The Best Nightmare

By Amelie_Violette

Norman really wants to have his swellow whisk and dump that green haired thief onto a deserted island. But he... More

The Best Nightmare

139 2 0
By Amelie_Violette

A/N: Loosely inspired by a conversation with close-friend's dad during her wedding that I attended a while back. What started as a one-shot solely in Norman's POV somehow transformed into... third person. All in an attempt to make this less 'gloomy'. Well, at least it kind of starts and ends with him.

This is set 13 years after Battle Frontier ended, and with my not-very-reliable calculations, May is 23 years old and Drew is a year older than her.

Disclaimer: The author does not own Pokémon, and fully respects the works and ingenuity of Satoshi Tajiri, Ken Sugimori and Junichi Masuda.

---

It's been said that a daughter is a treasure and a cause of sleeplessness. It's also been said that every daughter's dream and every father's nightmare will meet at the same time.

Norman could certainly attest to that.

What is that cause and day? It's the time where they have to give their daughter away.

As Norman sat on the edge of his bed and stared at the well-pressed suit hanging outside the closet, he felt a swirl of indescribable emotions. It was hard to identify them. Was it worry, confusion, apprehension?

'No, all these are negative emotions, and tomorrow is to be a joyful occasion.'

His train of thoughts were interrupted by a familiar voice.

"Honey! It's late, go to bed, we can't have you groggy for May's big day! Good night!"

Having said so, Caroline, with a warm eye compress mask in hand, tucked herself under the covers and gestured to Norman to switch off the lights.

"Good night." Norman muttered, pressing the switch.

He pulled the blanket up to his chest, still thinking about what's to come tomorrow, closed his eyes, and dreamed of the past. The past where his lovely May called him 'daddy' for the first time. The past where she and Max got into their first of many squabbles. The past where she was finally granted permission to go on a journey, and returned with her own pokémon, contest ribbons, even a ribbon cup......

And a guy.

Normal jolted up, now awake.

Yes, that's right. She achieved so much, and as if all those weren't enough, she brought home a guy as well.

***

"So, tell us again, how did your father eventually accept Drew?"

While Norman was deep in his thoughts (or dream), May and her girlfriends were having her bachelorette's party in the Grand Slateport Resort. Well, perhaps slumber party will be a better term, for they were all in their comfy pajamas, lying on the plushy bed, and munching on 'healthy' snacks.

Serena and Iris, having been recently acquainted with the rest of the group, visibly perked up the moment Zoey brought this topic up. Dawn, Leaf and Misty started giggling, well aware of what went down - they did witness it first hand after all.

"Did he throw stones or something?" Serena asked with her eyes wide open. At this, Dawn shook her head and replied, "No, silly! Norman simply sent his gang of Vigoroth and Slaking after Drew."

"What? Are you serious!?" Iris was shocked.

"Drew proposed at the seaside restaurant in this very same resort." Leaf let out a little laugh before continuing, "It's simply unfortunate that Norman caught the tail end of it when he swung by to buy the exclusive choux that this resort imports from Kalos, which Caroline really wanted."

"Oooh is it the choux from Lumiose's famous bakery? Miette-Puff?"

Serena piped up. When May affirmed by nodding, Serena muttered, "Miette might be a rival but she really does make the best choux."

"Anyways! It was hilarious, it happened so fast. Norman shouted something like 'This thief needs to prove his skills before he can have my daughter!' And in a flash, his Swellow whisked Drew off and dumped him in the greenhouse. How can we miss seeing that? So all of us got onto my Gyarados and rushed to Petalburg."

Iris interjected, "Vigoroth, Slaking... Heck, any pokémon actually! They don't react well to being rudely woken up. How did Drew survive?!"

"By the time we got there, Drew was battling the last Slaking, the 'boss', with his Flygon, while his Absol was handling the remaining few Vigoroths." Dawn paused, giggled, and then continued, "I heard that to this day, Absol still gets a little agitated whenever he sees a Vigoroth. Isn't that right, May?"

"--Ahahaha, yes!" May was laughing almost throughout her friends' recount of the events of that day.

She couldn't believe that her father accepted Drew after that. Well, 'after that' as in, after a few more tests. She's not that dense to believe their trip to Sinnoh's Battle Tower was truly a 'future father-and-son-in-law bonding trip'.

No, she knew he would accept Drew eventually. He was just acting out because he's concerned and worried about her. It was thanks to her family's love, support and guidance that she grew up without lacking in anything.

'Come to think of it, time really flies. I'm about to start my own family. Tomorrow, I'll no longer be--'

"You're really fortunate, May. To have such a loving, protective father."

May was so immersed in her thoughts that she didn't register who made that statement. She blinked, and the smiling faces of her friends entered her view.

"Yes, I really do have a wonderful father."

***

"Dad, Mom, Max... How do I look?"

Norman stared, misty-eyed, at May, his beloved daughter. May stood before him in a gorgeous off-shoulder knee-length white dress, naturally ruffled with countless layers of pale white tulle and lace, embroidered with hundreds of crushed petals as it went down. A simple diamond necklace adorned her neck, and similar diamond earrings delicately hung on her ears. Her hair was straightened, with a small part of it braided, and a fresh red rose in full bloom was inserted by her ear. Her outfit was completed with white strappy heels.

Everything he wanted and should say was stuck in his throat. He felt his nose stuffing up, and tears creeping up in his eyes.

"May, you'll come and visit us often right? I'm really happy for my sister! But-- wahhhh!"

"Oh May, my dear, my daughter. You're always beautiful, but even more so today!"

Norman was grateful that at least someone in the family was able to give an appropriate response. Caroline continued to shower May with praises, moving around her to ensure every piece of hair was in place and that nothing was missing. Of course, everything was in place. Dawn, Janet and Savannah did a fantastic job on the makeup and hair.

Sniffing a little, no, a whole lot, Max bent slightly to give one last brush to Absol and Delcatty's fur. He then handed his sister a bouquet of red roses that's tied together with a silvery white ribbon, saying,

"I'm really happy for you, May."

"Thank you."

May was uncharacteristically quiet. For a moment, there was only silence.

Though, it was just a moment.

"Oh, all of you!" Caroline tutted, then said, "Just stop with the gloomy faces! It's a wedding, wedding!"

Before any of them could respond to that, Dawn and Leaf ran in, hurrying the family to head into the venue.

Norman grunted, still using his utmost to control those swirling emotions threatening to break out through his eyes. And as they were moving out, he noticed three other pairs of teary eyes, furiously blinking away.

The ceremony was held on the private beach owned by Grand Slateport Resort. Norman vaguely remembered Caroline telling him something like 'this was where their daughter first met Drew' before she headed to the beach towards her seat with Max.

Stuck at the entrance of the resort and hidden behind a wall, all Norman could do was to stare blankly into the distance as his daughter's friends made some final checks. He came back to his senses upon feeling another's warmth around his left arm. May held his arm tightly, smiling a gentle, wistful smile.

"Dad, are you all right?"

"Of course I am."

"Really? Then please give me a smile. Please?"

It just occurred to Norman that he hadn't smiled a single bit today.

'This won't do. It might be the best worst day, but that's on me.'

Norman then cracked a smile. It started out small, a little thin, but a few seconds later, his smile widened into a grin, showing his pearly whites.

"Sweetie, I will definitely be okay. It's your big day."

May's sapphire eyes seemed to shake for a moment, she opened her mouth, hesitated, and settled with, "I'm glad. Thank you."

***

Then a familiar melody was heard, signaling the start. Beautifly and Masquerain flew towards the beach, making the area sparkle with silver wind. Absol and Delcatty followed suit, walking elegantly towards the makeshift podium on the beach. As that duo reached the podium and stood neatly at the side, Norman could feel his heart accelerating. For...

It was now their turn.

Arm in arm, Norman and May walked down to the beach, towards the green-haired man who would soon take her away from him. The charming young man with his emerald hair slicked back smiled at them, and he nodded in response, lips twitching a little.

Was it happiness or dread that's making his heart beat fast? Probably both. Norman gently untangled his arm from May's, giving her hand one last squeeze before nudging her forward. With a final nod and genuine smile at the couple, he stepped away from the podium and went to his seat, between his wife and Blaziken.

He did it. He 'gave' his daughter away.

The ceremony, vows, and exchange of rings proceeded smoothly. Upon the words, "I now pronounce you, husband and wife, Drew and May Hayden", a flurry of petals courtesy of Roserade burst into the air, scattering on the audience.

With everyone cheering as the couple kissed, Norman allowed a stray tear to fall, hoping that the fluttering petals would make it go unnoticed.

(Almost. Blaziken, who sat next to him, patted his shoulder with a smirk.)

***

Dinner went well. Norman allowed himself to be distracted by Ash's stories of his journeys and Birch's latest field research discoveries.

Yet every now and then, his eyes went to his daughter and his new son-in-law. They spoke animatedly with Gary and Paul about evolution techniques, and seemed to discuss contest preliminary performances with Wallace and Abby. They even got into a mini argument with Harley, with Solidad chuckling at the side.

They went around the beach, always hand in hand, full of smiles and laughter. At one point, Drew said something to May which made her blush, and she almost yelled but he shut her up with a kiss.

At that, Norman felt he was intruding on the couple's moment and he turned his attention away. His heart clenched. Once again, there's a strange feeling in his stomach, a tickling sensation in his eyes. He loved his daughter so much, and really, truly, sincerely, he was glad she found someone to love, who loved her back.

Norman really wanted to have his Swellow whisk and dump that green haired thief onto a deserted island. But he knew that would make his beloved daughter sad beyond words. May's highly anticipated day was certainly Norman's greatest nightmare.

He can't help but to feel it's bittersweet. Just today, as a father, surely he could be allowed to feel like this?

May finally parted from Drew when it's time for the father-and-daughter dance.

At the beginning of the dance, they talked about the everyday insignificant things. As the dance continued, she told him of her plans, no, her and her husband's plans, for the future. They'd go region hopping for a year before starting their new jobs as coordinating instructors at KJHS Academy.

23 years was a long time, yet all too short if he was to compare it to the future ahead. His throat tightened again, but this round, he pushed through.

"May. Just like when you went on your journeys, please contact us every other day."

"If he ever makes you sad, you can always come home for a night. I'd send Vigoroth after him for making you cry."

"It's not easy to live with someone else for long, or to start a family. There's bound to be arguments, disagreements... but I'm sure the two of you will get through it. As a couple, as a team."

Norman heard a sniff, and he could see himself reflected in May's glassy, sapphire eyes. He was certain his own dark orbs were moist too.

"You know, Dad," May whispered, leaning her head on his shoulders as they swayed to the soft beats of music, "I really love you."

"I know, and so do I, my daughter."

END of The Best Nightmare」

---

The After Stories:

One. An Absol-ute Disaster.

While their trainers were busy eating, socializing and dancing, the pokémon were having their own gathering. It's been a while since they last saw each other, there's a lot to catch up on.

Beautify, Masquerain, Butterfree, Togekiss and Pidgeot were racing through the air over and over again. The two Bulbasaurs were having a friendly chat on how to increase their razor leaf's sharpness. And Munchlax was having a slow, very slow, discussion about berries with the two Torterras.

It would be a beautiful and peaceful scene, if not for this bunch.

"Blaze, blaziken, blaziken." (As our trainers want to focus on exploring and well, enjoying their honeymoon, they'll only be bringing 4 of us along. I'm definitely going. Just in case something happens and May needs a strong fighter.)

"War, wartortle, tle tle tle." (I'll sit this trip out. So will Beautifly and Munchlax. Max said he'd like to try battling with us.)

"Glace, glace glace glace!" (I'll be having an eeveelution party with Gary's Umbreon, Leaf's Espeon and Zoey's Leafeon. After that, I'll chill at Oak's lab with Bulbasaur. Y'all enjoy!)

As soon as Glaceon said that, he pranced off, likely in search of his fellow eeveelutions.

"Absol, ab, ab, absol." (Awesome. It can be Blaziken, Roserade, Flygon and myself then. Settled.)

"Meow, meow!" (No, I'll go along with them on their honeymoon! You sit out!)

"Absol, ab, absollll!" (What? Don't you like lazing, uh I mean relaxing in that greenhouse?)

"Meowww eoww! Meow, meow." (What do you mean 'lazing'! Anyways, you sit out, your role overlaps with the others.)

"Ab, absol?" (Explain. What?)

"Meow, meow, meow meow." (Blaziken and Roserade are strong, Flygon is strong and for aerial transportation. You... what can you contribute?)

"--Ab, ab..." (Uh, uh...)

"Meow, ow." (Exactly.)

"Sol, sol, absol!" (Then what do you contribute?)

"Meow, meow, meow!" (Style, grace and cuteness!)

Upon hearing that response, Absol was indignant. He growled. Delcatty narrowed her eyes to that.

Buneary, Pachirisu and Pikachu, who were just tuning in to the drama, immediately became alarmed. A cat-dog fight was the last thing they wanted on this very special day!

"Pika, pika pika, pikachu!" (C-Calm down, don't fight!)

Delcatty then purred, seemingly looking demure and gentle before saying, "Meow, meow... meow!" (Oh don't worry Pikachu, I won't be fighting. Vigoroth! Absol is bullying me!)

"Vig, vigoroth! Vigoooroth!" (On it! Norman said we have to protect May and that extends to her pokémon!)

"Ab? Absolllllll!" (Why, you little...!)

And with that, Absol went running around the beach with Vigoroth hot on his trail.

"Meow, meow." (Mmm, I guess it'll take a while more before Absol gets over his fear of Vigoroth.)

Pikachu, not knowing what to do, could only laugh.

.

.

Two. Who's Next?

"So, now that May and grasshead are married, who is next?" Gary said with a smirk, wagging his finger at Dawn and Paul, and Ash and Misty. "Or how about, me and you, Leafy?"

Gary immediately received a reply. Or more like, 'replies'. A punch in the gut from Paul, a whack on his arm from Misty, and a sharp jab in his ribs from Leaf.

"Okay, okay, I get it! Let's change the topic!"

.

.

Three. Beachside Conversation.

After the father-and-daughter dance, Norman decided to take a walk by the sea. He was just about to get lost in his thoughts, something that he was doing really often today, when an unfamiliar pokémon cry interrupted him.

"Rose, rose."

"Oh you're Drew's Roserade..." Norman said, bending down to pat the bouquet pokémon on its head.

"I thought I'd find you here. Hello, Norman."

Looking up, Norman saw the emerald eyed man who he had given his daughter to just a mere few hours ago. He stood up, and gave him a nod in greeting.

"May I speak with you?" Drew asked.

Giving Drew a tired smile, Norman replied, "Of course you may. It's not as if we haven't spoken to each other before. Why are you so polite..."

Drew let out a short laugh. "Yes, that's true. We spoke a lot when we were at the Battle Tower. But I thought I'd say it again. I'm truly thankful that you gave us your blessings. Thank you for raising May to be who she is today." He paused for a moment, as if to gather his courage, then continued,

"Indeed, behind every great daughter is a truly amazing dad."

Norman pressed his lips into a thin line. He then took a deep breath, and organised his thoughts. 'Ah,' he thought, 'why is this guy saying this now, and to think the thought of dropping him off on some island ever crossed my mind... Right, he is the one my daughter chose.'

"You know what Drew, let me share with you this apple pie recipe Caroline and I have that May really adored..."

END of The After Stories」

---

Endnotes: Thanks for reading till the end! Phew, it's really been a while since I last wrote a fanfiction. Took me forever to get this out. If you like, do leave a comment and let me know your thoughts!

As you can see from the 'After Story', there were scenes that were either a) cut out in favor of keeping it in mostly Norman's view, or b) taken out because I couldn't turn those sentences into a proper scene.

I have written a prequel one-shot that's actually more Drew/May focused (about the proposal), will get to uploading it here soon. Probably will write a sequel about their married life eventually too, but let's see, let's see.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 39.3K 92
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...
609K 21.9K 96
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’œ my first fanfic...
1.3M 53.1K 55
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
1.2M 53.2K 99
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC