Spellbound

By emilyslittlelibrary

Lera Thatcher. She doesn't usually fall for people. She's a daydreamer, and loves to find the best in every s... More

Author's note
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
*Epilogue
Christmas Special
New Book!!!!!!

Part 10

2K 58 92
By emilyslittlelibrary

Lera

I swear I have insomnia. 

It's the night of June 30th, so we've been at the beach house for officially 2 weeks. 2 weeks of restless nights, and late night runs. I swear, I'm the fittest I've ever been. 

I still don't know why I can't sleep, I just, can't? 

I'm exhausted from being busy all day in the sun, but as soon as night comes I no longer feel tired. 

It's raining tonight, the soft pattering sound echoing off our roof. As therapeutic as running in the rain sounds, it's a no from me. Tonight I'm sitting in the corner of the library room, nestled into the pillows with a blanket covering me. I have the translucent curtain draped over me, the moonlight lighting up the page of my book just enough. Tonight I've picked 'The summer I turned pretty' by Jenny Han, as it's one of my all-time favorite books to re-read in summer. And I'm slightly in love with Conrad. And I cry whenever something happens with him and Belly. I'm normal, okay?

A light crackling erupts from outside, temporarily tearing me away from my book. A light flash comes across the surging waves, lighting up the sky, as it goes. 

I can only direct my attention back to my book for a second before I hear footsteps coming from the door, before I hear the door close quietly. I peek through the curtains, and I can make out a tall shadowy figure walking towards the piano. A tall figure with messy brown hair, plaid pajama pants and no shirt. Does this boy not own a shirt?

His back faces me as he sits tall at the piano, rustling with the music sitting on it's stand. He rolls his shoulders backwards, as he sets his hands upon the keys. He begins to play, the quiet sounds of the keys flowing through the room. It's a simple tune he plays, but the notes sound sweet, the sad melody pairing perfectly with the weather outside. His muscles flex in the moonlight as he continues to play, his head rolling slightly to the beats of the music. 

I don't realize I'm crying until a cold tear runs down my cheek. First of all, I didn't even know Christian could play the piano, let alone make me cry just by playing it. I like this softer side to his personality, where he isn't afraid to express himself and actually talk to people. I like this him over the irrational, trouble making side, the side that wouldn't take a second look at me. 

My eyes are now engulfed in a sea of tears, blurring my vision of him. I bring the sleeve of my sweatshirt to my eye, wiping underneath it. Before I can react, my open book slips out of my grasp, landing on the floor with a thud. At the noise behind him, Christian whips his head around, his eyes landing on my book. 

Deciding it was time to make an appearance, I open the curtain timidly, letting go of the blanket I've got tucked under my chin as I stand up.

"Leers? I didn't even know you were in here, sorry, I'll go, sorry to interrupt you-" Christian stutters out, but I stop him before he leaves. I reach my right hand to grasp his as he turns to leave.

"No, it's okay, sorry I didn't mean to scare you, I was just reading. Don't go. I mean, you can keep playing if you want, I liked it. It was good background music for my book." I replied, looking into his eyes. Christian seems to study my face for a moment, which makes me squirm. How does he make me feel such things by just simply staring?

"Have you been crying?" he finally asks, his eyebrows knotting together as he questions me.

"Oh!" I say, quickly lower my head, wiping the tears I forgot were there. "Yeah, just the music and books make me cry sometimes. You know I'm emotional."

"Yes, yes I do," he replies, grinning down at me. 

"So, uh, I didn't know you could play piano, how long have you been playing?"

"Well, it's not exactly common knowledge, I've never really played for people before. My grandma used to teach me with her piano, and I just go over there sometimes and play. It's nothing serious though, I'm not really that good."

I scoff, rolling my eyes at his words.

"At least there's something you're humble about." I mumble, our eyes locking once again.

"Wow, and I was going to be polite and ask if you wanted me to teach you, but I don't think I will now."

"Who says I want you to teach me?"

"You're the one telling me how great I am."

As much as my head wants to say no, I find myself wanting to spend this time with him. Why is that? I don't like Christian! I couldn't like Christian, he's too close to my family.

"Ok fine, but I'm going to suck, and you're not allowed to make fun of me." I finally say, playfully wagging my finger in face at my last point. 

He laughs, pulling our already attached hands over to my book. He bends down to grab it, studying the cover before looking back at me. 

"Is it good, the book? What's it about" he asks.

"Summer."

He looks confused for a second, and I can almost see the gears turning in his mind. 

"So you're reading about summer, while you're here, in summer?"

"Essentially yes."

He laughs, shaking his head as he puts the book back on the shelf. 

"Why?"

"It's just one of my favorite's to re-read, and it just so happens it's set in summer. And it's a trilogy."

"Any guys in there that I have competition against?"

I snort, throwing my head back and letting out a laugh.

"As a matter of fact, yes."

He whips his head away from the bookshelf in shock, placing a hand to his chest in mock hurt. 

"Who?" he asks in a low voice.

"I can't just tell you the entire plot, read it yourself if you're so interested." I reply, knowing the response I'll get. 

"I hate reading." he grumbles, lightly pulling my hand over to the piano. He sits me down on the left side of the stool, perching himself on the right.

"Okay, we're going to start easy, I'll teach you C major scale." He says, placing my hands lightly on the keys.

"So this is middle C, and basically you just have to play up to the next C, with your right hand." he explains, motioning to the different keys. He continues to explain the basics of scales, but I barely look at the keys, instead, my attention goes to the side of his face. The faint moonlight hits the curve of his cheekbone, emphasizing his bone structure. He looks so engaged with his teaching, a grin spreading slowly across his face as he lifts my fingers to demonstrate what he's talking about. 

"Do you want to try now?" Christian asks, snapping me out of my creepy trance. 

"Um, yeah, I'll give it a go, but uh... I sort of forgot how to start?" I say, squinting shyly at him. Hopefully he can't tell that I wasn't listening at all, just staring at him.

He laughs, bowing his head before he lays his right hand over mine, guiding me towards the correct keys. His large hands are covered with dark veins, the bracelet on his wrist glinting in the light. Stop thinking about his hands and focus, bitch.

He presses lightly down on my thumb, a soft sound echoing around the room. He continues to push down of each individual finger of mine, the side of his body warm against my own. As we reach the end of the scale, his hand lingers atop of mine for a few seconds, his wide smile matching my own. He lifts our connected hands up, cheering quietly as it hits me. This feels so, stupidly, right. It doesn't feel wrong that I'm sitting playing the piano with my brother's friend in the middle of the night, and it doesn't feel wrong that I'm enjoying this moment. Although, I feel like it should feel wrong. Like I shouldn't be doing this, because although it may seem harmless right now, I don't think I'd be able to stop myself if... whatever this is went any further. 

Being with him like this seems so right, I can't even begin to describe it.

"After a few more lessons, you might be just as good as me." he says finally.

"Oh you wish, your first child prodigy." I reply, rolling my eyes at his words.

"I wouldn't want to teach anyone else first."

A comfortable silence falls over us, his hand still laced into my own.

"Without trying to inflate your ego any more than it already is, could you play that song for me again? The one you were playing when you first came in?" I ask, surveying his facial expressions closely as he answer.

"Only because you asked." he smirks as he slowly detaches his hand from mine, carefully caressing my palm one last time. He places his hands on the keys, music filling the room. I once again find myself searching for new marks on his face I've never seen as he plays, the quiet, swirling music washing over me. Tear spring to my eyes once again as the music becomes slightly louder, my emotions becoming too much to handle internally. He only plays for another minute before he stops, his fingers lingering atop of the keys. He turns towards me, a soft smile coming to his lips. 

"Given that you're crying, I'll guess you liked it," he says, bringing a soft hand up to my face, wiping away the tears under my eyes.

"I'm sorry, that song just... I don't know, makes me feel something." I reply, my cheeks feeling flushed as I lower my head. I can't hide for long though, as his hand comes back to my face, cupping my cheek and lifting my head back up.

"It's one of my favorite's too, and I'd be lying if I said it's never made me cry before." he replies, slowly rubbing circles across my cheek with his thumb. We stay like this, looking into each others eyes for a few moments before Christian speaks again. 

"I have a quick question," he whispers, keeping his hand on my cheek. "You don't have to answer, just thought I'd ask. Uhm... okay here we go. If I were to kiss you, right here right now, what would you say. Hypothetically, of course."

The question almost stuns me, I wasn't really expecting it. First of all, bonus points for asking for consent, but second of all, he wants to kiss me? Like, me? He looks more... nervous? the longer I wait to answer, so I decide to spit out the first thing that comes to mind without thinking.

"Well, hypothetically, my head is screaming at me to leave this room right this second and never come back, but I know another part of me wouldn't pull away, no matter how hard I tried to fight it." 

WHAT AM I SAYING!?

Christian looks relieved as he inches slightly close to me, as I find myself doing the same. My mind is blank, no thoughts whatsoever. If someone was to empty my head right now, they'd probably be disappointed to find nothing there at all. 

Christian reaches out to push a loose strand of hair behind me ear, which only allows him to inch closer to my face. His eyes flick down towards my lips, before his soft expressions looks back to my eyes. 

Just as our lips are about to connect, Christian whispers quietly, barely loud enough for me to hear.

"You're the most interesting person I've ever met, Leers."

I close my eyes as our lips connect, his lips as soft as I imaged they would have been. One of my hands goes to his bare chest, before snaking it's way around his neck. I run my hand through his soft, silky hair, tangling my fingers as I do so. His thumb continue to rub circles across my cheek, the action becoming familiar.

We both pull away at the same time, catching our breathe. I'm glad we stopped when we did, because I don't think I'd be able to control myself for much longer, no matter how morally wrong I felt. 

Christian smiles down at me, so I try to muster up a small smile. 

"Uh, I'm going to go to bed, see you tomorrow." I say. Before I can break away from his hold, Christian bends slightly, kissing my forehead before letting me go. I wave lamely as I leave the room before heading back upstairs. 

What did I just do.

A/n:

Hey guys!

How are we liking the story so far? Anddddd our couple finally kissed! What do you think will happen next?

Sorry for all the Summer I Turned Pretty references, it's honestly one of my favorites to re-read in summer and I thought I'd add it in as a reference! (Also, Team Conrad for life, idc what anyone says, I can and will argue my case until eternity)

Also, PSA: let's just pretend the room was sound proof or something, no one needs to be awoken👀

See you all at the end of Part 11!

lots of love to you all, em xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

335 12 43
For Everly it had been 10 years. 10 years in love with her best friend. Their bond was unlike anything they'd ever experienced in their lives. A bond...
225K 2.4K 35
"𝗜 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗵𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗺𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗺𝗲" "𝗦𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗻𝗮, 𝗜 𝗮𝗺 𝗼𝗻𝗹𝘆 𝗮 𝗳𝗼𝗼𝗹 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘆𝗼𝘂" ______ What happens i...
1.5M 53.5K 54
Highest rankings: Break-up: #1 (23rd November 2019) Cliche romance: #1 (23rd November 2019) Cliche: #1 (11th May 2020) Cheesy romance: #2 (20th May 2...
41.1K 1.8K 63
Book 1 of The Fly Series . . . His eyes turn red and his jaw begins to tremble. "I'm toxic. I'm arrogant. I'm awful. What else? I'm a misogynist. A s...