Please Believe Me

By Beautyinbooksblog

Madison Rosales is not your typical 22- year-old. While everyone her age is out graduating college? She's onl... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Madison
Chapter 2 - Madison
Chapter 3 - Maxon
Chapter 4 - Madison
Chapter 5 - Madison
Chapter 6 - Madison
Chapter 7 - Maxon
Chapter 8 - Madison
Chapter 9 - Maxon
Chapter 10 - Madison
Chapter 11 - Maxon
Chapter 12 - Madison
Chapter 13 - Maxon
Chapter 14 - Madison
Chapter 15 - Maxon
Chapter 16 - Madison
Chapter 17 - Madison
Chapter 18 - Maxon
Chapter 19 - Maxon
Chapter 20 - Madison
Chapter 21 - Madison
Chapter 22 - Madison
Chapter 23 - Madison
Chapter 24 - Madison
Chapter 25 - Maxon
Chapter 26 - Madison
Chapter 28 - Maxon
Chapter 29 - Madison
Chapter 30 - Madison
Chapter 31 - Madison
Chapter 32 - Madison
Chapter 33 - Madison
Chapter 34 - Maxon
Chapter 35 - Maxon
Chapter 36 - Madison
Chapter 37 - Madison
Chapter 38 - Madison
Chapter 39 - Madison
Thank You
Note to the Reader
Please Forgive Me
Please Love Me

Chapter 27 - Madison

12.9K 329 76
By Beautyinbooksblog

"Hi! Welcome!" The cashier greets us the moment the door closes behind Maxon.

We both greet her and stand in the short line. I do a complete sweep of the place and am quite surprised by how opposite it is from the place Jake took me. There are tables properly placed throughout the main dining area with a few televisions displaying sports games. But what grabs my attention is the outdoor dining area. There are small outdoor lights hanging and even though it's afternoon, it gives off a warm atmosphere. I love it.

"We'll sit out there." I whip around and find Maxon staring down at me with a tender smile. I wasn't aware he was looking at me but I don't know why I'm surprised. Maxon's always been so attuned where I'm concerned. "Let's just order our food first, yeah?"

I nod and scan over the menu which is sitting high behind the cashier's head. Crap. I squint my eyes. I can't see a thing. I pull out my glasses from my bag and put them on. Much better.

"You wear glasses?" I'm not sure what reaction I expected from Maxon but I don't hear any judgment in his tone, just genuine curiosity.

"Yeah, I can't see long-distance. I need them for that and when I drive."

He grins. "You look cute in them. You should wear them more often."

I blush and he drops a kiss atop my head.

"Next!" The cashier calls.

We head up and she smiles, her gaze lingers on Maxon and I can tell she might have developed a little crush on him. I can't blame her. "Hi! What can I get for you two today?"

My brows raise. I'm surprised she remembered I was here. Girls tend to forget whenever he's around. I glance up at Maxon who's already looking down at me. Ah, no wonder. He's sending her a message loud and clear.

"Um, can I get the party platter deluxe and a Mahi Mahi bowl please?"

She nods then turns back to look at Maxon who ignores her googly eyes. "And you?"

"I'd like a platter of California Rolls."

"Alright. Any drinks?"

Maxon glances down at me again.

"Water for me. No ice."

"I'll have the same." Maxon agrees.

The cashier types into her POS register. "Is it for here or to go?"

"Here." Maxon answers.

"Okay then. Your total is $42.98."

My eyes widen as big as saucers.

Oh my—I shouldn't have ordered something so expensive. I'm reaching for my wallet when Maxon hands her a fifty-dollar bill.

"I'm paying." He tells me and his voice screams no argument. "Keep the change." He tells the cashier and she nods, handing us our number.

Maxon rests a hand on the small of my back, guiding us out to the patio dining area. We sit at a table for two but I avoid looking at him. I'm so embarrassed he had to pay that much for my order.

"What's wrong?" I feel Maxon studying my face.

I bite my lip, wringing my hands together. I scan the semi-full restaurant, still avoiding his gaze. "Nothing."

"Tell me." I feel his fingers cup my chin and turn me to face him. My gaze lowers to my hands. "Is it because I paid?" He asks gently.

"No. It's because of how much you paid." My eyes close then, feeling shame.

"Baby." He says softly, causing my eyes to open. "Don't worry about that. You can ask for anything you want and I'll buy it for you." I can hear the sincerity behind his statement.

I ask in a small voice. "It's not too much?"

He gives me a warm smile and tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. "Nothing is too much when it comes to you. You are all I've ever wanted, Madison. If flying across the country isn't enough indication of it."

A smile plays across my lips, "Maxon..."

"I can't help but wonder though, why? Why won't you let anyone help you? Pay for you? You never really wanted my help back in New York." He looks hurt by the admission and I, quite frankly, never realized that at the time. I'm so used to doing things for myself, looking after myself, and helping myself. I wasn't aware that if someone genuinely wanted to help it would hurt them.

I pull back and his hand drops, resting on the table. I sigh not having much of an explanation other than, "To put it simply? My father. That's why."

He nods as if that explains all the answers but doesn't push. I'm sure it has something to do with the day after he arrived. He asked where my father was and I explained to him that he left us a couple of years ago. I told him that my siblings and I never had a relationship with my father. He never bothered and never cared for any of us. I relayed how I always knew he cheated on mom since I was a kid--my siblings weren't aware of that fact until they grew older. I was the one who saw too much and heard too much which is why I've matured more quickly than those my age. As the oldest, I had no other choice but to help my mom. 

This I hadn't told any of my exes. Whenever they asked if I had a father, I just lied and said he left us as children. It's such a common lie nowadays it's so sad people believe it as true. But...I really hope Maxon understood, I'm opening up to him with private situations. I'm also hoping he understands that none of this is easy for me and if I'm trusting him with this, it simply means I have strong feelings for him and am willing to make this work.

"Here you are." The waitress, who appears to be in her late forties, arrives with our drinks at that moment and all those depressing thoughts are pushed aside. She sets a glass of water in front of me then Maxon. "Your food will be delivered shortly." She gives us a friendly smile and then is off to attend to other customers.

I'm about to remove my glasses when Maxon quickly stops me, "No, keep them."

I stare at him with confusion. "Why?"

He grins. "You look cute in them."

I let out a soft chuckle. "I don't usually eat with my glasses on. Why don't you take a picture? It'll last longer."

He immediately pulls out his phone.

"I was joking!" I snort.

"I'm not. Put them on baby."

"Ugh, fine." I grab them and slide them back on, "But I get to take a picture of you with your sunglasses on."

"I like you having a picture of me." He flashes me his pearly whites and agrees, "Deal."  

We snap pictures of each other and are just wrapping up when our food arrives. My stomach lets out a rumble at the sight.

"Someone's hungry." The older waitress gives me a warm smile.

"Yeah, I kind of forgot to eat breakfast," I say, feeling sheepish.

Maxon is removing his glasses when I feel his glare at me.

"Well, I hope you enjoy your lunch then, honey." She names off our orders and sets them in front of us. "Party platter deluxe and Hawaiian poke bowl for you and California rolls for you young man. I hope you both enjoy your meal. You both make a fine couple by the way." She shoots me a wink before leaving us to enjoy our late lunch.

My eyes shoot to the different assortments of sushi lying beautifully before me. My mouth salivates as I pick a salmon-covered rice ball and put it in my mouth. I close my eyes and let out a moan. Oh. My. God. I'm in heaven. This sushi is by far the best I've ever tasted. I reach for a different roll this time and find Maxon watching me with amusement and something that is undeniable. Lust.

Heat crawls up my cheeks. I accidentally let out a moan completely forgetting he was sitting across from me.

One side of those delectable lips tilts up. "You eye the food with more interest than you do me. I see I have competition."

I pop the roll I'm holding into my mouth, shrugging off my discomfort.

"There is no competition. Food will always win." I say matter-of-factly.

He lets out a mock gasp, clutching his chest. "I'm hurt. I thought I was your number one."

"Yeah, right. Food comes first because without it I would have no energy to be with you."

He grins but then looks contemplative. "You didn't eat this morning."

I shake my head. "I had to get to class early. I only managed a protein bar."

"Madison—"

"I know. It won't happen again." I reach for another sushi roll. I think this one is spicy tuna? Yup, it is. Jesus Christ. The flavors explode in my mouth and I'm once again lost. If only I could eat this every day.

I open my eyes and find Maxon watching me with dark eyes. I slowly swallow my food and realize he hasn't even touched his. "You're not going to eat?" I gesture at his plate, taking a swig of water.

"It's kind of hard to when you keep on making all those noises."

"I am not making any noise!" I insist even though it's pointless.

He raises a brow in amusement.

"Okay," I admit, cheeks heating,  "I may be a little bit."

He lets out a rough chuckle. "Don't stop on my account. I just can't help but imagine what you'll sound like when you're under me."

I almost choke on air. "Maxon!" I whisper-shout at him not expecting him to be so blunt. Much less in a public area.

"What? You said no lies. This is me being honest." He grins as his eyes smolder, "Because you will be under me, Madison. Moaning. And it won't be from tasting that sushi. That's a promise."

Oh. My. Lord. I feel my cheeks and just as expected they are burning with...embarrassment? Lust? I'm not sure other than Maxon has managed to take my mind to the gutter. All while innocently eating something I love! Jeez, even that sounds wrong!

Maxon lets out a husky laugh and finally takes a bite of his food, shooting me a wink. That little tease! Now he has me all worked up and taking in his appearance in a different light.

His bruises have pretty much faded the past couple of days, leaving a stubble-covered jawline that works delectably as he chews. My eyes roam lower down the column of his neck—where his Adam's apple bobs up and down as he swallows—and down to his black leather jacket which hugs his broad shoulders and muscled arms perfectly. Beneath that he's wearing a gray v-neck that stretches across his hard chest. He looks perfect and I...? I glance down at my work clothes. Look like a mess.

"What is it?" Of course, Maxon doesn't miss a beat.

He always is so aware of my presence. I'm starting to become accustomed to the fact that nothing gets past him. Especially when it comes to me.

"Nothing, just wondering how you can stand to be near me in these clothes." I gesture to myself, wondering why he even wanted to kiss me.

Those luscious lips that were on me less than an hour ago turn up in a smirk. "You mean those sexy clothes?"

I roll my eyes. "There is nothing sexy about my work clothes, Maxon. How did you even kiss me knowing I look like this?" I grab another roll of sushi and take a bite.

"My attraction to you goes beyond the physical but those tight little clothes fitting your body like a second skin makes you look just as beautiful."

"Maxon!" I choke out.

He hands me my glass of water. "Here. It looks like you could use this."

Asshole, but he's right. I'm chugging down water when a girl walks up to our table.

"Hello." The brunette says quietly, glancing at me briefly before giving her full attention to Maxon. "I saw you walk in earlier and recognized you right away. I'm a big fan of yours." She twirls her fingers nervously. "I was wondering if you would sign my shirt for me?"

Maxon glances at me, hesitation in his eyes. I put my glass down and shrug. It's up to him. I'm not going to get in the way of his career.

"Sure." He feels around his pockets but comes up empty. "I don't have a marker or anything."

"Don't worry." The girl motions to a table on the other side and a group of teenage girls walk up to us. My heart picks up as I take in six other girls walking up to our table. The more people that see me with him...I haven't had the chance to talk about the one girl that already recognized me. "My friend has one you can use."

Maxon meets my gaze and gives me an apologetic look.

As the girls walk up to our table, one autograph turns into multiple. They all ended up wanting him to sign something of theirs and soon he gets caught up amongst the crowd, drawing the attention of the sushi bar employees. I can tell they're eyeing us with newfound interest wondering who Maxon is. Wondering who I am.

Just as those group of girls leave, a couple of adults sidle up to us and start apologizing.

"We're so sorry to interrupt you, Mr. Blake. But since we're about to leave, the girls decided to come up and ask for an autograph."

I can tell Maxon is getting slightly annoyed but it comes with his job. I pick at my sushi as Maxon nods slightly. "If you wouldn't mind signing my hat?" The man who appears to be in his mid-fifties removes his cap. "I'm the head coach for my daughter's school football team. We've heard so much about New England's wide receiver. The boys on the team already look up to you so much. Maybe you can come in and give them a talk one day?"

Another nod of Maxon's head. "Maybe."

I can see all of this is bothering him. Our lunch date has been interrupted but he's too polite to send his fans away. I, on the other hand, am bothered because I can't eat my sushi in peace. I reach for my bowl and plate to make sure someone doesn't touch it when a girl's ass fills my line of sight.

"Daddy! Did you get his autograph yet?!" The bubbly voice I'm one thousand percent sure belongs to this girl's ass asks.

"Not yet, sweet pea. We're up next."

I try to reach for my sushi platter and bowl but I can't see with this girl blocking my view.

"Um, excuse me?" I try telling her to move.

"We're up next, hon."

"Maxon?!" Her annoying ass yells. "It's so nice to meet you! I'm such a fan! Your number one!"

I roll my eyes. Just how many times has he heard that one? 

Before I know it, I somehow end up with my chair pushed back—no longer able to reach my sushi—and the blonde in front of me pushes her ass back and leans across the table, taking my spot.

"The guys on the team always talk about you! I mean, of course, I would know. I'm the head cheerleader." She flips her blonde hair, causing her locks to hit me in the face.

Grrr. I push them off me.

"Excuse me." I try getting up but we're surrounded at this point. Where are the employees? I'm pretty sure they should intervene in a situation like this.

"Excuse me," I repeat louder and firmer for the third fucking time.

The young girl who is from what I heard, in high school but appears to be in her mid-twenties, turns and faces me.

"Oh, sorry. And you are? Are you here to get an autograph too?"

BITCH. I peek at the table and see my sushi plate and bowl tossed over! My sushi!

Oh, fuck no. I've had enough of this.

I open my mouth to retort but Maxon beats me to it, growling. "That girl you're practically sitting on is my girlfriend."

"What?!?!" The blonde squawks. "I'm so sorry. If you would—"

"No." Maxon silences her with that one word and I can tell, he's reached his limit. "I appreciate the support but that's enough signing for today."

He gets up and walks around the table, holding his hand out for me. "Let's go, beautiful."

I gladly take his hand and follow him out.

"Look at what you've done." I hear the coach hiss at his daughter. "You've upset Maxon Blake and now he won't want to come and speak to our team."

We ignore the whispers as Maxon steps up to the waitress, speaking to her in a low voice. I can't make out what they're saying but she nods and scurries off. Then we head out the door, leaving my sushi thrown across the floor.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

344K 13.8K 39
*Completed* ||"Actually, Mr Parker. We were showing the new girl to her class." Seth says as he pushes me forward, in front of the whole class. Serio...
7.3M 213K 78
To start over. That's what Alex Rose needed, after that night. That's what drove her out of her home in London, to New York, halfway across the wor...
20.5M 346K 42
#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | #1 Romance "We all need someone to drive us mad." - The Wombats. He stared arrogantly down at me, a smirk plaste...
89K 1.8K 20
Josh and Katie have been best friends since he first moved nextdoor midway through freshman year. They were attached to the hip and acted like they'v...