This House

By Stacey_L_Hutchins

More

This House

54 0 0
By Stacey_L_Hutchins

                       Prologue

She couldn't quite put her finger on it. There was something about this house that made her skin crawl. It was beautiful for sure, in all its Victorian splendor. No matter how beautiful she just couldn't seem to shake the feeling of uneasiness. The sooner she sold this house the sooner she could leave and be done with this place once and for all.

She had jumped at the chance to sell  this place as soon as it was up for grabs. There had been plenty of other realtors foaming at the bit for this sale. She trumped them all, or should we say trampled?Whatever the term she won and here she stood stomach in throat wondering if maybe it wasn't such a good thing that she had won.

Making her way up the steps she reaches for the lock key in hand. To her shock the door slowly creaks open a bit before she even touches it. "That's strange", she thinks to her self. She holds her breath in anticipation and reaches out for the door looming before her once more.     She touches the wood grain of the door feeling slightly alleviated upon touching the solid object.

Only moments ago it had seemed intangible.It was as if the solidity of the door had brought her back to reality she begins to feel a little braver and this time pushes forward with purpose. Almost as if she was trying to prove to herself it was only her silly overactive imagination causing all the hair on her skin to stand on end, her heart to beat wildly and her palms to sweat profusely.

The door groans loudly as it opens the remainder of the way revealing the pitch black entry way.Once again she thinks to herself "strange".The light outside was slowly dissipating but from the inside you could easily mistake it for midnight. She felt her way along in the dark looking for some source of light. The heavy smell of dust looming in the air making her nose and throat itch. The longer she searches she begins to have the feeling she is being watched.

She tries brushing it off with a small joke. "Note to self no more scary movies for you!" she voices aloud. Suddenly she remembers the matches laying somewhere in her purse. She fumbles clumsily through her large bag searching through several miscellaneous items until she finally comes across what she is looking for.

She hastily lights the first match beginning to feel claustraphobic in all of this darkness. The match smells of sulfur and fire and it comforts her mildly. As quickly as the match is lit it goes out. She curses and almost in a panic she shakily attempts to light match number two only for it to have the same outcome as number one. The sense of being watched is now so strong she can almost feel it pressing down on her.

Franticly she begins to light match number three.A bone chilling air creeps along her neck and body as she struggles to shed some light on what ever is waiting in the dark. Fear suddenly takes complete hold of her and she desperately wants to exit this place any way she can.

She makes a mad dash toward the front entry way as fast as her feet will carry her. The match in her hand burning out quickly again due to the sudden rush of movement. She can see the light and her freedom of the front door the closer she gets. She's so close now she can taste the crisp autumn air. She is sure whatever it is, is closing in quickly on her heels. Just as she reaches the door to her horror she is thrown back by some unseen force. As she fly's backwards she comes to an abrupt halt as she hits a cold steely wall or barrier.

There is a sickening crunching noise she is sure came from her own body.   All around her She can hear gurgling and evil laughing. She wants badly to scream, to hide anything!! But her body is numb from her mid air flight. All she can do is lay there and whimper. Her labored breath becomes slower and farther in between until darkness consumes her............

                         Intro Ch 1

I've always imagined myself traveling to exotic and foreign places. Small town life was never for me. I was destined for something bigger and better. I had dreams and even if it killed me I would get out of this place.

                    Chapter 1 : Me

Sun shines through the sheer curtains in the bedroom window leaving a warm glow on row after row of untouched boxes. I roll over to prevent the light from penetrating the Darkness behind my closed eyelids. "Just two more hours mom come on!!! It's Saturday!!"

I wake up and realize I must have been hitting that bottle pretty damn hard last night! Who was I talking to? Here I am going on day 3 and I guess I still haven't gotten used to living on my own yet. I still believe buying this old Victorian was one of the best financial decisions I've ever made.

I mean who wants to live at home at 30?! Mom and I needed our own space and this place was definitely too good to be true. I swear the realtor must have bumped his head when he read the listing price off to me on open house day.

A hundred thoughts bombarded my mind upon first glance. Once all the sale mumbo jumbo and jargon was out of the way I packed up and headed to the east side of the city. It isn't exactly foreign or exotic but it' s mine!

I slowly make my way to the bathroom dragging my feet along the plush carpet as a I go. What time is it? I don't even remember getting to my bed. I reach into the medicine cabinet and remove the aspirin bottle. I grab the cup sitting on the counter and fill the cup with shaky hands.

I take two aspirin hoping to quickly cure my splitting headache. Looking at my reflection in the mirror I see the remainder of last nights make-up still in tact. I wash and dry my face before exiting the bathroom.

Entering the living room I try to hard to stifle the laugh building up in my chest. The sight in front of me could only be described as something out of any cheesy comedy/college party movie. To my left passed out in the recliner was my half naked cousin sprawled out limbs every which way possible.

On the long couch on the right was my best friend of several years. She was passed out face down butt sticking up in the air and drooling all over her pillow happily! I smile slyly and run back into the other room and snatch my camera before they make a stir. I snap a picture before shouting. Rise and shine sleeping beauties!!!

Groans and protests are heard from both as I walk Through the living room opening blinds. My cousin throws a pillow at me and I chuckle and dodge it easily. My best friend yells at me and calls me "evil" all the while her voice muffled by the pillow she has her face shoved in.

"Awwww...evil? That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. You're so sweet and I love you too!" I comment sarcastically as I enter the kitchen for some liquid relief. "Looks like were gonna need some coffee to get this day started." Uncomprehendible noises of agreement come from both parties present.Coffee brewing the roasted aroma fills the air and the two zombies Slowly make their way to the kitchen table. "Sooooo what happened last night?"

Continue Reading