Take Us Back || TWDG X OC!

By titcuit

Luna was with her family visiting her aunt, when her father suddenly shoved her back in their truck, and the... More

CAST
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Four

637 15 12
By titcuit

A few days later, it felt as if stealing from the car hadn't helped. 

Everyone was still on edge. Kenny and Lee would do runs into the city, coming back with whatever they could get their hands on, but they were finding less and less each time. Luna had overheard them speaking about the city, how it was 'hell of earth and coming this way."

When the arrived back from Macon for the final time, Clementine and Luna were sitting under the cover of shade, drawing. Or, Clem was. Luna was writing in a notebook that she had found. She wanted to write down everything important, so that she'd remember it. What to look out for with people, how to hide, best places to hide, basically a 'survival guide' as Clem called it.

Katjaa had had a talk with Luna about the dairy, too. And how she shouldn't hurt people unless she absolutely had to. Kenny, of course, thought different. He thought it was good that Luna was ready to defend herself or Duck. Katjaa, however, reminded him she was a kid. Only eight. There was no reason for her to ever have to hurt anyone.

Kenny and Lee smiled at them, before going into Lilly's room inside the motel. They could hear shouting, just like they always did when Kenny and Lee got back. Kenny came storming out of the room a few moments later, Katjaa following. Lee and Carley spoke outside for a moment, before Lee went back into Lilly. 

Luna stood up, and walked over to the door, listening in to Lilly and Lee's conversation.

"What?" Lee was saying. "Who? What do you know?"

"Nothing, yet," Lilly said miserably. "But I just know."

"Lilly, I've seen the count. Everything looks fine."

"Yeah, well, I keep my own, that's the one someone's messing with. I want you to poke around."

Lee was quiet for a moment. "What's there to go on?"

There was a shuffling before Lilly spoke again. "I found this tossed in the garbage. We don't toss equipment out. We fix it. You'd only get rid of a flashlight if you were doing something you shouldn't be."

"Okay. I'll poke around a bit, see what I can found."

"Thanks, Lee. And if you come back with nothing, I'll assume it's you."

Luna felt someone poke her shoulder, and jumped as the door opened.

"A mystery . . . " Duck grinned, and Lee, now, jumped, as he had just left the room.

"Jesus, Duck!" He scolded.

"We heard you talking," Luna grinned up at him. 

"You need to unhear all of that!" Lee started to walk away, but the pair of them followed him.

"Can we help?" Duck asked. 

Lee raised an eyebrow. "What did I just say?"

"You can be the greatest detective, Luna can be Barbra Gordon, and I'll be Dick Grayson, your ward!"

Lee glared at them.

"That's Batgirl and Robin," Luna said.

"I know who it is!" Lee crossed his arms. "Look, fine, you two can help, but don't tell anyone!"

Duck grinned. "Secrecy!"

"What do we do?" Luna asked.

"Uh, I don't know," Lee said. "Look around and let me know if you find anything weird."

"We're on the case!" Duck said, and ran off. 

"Wait for me, Duck!" Luna ran after him. 

He started looking around, sniffing for some reason. 

"Let's split up and look for clues!" He said.

Luna crossed her arms. "That's the wrong thing. It's Batman, not Scooby-Doo."

"Oh, er, right. Let's split up and look for clues! Clem, Croaky!" Duck ran over to Clem, who was still drawing, Croaky the crocodile plush sitting beside her.

Luna looked around the car park. There didn't seem to be anything out of place. Chairs were scattered throughout the area, people sitting on some. Luna then got sidetracked when she saw the hopscotch that Lee had drawn out of chalk on the ground for them, by the right side of the carpark. 

"One! Twwwo!" She laughed as she almost tipped over. "Three four! Fi- ow!"

She tripped, putting her hands out to stop herself from falling, but something sharp had hurt her hand.

"Ow! Ow! Ow!" She sat down, looking at the shard of glass in her hand. "Ow! Ow!"

"What're you doin', Lu?" Lee walked over, crouching in front of her. "Oh."

She held her hand out to him, tears forming in her eyes. "Can you take it out, please? It hurts!"

He looked at it for a moment. "Alright, this is going to sting, okay? Then go to Lilly and she'll get your hand wrapped up."

Luna nodded, and, with a grimace, Lee pulled the shard out of her hand, making her whimper again. Thankfully, it wasn't too large, only about half the size of Lee's finger, but that didn't make it hurt any less.

"There we go," Lee smiled. "Just need to wrap it . . . "

"What?" Luna furrowed her eyebrows. "What is it?"

He looked at the glass, before taking a yellow heavy duty flashlight out, placing the glass in it.

"It fits .. . " He mumbled.

Luna gasped, seeming to forget about her hand as she stood up. "We need to look for more clues!"

Lee stood, too, and looked at the wall behind Luna, which was facing the forest over the fence and across the road. He looked up at a pink 'X' that was drawn on the wall.

"Hey!" Luna furrowed her eyebrows as she looked up at it. "That's chalk. Someone stole my pink chalk!"

"A clue!" Duck appeared at her side. "What do you think it is?"

"It's obviously an 'X' to mark the spot!" Luna said. "It's a sign!"

"Maybe," Lee said thoughtfully. 

"Time to find more clues!"

"No," Lee turned to her. "Get your hand wrapped up, then you can look for more clues."

"Aw, man!" Luna's shoulders slumped. "Will I get a bandage?"

"Probably."

"Yay! My hand will look all cool!"

She ran off to Lilly's room, where she was sitting on her bed, and jumped when Luna walked in.

"Lu? What're you-" She noticed her hand. "I'll get the bandages."

She bandaged up Luna's hand after cleaning and dressing it. 

"Luna!" Duck stuck his head through the doorway. "I found something!"

"Oh!" Luna jumped off the bed where she was sitting as Lilly cleaned her up. "Thank, Lilly, but duty calls!"

"Okay, then."

Luna followed Duck out of the room, and they ran over to Lee.

"Look what I found," Duck pulled a piece of yellow chalk out of his pocket.

"Where?" Luna asked.

"Over by the gate, along with a scuff of it."

"Really?" Lee asked.

"Totally. I was combing the scene for clues-"

"Yeah, Duck, I get it," Lee walked over to the gate, the pair following him.

He crouched down by the dumpsters they had turned into a gate, pushing it open, and seeing a mark of pink chalk on the ground. "There's some, here, too."

"See?" Duck grinned. "I did good, huh?"

"Yeah, Duck, you did. I suppose I should go out and have a look around. You two stay here this time. Seriously."

Their shoulders dropped. "Okay."

Lee went out, looking around, and Luna made her way over to Clem.

"Hey, Clem. Hey, Croaky," She sat down beside them. "How're you?"

Clem looked up at her. "Did Lee tell you, too?"

"Tell me what?"

"That he killed someone before all this," She said.

"Wh-"

"GET ON THE GROUND!"

Someone grabbed Luna by the hair, making her scream as they started pulling her over to her parents, who were on their knees, hands behind their heads, bandits holding guns to their heads.

"Hands on your head!" The one holding Luna yelled, holding the gun to the back of her head. She did as he said, heart pounding in her chest, kneeling beside Duck as Clem kneeled beside her. What the hell was going on?

"YOU DON'T STEAL FROM US!" One of the yelled, pacing in front of the group. "YOU JUST MADE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF YOUR LIVES!"

Lee walked out from behind the RV, hands up.

"Hold it, asshole!" The guy yelled, levelling his gun at Lee.

"Easy," He said. "Why are you doing this? Just leave us the fuck alone!"

"Why? This guy, why? Because we gotta, that's why!"

"What'll it take to reach a deal?"

"About twice as much as you've been giving us!"

"Done! Got it!"

He lowered his gun, but the others stayed firmly on their heads. ". . . Is that so? Well, we ought to hash out some terms, then."

One of the other men looked at him. "I don't like no hash."

"Man, shut up or I'll-"

BANG!

Blood poured from his head as he fell, a hole in his forehead. Katjaa, Kenny, Duck, Clem and Luna ran, while Carley quickly grabbed a fallen gun, shooting two of the three other guys before running out of ammo. Lee managed to shoot him in the leg but not before he let out a whistle as he crawled over the fence. 

Dozens of bandits appeared, yelling and shooting, pushing down the fence as they tried to get in. Clem and Luna were hiding behind a crate as more men ran in, Katjaa holding Duck beside them. They could hear Lee shooting, as Carley and Ben jumped into the RV.

"Help!" Katjaa yelled.

"Katjaa!" Lee looked over to them from his spot behind the RV. "Hang on!"

They heard a growl and a scream. The walkers were here.

Lee shot three down. "Come on! Quickly!"

Luna, still holding Croaky, and Clem ran over to Lee, Clem throwing her arms around his shoulder.

"Clem! Get inside the RV! It's going to be okay, go!"

"Mum! Duck!" Luna yelled, looking at Katjaa and Duck, who were pinned under a walker.

Lee shot it as Kenny ran out of the RV.

"Oh, Christ!" Kenny helped them up. "Come on!"

They climbed into the RV, Luna following.

"Lilly! Come on! Get in the RV!" Lee yelled.

"Screw her!" Kenny said. "Let her stay."

He leaned down, trying to start the engine.

"Lilly!" Lee called. "Last chance! Get in the RV!"

"Got it!" Kenny grinned, and without even looking to see if everyone was in, took off, speeding out of the carepark, and out to the open road, just as Lilly jumped in.

"Jesus, Katjaa, are you okay?" Kenny asked, glancing at Katjaa and Duck, who were splattered with blood, Duck on her lap.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," She said.

"Oh, shit, oh, shit, oh shit!" Ben looked up at Lilly. "I'm sorry."

"Everything's fine, Ben," Carley tried to calm him down.

"Everything's not fine!" Lilly snapped. "We need to figure out who did this. We've just lost everything."

"Well, we're lucky as shit we have this RV!" Kenny said.

"And nobody died," Carley sighed.

"Kat's head is split open!"

"I'm fine!" Kat said shortly.

Luna walked over to stand in between the front seats. "Are you okay, Mom?"

"I'm fine, sweetie, go sit with Clem, maybe you can draw in your book."

"Someone caused this!" Lilly continued. 

"Settle down back there!" Kenny yelled. "The bandits have had our number for weeks!"

"This is different! Somebody was working with them. Whoever it was was slipping them our meds. They didn't get their last package, so they attacked. "

"Calm down back there, that's nuts!"

"Lee found a packet of meds outside the wall."

Lee sighed. "It's true."

"So, Carley," Lilly turned to her. "Is there something you'd like you say?"

Carley scoffed. "Please."

"We have to get it out of you, then."

"Back off!"

"You're in no position to make demands."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, you're just pointing fingers!"

"I didn't just come up with this! I've had my suspicions."

"Probably not the best time, Lilly!" Kenny said.

"If not now, when? Look what just happened!"

"We're all okay, now, though!" Ben said.

"Carley's trustworthy," Lee said. "She's not a traitor, Lilly."

"Thank you, Lee!" Carley rolled her eyes.

"She can fight her own battles," Lilly said. "Unless there's something going on here that implicates you both."

"Don't be ridiculous."

"Like, look," Ben stammered. "Maybe we should vote or something like that."

"Vote?" Lilly scoffed. "What?"

"Just, look, Carley's and stand up gal and maybe this was all just a mistake."

"We need to look at the facts!" Carley yelled. "Let's calm down, we'll eat, and we'll talk about it."

"Yeah."

"Let's just let it go," Lee said. "People make mistakes, and yeah, this is a fucking doozy, but it's not worth it, Lilly."

"Then when do we not forgive?" Lilly questioned. "I mean, seriously, Kenny can kill my dad, Carley can steal from us. Where's the line?"

"No body's stolen anything!" Ben said.

"Was it both of you?"

"What?"

"I've seen you two together! Was it both of you?"

"Look, just let me out. I don't like this. I didn't do it, but I don't like this. I don't like where it's headed."

"Look me in the eyes and tell me you didn't have anything to do with it!"

Carley rolled he eyes. "Lilly, lay off of him."

There was a loud thump from the front of the car.

"Ah, shit!" Kenny cursed.

"What's going on up there?" Lilly questioned.

"I hit something," Kenny said. "We gotta stop."

"Okay, then," Lilly glared at Ben. "We can deal with this now, then."

Kenny pulled the RV over to the side of the road. 

"Is it safe, Kenny?" Lee asked.

He shrugged. "Should be."

"Everyone out!" Lilly ordered. 

"Lilly . . . " Lee warned.

"Out!"

Everyone but Katjaa and Duck climbed out of the car, Clem and Luna standing in the entrance to the RV as Kenny tried to get a trapped walker out from underneath. 

"You know what?" Lilly turned to Carley. "We shouldn't just kick you out. We should hear what everyone has to say."

"Just chill out!" Ben tried.

Carley glared at her. "Yeah, Lilly! You can push Ben around, but you can't push me around!"

Lilly glared right back. "I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm starting to think it was both of you."

"No!" Ben groaned.

"Oh, this dumb, fuck, walker!" Kenny yelled.

Lee looked over at him on his hands and knees at the front of the car. "You okay over there?"

"Yeah, yeah. Son of a bitch."

"Ben," Lilly continued. "You have no other options here."

"Leave him alone!" Carley groaned.

"You can tell me it was Carley, and then everything will be right as rain."

"There's no way it was Carley," Lee said. "It must have been someone else. It could have even been someone sneaking into our camp."

"That's ridiculous," Lilly crossed her arms. "That's what you think?'

"Yes."

"Okay, then. Kenny?"

"I don't know just - fuck! Shut up, will you?" Kenny said.

"Well, your vote counts for you and Katjaa. "

"Why do we have to do all these votes?" Ben exclaimed. "What have I got to do for you all to trust me? I'll do anything! I'll do the watches for a month!"

"Hah. The hell you will."

"I'll get more food. More medicine. Anything, just-"

"You think any of that is good now?"

"Just let me stay, please! God, please!"

"You're pathetic. Look at you."

"Stop panicking!" Lee said. "Seriously, Ben. You need to stop, and just take a breath."

"Do we need any more evidence than this?" Lilly scoffed.

Carley held her hands in a fist. "Fuck evidence. Stop treating him like this!"

"Shut up, Carley! Ugh, I've heard enough out of you! Kenny, what's it gonna be?"

"Just give me a damn minute!" Kenny said.

"Ben. You have until that walker is dealt with to tell me it was her and not YOU!"

"Stop this, you're torturing him!" Carley said.

"No!" Ben croaked. 

"Ben!" Lilly snared.

"Stop!" Carley said.

"This is about trust, and I've never trusted you!"

A loud pop was heard from where Kenny was. "There! I got him!"

Ben shook his head. "Let's just get back in the RV-"

"That's not going to happen!"

"You think you're a tough bitch, don't you?" Carley crossed her arms. "Like nothing can hurt you. But you're just a scared little girl. Get the fuck over it. Take a page from Lee's book and try helping someone for a change."

Kenny stepped on the walker's head. "There!" He walked over, picking up Luna when he saw her. "Now. What the fuck's the problem?"

BANG!

Carley fell to the ground. Lilly stood above her, gun in hand, face absent of emotion.

Lee was the first to react. He pushed Lilly up against the RV, holding her wrist. "Drop it!"

With a shaky breath, she did.

"Holy fuck," Kenny muttered, placing Luna down beside Clem, both of them looking at Carley in shock.

"Kenny?" Katjaa called. "What's going on?"

"Keep Duck away from the window! Holy fuck!" He walked over Carley to stand by Lee. "Get inside. We're leaving this crazy bitch!"

"She couldn't be trusted, Lee. I swear." Lilly tried. "Please."

He let go of her. "You're not coming with us."

"I'll die out here!"

Lee picked up her dropped gun. "I don't care."

"You're a murderer, Lilly!" Kenny said. "We can't take you with us!"

"I'm a murderer? You've had Lee with you this whole time!"

"I don't care what he did before. If we keep you with us, how long 'till you get me?"

"I was trying to protect all of us!" She sobbed. "I don't have anything left!"

"Let's go. Get in, Lee," Kenny walked over to the doorway, where Clem and Luna were standing. "In you get, girls, come on."

Lee took a minute, but soon, he, too, climbed into to RV, Ben following.

Luna could see Lilly's silhouette as they drove away.

"Lee," Katjaa said, voice shaking. "A word, please."

He walked past Clem and Luna, and to the front of the car, where Kenny, Duck and Katjaa where.

"What's up?" He looked at Duck's limp, pale figure in Katjaa's arms. "Is Duck feeling alright?"

Katjaa lifted his shirt a bit, and showed Lee the bite mark on Duck's hip.

He was bit.

"What the fuck?" Lee's eyes widened.

"Happened during the raid," Kenny said, in an even tone. 

"What's the plan? We've never had a bite victim in the group before."

"I'm going to keep an eye on him," Katjaa said. "See what I can do, from a medical perspective."

"We keep the same plan unless something changes," Kenny said. "East."

"Guys . . . " Lee started.

"What else is there to do?" Katjaa snapped. "Anyway, just thought we'd let you know."

"Is important to stay honest with each other," Kenny said.

"If you could tell Clementine, we'd appreciate it."

Lee nodded, and glanced back at Luna and Clem, who looked rather shaken. 

"What about Luna?" He asked. 

Kenny sighed. "They're twins, Lee. I don't know how she'll take it. She's  . . ."

"She's never been without him," Katjaa finished. "Would . . . Would you mind telling her? I can't leave Duck, and Kenny's driving, and I don't -"

"Yeah, Of course," Lee sighed. "I'll tell her."

"Thank you, Lee."

Lee turned, and looked at Clem and Luna, who were both sitting on the bench behind him.

He sat down beside Clem, who lay her head on his chest, him putting his arm over her.

He took a moment. "Duck is bitten."

"What?" Luna questioned.

"He got bit by a walker trying to leave the hotel."

Luna didn't say anything.

"I . . . Don't feel good," Clem said. "What about Carley?"

"There was no time for a burial," Lee said.

"Walkers?"

"Yeah. Lots of them."

Luna didn't like the sick feeling in her stomach. She didn't like how Duck looked. If he'd been bitten, then he'd turn. And if he turned . . . 

No.

Duck's different. He's not going to turn. He's not like the others. They got bit and turned, but Duck won't. Duck'll be okay. He's just a little sick.

She got her notebook, which was thankfully already in the RV with the rest of her things, as Kenny had had her keep her things there incase they needed to run. She got her pencil, and began writing. She glanced over at Duck, writing and drawing about his bite, and how it looked.

She fell asleep after writing. She wanted to make sure she remembered everything. She'd noticed that as people got older, they forgot things. She knew it would probably happen her, too, but she didn't want to forget. 

When she woke up, it was to Clem shaking her awake. They had been driving for a while - it was day, now. Duck, Katjaa, Ben, Kenny and Lee were already outside. A train was blocking the road, meaning they couldn't drive any further. Lee, however, was in the front of the train with Kenny, seemingly trying to get it moving.

Clem and Luna made their way outside, where a man Luna didn't know was. He was old, in a brown, weathered jacket. He smiled as they walked over, handing something out to them.

"Hiya, girls," He smiled. "Name's Chuck. Charles if you're fancy."

Luna glanced at her mother, who smiled. "It's fine, Lu."

"Luna," She introduced herself. "And this is Clementine."

He smiled, handing them candy. "You can have that. I'm going to go scare the socks off that guy over there."

Before they could say anything else, he made his way over to the train, and they heard Lee yelp a moment later, before he made his way over to them.

"You met Chuck," Clem smiled. "He gave us candy! Ben, too!"

"Welcome," Lee said, as Chuck walked over.

"Thank ya."

"You met Kenny?"

"Sure did. Shares my love of the road."

"That's for certain."

Duck suddenly coughed. It was weak, as he sat on his mother's lap, not at all his usual self. He looked worse than he did before.

Chuck crouched in front of her. "I'm awfully sorry your son's not feeling good."

"I appreciate your concern," Katjaa sounded normal, but there was an edge to her voice that Luna didn't like.

"Well, with a little TLC, I'm sure he'll be fit as a fiddle in no time," Chuck stood up. "And I offer y'all anything I got, though it ain't much."

"Thank you. We'd like to do the same."

Kenny suddenly came out of nowhere and stepped in between them. "Why don't we hold off on the, er-"

"Stay with us. We'd like the company."

Kenny and Katjaa glared at each other, before Kenny walked off.

"Is that a guitar?" Luna asked, looking at the guitar Chuck had leaning against the log.

"Sure is," He sat down beside her. "Want to hear somethin'?"

She nodded, and he began to play a soft, slow song as Kenny and Lee got back to work on the train.

"What're you doing here, Chuck?" Luna asked. "On your own?"

"Why not?" He questioned. "Sometimes it better on your own."

She shrugged. "I guess. But I like having people. Like Mom and Dad and . . . . Duck. And Croaky."

"Who's Croaky?"

She pulled the plush out of her back. "Croaky! He's getting a little dirty, though."

"Sure is."

She looked at his guitar. "Do you think you could teach me how to play? I think guitars are awesome."

"Sure. We can-"

"Right!" Kenny walked over. "We ain't got much, but grab what you do have and let's go."

Since her bag was already  packed and beside her, Luna got up with Clem and walked over to the train, the others following behind.

"Want a ride?" Kenny asked Chuck.

"Well, it sounds like you're taking my home."

"So, that's a yes, then?"

"Haven't found anything better for keeping the creepy-crawlies out that that boxcar."

"Dad?" Luna asked, as Chuck climbed into the car.

"Yeah?"

"Is Duck going to be okay?" Luna glanced over at him. "I have a bad feeling-"

"Get in the train, Luna." He said forcefully, and, with a sigh, she climbed in after Clem.

The train started moving a few minutes later, with echoing creaks as the wheels turned. Luna had always found riding trains cool, but when she turned to say something to Duck, she remembered how unwell he was. He was laying in Katjaa's arms, seeming unable to see anything around him, cheeks sunken, skin pale.

Lee joined them shortly after, a dark look upon his face as the train picked up. Luna couldn't look at Duck. If she did, she felt sick. Clem, however, was sitting, just looking at him, back leaning against Luna, who was sitting with her legs dangling out of the edge of the boxcar.

"Must be hard on ya's, eh?" Chuck asked Lee. "Three adults taking car of three kids? No disrespect, son," He added in Ben's direction.

"There were more of us," Lee said.

"Dead get 'em?"

"No."

"Ah, living got 'em."

Duck coughed, and Luna made the mistake of looking over. Blood was splattering out of his mouth, dribbling down his chin.

"Lee," Katjaa said. "Lee, I need you. I need you to go get Kenny right now."

"What-" Lee crouched in front of her.

"Can you clean that off his face, please?" She said, tone steady by with an edge to it. "My hands are full."

Lee nodded, and picked up the tissue from the ground.

"Thank you. Could you just get that off his face, please?" She said. Lee did as she asked. "He's out of time. We need to stop this train."

"Okay."

"Please."

Lee made his way out of the boxcar and over to the front, where Kenny was.

"Mom," Luna whispered, shuffling over to her. "Is Duck . . . "

Katjaa smiled softly at her, but it didn't meet her eyes. "It'll be okay, Lu. We're just . . . going to let Ducky have a rest . . . "

Luna nodded. 

The train stopped a few moment later, and Katjaa climbed out, laying Duck down on thr ground of the cart. His breathing was ragged, now. Chest moving up and down at an uneaven rate with his breaths.

Lee and Kenny walked over, Lee's cheek busted open, now.

"Kenny I  . . . I think it's time," Katjaa said quietly.

Kenny's face fell. Luna'd never seen him so upset. 

"The boy's been bit," Kenny said. "In case you can't tell."

Chuck nodded from where he was leaning against the train.

"What do you need?" Lee asked.

"I . . . " Kenny tried. "I . . . "

"Katjaa?"

"It's time to . . . Oh, this is not possible," She whimpered.

"What're we going to do?" Kenny asked, voice breaking.

"We can't allow him to become one of those things."

"But Mom, what if - " Luna whimpered. "What if he doesn't? I mean, it's Duck. Duck's not gonna . . . "

She smiled at her, though it was more sympathetic than anything. "Luna, I love you and your brother more than life itself. I need you and your father to hear me. Kenny, what you're saying? That he may not turn? It's foolish."

"But-" Kenny started.

"No," Katjaa stood straighter. 

"There's . . . Come on, Kat!"

"If you think of one, let me know."

"Isn't there some sort of pill, or something we can just give him."

"Stop it."

"He can just drift off to sleep, right? I mean, Jesus, hon, this is our son!"

"I know! But we know it's here," Katjaa pointed to her skull. "Or nothing."

"Well . . . fuck! just, who, then? You want me to?"

"You don't have to."

"I'll do it."

"No! You don't have to."

"Katjaa - fuck! I . . . I can't . . . I can do this!"

"You can't. I love you, Ken, but . . . this is beyond you."

"I'll do it," Lee said.

"No," Katjaa shook her head. "It should be a parent."

"No parent should have to do something like this."

"Lee's right," Kenny said. "We can say our goodbyes and . . . just let that be it."

"I don't know . . . Lee," Katjaa looked at him. "You'd be doing this family a great service. Why don't we take him into the forest, so Clementine and Luna don't have to see."

"Yeah," Kenny whispered.

"Give us a moment," Katjaa said to Lee. "To say goodbye."

"Of course," Lee said.

Katjaa turned to Luna. "Say goodbye, Luna."

"I wanna go with you," She said. "I don't wanna-"

"Luna, sweetheart," Katjaa put a hand on her shoulder. "Say goodbye."

Luna looked down at Duck's limp body, taking in shallow breaths. How do you say goodbye? Her mind couldn't fathom a life without Duck. He wasn't going to die. He'd come back right as rain. Yet, she knew that wasn't true, no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't get reality to set it.

"Goodbye, Duck," She said, giving him one last hug. "I'll . . . I'll miss you."

He didn't seem to hear of feel her.

"Alright," Katjaa picked him up. "Let's go."

Katjaa, Duck and Kenny walked into the forest. Duck's head on his mother's shoulder, unable to lift it to see Luna.

"What's happening?" Clem asked.

Lee crouched down in front of her and Luna. "Duck is dying."

Clem nodded. "I know. What are you doing?"

"I'm going to make sure he's okay."

"But how? He's bitten."

"By making sure he doesn't come back."

"Oh."

"You look after Luna, okay?" Lee put a hand on both of their shoulders. "She could use a friend."

Luna nodded. She didn't want to speak. She didn't see why she should.

"Listen, Clem, Luna. Things are gonna be-"

BANG!

"NOOO!"

A gunshot rang through the forest, scaring away birds, before Kenny's yell.

"Ben! Take Clementine and Luna into the train," Lee looked at them. "Go! It'll be fine!"

And he ran into the forest after Katjaa and Kenny.

Ben got Luna and Clem into the train, Chuck following, before they heard a second gunshot.

A second?

A few minuntes later, Kenny walked back, not looking at Luna, Lee following.

"Where's mom?" Luna asked Lee, and he climbed into the train and sat in between her and Clem.

Lee sighed, struggling to find the words. "She's . . . she's gone, Lu."

She furrowed her eyebrows. "But, I thought it was just Duck . . . Mom-"

Lee nodded. "I'm sorry, Sweet pea."

Clementine looked down at the ground moving below their feet, before grabbing Croaky from Luna's bag.

"Here, Lu," She handed him to her.

She smiled lightly, and took him, holding him tight to her chest.

Duck and Mom were gone.

 *     *     * 

Luna felt horrible twenty minutes later. 

She sat with Clementine where Lee had left them. Luna was officially older than Duck by five minutes. Older than Duck would ever be, now. 

She and Clementine didn't talk much. Clem knew she was in pain. Luna enjoyed having Clem there with her. 

But Chuck had made everything worse. He said that 'what happened to Duck' would happen to the two of them. Luna didn't want to loose anyone else. She couldn't. She had to keep everyone alive. But if she was bit . . . or Clem . . . 

"You two okay?" Lee asked. 

They shook their heads.

"Is it because of what happened?"

They nodded.

"But also . . . Chuck said that what happened to Duck," Clem started. "Would happen to us."

" What? The fuck he did!"

"That's a bad language word," Luna said. 

"Sorry. I'm going to go talk some sense into him."

"Don't be mad," Clem said.

Lee got up, and left the boxcar. 

"We'll be okay," Luna said. "We just have to stick together."

"Yeah," Clem sighed sadly. "We'll make sure we look out for each other. And the others."

Luna nodded.

A few minutes later, Lee came back and sat in between them again.

"Did you talk to him?" Clem asked.

"Yeah."

"What did he say?"

"Well," Lee sighed. "He explained himself. Made a few good points. Look, I'm not going to let anything hurt either of you. But we have to take precautions."

"Yeah, okay," Clem said. "That makes sense."

"Don't worry, sweet heart."

"So, what should we do?" Luna asked.

"Well, we've got to figure out a plan for when we reach Savanah, teach you both how to protect yourself, and, uh, tidy up a little, so neither of you can get grabbed so easily."

"I'd like that," Luna said.

"Good," Lee stood up. "You both need to know how to protect yourself."

"Like hiding or running away?" Clem asked. 

"We're great at that," Luna said, as they both stood up. 

Lee pulled his gun out. "I mean with one of these. First - don't be afraid of it. It's just a thing. Take it. But know where your finger is all the time. And only put it one the trigger if your want to hurt somebody."

He handed it to Clem.

"Okay." She took it. "Okay."

"See? It's not scary."

"it's heavy."

"You'll get stronger. To aim, you look right down the top. Through that notch. Line up the sight at the end with your target," Lee held Clem's shoulders to help her aim, fixing her stance and arms. 

"Is there anything else I should know?"

"Squeeze the trigger steadily. Don't give it a yank or pull."

"Steady. I can do that."

"Everytime. It'll be tough, but if you remember that, you'll be fine, and always hit your target."

"Okay," Clem took a breath. "I'm ready."

Lee got Luna to stand behind him and Clem as she aimed at a bottle on a box. He covered her ears.

"Alright. Don't lock your elbows. Okay. Let's take the shot. Squeeze the trigger smoothly and I'll cover your ears. Nice and easy."

"Nice and easy."

BANG!

"Eck!"

"You okay?" Lee asked.

"My hands hurt." Clem said. "I don't like this."

"Let's stick with it, okay?"

"Do I have to?"

"Yeah, you do."

Clem aimed again, Lee holding back her hair and covering her ears.

"Steady now . . . almost got it . . . "

BANG!

"I got it!" Clem smiled. 

"Excellent! Good shot. Luna, come on, then Clementine can try again."

Clem handed the gun to Luna, taking Croaky from her.

"It is heavy," Luna said. "Are you sure it's okay with dad if I do this?"

Something flashed over Lee's face, though she wasn't sure what. 

"Your dad's . . . Well, when we get to Savanah, it'll be good for you to know this stuff. Just in case."

"Okay," Luna aimed, Lee covering her ears.

"A little higher," He said. "Look down the notch . . . and . . . "

BANG!

"Good shot!" Clem smiled.

"Good job, Lu," Lee grinned. "Nice."

They took it in turns for the next few minutes until Lee felt they had learnt it well enough.

"We did it!" Clem smiled.

Luna furrowed her eyebrows. "They're not walkers, though."

"No," Lee said. "Far from it. But you know how these things work now. We'll graduate you both to walkers some day."

"Okay!" Luna smiled.

"I feel good," Clem said. 

"Not so scary, huh?" Lee took the gun back.

"Nuh-huh." Clem sat back down on the edge of the train, Lee and Luna following. "My hands hurt. And my ears have noise in them."

"Yeah, mine too," Luna said. "Like 'eeeeeee'!"

"You'll get used to it," Lee said darkly. "What do you two think of Chuck?"

"I don't know," Clem said.

Luna nodded. "But I do like his guitar. He said he'll teach me how to play."

"He may be okay, though," Lee said. "He's probably had it pretty rough."

Lee noticed something in the bag beside him, and took it out.

"Oh. Well, you girls are probably not going to like this."

"It's not math, is it?" Luna asked. "I hate math."

"Me, too," Clementine said. "Did something happen?"

"No," Lee shook his head. "We need to talk about both of your hair. It's not safe."

"That's not nice!" Clem scolded.

"What?"

"Are you saying it smells?

"No."

"Cause it does. Kinda . . . so does Luna's."

"No it doesn't," Luna grabbed her hair and smelt it. "Oh, it kind of does."

"Do you remember when Danny St John grabbed Luna's hair? And I got mad?" Lee asked.

"Yeah."

"Well, that could happen again," Lee held up the sissors. "And if it's a walker . . . well, we need to trim it."

"Just a trim, right?" Clementine asked.

"I need to trim it short enough that it can't be grabbed."

Luna sighed. "Okay. You can do mine first this time."

She kneeled down as Lee did the same behind her, and began cutting her hair.

"Have you done this before?" Luna asked.

"Nope," Lee said. "Not much of a stylist."

Luna pouted. "I'm going to look like a muppet. And not a cute one."

"But think how much safer you'll be."

"I'd rather be dead," Clem said.

"Shush, now."

He finished a moment later. 

"There we go. All done. I just need to find something to tie this back with."

"Here," Clem gave her a hair tie. "Lilly gave them to me for sleeping."

Lee tied the back of Luna's hair up. She felt it, and it felt much shorter than before.

"Aw, man."

"Your turn, Clem."

A few moments later, Clem had her hair tied and cut. She put her cap back on.

"I'm gonna look like a boy."

"Last thing," Lee pulled out a map. "We need to talk about Savannah. We don't know how bad it'll be when we get there. It could be bad, or it could be totally under control. The thing is, we're a team. And a team needs to have a plan. Aside from everyone else, when this train stops, we should know exactly what we're doing."

"A plan," Clem grinned. "I like it."

"I think we should look for your parents, Clem."

"Really?"

"Yeah," He said. "You need to know if they're okay. And if they're not, well, what happened to them."

"I know they're okay!"

"Yeah, it's best to stay positive."

"That's what dad always says."

"So where do they stay?" Luna asked, looking at the map.

"They always stay in the same place when we go there," Clem said. "It's, em . . . hmm  . . . "

"Hey, it's okay," Lee said. "We'll work it out. Have you ever been there?"

"Yeah. Once."

"Have a look at the map. Maybe it'll jog your memory."

"They've got really tasty desserts!" She said. "It's M something. . . m . . . m . . . Mar . . . "

"Is this is? The Marsh House?"

"Yes! That's it!"

"So, we'll go there?" Luna asked. "Or will I stay back with dad? Or will dad come with us?"

Lee shrugged. "I'm not sure, Lu. We'll have to see how your dad is when we're there. He's . . . a bit of a mess."

"Yeah," Luna sighed.

"Do you think it's a good plan?" Lee asked.

"Yeah!" Clem smiled. "Um, Lee . . . can I tell my parents . . . you know . . . "

"Sure, go ahead," Lee said.

"Yay! This is a really good plan."

"How do you two feel?"

"Good," Clem said. "Better. I'm glad we have a plan."

"Me, too," Luna said. "Even if we don't know if I'm in it or not."

"And you're both good shots," He said. "We should-"

"Ah, shit!" They heard Kenny yell. "Hold on, everybody!"

Lee grabbed both Luna and Clem as the train came to a sudden stop. They climbed out of the train, and saw a large gas truck was hanging from the overpass, covering their track.

"Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! FUCK!" Kenny yelled, looking up at it. 

Everyone was silent for a moment.

"Maybe we could walk," Ben said.

"That's fucking stupid, Ben."

"I was just saying-"

"Hmm!" Chuck climbed off the train, looking up at the gas tank. "I ain't got much experience with y'alls fortitude, but we could probably deal with that. We've got a train."

"That things not full of milk, Charles," Kenny said. "It's full of gas or diesel - somethin' that'll explode."

"You need to get a hold of yourself. This is a crew here."

Kenny glared at him. "This ain't shit.'

"This-"

"Hey!"

They looked up at the overpass to see two people standing there - a white, short man and a black tall woman. The man was smiling, but the woman looked like she would kill you if you looked at her funny.

"You keep screaming like that and you're going to get your face chewed off!" The man continued.

"Are you guys going to be trouble?" The woman asked. "Because we coulda just kept walking. 

"No, we're friendly!" Lee yelled, then glanced at Kenny. "Put your hand down, Ken."

"That's what everyone says."

"We know."

"Hey," The man said. "Let's give these guys a break. You guys got a problem with your train?"

"Yeah." Kenny said. "You're standing right in front of it."

"Dude, it's a wreak. It's not so bad from up here. Send your buddy up to have a look."

Lee and Kenny walked towards the ladder that led to the overpass. 

"If anything goes sideways up there," Kenny said. "We won't let them escape."

Lee nodded, and climbed up the ladder.

"Shh!" Clem whispered. "We're a team, remember? We have to stick together.'

She took Luna's hand and led her ovre to the ladder, which they climbed without anyone noticing.

"What's-" the girl was saying, when she stopped, spotting Clem and Luna.

"Oh, man!" The man grinned. "You guys have kids!"

"What're you two doing up here?" Lee asked.

"Do you guys realised how long it's been since we've seen a kid?" The man continued. "Shit, what's your names?"

"Clementine," Clem smiled. "This is my best friend Luna."

"Oh, so he get's to swear?" Lee raised his eyebrow.

"This is great!" The man continued. "See? Things are looking up!"

"You're not their dad," The woman said. "They down there?"

"It's that obvious?" Lee asked.

"To me."

"And no, Clementine's isn't down there. Luna's is."

"Hm. What's your story?"

"I actually found Clementine all along first day this started. I was incarcerated."

"Sick," The man grinned. "Do you have any prison tats?"

"I, eh, didn't make it that far."

"And everyone down there?" The woman asked, glancing down at Kenny, Ben and Chuck. "They're cool?"

"Kenny just lost his wife and kid," Lee said. 

"Shit," The man sighed. "How long ago?"

"What time is it?"

"Shit, I don't know, maybe four?"

"About two hours ago, then. "

The woman looked down at the ground. "Goddamn . . . "

"We're sorry for anything that's happened you guys," The man said. "That train is awesome, though. "

"That tank is your real problem," The girl said. "We'll help you with it, but if we see anything we don't like, we're moving on down the road. Alone."

Lee smiled. "We appreciate the help."

"You can't just blast through it, I guess," The man suggested. 

"If you could get it down," The woman said. "The rest would be pretty easy."

"We'll start there," Lee crossed his arms.

"We'll come down there, settle in, see if we can help."

They made there way down the ladder, the other three hurrying over as they reached the bottom.

"Guys, this is Omid and Christa," Lee introduced them, and everyone stayed silent.

Omid scratched the back of his head.  "Not big on welcomes."

"Like I said, we could use some good people."

"We just wanted to come down and say your train looked pretty cool. "

"But we're not looking for charity," Christa said quickly.

"We could help you guys, though . . . "

"These guys are joining us," Lee said.

Chuck sighed. "Gotta be careful about newcomers, I say."

"I don't know what it is, but I can tell you two are good people."

"Wanna get started on that tanker?" Omid asked. 

"I'd like to get to know the girls, if you don't mind," Christa said.

Kenny sighed. "And I better show you how to work this train. In case something happens."

Lee rolled his eyes. "Really, Ken?"

"It's probably for the best. Someone might want to take a look at that station over there, too."

"Sounds good," Omid smiled. "Let's do this thing."

Luna sat which Chuck, who began teaching her a few different notes and songs on the guitar. She wrote down what he told her in her notebook, and was actually fairly good at it. Clem and Lee checked out the station, while she continued learning to play the instrument. Kenny wouldn't speak to her. He didn't even look at her. 

She didn't get to learn much, though, as after about ten minutes, Lee and Omid were cutting the gas tank off, and she heard yelling behind her.

"Guys!" Ben yelled from the top of the train. "There's something coming!"

She looked back, to see what must have been thousands of walkers, gurgling and roaring, as they neared them.

"We gotta go!" Ben yelled, jumping into the train.

With a loud bang, the gas tank fell, knocking the ladder off.

"Kenny, go!" Lee yelled.

Kenny did just that, Luna and Clem only just getting onto the train as it began moving.

A fire started under the overpass where the gas had leaked from the tank. Lee jumped down onto the top of the train, Omid following, only to land strangly and fall off it and onto the ground.

"Shit, Omid!" Christa yelled, before jumping off the train to help him.

Luna and Clem made their way into the boxcar, where Omid, Christa, and Lee were lying in a heap.

"Are you hurt?" Clem asked Lee.

"No, we're fine."

"Speak for yourself!" Omid said. "My leg is fucked!"

"We're fine, Clementine, we're fine." Christ stood up. 

The rest of the day seemed to drag on. They were still on the same course for Savannah. Luna filled out different things in her book. Like a list of things Lee said to do to survive, drawings of Lee. Clem even gave her a drawing she'd done of Kenny, Katjaa, Duck and Luna, which she stuck in.

'Now,' She wrote in her messy hand writing. 'All we have to do is find Clem's parents. I hope we do. Clem also drew me this picture of my family, since I have no photos. Dad . . . '

She scribbled out 'Dad'. She was going to write that he hadn't spoken to her, but she didn't want to remember it, so why put it in? He'll be fine tomorrow.

Right?

My sister walked in on me writing this i- AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH we good tho, I got an excuse

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.7K 2.7K 38
The Dead started to walk. Y/N Dixon was found passing out and pursued by walkers and rescued by a man, Kenny, and ended up with a group of survivors...
60.6K 2.7K 77
You were eight when the dead began their reign. It happened in the blink of an eye, and the world around you was unprepared. The walkers simply ascen...
26.8K 1K 29
For a long time, Eden Perkins believed she wouldn't find another human being she would willingly die for - she didn't want to. The past few months of...
74.9K 1.9K 41
You're a lone survivor who's been on your own for the past couple years. Nightmares and scars are constant reminders of why you trust nobody, and hav...