Room for Rent || Chaennie

بواسطة chaeismyhubby

A story wherein Roseanne, a broke working student was thrown out in her apartment due to non payment of rent... المزيد

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
New Story

Chapter 6

2.5K 132 93
بواسطة chaeismyhubby

After blanking out for a few moments, Roseanne did something she never actually thought she would've done. She pulled her apron off, dashed over to the counter to have it deposited, and headed straight for the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" Lisa's annoying voice stopped her.

"None of your business." Roseanne curtly answered before bolting out through the door.

Roseanne looked around for a while and finally caught sight of Jennie, who was attempting to cross the street, completely oblivious to a motorcycle that was speeding towards her.

Naturally, Roseanne sped over and grabbed the shorter girl by the wrist, timely pulling her back as the bike noisily rustled past them.

"Yah! Are you okay? Don't you have eyes? You could've been knocked down!" Roseanne found herself reprimanding the other girl. Jennie, who was obviously in shock because of the near accident and Roseanne's sudden change in attitude, could only stand still as she let the situation sink in.

"I..." Jennie tried to speak but she just wasn't able to formulate a coherent sentence.

"You should just be careful!" Roseanne filled in the blanks.

"Yes..." Jennie mumbled. She could still feel Roseanne's fingers wrapped tightly around her wrist. The girl must be really worried. But why?

"What made you so mad you had to leave?" Roseanne continued, her voice still anxious and cross.

At that, Jennie looked up to meet the taller girl's intense gaze. "She was clearly making you feel uncomfortable!"

"So what? I'm used to such things already! You just put your life in jeopardy for a nobody. It's not worth it." Roseanne argued heatedly.

"It's my own life! Why're you getting worked up over it? You obviously don't give that big a hoot about me because every single time I tried to talk to you, you just hurried off as if you couldn't stand me!" The shorter girl retorted.

It was a little amusing to see the two bantering back and forth. It was, after all, one of the longest conversations they both were having.

"I never said I couldn't stand you! You shouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly because it's not fair!" Roseanne snapped back, further tightening her grasp on Jennie's wrist.

It was only when Jennie pulled back with a disdainful expression and an "ouch" that Roseanne realized she had hurt the other girl.

"Gosh, I'm sorry!" Roseanne released her clutch at once, noticing that faint red marks had formed on Jennie's wrist.

"Pretty strong hands you have there." Jennie commented while examining the redness.

"Sorry... should I get you some ointment for that?" Roseanne scratched the back of her head clumsily, not knowing what else to say.

It seemed as though the storm was over.

"I'm fine." Jennie brushed it off.

"So uh, are you going to go back or what? You left your drink there." Roseanne muttered. She was back to her meek, insecure self once again.

At the mention of returning, Jennie recalled how Roseanne had left her apartment so suddenly in the beginning.

"If it's not too invasive a question, where are you living now?" Jennie conveniently ignored the girl's previous question.

"Some guesthouse. Why?" Roseanne answered obediently.

"So you have no intention whatsoever of ever moving back into my apartment?" Jennie continued.

"I..." Roseanne was stumped again. Did she really have to bring this issue up? Jennie's questioning gaze only served to add more pressure on her.

"I hate pink." Roseanne made up what seemed like the lamest excuse ever.

"Ha! I knew it was the color of the room! What if I got it repainted?" Jennie was pretty insistent.

"The furniture's all pink. You gonna replace all of that as well?"

"I could if that's what you want." Jennie nodded.

"Forget it. I'm never going back there." Roseanne shook her head.

"But... but you owe me one now!" Jennie pouted.

"Huh? And what would that be?" Roseanne raised her brows in amusement.

"This!" Jennie stretched her left arm out. The red marks were still evident although they were already fading off.

"Yah! I saved your life!"

"Hmph..." Jennie puffed her cheeks out like a little girl and gave Roseanne a small glare. The only things missing in the picture were a pair of ponytails and a giant lollipop.

Roseanne stifled a laugh at the sight of the girl. She would've stretched out to squeeze Jennie's cheeks if she could. "What's the deal with you wanting me to move back anyways? Are you really that short on cash?"

"Contrary to your beliefs, it's not all about the money..."

"What is it about then?"

"It's because I think I'm falling for you."

That would've been the ideal answer but those words were never said.

-----

"Roseanne! It's so good to see you again! Are you finally going to stay for good this time?" Mrs. Song's face brightened up at the sight of the tall girl. She had her suitcase with her. She was also accompanied by a smiling Jennie.

"Ah, I see you've managed to convince her, Miss Kim..." Mrs. Song guessed knowingly from the pleased look on Jennie's face.

"Hey Mrs. Song! We'll have to get the room repainted... we'll also need to do away with any and all pink in the room." Jennie spoke and Roseanne's eyes doubled their size at once.

"I was just kidding! Everything is perfect just the way it is..." Roseanne hurriedly commented.

"I'll bring her to her room!" Jennie tugged at Roseanne's sleeve and she inherently followed. Jennie seemed to have become billions of times nicer and so much more cheerful since the episode that afternoon.

It sure felt good to be back in the spacious and luxurious room once again. It made Roseanne feel even better now that she was on talking terms with the other girl. She left her suitcase in a corner and settled down onto the bed, taking some time to appreciate its comfy softness and silky texture.

"So... you're sure you're fine with the color? I won't have you storming off again like the other time." Jennie sat down beside her and Roseanne felt her heartbeat accelerate from the mere presence of the girl by her side.

"Mhm..." Roseanne could only stare at her feet. As strong as the desire was for her to turn and face the girl, she wasn't sure her poor heart could take all that flawlessness.

Peace.

Quiet.

Silence.

Awkwardness.

"Jennie?" Roseanne finally articulated and the other girl turned to look at her. It was the first time she actually addressed the girl directly by her name. It felt slightly uncomfortable.

"I just want to apologize for the way I treated you before. It was pretty rotten of me. So yeah, I'm really sorry about everything... it sometimes takes me awhile before I warm up to people..." Roseanne admitted. She had wanted to get this off her chest for some time now and the situation seemed like a good time to do so.

"Hey, don't apologize. I never took anything to heart. Perhaps I was a little too brazen when I tried to force you to stay the other time." Jennie answered. Her voice was soft and gentle. Roseanne secretly thought to herself that she could never get tired of it.

"No, it had absolutely nothing to do with you..." Roseanne was still fixated on her toes.

Jennie suppressed the urge to ask other questions about the girl's life. Granted, she admired the girl too much for her own good and she was more than eager to take their friendship to a different level but she was afraid at the same time. She didn't know where the line was and she definitely did not want to overstep the border.

She was also a little confused at Roseanne's behaviour. She could be so outspoken at times like earlier that afternoon and yet so quiet like right now. It was getting a little tough for Jennie to read her. Nevertheless, things were moving at an appropriate pace so far and Jennie was determined to keep it that way. She couldn't afford to scare Roseanne off again. Furthermore, she was grateful for the way things managed to sort themselves out thus far.

"Well, I guess I'll leave you alone for now... you must be tired from a hard day's work. Goodnight, Roseanne." Jennie stood up and made her way towards the door.

"Goodnight, Jennie."

"Oh, and before I forget..." Jennie turned back and Roseanne raised her head curiously.

"Thank you... for today." The girl flashed a cutesy smile before leaving.

For some reason, Roseanne longed for the girl to stay just a little longer. She could only watch as the door closed, leaving her all alone in the huge room again.

She missed Jennie already. There was just a distinctive, likable quality about the girl that made Roseanne fall deeper and deeper. Upon further reflection, Roseanne actually felt thankful about the incident that occurred earlier that day.

She was gratified that Lisa had put her down the way she did because it brought her a step closer to Jennie. In fact, she wouldn't mind the least bit being put down some more if it meant her relationship with Jennie would improve.

-----

Jennie awoken to a strong burning smell and a multitude of screams and shouts that appeared to come from the kitchen. She sat up rapidly and rushed over to the door. As she threw it open, throngs of smoke poured into her room, which caused her to cough and splutter.

"Oh, no... stop, drop, and roll... stop, drop, and roll..." Jennie remembered what she had read in a pamphlet years ago and hurriedly got down on her hands and knees. Remaining in that posture, she slowly crawled towards the kitchen. There, she saw a panicked Mrs. Song furiously struggling with a fire extinguisher and Roseanne, looking lost as ever.

She quickly stood up, ran towards the sink, filled a huge bowl up with water, and proceeded to douse the cold liquid over whatever was sitting on the kitchen stove. A loud hiss was heard and the smoke soon cleared up.

"What happened? Are you guys alright?" Jennie set the bowl down onto the counter gently.

"I was... I... tried to... the stove... my eggs..." Roseanne stuttered, staring at the charred mishmash on the stove.

"It's okay, Roseanne... we're alright now..." Mrs. Song ruffled up the taller girl's hair and exhaled a sigh of relief before leaving with the fire extinguisher.

"Sorry... I think I ruined your stove..." Roseanne croaked, still in shock. She had some soot on her face and her hair was all tousled.

"Nah... that can always be fixed. Just as long as you're fine. Come on, let's get you cleaned up." Jennie hugged Roseanne's arm and led her back to her room.

"I must be the most useless person on the face of this planet. I couldn't even handle my own eggs." Roseanne muttered as Jennie dabbed at her cheek with a damp cloth.

"Don't say that. Not everybody can set a stove on fire and still manage to look adorable at the same time, you know." Jennie giggled.

"Huh?"

"I mean uh... are you still hungry? I'm sure you are..." Jennie changed the topic at once.

"I am but I'm going to be late for work. Guess I'll have to make do with nothing until lunchtime." Roseanne shrugged, rubbing her rumbling tummy.

"What? That will never do! I'd rather you be late for work than slog away on an empty stomach! Let's go for breakfast together, okay?" Jennie insisted.

"I can't... Mrs. Moon was already kinda pissed off at me when I left suddenly yesterday. She'd kill me if I'm late again today." The thought of getting fired was more than ample to kill Roseanne's appetite.

"Do you mean to tell me that this Mrs. Moon is going to take full responsibility if you faint halfway while you're working?" Jennie pointed out matter-of-factly.

"But--"

"Shh. If we hurry now you might just make it to work on time. There! All clean! Come on, let's go!" Jennie grabbed Roseanne's hands and tried to make the girl stand up but she lost her balance in the process, and ended up falling forward, right into the taller girl's arms.

"Be careful!" Roseanne cautioned as she caught hold of Jennie and helped her to regain her balance. She could see a tint of pink forming on the girl's cheeks and wondered if she was flushing herself.

"Are you alright?" Roseanne asked when she noticed that Jennie was evidently embarrassed by what had just happened.

"I..." Jennie opened her mouth to speak but chewed her bottom lip instead. It was the first time Roseanne had witnessed the girl looking so flustered.

Before Roseanne could say another word, Jennie had already made her way out through the door.

"Nini! Why are you acting like this? What if she finds out about your feelings towards her? Keep your cool and stop being such a klutz! Gosh, why am I feeling so confounded?" Jennie mentally admonished herself as she hurried back into her room and bolted the door.

Roseanne should never know the way she feels. She would probably leave for good.

But that wasn't the exact reason why Jennie was feeling so apprehensive.

She was more worried that Roseanne would never reciprocate her feelings.

What if everything was just wishful thinking on her part?

Jennie wasn't sure she was brave enough to handle the rejection.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

97.6K 2.7K 18
The thing about Jennie Kim is that... She is actually in a relationship with a girl. Nobody is supposed to know. All hell will definitely break loose...
559K 25.9K 27
Moving into her own apartment was a big step for Lisa. She always had roommates so being alone was different. She was scared but was determined to f...
24.9K 1.2K 18
"break up with me,"Rosie said. "why can't you?" Jennie choked as Rosie looked away. "I.. I can't do it. Aren't you tired?" "You will regret this," Je...
17.5K 1.4K 39
Jennie Kim is devastated when she discovers that her sort-of-best friend/sort-of-girlfriend has been kissing someone else. Heartbroken and ready for...