Ten Steps With You

By CommonSunrise

Imagine a world where you and the person you've admired since childhood are to be trapped inside an invisible... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Prologue
Chapter 2: Summer
Chapter 3: Oliver
Chapter 4: The Road Ahead
Chapter 5: The Last Day of Ordinary
Chapter 6: One Step Forward
Chapter 7: Yesterday No More
Chapter 8: Everyday Shenanigans
Chapter 9: Entering The Textbook
Chapter 10: Reached
Chapter 11: To The Old Unknown
Chapter 12: The Key To Another World
Chapter 13: Northbound
Chapter 14: Casual Before Casualty
Chapter 15: Goodbye
Chapter 16: Doors
Chapter 17: Dysphoria
Chapter 18: Manuscripts
More Updates and Major Revisioning
Chapter 19: Homefront

Chapter 1: A Day No Different From The Other

306 8 23
By CommonSunrise

Why is she so close yet so far away?

Sitting from afar, Oliver asked himself a rhetorical question.

Every day after the lunch bell rang, one can find Oliver sitting by the window of his empty classroom surveying the perimeter below him.

The crisp morning air, the many students chatting and going about on the school grounds.

Nothing was any different from what Oliver would see on any other day.

From the reflection of his phone screen, Oliver saw his face.

With nose indents from his black glasses, his bangs shadowed over his light brown tone as well as his slight eye bags from last night's gaming session. His school jacket hung neatly on his shoulder. 

Putting his phone down, he tilted his head to see another view.

On the side away from all the normalcy, away from all chaos, is his friend Summer.

Sitting ever so nonchalantly and unaware of time, she turned another page from the book she was reading.

Despite being so far away, Oliver could notice much about the unaware Summer.

Keeping up a straight posture, the ends of her hair brushed her cheek while she played with a paper bookmark in her other hand.

The shadow of the mango tree above her darkened her Caucasian complexion yet her green eyes and her small lips seemed to sparkle as she took occasional glances into the sunlight. 

Oliver had met Summer during their early elementary days.

Ever since then, the two would be frequently seen together. Only recently, however, the two had become slightly distant since the beginning of their 4th year in highschool.

Now almost halfway into the school year, Oliver still could not pinpoint why. 

"Hey, you coming?" Someone called out from the classroom door.

"I'll be there in a moment, Miguel."

----------

The school's designated eating area was filled with its usual smells and disorder.

As Oliver stepped in, the aroma of soy sauce hinted at a chicken adobo, and the sound of an egg being poured into a wok of fried rice only helped to rumble his hungry stomach even more.

As millions of unintelligible conversations of all sorts of different topics roared in the background, Oliver and Miguel strolled around the food selection. 

"What should we get?"

"I think I'm craving a pizza."

"Out of all the options here you go for pizza?" Miguel scratched his head while he laughed.

Miguel was an old friend of Oliver. With his white polo uniform worn with a few buttons undone, the way he walked made obvious his carefree nature. 

A sunburn on his arms and bruises on his elbows, the slight smell of sweat mixed with his cheap perfume.

Smiling, he threw an arm over Oliver's shoulders, making the contrast of his rather dark skin compared to Oliver's lighter shade plain as day. 

"Yeah, why? Also, get your arm off of me. You reek of football." 

As Oliver opened his mouth to talk more, his vision suddenly blurred. Slowly losing consciousness, his body fell backward. 

----------

Underwater in darkness, Oliver slowly sank.

Fazed and disorganized, confused and disconcerted. A light above the surface weakly shone on Oliver's face.

Opening his eyes fully, bubbles exited his nostrils. Unable to panic, Oliver turned his head to look around. 

"Summer?"

On the other side of what seemed to be a glass screen, Summer stood with a face of confusion. Hand on the glass, she looked Oliver straight in the eye. 

Everything around Oliver turned monochrome. The once gloomy and murky waters around him, his body, and his clothes had been stained in black and white.

No vibrant color remained except on Summer's end of the glass.

A bizarre sensation filled Oliver's spine. From his head to the tip of his toes, he began to regain movement in his arms and legs.

Looking at Summer again, he positioned himself upright, attempting to move closer to the glass.

As their gazes deepen, Oliver's heartbeat paced faster.

Summer began to bang on the window, each hit cracking the glass slightly.

What is she doing? 

On Summer's 10th strike, the glass shattered as water rushed into the room.

----------

Oliver reopened his eyes again. This time, instead of the water, he felt the softness of a bed and the warm touch of someone's hand.

"Hey, you okay?" A familiar voice asked.

The sounds of clamor attacked Oliver's currently sensitive ears. The ringing of a telephone, the volume of the afternoon programming, the voice of the school nurse. 

"Summer?"

As Oliver tried to get up, he accidentally grabbed the hand of the girl in front of him. His vertigo still not resolved, he only succeeds in bringing her closer to his face. 

Her red lips were immensely close. A drop of sweat slowly traveled down the side of her neck as her black silky hair glistened from the artificial illumination of the ceiling light above.

"Uhm, Oliver..."

"Alright you two, that's enough flirting for today." Miguel entered the room.

Summer pulled away. "I wasn't doing anything!"

Not yet fully conscious, Oliver fell asleep.

----------

With the loud bell ringing, Oliver and Summer make their way out of the school. 

"Want me to carry your bag?"

"The nurse told me to escort you home because of your scene at the cafeteria and you want to carry my bag?"

"Yeah, why not? We uh..." Oliver trailed off.

"We what?"

"We haven't walked home together in a while. Actually, we haven't talked much in a while. I thought I'd do it as a courtesy."

----------

Why is he so close yet so far away?

Summer questioned herself as she inattentively stared at our male protagonist from behind. 

The dusty pavement, the lukewarm afternoon air. Summer's hands fidgeted in her skirt's pocket while her mind wandered away into fantasy. 

Suddenly, with each step she took, the world around her began to change. 

Huh.

Defying any concrete laws of reality, the terrain and environment around her started to crumble.

Stumbling but not falling, Summer looked around with a face of confusion as the outside environment turned into a white room of nothingness. 

The air shifted to a chilly breeze and the ground disappeared. 

Before any words of confusion or panic could leave her mouth, Oliver turned around and swiftly grabbed her hand with the same force he used at the clinic.

White rosy petals began to fall out of the sky.

Light coming from a sun that didn't exist highlighted the falling floral leaves. Summer's cheeks heated up quickly as she froze in place.

She began to recall.

---9 Years Ago---

Head down, crouched in the backroom stage, Summer's tears fell upon the wooden platform of the school's theatre. 

"We'll be putting you in the competition, Summer." 

"Uh, okay."

She regretted it. Summer knew that she should have never accepted the assignment.

She had never spoken in front of a crowd that big before. Up to now, she still never really fully understood what she was doing there.

But she was unable to decline. Summer's first year as an elementary school student had been plagued with expectation after expectation, goal after goal. Because of this, she was afraid to disappoint anyone. 

More and more people entered and left the stage. 

Covering her ears and gluing her legs together as she trembled profusely, the voices of cheer and applause blared in the background. 

A mysterious figure reached his hand out. "Hey, you okay? We're up next. I'll be going first."

Forgetting completely, Summer remembered that she had been given a partner.

The recitative competition was to be done in pairs and the two of them had been practicing together for the past couple of weeks. 

Despite this, she tended to spend much of her time practicing alone as she expected that involving her partner too much would hinder her personal performance. 

What was his name again? Oliver, was it? 

Despite being so young, the boy relayed his lines masterfully to the quiet crowd who listened intently.

Swaying his arms in the air with every emphasized syllable, walking in pace with the piece he was delivering. The loudness and volume of his voice were like hitting Summer in the chest repeatedly. 

Not long after, he had spoken the last word to his part.

"Good luck." He whispered into Summer's ear.

Staring blankly into his eyes, the boy eventually broke eye contact as he walked backstage.

---Present---

It's that boy, again. Summer thought.

Her arms and movement were completely still. She tiptoed on her black shoes, elevating her slightly.

His glasses fogged up, heat coming from the touch of his hand. The boy gently raised her chin to the height of his lips.

---------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 5K 63
You are an ordinary senior college student. But on your first day, you get a video game which sends you to the world 120 years in the past. There, yo...
336K 7.4K 25
Olivia and kacie, from 2 completely different worlds, but little did they both know, is that it would soon become, just one, very confusing world. M...
4.8K 633 70
Even my eyes are blind to see your face... Even my body can't move to keep you company... Even my life is literally on the line and my breath came fr...
219K 6.6K 37
If we are still in the 90's and someone will approach me and say "You're a descendant of a Goddess," I'll most likely answer "You need some serious h...