Worship You

By DanAhearn

He didn't know anything about love. Or loyalty. Or blood or death. But then he met Cassie... More

Chapter One. The End
Chapter Two. Only You
Chapter Three. What It's Like To Really Be In Love
Chapter Four - No Time For Anyone But You.
Chapter Five - The Ugliness of Money
Chapter Five-A. Reality Check
Chapter Six - If Only I Had Taken You Away
Chapter Seven - Curse
Chapter Eight - Gazz
Chapter Nine - The Yule Day
Chapter Ten - The Wild Dogs and the Cleft of the World
Chapter Eleven - The Day After
Chapter Twelve - Arraignment
Chapter Thirteen - Hazard of Beauty
Chapter Fourteen - The Crowd Carries It Away
Chapter Fifteen - The Door
Chapter Fifteen A - Reality Check
Chapter Sixteen - Murder Trial
Chapter Seventeen - Homeland Security
Chapter Eighteen - The CSI Stuff
Chapter Nineteen - Bug in a Glass
Chapter Twenty - Verdict
Chapter Twenty-One - Juvee Dee
Chapter Twenty-two - Visitation
Chapter Twenty-three - When This Started

Chapter Three-A. Reality Check

183 9 3
By DanAhearn

    My lawyer came today for his usual visit. And he had some news. Cassie's lawyers are asking for severance.

    "They wanted a separate trial, but that's not going to happen. The state can't afford it. But they asked for severance of your defenses."

    The walls of the where you meet your lawyer seemed to be flowing like they were made of thick hot syrup. My face burned.

    "Why? What does that mean?"

    "It means that you and Cassie will be tried at the same time, you will be in court together, but her lawyers want the defenses to be separate."

    "I got that. What does that mean?"

    "For instance, they can treat you as a hostile witness if you testify. Which remember I advise against."

    Goff is a public defender, which in this town means: Bad Lawyer. He's balding and skinny and his Adam's apple pokes out of his neck in a way that makes me gag. I call him One-Way. One-Way because if you look at his profile, he's like a big arrow: his forehead slopes back, his nose sticks way out, and you can draw a straight diagonal line from the point of his nose to his collar. Bumping out of course over that huge Adam's apple. An arrow. An arrow pointing one-way to the electric chair. Or maybe it's the Needle, I don't know how they kill murderers in this state come to think of it. The first time I saw him I knew I was doomed. He was wearing a tweed jacket that seemed to be held together by grime. His shirt was frayed around the collar. In short, he was a loser, a guy that could remember just enough law in night school to get a degree and pass the bar, and then somehow blackmailed an uncle or an in-law into appointing him to the Public Defender's Office. No. Not an in-law. Goff couldn't be married.

    So I asked One-Way, "What does severance of our defenses mean in this case? To us?"

    Goff took out a dirty handkerchief and wiped his nose. "It means that she's going to blame it all on you."

    I didn't really hear anything else after that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

790K 45K 39
#1 Mystery | #1 Thriller | #1 Young Adult Have you ever known someone more than you know yourself? Known them so inside out that you could finish th...
2.6M 68.5K 27
"I will never love you, Amy. We were forced upon each other but I will never love you" Jace said, coldly. Amy Smith was forced to marry the player J...
276 58 28
*COMPLETED* NOT EDITED Faced with a problem that could change her life forever, Cali has to make a decision between following her heart or her instin...
164K 9K 53
*COMPLETED* This is a sequel of the book 'Hired Bride' but can be a stand alone book. I recommend reading the first one, however, to get a better kno...