Wings of fire-Fire in Ice

By Keztnah_1

Winter as a dragonet, never thought he could be more than a prince. As dragons had endured more than twenty y... More

Prologue
Chapter 1. A beginning of a Prince
Chapter 2. The Hunter and The Prey
Chapter 3. Making a friend
Chapter 5. Gem Beach
Chapter 6. Training and Choices of The Past
Chapter 7. The Traitor in Kingdoms
Chapter 8. Meet the 47th Legion
Chapter 9. Memories of Dearest Friends
Chapter 10. The First Battle from an Old Rival
Chapter 11. Confronting the Aftermath
Chapter 12. Revengence
Chapter 13. The Battle for Hope

Chapter 4. Captain of the icewings

79 6 2
By Keztnah_1

The thought of a dragon becoming friends with him feels like a chance to catch an extinct animal. One in a million, yet... he found one, and so enjoyable to be with. Apparently, this was what winter missed after all these times. Having a friend.

After meeting Squall, they introduced themselves and talked about many, many things and found out they had so much in common. Like he loves scrolls, fantasy and adventure theme scrolls and so does winter now, after Squall introduced him to some of the fairies tales he found from the other tribe, he didn't ask how he got them but they are amazing! They are stories that are other than the mighty icewing and how great they are, how they defeated the same evil dragons from other tribes and blah blah blah, but among these stories, there are incredible adventures filled with imagination. With a lot of thought and love put into these that are so interesting, there was one that caught his eye.

The adventure of cons. An amazing, yet simple story.

It's about a leader, a heroic, passionate dragon who, along with his army, races to the edge to fight off challenges while facing the evil dragons. Then fighting what is right and ultimately winning the battle which never gets old. Winter knows this is very cliché for any story with this base, a good dragon defeating the baddies and would bore anyone to death if this kept repeating with eventually the good winning in the end.

But winter loves it, and that's all he cares about, not only the story but the characters that made it. It felt like they were real, not just some non-real dragons whose expressions are overly dramatic like "I'm gonna protect the dragons I love" say-it-out-loud type of stories like queen coral make. (No offense but he really hates those scrolls) and the many force credit it has like the lost princess because the queen made them is just laughable. And Including the ones that everyone agrees that is just horrible to read, behind the queen's back of course.

In the adventure of cons characters, he's talking about how they express themselves, how the author made the characters so likable and real in the scrolls, where fantasy makes it real that could come to life like his favourite character. Not a protagonist, or the antagonist of the story. It was the leader of the group. Someone, he looks up to in his favourite stories.

Prime, that was his name. Not an incredible name, nor a fierce name that brings fear to his enemies eyes, just prime, the leader of the cons, and that was it.

He is so wise all the time, so friendly to others, the way he puts a sentence into words makes him feel calm, and gets so serious when someone gets in trouble and awesome in a battle no matter the cost. And make things look possible even when the enemies had the upper hand. Obviously, the author had a wonderful father to get so much of an inspiration, unlike his.

And that's why he's his favorite, he wants to be like him when he's older, to be him. Or someone like him at least, to do wonderful things, not for power or being superior to others, to just want to make them see that he and they are equal, so dragons can see him as a friendly guy, to help each other when things look uncertain. So he can be loved...

Anyways enough about him, let's talk about what has been happening in the last six days before he has to get back to the palace. The place where he wishes he wasn't a failure.

They had been hanging out, a lot due to the fact there was a giant blizzard hissing outside of their doorstep caves with dangerous trees falling from the sky. It's been very nice and warm thanks to Squall's incredible inventions. Or should I say mind-blowing!

Like the stones, he saw when they first met to make fire before the start of the blizzard, he said it was flint and steel. The straps that hold things for him are just like bags and pouches but can get it way easier. And some sort of armour that could cover your neck, which is impossible for some blacksmiths can't do no matter how they tried! These were things that were so simple, things that made him a genius.

Winter asked how he is so brilliant at making things he could never imagine, and he responded that he has a lot of time in his talons. A lot of time.

Because squall is in the seventh circle and no one cares about them as seventh circles are worthless in the eyes of icewings and royals no matter where they come from. They're just a thing to throw away, a pheasant, but not to winter.

This gave Winter a stab of sympathy for him. Mainly because he also experiences that squall had to endure as well, many feelings like being alone and being depressed because his brother is gone, even though he is a prince.

A prince who should only show pride and no weakness. Just like father said, strike first, show no weakness. Yet he just can't help it now, forgetting those words that repeat in his head for years.

And that improves their relationship even more. But not into love, pff what do you really think that winter and squall are gay with each other? That's a very silly thought how idiotic are you? Despite Squall blushing every time winter made an awful ice joke or being clumsy, probably it's from the heat from the fire. No need to assume...

Because icewing are cold and turn dark blue when they are very hot, you know?

Haha yep, just regular two best friends! Friends till the end, forever and always... friends forever...

And not only that, but he also wanted to work on a story, if you can't tell with the many scrolls he is carrying. But didn't have any ideas to write, and his head can't decide if he wanted to write about it. So he asked winter for help.

Winter did just that in moments, giving him a few ideas like maybe a new world may be, where someone from here went to a new different world. Or a story about a weird animus going to a secret school for all animus to train their magic.

But they settled with a story about scavengers, so maybe dragons would stop eating them and see how cute they are... like seriously, have you seen how their little two legs walk?! It's strange but fascinating, okay see he said it again because they're so cute! Well, some, a few look like they've been through so many wars, do scavengers do wars? They will never know.

So many things and the reason why they did all this is that it's winter last night, the last day before leaving and honestly they both don't want to leave the little friendship they have right now. But... orders are orders from dad, also his reputation, and won't improve if he just left the palace and if so he would be a deserter. He heard stories from other princes who also desert the kingdom, too long or gone missing from the palace, they will be hunted and anyone who assists them. And winter wouldn't want that. Not to his innocent friend who did nothing.

So they made the most of it until it was time to go to sleep.

"Hey... winter?" Squall asked on the other side of the cave, listening to the wind outside, dying down making whistling noises.

In the center of the cave, the fireplace also dies down.

"Yes? Squall" He said badly tilting his head. "I just wanted to say, that you're a good friend winter and I wanted to thank you for being my friend, that no one else wanted to be"

He smiled while saying that line, holding a tear. "...You too, Squall. Thank you for being my friend too" He smiled back.

And a little bit later when the two moons rise high in the night cloudy sky, the fire died out.

~*~*~

The morning came early, and everyone got ready for the day, all refreshed and ready to be trained. Except for one, winter it felt hours every second past last night. Remembering everything at the ice kingdom.

The princess, new friend, the faces of anger and sadness. He stayed up all night wondering what they will think when he returned the second time.

Wondering...

Until the sun came up again, another day another farewell, as he said goodbye to Squall who looked very sad and looked like he was about to cry. Well, he can feel the same thing too and he can tell why he was about to. Imagine your very first friend, where all of his life no one wanted him, where no one even cared about him, then suddenly the only dragon left him.

But winter just smiled and hugged him as he comforted him. "Hey don't cry, it's not like life is going to be over. I could always come back I promise... no matter how long it takes, friend"

Squall froze a bit after the hug, but he hugged back with water in his eyes. No homo or anything but this is the first and only hug he ever gets. And now finally brave enough to say goodbye.

"Thank you... and if you w-want to find me, head west of here until you'll see a giant weird boulder-r..." He shakily said over his shoulders.

He just smiled, "I'll be back Squall, I promise... to the moons... and back..."

And after the last long hug, they finally reared back, and finally, winter took off, with one last wave in the air.

To the moons and back...

________________________________________________________________________________

A few hours passed, it felt like minutes as a thought kept repeating itself, going over chasms, small animals hiding from the beast, and before he knew it... he was home.

It was very quiet when he got there because it's in the afternoon and that's usually when icewings have breaks and everyone is in their homes... wait a minute what day is today? It's Monday?! Darn, he should have known!

It is usually Mondays that are the worst, sometimes Wednesdays, but if they compete with Mondays, they aren't that bad. But still, it's just something about them and it's just he can't put a claw on it.

Oh well, anyway this brings back so many different memories. Some good, some bad, but I'll just tell you the good part. Five years ago on this exact day, winter's return from the blizzard, took him two entire days to get back because his wings were still short and a bit frozen after the blizzard. With him feeding on frozen dead animals that had been viciously killed in the blizzard, and luck with his side.

He could still remember those faces, those voices of gasps when queen glacier did the wall when he got back, obviously not expecting a dragonet to survive with all the surprised faces, whispering to each other saying he survived, even the queen was shocked. And because of that, she put him up a circle, the third circle. This wasn't a big step up for some, it was just something to just put away and keep training.

But for winter it was the proudest moment of his life, his greatest. It was when he set his purpose in life, the only life he's willing to take, avoiding everything else. To make his father proud.

After landing, he walked towards the palace, where he would pass many dragons, but this time they didn't recognise him. The dragons didn't even suspect his disappearance, they were just there to see him.

Winter kept walking though and soon neared the palace gates, where he could hear dragons fighting and blasting their frost breath beyond the walls. A very typical day, unless something unexpected happened.

Then suddenly a dragon appeared, from the other corner of the building, seeing him the second when winter stepped forward. But it was too late, they had already crashed into each other. With both colliding with each other, making them both slide and fall onto the ice kingdom path. He didn't have time to apologise before he began shouting.

"Ow-"

"HEY WATCH WHERE YOU GOING!" the dragon that winter crashed into yelled at him, rubbing his forehead on the ground.

"Sorry I-"

"YOU BETTER BE! THIS ISN'T THE TIME TO WASTE AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT THAT WE CRASH!" He shouted at him.

"But I didn't see you," he said back politely as he could, ignoring his tantrum. Clumsily got up touching the parts that crashed into him which quickly became really sore.

"EXCUSES, luckily I wasn't in a bad mood or else you'll be dead by now" he got straight up, seeing him ignoring the pain that his eyes showed and staring at him in anger. Also getting glares by a passerby, hearing the yelling.

"Well it was an accident, and why are you blaming me?" Winter asked.

"I am an icewing from the first circle! We do not cause accidents or failures!" He growled at him "Especially when there are others who obviously did it like you..."

His glaring intensified trying to make him submit, but winter didn't faze, he didn't even feel like he should back down. He wasn't slightly scared of him either, it was... weird. But he didn't say anything but stood straight, and eventually, the other dragon gave up.

"Fine... I gotta go anyways" and angrily stomped away, grumbling while going where he was just heading before winter crashed into him, then he was gone.

This reminds him the life in the ice kingdom again. Everyone was so mean, so arrogant all the time, and sometimes, so lifeless the dragon here. He almost forgot all about it because of lynx and squall, with both of them so out of the ordinary from everything here. It was weird but felt so right for the first time in years. Something that he encountered other than training and pushing himself for the prize he wanted all his life. Basically being other than perfect, staying in line with the law, helping someone in need, and seeing someone standing to an actual princess... all something he never does that will ruin his rank. But look at him, those dragons are really shaping him huh...

I missed them already... but I will meet them again, I promise them didn't I...? And I am not a promise-breaker...

He promised them, but now he needed to do something else, he needed to speak with his father.

But there's a problem. He couldn't find him anywhere after entering, he wasn't outside, or near the edge of the sea. He wasn't in any of the palace halls, there were a few servants who he met who all had shocked faces upon meeting them. But they all pointed at different places and some didn't even see him today.

Well, there is one place he didn't check yet, He thought to himself. The bedroom.

So he did exactly that and went to check if he was there, otherwise, he's probably out hunting or doing something else like visiting blaze with queen glacier.

He walked as fast as he could in a royal manner and was about to reach his father's room, but before he could, glacier stopped him, he'll just... wait, GLACIER?! QUEEN GLACIER?! Like the queen of the icewing!? What is she doing here?

And more importantly, why is she here?

"Prince winter..." She said formally, making him startled by the sudden appearance of the queen and immediately bowed down "-I can see you're back from the... storm." She said with an elegant voice

"Y-yes I-"

"Please come with me," She said flicking her talon to follow her, not even bothering to let him finish

Okay, the queen is telling me to follow her. This may be good or bad, wait didn't I fight with her daughter a week ago...? ...I may be screwed

Winter started to panic, what if snowfall told her lies and now she's going to punish him personally? But he can't refuse a queen order.

So he reluctantly followed her, to his doom? His fate? His reward he does not know, but for one thing, he is not going to be pushed down anymore.

So he did what he said he did, he followed her until they reached the throne room where two guards are stationed next to the entrance. He always thought the throne room looked spectacular, with all the ice windows, the carve-out ice pillars and so much more that he can't put into detail, and sometimes he'll stare at it for too long...

"Prince winter of the icewing, you are not here to gaze at the mighty castle no matter how dazzling they are." Glacier snapped, snapping winter out of his trance "I'm so sorry your majesty!" Winter quickly apologised to her.

"*Sigh* It's okay, I know that you just... return from your trip." She spoke with a small sad tone at the end while turning around looking at the nearest window. "The reason why you're here is that I wanted to apologise."

Apologise? What did she do? She did nothing to me so far that I can tell and she is always nice to me so why is she apologising?

"For... what is your majesty?" Winter asked

"For my daughter for what she did." She confesses "For what she did to you, and if you wanted to know where I got the information, I got from lynx when I notice she was gloomy when I always do the wall"

"Normally she would be annoying the great ice dragon blood out of my daughter, so no surprise she was keeping a secret, never knew it was this bad..."

Wait, lynx?!

"L-lynx told you?" He stared at her "Yes, she also said you caught that polar bear but don't worry she won't be removed from her spot" She said as she glance outside, seeing her dragons start to train down below. Well, that's a relief, but did she tell-?

"And I already talked with my daughter so you don't have to worry anymore"

Lynx, lynx told her about that? That's... the nicest thing anyone did for me! I guess being good than being superior is paying off, I should thank her later. For her doing something that I can't do for myself He thought happily, letting out a little smile as he thought of his friend, his first friend...

"And to forgive you for the actions, I will give you an option to promote-" She looked back at him. "To a sergeant of a platoon, or a captain leading a legion under a commander..." She said, "Your choice."

"R-really? Am I ready to take such responsibilities to lead?" Winter stuttered, definitely not expecting his queen to promote him. I mean what is even happening now? It felt like this is going by him too fast he can't even keep up, in one moment he was literally in the low of the low, and now he is speaking to the queen! The queen of one of the strongest tribes in the world!

"I mean no offense my-"

"You survived the blizzard twice prince winter" She interrupted him "Two of the most deadly blizzards that I have seen, so you must have a great mind just to survive, and you caught a polar bear that the other seventy-five percent didn't. So yes I think you are" Glacier responded

"T-thank you your majesty, but could I take a moment to... think about this?" Winter said.

"Take all the time you need."

I can't believe this just happened what am I going to do?! If I become a sergeant that wouldn't be so hard... but then I would be doing boring patrols all day. But if I become a captain. I can actually serve my tribe, protect my friends and I can finally make my parents proud...

But I have no knowledge to lead! When have I ever been the leader or even led a team?! But if I can do that then...

I just have to try my best...

"So... Prince winter of the icewings, have you made your choice?" Glacier said in her queenly tone. "Or would you rather be a slave under your parents?"

"I-I-I Want to fight for my dragons, my friends, everything that I didn't have before. I want to be a leader who grows in a story that I want to make possible, and I do something for once in my life that I'm not hiding under someone's shadow... So queen glacier, can I be a captain" He spoke like a leader talking to his soldiers, and his confidence wanted glacier to give him all the support.

As her nephew in her family.

"Well, it's settled then, welcome to the army... Captain, Winter"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 56 13
Queen Scarlet, up to her blood sports, dragon-on-dragon shenanigans, is ready to end her games, dying of boredom, until a newcomer steps into her rin...
551 27 15
Snowflake was a normal icewing dragonet. Blueish-white scales and a disciplined, icy personality, living within his parent's sixth circle. As normal...
31 0 10
Nightwatcher's role used to be just another innocent Nightwing, living by herself and out of the business of the Nightwings. Until when a deep secret...
42.1K 1.2K 33
𝗗𝗶𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗻𝘁... 𝗼𝗿 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗹𝘆? Life in the rainforest is peaceful. The RainWings live in a place where everything is shared. Food is plenti...