Marvel: Cold As Ice

By marvelstars

Follow as Mandy Meets Howard Stark and sets off on an adventure that would span not one but two life times More

2
3
4
5

1

23 1 2
By marvelstars

It began to rain late one night as Mandy waited for the bus. She'd just got off a long weeks work and was waiting to go home for the weekend when a man walked up to her. "Pardon me miss?" The man started to say, "any spare change. My car broke down and I want to call home to let them know I'm alright." Mandy stood up and opened her umbrella, "here mister," she handed him the 50 cents she had in her hand and proceeded into the rain.

The man ran after her, "I can't take your cab fair." Mandy smiled to him, "I'm only a few blocks. Get home to your family." Mandy was about to continue on till the man spoke again, "it looks like you have room for two. Perhaps I can walk you home and use your phone?" Mandy nodded, "sure mister."

The two proceeded back to Mandy's apartment. The man was led to the phone where he called home where his butler picked up the phone, "Stark Residence." The man spoke, "Jarvis, it's me. Can you come to," Mandy handed the man a note with her address on it. The man then informed Jarvis of his location and asked Jarvis to bring him a change of clothes."

While the man waited he got to know Mandy and all her dreams and aspirations. It was also in this conversation that he learned Mandy didn't know who he truly was. "So what do I call you?" Ask Mandy. The man smiled, "friends call me Howie." Mandy smiled.

In no time Jarvis would arrive with the change of clothes. He and the man would excuse themselves to another room to have a private conversation, "Jarvis I want to sweep her away from this mess." Jarvis got wide eyed, "you just met this women. Sir, do you really think that's wise?" He shrugged, "I don't know but I found out she's a brilliant engineer and would be a great asset to Stark industries." Jarvis went and stood by the door, "you know the press will have a field day with this. New York's most eligible bachelor and this poor young thing doesn't need to get swept up into that." The man was about to speak when Jarvis interrupted him, "Howard!" Howard looked to Jarvis, "then perhaps we propose a plan. I can't lose her."

Jarvis had his back on the wall now. He was shocked to hear Howard like this, "if your serious sir. Now would be the best time. We can do it in the cover of night. The press thinks your vacationing in the Hampton's. They won't expect you back in New York for another week." Howard nodded, "Jarvis, what would I do with out you?" The two exited the room and went to find Mandy sitting reading one of her many books.

"Mandy," Howard approached her more, "darling, I have a proposition for ya." She looked to him with a big smile, "what is it Howie?" Howard could help but smile at her. She was everything he looked for in a partner. The perfect combination of brains and beauty. "I," Howard found himself at a loss for words when he stared at her. "Miss," Jarvis began to speak, "he wants you to come and work for his company." Howard spit out, "I want to give you everything." Mandy felt her cheeks heat up, "I just met you Howie. We are practically strangers."

Howard took Mandy's hand and squeezed it, "I know. I know this seems crazy," Jarvis butted in, "irrational," then Howard continued, "irrational, whatever. I just... there's only one thing I know for certain since we met and that is" Howard watched Mandy giggle, "I don't even know your real name." Howard stood up and went to grab the folded news paper of the kitchen table, "you're the first person to treat me like a human, as myself. If this changes your mind. I understand but," he handed Mandy the news paper, "the one things I know for certain is I want you by my side as this country goes off to war."

Mandy looked to the news paper and opened it to the front page to see Howard Stark face plastered there with a head line reading "new invention expected at Stark expo next year." Mandy looked up to Howard with wide eyes, "you're?" She looked to the paper and back to him, "you're so much more handsome in person."

Howard let out a laugh before sitting next to Mandy, "what do you say?" He placed his hand out and she took it. "Do I still get to call you Howie?" Jarvis let out a little chuckle, "a name to stay between us. Darling, please. What is your answer?" Mandy nodded, "a chance to work for you sir would be just swell. As for the other thing," she smiled, "what exactly did you want from me?" Howard squeezed Mandy's hand, "you showed me so much kindness in one moment that a life time could never begin to be enough to pay it back. I want you to pose as my wife. The whole town things I'm not in it. Perhaps you can say we met." Mandy stood up and walked to the kitchen, "at the peer watching the sunset?" Howard followed her to the kitchen, "what ever you want to tell them darling." Mandy began to prepare coffee, "the spark wasn't just one side." She turned to Howard and smiled before grabbing the cups.

When Mandy couldn't reach them Howard came to her aid, "I want to give you the option to chase your dreams." Mandy went for the cups and felt her hand graze Howard's, "what if?" They took each other's hand, "what if my dream changes?" Howard smiled, "then perhaps we chase it together." Mandy nodded then poured a cup of coffee for him and Jarvis. The three would discuss living arrangements at the kitchen table and just what the future truly had in store for them.

"Howie, Howard," Mandy got up from her chair and walked to the fire place to retrieve a photo, "in the 20's my family was well off. We were happy but the depression came and we moved here to this one bedroom apartment," Mandy walked and handed the photo to Howard, "this is my family. This is all I have left." Howard got up and took Mandy's hand, "i know you need time to decided." Mandy shook her head, "I want to." Howard smiled before Mandy continued, "Howie, I have lost everyone and what ever that spark was." Howard interrupted Mandy, "I don't want to lose it either."

Howard kissed Mandy's hand. "When do I need to pack my things?" asked Mandy. Howard pulled Mandy to her feet, "darling we can do that tomorrow. Please. Please come home with us. There is so much I wish to show you." Jarvis let out a sigh, "the poor girl will need some clothes to change into sir. Let her go pack a bag. Will come back for the rest of her belongings later."  Howard nodded as Mandy went to get a bag to pack her things.

It would be two months before she'd return to clear out her belongings. She'd spent every waking moment with Howard as he showed her all his inventions, told her of his plans and preparations for the future. She believed to have found her right partner. On Christmas Eve, 1942, Mandy was finally moved into Stark mansion where she'd begin her new life as the doting house wife.  She planned to play the part perfectly until she received an unexpected surprise. On Christmas morning Mandy would wake up to find a fully decorated tree filled with presents. As she wandered around it she could hear Howard say, "want to open some?" Mandy walked over to Howard, "not without Mr. Jarvis." Howard smiled, "I gave him his gift and the rest of the year off. We have the house to ourselves." Howard motioned for Mandy to pick one. She looked at each gift and noticed they all had her name on it.

Eventually Mandy would settle on her first gift. A small box wrapped I. Red and gold. "Are these really all for me?" Asked Mandy. Howard nodded and gestured for her to open it. He so hoped she'd pick that one first and as Mandy opened it Howard went and got on one knee, "I know this will be just an act but I still stand by what I said. I want to give you everything. I want to help you chase your dreams." Mandy smiled as he placed the ring on her finger, "i think I've found my new dream" Howard kissed Mandy's hand, "then perhaps," Howard smiled, "if you let me. Maybe we could chase that dream together." Howard stood up and pulled Mandy in for a kiss, "it's only been 2 months but I couldn't help it." Mandy smiled, "yes." Howard got wide eyed, "really?" Mandy nodded her head, "yes. No rehearsals. No parts to play. Yes." Howard kissed Mandy once more. He was over joyed at the idea that the women he loved had loved him in return. "Do you want to stay and open your gifts? Or perhaps we could take a stroll?" Mandy took Howard hand and pulled him toward the stairs, "let me go get changed Mr. Stark." Howard smiled, "I'll be waiting Mrs. Stark."

In that moment the two shared their happiness but in the next war would set them on a different path. A knock came at the door as Howard and Mandy were headed to leave. Upon opening the door they would find Colonel Philips and a soldier. "My apologies for bothering you today," said the colonel. Howard with irritation in his voice said, "we were just headed out." Mandy took Howard's hand, "the colonel would be here if it wasn't important," Mandy turned to the colonel, "colonel would you like to come in." The two stepped inside before Mandy continued, "how about you take this to your office dear. I'll go start a pot of coffee."

Upon entering Howard's office Mandy was faced with being the odd man out. There was no place for a woman during talks of war according to the soldier. She was pleasantly surprised to here Howard stay, "if you want my company to contribute then my wife stays." The colonel got wide eyed, "congratulations Mr. Stark." Howard smiled then looked to Mandy, "what do you think dear?" Mandy looked at the files on the desk, "it seems highly profitable for Stark industries and I believe you'd be a good assets to Project rebirth." The colonel got wide eyed and was cut off by Mandy, "I have ears general and besides, I know how to read," she looked to Howard, "I think we should, but it's your call dear." Colonel Philips got up from his seat, "We don't need a decision now but do need one soon," he collected the files, "let's reconvene in the new year." Howard stood up, "I'll do it. Will meet in the new year to discuss specifics." Colonel Philips and the soldier left.

"Darling I have a tough question to ask you," said Howard as he made his way over to Mandy, "come with me?" Mandy smiled to Howard, "Howie," Mandy's smile got bigger, "you know I'd follow you anywhere." The two kissed before heading out on their stroll.

The new year would usher in many opportunities for Mandy as she began to dabble with Howard in his lab. The new year also brought the preparation of Stark expo and talks of war. Howard and Mandy prepared tirelessly for the Expo. It replaced the old worlds fair and ushered in a new age of technological advancement.

The main attraction of the expo would be Lola. Lola was Howard's attempt at a flying car. He and Mandy would present the car to the audience. Mandy was nervously pacing back and forth till she heard, "Are you ready for this?" She turned to see Howard struggling with his tie. "Help," Howard would say handing the tie to Mandy, "darling what would I do without you?" Mandy smiled and said, "how do I introduce you?" Howard let out a laugh, "however you wish." Mandy took Howard's hand, "and now my husband, mr. Stark." Howard got uneasy, "perhaps." Mandy interrupted him, "and now for our gracious host, Howard Stark!" Howard kissed Mandy, "what would I do with out you!?" Mandy laughed as she straightened the tie and collar Howard was wearing.

Just like that Mandy would go out on stage and introduce Howard. He would pull her in for a kiss then present Lola to the crowd. Half way through the performance Lola began to malfunction and crash to the display floor. Howard let out a witty remark, "I did say a few years didn't I?" Howard walked back to Mandy then disappeared behind the curtains, "we need to find out what that was." Mandy nodded, "we might need to recalibrate the stabilizers or possibly find a new way to reroute power. The parts we had weren't good to begin with." Howard nodded, "sounds good to me but let's not worry about that now. I want to show you the expo." Mandy let out a chuckle, "you want to show me the thing with your name on it?" Howard kissed Mandy, "Were married doll. It's your name too." Mandy's smile grew bigger, "I know. I just like it when you say that."

Howard escorted Mandy to her fitting room. It was there they were greeted by Colonel Philips and their Howard would learn about how they needed him on the front lines. Mandy walked out of her fitting room to find Howard and the Colonel yelling. "What's going on?" Asked Mandy. Howard looked to Mandy then back to the Colonel, "my wife comes or no deal. I'll pull out of our contracts. She's a brilliant engineer and you need her just and much if not more than I do." Mandy spoke up, "sir," she looked to the Colonel, "you know the power my husband has. If you don't let me come then he'll find someone who will. It's best to make it easier on everyone."

The colonel let out a laugh, "you have one hell of a women Mr. Stark." Howard took Mandy's hand, "will see you in two days. I promised my wife a tour of the expo." Mandy smiled, "good night colonel."

Howard and Mandy would make their way through the expo to see all the exhibits. Mandy was in awe. Just a year ago she dreamed about showing her work here and now she was married to the man who made it all possible. "Darling," said Howard. Mandy turned her attention to Howard, "I need to go take care of some paper work. Do you think you'll be alright on your own, or would you like me to get you Mr. Jarvis?" Mandy shook her head no, "I'll be alright on my own. I'll finish the rest of the exhibits and meet you back at the office?" Howard nodded as he took Mandy's hand, "I got lucky with you." He placed a kiss on Mandy's cheek then hurried off to the soldiers Mandy saw waiting in the distance.

When Howard was out of sight Mandy turned to the expo and took in its brilliance. She had always begged her folks to take her here as a kid and now her work was being displayed and she wanted to go see what people thought so Mandy began walking to the section Howard had dedicated for her. She walked past suits that would allow me to withstand being on fire to innovations on food production and more. This expo was truly America's finest minds coming together and she couldn't wait to see what the future held in store for her.

When Mandy arrived at her display she found two men standing there. She was hopeful their would be more but 2 she would take. Mandy went and stood next to the taller of both men, "hello." The taller man looked down to Mandy, "ma'am." Mandy turned to the two men, "sorry to bother you gentlemen," Mandy smiled, "Mr. Stark is having me go around to ask viewers what they think of certain exhibits. Do you mind giving me your input?"  The smaller of the two men spoke up, "I think the woman who proposed the idea of ending world hunger by growing our food larger is ahead of her time. Howard Stark took a shot with this one and I think one day this concept could save the world, but right now I don't know. We're in the 1940's, the world isn't ready for women like that."

The taller of the two men spoke next, "What has you working on a night like tonight?" Mandy smiled to the man, "Well Mister,I enjoy it," she looked to the smaller man then back to the taller, "I must be going. This was my last stop and Mr. Stark wants to hear about everything." Mandy made her way back to Howard who had just finished with the paperwork, "hello doll," the two kissed hello, "what did you think?" Mandy smiled, "a soldier and his friend paid nice complements to one of my exhibits you put up." Howard smiled, "well then you best come up with more things to show case at the next one. I'll give you a whole wing  if you're interested." Mandy's smile filled the whole room. She was excited that her work would finally get a chance to be showcased.

"Now darling," Mandy would hear Howard say snapping her out of her thoughts, "What would you like to do on our last night of freedom?" Mandy smiled, "let's go dancing?" Howard placed his arm out for Mandy to take, "shall we?"

The two would proceed to dance the night away and tomorrow they would be off to Jersey to help prepare for project rebirth. A project set to create the worlds first super soldier and a small boot camp in jersey would be just the place to find a perfect candidate.

Howard drove down from Manhattan to the base with Mandy. The whole drive was filled with everything Mandy might see. Young men signed up to fight in this war. "Maybe," Mandy began to say but was cut off by Howard, "you belong here. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise doll. Now," Howard pulled into a spot and put his car in park, "from here on out we're on business mode. No more fun times until this war is over." Mandy nodded, "Howie?" She smiled to Howard, "won't you mind getting my door." Howard let out a chuckle and like that the two were off to get ready for the project and eventually overseas.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

525 25 20
They had been friends for a while. One night was all it took...
1.4K 95 25
Story about Tony and Steve uwu UNFINISHED BUT COMPLETE
56.4K 1.1K 76
Reader inserts that I have written. Tony Stark x Reader Bucky Barnes x Reader Steve Rogers x Reader Stucky x Reader Avengers x Reader
13.4K 336 24
Follow the life of Tony Stark as he begins to find himself a new family and purpose.