A Wicked Game [The Crown Saga...

By ToriRHayes

The pursuit for the Golden Crown continues but being the strongest academy representative is no longer enough... More

Veiled
Abyss of Red
Surfaces of Ice
A Warrior's Struggle
Toxic Dispute
Adeena's Garden
Tale of the Evergreens
Path of Stars
Honest Heart
A Shadow's Feather
Beyond a Home
A Whisper of Guidance
Streets of the Elite
Five Thrones
A Suitor's Narrative
A Thousand Worlds
Hollow Kisses
Melodies of Faith
Cracks of Truth
Sounds of Wind
House of the Wave
A Golden Romance
Soul of the Inferno
No Rest for the Wicked
Symphonies of Dawn
Cursed Confessions
An Air Wielder's Arsenal
The Wandering Mountains
Poisonous Haze
Templars of the Mist
Pure Healer
Broken Promises
Cadoc's Favourite
Turbulent Emotions
Blazing Soul
Alia's Bargain
The Final Trial
Race of the Lotus - Part I
Race of the Lotus - Part II
The Crown
Paintings of Gold
The Awakening

Challenging the Sun

3.7K 179 35
By ToriRHayes

"There you are!" Piper shouted as she ran to greet me.

Her deep green dress flowed less than an inch above the floor, the bodice coated with golden sparkles and the sleeves of Georgette fabric that left her skin visible through the green shade.

Calla was right behind her, but her dress was simpler, consisting of multiple shades of orange mixed in layers from the bottom to the top.

"Don't make this a habit — barely arriving in time, I mean," Piper added when she grabbed my hand and dragged me to the buffet of appetizers and finger foods.

Her child-like excitement was amusing. Calla was no longer shushing her, so it was now plainly obvious how much she genuinely loved this tradition and couldn't wait to tell me everything.

"I'm sorry," I said, failing to suppress the chuckle pressing past my lips when she pointed the chicken leg she'd picked up in my direction. "Adriel lost track of time, and I have yet to learn how to run in these heels."

"Speaking of attire," Calla said as she circled me, her gaze peeling off the layers of clothing from my body. "Why are you wearing a cape?"

I cleared my throat and swallowed the tiny pastry I'd put in my mouth. However, before I could answer her, she lifted the flimsy fabric and exposed the back.

"Oh, my! Miss Aldwyn!" Piper shouted, a little too loud for comfort, as she joined Calla behind me.

"Piper!" I chided her to prevent repeating the situation she'd put me in this morning.

"It was Adriel's idea," I whispered, carefully removing the cape from Calla's hands, allowing it to cover my back like before without making a scene.

I would never in my wildest dreams have worn a dress like this before I came here. Not only because we couldn't afford it, but this type of dress wouldn't have suited my slender body.

My back had been too bony, and my ribs had been visible enough for someone with musical talent to use my body as a human marimba.

However, the massive amounts of high-quality food we were given here, combined with Art's training, had transformed my body from merely skin and bones to somewhat athletic. If I hadn't been so uncomfortable with showing skin, I would probably have been proud to see a piece of clothing finally fitting me so well. Besides, Alia would likely be beside herself if she saw the seductive outfit my stylist had chosen for me.

I shortly pondered whether the price of seeing smoke steaming from her heated ears would be worth it. However, after my fight with Faye, agitating Alia was the last thing I wanted to do tonight. And for once, she didn't appear interested in agitating me, either.

Alia was standing on the opposite side of the cone-shaped figure of lights, chatting with Tanith and another person I couldn't see. Caiden, perhaps. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

"So," I said as we sat down to eat the food we'd gathered. "Can you reveal anything about this evening yet? Apart from what is obviously already happening."

We were all here, as far as I could count. All but the royal family, and while I couldn't say for sure if Caiden was the person behind the figure, I couldn't rule out the possibility.

Evie was standing in a corner, talking to one of the guards, possibly discussing the events of the evening. The rest of the party was chatting and chuckling in their formal attire, either sitting at the round tables distributed around the edge of the dome or closer to the cone of spherical lights.

"We'd rather that it'll be a surprise," Calla hastily said before Piper could get a word in edgewise. "Besides, I don't think you'll have to wait long before it begins."

Her cryptic demeanor provoked my curiosity, and I shortly considered pulling Piper aside to make her spill the beans, but I'd been waiting all day, so what difference would a few minutes make?

"Here," Piper said, offering me a tall glass of clear, bubbling liquid subtly tinted with a yellowish shade.

I accepted it without hesitation and brought it to my lips as I had done countless times before when she offered me something. Then I spat it out, distressed by the foul taste that continued to linger on my tongue.

My tongue became parched as the taste evolved — which should've been impossible from a beverage intended to quench the thirst — revealing a taste of soil and yeast in a revolting combination.

"What did you give me, Piper?" I asked, my face still twitching in uncontrollable contractions from the attempt to get rid of the taste.

"Sparkling wine," she bluntly admitted, placing her glass of poison on the table. "Have you never had that before?"

I shook my head as I tried drowning my tongue in water, but the resilient aftertaste seemed to endure every attempt I made to erase it. "Sorry, the first time tasting it can be a bit unpleasant, but the taste grows on you after a few attempts, and then you'll be able to notice the fruits and other fragrances hidden behind the sizzle."

Piper smiled and sniffed the content of the glass as if she could smell the scents of Summer, but her smile disappeared when she saw my skeptical expression. "...or maybe it'll be better for you to start with a sweeter wine," she corrected herself and avoided my squinted eyes.

I was about to ask her how anyone could possibly get used to such an unpleasant taste when the lights dimmed, and two massive flames erupted from the scene's edges on the opposite side of the dome.

"Welcome to another celebration of the Rising Sun!"

Caiden's voice filled the room, and I craned my neck to see him standing in the spotlight with his family behind him. "We have been looking forward to putting our responsibilities aside for this night and dancing until the sun rises in the morning."

Every suitor — including Piper and Calla — began cheering when Caiden mentioned dancing.

I remained in the dark corner of suspense and could only assume what obscure message was hidden behind his announcement — unless there was no deeper meaning, which would be a first.

"However, before we initiate the night, let us welcome the Flare Warriors and their leader, Elvara Ekon, who will entertain us with the dance of a thousand suns while we wait for dinner to be served."

I followed the invisible path of Caiden's outstretched hand and found my eyes resting on a beautiful woman. Her skin was as black as the darkest night; her hair short and curly. She was dressed in red and orange fabrics, the long sleeves accessorized with golden rings framing her lower arms and a black leather bodice framing her well-trained torso.

Her pants were tight, partly hidden by a long loin skirt hanging from her bodice, almost like the piece of cloth hanging from the belt of my warrior uniform. The boots were black and leathery too, but instead of the lace tied by the shoe, it was twined around her calf, making the uniform appear as one piece.

The woman looked like a lady dressed in warrior clothes but with a fierce spark in her eye. I stiffened when I saw whose chair she was leaning against.

Alia's smile looked genuine as she tilted her head up to meet Elvara's proud smile. They seemed to know each other well, and it wouldn't surprise me if the leader of the Flare Warriors had been Alia's master throughout her years at the Ember Academy.

"Will you do us the honor, Elvara?" Caiden asked with a gentle nod in her direction. Elvara bowed in response before letting out a roar loud enough to shake the tables we were sitting at.

Suddenly, several people, all dressed in uniforms resembling Elvara's, joined her on the open floor, surrounding the glowing sculpture of lights in two circular layers — the men closest to the sculpture and the women closest to us.

I didn't know what was about to happen, but a feeling told me it would be spectacular.

Loud music started playing, and the warriors began stamping their feet on the ground following the beat of the music.

Then they started moving between each other, grabbing a partner to support them through lifts and acrobatic tricks until their hands caught fire, and they parted to stand solo.

Their fire was mesmerizing, and it wasn't until I felt the heat of their flames on my face that I realized how close they'd moved to us as spectators. Then, they started mixing with the tables in full control of their flames, demonstrating their strength and power in new, captivating ways while reminding us that fire was more than a destructive force. It was the source of all living things — warm and nurturing like the Sun in the sky.

After a few moments, they retreated to the center again, establishing the same layered circle as in the beginning. One layer moved clockwise while the other went counter-clockwise, giving the impression of two mechanical gears — or at least, that was what I saw.

The cycle only lasted until the circles had completed one full rotation around the sculpture, at which point they turned towards the center, lifting their heads and breathing a flame larger than any I'd ever seen.

Flames from every warrior collided in the air, creating a tower of fire and heat. For a moment, I feared that the glass ceiling of the dome would shatter or melt, but the top was gone when I finally dared to look up.

The sea of flames then shifted in an unusual motion, revealing a shape that made me question my eyes. Only when I heard a majestic roar and saw the head of the ancient fire dragon move above our frozen bodies did I realize how real the creature actually was.

The dragon head was, without a doubt, able to put a spell on anyone looking into its fiery eyes, but I ripped mine away, curious to see how they managed to control such a glorious beast.

The majority of the warriors were still breathing the fire that kept the dragon alive. However, four other warriors stood outside the circle, commanding the fire to shape the dragon and move it, including Elvara.

The power they displayed was beyond anything I thought was possible for Iridis. Even Caiden's powers could hardly compete with this.

I looked up again just in time to see the dragon circle above our heads one last time before roaring and disappearing toward the sky through the opening of the dome.

The music stopped playing, and the room fell silent for a few moments before the suitors erupted in cheer and applause, astounded by the performance.

It took a moment for me to catch up as I was still too stunned by what we'd just witnessed, but I eventually began clapping too. Even Alia smiled like a child who'd just experienced their first snow.

"Thank you, Flare Warriors, and thank you, Elvara, for accepting our invitation. I can only imagine how inspired the suitors must feel after a performance like that," Caiden said once the cheering died down before turning to face us. "I hope you all enjoyed the routine as much as I did, but now it is time for you to enjoy the feast that the kitchen has prepared for us tonight. Food will be available throughout the entire night, but the main courses will be served shortly, after which we will clear the floor for you to dance until the Sun rises."

So, Caiden hadn't had a secret agenda when he'd mentioned dancing before. Damn it.

I'd been dancing for weeks, and tonight was not going to be another night I planned to purposely put myself through that kind of torture again. The Flare Warriors may have inspired me to learn more about my abilities, but I was already too exhausted to think clearly, let alone move as Art would have me.

"That was amazing!" Piper suddenly exclaimed.

Caiden had finished his speech, and I'd forgotten to listen as usual. "I've never seen the Flare Warriors in action before, but I was blown away by their capability to wield such power. I find it hard enough to keep my powers under control on my own, and they managed to do it as a group!"

Piper wasn't wrong. I had to use an exhausting amount of energy to even remotely control my abilities. Additionally, they had to collaborate to complete it.

The first course was served soon after — a serving of shellfish on top of bread dressed with greens and a crimson sauce. It looked beautiful, but during my time here, I'd discovered that any foods from the sea — except for ordinarily grilled fish — displeased my yet sensitive stomach.

It still hadn't adapted to the enormous amounts of food we received here, let alone the fancy dining of raw foods and stuff I'd never heard of before. So, I decided not to touch it despite my growling stomach until the servers came to take it away and replace it with the next dish.

The rest of the courses tasted like a feast only possible in dreams, and unlike the first time I was served food like this, I was able to finish the dessert.

"That was so good," Calla stated, leaning back on her chair to stretch her glutted stomach. Piper followed her lead, and I was about to do the same before Caiden stood up to make another toast, reminding us that we weren't in our private chambers.

Our behavior may be mildly acceptable in the Parlor, but here, there were cameras everywhere, and stretching so flagrantly wasn't appropriate for the ladies that the royals expected us to be. So, we sat straight and turned our heads to listen carefully to the words of Heliac's crown prince.

"Thank you to the kitchen for another delightful feast," he said, eyeing Abi, who was smiling content by the door likely leading to the kitchen. "The following hour is yours to spend however you please before we urge you to grab a partner and forget time as the music of the fireflies carries you to a new tomorrow. Snacks and drinks can be found at the buffet; otherwise, feel free to ask the servers for anything your heart desires — possibly even a dance."

I chuckled as Abi's face turned ashen as Caiden winked at her. I bet she hadn't expected an invite to dance from our crown prince.

The hour went by fast, and we were asked to leave our seats so that the staff could rearrange tables to make space for a dance floor to surround the cone of light.

Piper and Calla appeared eager to use the dance floor, so it didn't go unnoticed when I sat down again after the tables had been moved aside.

"Oh, come on, Will!" Piper said, pouting her lips as she tugged my cape. "I bet the royals are secretly using the occasion to observe how we behave on the dance floor. You have to come."

"Piper," I said, chuckling as I grabbed her hand to stop her from stretching the fabric. "I don't care about impressing the royals. I have been dancing non-stop for weeks, so I don't really feel like dancing tonight."

Calla and Piper made one last attempt to persuade me, but their pouting faces, unfortunately, weren't enough to sway me.

I sighed with relief when they finally turned away from me to navigate the maze of suitors and newcomers, leaving me behind.

There were a lot of people out there, enjoying the music and moving their bodies like maniacs; however, I wasn't the only one holding back from the festivities.

Alia was sitting at her table, conversing with her prior master. I had to admit I was a little envious of her for having been taught by a powerful Iridis like Elvara.

Of course, I had Art, and I knew he was powerful too; I just wasn't sure how powerful. So far, he'd only cared to display minor demonstrations of his powers, and I didn't really know what to make of it. Even Payton and Elle were seated at a table, talking as if they were unbothered by the music playing in the background.

Princess Eos was sitting in her princess chair beside the king to oversee the festivities, but Prince Calix seemed to be enjoying himself in the company of the suitors surrounding him — as did Caiden.

Piper and Calla joined me by the table a few times, tirelessly doing their best to convince me to join them, but I declined their offer each time, despite the fact that they appeared to be having a good time. I just wasn't in the mood.

The air had become heavy and suffocating after a few hours. It wasn't unexpected, given the number of active individuals gathered in one room, but I couldn't resist the temptation to find a breath of fresh air.

I craned my neck to check if Piper and Calla remained preoccupied with their partners before attempting to slip through the crowd without being caught.

There were no exits to slip outside the dome, so my only hope was that the glass wall allowing us to observe the upcoming sunrise would be thin enough to permit the cold air to seep in through and cool my heated skin.

The starless sky was dark, leaving me with no indication of how much time had passed or how much time there was before the grand sunrise.

It wasn't as cold by the windows as I'd hoped, but it was still better than sitting by the tables. So I leaned over the handrail and observed the lights scattered around the garden while listening to the music pouring from the speakers.

"How about you take my place in the next round of the Eternal Flame Cup, Alia? I would like to see how you perform in a real ring of fire," I heard Elvara say to Alia a little further behind me.

"Really? The Eternal Flame Cup. Do you really think I'm ready for that?" Alia asked, unsure of herself, which must have been the first time to happen in her entire life.

I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but Alia was talking to Elvara in a way I'd never heard her speak to anyone before. If it hadn't been for all the horrible things Alia had done to me so far, I might have been convinced that she really was the affectionate person Faye had described. So maybe Faye's claims weren't as unrealistic as I'd made them out to be.

My train of thought was disrupted when I sensed the presence of another person joining my side. I looked beside me, expecting to see Piper or Calla, but the person was considerably taller, with features significantly different from any of them.

"Are you not enjoying the festivities, Miss Aldwyn?" Prince Calix asked as his glistening eyes met mine.

"Prince Calix," I said and moved my gaze away from his — an old habit I'd found nearly impossible to get rid of.

I squeezed the edges of my cape as I searched my empty mind for an appropriate answer.

Prince Calix was addressing me directly; under these circumstances, it would be more rude than polite to leave his question unanswered. "I just needed a place to cool my head. The atmosphere in here is getting thicker with the increasing number of dancers on the floor."

"That is true, but you don't feel it the same way when you are one of the dancers," he said, smiling comfortingly before looking back at the dancing crowd. "Aren't those your friends in the middle? Why haven't you joined them?"

I followed the direction of his stretched index finger until my gaze found Calla and Piper, who were no longer dancing with partners but with each other. "I-I'm not really in the mood for dancing, Prince Calix. I—"

I stopped myself from revealing more than my contract allowed me. I couldn't discuss my training with Caiden — apart from some rare instances — so I assumed that those same rules also applied to my conversations with Calix. However, he wasn't ignorant.

"Has my uncle been forcing you through the Dance of a Warrior?" Prince Calix asked, still watching the crowd while resting his back against the fence.

I snorted, realizing how lousy I was at keeping these secrets. It was a miracle Faye or Adriel hadn't seen through my act yet. "Is it that obvious?"

Prince Calix nodded, still smiling. "Don't worry; unlike my genius brother, I remember finding that task quite bothersome as well. However, no one here will judge you for not performing perfectly," he assured me.

I chuckled quietly. It wouldn't surprise me if this were Piper and Calla's latest attempt to persuade me to dance with them.

"It would be such a waste to miss out on the careless pleasures of an evening like this," Prince Calix added, his eyes resting on me again.

"I promise not to bother you with any potential regrets in the morning, Prince Calix," I said, sighing as I imagined my friends peeking at us from the crowd. "My body is still sore from Art's— your uncle's lectures, and I doubt my legs will be able to carry me through even one dance."

"Would you be willing to bet everything you have on that?" Prince Calix asked.

I arched my brow and turned my head to look at him. "Would I, what?"

Suddenly, Prince Calix stepped in front of me and extended his hand for me to accept it. "A bet like that is difficult to settle unless proof is provided, wouldn't you agree?" he said, smiling content as if he knew he'd already won the bet I hadn't yet agreed to. "So, may I ask for this dance?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.6K 1.9K 50
She's not wealthy, but she's extraordinarily powerful, and her truth of origin lies deeper than what she had thought. Her name is Theodosia, and she'...
25.9K 1.1K 37
"Why me?" "I've been asking myself the same thing since the day I saw you." *** Hope Lancaster had always lived a relatively normal life. School, wor...
987 197 36
***{WATTYS 2022 SHORTLISTED}*** Jill Logan is plucked from everything she's come to care about, only this time, she's fallen into the hands of Princ...
229K 13.2K 66
In this gripping sequel to The Culled Crown, Monroe finds herself fighting between the power in her blood, her traitorous heart, and her freedom. ...