𝐃𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝐂𝐚𝐟𝐞

By dracocell

Melodrama in Cameron Highlands. 🍁🍂 𝙁𝙤𝙧 𝙖 𝙩𝙖𝙨𝙩𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝘼𝙪𝙩𝙪𝙢𝙣 𝙞𝙣 𝙈𝙖𝙡𝙖𝙮𝙨𝙞𝙖, 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙣�... More

- Introduction -
- Prologue -
01|Exposure
02| First timer
03| Enemy Energy
04| Encounter
05| When the sea meets the shore.
06| After the downpour
07| Cinnamon skin
08| Stagnant
09| Friends can do this too, right?
11| Light in our shared vision
12| The CEO
13| Cameron Bound
- author's note -

10| Let me hold you

58 19 0
By dracocell

Disclaimer : this chapter contains abusive behaviors/ language.

🍁 

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Zeke sat down, looking up at the bright hot sun glaring back at him. He leaned against his bike embracing this unfamiliar whether as he gulped down a bottle of water. It would be 5 years now since he had been in the heart of the city. This strange yet busy place was his last memory of KL after he left the city once graduation was over. 

 How does one work in such a place?

 He watched the many lives walking around him. Busy, busy, busy is all that he could think. The crazy hot whether and the the heavy traffic made his eyes twitch for a minute.  

Zeke knew then that his decision to move back with his mother was the wisest thing he did. After all making a living enough for them with a perfectly subtle yet exciting life was enough for him. To him, that was fulfilling. 

Zeke smiled as he hopped onto his bike since he had somewhere else to be.  

 🍁  

*Daybreak Cafe

 The soft ray of sunlight made its way through the glass door as it struggled to shine light in due to the heavy downpour. The rainy weather made the past few days in Cameron seem dull and colder than ever. 

Inside the cafe by the warm heater in the lounge area, laid Rachel sitting up sleeping with Henry tucked in her arms as he rested his head on her shoulder. They slept there healing each others wounds by sharing their warmth.

 If they were to wake up and think about how they got to this point right now, they would not have gotten an answer. Both Rachel and Henry did not expect what happened last night. For some reason the line they had as friends seems to be slowly disappearing at that very moment since they felt like their souls needed each other.

Henry slept there with reassuring hope that Rachel was his warmth that day.  

As she slowly opened her eyes, she felt a sharp pain on her neck signaling her that she had been straining her neck for so long. She wanted to flinch immediately but she realized Henry was still fast asleep and she would feel guilty trying to wake him from his peaceful slumber.

 She couldn't help but look at his angelic face. 

How irritating that the person she wants to hate the most is now someone she finds uncontrollably fond of. It felt as if she was in a maze that she could never find a way out of. How beautiful he is that she can never seem to forget anything about this man.

 That's not even the best part.

 He himself is a masterpiece indeed. 

 How utterly mesmerizing are the features on his face. It was almost impossible to look away after getting a glance at him. She could barely look him in the eye for that reason since he is a master at seducing her with his gaze. 

 So now was the chance.

 He was asleep, unaware of her gaze. 

She looked at him closer now, trying her best not to breathe since they were pretty close. But one let to another and curiosity got the best of her, and so her hands traced the edges of his face. How perfect, she thought. But just as she could reach the tip of his cherry pulp lips, he quickly grabbed her finger. 

"Oh I didn't mean to-" She uttered before he sat upright and pulled her into a clutch. 

"You didn't mean to what? Why do you want a taste?" He said with his cocky grin plastered all over his face making him ridiculously attractive even though he had sleepy eyes.

 Rachel looked at him remembering what happened last night.

 🍁

Rachel felt filled. 

 Her cheeks were boiling up. It felt like one of those moments where your friends would intentionally make fun of your feelings for a certain someone in front of them. It felt as pure as it was. She was filled to the brim with her feelings for him. 

Kissing him felt alright today. It felt comforting, although at the back of her mind she was confused because she did not know what they were, she felt comfortable today, with him. He wasn't making out with her like he would usually do, I say this because she is familiar with his body movements, but today he felt static. 

So naturally, she pulled away.

 But to her surprise, instead of pulling her closer he collapsed onto the ground with his hair now covering his eyes.

"Henry!?" She gasped as she held him in her arms.

 He slowly rested on her shoulders gripping her tightly as he gasped for breath. 

"Don't leave me please." He uttered as he held her. 

"I wont alright?" She replied as she patted the back of his head slowly reassuring him that he could rest up peacefully. 

Rachel felt confused. She wanted to ask him a billion questions but she remained silent instead since she felt that he should talk about it when he feels like it. 

As the clock kept ticking and the vanilla candle started fading away, they ended up sleeping on carpet holding each other closer than ever as the downpour in Cameron started getting heavier. 

 🍁 

She shook her head.

 "Are you alright now?" She asked to change the tense air. 

"Yeah, thank you for last night." He said softly patting her head before he laid a peck on her forehead.

 "What are you-" She uttered unable to continue the rest of her sentences. 

"You, you're mine now." He said looking her in the eyes. "The moment you held me like that, you've became mine already." He continued mercilessly. 

Rachel felt a lump in her throat again unable to speak she froze in silence.  

What's this magic man doing ?

 Henry stood up reaching his hand out to help her up, which in response she indeed did so. He looked at her one more time before reaching into her pocket and grabbed her phone.

 "What are you doing with my phone?" She asked trying to grab it back. 

"My number, you don't have it saved yet." He said as he quickly typed on her phone. "Here." He uttered giving her phone back to her. 

"My handsome boyfriend?" She uttered in disgust. 

"Yes." He said with that same grin on his face before walking out the cafe.

 "Wait!" She yelled running after him causing him to stop walking any further.  "What am I to you then?" She said catching her breath,

 Henry smiled as he looked at her. "Call me right now." He uttered. 

"What?"

 "Just do it." He insisted.

 As she called him she watched as he held his phone up to her with the caller id reading "My wife" 

Her eyes were wide open, she felt her heartbeat in her ears and her cheeks were boiling up all over again.

 "I'll see you then." He said as he waved her goodbye and hopped into his car.

 Rachel stood there slapping her face every time a smile started appearing from her lips.

 His wife?

🍁

Zeke sat down in a old run down cafe that looked even more unique with its weird structure. He took a sip on his now cold tea as he waited for someone to arrive. He looked around the cafe restlessly since he felt a little impatient. Looking at the cafe reminded him of his own, and even his mother...and Rachel.

"Oh sir, I'm so sorry ! The traffic here is horrible." Said a voice of a woman who sat down in front of him. 

Josse Redd, a famous journalist for The Local Reads sat down in front of him with her striking bright red coat with floral patterns all over it making her the center of attention in that small atmosphere. Zeke could not stand people like her, she seemed obnoxious and reckless. Zeke preferred to be around subtle people who don't need much, people that could live a simple life, people like Rachel perhaps?

He shook his head at that thought.

 "Here you are." He uttered coldly as he pushed the brown envelope that laid on the wooden table towards her. "This is my last project for your company, I don't plan on working for you guys anymore." He continued coldly.

 Josse grinned as she grabbed the envelope. 

"Well sir, you would be at lost. Since your work is 'hot' in our market today." She continued as she opened the envelope to reveal a few sheets of paper with art work dedicated for the magazines.

 "I've got enough money already." He said as he sipped his tea and stood up. "If that is all, I'm leaving. And remember our contract ends here." He added as he carried his tote bag and proceeded to walk away. 

"The contract ends here, but I can still ask you out sometime right?" Asked the lady in red.

 Zeke waved her goodbye as she smiled at him before he disappeared into the alleys of Kuala Lumpur.

 As he walked away, he turned to his buzzing phone that kept on ringing in his pocket.

 "Noona ( elder sister in korean ) ?"  

 "What you're coming to Cameron?"

🍁

Jeremiah drove down the foggy roads of Brinchang making his way to the cafe. He was going to properly make up with his sister and somehow try to convince Henry to return to his father in Kuala Lumpur. It wasn't his problem but he felt responsible, as a brother and as a friend.

 Jeremiah smiled at the rear view mirror as he looked at the bright red tulips he bought from the morning market for his sister. He was going to apologize like the proper gentlemen he was. The amount of care he has for his sister was even enough to humble himself and let go of all his ego to apologize to his little sister. 

He smiled swiftly as he took a turn to the left.  

🍁 

"Any updates?" Henry asked looking at his secretary who stood there with a tablet on his hand.

 "Yes sir, we have gotten his contact information. I have already emailed you the details. Shall I give him a call?" The man replied swiftly.

 "I'll do it on my own, but thank you for your work." Henry said as he grabbed his car keys and walked out of his room. 

Henry quickly grabbed his phone and dialed up his favorite set of numbers. He then proceeded to place his cellphone at the tip of his ears with a smile plastered all over his face.

 "Hey babe." He said as he heard her pick up the phone.

 🍁

Rachel wiped down the cafe desk. It was a Sunday morning which meant the cafe was going to be closed for the day. She finished her cleaning with lighting up scented candles as she sat down by the cashier. She smiled at her work, how neatly she had dealt with the cafe, she felt proud for a moment. 

 Working in Daybreak really made her think to herself that she just maybe has other hidden talents. When she used to work a nine to five, she was only dedicated to the given job and that was that. There was no way she could have had other possible chances to outshine besides doing it in her writing.

 In Daybreak, she found her true self, all the stress, worries, pain and fear from working in corporate is now all gone. Here she can do what she always wanted to do, connect. Connect with the people and the books. Her experience here has changed so many perspectives of how she view relationships. Here she felt like she wasn't the only one who was giving or trying, she felt filled at least for once. And for the most part she felt at home. 

But she knew at the back of her mind she wanted to still write. I mean she has been a book fanatic ever since she started to learn how to read and write. Writing has been her life up until now so giving up on her dream job felt bitter. However, she was determined to never work in a company like how she did before.

 Then she remembered something, the elderly man she had met at the cafe who claimed to be a publisher. Maybe, just maybe she thought that she could possibly try to write again. However, the anxiety was driving through her skin again as she pulled out the now crumpled piece of tissue paper from her apron. 

Her cold pale fingers started pressing against the numbers she read from the tissue. Her heart was beating faster than ever, the kind of anxiety she felt was unbearable, but she was determined to be brave and step up for herself.

 "Hey, this is Rachel, the writer."

 🍁 

Henry stood in front of the black framed mirror as he adjusted his turtleneck's collar. He then took a black wool vest and wore it to match his white turtleneck. He wasn't shocked at how stunning his reflection looked like. The only thing besides his narcissism was the thought of how gasped Rachel would be when he were to stand in front of her. He laughed at that thought, since he was craving for her reaction.

 He was excited since he was going to properly ask her out today. He had already prepared everything but she insisted that they should go spend time at the lavender farm for the evening. He was a little bummed since he wanted to spend the rest of the night by the tea plantation site as they enjoyed a candlelight dinner, but he felt happy knowing she wanted to do the most simplest things with him and usually that would mean that those little things would mean the most to people like her. 

Henry turned over to his bed looking at the buckwheat flowers he had purchased earlier and smiled. He was ready to properly confess to the only girl he had ever liked before and he was going to do it properly.

 So he picked up his watch and fixed it on his wrist as he turned to his bed once more a familiar number appeared on his phone's screen. Looking at the callers id, he smiled knowing he had been awaiting for this moment for such a long time now. 

"Mr. Henry, I may be the illustrator you are looking for." Said the voice on the other end. 

"I'll send you my details." Henry replied as he smirked. 

"I'll see you soon then." The voice as they hung up. 

Henry smirked again as he placed his jet black phone in his coat and grabbed the flowers as he headed out.

 Got ya.

 🍁

 The day was coming to an end now, the sky was about to get dark and the weather was slightly colder. Thankfully, it did not rain today since it would have made it slightly frustrating to get around Cameron in the cold rain. Today the cafe was pretty empty so Rachel decided to close up.

 She quickly ran down with her hair tie between in her lips as she struggled to tier her hair up whilst running down the stairs. She was already late! Henry was supposed to pick her up at 7.30 and it was already 7. She felt a lump in her throat as she turned the 'open' sign to 'closed'.

 "Ah shit, I'm going to be late!" Rachel said running up the stairs back to her room as she sat down in front of her vanity. 

 Rachel took a cotton pad as she poured out some toner from her bottle. She then proceeded to wipe her pale skin down gently. Then she patted some peppermint moisturiser and whipped on some light cushion foundation to make her face slightly brighter since today was a special day. She finished her look with some soft coral pink lipstick that made the ambiance on her face outshine the lack of sleep on her eyes.

 As she grabbed her purse and proceeded to walk down, she heard the sound of the cafe's  doorbell chime. Immediately, she thought Henry had already arrived to pick her up. 

She ran down the stairs with joy to meet him as she made eye contact with a familiar yet upsetting figure. 

"Jeremiah?" Rachel said as she looked at him standing in front of her with a smug on his face.

🍁

 After a good amount of silence and the whoosing sound of the wind, Rachel finally looked up at her brother who struggled to smile at her. Rachel took a sip from her mug that left a stain of her lipstick on it. She then sighed and looked at her brother once more before she finally spoke. 

"Why are you here." She asked as she stared at the bright red tulips that he placed on the table. 

Jeremiah looked at her, completely caught off guard as he took another sip from his cup. After fidgeting for a while, he then got a grip of himself and looked at her once more.

 "Rachel, I'm sorry." He uttered.

 Rachel gasped. He had never apologized like this before, since they were so close they never really fought, so hearing this caught her off guard. 

"What?" She said not being able to process anything he said.

 "I'm sorry, I'm sorry for being selfish for not listening to your side. I'm sorry for not being there when you needed me the most. I was wrong for doing that, and you're me little sister and I should have stood with you no matter what." He said looking at her before sighing deeply.

 Rachel looked at him as she slowly smiled at him.

 "Please, forgive me?" He uttered before looking at his shoes. 

Rachel nodded as she sipped on her drink.

 "You owe me big time though." She added before slightly chuckling.

 Jeremiah nodded before letting out a small laugh.

🍁

 Henry parked his car in front of the lavender farm waiting for Rachel to meet up with him there since she insisted that she wanted to come on her own. He was feeling slightly fidgety since he wanted to see her so badly.

 He looked towards his car window and watched a familiar silhouette standing in front of the farm. He smiled and walked out of his car with his flowers in his hand. Walking towards her made his adrenaline shoot up all over again, his palms were getting sweaty and his felt the sound of his heartbeat in his ear.

 "Rach?" He said as he tapped on her shoulder. 

She faced him unable to look him directly in the eyes after getting a slight glance of his attractive face. A slight blush appeared on their faces as if they had not snogged earlier shamelessly. 

Henry on the other hand was gasped by her appearance, she was always beautiful but her black and white jumpsuit made her stand out even more. Something about her radiance made him feel slightly warm or maybe that was the feeling of his pale cheeks burning up from his heartbeat. 

"Shall we?" He said as he held his hand out.

 "We shall." She replied shyly as she grabbed his hand which he proceeded to place in his pocket to keep her warm.

🍁

 After dinner Henry and Rachel decided to take a walk in the Lavender Farm which was emptier than ever today since it wasn't the holidays. They chatted for awhile as the air got slightly tensed from their occasional glances at each other. 

They then sat down on a bench with a view of the landscape.

 After debating what to say, Rachel finally looked up at him. 

"I want to ask you something." She asked looking at him.

 "Hmm?" He uttered looking at her immensely.

 "What happened that day when you were drenched in the rain? Why were you willingly walking in the rain like that?" She asked.

 Henry looked up at her and then at his feet before laughing at her question. 

"Well..."

 ____________

🍁 

 *Cameron Highlands, a couple of days ago.*

Henry dropped his phone.

 All of his smug looks on his face alongside with his confidence faded away as soon as he ended the call with his dad. The memories of what happened years ago started flooding back. He fell down onto the ground holding his arms as he clutched himself. 

He struggled to reach for his anxiety pills on the table which was prescribed to him for his PTSD. He threw a couple of pills into his mouth before sighing deeply. He felt like scarping his ears out after hearing the sound of his father.  

He was shaking unbearably.  

He stared at the wall in front of him as tears drizzled down his eyes thinking of his past trauma.

 🍁

* 13 Years Ago *

 - Henry's diary -

I could feel it in my chest.

The amount of pain that he had cost, he was not my father, he was a monster. How mercifully he is when he has the power in his hand. I am just a helpless person in front of him.

The blood on my lips were already familiar to me, I was not disgusted at the taste of my own blood anymore. The many times he had beaten me to the pulp has made my skin numb to the pain that these days I only shake when the stick hits my skin.

The many scars this monster drew on my skin is the reason I can only wear long-sleeved clothes, and people call my misery their fashion trend.

I wonder what is behind these four walls, I wonder what kind of life I would have lived if I wasn't born from this wicked family. How ignorant of a woman my mother is to allow herself to be in this situation, to willingly be bruised by this wicked man allowing him to hurt her only son like this.

I was wrong this once.

I failed on being first place.

I failed as his son.

Mama is crying because of me.

Will this misery end if I put a bullet to my head? Will it end for good?

I was jealous of Jeremiah today, I have always been. How amazing his life must be. His caring and kind parents, are father who cares and a mother who is there. And his sister who is his right hand, how jealous I am of him today.

I'm hiding in my closet from this monster, he is drunk right now. God only knows the things he would do if he saw me, I hope mama is safe. I'll be hiding here for awhile until I pass out from the blood that is dripping down my face.

I can only think of one person now, for some reason Rachel. That silly girl. That silly girl has caught my attention once again. Once again I feel chained to her, but I am happy for she is my euphoria for a moment. If only she knew what I meant by that kiss that day, if only.

But I must protect her from the devil. Until then, wait for me.

Henry.

🍁

Rachel, I need Rachel.

But when she appeared with a bag of treats for him, it was so sudden he was shaken up to say anything. And his trauma got the best of him making him respond like he would which was to push her away.  

And so he did.

 In his mind, he wanted to protect her. She shouldn't be with someone like him, he was unworthy of his kindness so he pushed her away again. The same guilt flooded in when she left his hotel room in tears. But running after her wasn't his option, he could not go after something he doesn't deserve.

 He wanted to hold her so badly and cry, cry out everything. But then at time, he could only afford to choke up every single word that wanted to pass from his lips.

 After sitting in the dark room listening to the sound of thunder, he stood up listening to the eagerness of his heart to go Rachel.  

And that was how he ended up in her arms that day, he didn't know if it was right but he felt at peace. He felt home in her warmth.

___________

🍁

 Tears trickled down her rosy cheeks. After listening to what he said, she pulled up his black sleeves to reveal the man scares that hid under them. She gently rubbed his pale skin pressing her against hers. Her heart was throbbing, how much he must have suffered as a child.

 When she was a child she took everything for granted, even up till now. She threw a hissy fit with her mother who cared for her and left just like that, when he on the other hand yearned for such parental love. 

Her eyes soaked even more.

 Henry forced a smile with his red puffy eyes as he slowly wiped her tears.

"Why are you crying, hmm?" He said softly as he got closer to her.

 Rachel couldn't even think straight, although she really liked him and blushed every time he got close, she couldn't feel like that right now. At this point, she only felt for him. She felt so much of heartache just listening to him. 

Now she realized how he disguised his misery with his cockiness. 

She looked at him with gloomy eyes as she reached for his head and placed it on her shoulders as she patted him slowly.

 "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry I didn't realize sooner that-" She couldn't even finish her sentences since the lump in her throat felt stagnant. 

Henry smiled as he held back his tears. 

 "It's not your fault." He whispered as he loosened her grip and pecked her forehead.

Rachel looked at him once more before gripping his hands again.

 "Let me hold you like this, I'll hold you like this forever." She said as she held his face whilst rubbing it slowly.

 Henry smiled as he nodded feeling a rollercoaster of emotions throughout his whole body.

 🍁

Rachel held his hands tightly as they walked down the farm towards Henry's car. Walking down the road, the both of them had nothing left to say. They felt so many things in a short span of time it was too much to process all at once and they couldn't just talk about something else like nothing had happened.

Henry took a quick glance at her before smiling at how she held his hands. He stopped walking and pulled her closer to him. She was now able to look into his eyes steadily wavering. He pushed back her long black hair that covered her neck and smiled at her beautiful face. 

He then took one more glance at her before speaking.

 "I called you out for a reason today." He said as he placed his thumb under her eyes correcting her smudged makeup.

"Hmm?" She uttered as she cleared up her throat.

 "I wanted to ask you if I could be your boyfriend." He said softly whilst holding her face upwards.

 Rachel smiled as she nodded before embracing him into a hug. Henry then slowly patted her back before she pulled away to look at him.

 "I wanted to know why you got me these flowers. Buckwheat flowers... what do they mean?" She asked as he gripped her arms.

Henry looked at her closely and smiled. 

"Lover, that's what they mean."

 Just then, they believed that home doesn't always have to be a place, it could also be warmth that could be found in the people around you.

[ Anchor- Novo Amor ( plays ) ]

Thank you for reading Daybreak Cafe, see you in part 11 ☕🍂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

339K 12.3K 43
❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ 𝑩𝒆𝒄𝒂𝒖𝒔𝒆 𝑰'𝒎 𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒚. 𝑪𝒍𝒂𝒑 𝒂𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒇𝒆𝒆𝒍 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒂 𝒓𝒐𝒐𝒎 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒂 𝒓𝒐𝒐𝒇 𝒃𝒆𝒄𝒂𝒖𝒔�...
1.1K 52 39
After being broken in every way imaginable, Yoongi tries to remember what it was like to be whole-but everything is different now and he doesn't know...
949 134 11
Do you ever really forget your first love? Even if they caused you so much pain that your life's trajectory changed drastically? Anne left Seoul fiv...
29.3K 2.1K 16
Ever since the day he walked through the front door of your cafe hand in hand with his sweet daughter on one gloomy afternoon in the middle of winter...