My Heart

بواسطة LittleLadyBaker

A short mini fic for Wumptober Artie and Claudia. Father/Daughter centric. It was a perfectly normal day at... المزيد

Lets REALLY Break Artie's Heart

Let's Break Artie's Heart

26 0 0
بواسطة LittleLadyBaker

Let's Break Artie's Heart

AN: This is my first stab at writing Whump so let me know what you think. Also, my first dip into Warehouse 13 fanfic.

LLB

It was a perfectly normal day at the Warehouse. Which obviously meant it didn't last. Everyone rolled out of bed and followed through their morning routines before stumbling down the stairs. They met at the table which Leena, somehow, beat them all to. Even Artie.

Breakfast was had quietly, most of them too tired to say much. Pete and Myka had only gotten back a few hours ago but that would never stop Artie from dragging them all to the warehouse at sunrise. The senior agent herded the younger three out the door to carpool out to work. It was then that he noticed something. Pete and Myka had settled in the backseat, taking the time to dose before actually having to do something. Claudia had snagged the passenger seat. Unlike the other two, she was wide awake, an early riser like he was. The tween was curled up in her seat, rubbing her stomach. (1)

"Claudia? Are you alright?"

She nodded, "Yeah. I'm fine. I think I just ate too many of Leena's pancakes."

Artie shook his head, "I told you to slow down."

"Your words said 'slow down'. Your actions said 'eat more pancakes'."

"I also said, 'do as I say not as I do'," he gave her a glare but there was no malice behind it. Not right now.

They made it to the warehouse with a normal amount of complaining from the 'kids' and stepped into the office. Artie checked the computer once more.

"Alright. Still no pings so we ALL get to do inventory today," He turned mock cheerfully, "Perfect. We'll do this in teams. The sooner we get done, the sooner-"

"We get to go home?" Pete hoped.

"We get to take a short break." He fixed the younger man with a REAL glare, "Myka, Pete, I want you two to do the Shakespear section. Pay close attention, some things in there don't look like they belong but they do. Claudia, you're with me in paintings and sculptures. Let's go."

There was a certain amount of complaining from Pete as he and Myka set out but they were soon out of earshot. Then, it was just him and Claudia. They worked in near silence for over an hour. Which was another oddity with Claudia but, considering she didn't feel well, Artie didn't think much of it. He planned on letting her take a nap in his old loft once they finished since she was being such a good sport.

"Hey!" One of the paintings shouted, "Looks like you've lost something!"

Artie turned to snap at what should have been a well gooed inanimate object. He stopped short when he saw his companion at the end of the hall.

"Claudia?"

She was bent over, one hand on the shelves and the other around her belly. Without warning, she vomited over the floor, barely missing some of the artifacts.

"Claudia!" Artie ran the last few steps to her side.

The girl sank to her knees, shaking. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she doubled over.

"Is it still your stomach?"

She nodded feebly. He pressed one hand gently to her side.

"Is this where it hurts the most?"

She nodded again, "At first it just felt like a really bad period but now..."

Artie shook his head and reached for his Farnsworth. Now was not the time to get flustered.

"I'm going to call Dr. Cadler. It sounds like your appendix is about to burst."

Claudia whimpered and shook her head, "It can't. I already had appendicitis."

HIs blood chilled. Claudia was the one who spent the most time in the office with him. How had he not thought to check that the top wouldn't affect her, too!

"Artie? Did your appendix grow back already?" Vanessa appeared in the tiny screen.

"No. Not mine. Claudia's," he felt his chest tighten.

"And I take it she's infected?" the background began to move.

He could only nod.

"Alright. I'm on my way. I'm a couple hours out, though so try and keep her comfortable until I get there."

"Right. We'll be in the room off my office." He hated how scared he sounded.

"That's fine. See you soon."

The screen darkened. Artie pocketed the Farnsworth and wrapped his arm around Claudia's back.

"Come on, Kiddo. Let's get you back to the Office."

She whimpered but complied. It was slow going. By the time they made it out of the paintings and sculptures, Claudia was crying. Artie sighed.

"Ok. Plan B. Put your arms around my neck."

He didn't know what scared him more; that she was in this much pain or that she wasn't questioning a whole organ growing back. She just wrapped her arms around his neck. Artie lifted her into his arms and tucked her against his chest like an infant. He stumbled slightly but started marching anyway. Claudia tucked her face into his neck. Before much longer they made it to the office. Suddenly, Claudia turned away from him and threw up. Artie froze, feeling the mess seep into his sneakers.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

He shook his head and kept walking. He gently lay her on the bed in the spare room.

"It's ok, Yakirati. You're sick. You're allowed to make a bit of a mess like that."

She didn't say anything, just curled up and hugged her belly again. Artie sighed.

"I'm going to clean that up and get you something to help with the pain."

Claudia just whimpered. He got up, changed his shoes, mopped up the floor and laid a damp towel over the carpet, and filled a hot water bottle. Then, he returned to Claudia's side. Though he was convinced that her stomach was empty now he set a bucket beside the bed, just in case.

"I need you to uncurl for me, Yakirati. I know being curled up feels better but I promise this will help."

She whimpered and rolled over.

"There you go. Here. This should help."

He laid the hot water bottle over her belly before pulling over a chair. He didn't move from her side save to get them each a glass of water. He stroked her hair and kissed her forehead.

Myka strode through the door of the office, "Hey, Artie. Pete's cleaning up the mess near the paintings. How is she?"
"Not great. Her appendix grew back and now she's infected," He didn't look up, "But Vanessa should be here soon."

Claudia whimpered and curled up on her side again. Myka sat on the edge of the bed.

"Yeah. I know, Claud. Appendicitis sucks."

Artie's head snapped up, "You've had appendicitis?"

"Yeah. When I was about Claudia's age. Why?"

Artie shook his head, "No reason."

"Ok. THAT was NOT in the job description," Pete marched in and stood behind Myka, "So, the vet's not good enough for little Claudia?"

Artie glared up at him, "No. Frankly I would prefer no one on this team have to resort to the veterinarian for care again. Luckly, Vanessa was already nearby."

"I'm right here," the doctor rushed in, "Pete, Myka, no offence but get out."

Myka stood and dragged Pete out by his arm. Vanessa sat in the place she had vacated.

"Claudia? Hey, Sweetheart. Can you look at me for a minute?"

The girl opened eyes glazed with pain. Artie squeezed her hand gently while Dr. Cadler looked her over.

"Alright, I'm going to get her ready if you want to step out, Artie."

He nodded and tried to stand.

"No," Claudia moaned, "Don't leave me."

He sat back down, "I'm not leaving you, Yakirati. I'm just stepping out so Dr. Cadler can make the pain go away."

"No... Don't go."

"Why don't you just stay until she's asleep," Vanessa whispered.

Artie nodded and squeezed Caludia's hand again, "Ok, Claudia. I'll stay right here until you fall asleep. Ok?"

She nodded, "M'kay, Daddy."

Artie felt his heart stutter. Vanessa squeezed his shoulder before getting right to work. He didn't move until Claudia's hand went limp in his. Then, he kissed her forehead and went back into the office.

He closed the door quietly and went over to his desk. His heart was racing. He lowered his head to his hands, fisting his hands around his curls. He slammed his hand on the desk, startling his agents.

"Myka. Go get Claudia's pajamas and robe from the B&B."

"OK."

Her quiet squeak just made him angrier. Not at her but at himself. None of this would have happened if he hadn't been so stupid and selfish. Once she was gone he stormed off. There was something he had to do.

LLB

Vanessa took a deep breath as she stepped out of her 'operating room'. Myka stood up, red folded pajamas in hand. Pete and Artie were nowhere to be found.

"Where's Artie?" The agent asked, "I thought he was in there with you?"

"No. Of course not. He's squeamish about blood. He was supposed to be waiting out here."

"He went to take care of the artifact doing this," Pete had returned, "Apparently, he REALLY didn't like that it chose to affect Claudia next."

"And, now, it won't be affecting anyone," Artie clearly hadn't calmed down since he'd left, "How is she?"

"Sleeping. She'll be fine but she's going to be out of commission for a little while. Not everyone recovers from this as fast as you do."

He nodded and waved Myka into the room, a silent request for her to help Vanessa change Claudia into the more comfortable pajamas. He sat, glaring at the door, to wait. Pete sat beside him, having enough self preservation to stay quiet for once. Once the door opened, Artie grumbled past the women and sat beside Claudia's bed once more. Vanessa smiled and shook her head. Pete grinned. Self preservation gone.

"Isn't that single parent thing sooo attractive?" He grinned up at the doctor.

She stared back at him. Myka blinked.

"That sounded better in my head..."

"Pete," Artie called over his shoulder, "Once again, shut up."

Vanessa chuckled and shook her head. She stood behind Artie and put her hands on his shoulders.

"Is she staying here?"

He shook his head, "I was thinking I'd just let her sleep for a little bit then take her back to Leena's. She'll be more comfortable in her own bed."

Vanessa nodded and kissed his cheek, "You know? I think Pete was right. 'The single parent thing is sooo attractive'."

Artie choked. It was like these people were TRYING to give him a heart attack!

LLB

Hebrew translation:

Yakirati: Precious

1) A Lord of the Rings reference. Hobbits call people in their 20s 'tweens' since they aren't considered adults until they're 30. Claudia seams to be a pretty good example of why Tolkien came up with that.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

103K 3.1K 31
"she does not remind me of anything, everything reminds me of her." lando norris x femoc! social media x real life 2023 racing season
1.3M 57.3K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
206K 7.2K 97
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
922K 21.2K 49
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.