DREAMERS, niklaus mikaelson

By euphemire

More

INTRODUCTION
ㅡmoodboards
ㅡcast + playlists
ㅡthe great before
PROLOGUE
ACT ONE!
i. homecoming
ii. familiarity
iii. hello, fiji!
iv. daybreak
v. evening talks
vi. invitations
vii. the ball
viii. our bubble
ix. hot rod
x. comfort
xi. around the world
xii. mystic grill
xiii. glitter and gold
xiv. bury a friend
ACT TWO!
i. just like sunshine
ii. the family
iii. traitor
iv. of flowery shit
v. tequila!
vi. missing you
viii. under pressure
ix. a funeral for three
x. the finish line
ACT THREE!
i. midnight memories
ii. heart breaker
iii. apologies
iv. all ye faithful
v. bayou blues pt. 1
vi. bayou blues pt. 2
vii. old friends
viii. hello, goodbye
ix. casket girls
x. into the woods
xi. sensual politics
xii. a small death
xiii. sunlight
xiv. the fallen
xv. cruel world
ㅡfootnotes
ACT FOUR!
INTERLUDE
i. after her
ii. the firstborn
iii. inferno
iv. matters of the heart

vii. ah, monets

4.8K 240 62
By euphemire

many more monets!

·° 。: ✰ : ·° 。

          THERE WAS A LIMITED amount of things that could scare an Original vampireㅡeven less for the Original hybridㅡand yes, for Niklaus Mikaelson, meeting the love of his immortal life's parents was one of them. A face down with his despicable father and a White Oak stake sounded less daunting compared to the situation that was about to unfold.

          Rosalie glanced at him, raising an eyebrow. They were nearly at the Monet household, which was not too far from the Town Square. The lampposts contrasted the darkness with its bright lights, illuminating the pathway. Only a few people were in the area, most of which were too drunk to walk straight. Clearly, the town's Christmas celebration had gone well.

          "Are you all right?" the brunette questioned. "You look like you're going to be sick."

          "I'm fine. Everything will be fine." It was not fine. The hybrid wanted to bring a bottle of wine, or a fruit basket, or something; but Rosalie had shot him down, saying that it wasn't necessary. What was he thinking, agreeing to meet her family? He didn't think because he jumped at the opportunity to spend time with Rosalie, and now he was going to meet her parents unprepared. Dying would be a better fate. Nik glanced at what he was wearing: black jeans, a leather jacket with a thin, grey sweater underneath. Great, he was going to meet them dressed down. Where was Elijah when you needed a suit?

          "Right..." Rosalie snickered a bit, not understanding why he was so on edge. It was just a family gathering, wasn't it? Speaking of family gatherings, "Hey, are you sure your siblings can't make it?"

          "No," he replied. "They're...occupied, at the moment. But they send their regards."

          She hummed, a bit sad that the other Mikaelson siblings wouldn't be able to join them. They had become quite close, in a way. The text messages weren't too frequent, and didn't feel like friendshipㅡit was more on the side of siblinghood. The type of bond wherein comfort was present without daily contact, where showing playfulness and honesty felt like a second nature.

          "Why are you so nervous?" the brunette asked, not unkindly. "They're just people. They eat, they cry, they fartㅡquite loudly too, but don't tell them I said that."

          Nik choked on a laugh, rubbing the back of his neck as he sighed. "Yeah, but they're your people. I want to make a good impression."

          She smiled, her heart melting at his words. "You don't have to worry about a single thing, Nik. I know they're going to love you."

          The pair now stood in front of the porch, the sight of it alone making his palms sweat. "Besides, I'll be right there." She smiled, "Ready to defend you from embarrassing questions."

          Nik grinned back, nerves slightly ebbing. He nodded, "Okay. I trust you."

          The simple combination of the three words sounded like a bigger deal coming from himㅡfrom him, the deadliest creature the supernatural community feared, the hybrid that could and would kill in a heartbeat. To trust a person was so sacred to him, after having so many peopleㅡfamily members and strangers and friendsㅡturn their backs on him. He had issues when it came to trusting other people; but she was not other people.

          This was Rosalie. He knew that she would always have his trust.

          She smiled at his honest statement, warmth rushing through her veins. They held eye contact for a few moments, the intimate affair disrupted by the front door opening. It was sudden, nearly causing Rosalie to jump out of her skin in shock.

          "There you are!" Mrs Monet cheered, ignoring the startled look on her daughter's face and wrapping her in a tight hug. "Oh, I really missed you so much. Though, I am upset you didn't bring Fijiㅡit's okay, I forgive you."

          Nik suppressed a laugh at the sight of Rosalie's baffled gaze, feeling amused at the mother-daughter interaction.

          "Thank you...?" Rosalie frowned, her statement sounding more like a question. "It's only been a few days, Mom. I would've brought him along, but I didn't want to put him through the stress of flying. Poor thing was traumatized on our way to New O. Cami's probably having a blast with him as we speak."

          The blonde hummed, her gaze landing on Nik, who was quietly observing the reunion a few steps away from Rosalie. She brightened, "And who is this young fellow? You didn't tell me about a boyfriend, Roㅡ"

           "Mom, this is my friend Nik." The brunette wasn't fazed at the assumption, already knowing how her mother could be. She raised her eyebrows at her daughter's response, unconvinced. The said man stepped forward, offering a hand, "Hello, Mrs Monet. I'm Nik, the friend. It's a pleasure to meet you, thank you for having me."

          He had a shy smile playing on his lips, and the blonde shook his hand. "The pleasure's all mine," Mrs Monet smiled. "We're happy to have you, please come in."

          Rosalie and Nik entered the house, the scent of baked goods filling their senses. Mrs Monet latched on to her daughter's upper arm, smiling dreamily, "He's hot, you should date him."

          "Mom!" The brunette was scandalized, murmuring an apology to the amused Mikaelson at her side. But the matriarch wasn't deterred, she looked at him, "You can call me Julianna, you know. Or we can skip the 'Welcome To The Family' party, and you can call me Mom, theㅡ"

          "Okay, that's enough." Rosalie started walking to the kitchen, supporting her mother along the way while Nik followed closely, muffling his laughter. The eldest Monet sister sent him a playful glare, causing him to smile more.

          The eldest Monet grunted lightly, trying to keep her mother walking properly. "How many drinks have you had, honestly? I'm guessing Aunt Cait and Grandma arrived."

          "Ha!" the blonde grinned. "How'd you know that? My daughter is so smart..."

          "It doesn't take a genius to figure it out, Mom. It's quite obvious when alcohol is involved."

          "Did I hear someone say alcohol?" Rosalie's aunt, Caitlyn grinned, leaning against the counter next to a bottle of champagne. Like Mrs Monet, she also had blonde hair, though it was a lighter shade. She was sporting blue jeans, and an oversized sweater that bore the words 'MERRY CHRISTMAS, YA FILTHY ANIMAL.'

          Aunt Cait walked over, giving her niece a tight embrace. Rosalie smiled at the contact, returning the warmth. The brunette saw her grandmother sitting on one of the highchairs over her aunt's shoulder, also nursing a glass of champagne.

          "Is that your boyfriend, Rosalie?" the white-haired woman grinned, teasing in a tone that was slowly becoming a Monet trademark. She neared the Mikaelson, and the poor guy leaned down to meet her height, blissfully unaware. The senior held his cheeks in both hands, "He's hot."

          Mrs Monet raised her glass, saluting at her direction before looking at her daughter with eyes that yelled 'I told you so.' Rosalie's jaw dropped, her aunt laughing as they parted from the hug.

          "Can we please stop harassing my friend?" Rosalie joked, throwing a nervous look at the Mikaelson. He looked amused, a slight tinge of red coloring his cheeks, but he wasn't running for the hills yet, so that was a good sign. "Everyone, this is Nik. Nik, that's Aunt Cait, and Grandma."

          "Thank you for having me, you have a lovely home," he said, causing the trio of light-haired ladies to grin mischievously amongst each other. Rosalie suppressed a groan at the sight of it, knowing they were getting dangerous ideas, most of which probably involved embarrassing queries.

          "You're very welcome, dear," Grandma Monet smiled kindly. "Feel free to binge on the champagne, which reminds meㅡwhere is Liz? I still need her to hook me up with that deputy, the one with a fantastic buㅡ"

          "Grandma!"

·° 。: ✰ : ·° 。

          Their smiles were forced, Rosalie frowned as she discreetly observed Alaska and Caroline at the dining table. The blondes, usually very lively and brilliant conversationalists, were quietly picking at their plates. They looked tired, and anxiousㅡfar too much for their young age. Although the pair was slowly distancing themselves from Rosalie, she never wanted them to be this miserable. The brunette has only ever wanted the best for them, more than willing to helpㅡif they would just allow her to.

          Aside from that, everything about the meal was great. Mrs Monet and Aunt Cait were fussing about Jacob's hair, who was being unsurprisingly sour about it. While Grandma was telling Alaska and Caroline stories of her youth. Once Mr Monet had squinted, analyzed, and intimidated Nik enough, the men actually got along pretty well. Her father's gaze practically had Nik shrinking in his seat, but he tried not to show it. They were still talking about something she couldn't make out.

          Rosalie smiled, the sight of her family together and well causing her to feel immensely grateful. They had a roof over their heads, no one had illnesses, and there was a feast on their tableㅡwhy wouldn't she be thankful?

          Dinner continued to be a positive affair, plates were cleared and bellies were full. Rosalie and Nik had fixed the table, the former laughing at his stories of what her family members confronted him about (what his intentions with Rosalie were, if he was single, whether or not he had an eye on someone, what he did for a living...). While Alaska, Jacob, and Caroline washed the dishes and cleaned the equipment, which was a much less happy experience due to their apparent detachment. The older adults lounged in the living room, drinking hot cocoa as they talked.

          Rosalie held his wrist, dragging Nik to the back door. She grinned mysteriously at his confused expression, not acknowledging his inquisitive gaze. He smiled, following her to sit on the ledge that led to a small backyard. The pair settled next to each other, comfortable under the bright moon and cool air. The muffled sounds of the conversations still reached them, accompanied by cricket noises in the distance.

          "Was it as bad as you'd expected?" the brunette asked in a joking tone, hands encircling her warm mug. She took a sip of the hot cocoa, adding, "Christmas here, I mean."

          Nik raised his eyebrows, "I never expected it to be bad. It was actually really nice, and I'm happy I came. You have a wonderful family."

          Her lips curled in a gentle smile, gaze trained ahead. The Monet looked so cozy in her brown woolen turtleneck, and the golden sun pendant laying proudly on it was a sight to behold. She was truly beautiful, inside and out, and Nik didn't know if he'd ever get used to her. He was well aware that those golden pools would pull him under, but he would willingly drown.

          "This is probably going to sound really crazy and stupid," Rosalie murmured as she placed her mug down, connecting her gaze to his. "But I feel like I can tell you anything. Like...I can trust you, completely, even though we just met a few weeks ago. It's just..."

          She struggled to put how she felt in words, while he waited with bated breath. "I just feel like I've known you my whole life."

          Nik shivered at her words, throat bobbing as he swallowed hard. The blond looked away, unable meet her intense gaze. She watched him compose himself, their gazes connecting once more.

           "It's not crazy or stupid, Rosalie." He exhaled, talking ever so tenderly. Nik wanted to touch her in some way. So, he raised a tentative hand, moving near her cheek. His movements were unsure, his hands were shaky, and he wasn't even touching her yet. The hybrid was terrified that she would push him away; but she didn't, only watching him in anticipation. Eventually, the wait was too much, and Rosalie leaned into his palm. His hand spanned across half of her neck, her jaw, and the lower part of her cheek, near her lips. He was setting her on fire with how his touch was affecting her, and Rosalie swore she felt the heat of flames under her skin.

          "I've missed you so much," Nik whispered softly into the night. His eyebrows were furrowed as though he couldn't believe his own words, like he couldn't believe she was right in front of him.

          Rosalie gulped. "I never went anywhere."

          Nik seemed to be moving closer, blue eyes gazing into her very core. I know, they seemed to say. It's okay, we're okay. His lips were right there, so close to her own.

           "Hey, Rosalie, can I talk to you?"

          They turned at the sound of the voice, seeing an uncomfortable Alaska near the doorway. Her arms were crossed defensively as she waited for a response. Rosalie answered with a quiet and shaky 'yeah,' before sending Nik an apologetic glance and walking towards her sister. He smiled in return.

          The eldest Monet followed her sibling. Their trek inside was quiet, nothing but laughter echoing through the hallways as other family members talked amongst themselves. Although she was feeling annoyed at Alaska's distant behavior since the accident, Rosalie was more than happy to confront her about it. Soon, they were in the blonde's room, the door closing with a gentle thud as the pair entered.

          Alaska spun around, "Listen, Roㅡ"

          "Oh, I listen?" Rosalie placed her hands on her hips, squinting. "What, you're talking to me again?"

          Alaska bit her lip, her tone pleading. "Rosalie, I have to tell you somethingㅡ"

          "It better be an explanation for why you've been so distant."

          The blonde froze, fidgeting. Rosalie's blood boiled, she literally felt like her skin was about to burst. In her entire life, she had never felt this angry, especially at her sister. The more the former prolonged the silence, the greater the latter grew more frustrated.

          "They're vampires, okay?" Alaska blurted, eyes wide. "Caroline, Elena, Stefan, Damon, the whole Mikaelson familyㅡthey're all vampires."

          It was silent.

          The Monet sisters stared at each other. Rosalie's face gave nothing away, blank and composed, while apprehension surged through Alaska. Then, laughter bounced off the walls.

          Rosalie laughed.

          Alaska blinked, shocked at the unexpected reaction. Rosalie rolled her eyes, "That's why you've been so distant? Gee, thanks for informing me. You really should've just told me you wanted to be alone instead of ignoring me completely. Ally, I swear tㅡ"

          "Yoㅡyou don't understand!" the blonde stuttered in desperation, looking a bit crazed as she stumbled forward. "Rosalie, I am seriousㅡthey're actual vampires! With fangs, anㅡ"

          "Alaskㅡ"

          "The night you came here, you were there when Caroline was sick, and Klaus healed herㅡ"

          "Who's Klaus?" Rosalie frowned.

          Alaska rolled her eyes. "Nik. I'm talking about Nik, his name is Niklaus, but most call him Klaus. He's a hybrid, by the way. Ric was also a vampire, but a different kindㅡ"

          "Jesus Christ, what the fuck are you talking about?" Rosalie ran a hand through her hair, unintentionally ruffling her curls. Her head was throbbing, it felt like she was going to explode anytime soon, and she just felt so angry.

          "I'm telling you the truth! You were there when Caroline was stabbed, weren't you? I know you were there, and no one compelled you. I was actually waiting for you to mention it, buㅡ"

          Rosalie stood up, the furious expression on her features causing the blonde to immediately stop talking. "I don't know what you're going through, but you're a real asshole for ignoring me after the accident."

          "Butㅡ" The door slammed shut before Alaska could protest, her sister's angry footsteps resounding through the hallway. Rosalie wanted to control herself, her fury, so she went to her own room.

          "You couldn't have warned me?"

          Klaus was leaning against the wall when Alaska opened her door, the sight and statement from him prompting an eye roll from her. The hybrid had his arms crossed, a calm expression on his face. Though his question was spoken quietly, it was anxious. "I didn't compel her," he added in the same volume.

          Knowing that the hallway was empty, and it was safe to have a conversation, he continued, "I've never compelled Rosalie once in my life, nor will I ever do that to her."

          For reasons unknown to Alaska, her (and her friends') once nemesis was enamoured by Rosalie. So much so, that he was nothing like the bloodthirsty hybrid they'd come to know when the eldest Monet was in the same area as him. The reverence for Rosalie wasn't even limited to Niklaus, but all of the Mikaelson siblings seemed to have a soft spot for her, despite meeting for the first time at the Mikaelson Ball. Eventually, the brunette herself became a common ground for themㅡa person both sides wanted safe. There had been an unspoken agreement to keep Rosalie safe. Klaus's desire for Rosalie's well-being still surprised Alaska everytime he showed itㅡthat he was capable of caring for an actual person.

          "Then," Alaska muttered. "Who did? Caroline couldn't have done it herselfㅡshe was too exhausted to do that, and even otherwise, I know she wouldn't keep it from me."

          "It wasn't Stefan, either."

          "How would you know that?" she leaned against the door frame, crossing her arms like his.

           His expression darkened. "I made sure of it. What about the other one? Damon?"

          Alaska snorted. "He wouldn't dare doing such a thing without my knowledge. What about your siblings?"

          The hybrid rolled his eyes at the idea, "Not a chance. They might be a pain in my arse, but they know better than to do that to her."

          Stiff. Brief. Critical. To an outsider, they sounded like they were interrogating each other without giving their complete trust; but, at least they were honest in their statements, and the pair actually managed to communicate effectively.

          Alaska frowned. "If no one compelled her, then why doesn't she remember what happened that day?"

          "Maybe there's another vampire in town?" the Monet suggested, knowing that that would be an additional threat.

          "My hybrids would've told me," the Original shook his head. "Even if there were other vampires, why would they come near Rosalie?"

          Silence passed between the pair, both wondering what had happened, thinking what they missed. A variety of possibilities and thoughts ran through their minds, neither voicing a probable case.

          "You should've seen the look in her eyes," Alaska whispered, eyes glossed over. "She was so angry."

          Klaus didn't reply, so she continued.

          "I really do want her to know the truth, believe it or not. I know I should've told her the moment she arrived, but I just...couldn't. It's selfish, I know, but I missed her so much, and shㅡsheㅡ"

          She wiped a tear away, sniffling. The hybrid looked as uncomfortable as he felt. He really didn't want to be offensive, but he never imagined to be in this situation. Rosalie's sister was crying in front of him. What was he even supposed to do? Hug her?

          "Hey," he mumbled, trying to sound gentle. He really wished Rosalie was here to help himㅡshe was the more comforting one out of the pair, so he'd been told a few times. "It's not your fault, okay? It's a difficult decision for anyone. You shouldn't even be dealing with this type of issues, you're still a teenager. You should be worrying about college, and boy problems, and math..."

          Alaska looked amused, a breathy chuckle escaping her through the tears. He was showing the caring side of him again, even if the unfamiliarity of it made him look like he was constipated. The thought made her bite back a snicker.

          Klaus swallowed, gaze connecting with hers. "And I...I'm sorry for playing a part in your misery, even if it was unintentional. I truly am."

          It took everything to keep her jaw from dropping.

          He sighed, shaking his head a bit. "You were just trying to protect Rosalie, like the rest of us. Hell, I couldn't blame you for acting selfish just to be around her."

          A strange look appeared on his face, a cross between longing and regret. He looked so wounded and pained that Alaska had started to wonder what had caused him such despair. It was related to her sister, she knew that much; but what? He'd never even met Rosalie until she came to Mystic Falls. Whatever it was, it would be stupid to question his devotion to the brunette.

          "You really love her." Alaska murmured, looking at him with furrowed eyebrows.

          "That's an understatement," Klaus smiled slightly, and Alaska swore he had a dreamy look on his face. Surprisingly, his voice was still kind as he spoke, "It's not your fault. You should get some rest, it's late."

          She nodded, rubbing her eyes, which were now free of tears. The blonde only then realized how tired she was, the events of the day wearing her down. But Klaus called her attention before she could turn around.

          "Is it okay with you if I try to talk to her about the whole...you know..." He gestured around his face, making the girl tilt her head in confusion. Klaus rolled his eyes, mouthing the word 'vampire.'

           "Oh. Yeah."

           The hybrid nodded, pushing himself from the wall to leave. "Klaus?" Alaska mumbled, causing him to turn, gaze questioning.

          "Thank you."

be kind.

➥ please consider voting and/or commenting to support the story, thank you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

326K 19K 41
You live in a different time zone Think I know what this is It's just the time's wrong
215K 1.1K 199
Mature content
136K 4.9K 24
فيصل بحده وعصبيه نطق: ان ماخذيتك وربيتك ماكون ولد محمد الوجد ببرود وعناد : ان مارفضتك ماكون بنت تركي !
200K 4.5K 67
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad