The Fallen Widow

By The_Night_Writer

In the face of the powerful, young and roguishly handsome landlord Choudhary Shah-Nawaz Qureshi, only Mehar-B... More

Intro
Background
Background: Family Tree
1. Golden Field of Dreams
2. River of Joy.
3. The Order
4. The Noble Household
5. Hookah Bettak
6. Haveli's Dark Past
7. Inside the Haveli
8. Cliff Edge
9. Imperial Garden
10. The City
11. Whispers of the Valley
12. Mischief Maker
13. Sikander the dark Stallion.
14. Dissent
15. Escape
16. Sealed Fate
17. Cry of War-Part 1
17. Cry of War- Part 2
18. Marriage Pact I
18. Marriage Pact II
Author's Note: Story So Far
19. Blinded
20. Hunted
21. Exposed
22. Dark Secrets
23. Shift of Power
24. Battle for Jahanpur
25. High Treason
26. Punishment without Trial
27. Stolen Heir; Part 1
27. Stolen Heir ; Part II
28. Heartbreak
29. The Prisoner
30. New Dawn
31: Panchayat - The Judgement
32. Proposal of Peace
32. Proposal of Peace ; Part II
33. Legacy Returns
34. Retribution
35. Dark Reflections
36. Returning Home
37. Cold Heart
38. Race for Jahanpur- Part II
Race for Jahanpur- Part III
39. Panchayat; Crowned
40. Descent
Author's Note
Book II- Chapter 1; New Era
Chapter 2-
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7 - The Oath
Chapter 8 - The Stables
Chapter 9 - The Trenches
Chapter 10- High Treason
11- Wedding Order
12: Abduction
Author's Update
13: Outlaw
14. The Ceremony
15. The Hero King
16. Turmoil
17. Flying Rumours
18. Alone and Vulnerable
19. Steal of the Night
20. Dawn Breaks
21. Confession in the Night
22. Dance of Ruination
23. Heavy Price to Pay
24. One Night
25. The Fallen Widow
26. The Ultimate Panchayat
Book III- Chapter 1; The Howling in the Wind

38. Race for Jahanpur: Part I

922 118 76
By The_Night_Writer

The grit spit from under Shafiq's bald tyres as he speeded around the corner winding through the narrow alley ways just missing the oncoming fruit cart. Earlier, when his apprentice burst into his garage with news that the Choudhary kidnapped his wife on her way to the river, Shafiq jumped onto the motorbike that was left in his garage for a tyre change. His fingers tips blackened with grease, wearing his tool belt, he revved the engine onto the bumpy road.
"The motorcycle is dangerous!" Yelled Razaq, his twelve year old apprentice. "The tyres won't hold the ground."

Shafiq disregarded his safety. Why did he allow Meh'r-Bano to go to the river? Why was Tasneem a stubborn mule? He should have stood his ground and laced her morning chai with extra pills. That would have kept his wife bed bound.
Shafiq tapped his boot on the ground, slowing his motorcycle to stop. He finally was at a standstill yards away from the gate. He parked his motorcycle under a tree and rushed to the gate. Was Meh'r-Bano at the haveli?
"Where is she?" He asked the guards. "Where have they taken my wife?"
The guards had no time for the greasy man.
"Where is she?"
After five minutes of arguing with the guards, Wajahat Ali appeared sending fear through Shafiq recalling the day he marched into his home.
"What does he want?" Wajahat asked the guards as if Shafiq was invisible.
"Where is Meh'r-Bano? She was on the way to the river, and she was kidnapped."
Wajahat Ali glared at Shafiq turning his nose at him.
"She's working here!"
A sliver of relief passed Shafiq. Swiftly, he was compounded with worry. Why was she back? If she was in bed, they would not have taken her.
"I want to see her."
"Get rid of him." Said Wajahat Ali turning to the gate.
"When is she coming home?" Shafiq yelled.
"She will do her duty and return in the evening. Now piss off!"
Shafiq decided that tonight, when Meh'r-Bano returned he would lace her milk with stronger pills. He had to stop her.

***
Over the next few days, Meh'r-Bano's health took a turn for the worse. Fatigue, dizziness plagued her that she couldn't get out of her bed. Lying in bed, thoughts circled tighter and tighter drifting to the haveli. Jahanzaib was a good man. Son of Shah Jahan. The rightful heir to the throne. Her mind spun a web of dreams that he could bring true.
"If only he would visit the quarry, and see those poor kids." Her heavy eyes lids struggled to open. Her mind clogged she couldn't think straight.
"I must get back to the haveli." Meh'r-Bano mumbled and fell asleep.

After warnings from the haveli, Shafiq was forced to send Meh'r-bano back to the haveli for a day. He was terrified of Wajahat Ali's boot kicking in his door. It was four days later when Meh'r-Bano returned to the haveli. Making her way in she found the maids engaged in a frenzy of cleaning and preparation. Shamim didn't waste time and threw a discoloured grey rag at Meh'r-Bano. She handed her a yellow bucket, full with soapy cold water ordering her to join the army of maids to scrub and polish Shah Nawaz's haveli floors. Who was coming?
Inside the hallway, Meh'r-Bano joined two young girls who buzzed with energy as they were called into the haveli.
"What's going on?" Meh'r-Bano kneeled down and joined two young girls.
"Don't you know? We have been cleaning for days." Said the young girl dressed in a blue dressed buttoned to her chin swallowing her neck. Her hands moved with force working into the white marble tile. Kaki looked at the ground and stared at her teeth to see her reflection.
"The bride is coming. No one has ever seen her." Said the other girl, describing Emaan from the rumours she heard.
"She is pure and spent her life behind one hundred veils and has read the Quran over a thousand times." Kaki exaggerated.
"Bride?" Meh'r-Bano stared at the girl who circled her hair behind her ear.
"She's very beautiful and pure. She has eyes as blue as the sea. Her lips are red as a rose. She will sure suit our Choudhary Saab."
Meh'r-Bano sighed deeply looking at her hands moving in a semi-circle motion trying to keep focused.
"She is from Kharagpur, sworn enemies. But this marriage will end all wars. She will fix our Choudhary Shah Nawaz. All the drinking, the mujras, the women, it will stop. Our Choudhary will change."
Was this Shah Nawaz's tactic to take Jahanpur? A union between Jahanpur and Kharagpur meant Shah Nawaz was in a strong position to lead Jahanpur.
"When is she coming?" Asked Meh'r-Bano squeezing the cold water out of her cloth.
"Just like Captain Khan. Do you remember when he was young and playing cricket?"
"Oh yes!" Said Kaki. "He went with that rich gori? What's her name?"
The girls plucked random names from the air.
"Diana."
"Elijabeth."
"Jemima!" Said Meh'r-Bano. "When is she coming?" Her tone sharp. She wanted an answer.
"Then he married that crazy journalist-"
"And now look- masha'Allah- he has married a pure, religious woman and he became rich and won the elections. It was all the women's spiritual energy."
"Good women are for strong men and make them leaders."
Meh'r-Bano dunked her rag into the yellow bucket unable to get an answer from the maids as they were absorbed in love stories and spinning romantic tales of the bride and the Choudhary. The maids explained the order of the panchayat. If Shah Nawaz married Emaan, he would certainly take Jahanpur, where would that leave Jahanzaib? Time was running out for Jahanzaib.

Later that morning two black SUV's pulled into the courtyard. Emaan arrived in a unique entrance with her entourage. A group of maids raised a wooden frame, eight feet in height covered by a soft, luxurious velvet cloth erected all around Emaan forming an enclosed space. For purposes of modesty and to protect her from a strange man's sinful wandering gaze, the enclosed space travelled with her pace concealing her until she reached the Shah Nawaz's haveli. Dressed in a long black robe pleated from her slender waist, she travelled as though she was floating, her feet concealed by the flow of the dress like silk. When she approached Shahgul, she removed her veil revealing a gold strip framing her forehead stitched over her black hijab. With her arms open wide, Shahgul's smile reached her eyes. Her hands cupped like she was ready to sip from a pure spring. She framed Emaan's face and held her pausing to drink the vision before her.
"Masha'Allah." Shahgul praised the Lord for honouring her home with beauty and purity. She leaned in gulping a crisp, light scent of vanilla musk and kissed Emaan on her rounded, soft cheeks. Shahgul leaned back once she bestowed her with kisses and tilted her face up to meet her wide, kohl dressed, black eyes.
"Subhan'Allah. Glory be to God."
Yasmin watched intently as Shahgul was beguiled by her daughter's beauty.

Meh'r-Bano stood under the pillars in line with the other maids unable to see Emaan.
"Masha'Allah. Look at her, so pure."
"She is perfect."
The maids sang praises despite being unable to see her. They muttered praises which only poured anger through Meh'r-Bano. Why is it, that men can be rascals, rogues and sleep with a hundred women, yet they must marry a pious, pure woman? Why aren't they judged? Society was unequal and unfair.

Shahgul coordinated the day with precision. No maid would step close to Emaan. They were all sent to the kitchen to prepare a feast. Shahgul introduced her Mailaikah and her children to Emaan.

It was later commotion erupted in the central haveli spilling into the courtyard. Shamim quickly ordered the maids to the main haveli.
"Hurry, hurry." Shamim rounded up Meh'r-Bano and the maids.
"He's gone mad again. Go tidy the place whilst they calm him down. The guests must never find out!" She waved her long sticky index finger.
The maids rushed into the haveli with Meh'r-Bano trailing behind.
"What's going on?" asked Meh'r-Bano.
"The young Choudhary has a jinn in him. Every morning he goes crazy." Said Kaki.
"Peer Haider will heal him."
An anxious and tense Shahryar exploded with anger. Inside the room it was carnage. The dinning table turned upside down. Vase, lamps, smashed into smithereens. Bedsheets stripped. Shahryar stood in the in the centre of the room without his glasses. Surraya, Nirma and Jahanzaib stood around trying to calm him.
"I've had enough! I'm done with this!" His hands curled into fists he punched his chest. Surraya stood helplessly trying to calm him down. Nirma covered her face with her hands in distress.
"Beta, please calm down." Surraya lifted her hands, her tone soft.
"I can't do this anymore ammi. I hate it here. I hate everything." He sobbed pulling his hair. His broken glasses smashed, his hair dishevelled. Knowing the maids were at the door, Nirma spoke English so none of them would understand.
"Sherry! Don't worry- we will escape. I have a plan."
Meh'r-Bano eyes lit up glaring at Nirma in fear. There is no escape from Jahanpur. After nineteen years they were kidnapped and returned. Malaikah escaped with her husband and bought back. There was no way out. She was worried for Nirma.
"Ammi, calm him down or I'll lock him in the toilet." Yelled Jahanzaib kicking the table leg that stuck out.
"Beta- he's stressed."
"We all are! But we are not breaking the place." Said Jahanzaib.
"It's your fault!" Shahryar confront his brother and pushed him. "Why don't you do what they want you to? They want you and we're stuck here!"
"Calm down boys!" Surraya stepped between her sons, but they leaped in a scrum with Jahanzaib trying to restrain his angry brother.
"Stop it!" Cried Surraya.
Jahanzaib proved to be strong lifting his younger brother in a bear hug and carried him to the toilet. He threw him in and locked the door from the outside. The sound of smashing erupted from the bathroom. Surraya pushed Jahanzaib and slapped him.
"What is wrong with you? Why don't you calm down? You are older!"
"I can't deal with him ammi. What's wrong with him?"
"You know he's under a psychiatrist. He's having a breakdown!"
It was heart-breaking to see the family implode in the room. Meh'r-Bano felt helpless watching the family torn in pieces. Once Jahanzaib marched out of the room, the maids made their way in like soldiers trained not to ask questions and to clean the mess like they did every other day. They replaced the vase, stripped the bedsheet and brushed the shattered glass.
Meh'r-Bano took a tray of broken glasses into the courtyard and threw it into the bin. She stood up and straightened her tight back after hours of scrubbing and brushing worried about her healing wounds. She spotted Jahanzaib sat on the fountain, crestfallen his back curved rubbing his face. Meh'r-bano looked around if anyone was looking. The haveli was busy. Shah Nawaz and Uzayr were hunting since morning. Dilawar-Baksh was visiting his lands. Shahgul was entertaining her daughter in law.
Cautiously, Meh'r-Bano made her way towards Jahanzaib. He saw her sandals before she spoke.
"I'm gonna go crazy! I've had enough!" He shot to his feet.
"He's right- your brother."
Jahanzaib spun around and stared at Meh'r-bano his face burning red with anger.
"You're the man of the house. You have to make the decision to protect your family. Your sister is planning to escape. What if you obey your grandfather? Take the turban for Jahanpur."
Jahanzaib ran his hands through his curly hair. He hated the man who hit his mother. Anger and revenge was on his mind, not submitting to him. Meh'r-Bano inched closer.
"Ammi hates the idea. I want to leave this God forsaken place with my family."
"Didn't you say this place feels like home. You feel a sense of belonging." Said Meh'r-Bano. Jahanzaib was torn, one side he had these heart tugging feelings for Jahnapur, the place where he was born and grew up. On the other hand, his siblings were struggling.
"Take the throne of Jahanpur and liberate your family. Send them back to the city."
Jahanzaib shot a look at Meh'r-Bano noticing for the first time the shade of her eyes as the sunlight struck the emerald hue. Meh'r-Bano caught his attention but swiftly turned away.
"Once you are the chief of Jahanpur your word is law. Everyone, even your grandfather will obey you."
Jahanzaib rubbed his hands, his mind whirring like a fan in thought. Was this possible?
"Ammi- she will be angry."
Meh'r-Bano wanted to reach out and hold his arm, to touch him, shakek him, to convince him, but she held her enthusiasm back.
"You said it yourself. You feel obliged to provide and protect you family. You are the man of the house, so you must make decisions to protect them."
"But- I don't know anything about this place- the laws the system."
Jahanzaib was entertaining the idea; this was a start.
"A man must have the right qualities to be a leader. You have compassion and are selfless. The son of Shah Jahan- the right heir to the throne, your baba believes in you. This is more than enough, the rest is simply rules that can be taught."
It was like a light was switched in the dark. The road out of Jahanpur was clear. Also, he could remain in Jahanpur.
"I come from another world. Like you. When I saw the injustice here, the torture, pain and cruelty, I realised I am too weak to stop it or change it. Have you been to the quarry?" Said Meh'r-Bano.
Jahanzaib hadn't left the haveli.
"The children have bruised feet and hands from hours of carrying bricks on their head. This must change, change must from within – you can be the change."
As Meh'r-Bano explained the injustice in Jahanpur, Jahanzaib recalled his siblings dreams. Shahryar wanted to study in Germany to study computer science at the world's best university. Nirma wanted to study medicine In London. The belief that he could make their dreams come true propelled him to the ultimate decision.

***

Oak doors carved with flowers and foliage opened for Emaan. The marble floor glimmering like glass. Potted plants, with colourful flowers bursting at every corner greeted Emaan. Light flooded through the shutter windows bouncing off the marble flooring. Emaan stopped through the corridor glancing up at the ten foot tall oak framed portrait of majestic white capped mountains reflecting in the ocean blue glimmering lake. She had never seen anything like it. Kharagpur was a bankrupt in opulence in comparison.
"Come, come." Shahgul held her hand. "This will belong to you." Shahgul seduced promising her with more.

Shah Nawaz's haveli took Emaan's breath away. There was so much to take in as Shahgul took the young impressionable girl on a tour. The curtain had the softest touch of feathers like silk that slipped through her fingers like milk. Emaan was led through all the rooms with Shahgul drumming it into her head, that this would be her home and she will be ordering the maids, planning meals and her husband.
Yasmin gawped at the haveli with her jaw dragging on the ground holding her daughter's hand. This was the life she wanted her daughter to live. Light. Energy. Colour. Hope. Happiness. After visiting this shrine this morning, she secretly planned a detour to meet Shahgul. No one in Khagpur knew of the secret meeting.

Standing in the grand lounge below a sixty four light, lavish crystal chandelier, Emaan turned her gold bangles. Her wrists were heavy and it was difficult to get used to weight on her fragile wrists. Since the day she wore the ceremonial bracelets, she admitted Shah Nawaz into her heart and as her husband. Dreams of a grand wedding, dohls, hundreds of guests and her groom arriving on a horse galloped through her mind with her maid Razia exaggerating her excited young mind.
"He will whisk you off your feet."
Her heart pounding with excitement, here she was in Shah Nawaz's home, his haveli. Grand, rich and it would belong to her the day she married him.
"Shah Nawaz has his own haveli, as does my daughter. You will have your own kitchen, maids and chose how you design your bedroom. On that note-"
Shahgul led the way out of the room to the ultimate room where Emaan would create her future.

A magnificent white staircase welcome her with marble steps and white balustrade finished with autumnal brown sandalwood running to the top of the stairs. A thick, velvet wine red carpet with gold criss-cross border ran through the centre of the staircase inviting her to Shah Nawaz's bedroom.

Shahgul led the way with Yasmin holding Emaan's sweaty hand.
"This is Shah Nawaz's bedroom."
It was the sheer size of Shah Nawaz's portrait mounting Sikander that struck Emaan. The portrait bellowed his power, strength and his status high above the rounded bed. The room was a marvel. This was the final room which Shahgul showed Emaan, to demonstrate the new world she would live and rule when she married her son.
The conversation moved onto the seating area, where a semi-circle of rich, thick velvet sofas surrounded a round crystal glass table in the bedroom.
"An honourable Choudhrani's wife is one who knows her husband. A Choudhary has a wandering eye. For a woman to understand her man; is wise. To change him: foolish."
Shahgul configured Emaan's mind to suit Shah Nawaz as Fiza plated crispy freshly fried samosas, with rich red chutney layered with rainbow of salad and dots of juicy pomegranate seeds. The starters would be served in the room and dinner was prepared downstairs.
"Do you know what is even more than foolish?" Shahgul turned to Emaan who sat next to her.
"To leave him for his wandering eye."
Malaikah hid her discontent behind her fork observing her mother make excuses for Shah Nawaz's promiscuous behaviour. One rule for her, one rule for her brother. She rolled her eyes biting into a pomegranate seed that burst into her mouth with sweet juice.
"This luxury does not come cheap. A woman must make sacrifices and know her place. This status and prestige is given to good wives. Wives who appreciate the importance of a Choudhary and to know his needs for a peaceful marriage."
Emaan listened obediently. She respected Shahgul, the woman would be her mother in law and take the place of her mother.
"Courtesans, models, dancers, city girls will come and go in a Choudhary's life. He will always look around for fresh faces, glowing, fair skin and tight bodies, but a wife is his anchor. A wife bears his heirs, who makes his bed and keeps his home warm; she is the queen of Jahanpur. A fleeting night with a city girl is nothing compared to a lifetime with a Choudhary and become the mother of his children."
Yasmin nodded her head in agreement while gobbling a delicious pakora. She asked Fiza who made them before dipping another in chutney and chewed noisily.
"What if he is to marry again?" Asked Malaikah raising her left eyebrow.
"That's his right!" Shahgul leaned forward turning to her daughter with sharp eyes.
"If a woman does not provide him an heir, it's his right to marry again until he has a son who will lead Jahanpur. If a woman loses her appeal and does not maintain her youthfulness, he will choose to marry again. There is plenty of land, wealth to provide his other family."
Shahgul turned to Emaan and held her soft hand in her hands. She lifted her face with her hands under her chin.
"Remember to be wise. Don't think you can change or influence a Choudhary. A wife should not be seen or heard. Remain obedient and in the shadows."
Malaikah sniggered at her mother's hypocritical comments. Shahgul trained her daughter before marriage of how she must take control of her husband, manage him, monitor him and make sure all wealth and bank accounts are in her name. However, when she fell in love with Qasim, she abandoned her family and the rules. Her mother was a strong woman who shouted to be heard and made her way to the front. Today, the advice was for her daughter in law, so she knew her place.
Malaikah scrunched her nose at her mother. She was certain her brother would get bored with a submissive wife, he valued a woman who put up a good fight of words and kept him on his toes.
Once they had swept the last crunch samosa from the plate, the ladies made their way downstairs for a table teemed with a feast. Kinza and Harris played in the dinning room. Emaan scooped Kinza into her lap dotted kisses on her nose and cheeks.
"She's so loveable." Emaan straightened her pink dress.
"Are you marrying my mamoo?" Kinza looked up at Emaan's rosy red cheeks as she smiled.
"Yes, she will be your aunty." Said Malaikah.
"Can you teach us?"
"Of course." Emaan pinched her button nose.
"one, two, fifth, seven, eighton." Kinza miscounted on her fingers surprising Emaan.
"That's wrong." Harris slapped her hand and corrected her.
"Mamoo Shawaj is naughty." Said Kinza scrunching her nose at Emaan.
Malaikah held her laugher.
"Why darling?" Said Malikah. "What did your uncle do?"
"He sent our teacher away. I am so bored. Can you bring her back?" Kinza moaned.
"Which teacher?" Emaan looked at Malikah.
"Their English teacher." Malaikah stood up and reached out for Kinza sweeping her away from Emaan. The girl was talking too much.
"They have an English teacher?" Yasmin interjected.
"Just a woman from the village." Shahgul brushed off the subject and invited mother and daughter to the table. It didn't make sense to Emaan, no one in Jahanpur was educated. Who was the English teacher?

After the meal, Yasmin realised the time and stood up asking for permission. Shahgul stood with Emaan and stopped her at the table.
"Listen puthar, you're smart girl. You know being my son's wife is best for you and so does your mother." Yasmin nod her head.
"Your grandmother is holding onto bygone hatred. I need your loyalty. Can I trust you?"
Emaan shook her head and looked at Shahgul.
"Times are difficult. Speed is of the essence. We have decided to hold Shah Nawaz and your nikah this Saturday."
Emaan's heart dropped to her feet.
"So sudden?"
"Yes, puthar. We must or else I will lose you. This must be secret, and no one needs to know- especially your grandmother. Can you do that for us?"
Emaan didn't like secrets. If she was asked a question, she would answer it truthfully.
"Of course she will." Yasmin stepped between the two. "She knows this is best for her." She glared at her daughter.
"Your grandmother is waiting for the inauguration, it will happen. But the nikah needs to happen first. Then we can have a proper wedding."
Making their way to the oak doors Shahgul ran through the plans for the day.
"This Saturday, you will tell your grandmother you are going to the shrine. You will come to our Bagham Haveli where you will enter a nikah with my Shah Nawaz." Emaan rubbed her sweaty hands on her long black robe.
"You will spend your wedding night at the haveli. In the morning when your wedding is consummated Shah Nawaz will announce the marriage at the panchayat."
Emaan's cheeks burned red and she bowed her head.
"Then, you will be queen of Jahanpur." Shahgul embraced Emaan and kissed her soft, plump cheeks. She was beautiful and obedient and would do well in the haveli.
" You will be good for my son."
Emaan forced a smile. Saturday was a few days away. It would be difficult for Emaan to keep a secret from her grandmother. However, the idea of marrying Shah Nawaz took her breath away.

***

Later that afternoon after deep thought, Jahanzaib searched for Meh'r-Bano and approached her on the stair case. He stopped just two steps below her and turned around.
"Why are you doing this?" He wondered about her intentions for backing him.
Meh'r-Bano turned around and looked down at Jahanzaib's puffy eyes, slumped shoulders with his head titled to the left side. The look of a man who had the weight of the world on his shoulders.
"If I do this, my uncle Shah Nawaz and my cousin Uzayr will become my ultimate enemies."
Jhanazaib was beleaguered with doubts and Meh'r-Bano knew this was her last chance to convince him. She stepped down and held the polished mahogany balustrade.
"I don't hold strong emotions in my heart." Said Meh'r-Bano.
Jahanzaib looked at her and folded his arms.
"Love. Hate. Anger. Grudges. They don't live here anymore. But for some reason, I have never hated anyone more than I hate Shah Nawaz."
Jahanzaib stood up straight. She dropped Shah Nawaz's title. Her eyes widened and her face sharp.
"He is a greedy, selfish, self entitled, privileged, illiterate, toxic male."
Jahanzaib was taken aback by the power of her words, her stance charged with fight, her eyes widened capturing the glare of the chandelier.
"I hate him from the depths of my heart. Why is it, men like him, get everything just because of their bloodline?" She grabbed the bar tighter. "A man who loves himself, spends sinful nights with dancers, and one-night stands with city girls ends up marrying a spiritual angel? How is this fair?"
Her nose screwed tight. "The only reason he is fighting for Jahanpur is to massage his ego. That's all. Don't be afraid of him. With great power comes great responsibility. I'm terrified Jahanpur will be in the hands of an irresponsible man."
Leaving Jahanzaib speechless, Meh'r-Bano swung her dupatta across her chest and made her way to the top of the stairs. Jahanzaib looked across the hallway at the corridor that led to Dilawar-Baksh's bedroom.

Later that evening the haveli quietened down. The extra maid left after an eventful day carrying pocketful of gossip to share with the villagers. Shahgul planned Saturday with due diligence. No one – not even a maid must know.

However, her meticulous plans were about to be thwarted. Dilwar-Baksh returned from his land and rested in his bedroom after a large meal. Jahanzaib marched in the hallway going over his decision. With a heavy heart Jahanzaib made his way to Dilawar-Baksh's door. It was time to make an executive decision and protect his family. Once he was leader of Jahanpur, he could send his siblings back to the city, safe and live in one place forever. A dream! His mother would be angry, but he had to take this step.
He rapped his knuckles on the door and took a deep breath.
"Who is it?"
Jahanzaib placed his hand on the cold, copper door handle and tightened his hand. His heart pounding against his ribcage.
"Who is it?"
The door creaked as he opened the door. The man struck his mother. He imprisoned his family. But it was time to take a step for the greater good and submit to him. His family's happiness was paramount.
"Come in!" Dilawar-Baksh leaned forward from his armchair pleased to see Jahanzaib.
"What brings you here, puthar?" His tone soft and inviting.
Tonight, Jahanzaib would make a pact with the man who made his family's life hell. It was a dreadful predicament, but the only way out of Jahanpur.

The race for Jahanpur was tense. Who would take Jahanpur? Time would tell.

***

Author's note:

So who do you think will win the race? 

Jahanzaib?

Shah Nawaz?

Game is on. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

299K 14.8K 17
Mehmel khan, a girl abandoned by her parents craves love but each time she gets disappointed until someone enters her life and gave her all the love...
304K 16.5K 29
~ Dill k kissay kahan nahi hotay Han wo sabse bayaan nahi hotay ~ ********* She is innocent. He is rude. She is shy. He is introvert. S...
376K 15.2K 52
"She is not my wife... Do you hear me? She will never be my wife...she is just my dead wife's sister for me... Nothing else...," -Mustafa Hamad Makhd...
13.7K 763 31
"She fell first, He fell harder❤️" I am going to write the emotional and beautiful love story on Farjaad and Umeed which make you fall in love with t...