Written with Love

By Simpking1

What is happening!? My life couldn't have been a dream it was so real! I had kids and a husband! Tears burn... More

What this is about.
The Shop of Love
Run in with Royalty
Our Song
Merciless Love
The Boy on Fire
Villians
A Wolf's Heart
The Virus
Written Love
Lost Love
Summer Loving
Home
Rule Breaker
Right?
Dear Diary,
Always & Forever
This Mess
Learning to Love
Goodbye!

Or is it...

1 1 0
By Simpking1

The crazed villain raises the gun, and points it at his long-time enemy, "Any last words Mystery?"

She lifts her still masked face, and spits at his feet, "You will pay for this."

The villain just sneers at her words, "Like heck, I will." And shoots.

***

The rain pours down, dooming everything in its wake. Only one person walks the otherwise empty streets.

Elias Nightingale.

His heavy footsteps lead him home. The way back from the old warehouse he just killed Mystery in is a long miserable trek away from his home on 23rd street. Well at least for Elias it is.

Before today he would have been overjoyed to hear that he killed the ever so popular 'Mystery'. But after shooting her, he found that it was impossible to rip off the shimmering black mask on her face.

He kicks another discarded beer can.

For years Elias has been working on discovering the mystery of Mystery. But tonight he finally caught her. Caught her and killed her off before she even had a chance.

A large jumbotron sounds off in the distance with the familiar anthem for the cities hero.

He smiles to himself. Tomorrow they will find her body. Dead and probably already covered in mice.

That's what they get, He thinks, That's what you get when you blindly follow some self-proclaimed hero, that you don't even know the identity of.

When the jumbotron finally stops the street lights flicker out.

Out of his left eye, he barely catches a glimpse at a shadow, "I know you're out there!" He yells into the darkness, "Come out!"

Before anyone can show themselves he pulls out a large pocket knife. Another larger one sits in his calf pocket, but it's better to wait and see the threat.

A familiar voice sounds through the shadows, it sounds fake-auto-tuned. Like that of Mystery...

"I'm not trying to hurt you civilian. I'm merely looking for Shadow-hunter."

He sees her knee-length shiny black boots first.

He feigns excitement, "Mystery! It's you!" His surprise is not fake.

"Yes, it's me," he forces himself not to roll his eyes, "I highly doubt it, but have you seen Shadow-Hunter?"

"No," he lies, "I've never seen him in my life. Well, unless you count seeing him on TV."

She chuckles at his poor attempt at a joke, "You're cute."

"You're beautiful." The words fall out of his mouth before he can stop them.

Her face falls, "I'm sure somebody as charming as you already has a girlfriend though, no?"

He does have a girlfriend, a fiancé actually.

"Good guess."

He loves his fiancé, but his thoughts about the superhero in front of him can't escape his mind.

The truth is, he fell in love with Mystery first. When he first fell he was devastated. By the time he realized, he was too far. He hates heroes with every fiber in his being...except Mystery.

After months and months of trying- and failing- to kill his weakness, he found Emily. She was so similar to Mystery, sometimes it scared him. Her hair, body, and characteristics all remind him of her. Sometimes he feels bad, but can never stand to lose her.

He is in love.

***

Mysteries POV: (p.s) I've changed it to 1st person!)

I'm honestly pissed right now.

First Shadow-Hunter ACTUALLY tries to kill me. He was happy about it too!

It stung. A lot.

For years I thought we had something between us.

Other than the rivalry, of course.

I was so sure of it.

It was always the same. We hit around for a bit. Then I win and say something insulting. He breaks away and tells me he's coming back. I do an interview. Then repeat.

We never actually try to kill each other!

And to make it worse, I find my fiancé in the street soaking wet. And then he starts flirting with Mystery! I mean it's still me but...Ugh!

The voice in my head starts laughing at me.

I know, I know.

I'm a horrible person for dating somebody just because they remind me of somebody else!

I say the only thing that comes to mind, "I'm sure somebody as charming as you already have a girlfriend though, no?"

If he denies this, I'm gonna... I actually don't know what, but it won't be good!

"Good guess."

His eyes go dark as he starts to stare at me. The look is almost dreamy, as if he's in love.

I want to be upset that he is looking at me this way when he doesn't even know it's me, but it's impossible.

My mind isn't thinking about him either. It's thinking about Shadow-Hunter. The man I truly love.

I break out of my daze before he does, "I should be on my way. Goodnight citizen."

I use my built-in springs to jump onto an unlit roof.

Time to find Shadow-Hunter.

I need answers.

***

Elias's POV:

She jumps onto a roof and disappears. Once I hear her run off, I rip open my backpack.

Does she want Shadow-Hunter? Shadow-Hunter she will get.

>>>

Ugh! Where is she!?

I slide down another ally wall. If she doesn't show up soon, I may just give up and take a nice long bath at home.

My thoughts are quickly dismantled by her voice.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't Mr. Desperate killer."

I spin around to see my beautiful enemy, "Well, I'll be danged. You really are a Mystery dear."

She scoffs and pushes against the wall, "You got sloppy. You should know it takes more than one lousy bullet to kill me, Hunt."

Fine if she wants to tease, I'll tease, "Hunt? We are making nicknames for each other now?"

"I got tired of saying Shadow-Hunter. So mellow dramatic if you ask me." She dusts of invisible dirt from her shoulder.

"Okay, 'Mystery'. I think I'll call you... Missy."

She scowls, so I chuckle.

"Why did you try to kill me?"

The question comes out so bluntly, that I don't think even she was ready for it.

"Because we're archenemies remember? That's kind of the whole point," she raises an eyebrow, "Well, maybe it's not the point for you 'good guys."

She uncrosses her arms in frustration, "Just give it up already!"

It's my turn to raise an eyebrow.

"Why can't you just NOT want to kill me!?"

I scoff, "It's too late for me to stop. I've already come this far. I've killed, and lied, and stolen....it's too late. You are too late."

"Not it's not! Sure it'll be on your conscious, but you can move past it. Nobody knows your name. Just," she looks up at me, "please."

"Your wishes mean nothing to me." It's a lie. I huge lie. Her wish means everything to me. It's why I have to get rid of her.

"I know that's not true!" She stands up straight.

"What are you talking about?" If she can suddenly read minds too...

"You do care! You care about me, and you care about my opinion. You like me!"

What. The. Heck. She can read minds! "Don't get ahead of yourself there Missy." I turn to leave, but they twist my arm and slams me into the wall.

Her mouth opens and closes. She wants to say something. Instead of whatever she hoped to say, she reaches for her mask.

It takes a minute to process her slightly crooked bunny nose. Her romantic honey-glazed eyes. Her beautiful ray of freckles just lightly sprinkled on her cheeks.

"Emily."

***

Emily's POV:

"Emily."

Wait, how does he know my name?

He quickly reaches for his mask.

As soon as I see his familiar dull grey eyes I know it's him.

"Elias." It comes out in more of a whisper.

"How- we- wha..." He stares at me dumbfounded.

"It's you." It's all I can manage.

"You're you..."

Before I even notice, we are suddenly kissing.

It's wonderful.

I feel the need to pinch myself it doesn't feel so real.

He's Elias! He's my fiancé!

I break the kiss with a giggle, and lean my head on his shoulder, "Wow, this is...wow." It's all I can think of.

"Yeah," his voice is no longer auto-tuned to be the deep voice I'd grown so used to, "it's like a dream come true..."

I hug him tighter and move my lips to his ear.

Before I can whisper anything he speaks again, "This truly is like a dream come true. You're my fiancé. Everything seems so perfect," he changes to a whisper, "I'm so sorry."

Before I can ask what's wrong, I feel a sharp pain inside.

He stabbed me.

***

Elias's POV:

'I'm sorry was all I could think of.

But as I see the pain and betrayal in her eyes, I know it's not enough. It'll never be enough.

That's why I had to do it.

In my father's dying breaths he told me one thing, "One day you'll leave this world behind, so live a life they will remember."

I can't do that with her by my side.

Everything I need to accomplish has to be done in a way I can't bear for her to see. The only way to not let her see is to let her go.

Tears fill my eyes as I watch her cling to life.

'Just let go!' I want to scream. 'This world doesn't deserve you!'

She looks straight at me, to say her final words. I think for sure she's going to curse me, but she doesn't.

"I love you."

Her body falls limp in my arms.

Did she love me?

I stare at her corpse. And finally, let myself cry.

>>>

Three years later:

I did it. I finally did it.

I look around as the buildings crash and people scream. The fires illuminate my victory.

A choked laugh escapes me. My first laugh since Emily died. Well deserved too.

I lived my life just like Papa said. Nobody will forget me now.

I look over the broken world again.

Finally, I can rest.

I lift the knife that took Emily's life.

I'm ready. I'm ready to see her again. Ready to hold her, and her tell me how proud she is.

I lift the knife and stab my heart-

***

It's the hardest thing to watch.

He thinks he did it. He thinks destroyed the world that broke him.

But he failed.

He didn't kill the love of his life. He didn't destroy the world. And he didn't stab his own heart.

He failed.

You're probably wondering how.

How did he not kill her? I just read it!?

How did he not destroy the world? He just described the broken buildings!?

How did he not stab his own heart? That's was his closer!?

Well, my lovely reader.

That's for you to decide.

And no, don't just tell yourself this last part doesn't matter.

Cause this story's far from over.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

911 150 29
I always believed that my group of friends were resilient enough to withstand anything. But then that day happened and I watched it helplessly crumbl...
1.6M 38.2K 71
"𝐌𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲, 𝐄𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐞. 𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲...
2.3M 41.3K 61
Football players are assholes. I know; I'm related to their king. My older, and annoyingly overprotective, brother Jake is the star quarterback at Sa...
1.1K 29 19
Young people...young problems. Everyone has something and nothing at the same time. Nowadays, we have to learn to live with everything that happens...