The Complication

Od CharlieFenwick

"Am I the 'complication'?" Data asked. Following the events on Ligon II, Data struggles to reconcile the disc... Viac

The Complication
The Variable
The Regulations
The Holodeck
Blue Skies
Moonbeam
The Cherry
Indubitably
Promise Me
Three Words
The Hunt
Speckle
The Truth
Memories
The Storm
Justice
The Heist
Home
Questions
Family
Nine Decks or Ninety-Thousand Lightyears
The Game
In The Shadow Of The Moon
The Hearing Part One
The Hearing Part Two
The Hearing Part Three
If You Give a Tribble a Piece of Grain
The Ruling
Angel One
Angel One: Part Two
The Romulan Incident
From Romulus With Love
Keep A Cool Head
Down the Rabbit Hole
When It Rains, It Shines
Dissonance and Resolution
The Unknown
Parents
The Reunion
The Little Things
And Miles to Go Before I Sleep
Why?
The Sweet Taste of Chaos
Train Ride
The Finite Nature
The Command Conference
The Distraction
The Ghost Ship
The Battle Within
The Big Goodbye
Datalore - Part One
Datalore - Part Two
Hope Lies In Dreams
Hollow Pursuits
The Void
Beneath the Surface
What Lurks Below
The Joke's On Me
The Joker Is Wild
Too Short a Season
The Priority
All Things Bright and Beautiful
Life As We Know It
All That Glitters
Try A Little Tenderness
The Appendix
Blast From The Past
The Petty Bickering
Bit of Sunshine
Requiem For a Butterfly
Keep the Home Fires Burning
The Cold Truth
The Shield
With Great Power...
Shadow
Mummy Dearest
All Kinds of Weather
Bosom Buddies
Coming of Age
The Uncertainty Principle
The Secrets We Keep
Heart of Glory
Honour Amongst Friends
Arsenal of Freedom
Diabolus ex Machina
The Workbench of Prometheus
Evermore
Sucker Punch
Conquest
As Luck Would Have It
Fortune Favours the Bold
Nature Boy
Stardust
Normal Parameters
Drop the Shields
In the Club
The Late Lieutenant La Forge
Captain, Simple Tailor, Romulan Spy
When Time Runs Out
Two Roads Diverged
Linger On Your Pale Blue Eyes
The Heart Thief
One Minute to Midnight
Blackstar
The Road Not Taken
No Win Scenario
Wander
Untamed
Promises Made...
... Promises Kept
Interlude in the Neutral Zone
Just In Time
Long Before You Miss Me
Softly as I Leave You
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
Old Friends, New Enemies
Countdown

Time In A Bottle

36 3 17
Od CharlieFenwick

Author's Note: Thank you for the likes, kudos, comments, and messages on Twitter!

A note re: stardates:

I have attempted to carefully stick within the timeline of in-universe stardates. However, in my research for this story I noticed that the First Series stardates are completely arbitrary.

For example, Skin of Evil (AKA the episode that shall not be named) occurred at an earlier in-universe stardate than Angel One, Arsenal of Freedom, The Battle, and The Big Goodbye.

So, please don't flame me when Stardates come up – I'll be sticking with established dates in canon even though they bounce around. For dates in my own original adventures, I'll be trying to squeeze them in accordingly.

Fun references in this chapter:

I've named the planet/system 'Heboyd' after the Stargate SG-1 character Henry Boyd. This little arc was loosely inspired by the SG-1 episodes A Matter of Time and The Pegasus Project. In the former, Boyd and his team are trapped off-world by the sudden formation of a black hole – a haunting image that is visible to his fellow SG members via video link. I wanted to drop in an Easter Egg for that.

Astronomy Domine is the name of a Pink Floyd song.

'Ten Aft' is a play on Ten Forward.

(Fortunately, in our story the heroes will always emerge victorious.)

As always, if you like my works or want to stay up to date with my art, comics, or just like chatting about the fandom you can join me @TheTartanTart on Twitter.

----------

"Let's check in with the Enterprise and let them know we've started," Riker said.

The shuttle was hovering within the stratosphere of one of Heboyd V's moons. The team had launched their first set of probes and were analysing a series of readings from orbit.

Worf opened a subspace channel.

"Shuttlepod two to Enterprise," Worf said.

There was no response.

"Shuttlepod two to Enterprise," Worf repeated.

Again, there was only silence.

"Enterprise, this is Riker. We have started our readings, please respond," Riker said.

Commander Riker racked his brain for an explanation.

They were within a close enough range that subspace communication should have been almost instantaneous.

Data was in the back portion of the shuttle with Geordi, Miles, and Wesley. Wesley and Geordi were working to prepare the next set of probes while Miles and Data analysed the incoming readings.

Miles gave a long, low whistle.

"It really is summat," Miles remarked as he logged their first batch of scans. "These gravitational readings are massive."

"Seems like they've increased since the last time this area was surveyed," Geordi said.

He'd been listening to Miles and Data read off some of the early numbers. Geordi was eager to wrap up their work on the next probe group so that he could get a look too.

"It has been several years since the last survey team was in this area. They also did not conduct such an extensive scan," Data advised.

"Data?" Riker hollered from the front of the shuttle.

He excused himself from the group and approached the helm of the shuttle.

After Commander Riker explained the struggle with the communications array, Data blinked twice as he ran some calculations.

"It is possible that the high concentration of atmospheric gases could be interfering with communications," Data theorised.

Although there were a number of possibilities, interference from the gases was the most likely cause of the problem. Data's positronic brain calculated a 79.2% chance that this was the reason for interference.

In total, Data theorised eighteen possible causes. However, years of studying human behaviour had taught him that in situations such as this, humans generally didn't want to review all possible scenarios.

"So, we need to resume orbit?" Riker inquired.

Data explained that the unique makeup of the moon's atmosphere included several gasses known to absorb subspace communication waves.

"Once we are free of the atmosphere, we should try again," Data advised.

----------

"Riker to Enterprise, please respond," Riker said.

Commander Riker and Worf looked at one another.

The team had completed their readings on the first moon and were back out in open space.

They had been trying to raise the Enterprise via subspace communication for over fifteen minutes without success.

Chief O'Brien ran a series of diagnostic scans and determined there were no issues with the equipment.

"It is possible the Enterprise is not in a position to receive communications," Data offered.

Riker nodded in understanding.

As the Federation flagship, it was entirely possible that the Enterprise had received a hail or orders to report elsewhere. However, it was odd that she had not radioed the team to notify them of the change in plan.

"Should we head back to the rendezvous point and wait?" Worf asked.

"Why?" Geordi questioned. "If the ship isn't there, why would we wait around when we could finish our mission here?"

Geordi had a point.

It would do them no good to sit around for another thirty hours when they could use the time to complete their mission.

Geordi was sitting on his knees in the back of the shuttle next to one of the probes. Wesley was directly across from him as they outfitted the next set of probes for deployment. The advanced sensors they had designed for this mission had a limited lifespan due to the gravitational stress. In order to maximise that time to their advantage, they were installing the probe sensor arrays right before deployment.

"She likes cargo bay rock," Wes said as he soldered the connection between the visual sensor and the probe.

Geordi was puzzled.

"Cargo bay rock?" Geordi asked

Wesley nodded.

"You haven't heard of cargo bay rock? It's all anyone is talking about!" Wesley explained.

It's official. I am getting old. Geordi mused to himself.

"It's like that heavy metal Andorian stuff but more electric lute," Wesley went on. "And it's usually played in cargo bays. Real underground, yanno?"

Geordi finished his initial test of the power coupling and set down his scanner.

"No, I don't know," Geordi admitted.

"Well, there's a concert next week in Ten Aft and Astronomy Domine is playing," Wesley informed him.

Geordi laughed.

"Guinan's pretty relaxed but I can't see her allowing a rock concert in Ten Forward," Geordi said in disbelief.

Wesley grinned.

"It's in Ten Aft," Wesley clarified.

Geordi was now completely lost.

There was no lounge in the back of the ship on deck ten.

"Very funny, did Commander Riker put you up to this?" Geordi asked.

Geordi was no stranger to Commander Riker's practical jokes. The idea of Geordi taking a date to the cargo storage bay on the back of the ship for an imaginary concert seemed like exactly the kind of practical joke Riker would pull.

But if it was truly a joke, Wesley was doing a swell job of selling it.

He claimed that Ten Aft was, in fact, a real place where a series of underground concerts had taken place in the last few months. Wesley asserted that Guinan was a regular and was happy to serve her stash of real alcohol – including a few signature musically-inspired cocktails – for the patrons.

"You mean you've never been to Ten Aft?" Wesley asked in astonishment.

"Wes, I'm not buying it. The only thing on deck ten in the rear of the ship is," Geordi paused.

Wesley was nodding slowly, encouraging him as realisation dawned on Geordi.

"A cargo bay," Geordi finished slowly.

"Commander Riker's there all the time," Wes said with a grin.

From the front of the shuttle, Riker had heard his name.

"Ten Aft? Love it!" Riker called back.

Geordi shook his head.

Of course, Riker had been there.

Geordi was certain that if three ensigns had a party in a Jefferies tube junction Riker would know about.

"Data's been there once or twice," Wesley said.

Geordi turned around to look up at Data.

"That true?" he asked.

Data paused logging his scan readings to look down at Geordi.

"Lieutenant Yar has a peculiar fondness for Klingon death metal," Data said, his voice tainted with a hint of mild disparagement.

Geordi was having trouble hiding his amusement.

"I find the heavy distortion, anthemic choruses, and harsh vocals to be-" Data paused as if searching for the correct word. "Not entirely pleasant."

"You know you don't have to like it? It's okay if it's not your thing," Geordi offered.

Data cocked his head to the side.

"I would rather be subjected to the minor tone atonality in the cargo bay than in my quarters," Data replied.

Data's face soured.

"Recently she began attempting to teach herself to play the Gat'leth," Data said with concern.

A Gat'leth was a Klingon instrument. The body was shaped like a Bat'leth with a long neck similar to a guitar. It had eight strings and was a common feature among Klingon and Andorian rock bands.

"She has not been entirely successful," Data added.

Geordi choked back a laugh.

Data was an accomplished musician and always eager to help. Tasha was the type of person that liked to do everything on her own – and could get fairly testy if someone tried to interfere.

Geordi could only imagine how hard it must be for Data to sit there and listen without intervening.

"So anyways, I think you should ask her if she wants to go next week. Like I said, Astronomy Domine is playing and she's really into-" Wes went on.

"Wes, we've already been over this. I'm too old for her. This is proof!" Geordi exclaimed.

He groaned and let his head fall back.

"I mean...if you were talking to me. And I don't know who 'she' is anyways," Geordi added quickly.

He grabbed a sonic driver and resumed working on outfitting the probe.

Even Data was keen enough to see right through that poor attempt at deflection.

Wesley looked up at him and frowned.

"Sonya," Wes said. "You know 'I threw in those crisps you liked' Sonya. Sonya Gomez."

Geordi sat back and sighed.

"I said I didn't want to-" he protested.

"I just meant she likes spending time with you," Wesley replied. "I'm not saying you have to ask her on a date."

Wes reached for the decoupler to check that the input buffers were properly synchronised.

"But you should," he added with a wicked grin.

Geordi felt his face flush.

"I said I don't want to talk about it," Geordi replied through gritted teeth.

Wesley stopped.

"Look Geordi, I'm sorry. I just think that-" Wes started to say but Geordi cut him off.

"Ah, ah! I don't want to hear it!" Geordi snapped.

Data surmised that now would be an appropriate time to intervene.

"Wesley, if Geordi does not wish to discuss the topic then we should honour that request," Data cautioned.

Geordi breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thanks, Data," Geordi said.

"However, Wesley is correct," Data added before turning back to his log.

Geordi grumbled incoherently and resumed working on the probe in silence.

----------

Worf and Commander Riker were still having no luck in raising the Enterprise.

They had attempted to adjust the frequency but were still unable to make contact.

"This was supposed to be a routine mission," Riker muttered.

Worf cocked an eyebrow at him.

"Routine?" he said in a low voice. "On this ship?"

Riker begrudgingly nodded in agreement.

Feeling he had no alternative left, Riker decided it was time to shift gears. The team would have to devote some of their manpower away from the mission to solve the communication problem.

He needed Data's processing capacity.

"Data? We're going to need you up here for a moment," Riker said as he called out to the back of the shuttle.

Data nodded in acknowledgement and moved to the front of the shuttle.

Standing behind the two men at the controls, Data was ready to offer assistance.

Commander Riker explained that they were still unable to reach the Enterprise.

Despite Worf's best efforts to finagle a solution, they were at a loss.

Data's brain was in overdrive as he considered various theories as to why their subspace communications had gone unanswered.

In the back of his head, a theory crept in and settled as an unwelcome possibility.

"Sir, with your permission I would like to modify one of the probes and launch it at high velocity back toward the rendezvous point," Data explained.

Riker nodded.

"Do you have a theory you care to share with the rest of the class?" Riker inquired.

The strain of the increased gravitational pull in the system was unlike anything Data had ever experienced before. It was one of the reasons he had been so keen to join the team studying the system.

"Not at this time, sir," Data stated.

Internally, he hoped he was not right.

----------

"Anything on sensors yet?" Captain Picard inquired.

The Enterprise had been at the nebula for several hours when the shuttlecraft missed a scheduled radio check-in.

It was nearly eight hours overdue for communication from the away team.

Captain Picard had ordered them to cut their study of the nebula short in order to return to the rendezvous point.

Although they were not due to pick up the shuttle for another twenty-seven hours, Captain Picard did not want to take any chances.

From their location, subspace communication should have been simultaneous.

Although some of the planets and moons they would visit may provide atmospheric interference, eight hours was far longer than acceptable to go without communication.

Captain Picard considered that the shuttle may be experiencing gravitational problems that were impacting its ability to respond. The Enterprise had carefully timed her own mission to ensure they could reach the shuttle before any catastrophic failure.

At the Tactical station, Tasha suppressed the rising feeling of alarm that had crept into her thoughts. Communication errors were common – especially in the type of atmosphere the away team was working in.

However, it was hard not to speculate.

Monitoring her console, Tasha could see there were no visible threats in the area. This system wasn't one that was typically traversed. Its unusually strong gravitational stresses were more than most ships could handle. It was lightyears from any Ferengi, Cardassian, Romulan, or Breen operations.

It wasn't even conveniently sandwiched between trading posts, meaning it was unlikely there were any smuggling operations trekking through the area.

That said, Tasha recognised that new threats could crop up at any time.

It was possible they had encountered someone or something that the Federation had never seen before.

It was equally as possible that they had experienced an equipment malfunction and were perfectly fine.

Data had often said that the beginning of wisdom was admitting one did not know.

Sure doesn't feel like it. Tasha thought to herself.

She wanted answers.

At the very least, she wouldn't have to wait long.

They were less than an hour out from the rendezvous point.

Once they arrived, they should be capable of picking up the shuttle on long-range sensors.

----------

Back on the shuttle, Data made the final preparations to his probe and launched it back toward the direction of the rendezvous point.

As the minutes ticked by, the rest of the crew aboard the shuttle continued to analyse their initial readings from the first moon.

They were due to get moving to the next moon, but Data had requested Commander Riker wait fifteen minutes for him to work on his probe. Commander Riker was starting to suspect there was something Data wasn't telling him – and that in itself left an unsettling feeling.

Riker knew Data likely had a good reason for playing it coy. He was concerned that Data's secrecy was an effort to mitigate panic until he knew more.

It would do no good for everyone to get excited if his theory was incorrect.

But it still left Riker concerned.

From the back of the shuttle, Data continued to monitor the probe. He tracked each millisecond as it travelled further and further from the shuttle.

To his dismay, the distance travelled by the probe did not match the actual amount of time that had passed in the shuttle compared to Data's chronometer.

As it continued to travel, the variation grew larger, and Data couldn't reconcile the difference.

With all available evidence, Data knew there could only be one reason behind the mysterious time difference.

"Whoa," Miles said suddenly. "These readings are pretty intense compared to what I was expecting."

Geordi got up from the floor and scurried over to the science station.

"And they're growing," he said with alarm.

His brow furrowed as he tried to theorise what could possibly be causing such a rapid growth in the gravitational strain on the ship.

"There must be something big out there creating this kind of pull," Miles suggested.

Geordi didn't hesitate. It took him only a few seconds to calculate that if the gravitational strain continued, the hull of the shuttle would crack long before the rendezvous time.

"Commander, we need to turn back now!" Geordi exclaimed.

He tapped the communications array.

"La Forge to Enterprise," Geordi said. "We need to request an emergency pickup. We're experiencing extreme gravitational stress and it's growing."

He looked at Commander Riker, worry etched in his features.

"Sir, we need to get out of here now," Geordi insisted.

"No, we cannot," Data said suddenly.

----------

Tasha shifted in the First Officer's chair. Her shift had been completed hours ago but she had refused to leave the Bridge.

With Commander Riker and Data gone on the shuttle, she was acting First Officer.

To her relief, Captain Picard had permitted her to remain on the Bridge.

After reaching the rendezvous point, the Enterprise had still been unable to establish radio contact with the shuttle's away team.

Everyone was on edge, and they were no closer to finding a solution.

They had officially reached the twenty-four-hour mark since the away team's departure – and that was over twelve hours ago.

It was close to midnight and both Tasha and Captain Picard were getting close to forty hours without sleep. Tasha could feel she was running on fumes – but her concern was more than enough fuel to keep her running until she crashed.

Despite expanding the scanner sensibilities, they still weren't able to get a read on the shuttle's location.

Worst of all, there was no way the Enterprise could get closer without risking hull integrity.

"What if we were to warp in, take a quick scan, and then retreat?" Picard suggested. "What would you say, Lieutenant?"

Tasha looked over at the Captain.

"Sir, we would lose shield integrity and drain our power reserves before we could escape," Tasha replied.

Geordi had made that abundantly clear during his briefing on the matter.

It wasn't the answer Picard had wanted to hear, but he knew she was right. And Tasha knew the Captain well enough to understand he was looking for options.

"What if Engineering were to outfit a probe? Send in something smaller that could handle the increased gravitational strain?" Tasha offered.

Picard nodded in agreement.

"You have the Bridge, Lieutenant," Picard ordered. "I have a call to pay on Engineering. We need answers."

----------

Stepping off the turbolift, Picard felt a sense of relief.

They still didn't know what the situation was regarding the shuttle, but it felt good to be doing something. There was nothing he hated more than waiting around.

Turning the corner, he collided with something – or rather someone – and found himself drenched in something hot and sticky.

Looking down, the front of his uniform was covered.

"Oh no! Oh, I am so sorry, Captain," a voice squeaked.

Picard growled in frustration as Ensign Sonya Gomez panicked over spilling a steaming mug of hot cocoa down the front of his uniform.

She was a newer addition to the crew and Picard had found her to be a ball of nervous energy.

"I wasn't even looking! Gods, Captain. I'm not even supposed to have this in here! I know that, sir. I promise it won't happen again," she said rapidly. "It's all over you!"

"Yes, Ensign," Picard grumbled.

"Let me get something to clean this up," Sonya said as she set her mug down on the nearest console. "Ugh! First impressions are always such a doozy. I'm not usually like this, sir. I'm just really nervous about the away team and-"

She was attempting to mop up the spilled liquid with a flannel from the medical kit.

Picard's hand shot out and caught her arm.

"Ensign, please," Picard said tersely. "I will simply change my uniform."

Sonya stopped and nodded meekly.

"Who's in charge right now in Engineering?" Picard inquired.

He was on a mission and wasn't about to stop over a wee bit of spilled cocoa.

Sonya swallowed hard.

"Um...at the moment?" Sonya replied as she scratched the back of her head. "I guess that would be me."

Sonya knew what was coming. Captain Picard was going to put her on report for sure.

"But Lieutenant Vance will be back at 08:00," Sonya explained. "I understand completely and accept full responsibility for my actions."

The line of the Captain's lips thinned.

"Ensign, please," he replied in a perturbed tone. "I need you to outfit a probe to be launched in search of the shuttle."

"Oh? Yeah, yeah! I can do that," Sonya said brightly.

"How long?" Picard asked.

Sonya stood at attention.

"I've been aboard the Enterprise for three months," Sonya answered.

Picard closed his eyes.

"The probe, Ensign. ETA on the probe," Picard demanded.

"Oh, right!" Sonya said, feeling foolish.

She did some quick calculations in her head – Main Engineering was on a skeleton crew overnight.

"Three hours," she replied. "Probably two if I have permission to call in Lieutenants Caldor and Siddiqui. They were the team that helped us prepare the shuttle."

"Make it so," Picard ordered.

----------

After changing into a fresh uniform, Picard returned to the Bridge.

Resuming his position in the Command Chair, he was disappointed to learn that there had still been no sign of the team on long-range sensors.

"Sir, what if I were to take a shuttle in and run some scans?" Tasha recommended.

"We don't have another shuttle equipped to handle the extreme gravitational stress," Picard replied.

She hated that he was right.

"That's true, but we could boost the shields using one of the remote energy capacitors. It couldn't be a long mission, but it might buy an hour or so at warp four," Tasha pondered aloud.

It wasn't a great plan, but she hated sitting around.

She cursed herself that she didn't have Data's supercomputing power. Tasha was certain he would have figured out what to do by now.

Tasha smiled to herself. The thought actually brought her a small bit of comfort.

At the very least, the away team had Data with them. He probably had figured out what was happening and was working on a solution to get them home.

"Sir, we're picking up a hail," Ensign Jeffords advised from the Tactical station.

Tasha felt her heart skip a beat.

"It's from the shuttle!" Jeffords added eagerly.

"Patch it through," Picard ordered.

Jeffords keyed in the appropriate command and raised the volume so the Bridge could hear the audio transmission.

For several seconds they sat in silence.

"Trouble, Ensign?" Tasha inquired.

Jeffords had only recently begun working at the Tactical station and was still quite green.

"No, sir," he replied. "This is the hail. Audio frequency is-"

He stopped as they heard the audio begin.

Everyone listened with anticipation as the low, garbled message began to play.

"Shuttlepod two to Enterprise," a voice said.

The message was spoken so slowly it was as if the audio file was being played at a fraction of the speed of which it would normally be spoken.

"Shuttlepod two to Enterprise," it repeated.

Listening intently, Tasha thought it sounded like Commander Riker's voice.

Her suspicion was confirmed a moment later.

"Enterprise, this is Riker. We have started our readings, please respond," Riker said.

His voice was still distorted.

"Can you clean up the audio?" Picard asked.

"Negative, sir," Jeffords replied. "The audio file is not damaged, nor do I detect any interference."

Captain Picard tapped his communicator pin and radioed Ensign Gomez down in Engineering. He advised that they had received a problematic transmission from the away team. Jeffords relayed the audio to Engineering.

"I'd like you to have a team look into this, Ensign Gomez," Picard ordered. "I want an explanation for the transmission's distortion."

"Acknowledged, sir," Gomez replied.

----------

Shortly before 04:00, the turbolift doors slid open and Beverly Crusher stepped onto the Bridge.

Strolling over to the Command Chair, she eyed the Captain and Security Chief carefully.

"I'm here to relieve you," Beverly stated.

"I don't recall ordering that," Picard replied.

The way in which she crossed her arms signalled that she wasn't going anywhere.

"Doctor, your offer is appreciated but unnecessary," Picard explained. "Engineering launched a probe an hour ago and we should be getting readings from the area soon."

"I'm a Bridge officer too," Beverly protested. "And unlike the two of you, I've actually slept."

"We're fine," Tasha insisted.

There was no way she could sleep at a time like this.

To Captain Picard's frustration, Beverly threatened to pull rank.

"Don't make me order you off the Bridge," Beverly warned. "There's so much paperwork involved."

They stared at one another for a moment.

"But if you don't cooperate, I won't hesitate," Beverly said defiantly.

Captain Picard knew it was a losing battle.

"Fine," Picard agreed. "You have the Bridge, Doctor. I need to check in with Engineering and then I assure you I will get some rest."

"You'll need someone to fill-" Tasha started to say.

She stopped abruptly after a sharp look from Doctor Crusher.

"My son is on that shuttle too," Beverly advised. "We're only going to get through this by sharing the load."

----------

"How's it going?" Captain Picard asked.

Sonya jumped back from the console, startled by the Captain's sudden presence.

"Erm, good sir," she stammered.

Her smile dropped.

"Not good," Sonya said.

She shifted her weight from one foot to the other.

"Sir, there's a problem with the probe," Sonya admitted.

She turned back to the console and pulled up a schematic of the stellar cartography of the area.

"This is where we are," Sonya said as she tapped a small orb on the LCARs screen.

Captain Picard nodded.

Sonya traced a line from the ship to a small blue orb.

"And this is the probe," she explained.

She continued to trace along a line of trajectory and then stopped a red mark on the screen.

"This is where the probe should be," Sonya said as she tapped the screen twice.

Judging by the space covered, it appeared the probe had only travelled a fraction of the distance it should have within the timeframe since launch.

"Has it malfunctioned? Or encountered some sort of resistance that's damaged it?" Picard inquired.

Sonya shook her head.

"I don't think so," Sonya said.

She explained that she had conducted a series of tests to verify the probe's location. There was no sensor malfunction or damage. But there was a discrepancy between the time since the launch of the probe and the distance it had travelled compared to the Enterprise's records.

Sonya was speaking quickly, and it was hard for the Captain to keep up with how fast the wheels inside her head were turning.

"It's like the probe is at a different point in time," Sonya informed him.

"Time travel?" Picard asked.

He'd had more than his fair share of time travel gobbledy gook theories lately and was not amused by the notion.

To his relief, Sonya responded in the negative.

"Not time travel per say," Sonya said. "Remember, time is relative. This is more like time dilation. But as to what could possibly be causing it, I have no idea. I'm an antimatter specialist not temporal mechanics."

"And I'm an archaeologist that happens to be a Starship Captain," Picard quipped.

He put his hand on Sonya's shoulder. Jean-Luc could see she needed some encouragement.

"You may be an antimatter specialist, but right now you are the officer in charge of Main Engineering," Picard said with a smile. "I know you can figure this out."

Picard reluctantly left with orders for her to give him an update in an hour.

----------

Rather than returning to his quarters, Jean-Luc's feet carried him to Ten Forward.

He didn't typically take meals there, but he knew Guinan would be up and wanted a friendly face.

The lounge was largely deserted – a group of the overnight Operations team was sitting in the back corner.

The bar itself was empty except for a sole Security Guard nursing a drink. She was in deep conversation with the El-Aurian, their heads bowed as they discussed something intently.

Out of the corner of her eye, Guinan spied the Captain.

Tasha didn't turn to face him. Instead, she braced herself for an oncoming reprimand for not heading to quarters straightaway.

"You were ordered to rest, Lieutenant," Picard said as he slipped into the chair next to her.

"I won't tell space mom if you don't," Tasha replied without looking up from her drink.

Guinan slid a glass of a dark red wine before pouring one for herself.

"Sláinte," she toasted.

The three raised their glasses before taking a swig.

Jean-Luc sputtered for a moment before recovering.

"It's the real stuff," Guinan advised. "I had a feeling you'd need a nightcap to sleep."

"I have to be on the Bridge in three hours," Picard protested.

Guinan chuckled and shook her head.

"You had better be asleep in three hours," she replied. "I've got orders from a higher power."

Beverly.

Picard didn't need confirmation to know that Beverly had likely contacted Guinan with instructions to ensure he relaxed before making his way to bed.

"Ensign Gomez thinks there's some kind of time dilation effect," Picard explained.

"Sonya Gomez?" Tasha inquired.

"Hey, no shop talk," Guinan warned.

"Fine," Tasha replied.

She took a sip of her whiskey.

"You know her?" Picard asked.

Guinan cocked an eyebrow at the Captain.

"What did I just say?" Guinan cautioned.

"It's a perfectly legitimate question," Picard protested.

Silence fell on the trio. For the Captain and Security Chief, it was no easy task to 'turn off' at the end of the day – especially when there was an away team missing.

Tasha wasn't sure if it was the exhaustion or whiskey, but she found herself slipping into casual conversation.

"Data's been trying to set her up with Geordi," Tasha said suddenly.

Captain Picard was just about to take a sip of wine when he paused.

He turned and looked at Lieutenant Yar expectantly.

Lieutenant La Forge's recent string of bad luck in the dating world was common knowledge. Captain Picard couldn't understand it – Geordi was a good officer, a handsome young man, and great to be around.

"Lieutenant La Forge? And Ensign Gomez?" Picard asked in disbelief.

Tasha laughed and nodded.

While struggling to hide her grin, she straightened her posture.

"He has calculated they are compatible," Tasha said in her best impression of the Lieutenant Commander.

Captain Picard's body shook with genuine laughter.

"She's brilliant," Picard advised. "Nervous, but brilliant."

After the hot cocoa incident, Picard had been curious about her background.

"While we've been waiting around, I glanced through her personnel record," Picard explained. "She's an antimatter expert. Graduated top of her class at the Academy eight months ago. Temporary assignment on Starbase 173 before Lieutenant La Forge requested her for his team."

He paused to take a sip of his wine.

"But she talks so fast sometimes it's hard to keep up," Picard confessed.

Tasha grinned.

"Sir, she could talk as slow as that transmission and I still wouldn't be able to keep up," Tasha joked.

Tasha wasn't usually this relaxed during a crisis, but there was something about being around Guinan that set her at ease.

"It's not that I mind your company, but the two of you look awful," Guinan said. "You want me to make these drinks to-go? I can do takeaway."

Before either of them could respond, the Captain's combadge pinged.

"Bridge to Captain Picard," Beverly's voice rang out.

"Go ahead, Doctor," Picard replied.

"We've just received another communication from the away team," Beverly advised.

Captain Picard ordered that they patch it through to Ten Forward.

Just as before, the message was slow and garbled as if the person speaking was in slow motion.

"La Forge to Enterprise," Geordi's voice said in the transmission. "We need to request an emergency pickup. We're experiencing extreme gravitational stress and it's growing."

Tasha and the Captain looked at one another.

It was impossible to hide the fear in her face.

If the shuttle was experiencing extreme gravitational stress, why hadn't they made it out to the rendezvous point for pickup?

Picard tapped his combadge and hailed Ensign Gomez down in Main Engineering. He advised that they had received another transmission from the away team.

"Computer, patch through a copy of the transmission to Main Engineering," Picard ordered. "Lieutenant Yar and I are on our way down."

Guinan looked at the pair disapprovingly.

"You need to rest," Guinan advised. "Something tells me there's time to figure this out."

"As I was recently reminded, time is relative," Picard replied.

----------

Extreme gravitational stress and it's growing.

Geordi's transmission echoed in Sonya's mind.

"Ensign Gomez?" Lieutenant Siddiqui called out. "I've completed my analysis of the first probe readings. The gravitational constant of the area surrounding the probe as doubled. It's being pulled toward something big."

"A planet?" Sonya inquired.

"Bigger," Siddiqui replied. "Much, much bigger."

It's growing.

Sonya's brain began to fire rapidly.

Her brain was going a lightyear a minute. Sonya knew she had to warn the Captain.

In a panic, she rushed out of Engineering.

"Ensign?" Siddiqui called out.

Sonya raced around the corner for the lift.

As soon as it opened, she ran headfirst into the Captain and stumbled back.

"Sir, it's expanding!" Sonya cried. "It's going to reach its mass limit and collapse!"

"Sonya, Sonya slow down," Tasha said in a soothing voice.

----------

The shuttle lurched forward with a disturbing creak.

"What was that?" Riker asked.

"That was our sublight engines failing," Worf advised. "We are being pulled toward an unknown something."

"Bring them back online," Riker commanded.

"They are online, sir," Worf replied.

"They can't take the strain," O'Brien reported.

The Chief rolled up his sleeves and opened the access panel that controlled the shuttle engine function.

"Attempting to divert power from the environmental controls to give them a boost," Miles explained.

All of sudden, Geordi blanched.

"Whoa! Whoa! What the hell is that?" Geordi said pointing out in the inky void of space.

Worf and Commander Riker scanned the viewscreen.

Wesley raced to the front of the shuttle.

"I don't see anything!" Wes said.

In the back, Data was unphased as he continued to furiously work on one a class one probe. His fingers were moving rapidly as he stripped away the wiring to boost the shield.

"It's out there. It's huge," Geordi said, frightened.

"Something is emerging on sensors," Wes cautioned as he scanned the controls.

There was a flash of light as a glowing spiral began to emerge from the darkness of space.

"What in the name of Kahless is that?" Worf asked, voicing their mutual concern.

"Jaysus," Miles breathed in astonishment as he dropped his sonic driver.

"Data!" Riker shouted.

The Lieutenant Commander had been conspicuously uninterested in watching the object that was appearing in front of them and Riker suspected it was because Data had been anticipating it.

In truth, it wasn't that Data was uninterested. It was with great regret that he had kept his attention focused on the probe in his hands. He knew he had missed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to view the creation of such a phenomenon at close range.

"Data!" Riker repeated.

"I apologise, sir but I need to get off this ship," Data said sternly.

"We all need to get out of here," Riker replied. "Chief, get those engines working."

"Belay that order," Data commanded without turning away from his work.

Riker looked taken aback.

It wasn't like Data to question a fellow officer publicly in such a fashion.

"Sir, it is imperative that we divert all power to the shields," Data said.

"Data! You better have a damn good explanation for-" Riker fumed.

He was tired of being out of the loop.

They were all scared. Although he had been patient with Data's effort to mitigate fear, it was pointless now. Something unknown was out there and they were stranded.

"We are less than four kilometres from the event horizon of a recently formed black hole," Data informed him.

A collective metaphorical punch to the gut was shared by the other members of the away team.

Wesley's eyes grew wide as he looked at Commander Riker.

Geordi looked back to Miles, out at the event horizon, and then back to the Chief.

"It is vital that I get off this ship," Data repeated.

"We all need to, Data," Riker snapped.

"No, sir. I must get out of here," Data replied cryptically.

He could tell from the lack of response that Commander Riker wasn't following his train of thought.

"Our survival depends on it," Data explained.

He stopped and set down the probe.

"There is no communication problem," Data went on. "But there is a time dilation field caused by the extreme density of the black hole. Based on my calculations, it is presently Stardate 41671.4 on the Enterprise."

"Data, it's Stardate 41669.5," Riker countered. "We left the Enterprise three hours ago."

"Correct," Data agreed. "But the time dilation caused by the formation of this black hole means that while it has only been three hours and seventeen minutes aboard the shuttle, time outside of the impacted area is passing at a normal rate."

He paused for a moment before adding, "If my calculations are correct. And they usually are."

Riker blinked as he tried to wrap his brain around Data's theory.

He put up his hands and his brow furrowed.

"So, we're being sucked into a black hole?" Riker said as he tried to comprehend the problem.

"No," replied bluntly.

Riker exhaled in exasperation. He rubbed his eyes, weary from trying to understand the situation. He knew Data wasn't attempting to be ambiguous on purpose – it was just his nature.

Geordi could sense the miscommunication and decided it was time to step in.

"Black holes don't 'suck.' They curve space time," Geordi explained.

"It bends the particles toward the mass," Wesley added. "Our location is both simultaneously constant and changing as the event horizon deforms space time."

"In essence, it creates paths that only lead to the event horizon," Data explained.

"OK, one scientist at a time!" Riker hollered. "We're not moving?"

Wesley, Data, and Geordi looked at one another as they tried to determine a way in which to properly communicate the situation to Commander Riker.

All eyes fell on Miles O'Brien.

He had a knack for bridging the language gap between Command and Engineering.

"It's eating the space around us. Like a big sandwich. And we're at one end. As more of the sandwich is eaten, the closer we get to the mouth," Miles said chiming in.

"Thank you, Chief," Riker said, finally understanding the situation.

He asked the crew to give him a minute to think.

Data opened his mouth to protest but thought better of it.

Riker took a seat at the helm.

"What I hate most about this is the team needed to get us out of here is stuck here," Riker grumbled.

He heaved a sigh as he looked out at the event horizon.

"Sir, if I may, that is why I must leave," Data pressed. "And soon."

Riker looked back at Data for an explanation.

"My unique synthetic nature means I can withstand exposure to open space," Data said as he filled in the crew on his plan.

He had been working to adapt one of their level one probes to carry him back to the rendezvous point. They didn't have the energy reserves necessary to power the shuttle out and maintain shields. But there would be enough energy to send one of the probes back.

And Data knew that every second counted.

The sooner he could escape from the epicentre, the more likely the chance of survival for the entire team.

"You'll be crushed," Miles said.

Data had considered that possibility.

"I have boosted the shield protections around the probe," Data said. "Once aboard the Enterprise I believe I can devise a plan of escape to get you out of here."

Riker considered his proposal.

"Data, if it was anyone else, I'd think they were trying to save their own skin," Riker explained.

But Will Riker understood Data wasn't capable of acting out of self-preservation at the sacrifice of others.

"But, sir," Wesley questioned. "How are you going to do it? At the rate the field is expanding, it could take days for you to reach the ship."

"I will need you to put me and my combadge into the probe," Data ordered. "And then load it into the launch tube."

Riker glanced at Geordi and Miles for advice.

"I don't know about this, Data," Geordi said.

His voice was full of concern.

It was a big risk.

And there were plenty of things that could go wrong.

There was also no guarantee that their plan would work.

Worst of all – they would have no way of knowing if it didn't work.

"I will confess it is a hail Mary," Data admitted.

Riker grinned at the android's use of a human colloquialism.

Miles didn't like the idea one bit.

One slip up and Data would be trapped in the time dilation bubble – drifting aimlessly for all of eternity until crossing the event horizon.

"But Data, that probe's only two metres long and there's naught to grip to," Miles protested. "You're really gonna ride a probe back to the Enterprise?"

"Not exactly," Data replied.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

632 8 9
[A rewrite of TNG's Skin of Evil] If things had gone only a little bit differently, everything might've changed. ***** When Lt. Commander Data nearly...
77.4K 2.9K 21
You never suspected that you'd end up the role model of the Enterprise's resident android, but it turns out you're not as invisible as you once thoug...
11.4K 317 16
𝓨𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓫𝓮𝓪𝓽 𝓷𝓸𝓽 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓸𝓷𝓮, 𝓫𝓾𝓽 𝓽𝔀𝓸 "𝐼 𝒹𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝒸𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒶𝒷𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒶𝓃𝓎𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝑒𝓁𝓈𝑒, 𝐼 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓌𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝓉𝑜 �...
14.3K 726 7
Spock had never tried it himself, but knew it was possible through stories and experiences from the Vulcan Elders, and as he moved to Kirk's side he...