Please Believe Me

By Beautyinbooksblog

Madison Rosales is not your typical 22- year-old. While everyone her age is out graduating college? She's onl... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Madison
Chapter 2 - Madison
Chapter 3 - Maxon
Chapter 4 - Madison
Chapter 5 - Madison
Chapter 6 - Madison
Chapter 7 - Maxon
Chapter 8 - Madison
Chapter 9 - Maxon
Chapter 10 - Madison
Chapter 11 - Maxon
Chapter 12 - Madison
Chapter 13 - Maxon
Chapter 14 - Madison
Chapter 15 - Maxon
Chapter 16 - Madison
Chapter 17 - Madison
Chapter 18 - Maxon
Chapter 19 - Maxon
Chapter 20 - Madison
Chapter 21 - Madison
Chapter 22 - Madison
Chapter 23 - Madison
Chapter 24 - Madison
Chapter 25 - Maxon
Chapter 26 - Madison
Chapter 27 - Madison
Chapter 28 - Maxon
Chapter 29 - Madison
Chapter 30 - Madison
Chapter 32 - Madison
Chapter 33 - Madison
Chapter 34 - Maxon
Chapter 35 - Maxon
Chapter 36 - Madison
Chapter 37 - Madison
Chapter 38 - Madison
Chapter 39 - Madison
Thank You
Note to the Reader
Please Forgive Me
Please Love Me

Chapter 31 - Madison

12.8K 297 36
By Beautyinbooksblog

"Madi! He's here!" Leah yells from the other side of the door.
"Okay, coming!" I shout back.

I glance at the clock, he arrived fifteen minutes early. Thankfully, I'm ready. I just need to apply some chapstick to my lips and put on my teardrop earrings. I hear his deep rumble coming from the kitchen as he speaks to my mom and siblings.

My heart flutters and begins to pick up with both excitement and nerves.

God, I can't believe this is actually happening. Not three weeks ago I was cursing all men.

I blow out a breath, taking one last glimpse at myself in the mirror, and decide I look good enough.

Before I chicken out and decide last minute I will hide in this room for the rest of my days, I take a steadying breath and open the door.

I hear the sounds of my sandals clicking against the wooden floors as I walk into the living room. He must know it's me because the moment I step foot into the room it turns deadly silent you can hear a pin drop.

As Maxon catches sight of me his eyes round slightly and his mouth as well. My heart rate picks up as he takes in the dress Vanessa picked for me. It's a gorgeous floral white off-the-shoulder, maxi-length dress with a slit up one thigh. I wasn't too happy about that but from Maxon's dark gaze I can see Vanessa was right. He loves it. To finish off the look, I bought some low tan colored wedges with simple leather straps.

I use that time to take him in as well. And boy, do I know what it now means to feel heat pooling in your core.

He's dressed similar to when we attended Luke's bash but instead of a light blue button-down this time it's replaced by white. Matching my dress. His muscles bulge from beneath the shirt and I seriously cannot believe this is the man taking me out.

"Madi! Te ves hermosa!" You look beautiful, my mom says as she takes me in.

"Gracias." I shyly take a step forward, not used to this much attention from my family. They are so used to seeing me dressed down, I can only imagine what they're thinking right now.

"Damn," I glance at Leah who's standing behind Maxon with both of her thumbs up. I give her a timid smile as I step up to Maxon who seems to be stunned speechless.
"Hi." I breathe out, trying to calm my frantic nerves, all that deep breathing having no effect whatsoever whenever I'm in his presence.

"Madison, you look stunning." He tells me in a soft voice reaching down to grab my hand and dropping a kiss on it.

"Thank you, you're early," I tell him and feel my mom watching us closely.

"I couldn't wait to see you." He grins down at me and that's when I notice the bouquet of white roses in his hand. He hands them to me with a shy smile. "These are for you."

Emotion fills my chest, no one's ever gifted me flowers before. "Thank you," I tell him, smelling them lightly. They're gorgeous. It must have cost him a small fortune.

He nods before flashing that same perfect smile at my mom who looks like she wants to melt at the sight of it directed at her.

"Your family was keeping me company in the meantime. She also took the time to invite me to your birthday next month."

"Uh, yeah," I say, feeling slightly embarrassed. "It's still a couple of weeks though. I'm sure you will be back in New York or Boston by then."

He turns his gaze back to me and his emeralds glow with amusement. "I will be here. I'm not going anywhere. I actually managed to rent a home for the next month."

My brows raise to the ceiling. "You did?"

"Yup. I'm already settled in. In case you guys want to come by one day to see it." He tells my family. "It's right by the beach."

"Are you fuckin' serious?" Liam says a little too eagerly and my mom hits him on the shoulder.

"Watch your language." She scolds him.

He rubs at his arm and utters a sorry as my mom turns back to Maxon. "Thank you for offer but no, so embarrassed."

Maxon grins and glances from me to her. He gives me a look as if saying, I see where you get it from. "It's no bother. Really. But either way, the offer still stands."

She nods and Maxon squeezes my hand. "Well, I'll be taking your gorgeous daughter now."

My mom nods her okay and looks like she's ready to start jumping in place, Trinity on the other hand says. "Treat her right, Maxon. And keep her safe."

Maxon inclines his head slightly. "Always."

He rests a hand on my lower back as he stares down at me. "Ready?" He whispers, his lips close to my temple.

"Yeah." I hand the roses to my mom who admires the huge bouquet before telling me she's going to go put them in a vase.

Maxon says goodbye to my family and I hear Leah yell, "Keep her as long as you like! I told mom you were spending the night at his place!"

The door slams closed behind us just as I whip around. I look up at Maxon who's biting his lip. "I swear I didn't know she would say that," I explain and he shakes his head, clearly amused by family as he leads us to his SUV, pausing right outside the door.

"Sounds like she's expecting something to happen." He says and blood rushes to my cheeks as I recall what Vanessa said.

"Don't worry." He leans down and plants a soft kiss on my lips. "Nothing will happen. Unless you want something to." He winks at me and opens the passenger door for me.

As I slide into the car, I feel the heat coursing through my body so I try to focus on where I step, careful not to trip over my long skirt. The scent of leather and his cologne immediately takes over my senses. It smells so good. As if he just stepped out fresh from the shower but it's not helping my situation. My mind can't seem to get past the thought of us together. In an intimate setting.

Maxon rounds the car and I take that quick moment to inhale a deep breath.

Calm down, Mad. Don't focus on how sexy he looks.

He gets in just as I blow out my breath.

It appears he's just as affected as I am because the moment he settles in beside me, he lets out a shaky breath of air as he turns to face me, "God, Madison." His voice comes out deep, rough as he confesses, "I really need to kiss you right now."

"So do it," I whisper back and a small voice inside my head whispers, what the fuck. You did not just say that.

But I want this. I want him. And I know he does too.

I don't need to tell him twice before he's leaning in, cupping the back of my head, and bringing his lips down to mine. Softly, almost tentatively as if tasting fine wine, his full lips move against mine. My heart pounds against my chest as his tongue slips past my lips. He makes a low growling noise as our tongues dance together and I feel it traveling from my lips to my breasts until it finally settles in my
core.

God, I never knew kissing someone like this could be so addicting. It's like a breath of fresh air every time. My hands lift to cup his stubbled cheeks but he pulls back with a groan, leaning his forehead against mine. My breasts rise and fall in sync with his heavy breathing. He shudders against me. "I can't." He breathes out. "I need to, fuck, I'm trying to take this slow." His eyes molten with desire meet mine. "Don't. Don't look at me like that."

"Like what?" I bite down on my bottom lip and his eyes lock onto them.

"Fuck, Madison, I'm trying to take us out on a date here. I don't want you to think I'm only with you for sex."

I close my eyes, taking in breaths to calm my mind clouded with desire. "I know you're not," I say honestly, believing it wholeheartedly. "Men wouldn't stick around as long as you if they were only after that. They wouldn't have gone through all that trouble."

Believe me, I've been having some major reflection time when it comes to this man.

Maxon lets out a sigh and pulls back, running a hand through his thick hair as he stares out the window.

"Maxon," I reach across the console and grab his hand, I squeeze his hand causing him to glance back at me. "I know that what you feel for me is true and I thank you for being patient with me. Not many men have been."

His eyes darken but he nods slowly.

"You said you would show me just how deep those feelings ran, well I'm ready to see what you've got."

A grin slowly takes over his handsome face. "I think you know not to underestimate me when it comes to you."

I grin back. "Trust me, I know that now."

He drops a kiss onto the back of my hand, "Alright then, let's go. Get ready to get your mind blown." His eyes twinkle as we drive off to see what this surprise of his is.

                                                                                                     * * *

                                                                                                   Maxon

"Buonasera, signorina. Signore." The host greets us as we walk up to him.

"Buonasera." I greet him, a bit of my Italian accent coming through. "I made a reservation earlier in the week. Maxon Blake."

The man's dark brows raise slightly and I give him a barely perceptible nod. "Ah yes, Maxon Blake. You request a private table on the patio?"

Madison stares up at me and I grin. "Yes, precisely."

"Okay, follow me. I'll personally escort you signore, come, follow me. Everything is already prepared."

"Oooh, I see someone pulled the athlete card." Madison pokes me on the side and I grab her hand bringing it up to drop a kiss on her soft skin.

"Maybe a little." I give her a lazy grin and she looks away, taking in the dimly lit restaurant. People stare as usual but I ignore them, no one's ruining this day for us. And I made sure it didn't happen.

"Right this way," the middle-aged man opens up the wooden french doors leading onto the deck outside. "Here you are, signor
Blake e signorina." He does a sweeping motion indicating the table in the far corner with candles centered in the middle, already lit.
Madison takes in a sharp gasp and I grin, pulling out the chair for her.

She sits down carefully as if she can't believe this is happening to her. Well, she's got to see what else I've got in store.

I take the seat across from her and the host says, "A waiter should be out promptly to attend to you." He glances at me then at Madison who gives him a shy smile.

"Thank you," I tell him and he scurries away.

My gaze settles back on Madison who's taking in the ocean from up here. She looks so beautiful with her golden brown hair styled in simple waves. Her floral dress hugs her waist perfectly before feathering down into a loose flowing skirt showcasing her toned legs. Her soft skin, kissed lightly by the sun glows lightly as the sun starts its descent. She's so beautiful in a simple way. Everything about her screams warmth and kindness. So at odds with all those women I drowned myself in the past couple years of my life.

A knot of emotion clogs my throat. I never thought I would ever fall in love with a woman again. And yes, I admit I have fallen in love with Madison. From the moment I saw her I was a goner.

My ex hurt me in many ways but now I see that what I felt for her wasn't love. Infatuation maybe? Who knows? All I know Madison is a gemstone that God put in my path. The minute she stepped into my life I was lost. Everything was about her. I wanted her to look at me and see past the person I pretended to be for so long. It didn't come easy but it came and that's all that matters—with a little bit of persuasion and determination, of course.

Now she's here with me and I can't imagine living my life without her. If that were to happen? Shit. I can't even consider it because I just know I wouldn't be able to. No amount of alcohol or women would bring me back. Because Madison is my other half. My soulmate. And life was and is nothing without her.

"What are you thinking?" Her eyes reflecting the color of the ocean greet me with a smile. She looks so calm. Completely relaxed for the first time since I met her.

I swallow down my emotions and clear my throat. "Nothing, just that I can't imagine my life without you." I voice candidly.

Light humor dances in her glittering eyes, "That doesn't sound like nothing." She lets out a soft laugh, and I swear the sun glows a bit brighter at the sight.

"It's just that...I can't even see myself being that guy I used to be." I shake my head from side to side. "All those women...I wasn't thinking."

Her gaze turns tender and she reaches across the table to grab my hand. I hold onto it, reminding myself that that isn't who I am anymore.

"We all make mistakes Maxon. Half the time I wonder why I gave half of my exes a chance." She shrugs and no matter how much I don't like hearing about her past boyfriends, I know she disliked knowing about the women I was with. But they are both in the past. And that doesn't matter anymore. "But without them, we wouldn't realize when the good ones came along." She gives me a sheepish look. "I know I didn't when I saw you. I guess I was more closed off to everyone. Men especially. I had just broken up with Bryan and yeah, I already told how things went down."

I look at her, a softness filling my chest. "I'm glad you took a chance with me. You not only saw the light but made me see it as well," I caress her soft skin. "You opened the window so I could see what was right in front of me."
I give her hand a gentle squeeze. "Maybe not necessarily the same way but you were definitely a wake-up call from my previous style of living."

She lets out a hearty laugh and I stare at her, so full of love I know it will only continue to grow.

"Buonasera, signor." The waiter arrives at that moment and inclines his head at both of us in greeting.

"Welcome to ristorante di palmas. My name is Lorenzo and I will be at your service for the rest of the evening."

Madison stares at me and I can tell she finds all this a bit amusing. I give her a wink as the waiter hands us our menus.

"I will give you few minutes to look the menu over. In the meantime, would you like to sample a bottle of our red wine? It came straight from Italy."

I glance at Madison and she nods. "Yes, if you don't mind, Lorenzo. Thank you."

"Of course, sir. It's my pleasure. I'll be right back."

Madison lets out a laugh and quickly covers her mouth. "Sorry. I'm just not used to all this formality."

One side of my mouth tilts up. "Never gone to a fancy restaurant?"

"Um, I'd rather not answer that question at the moment."

My eyes narrow. "Don't tell me that's where Jake-ass took you?"

"Uh, I'll pass." She lifts the menu and I let it go. I don't want to be thinking about that asshole and potentially ruin this date for both of us.

I pick up my own menu and see so many dishes my mom made me as a kid. I wonder if the food's as delicious as hers. Doubtful. No restaurant can surpass a mother's cooking.

"What are you getting, beautiful? And don't be afraid to order. This day's for you. For both of us."

She meets my gaze and bites down on her lip before scanning through the menu again. "Mmm, I was thinking of going for the lasagna. I've been craving some for a while. What about you?"

"I was thinking of going for the Rosso buso alla Milanese."

"I've never heard of that. What is it?"

"It's veal. Braised with vegetables. Kind of like a stew of sorts. Or caldo as you call it. Almost like birria? Is that what you guys call it?"

"Yeah, who taught you that?"

Blood rushes into my cheeks. "Your mom may have mentioned making some for your birthday."

She shakes her head. "Of course. My family loves that. It's one of our favorite dishes to eat."

The waiter comes back with the wine and two glasses.

"Here you are." He pours a glass then hands it to Madison who watches him pour the wine with fascination.
"Signorina. Signor. Are you ready to place your order?"

"Yes." I look at Madison, letting him know she'll be ordering first.

"What will you be having, signorina bella?"
Madison blushes at the term of endearment and I swear if he weren't for his professional tone I would think he was hitting on her.

"Can I have the lasagna? The traditional one, please."

He nods and turns to me. "What about you, signore?"

I tell him my order and he nods, saying our food will be right out.

Madison stares at me for so long, I wonder what's going through that mind of hers. Not that I mind, she can stare at me all she likes. As long as it's only me. "What is it, beautiful?" I ask after she makes no move to say what's running through that pretty head of hers.

"I'm just wondering, you know how you told me your mom was born in Italy?"

I nod, "Do you know how to speak it? I never asked."

"Kind of. I mean, I understand most of it but it just never stuck for some reason."

"Did your dad learn?"

"Well, he went to Italy for a year to study architecture. I'm sure he learned something. Especially after he met my mother."

"Is that how they met? In Italy?"

"Yeah, love at first sight or so they said. I never believed them until that happened to me," I stare at her, and her eyes round. I decide now's a better time as any, "I loved you the moment I saw you, Madison." My heart begins to race as she doesn't say a word.
"I understand you may not feel the same way—"

"I love you too, Maxon." She whispers so very softly I almost pop an ear straining to hear her, "come again?"

She take in a deep trembling breath and composed herself, saying confidently, "I love you, Maxon Blake. I think I fell in love with you the minute I saw you."

I growl, fighting the urge to take her and claim her here right in front of everyone. I'm starting to think it wasn't the best idea to profess my love for her here.

To control my primal urges, I lift our wine glasses and gesture for her to do the same.

"Cheers! To falling in love." I make the toast as her glass clinks against mine.

As we both drink I take her in. She feels my intense gaze on her and her cheeks fill with a pretty pink.

She must realize what's happening because she tries distracting me, only she says, "Jesus, that's very good." She takes a bit more wine and stops, adding quickly, "It runs down very smooth."

"I'll ask if they have a bottle we can take home," I respond gruffly.

Shit. Get it together.

Thankfully, the waiter comes back with a cart at that moment.

Madison's mouth drops open slightly and she quickly glances at me. I smile at her and turn to stare as Lorenzo sets our dishes in front of each of us.
"Your cuisine, Mr. Blake. Signorina. I hope you enjoy your dinner and remember, I am at your service."

He bows and I thank him again.

"Damn, this looks so good." I watch as Madison admires her glorious plate of carbs.

I chuckle. "That does look pretty good."

I say as I compare my plate to hers. "On second thought, I should've ordered that as well. Despite the carbs."

She shrugs. "Your loss. I, on the other hand, will be enjoying every second with my carbs that will most likely settle on one part of my body."

I let out a laugh. "Oh yeah?" I lift a brow, "where's that?"

Sheepishly she answers, "My ass."

My jaw pops, it's becoming really hard to hold back.'You do have a pretty delectable ass." I say, an edge to my tone, "I love it. Every part of you. Inside and out."

Madison blushes as she gives me a grin then digs in. I do as well and it's not bad. "Oh my goodness, this has got to be the best lasagna I've ever tasted! It's so cheesy."

Jesus Christ.

My eyes darken as it follows her tongue which licks some sauce from her lips. "Eh, it's alright."

"Maxon!" She looks around to make sure no employees are nearby.

"I'm kidding. It's not half bad. Although my Ma does make some bomb lasagna. Way cheesier too. I always tell her I can't eat some because she overdoes it on the carbs."

"Well, your mom and I can be friends. I can never fully give up carbs. It isn't in my blood. But I get it since you're a fancy athlete and all." She teases.

"You know the saying, this body doesn't make itself."

"You do have a nice body though. I wish mine was a bit nicer. I still need to work out a bit of my stomach area." She pats herself.

"Baby, you look perfect. I'm not telling you what you can and can't eat. You do you and besides, I love your curves."

Her cheeks darken to a pretty shade of pink. "Thank you. But I would love to work out a bit more."

"The only workout you'll be doing is with me." I wink at her and bite into my veal. It's really not bad.

"About your mom," She asks between bites changing the subject and I nod, telling her to go ahead because God knows we both need to diffuse this sexual tension. Nothing more helpful that mentioning a parent.

"Is she all by herself in Louisiana?"

"Yeah, the rest of her family is in Italy. But she has a few friends in Louisiana. I would've never left if she was completely alone."

"I'm sorry. About your dad." She says and I glance up at her, I told her what happened to him a few days ago and how he's no longer with us. I don't want to think about such sad memories though. Not today. It's our turn now. To be happy.

I reach across the table and squeeze her hand. "Me too. But he would've been happy. To see that I've moved on with the most beautiful, kind, funny, humble girl in the world."

"Maxon, stop. You're making me uncomfortable."

"It's the truth. Accept it, sweetheart. Because I will never stop admiring you." I drop a kiss onto her knuckles. "This is only the beginning, beautiful. And I can't wait for you to see what else I have planned for tonight."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

202K 5.7K 61
"I need you to be the put together one because I'm so fucked up. You've saved me." He whispers. "Carter, we saved each other." I mutter looking at hi...
508K 15.7K 49
"Kara, you're my best friend right?" "Umm yeah?" "You'd do anything for me, right?" "As long as it doesn't involve 10 years in prison, yeah." "Be my...
89.7K 1.8K 20
Josh and Katie have been best friends since he first moved nextdoor midway through freshman year. They were attached to the hip and acted like they'v...
561K 24.2K 106
We're not in love. Our past is a dumpster fire. The best we are is friends with benefits... without the friends' part. Jake Harrison, USC's star quar...