Wings of fire-Fire in Ice

By Keztnah_1

Winter as a dragonet, never thought he could be more than a prince. As dragons had endured more than twenty y... More

Prologue
Chapter 1. A beginning of a Prince
Chapter 2. The Hunter and The Prey
Chapter 3. Making a friend
Chapter 4. Captain of the icewings
Chapter 6. Training and Choices of The Past
Chapter 7. The Traitor in Kingdoms
Chapter 8. Meet the 47th Legion
Chapter 9. Memories of Dearest Friends
Chapter 10. The First Battle from an Old Rival
Chapter 11. Confronting the Aftermath
Chapter 12. Revengence
Chapter 13. The Battle for Hope

Chapter 5. Gem Beach

77 6 0
By Keztnah_1

I'm... a captain now... he thought to himself as he exited the palace into the kingdom itself. The thought of being one never came to him until now and been thinking about it non-stop after his queen confirmed it. He is Captain winter.

By now when he left the sun was halfway gone from the kingdom. With students and dragons returning home from their hard work for today, animals went back into hiding, and lights started appearing from the houses nearby as he passed them down the same street he bumped into that icewing.

Including a tree, an animus-touch tree. Full of spectacular glowing snow globes in the dark from an animus from long ago that he has forgotten who. Mostly because he had other things to worry about. It's been years since icewings had any animus dragons, no centuries back when nightwings and icewings were still allies, friends even where they held parties in the icewing palace walls, and laughter can be heard from these parts of the kingdom. But now it seems that it was simply a lie, a twisted myth, a forgotten legend. Everyone except that dragoness who enchanted that tree saw hope and peace In those globes. The light in the darkness.

And so did he and his brother. Which winter has both in his room... ever since hailstorm left.

Winter after leaving, he wanted to have a midnight scroll, a small walk to reflect what happened today. He failed the test, went through his punishment again, becoming friends with someone unexpected, then leaving his friend Squall. Then most surprising of them all, he became a captain, and knowing justice was kinda served to that awful princess. All because he did something good instead of doing something he was supposed to do.

Being someone else, being the thing that his parents wanted him to be, like his father always told him. Be strong. Be vigilant. Strike first...

Those were the words from his father that always said to him when he did something wrong, making the first move to his opponent, attacking, defending himself from the barrage of punches that made him stay on the ground. Reminding him always to do what he said.

Yet since everything that has happened, he didn't do it, not when he could let lynx fail nor when he let squall hug him, a horrible action to the royal family, a disgrace.

But when he did, winter felt good to not do what his father said, he didn't feel bad for himself that he lost and failed. He felt... happy, joy... emotions that not that many icewings get to feel, with the passing days they were always becoming mean and cold because of society. Except for lynx...

Winter thought more and more, passing by some lamps, a few corners of buildings, and passing some dragons giving him looks who afterward whispered to themselves when he's gone. It was either 'How did he survive?' or 'It's that dragonet!' Those voices said where he could hear the soft echoes from the quiet street around him, followed with even more questions, and a few elderly muttered some insults that he couldn't make out.

He was fine though, he wasn't bothered about those remarks, because sometimes, or most of the time in bed. He also asked those same questions to himself. How did he survive five years ago? So long ago all he had was so little time. Was it pure luck? Or was it his survival skills that saved him? But none of his questions could satisfy him, and those that kept spinning every time he thought about it.

And he could never have an answer, no matter how he tried. Because of that line that his parent gave him, being the reason why he lost the chance to say goodbye to someone he love, with emotions, stopped him from going to his brother for the last time... before he was gone...

The sun was going down almost after a while of walking around, he decided to go to his room again, but then a thought came out of nowhere. A place that he had almost forgotten because he hadn't been in a long time. And today he decided he'll go, for old time's sake.

I'm talking about a long time ago, in a specific part of a beach near the outskirts of the kingdom. Where he and his brother always go and hide from all the things that wanted to make him cry, the training, parents, all of it, except for his brother. It was a beach that takes only a few minutes to walk or fly to that was discovered by them by accident when they went exploring one day before the sun went down.

Nobody else knows about it, only he and his brother, and that's all he wanted so long ago.

It was a special place for all to themselves, where the cliffs hovered above them when they were playing around on the beach until they can see the sunset on the horizon making the snow glimmer on the snowy shore, as you could hear the waves crash onto the shores where winter would play with the crystal-like foams as it washes down back to the sea. And around the weird rocks and boulders that are big as the recordings of the legend of darkstalker that are laying around.

This is a place he called, Gem beach.

A simple yet perfect name that he and his brother had fun making together. Naming it gem beach because of the things they see around them. On the gorgeous white beach.

Where they see the white snow looks like gems washed up onshore and the cliff sides look like it was made out of crystals when the sun hits it right... Don't look at him like that, it was classic childish imagination. What do you expect? Also, it was fun making it and brings back a few happy nostalgic memories of remembering it. Like the time they argued about the name, why not emerald beach or diamond beach? But emeralds aren't white and technically diamond either. Yet they had fun... Happy memories, turn to sad memories...

With his dearest brother...

In Gem beach.

So many memories, so much joy, as well as pain to remember, so hard to go back to the past, where someone you love was once there. Yet match with everything that has happened, winter thinks it's a good time to go back. Back before when it started.

Well, that's what he did, he finally went here after all these times. He felt like it was time to finally visit, and It wasn't hard to find the beach but you needed good eyesight if you want to spot the beach blended with the cliff and the snow, including when it's getting dark.

Winter landed on the soft snow mixed with some rocky sand, not the typical ones but feels the same. He always likes snow, soft, cold, refreshing on his beat-up scales after rough training, and delicious if you made it into ice cream... Yum. But only with the fresh snow not with the ones with dirt ew no!

While sand on the other hand is the total opposite, It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere in his scales no matter how long you spend trying to get them out. And personally hates sand no matter where it comes from, and if anyone disagrees they won't be seeing the moons tonight. Or another day

Winter wandered around the beach, seeing and remembering everything before the blizzard. The Boulder that he used to climb on that used to be a challenge, the same cliff that he and his brother always stare at when glancing up to the sky.

I missed you brother, I wish you were here...

He sadly wished before sitting down on the soft snow, now only he was staring at the night sky.

Maybe I'm not ready for being a captain... He doubted himself thinking what did he had just done in the palace Maybe I'm not ready to lead yet... oh winter why did you do that?

He closed his eyes.

It's not like you have been the best dragon to help lead soldiers risking their lives. You're always been the failure, why did I do that-!

But before he could finish his thoughts, something landed behind him on the snowmaking a crunch sound, something big like a dragon... with a very cheeky smile.

"HELLO THERE!" Lynx shouted, smiling with a cheeky, mischief grin on her face, as she saw him freak out, being very amused. As winter fell onto the soft snow eyes wide open. HOLY OF MOONS BY THE GREAT ICE DRAGON'S MOTHER... "Oh... it's you," Winter said with a surprised face, not expecting someone to be here but calmed down. Taking a sigh of relief realising it was her.

His friend lynx.

"Haha! I still got it!" she laughed, winter look away in embarrassment.

"Hmhhmm... wait, how did you find me lynx?" Winter realises, "I thought no one knows about this place and why are you here at this time at night...?"

"Well, I miiiight of followed you here, because I just heard that you came back..." She said with an enthusiastic tone. "And I wanted to thank you properly this time... also THIS place is AMAZING! How come I never heard or even seen this place when I'm flying I mean three moons!!" She said trying to brighten up the mood.

"I-" "Lynx..." winter interrupted.

"I know why you followed me... and I know you're sad that I had to suffer, but it was my choice, and... you really deserve it..." He stared at her, making her face slowly turn blue while she sighed, facing the truth.

"I just wish... that I could have done something..." She sat down next to him, her face became gloomy. "We all do lynx, but some never got the chance..."

And after that last sentence, it became silent. Lynx took a moment to actually enjoy the beach in that silence, hearing the soft waves hitting the shore, the wind blowing above them whistling in the night, and she could see the stars twinkle with the moon shining its light behind them past the cliffs. Which was rare for her, the ice kingdom has barely had many places to see with all the clouds above it every day. But winter was hugging himself tightly, daring to say a word, so winter did.

Both of them couldn't, it was very awkward but very peaceful in all the tension in the air. But winter needs someone to talk to, someone who isn't grumpy or being a jerk every time he breathes, especially after everything.

"So umm, what have you been doing in the past days when I'm gone?" He asked lynx, "like anything interesting? Or weird... sorry it's just I don't know what to say, you know because I just started having friends for the first time..." he looked away, but lynx gave him a reassuring face.

"I'm doing fine... I can understand why you have no friends because you're a prince, icewings mostly despise princes because of recent acts from other princes. Like a royal, no offense-"

"None taken"

"-But it's just like my friend princess snowfall-" winter froze for a second, he had forgotten about her and his bratty cousin is friends after everything that has happened. But he guesses there's a reason why they are so he won't question it.

"-I mean she didn't have any friends until I came along and introduced her to my other not so warmly welcomed friends, and I can get why." Lynx chuckled remembering the time her friends and snowfall to get along, especially with her attitude. But eventually, she was welcomed and soon became popular among the dragons, except for some.

"And... I did get put to a higher ranking in the second circle, but it feels like I don't belong there..." she said coldly, this time not a pun, "maybe because I didn't catch it, or maybe because I let you down and didn't tell anyone in time..."

"I have heard... but you do belong there in my eyes lynx." He smiled. "Standing up to a princess wow, you must have big guts to confront her. You with your silly puns" He said, she smiled at the reference as the waves crashed onto the shores.

"Aww, thanks." She smiled.

"Okay enough about me, what did you do? And why are you here out of all places" She stopped and looked around the beach, not knowing the name of this most spectacular beach she had ever seen. "I mean you couldn't just stand around all day when you just returned from the blizzard, and also in the blizzard, and if so you did not skip leg day am I right?" She joked.

"Haha... I... I-" he stuttered, as he stopped laughing, remembering why he came here in the first place. Snapping him back to reality, from this small joke space. He's captain of a legion, and he doesn't know how to lead.

"I came here to... reflect, basically everything that has happened in the past week," Winter said looking down, trying to avoid what truly made him come here. "Oh... I can see why" her smile faded away, "but is there any way I can help? Or something else "

"Well I made a friend in the blizzard actually, in a very small cave... and his name is Squall." He said, turning to her from the sea that reflected the twinkling stars.

"Squall... I do not know him, is he like hunting when the blizzard started or in a rank that I haven't been in because I know everyone in every rank I've been in" She said, confused. Well, that is true...

"No, I don't think I should say anything about him, of because personal things" Winter answered, turning back to the see

"That's okay, but I would like to meet this mysterious squall if I could ever meet him."

"And one more thing... lynx" Winter mumbled, arguing to himself about telling her. "Yeah, and what is that?"

"I may or may not have become a... I-" Winter stuttered.

"-I... b-became a captain of a legion." He quickly said, "You became what?!" Her eyes shot at him after that response coming out of nowhere, thinking she misunderstood what he just said. "I became a captain... of a legion..."

"Pffahsfwhaa?" Her eyes lit up, mouth wide opened in shock, "Sorry for the strange sound coming from my throat but, congratulations!! You must be proud," she celebrated with a wide warm smile towards him. He wishes it would.

"I... No, not really..." he mumbled." What does it mean not really? Becoming a captain is a huge thing for someone like you, and could really boost your rank if you can lead your legion." She explained as some crabs walked sideways nearby as they talked.

Look at those crabs walking, not as cool as scavengers but still cool.

"Lynx please listen to me-" "I mean you must have some experience to lead something that big because you survived the blizzard twice-"

"Lynx please stop-" Winter whispered, trying to butt in, but she kept on talking "-and taking on that role must be challenging" she laughed.

"Lynx the thing is..." "you know how to lead, right?" She continued, oblivious to what was happening before her eyes.

"Lynx please i... no... no I do not..." closing his eyes in fear, then there was a pause, "Then why the great ice dragon's teeth would you become one?!" She exclaimed shocked, "You-"

"I DON'T KNOW!" He yelled startling lynx.

"I wanted to be something that all my life I couldn't because I was a failure, I was a prince and wanted to do something completely opposite by saving others no matter where they came from, and when the option came up I knew that was my chance that I couldn't get twice. And that's why I'm here lynx! To reflect on what I'm going to do, and also mourn the loss of my brother...!"

"And I wanted to make my father proud, lynx!" He explained, making tears roll down his cheeks, "I only wanted... to make my father proud..."

After looking up again he realised what he had done and started to relax.

"I'm sorry, lynx... it's just I'm... never good with emotions..." looking back down "I'm... sorry"

"..."

She just stared at him, shocked as she thought what he said, the failure, the things she didn't get to see, was that... all true? "...w-wow, winter... if I was in your place, I would do the same... is this how you were... treated all the time?" Asking in concern about the state he is in.

"Pretty much lynx," he said, trying to cool himself down. And no pun intended, in this type of situation. "I'm so sorry winter, I didn't know dragons or anyone could be treated like this"

"It's okay but serious lynx, how am I going to help my legion? I'm just a prince, not a leader"

She thought for a moment, it was true. This isn't some magical story with destiny guiding them or fate leading them, it was them, and it's their choice.

Like the time lynx wore that really cute outfit as a little dragonet that was adorable! But now it's not a good time.

She did some thinking, then got an idea. "You could train with me," she said, smiling.

"With you?" He looked up "Yeah with me, after training so you can learn more than just fighting in battle"

"But you're the same age as me and go to different schools because of the gender rule male and female. So how can we learn more than the dragons that gave us that knowledge?"

"Well, that doesn't stop us from doing it, am I right, winter?" Winter raises a claw but puts it down as it does make sense. No one is stopping them from learning more things, so why stop? See this is why lynx is a good friend, just like Squall.

"You are right," he said standing up with her, wiping his tears with his paws. Smiling at her with determination once again.

"Am I never wrong? Also, we girls get to learn math, science, English, physical education, history, geography, chemistry, biology, art, physics, economics, psychology, dancing for some reason, accounting, and algebra. All very, very fun and dull" She said all of them as quickly as possible while standing up.

Winter blinked a few times, thinking he mistakenly heard her. "Wha-?"

"Yep, every single one," she nodded her head.

"...Excuse me but I didn't get a few of them. Also, Whaaaaattt...?!" Winter asked, eyes wide. "Yeah we get to do a lot of stuff, but I'm sure you also get as much as us... right?" She asked.

"...How unfair are our schools..." Winter muttered, shocked to hear the females get to do all these things in school. I mean three moons, I would be happy if I could draw on a blank piece of paper with a piece of charcoal! Or even fight my imaginary friend with a stick like in that story... Wow, I am depressed.

"Well, I honestly don't know. I never get to see what boys do in their schools, so you can tell me since I have no idea" She responded, looking at him with interest, what subjects do boys do in schools?

Flashback.

"Okay class, calm down" The teacher ordered them as he wrote something on the board, in the male-only school of the ice kingdom. Where winter's class started to settle down from whatever they're doing, bringing all the boys their attention to the teacher "Today we're learning more about fighting, combat, and hunting... and that's pretty much it." Okay, that wasn't all that winter's teacher said, but you get the point. Because of the war, costing so many lives, and fewer soldiers to fight in it.

So it's reasonable why the leaders did this because males make 56% of the kingdom and the earlier the males can fight the sooner the battles will be over, so it should be okay. But I mean by three moons and the great ice dragon yeah that is still very unfair. Because if one of them wanted to be a superior of an army like a captain like him or a commander, they have no chance compared to them with their superior skills.

Then how did he get here? Oh, right the queen.

"Soo, do you get to do math? English? Oh, wait no I hate writing forget that-" Lynx waited for a response.

"...let's just say as much as that toy that we all used to play with as dragonets..."

"...oookay," She paused realising how much work they have to do "-We have things to improve, but now let's fight to see how skilled you are on this beach, right now"

Winter gave her a surprising look at her smiling face "What like right now? On this beach when the stars are up?"

"Yeah right now" Lynx nudges his arms with her elbows playfully, "I mean what other places like this?! With this wide-open area, with the stars shining on us and-uh maybe ignore that dead seagull but yeah, right now"

"I mean okay, where do we start?" he asked "Just take a few steps back and we'll start" She answered, "Okay..." He replied, and took many steps back but not too far as well did her.

"Here?" He yelled over the soft wind.

"That will do!" She shouted back "And we'll start when I move... alright?!"

"Yep!"

Ok, I'm going to fight my friend here and show her what can I do, this isn't concerning at all. Just don't hit her and everything is going to be- MOTHER OF MOONS! He shouted in his head, can't believe what's happening in front of him.

Lynx moved at lightning speed as she dash towards him doing zig-zag and other techniques to run way faster than usual on the soft mix with sand-snow, which was almost a blur.

She bolted at him so quickly that he barely had time to put his thoughts together to react, and when she got to him, he wasn't even half-prepared before she started swinging her talons. But just in time, he blocked a few hits from her, but his stance was all over the place, the perfect time to sweep him off his feet.

And lynx did exactly that.

Out of nowhere, for winter as his mind was hurting, trying to process what's going on. She quickly spun around, with her tail a bit high, she slammed her tail at his hind legs making him fall over while slapping his face twice with her wings. And this all happened when he blinked four times before he could even get into a defensive position. Now you can tell she's in the second circle.

Wow, she really is a second circle I mean three moons... I wish I could be like her...

"Hey, why the gloomy face? Just because you failed doesn't mean you can't get better!" She smiled. "R-Really? None of my teachers said so..."

She laughed, "Then they are obviously wrong, and that's why I'm here to help...!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

142 26 16
Separated but not alone. Lost memory but not forgotten. Find the other to be one, If not perish under open sun. First fight the power of the sea, The...
469 10 23
' You Are Not a Curse; You'll Never Be ' _______________________________ Born of Night and Ice, Northstar is an unusual student whose parents are the...
17.2K 745 30
This book is a little outdated and will be getting a rewrite soon! ------------------ Fighting, dragons were always fighting in the Rainforest. Not p...
27.3K 630 16
This story takes place only 10 years after the time of peace began. Hybrids are hunted by all but the Rainwings and the Sandwings. Dragons don't trus...