Cross my heart and hope to die

By Josie_Jump

Terri is one of those people that promises to do something and then doesn't or completely forgets to, either... More

Cross my heart and hope to die

170 0 0
By Josie_Jump

   "Darlin', put the washing in when the first load's finished, will you?" Mum asked.

"Sure, whatever. Bye." I replied, staring at the TV and hoping that she'd leave sooner.

"Promise?" Mum said, stopping in front of the TV.

"Move."

"Terri? Will you do it for me?"

"Yes, just move!" Mum moved out of the way and walked into the hallway, muttering a load of crap to herself. I sighed and continued flipping through the music channels, stopping only when there was a song or show on that I liked.

   When the comedy of this wore off, I checked the time on my phone. One forty three. I walked into the kitchen and made a cheese, tomato and cucumber sandwich and poured myself a glass of grape and pineapple juice. I went in to the lounge, sat down and ate my lunch while watching The Jeremy Kyle Show

   When the phone rang, I muted the TV and picked up the hand set. "Hello?" I said.

"Hi. Umm, is Jane there?" A female voice asked.

"No, sorry, can I take a message?"

"Yes. Please. Can you tell Jane that Mel from work told her that Mick from work said she needs to send in her article by tomorrow evening or else her pay's going to be docked. Thanks. Bye." As soon as she'd finished speaking, I gave up on my manners and pressed the end call button.

   The ringing noise that told you that the washing machine cycle was finished, you know the 'beep beep beep' one, kept on ringing. "SOD OFF!" I yelled and pulled a throw pillow over my head.

   I woke up to the sound of Mum calling my name and shaking my arm. "Terri? Terri? Terri!" She said, her voice getting louder.

"What?!" I growled.

"You forgot to switch the washing machine loads. The colours have dried onto one another!"

"Not my fault. Washing's your job, not mine."

"I asked you to do this one little thing for me, is it so hard to do?"

"Yes, obviously."

"Go to your room."

"Fuck off!" Mum glared at me before walking out of the lounge and into the kitchen. She tutted and sighed, muttering 'ruined', 'simple as pie' or 'ignorant little cow' every so often.

   "Any messages for me?" Mum asked, taking the remote from the coffee table, falling into the arm chair and putting the TV onto some crappy soap. "Well?"

"NO! There's no sodding messages for you! Okay?" I replied, pulling a Real People magazine from the magazine rack and flicking to a page with a story about a girl who was bullied into running away at the age of thirteen and then finally met up with her family after sixteen years. I continued reading as mum went on about how 'hard' her day was. God, all that comes out of her mouth is: me, me, me, I, I, I, self, self, self. Seriously, does she think about anyone else but herself?, I thought. I dropped the magazine onto my chest, slowly, and pretended to fall asleep. She stopped speaking and I lay there. Bored.

   "Hun," Mum shook my shoulder. "I'm gonna' order in, what do you want? Pizza? Chinese? Indian?" pretending to stir slightly, I rubbed my eyes.

I looked at her and said "Umm, don't mind. Whatever you want."

"So, how 'bout chicken curry, rice and poppadoms? We can get some of the WKDs out of the cupboard, how's that?"

"Yeah, that'd be great, ta." I gave her a thumbs up and headed into the bathroom.

   The bell chimed. I grabbed Mum's purse off of the kitchen table and and answered the door. "Hey." I said.

"Hi, umm, is this the Summers house?" A, gorgeous looking, guy asked, holding a bag that said 'Taste of India' on it.

"Yeah, you the take-away guy?" I asked.

"Depends. You single?"

"Pft! Well, there's your tip down the bog. Any more questions?" I said, putting one hand on my hip and raising one eye brow.

"Cash or card?" He replied, his cheeks slowly reddening.

"How much?"

"Seventeen fifty." I dug in Mum's purse and found a crisp twenty pound note.

I handed it to him and said "Yes."

  "'Scuse me?" The delivery guy asked, obviously confused.

"Yes: I am." I replied, smiling. He raised an eye brow, suggestively.

"Here's your...'receipt'. Call this number and ask for Liam if you have any problems or suggestions on how we can improve our service." He handed me a 'Taste of India' business card that had a mobile number and 'Liam' scrawled on it, in blue biro.

"Well, here's my number.Call and ask for the ignorant cow if you have any suggestions on how I can improve my service." I said as I wrote 'Terri ♥ 07530112945' on his hand and acted majorly flirtatious.

He smiled and said "I might just do that."

   "Who is it, hun?" Mum called from upstairs.

"No one. A friend. I got it." I replied, rolling my eyes.

Liam handed me the take-away bag containing the food and said "Enjoy."

"Thanks." I smiled, lent forward, tip-toed and kissed him on the cheek. He looked at me confused. I waved, closed the door and lent my back against it, grinning whilst biting the inside of my cheek as my face heated up. I walked into the kithen and dished up dinner. I set it out on the table, got Mum and I a WKD each and added a straw to each bottle.

   "Grub's up!" I called up the stairs. Mum called 'okay' back and I heard her coming down the stairs. I sat down at the table and took a sip of my drink.

"Oh, hun, you didn't have to go to this much trouble" Mum said, gesturing to the table and our meal.

I smiled and said "Don't expect this much more. Just enjoy it while it lasts." Mum smiled the lovely smile that made my Dad melt like butter on a hot day. Before he left.

   Seven years ago, when I was ten years old, my Dad died of a brain tumor. He had an operation, but they caught it too late. Dad passed away on Christmas evening. He had had a visit from us and about an hour after we'd left, he went to sleep and just didn't wake up. Mum cried for weeks. I destroyed all of my Christmas presents and became the bitch that I am today, usually - anyway. It tore my heart and shattered the pieces.

   "Terri!" Mum bellowed.

"What?" I asked.

"My pay was docked this month. Mel told me that she rang and left a message with you saying that my article needed to be in the next day."

"And?"

"'And'?! And you didn't give me the message"

"Oh." I said flatly.

"Yeah, 'oh'. Well, that fifteen quid is coming from your pocket money."

"Oh well."

"Ungrateful, ignorant COW!"

   Wednesday, two days later, I got a phone call from Liam. "Hi, is Terri there?" He asked.

"Terri's not in. This is the ignorant cow talking, can I take a message?" I said.

"Can you ask Terri if she's busy Friday night?"

"Yep, gimme' a sec." I hummed some random song, pretending to be the hold music. Hum hum hum hum huuuuuum hum hummmmmmm hum hum hum hummmmmmmm huuuum. "Umm, yep, she's free."

"How do you know?"

"Text."

"Whatever."

"So, why does she need to be free Friday night?"

"I wondered if she wanted to go out for dinner and a drink."

"EEEEP! She'd love to!"

"Pick you up at six thirty?"

"Deffo'."

"Cool. Bye."

"Later." I said and then pressed the end call button. I bit the inside of my cheek and squealed.

   The door bell rang. I stepped in front of the mirror, checked my hair and make up and then put a coat of lip gloss on, smacking my lips together to even it out. I then put the gloss in my bag, along with my phone, eye liner, purse and house key. The bell rang again. I pulled on my stilettos and opened the door to a smiling Liam. "Hey. Ready to go?" He asked.

"Yep." I replied. I yelled to Mum not to wait up, just to leave the door on the latch. She 'mmm hmm' ed and told me to have a good time.

   Liam and I got a taxi to a restaurant out of town and ordered dinner. "So, lemme' learn about you before you're drunk." Liam said.

"Well, what d'ya' wanna' know?" I asked.

"Umm, everything. Age, likes, dislikes, family, hobbies, all of it. The full works." He smiled.

"Okay. I'm eighteen. I like MTV, alcohol - yes, I'm not exactly a nice drunk - blue sweets, daisies and Indian food. I hate hospitals, cats, being told what to do, people who talk about nothing but themselves randomly, monster munch and Miley Cyrus. I live with my mum and have two pet Guinea pigs, Stewie and Brian, from Family Guy. My hobbies are listening to music, playing field hockey,drinking people under the table, meeting cute guys and going on Facebook. You?"

   I learned that Liam was nineteen, liked Chinese food (ironically), dogs, the beach, cute girls and smarties. He hated Indian food (weird), people who wear skirts so short that they look like belts, cows and the smell of fairy liquid. He and his friend, Jake, shared a flat together. He had a twin sister, Tania, two brothers, Iain and Thomas, and a puppy called Susie. His hobbies were photography, volley ball and surfing.

   When our food arrived, I had spaghetti bolognese and Liam had some type of fish and chips. So mannish. After, we shared a banana split. Yum!

   We walked to this club that Liam knew and ordered some drinks. By twelve thirty, I had danced with Liam (as well as three other guys, though I have a feeling two of them were gay), kissed him and drunk a lot of alcohol. We walked along the street, my stilettos in one hand and my other arm around was around Liam's waist. Liam's arm was around my waist, supporting me as I walked, I had definitely drunk too much. We were too far out of town so we walked back to Liam's flat. His flat mate was staying over at his girlfriends house.

   I sat in the lounge as Liam got us both glasses of water and me some Asprin. I leaned back and had to blink a lot just to make sure I didn't fall asleep.

   "Here y'are." Liam said, sitting down beside me and handing me a glass of water and a box of Asprin. I popped out two of the pills and dropped them on my tongue before gulping them down with three large mouthfuls of water.

"Thanks." I whispered.

"Perfectly alright." Liam replied, smiling. Liam wrapped an arm around my shoulders and I lent back against his chest and fell asleep.

   I woke up in a bed. "Shit." I said, putting a hand to my head. A minute later, Liam wandered in, his dark hair tousled, his toned body on show excluding his...area...which was covered by a pair of boxers.

"Everything alright, Terri?" He asked.

"No. I've got no idea where I am, what time it is, what day it is - even - or what my mum must be thinking." I replied.

"It's fine." Liam said, sitting beside me on the double bed. "Every thing's fine."

"How?"

"You're at my flat, it's eleven twenty...three, it's the thirteenth of July and I texted your mum to tell her that you were sleeping at a friends because it was too late to get home."

"Why?"

"Huh?"

"Why am I here?"

"Last night you got a little drunk and it was too late to get a taxi so I walked you here. We were sat on the sofa and you fell asleep on me so I carried you in here and slept in Jake's room."

"Oh, thanks."

"S'alright."

   "Did...did anything else happen last night that I don't know about?"

"Not too much." I rotated my hand, gesturing for him to carry on talking. "We danced, we kissed, you told me you loved me, I told you I loved you back, we kissed, end of."

"Oh. Well, I've realised something."

"What?"

"I do love you."

"Huh?" Liam said, staring at me.

"I said 'I do love you'."

"I heard. Any reason?"

"Well, not any guys - that I barely know - would do all that for me. And you're sweet, making sure my mum isn't worried and stuff." I leaned closer to him and kissed him on the cheek. He smiled. Then, I draped my arms around his neck and kissed him tenderly on the lips. One of his hands went to the nape of my neck while the other slid under top and stroked the small of my back.

"I...love...you..." I said between kisses.

"Love...you too...babe." Liam said, now stroking my cheek with his thumb.

   We made breakfast together and then washed and dried together. We spent the day together, watching TV and interrogating each other further.

"Liam! It's me!" someone called, closing the door behind them, presumably, Liam's flat mate, Jake.

"Hey, Jake, in the lounge." Liam yelled in response. I looked at him and he just smiled and put his arm around my waist. I smiled back at him.

"Hey, mate, you...'ello. Who's this then?" Jake said.

"Terri. And you are?" I said, smiling.

"Jake. You okay, Terri?"

"Yeah, ta, you?"

"Spiffing. So, what you doin' 'ere then?"

"Here with Liam. Got slightly pissed last night and I'm outta' town. In stiletos, that's a painful walk."

"Point taken. Well, nice to meet you."

"You too. Nice night with your girlfriend?"

"A-MA-ZING!"

   "So, you two an item?" I looked at Liam and he looked at me. He smiled, I did and we both nodded our heads. "Cool. I mean, you been on the market for a while, ain't ya?" Jake said.

"Mmm." Liam muttered. I grinned at him. "Hush up, darlin'." I continued to grin.

"Hey, Terri, can you chuck the kettle on for us, please?" Liam called from his room.

"Mmm hmm." I replied, not really paying attention.

   Fifteen minutes later, Liam came through the lounge and went into the kitchen. "Hun, this water's icy." Crap, I thought.

"Oops." I said, biting my lip slightly. "Sorry."

"That's alright. Do you want a tea or coffee?" Liam asked.

"No thanks."

   When I got home, Mum smiled at me and said "Good night?"

"Yeah, thanks, brilliant." I answered, heading upstairs. I grabbed some clean clothes and went into the shower.

When I'd dried and dressed myself, I heard Mum say "Promise me you'll post this letter today for me."

"Sure." I replied, totally forgetting what she'd said and sorting my hair and make up.

   On Monday morning, Mum came into the lounge, talking down the phone. "But I mailed it first class to you on Saturday afternoon. You should have received the money by now." She was saying. Oops, again, I thought.

When Mum had put the phone down, I looked at her and said "Everything okay?"

She glared at me. "You didn't post the cheque, did you?

"Oops."

"Don't bloody 'oops' me. That money was late as it was. I'll have to pay double this week."

"So-rry."

"Once again, the money is coming out of your pocket money." I shrugged my shoulders. "Ungrateful, ignorant cow!"

"Bitch!"

"Accident child!" My jaw dropped.

"FUCK OFF, WHORE! I HATE YOU! I WISH YOU WEREN'T MY MUM! I WISH I WAS NEVER BORN!" I stuck my middle finger up at her and stormed out of the house, slamming the door behind me.

   As I walked along the path, heading towards the park, I felt the need for Liam's comfort. I pulled out my mobile and scrolled down to Liam's number. I then wrote a text saying:

U doin nething 2nite? Txt me. T x

I got a reply a couple of minutes later.

No. Wanna cum 2 mine? L x

Ye, kwl. Time?

Ne. Wen u 3 nd do u want pickin up?

3 now. Nd can u pik me up plz?

Where r u?

By park gates.

Gimme 10 mins

Kk. Thnx. LY xxx

Liam arrived at the park gates while I sat on the curb, tears rolling down my cheeks. "You okay, hun?" Liam asked, enveloping me in his strong arms.

"Mmm." I muttered. Liam took my hand as we walked to his car.

   "You okay? Seriously?" Liam asked as we were driving back to his. I nodded then grasped my stomach when I felt a strange feeling in my stomach. It hurt, like being punched constantly. I ignored the feeling and sat, silently, in the passenger seat. When we arrived at Liam's, he opened the door for me and helped me out of the car. I smiled weakly and let him tow me into the lounge.

   When we got in, Jake was slouched on the sofa. "Hey guys." Jake said.

"Hey, Jake." Liam answered.

I smield at him and pulled my hand out of Liam's.

"Okay?" Liam asked. I nodded. "Okay, that's all you've done if you've not gone 'mmm' or sat in silence. What's up?" I shook my head and headed for the sofa, plonking myself next to Jake. The tears started to pour down my cheeks. I grabbed my stomach as I felt the pain again. Bloody hell! This is agonising! I lent my head on Jake's shoulder and silently cried. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and rubbed my arm. Liam knelt in front of me and looked at me. "What's wrong, Terri?" He asked.

"Nuffin'." I said, shaking my head. I then started to ignore every other thing that was said to me and went to sleep on Jake's shoulder, holding onto my stomach.

   "Terri? Terri, dalrin', wake up." Someone was saying. I scrunched my eyes tightly shut and repositioned my arms around my stomach. Someone pulled my arms away and held onto my hands. "Terri, wake up." I ignored the voice.

"Terri! Wake, the hell, up! You're scarin' the boy shitless!" A new voice said. I opened my eyes and saw Liam and Jake. I pulled my hands away and held my stomach. My stomach was really hurting but I had no idea what it was. I groaned and stood up. I was about to walk into the kitchen when Liam put a hand in front of me and stopped me from moving. "

S'cuse me." I said, slightly annoyed.

"Nope." Liam said, standing in front of me and about four inches above me. I sighed and felt a wave of dizziness hit me. I put my hands on Liam's shoulders and closed my eyes. Then I passed out. As I fell to the ground, I heard Liam and Jake yell my name and Liam cushion my fall by taking hold of my arms.

   "Hey, dude, she...she's waking up."Jake said as my eye lids fluttered, lightly. I looked around to see myself in Liam's bed again and Jake sat on a chair beside it. But where was Liam?

"Wh...where's Liam?" I said, saying my thoughts aloud.

"Oh, he went to get some water for you for when you woke up - which would be now. You're not gonna' pass out again, are you?"

"Nah, I...I'm good, I think. What happened?"

"Well, we were talking and you stood up, Liam stepped in front of you and then you just, kinda', passed out. You were standing then you grabbed Liam's arms and then you were falling. What...what was wrong? I mean, you were grabbing your stomach and everything."

"Oh, I dunno'. I just had this mega weird and painful feeling in my stomach." Liam walked into the room with a glass of water and came and sat on the bed next to me."Thanks. It's funny, you always seem to be bringing me something. Drink, Asprin, take-away." I then giggled, lightly. Liam just shook his head and smiled.

"You okay?" He asked me.

"Yeah." I replied.

"Good.You really scared me. I mean, one minute you're standing the next you're falling."

"Yep. Sorry 'bout that."

"It's alright. Jake, can you, like, go away for a bit? Please?"

"Yeah, sure." Jake said, smiling. He stood up, kissed me on the head and walked out of the room.

   "Terri, what was up with you earlier?" Liam said, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. I leaned in to his chest and put and arm around his torso.

"I'm not sure." I said, once again, thinking my way through the events of today and stopping at mine and Mum's argument. Accident Child, the phrase went back and forth through my head. With the pain in my stomach gone I could think clearly. Did that mean that I wasn't planned or that I wasn't wanted. That explains why I'm an only child I s'pose. They never planned t- "Hun, what's wrong?" Liam said, interrupting my trail of thought.

"What?" I said, confused as to why he was asking me if I was okay.

"Hun, you're crying. What is it?"

"Oh, sorry. Nuffin'. Just something Mum said to me earlier."

"What is it?"

"Well, I was sat in the lounge and Mum came in and was on the phone. When she hung up, I asked if everything was okay and she said I hadn't posted the cheque. I said 'oops', only remembering then. She then said 'don't you, bloody, 'oops' me.'. I said sorry, but in the really sarcastic way. She said that the extra money she'd have to pay would be coming out of my money and then she called me an ungrateful, ignorant cow. I called her a bitch and then she...she..." I stopped talking and started to cry again.

"Hun, what did she do?"

"Accident child. She called me an accident child. She was just glaring at me and then she just shouted it, really loudly. My jaw just dropped. I was so angry and annoyed with her that I yelled 'fuck off. I hate you. I wish you weren't my mum. I wish I was never born.', stuck up my middle finger and walked out of the house, slamming the door behind me.That's how the argument ended; accident children, whores and wishes. What a way, eh?" I then felt the tears roll down my cheeks.

   I had seen Liam's expression throughout my explanation. At first, it was calm and concerned. As I told him what Mum had said, his lips had parted slowly, and his grip on me had tightened. When I told him what I had done after, his eyes had widened and he was holding me close to him, almost clamping me there, not wanting to let me go.

   As I cried, Liam looked after me, comforting me and cuddling me. When I'd finally stopped crying, Liam just held me and I held him. I stayed over at Liam's that night. Liam, Jake and I had a pasta bake for dinner, courtesy of moi, and then watched some film on the sofa. Well, they watched it and I fell asleep on Liam's lap. I woke up next to Liam the next morning. I was cuddled up to him and his arm was around me protectively. I wriggled away from him and jumped into the shower while the two of them were sleeping, I had always been the early bird. As I enjoyed the warmth of the water pouring down on my head, I heard a knock on the door. "Hello?" I called out.

"Only me." Liam said. "Wondered if you wanted a cup of tea?"

"Please."

"'Kay, hun." I smiled and washed the shampoo out of my hair.

   "When did you get up?" Liam asked, handing me a mug of tea.

"'Bout forty minutes ago." I replied, blowing the tea to cool it down.

"Wow, you take long showers."

"Yep, I like to be clean." Liam and I made some toast and sat down on the sofa with our breakfast and watched some TV.

   About an hour later, after we'd finished our breakfast, washed up and sat down to watch some more TV, Liam went to shower and came back to resume his position next to me.Jake walked in, in his boxers, soon after. "Hey." He mumbled, heading for the kitchen. Liam and I both said 'hi' back and carried on watching TV, me leaning against Liam, wrapped in his protective arm. Jake came back in with a mug in his hand and sat beside me, drinking his drink and watching the TV. When he'd finished his drink, he headed into the bathroom and came out with a towel around his waist twenty minutes later. He then went into his room. Ten minutes later, he came out, dried and dressed. He came and sat beside me, again, and said "Everything alright?" I smiled and nodded.

"Yeah. Thanks." I said, showing my thanks through my eyes.

"Good. I'm glad to hear it."

   Liam and I spent the rest of the day together and then he dropped me off at home saying "Next time you call, bring some clothes."

I grinned at him and said "I'll bring a few sets. And thanks." He smiled at me. I lent over and pulled him into an intense kiss.

"Just remember, I'm always here for you, whatever you need." Liam said. I kissed him again. "I'll see you soon, babe. Love you." Liam then kissed me and I climbed out of his car. I headed for the house. I didn't want to knock and have to face Mum so I pulled the spare key from under the large pot plant and unlocked the door. I placed the key in my pocket and walked in.

   "I'm sorry, love." Mum said when she saw me from the top of the stairs. I ignored her and walked into my room. I pulled my suitcase from the back of my wardrobe and put it on my bed. I unzipped it and started packing, chucking in everything; clothes, toiletries, shoes, make up, hair stuff, everything I'd need. I'd made up my mind. I was moving out. I went downstairs and grabbed the newspaper off of the kitchen table. I then pulled a carton of apple juice out of the fridge and headed upstairs, back into my room. As I drank the apple juice, I looked through the newspaper, looking at flats.

   I know most people my age have to work to get a flat but I'm covered in that department. When Dad died, he left me all of his money. Mum always said I should use it for something important. Something useful. Well, I am. I'm using it to get a house. Well, flat, but same difference. I grabbed a pink highlighter from my bedside draw and circled all possibilities. There were four circles. These places all had a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and lounge and came fully furnished. And that was great, 'cos that was all I was going to need, at the end of the day - a home that felt homely. I phoned the owners and eventually narrowed it down to two flats. One had a spare room, shower and bath and was only an extra eighty quid. You might say that my money would go in an instant but the job listings were only a couple of pages away and if I had a job then I'd have a constant income as well as Dad's money.

   I looked through job listings and saw an ad for a waitress. The pay wasn't too bad and the hours looked good. Sure, I'd be on my feet all of the time, but I'd be independent and that was all I wanted. I decided that I'd get a job before moving away. I rang the owner of the more expensive flat and asked if they could give me a week to respond. They said it was fine.

   As I walked into the cafe for my interview, I felt grown up. I was wearing a suit, one I'd had to get for a previous summer job that I'd been forced to do. I was greeted by the owner and lead into a room in the back, I guessed it was the staff room. We sat down and the first thing the owner said was "Hi, I'm Frances and I own a cafe. Maybe you've come to the wrong place, are you Terri?"

"Yes, I'm Terri. I was always told that first impressions are the most important." I said.

"Oh. Well, you were brought up well. Anyway, have you had any past experience in waitressing?"

"Umm, no. But I am sociable and friendly. I'm hoping that you'll see them as good qualities, if not just tell me."

Frances smiled, chuckled under her breath and said "You're hired."

"What? I have no experience."

"No, but you're friendly and sociable, as you've mentioned, and you're just an easy person to talk to. You've already made me laugh and most people struggle to do that. I like you."

"Wow. Thanks."

"That's fine. When can you start?"

"Umm, Monday?"

"Monday's fine. Here's your timetable." Frances handed me a white sheet of paper with a rota on it.

"Thanks again."

"Okay, I do advise that you get here about ten minutes early, just in case I need help setting up."

"'Kay."

"Medium or small?"

"Huh?"

"Uniform."

"Oh. Small." Frances went into an office looking room and came back a few minutes later holding two plastic wrapped packages.

"Here." She said, handing me the packages. "Just wear plain, comfortable shoes."

"Okay. I'll see you Monday."

    As I stepped out of the office, I felt like I'd achieved something. I'd taken the first step. I had a job and would soon be supporting myself. When I got out of the cafe, I walked home through the park and smiled to myself the whole way. Later that day, Liam called me up to see how I was. "Yeah, I'm fine." I said, smiling and undoing the suit jacket.

"You sure." Liam persisted.

"Yeah. I'm better than fine, even. I'm great."

"And why's that?"

"Because..."

"'Because', why?"

"Because I've got a job and I'm getting a flat. That's 'because'."

"Oh."

   "You don't sound happy." I commented, noting the way his voice was monotone.

"Oh, no, I'm fine." The happiness in his voice was false and he knew I could tell.

"No, you're not. Spill."

"I'll come pick you up and we can talk, 'kay?"

"Sure. I'm at home. See you in a bit."

"Love you."

"Love you, too." I blew him a kiss and hung up. I pulled my jacket back on, put a new coat of lip gloss on and re-did my eye liner. I then put my mobile and the spare house key in my pocket and went and sat in the lounge.

   Mum came in from the kitchen and sat on the sofa, next to me."You okay, Terri?" She said, smiling.

"Fine." I grunted and turned to face the front window.

Mum sighed. "You're not still in a mood with me about our little disagreement, are you?"

"Oh, that's what you call it?"

"Yes, because that's all it was."

"That's a load of bull shit, and you know it."

"No, it's the truth."

"No. It's a big, fat arsed, lie. You were taking your anger out on me. When you take your anger out on people, you tell them the ugly truth. Now that isn't a lie. You've always done it. You used to do it dad, too. You used to blame him for me, saying it was all his fault, if only he'd bothered to use protection."

"Don't try and turn this on me."

"It was already facing you." I heard Liam pip his horn. "It's still facing you and it always will be."

   "Where are you going?"

"Away from you, because I'll never forgive you - for any of it. EVER! " I shouted as I headed for the door. I slammed the door behind me and headed for the car.

   Liam opened the door for me and smiled weakly. I thanked him and said 'hi'. As I sat in the car, I started to bite my nails, a habit I'd developed after mine and Mum's 'disagreement' - I only ever did it when I was angry or annoyed. Liam took my hand and moved it away from my mouth. "What happened?" He asked.

"What are you on about?" I asked, pretending that I had no idea what he was on about.

"Don't try and fool me, when something bad happens you bite your nails. It usually tends to be related to your mum. What is it?" Shit. He was very observant.

"The ugly truth."

"Is that it?"

"I also told her that I'd never forgive her for what she said to me."

"Ahh, you might struggle to get yourself out of that one."

"I don't want to get out of it. I want her to know what she's caused."

"That might not have a good outcome on either side, though."

"In English."

"Whatever happens, you're both going to get hurt."

"I don't care. I want her to hurt. If I have to hurt on the way, well, who cares."

"Me." I sighed and said nothing after that.

   At the flat, we sat in the kitchen and had a drink before Liam said "Do you want to stay here?"

"If you don't mind. It'll just be for a couple of days, honest." I replied, still biting at my nails. I did want to stay with him but I didn't want him to feel like I was using him as a hideout from my mum.

"Sure. Stay for however long you like."

"Thanks." I whispered as I lent my head on his shoulder and exhaled slightly.

   The next day, I asked Liam if he could drop me off to pick up my stuff. He said that he had to work but Jake would do it. I nodded and smiled at him. "What will I do?" Jake called in from the lounge.

"Take me off to pick up my stuff." I said.

"Okay, just give me a call when you want to leave."

"Thanks, man." Liam called to him.

   As I unlocked the door, I walked upstairs to my room to retrieve my suitcase of things. I then had to go and get my toothbrush and hairbrush. I took my suitcase into the hallway and left it on the landing at the top of the stairs. In the bathroom, I saw something that I never wanted to see. Even though I hated her with a passion, I didn't want to see her like that. All I could do was scream. I screamed at the top of my lungs before crumpling to the floor in a crying, snotting heap.

   "Terri! You okay?!" Jake's voice shouted up the stairs. Through my crying, I heard the sound of his feet pounding up the stairs. "Terri, where are you?" I didn't reply. "Terri!"

"Terri, why are yo-" Jake took a sharp intake of breath before sitting beside me and pulling me in to his arms as I cried. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I just nodded as I cried into his chest. Jake refused to look at the sight as my gaze was glued to it.

   My mother was laying there, her face ashen and her body limp. She had blood streaming down her arms and the bath water was red.  Her hair was floating around her head in the water and there were deep welts at her elbows. The cuts were scabbed over and the blood streams were dried up. She had a look filled with pain on her face.

   Soon, Liam was at my side and was helping me up and guiding me away from the bathroom. We sat in Liam's car as the police arrived. After an hour of questioning at the police station, I was allowed home. We sat in Liam's bedroom and I cried. He held me as I cried and kept me safe, not letting go fo me.

   Two months after staying at Liam's and Jake's flat, Liam and I got a flat together. We got one a couple of miles down the road from the old one. It hurt knowing that I had pushed my mum, but getting a new flat was a new start. A new leaf. A new lease on life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 102K 195
**Story is gonna be slow paced. Read only if you have patience. 🔥** Isha Sharma married a driver whom she had just met. She was taking a huge risk...
190M 4.5M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...
1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
43.5M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...