyal to the gods since, the gods had a history of eliminating anything which had the potential to pose a threat to them, and given their performance during the Titanomachy, the Hecatonchieres certainly qualified; while they could not destroy Gyges or his brothers, this baby Hecatonchiere was another story), so that avenue was out of the question, and many of the other supernatural beings in the area-nymphs and satyrs mostly-to whom he went thought raising such a child to be beyond them, or were downright scared of her.
Gyges had about three years with Valeria, during which time he told her some of the truth of what and who they were (though leaving out some of the "scarier" parts, such as how Ouranos threw him and his brothers into Tartarus). He did tell her that he and his brothers had helped the gods fight the bad Titans and someday she would be big and strong enough to do the same. Eventually, however, even Gyges's great strength faded completely, and his daughter Valeria was left alone in the world in spite of her father's efforts to find a caretaker for her. He left her a special cloak to wear to hide her strange and distinctive form, as well as his key to the gates of Tartarus on a gold chain, which she instinctively knew was important yet needed to be kept hidden and protected at all costs.

Valeria was now alone and homeless on the streets of her hometown of Thessaloniki. She knew that there were no others like her and that there were monsters and other bad things and people who might try and harm her, so she had to be careful, stay hidden as much as possible and mind who she spoke to and what she told them. In these earlier years she had to steal to survive. She had discovered her unnatural strength, but did *not* want to hurt people to get things even though she knew that she definitely could. It was bad enough that she had to steal at all, but hurting people to get more would make it a whole lot worse and she knew that she would be disgracing her father and her kind in doing so.
As careful as she was, it was not easy for Valeria to stay hidden. As mentioned, she quickly became aware of her strength, via a series of unfortunate and somewhat destructive accidents. Like her father and uncles during their early days imprisoned in Tartarus, the little Hundred-Handed One did not have very good control of her many limbs at this stage in her life, nor was she very good at suppressing her strength. Her strength grew as she got older, but her coordination improved at a much slower rate, so her accidents only became more frequent and destructive. Eventually they drew the attention of mortals and nonmortals alike and Valeria realised she had to leave Thessaloniki or risk being discovered, so she did. Over the years she moved from place to place as necessary. After a few years of this she was able to coordinate herself better and even did a little work for the occasional satyr or cyclops or whoever-never revealing what she was, just demonstrating her strength which could be useful-in order to get coin (and other things) legally, so she didn't have to steal (stealing was becoming harder since she was growing bigger and thus couldn't be as stealthy or hide as easily as she used to). She was even able to obtain a larger cloak in this manner, although this did necessitate having to reveal herself.

Still, even with her caution and her nomadic lifestyle, it was only a matter of time before the truth of her existence came out. There were times when revealing herself was inevitable (when she had to fend off a supernatural threat, for example), and of course there were whispers among those whom her father had approached when she was a baby, or those who had, unbeknownst to her, seen her sneakily use one of her extra hands to grab a fruit from a market stall while the owner was distracted, or who had witnessed or even been hurt by one of her many destructive accidents. Rumours circulated among the region's nonmortal population about a Hundred-Handed One running amok in Greece-and soon, those whispers reached divine ears.
Meanwhile on Olympus, the Hecatonchieres' absence from their post had been noticed by the gods but none had a clue where they had gone or why such seemingly dutiful beings would abandon the duty Zeus had entrusted to them. It never occurred to the gods that they had faded from existence. However, soon enough they heard the news that one of them was out and about in Greece, apparently causing all kinds of problems. Artemis alone knew what the truth of the matter must be, but she held her tongue; she was the divine protector of young girls and at that age Valeria was one such. The gods sent a group of "agents" led by Hermes to investigate, and it did not take them long to discover that this was not one of the original three Hecatonchieres, but a child of one of them, who had her father's key but had never performed the duty she had inherited. They returned to give their report to Olympus and only then was Artemis forced to confess her knowledge of the child's existence and confirm that this was indeed a true Hundred-Handed One and the daughter of Gyges, who had faded just as his brother Cottus had before him.

Hearing of Valeria's many destructive incidents and the risk of supernatural exposure to mortals she posed, the gods decided that it was time she filled the post that her father had left vacant. Artemis knew that she was not ready for this duty and the harsh environment that Tartarus posed (even for one who would be its gatekeeper rather than its prisoner), but the goddess was well and truly outvoted on this matter. What beings other than the Hecatonchieres could fulfil this duty, and if she had her father's key to the gates of Tartarus, then clearly he had intended for his daughter to inherit it too as one of his kind? So Hermes and his agents were sent down to hunt down Valeria and bring her to Olympus. Artemis feigned acceptance of the plan, but secretly, she appeared before Valeria in a vision, filling in the gaps of what she knew about herself and her legacy. Valeria learnt the complete history of her father and uncles, their imprisonments, the Titanomachy, their duty and the purpose of the key she wore and protected so fiercely without knowing why, and everything else she knew. She also warned her of the gods' intentions and Valeria too knew that she was not ready to take on her destined duty, even as she did not object to this purpose. She had pride for her father and kind, and that grew with the knowledge Artemis gave her, but even so, she was also...scared. Of *herself*. She still was not in full control of her body and strength and from the sound of things it had taken the other Hecatonchieres a *long* time to gain mastery over theirs. And while they had been in Tartarus where they couldn't really do much damage, Valeria was out here on Earth and she knew full well that it was a different story here. She had seen the damage she could do, and people had even gotten *hurt* because of her mishaps. There were no other Hecatonchieres, nor other beings she knew of that had similar properties, so she was on her own in this regard. Over the following weeks, as she was on the run from the Olympian agents, part of her began to wonder if maybe being down in Tartarus might be for the best. She knew she needed to be able to function properly in order to keep the prisoners of Tartarus in check, but if she was just a danger to mortals and nonmortals alike here on Earth, and one that only grew more dangerous as her formidable strength increased....did that not make *her* a monster too, as much of one as the Titans and giants and other primordial horrors that she was supposed to be guarding?

After Valeria somehow evaded capture for a good while while still leaving her trademark destruction in her wake, Hermes returned to Olympus to report that someone must've warned her about them and she was only growing stronger and becoming more of a problem as time went on. Zeus knew they couldn't kill her; for one, he still wasn't sure about the fate of Briares (or if there might have been other Hecatoncheire children born at some point that they didn't know about), but if any others of her kind were out there still they might not take kindly to this youngling being harmed; he had promised their kind freedom and status among the gods' ranks after all. Also, Tartarus still needed its gatekeeper. And if Valeria was indeed as much of an unstoppable force as Hermes made her sound, then *clearly* she was up to the task in spite of the fact that she was only just now entering adolescence. But that begged the question: how *were* they to stop said unstoppable force in order for her to serve her duty? Well, that's when the Furies got involved. What with Hermes taking souls down to the Underworld and the Furies overseeing the Fields of Punishment, the latter would eventually hear of the former's woes regarding the young Hecatonchiere. Soon enough, the three sinister sisters were on the case. Artemis could not warn Valeria because she didn't know that the Furies had volunteered for the task, and they were much stealthier and more cunning than the people Zeus had sent. The Furies located and observed their target, trying to think how best they could get Valeria under control. They witnessed a couple more incidents caused by her, they saw that she had not mastered her strength or her many limbs yet, and they sensed her fear of herself as well. They went to Zeus and got permission to take her under their wings while she was not yet strong enough to perform her ordained duty.

Soon after, the Furies approached Valeria. They explained who they were, that they had brought in many of the prisoners her father and uncles had guarded in Tartarus, and that they knew she was not ready to undertake her ordained duty yet but they could prepare her for it. They also said that the gods, namely Zeus, would likely have her destroyed if she were left as is and if he could have his way. They could help her better control herself and allow her to do work that would prepare her for her duty. She need not move around from town to town, struggle to get food and other supplies, or hide anymore either because they could arrange for the necessities to be provided for her so that she could serve them to the best of her ability. The Furies were in truth manipulating her with a mixture of truth, speculation and lies, because they knew that the Hundred-Handed One, in spite of her youth and lack of polish, would be a very powerful and valuable servant, an enforcer that any wrongdoer would fear. And once she was under control, she could never fail to bring in said wrongdoers to face their rightful punishments. And for Valeria, this arrangement would provide a meaningful purpose, an end to the struggles of a homeless nomad, shelter from the gods' plans for her (whatever they may be), and most importantly, a means of keeping her body better under control until she could manage it, preventing her from being a danger to innocents in the meantime. She readily agreed to the proposal, and was thus escorted down to the Underworld, to the dwelling of the Furies. Once there, they provided her with everything she would need in order to perform her duties as one of their agents. Of course, she knew that she could not be a stealthy and effective agent with her current state of incoordination, but of course, they had the solution ready. Lengths and lengths of heavy, black, Stygian iron chains attached to numerous cuffs. They explained that they had seen the problems that trying to coordinate so many limbs simultaneously caused, combined with the great strength Valeria possessed in each one; the chains would weigh them down enough to make them manageable, while still keeping enough free to be extremely useful and allow her to be effective and use the most notable trait of her species to her advantage over those who did not possess it. So, she willingly held out the majority of her arms and the three Furies set to work binding her in the cold, dark, unbreakable Stygian chains. While they would be too heavy for most, Valeria was able to walk around with the added weight with no issue, and sure enough, while she was still able to move and use the limbs bound in the chains, they wouldn't accidentally move without her wanting them to. Without this great inconvenience she was able to train her combat skills properly, with greater focus, precision and efficiency, and soon after, she learnt how to be stealthy, how to blend in with the crowd as best she could, and so on. While still somewhat clumsy, she was far less so than before and was quickly forged into a highly effective agent, enforcer, and weapon in the Furies' arsenal. Before long, she was finally set to work, tracking down evildoers who were trying to cheat the fate that awaited them in the Fields of Punishment. She would hunt them down (in a more precise and subtle manner than Hermes and his colleagues had her) those wrongdoers, mostly of a nonmortal nature, and haul them before the Furies in the same Stygian chains that she had willingly allowed them to use to bind her. As the years passed and she grew older, stronger, and better at her duties, they gave her progressively more challenging assignments. More dangerous or cunning targets, whose crimes were more and more terrible and incomprehensible to the rational individual. For the most extreme cases, she was not merely an enforcer, but an assassin, and it was when she began to be tasked with these assignments that were only entrusted to the best of the Furies' agents that Valeria began to realise that she had been manipulated and that allowing herself to be bound like this had been a severe error of judgment on her part. She was never involved in the actual punishments of those she brought to justice, but she knew that they were terrible, oft worse than even what the crime warranted in her opinion. And *she* was allowing it, bringing these souls in so that they could be tortured for eternity. By now, she knew that she barely needed those chains anymore, yet even her mighty strength was not enough to break them, curtailed as it was by those very chains, for that very reason. The Furies had taken advantage of her vulnerability and fear of herself to gain a powerful servant unlike any other, a scion of primordial blood. And speaking of that primordial blood, that too was a reason for the Furies to keep Valeria under their employ. The blood of the Hundred-Handed Ones was a powerful substance indeed, as they quickly discovered through twisted experimentation. Any who consumed it turned into disturbing mindless monsters, which they found *very* effective for taking to task, say, an entire household or even village that had so egregiously offended the gods in some manner. They would occasionally take some of Valeria's blood while she slept and use it for their torturous punishments. If Valeria ever found out about this, or what her blood did to people, she would be horrified and sickened, but they managed to hide it. She hardly noticed or remembered every wound she got while training, after all, so she didn't notice those left by the Furies when they siphoned her potent primordial blood.

Valeria knows that, as things stand, she is bound to the Furies indefinitely, unless she can figure out how to break those chains. Part of her wonders if she even deserves it after the things she's done, and unbeknownst to her, this very fact is something the Furies are aware of in all of their servants and it is what keeps said servants loyal and obedient. With each assignment, Valeria feels more and more irredeemable, and the chains binding her feel more deserved and appropriate. And the heaviest chain of all is the one she wears around her neck, the gold one carrying her key to Tartarus, the legacy and duty of her kind. A legacy she feels she has tarnished, disgraced, *desecrated* via those terrible things she has had to do in the Furies' service. Her father and uncles did not deserve their imprisonments in Tartarus, for though they were powerful and fought savagely against the Titans, they never acted in such a manner unnecessarily or took advantage of their formidable strength to commit atrocities. She wrongfully sentenced herself to this binding and enslavement to the Furies, but now, her punishment is entirely deserved. The gods care not; as wardens of the most secure of prisons the Hecatonchieres were instruments of divine justice and so are the Furies, therefore so is Valeria, as fate intended, even as she is not yet performing the specific duty entrusted to her kind. She cannot perform her ordained duty until she is strong enough, and she cannot be strong enough until the chains she allowed to be put on herself are gone. And so long as she believes that she deserves them, they shall remain.

The Hecatonchieres were symbols of redemption, but Valeria believes herself irredeemable.
Valeria has inherited the duty of guarding those who seek to torture and destroy the souls of the living-but look at what her masters do for a living, and observe how her compliance is permitting it.
How can she ever be worthy of her duty if some ever-growing part of her believes that unlike her predecessors, she truly *does* belong on the other side of those gates whose key she carries?

Video about the mythology of the Hecatonchieres: https://youtu.be/5rfKUy6i3bI

Wiki article about Briares the Hecatoncheire as he is in Percy Jackson: https://riordan.fandom.com/wiki/Briares

Theme songs:
"Our Solemn Hour" by Within Temptation
"It's the Fear" by Within Temptation
"Oh No!" By Marina and the Diamonds

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

216K 1.1K 199
Mature content
138K 5K 25
فيصل بحده وعصبيه نطق: ان ماخذيتك وربيتك ماكون ولد محمد الوجد ببرود وعناد : ان مارفضتك ماكون بنت تركي !
28.1K 1.1K 43
She had always feared the night, but everything changed when someone showed her its beauty. The calming moonlight and soothing night sounds transform...
35.7K 3.4K 63
A college going girl.. 👩 She is sweet and innocent always helping others... A guy in her college... She was always having crush on him from the very...