Pretty Pheonix

נכתב על ידי prettierflowers

Blair Justice, aka Agent Pheonix, had only known one home all her life, which coincidentally happened to be t... עוד

• Prologue •
Chapter 1 | Late on the first day
Chapter 2 | Accidents Happen
Chapter 3 | Confused
Chapter 4 | Caught
Chapter 5 | Unwanted
Chapter 6 | Apologies
Chapter 7 | Walking on Eggshells
Chapter 8 | Jeffery and Punishments
Chapter 9 | A bad boy on a motorcycle
Chapter 10 | A New Royal
Chapter 11 | Housemates
Chapter 13 | Bentwood
Chapter 14 | The Missing Wig
Chapter 15 | Mission Avoid
Chapter 16 | I Know You
Chapter 17 | Kingston Centre
Chapter 18 | Drop It
Chapter 19 | Another Letter
Chapter 20 | The 4 Clover Country Club
Chapter 21 | Consequences
Chapter 22 | The Chase

Chapter 12 | The Royals at Home

160 6 0
נכתב על ידי prettierflowers

Thank goodness I didn't hang any clothes out on the line. I think to myself as I stare out the window of Olivia's bedroom, eyeing the gloomy looking collection of vapor covering the sky. It's dark, grey mass is hovering over the entire town, no doubt anxious to let out a heavy downpour.

"Well that doesn't look too promising." Olivia comments sarcastically from her desk, taking a glance at the weather outside. She decides to set her pen down, from which I had told her to take notes, and says in a prudent manner, "maybe we should cut today's session short. The storm looks like it might pull an all nighter and my parents don't let me drive while the storms are in full swing. How will we get you home?"

I raise a brow at her before looking out the window again. The storm hasn't started yet, but there's already something dull and despicable about them.

Olivia is right. If I stay here any longer and the storm starts, we'd have no choice but to wait it out before she can drop me off and who knows how long the weather plans to stay like this? I have no plans in sleeping over in my uncomfortable disguise either.

Better to strike the iron now while it's still hot Blair.

"Okay, let's go before it gets worse." I agree and stand up, slipping my arms into the straps of my bag. Olivia nods and raises from her desk, tucking her chair in and we walk out of her room, down the stairs and she lets her mom know she's dropping me off before we head out the front door.

It starts to rain when we get into her car and reverse out of her driveway, and little raindrops break on the hood and body of her jeep. It's small at first, but as we continue the rain becomes heavier and heavier.

By the time we're halfway through, the time on the radio says it's six forty-five but the sky resembles that of midnight, giving off a bad vibe.

Olivia's headlights only show the falling of rain as we move forward at the legal speed, unlike the hordes of other vehicles speeding past us, people eager to get home and out of this torrential weather. I'll consider myself one of them tonight — a casual civilian just trying to get under the protection of the most familiar place they know; their home.

I check my bag to make sure I didn't leave anything behind in Olivia's room and catch sight of my consent form for the excursion to Bentwood Park that's tomorrow. I pull it out and read through the contents of it using the light coming from the various streetlights we pass and huff. Typical.

"What's that? Your permission slip?" Olivia asks curiously.

"Yep." I nod and put it back into the safety of my bag.

"Are you going?" She asks, keeping her eyes trained on the road ahead.

"It's not like I have much of a choice." I shrug coolly, "it's for our microbiology assignment, isn't your biology class going as well? Actually, aren't all biology students going tomorrow?"

She sighs, "yeah. Honestly, I don't want to go. It's not that I have a thing against the class, it's just my partner."

I cock a brow at her, "you dread it because of your partner? That's silly."

"Easy for you to say. Who's your partner?"

"I don't have a partner." I say, feeling somewhat content. Yep, I was finally graced with the opportunity of not being paired.

"Lucky you, I'm stuck with Tom Hornet." She says with an annoyed tone.

I grimace, hearing the name of my arrogant chemistry partner. "Yikes. I sympathize with you, but at least it's only for one assignment. He's my chemistry partner til the end of senior year." I tell her.

She looks at me with both brows up, surprised, and then pats me on the shoulder, "I'm so sorry."

"Yeah, everyone always is."

As we near my neighborhood, I get this strange feeling that something is out of place. Now at this moment in time there are so many things that I can call from the top of my head that are out of place (me being in this town for instance), but none can match the particular feeling in my gut telling me to just beware.

"Can you slow down a bit?" I ask as we pull into my street.

"What?"

"I said could you slow down a bit. Something just feels wrong."

"Wrong? Like most of my answers in the last physics test wrong or pineapple being allowed on pizza wrong?"

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion at her alternatives, "the first one?" I ask and frown, "pineapple doesn't belong on pizza. That's diabolical!"

"Good because I think so too. Some humans actually like it. Can you believe that?" She says with a disgusted expression gracing her features.

We're three houses away from mine and I tell Olivia to watch it carefully as we get closer.

It doesn't take long before my driveway comes into view and something shocking unveils itself along with it, leaving me to gape in horror.

"Are my eyes playing with me or are those really cars by your abandoned house..." Olivia starts as we stare wide-eyed at what's on my driveway. I don't even have the will to glare at her for that insult. All I can do is stare at the very real, very much there automobiles in my driveway.

I wish this was a case where one of my neighbors was throwing a house party and their guests, rude as they might be, had taken the liberty of using my driveway, but it's not. There are no house parties in the area and this is not a dream. It's nightmare I will never fathom.

I suddenly feel sick. "I think I'm gonna puke."

"Don't. You. Dare." Olivia threatens, temporarily snapping out of her stunned state. "Do it outside, not in my precious baby!"

"Forgive me—"

"Don't!" Olivia shouts and in a flash, she unclips my seatbelt, opens the passenger's door and shoves me out of the car. I land on my butt in a puddle and immediately get attacked by the rain, it's almost like I've jumped right into a cold shower. The intensity of it being so much that I'm instantly drenched from head to toe.

What the heck?

"Olivia!" I scream, glaring at her for pushing me out. She blinks at me a few times from her car before remembering that it's RAINING outside and that she's just pushed me out.

She lifts her hands up in a surrender, "okay, okay don't lash out at me so quickly. I panicked okay? I'm gonna go now. You take care okay? When you've calmed down, call me and uh... good luck!"

Before I have the chance to scream at her more, she leans over, pulls the passenger door shut and drives off with a toot, leaving me on the side of the road, drenched. I watch her disappear with all sorts of thoughts running through my mind, like how long she's going to live knowing she's done something so evil.

May her sister step all over the interior of her car with dirty boots.

Once my mental cursing is over, my gaze returns to my driveway and with the terrible sight of Jake's Lamborghini, Collin's new Bugatti and the most unfortunate; Declan's Jaguar, I am reminded that I have guests.

I stand and rush to my front door quickly to get out of the rain, assuring myself that everything will be fine as long as I don't bump into either one of them.

My house isn't considerably big, so as long as I sneak in quietly, I can simply run down the hallway into my bedroom and stay there until the Royals are gone. Simple right?

But what if they're not in there though? What if they just left their cars here and convoyed in one of their cars somewhere to save gas?

Pffft! Because rich kids actually worry about saving cash on fuel and wouldn't have anywhere else to leave their expensive sport cars! I want to slap myself in the face for even thinking of such. I mean look at Declan, he got me to spend hundreds of dollars on shampoo I wouldn't even use! Clearly they don't see large sums of money the same way us ordinary folk do.

Just standing out here thinking about spending so much money is starting to make my head hurt. I should probably get inside and change into clean, dry clothes before I get a fever out here.

Speaking of which, my wig is wet!

"Olivia Hart you god awful human being." I murmur as I fetch my keys from my bag, shivering at the same time from the cold.

I can hear my heart beating in my chest, the weird anxiety in hoping that no one opens the door right now and sees me in my soaked state courses like hormones being released through my body. Quick and to the point, that it makes me expire cold sweat. I fumble around with my keys and slowly open the door.

The lights are on inside and there's noise coming from the living room. The sound of voices travels to the foyer and I can hear the faint sound of the TV playing.

I take a step in quietly, almost like an intruder sneaking into someone else's home, and shut the door slowly to ensure the least amount of noise is produced as possible. Luckily, the sound of the big storm outside cancels out a lot of noise.

I slip off my wet shoes and socks, taking precautions so not to attract attention, like the squeaky sound of wet shoes on hardwood floors. My heavy, soaked clothes leave droplets of rain-water on the floor as I tiptoe down the hallway.

And then my foot slips and I land on my butt. The loud sound echoes down the hallway and I curse myself.

How nice of you, feet!

I get back up and move carefully when I come to the opening of the living area, where I can hear voices that no doubt belong to the Royals. My curiosity gets the better of me and I take a peak around the corner and immediately regret it, because as soon as I do, I catch sight of something so terrible that it makes the storm a spect in comparison. It's absolutely horrendous!

"Blair?" I hear Luke's surprised voice. "What are you doing back so early?" His voice has gone one octave higher. That's not surprising. He knows he's been caught but I can't bring myself to glare at him for breaking my biggest rule: no bringing friends over.

Instead, my eyes lock onto the tub of my favorite s'mores ice cream that are in the masculine hands of some rude twat sitting on one of the recliners by the fireplace.

My... my ice cream!

Ignoring the fact that I am indeed wet, that my eyeliner may be ruined, that my clothes are as damp as clothes can get and that I'm dripping from head-to-toe, I walk into the living room overly annoyed that someone had the audacity to eat my ice cream. I'd brush it off if it was anything my else, but this is ice cream we're talking about! Isn't it a known universal law that you do not go into someone else's home and get their ice cream without permission?

This isn't just ice cream either, it's Blue Bell's s'mores flavored ice cream. You can't just get that anywhere!

"Blair?" Luke calls.

"What?"

"Aren't you going to greet my friends?" He asks cautiously.

I look at him and raise an eyebrow sternly, then my eyes travel to the person sitting beside him on the couch which happens to be the Collin Harrington, and I freeze.

Holy crap. I momentarily forgot these were
the Royals.

Collin has an amused grin, that would most probably make any girl swoon, and I am struck with the reality that he, a rich Royal, is actually in my living room.

"Hey." He greets casually with a nod that if I was a normal teenage girl would blush shyly at.

"Hi..." I say awkwardly, feeling the eyes of all the Royals on me. Alison and Jake are sitting on the couch to my left, Collin and Luke on the couch to my right and Malissa and Declan on the recliners by the fireplace ahead of me. I'm cornered!

As you can assume, it's the one person who people are afraid of that has my Blue Bell's S'mores ice cream. Declan-the treacherous-Hyder. That devil. He actual thinks he can do whatever he wants in my house too.

Talk about shameless.

"Luke, can I have a word with you," I manage to say while holding the urge to lash out and pull out all his hair until he's left completely bald. "In the kitchen." I add as I walk in it's  direction. "Now!"

It takes about ten seconds for him to meet me there and once he's with me, I shoot him a hard glare.

"What are they doing here?"

"We're just chilling."

"Oh you're just chilling, alright that's terrific because it isn't like my number one rule in this house is that we're not allowed to bring friends over!"

He rolls his eyes and leans against the granite counter, "come on, you can't be serious."

I fold my arms across my chest, "when have I ever not been serious?"

He thinks for a moment and nods, "fine, but you have nothing to worry about little chicken. Nothing bad is going to happen."

"Something bad has already happened!"

"Oh really?"

"Yes, really." I mimic him in a high pitched voice.

"What?"

"Don't act like you don't know." I narrow my eyes at him, "you let it happen right in front of your eyes. Unless you're going blind!"

"I literally have no idea what you're talking about." He says, puzzled.

I scoff. "My s'more ice cream?"

"Your what? Ice cream?" He repeats in an unbelieving tone. "That's it? You're mad about Declan getting your ice cream?"

I let out a frustrated groan, "I'm mad that you let him get my ice cream! Are you trying to sabotage me? Do you hate me that much?"

Luke face palms."It's just ice cream!"

Now I gasp, "just ice cream? I will beat your ass up while all your friends are still here if that's just ice cream."

"Oh please, you'd risk your wig falling off while you're at it." He shoots back. "Are you really up for that?"

I scowl.

"Are you?" He presses.

I look away. "No."

"Exactly. Now unless you plan on catching a cold, I suggest you go get changed and come out looking friendly, that's the key word." He tells me almost warningly then shakes his head and leaves the kitchen, "Jesus, walked in looking like a banshee."

I glare at the back of his head.

I loved that ice cream with my whole heart. Damn you Declan. I buy you shampoo and you repay me by stealing my ice cream?

How dare you?

•••

I fit on a dry blonde wig and put on another set of green contact lenses. This will be the first and last time I ever take my disguise off only to put it back on minutes later. If I fall into a similar situation in the future, I don't care, I'm not going to do the whole process of putting my disguise and makeup on again. One dress-up for the day is enough for me.

I apply another dab of blush, set my brush onto the dresser and stand up. After a check in the mirror, I walk out of my room grumbling unhappily only to walk into the wall.

I groan and rub my forehead. "Have I—have I gone blind?"

"Clearly." A deep voice replies.

I freeze. That voice. My head snaps up and I almost jump back, seeing Declan in front of me after I guess having come out from the bathroom.

He looks at something behind me, his face cold and unreadable. Then without as much as a word, he walks back to the livingroom.

Gosh. I really don't like that guy.

I enter the kitchen and open the freezer to glower once more. There's only three tubs of what used to be four tubs left. I don't go shopping for another four weeks!

"Damn it."

I force myself to keep cool just as I get a text from Luke telling me to "get my butt" into the living room and show face. That dweeb.

I roll my eyes and shove my phone into my pocket before making my way into the most occupied room in the whole house. They're all talking amongst themselves when I enter and I make no effort to change that. I plop myself by the TV quietly and pretend to be interested in the boring show that's on, hoping with every passing second that they'd leave soon.

I still can't believe Falcon would do such a thing. This is my house.

"So, what's the story with the two of you? Do you just live together?" Alison asks with a stunning smile that I find is too cheerful for a dull day like today.

Luke looks at me and for a moment I question just what he has to say in response. This is his problem. "We're cousins."

God.

"Cousins?" Jake speaks up, looking at the both of us with a hint of surprise and amusement.

"By blood and by heart." Luke nods passionately.

"Yeah, now that I look at it, there is a resemblance." Collin looks between Luke and I, his British accent above all in his sentence.

I fight the urge to roll my eyes. How can that idiot and I be related? We're nothing alike. Physic-wise and personality-wise. It's like saying Mr Bean and Albert Einstein are brothers. It's absurd!

"Of course. Our mom's are sisters so the connection is as real as it gets. Ain't I right cousin?" Luke sends me a wink.

"I wish I could clip that connection." I grumble and turn my attention back to the tv where a bunch of "daredevils" are attempting to perform a stunt.

"It's fake." I hear someone say and look to find Jake leaning forward with his elbows rested on his knees, watching the show as well.

"What's fake?"

"The show." He replies casually, "they're all attached to secret harnesses and there's a safety net below them."

"Huh?" I blow out a breath of useless air and tilt my head at the show.

"If you look closely, you'll see the harnesses." He tells me, pointing to one of the guys.

Sure enough, I see the harnesses he's talking about.

I click my tongue, "there's so much falsehood in this word."

"You bet." Jake nods.

By good fortune, the storm clears up at around nine-thirty (hey at least it wasn't midnight) and the Royals take their leave after ordering the best Chinese take-out I have ever had in my life.

Disregarding that, I know I'm not exactly a fan of their presence, but being a rude host at the end of the night is something I just can't allow in case a story goes out that I was terrible to the Kings and Queens of Victor High. So at the end of the night I stand by the door to wave them off. 

Malissa and Declan are the first to leave and I don't miss the cold look in Malissa's eyes as she walks out before Declan. They hadn't spoken much the entire time. Only to themselves by the fireplace like a married couple who were only into each other. Maybe it was a good thing because the only thing I seem to do is insult him or be offended or humiliated by him with whatever little thing he says. And after he stole my ice cream, I have nothing but criticism about him.

"Good night." I bid anyway as Declan walks past but I'm barely spared a glance.

"Rude." I mutter and he stops. My heart seems to jump, but in a way where my soul wants to leave my body. He heard?!

Oh gosh. Please don't turn. Please don't turn.

Thankfully he doesn't and continues on.

Phew.

Jake, unlike Declan, walks out after him and passes me a perfect smile, "see you tomorrow."

"Goodnight." I return.

Collin and Alison leave together and once they're all gone, I shut the door and lock it behind me.

"That wasn't so bad." Luke says with his arms folded, leaning against a table.

I roll my eyes and walk past him, "I tolerated it just for today."

"Oh come on!" He complains, "it won't hurt anyone to bring friends over. I needed this."

I stop in the hallway, "for your mission?"

"For my friendship." He replies, not giving anything away. "I'll replace your stupid ice cream." He says before going into his room. 

"You can't buy my approval." I say out loudly. "No matter how hard you try!"

"Watch me!" He shouts back.

Whatever. I should get a good night's rest. We are going for that excursion to Bentwood tomorrow and according to the form, we'll be spending the entire day there. In other words, I'll be trapped at a park with all the seniors who take biology, which is more than half of them.

Why do I feel a migraine coming on?

_______________________________

A/N: Hello there readers! I realized that I didn't do an author's note in the last chapter, not that it was absolutely necessary, but I completely forgot to set my update schedule and I know how annoying it can be as a reader to wait for an author who updates chapters randomly. Which is why I'm making it known here that I'll be updating every Saturdays or Sundays in the afternoons.

Now that that's taken care of, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It's by far the longest and I apologize for taking so long. I actually ended up drafting three other "chapter fourteen"s but was never pleased. Hopefully this has been worth it and please vote whenever you can, it helps me a lot.

Until the next chapter, goodbye!

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

70K 2.8K 62
A sleeper agent blended in amongst college students. She played her part well, attended socials, flirted with guys and sat through hours of lectures...
238K 8.1K 27
Everyone has a secret they keep from people...Well mine is that I'm an teenage agent for the CIA. When Penelope and her fake family get put undercove...
825K 24.5K 68
"He's lucky I let him live!" He kicks the chair he was sitting on, "I can't stand the thought of anyone hurting you." He takes slow steady steps towa...
7.7K 477 36
Order of Series- book 1- Loathing Logan Book 2- Still In Love With You Book 3- Loving Your Imperfections Book 4- The Best Friend's Deal (...