โœจ Half my soul โœจ Kazโœ–๏ธOC.

By Lordcoldemort

Villainy was nothing new to him, and even murder was understandable and clear-cut. But love was still a myste... More

โœจ PILOT โœจ
This city's gonna break my heart
Don't go chasing all the headlights
The flavour of greed
Dancing underneath the skies of lust
The silence surrounds you and haunts you
All my tears have been used up
Lights will guide you home
Naรฏve I was just staring at the barrel of a gun
I want an ocean view, somewhere
Mummified my teenage dreams
Sweet dreams are made of this
The ice does not forgive
We watch as our young hearts fade
Anywhere, I would have followed you
Dirtyhands had come to see the rough work done
โœจKaz Brekker didn't need a reasonโœจ

Where iron meets flesh

606 23 7
By Lordcoldemort

Nina's aches set in after dawn. An hour later, it felt as if her bones were trying to push through the places where her joints met.

Matthias sat beside her. He'd tried to take her hand, but the pain was too great. Everything looked wrong. Everything felt wrong. Her throat itched. Her skin felt like an enemy. All she could think and want is parem and parem alone.

When the tremors began, she begged Matthias to leave.

"I don't want you to see me like this," she said. "Don't give me another dose. Whatever I say, no matter how much I beg."

"Kuwei said the withdrawal could kill you. I won't let you die." Matthias told her.

Kuwei. Back at the treasury Matthias had said, He's one of us. She liked that word. Us. A word without divisions or borders. It seemed full of hope.

"Matthias," she said, running her fingers through his hair. It hurt. The world hurt. Touching him hurt, but she still did it. She might not ever get to again.

He took her hand and kissed her knuckles gently. She winced, but when he tried to pull away, she clutched him tighter.

"Stay," she panted. Tears leaked from her eyes. "Stay till the end."

"And after," he said. "And always."

➖➖➖➖➖

As the schooner sped south, it was as if the whole crew was sitting vigil. Jesper was as worried about Nina as anyone but the respectful silence was hard to bear. He needed something to shoot at.

The Ferolind felt like a ghost ship. Matthias and Aeolian were caring for Nina, and Matthias couldn't understand half of what Kuwei said. So, Aeolian was always translating in between.

Matthias was more than grateful to have the pulchritudinous Shu girl around. From their first meeting, till date, she has been a priceless asset to the crew and her presence brought a sense of comfort and unity, even in the darkest times. She had helped them, fought for them and saved them, putting her own life on the line time and again. And the Fjerdan couldn't help but have a high sense of respect and likeness for her.

The only thing that weighted his heart was the thought of Brekker's presence in her life. Back at the Ice Court, Matthias had said, "I feel sorry for you, Brekker. There is nothing sacred in your life."

Kaz said, "You're wrong Helvar."

And at that very moment Matthias' knew what the infamous Dirtyhands hold sacred in his life. It was Aeolian and she was the beginning and the end of Kaz Brekker.

Jesper hadn't seen Wylan since they'd fled the Djerholm harbour, and he missed having the merchling around to annoy.

Their first journey on the Ferolind Aeolian was distant but now Jesper had noticed that she seemed to have developed a consuming interest in all things nautical. She spent most of her time with Specht and Rotty, learning knots and how to rig sails.

Jesper had always known there was a good chance they wouldn't make this journey home at all. But he'd figured that if they managed the impossible task, the trip back to Ketterdam would be a party. But he never could have foreseen the way they'd been cornered in the harbour, and he couldn't have imagined what Nina had done to get them out of it.

Thinking about Nina made him feel guilty. A voice inside him said he should offer to take the drug as well. Even though he was a Fabrikator without training, maybe he could have helped to draw the parem out of Nina's system. But that was a hero's voice. Hell, a hero would have volunteered to take the parem when they were facing down the Fjerdans at the harbour.

But he wasn't a hero, at the end of the day among the six of them Aeolian and Nina were the heroes. Because they were the ones who took the hard jobs and saved them all. Without these two powerful female figures in their lives, he knew the rest of them would've been lost by now.

➖➖➖➖➖

When Kerch finally appeared on the horizon, they knew their lives were about to change in ways that still didn't seem real.

They dropped anchor, and when nightfall came, Kaz asked Jesper to join him and Rotty in the longboat they were rowing to Fifth Harbour. This was the first time Kaz Brekker didn't call Aeolian to be by his side, Jesper had noticed that they've been avoiding each other.

The chaos of Ketterdam was unchanged.

"Looks the same as when we left it," Jesper said.

Kaz raised a brow. He was back in his sleek grey-and-black suit, immaculate tie. "What did you expect?"

"I don't know exactly," Jesper admitted.

But he felt different, he looked down at his hands. Did he want to be a Fabrikator? He couldn't help what he was, but did he want to cultivate his power or keep hiding it?

Kaz left Rotty and Jesper at the dock while he went to find a runner to take a message to Van Eck. Jesper wanted to go with him, but Kaz told him to stay put. If he was the Shu girl, Kaz would've taken him, but he wasn't her. He should stop thinking about Aeolian and Kaz for a while.

Annoyed, he stretch his legs, aware of Rotty observing him. He had the distinct sense that Kaz had told Rotty to keep him under watch. Did Kaz think he was going to bolt straight to the nearest gambling hall?

He was tempted. He was itching for a hand of cards. Maybe he really should get out of Ketterdam. Once he had his money and his debts were paid, he could go anywhere in the world.

A half hour later, Kaz returned with a message confirming that representatives from the Merchant Council would meet them on Vellgeluk at dawn the following day.

Beneath the details of the meet it said, Congratulations. Your country thanks you.

Jesper laughed, "As long as my country pays cash. Does the Council know the scientist is dead?"

"I put it all in my note to Van Eck," Kaz said. "I told him Bo Yul-Bayur is dead, but that his son is alive and was working on jurda parem for the Fjerdans."

As they rowed back to the Ferolind, Jesper asked, "will Wylan come with us to meet Van Eck?"

"No," Kaz said, fingers drumming on the crow's head of his cane. "Besides, if we need to use the merchling to twist his father's arm, it's better that we not show our hand too early."

It made sense. And whatever discord existed between Wylan and his father, Jesper doubted Wylan wanted to hash it out in front of the Dregs.

"What about Lin?" He looked at Kaz.

Kaz shifted his gaze as soon as he heard her name and said, "she'll be with us, we need her." He reached into his coat, pulled out the paper and handed it over to Jesper.

Kaz didn't have to say a word, Jesper got what he wanted to tell him. Kaz wanted Jesper to pass the note to Aeolian, because for whatever reason Kaz was unable to do so. Jesper didn't have it in him to question Kaz. And no one in their right sense of mind would question Dirtyhands.

➖➖➖➖➖

"A stubborn sky," murmured Aeolian, squinting out towards Vellgeluk as she braided her long black hair into fishtails.

Jesper scanned the empty deck. He'd assumed Wylan would come up to see them off, but Aeolian told him Wylan was with Nina and she couldn't be left on her own.

Jesper knew he was being selfish and stupid, but some petty part of him wondered if Wylan had deliberately kept away from him. Maybe now that the job was complete, Wylan was done slumming with criminals.

(Vellgeluk island)

Vellgeluk was so flat it was barely visible once they were rowing through the water. The island was less than a mile wide, a barren patch of sand and rock. Smugglers called it Vellgeluk, 'good luck'.

It was far from Ketterdam's ports, well outside the patrol of the harbour watch, with no buildings or hidden coves from which to stage an ambush. An ideal meeting place for wary parties.

They saw some sailors around, with their longboats. And as their own longboat made shore, Jesper checked his revolvers and saw Aeolian whispering to Kuwei. They were both Shu's but it was weird to see them well adjusted, because Kuwei wasn't a friend, he was a means for them. But guess Aeolian wanted him to be comfortable in his short stay with them. Kaz watched them in silence, Jesper had a stupid thought that Kaz and Aeolian could talk to each other telepathically because of their lack of conversations and intense eye contacts.

"All right," Kaz said. "Let's go get rich."

"No mourners," Rotty said, settling down to wait with the longboat.

"No funerals," they replied.

They strode towards the centre of the island, Kuwei behind Kaz, bracketed by Jesper and Aeolian. As they drew closer, Jan Van Eck approached, accompanied by a tall Shu man, and followed by a contingent of the stadwatch in purple coats, all carrying batons and repeating rifles.

Two men lugged a heavy trunk between them, staggering slightly with its weight.

"So that's what ten million kruge looks like," said Kaz.

Jesper gave a low whistle. "Hopefully, the longboat won't sink."

"Just you, Van Eck?" Kaz asked. "The rest of the Council couldn't be bothered?"

"The Council felt I was best suited to this task, as we've had dealings before." Van Eck replied.

The Shu man looked at Kuwei, "That's Kuwei Yul-Bo. It's a year since I've seen him, but he's the spitting image of his father." He said something to Kuwei in Shu and gave a short bow.

Kuwei glanced at Aeolian, then bowed in return.

Van Eck smiled. "I will confess I am surprised, Mister Brekker. Surprised but delighted."

"Is that why you hedged your bets?" Kaz asked.

"Ah, so you've spoken to Pekka Rollins." Van Eck said.

"He's quite a talker when you get him in the right frame of mind," said Kaz, and Jesper remembered the blood on Kaz's shirt at the prison. With a niggle of unease, Jesper wondered what else Rollins might have told Kaz.

Van Eck shrugged. "It was best to be safe."

"Ten million kruge will soothe my hurt feelings," said Kaz.

Van Eck gestured to the guards behind him. They hefted the trunk and set it down in front of Kaz. He crouched beside it and opened the lid. There were stacks of bills in palest Kerch purple, emblazoned with the three flying fish, row after row of them, bound in paper bands sealed with wax.

Jesper wanted to take a bath in them. "I think my mouth just watered."

Kaz pulled out one of the stacks and let his gloved thumb skim over it, then dug down another layer to make sure Van Eck hadn't tried to bunk them.

He looked over his shoulder and waved Kuwei forward. Aeolian gave Kuwei a slight nod as the boy crossed the short distance.

Kaz rose. "Well, Van Eck. I'd like to say it's been a pleasure, but I'm not that good a liar. We'll take our leave."

Van Eck stepped in front of Kuwei and said, "I'm afraid I can't allow that, Mister Brekker."

Kaz leaned on his cane, watching Van Eck keenly. "Is there a problem?"

Van Eck pulled a whistle from his pocket and blew it. In the same moment, his servants drew their weapons and a wind came out of nowhere, that whirled around the island as the sea began to rise.

The sailors by the longboats lifted their arms, waves gathering behind them.

"Tidemakers," growled Matthias, reaching for his rifle.

Then two more figures launched themselves from the deck of Van Eck's longboat.

"Squallers!" Jesper shouted. "They're using parem."

The Squallers circled in the sky, wind whipping the air around them.

"You kept part of the stash Bo sent to the Council," said Kaz, dark eyes narrowed.

The Squallers lifted their arms, and the wind wailed a high, keening cry.

"The deal is the deal, Van Eck," Kaz said. "If the Merchant Council fails to honour its end of this bargain, no one from the Barrel will ever traffic with any of you again. Your word will be meaningless."

"That would be a problem, if the Council knew anything about this deal." Van Eck said.

Understanding came in a terrible flash. "They were never involved," Kaz said. "You wanted Yul-Bayur. You wanted the formula for parem."

Why had he believed Van Eck? Because he was a rich, upstanding mercher? It was Hertzoon and his coffeehouse all over again, only now Kaz was old enough to know better.

Van Eck conceded the truth with an easy nod.

"Neutrality is a luxury Kerch has too long enjoyed. The members of the Council think that their wealth protects them," Van Eck said. "Jurda parem is not a secret that can be kept or quashed or stashed."

"So all your talk of trade lines and markets collapsing_" Kaz looked at him.

"Oh, it will all happen just as I predicted. As soon as the Council received Bo Yul-Bayur's message, I began buying up jurda fields in Novyi Zem. When parem is unleashed on the world, every country, every government will be clamouring for a ready supply of it to use on their Grisha." Van Eck explained. "Chaos will come, and I will be its very wealthy master."

"You will be ensuring slavery and death for Grisha everywhere," Aeolian muttered.

Van Eck raised a brow. "How old are you, little girl? Sixteen? Seventeen? Nations rise and fall. Markets are made and unmade. When power shifts, someone always suffers."

"When the Council finds out_" Jesper began.

"The Council will never hear of this," Van Eck said. "Why do you think I chose scum from the Barrel as my champions? Oh, you are resourceful and far more clever than any mercenaries. But more important, you will not be missed."

Van Eck lifted his hand. The Tidemakers spun their arms. It slammed down on the longboat, smashing it to bits as Rotty dove for cover.

"None of you will leave this island. All of you will vanish." He raised his hand again, and the Tidemakers responded. A massive wave roared towards the Ferolind.

"No!" cried Jesper.

"Van Eck!" shouted Kaz. "Your son is on that ship."

Van Eck's gaze snapped to Kaz. He blew his whistle. The Tidemakers froze, awaiting instruction.

"I know you've written to Wylan every week since he left your household. Those are not the actions of a man who doesn't care for his only son." Kaz said.

"Let me tell you about my son," Van Eck spat the word. "He was meant to be heir to one of the greatest fortunes in all of Kerch. But the boy meant to rule this grand empire, cannot read. He cannot write. Wylan is a boy who will never grow to be a man. He is a disgrace to my house."

"The letters..." said Aeolian, and Kaz could see a new kind of anger on her face. "You weren't pleading with him to come back. You were mocking him."

Aeolian was right. If you're reading this, then you know how much I wish to have you home. Every letter had been a slap in the face to Wylan, a kind of cruel joke.

"He's your son," Aeolian snapped. "How could you!"

"No, he is a mistake. One soon to be corrected. My lovely young wife is carrying a child, that child will be my heir, not a fool who would make the Van Eck name a laughingstock." Van Eck spat.

"You're the fool here Jan Van Eck," Aeolian snarled. "Wy is smarter than most of us put together, and he deserves a better father than a pathetic, selfish and insatiate podge like you!"

The words that came out of the Shu girl's mouth hit Van Eck hard, they could all see it. She always has a way with words.

Van Eck clenched his jaws, unable to say another word and blew the whistle twice.

The Tidemakers didn't hesitate. Two huge walls of water rose and shot towards the Ferolind, they crushed the ship between them with a resonant boom, sending debris flying.

Jesper screamed in rage and raised his guns. Jan Van Eck killed his own blood Wylan Van Eck.

"Jesper!" Kaz commanded. "Stand down!"

Matthias laid a hand on his arm. "Be still."

Jesper eyes trailed Matthias, Kaz and Aeolian, they were all still and un reactive. "I don't understand." He shuddered, because he knew Aeolian would flip if something happens to Wylan, this was so unlike her. And Nina was on that ship, and Matthias was still.

"I confess to being a bit shocked, too," said Van Eck. "No tears? No righteous protests for your lost crew? They raise you cold in the Barrel, Mister Brekker."

"Cold and cautious," said Kaz. "Tell me, Van Eck. Will you do penance? Ghezen frowns on broken contracts."

Van Eck's nostrils flared. "What have you given to the world? You take from honest people and serve only yourself. Ghezen shows his favour to those who are deserving, not the rats who eat away at their foundations. He has blessed me and my dealings. You will perish, and I will prosper. That is the will of Ghezen."

Aeolian rolled her eyes and Kuwei almost laughed at the sight.

"There's just one problem. You'll need Kuwei Yul-Bo to do it." Kaz leaned on his cane.

"And how will you take him from me? You are outgunned and surrounded." Van Eck said.

"You never had him. That's not Kuwei Yul-Bo." Kaz smirked.

"A sorry bluff at best." Van Eck puffed.

"I'm not big on bluffing, am I, sweets?" Kaz glanced at Aeolian. After that night, where Aeolian left Kaz at the rail of the Ferolind. They hadn't exchange a single word, until now.

"Not as a rule." A sly smirk passed Aeolian's face.

Van Eck's lip curled. "And why is that?"

"Because he'd rather cheat," said Kuwei in perfect, unaccented Kerch.

Van Eck startled at the sound of his voice, and Jesper flinched.

Kaz sighed. "I do hate to lose a wager. You see, Van Eck, Wylan bet me that you would have no qualms about ending his life. Call me sentimental, but I didn't believe a father could be so callous."

Van Eck stared at Kuwei Yul-Bo or the boy he'd believed to be Kuwei Yul-Bo. Jesper looked just as incredulous. He'd get his explanation after Kaz got his money.

Nina had been a passable Tailor at best, but under the influence of jurda parem, she was able to tailor Wylan into a nearly perfect replica of Kuwei Yul-Bo. And though they could see the fear and hurt in his golden eyes—Wylan's surprising courage, too.

After the battle in the Djerholm harbour, the merchling had come to Kaz to warn him that he couldn't be used as leverage against his father.

Kaz had expected the boy to balk at the idea of being tailored to look like Kuwei. A transformation that extreme was beyond the power of any Grisha not using parem. "It may be permanent," Kaz had warned him.

Wylan hadn't cared. "I need to know what my father really thinks of me."

And now he did.

Wylan was a bit taller than Kuwei, his face a bit rounder. But the likeness was extraordinary. Nina's work, performed on the ship before that first extraordinary high had begun to wane, was nearly flawless.

Fury lashed across Van Eck's features. "Worthless," he hissed at Wylan. "I knew you were a fool, but a traitor as well?"

"A fool would have been waiting to be smashed to bits on that ship. And as for 'traitor', you've called me worse in the last few minutes alone." Wylan said.

"Just think," Kaz said to Van Eck. "What if the real Kuwei Yul-Bo had been on the ship you just turned into toothpicks?"

Van Eck clenched his jaws. "Where is Kuwei Yul-Bo?"

Aeolian gave him a disgusted look, he was far more concerned about the Shu boy's safety. Instead of his only son and heir Wylan.

"Let us safely off this island with our payment, and I'll gladly tell you." Kaz said.

"You have no way out of this, Brekker. Your little crew is no match for my Grisha." Van Eck replied.

Kaz shrugged. "Kill us, and you'll never find Kuwei." Van Eck appeared to consider this. He shouted. "Kill everyone but Brekker!"

Kaz knew the instant he made his mistake. They'd all known it might come to this. He should have trusted his crew. He should've talked to Aeolian and planned out like they always did, but after what happened between them aboard the Ferolind, Kaz felt ashamed and frustrated to face her and he knew that he had pissed her off as well.

His eyes should have stayed trained on Van Eck. Instead, in that moment of threat, when he should have thought only of the fight, he looked at Aeolian. Like he always did.

Van Eck saw it, and in an instant realisation struck Aeolian was the prize here, she always was. He blew on his whistle. "Leave the others! Get the money and the girl."

Hold your ground, Kaz's instincts said. Van Eck has the money. He is the key. Aeolian can fend for herself. But he was already turning, already sprinting to get to her as the Grisha attacked.

The Tidemakers reached her first, but only a fool would try to take Aeolian in close combat. The Tidemakers were fast—vanishing and reappearing, grabbing at her. But she wasn't anyone, she was the best spy out there and her knives found heart, throat, spleen. Blood spilled over the sand as the Tidemakers collapsed.

She looked down on her blood covered hands, she had killed a Grisha again. But this is who she was now, she should accept it.

Kaz caught movement from the corner of his eye—a Squaller hurtling toward Aeolian, as Aeolian was staring at her blood covered hands.

"Jesper!" he shouted.

Jesper fired, and the Squaller plummeted to the earth.

Kaz ran towards her without logic or plan. This wasn't him, this was so unlike him.

The next Squaller was smarter. He came in low and in an instant snatched her and dealing her a vicious blow to the skull. She went limp.

"Bring him down!" roared Matthias in anguish as he saw the Grisha carrying Aeolian away.

"No!" shouted Kaz. "Shoot him and she falls, too!"
And that's a risk, Kaz couldn't take.

The Grisha dodged up and out of range, Aeolian clutched in his arms like a lifeless doll.

There was nothing they could do but stand there like fools and watch her shape get smaller in the sky.

Van Eck's guards and Grisha closed in, sweeping the mercher and the trunk of kruge through the air, onto the waiting longboat. Vengeance for Jordie, all Kaz had worked for, was slipping away. He didn't care. The only thing he care about and swore to protect was gone, he had failed her, yet again.

"You have one week to bring me the real Kuwei, Mister Brekker!" Van Eck shouted. "Or they'll hear that girl's screams all the way back in Fjerda. And if that still doesn't move you, I'll let it be known that you're harbouring the most valuable hostage in the world. Every gang, government, smuggler, and spy will be after you and the Dregs. You'll have nowhere to hide."

"Kaz, I can make the shot," said Jesper, rifle to his shoulder. "Van Eck is still in range."

And all would be lost—Aeolian, the money, everything.

"No," Kaz said. "Let them go."

Kaz watched the longboat surge across the water towards Ketterdam, to safety, to a fortress built on Van Eck's impeccable mercher reputation. He felt as he had looking into the darkened windows of the house on Zelverstraat. Helpless once more. He'd prayed to the wrong god.

Slowly, Jesper lowered his rifle. Unable to process what had went wrong. Aeolian was gone, she'd been kidnapped, the fiercest among them. He glanced at Wylan and saw his tear filled eyes, he felt pity for the merchling, not only did his father tried to kill them all but kidnapped Aeolian as well.

Kaz marvelled at his own stupidity. His greatest vulnerability had been right beside him. And now she was gone. She has always been his strength, but his greatest weakness as well.

Jesper was staring at Wylan. "Nina might not be able to put you back. You could be stuck like this."

"Why does it matter?" Wylan muttered.

"I don't know!" Jesper said angrily. "Maybe I liked your stupid face." He turned to Matthias. "You knew. Wylan knew. Lin knew. Everyone but me."

"Ask me why, Jesper," Kaz said, his patience at an end.

Jesper shifted uneasily on his feet. "Why?"

"You were the one who sold us out to Rollins." He thrust an accusatory finger at Jesper. "You're the reason we were ambushed. You were the reason Lin got stabbed. You almost got us all killed."

"I didn't tell Pekka Rollins anything_" Jesper shuddered.

"You told one of the Dime Lions you were leaving Kerch, that you'd be coming into big money." Kaz said.

Jesper swallowed. "They were leaning on me hard. I didn't have a choice! You had me locked up in the Crow Club before we left. If you'd let me_"

Kaz turned on him. "Saints, Jesper, you really haven't learned anything in the Dregs, have you? You're still the same dumb farm boy who stepped off the boat."

Jesper lunged for him, and Kaz felt a surge of giddy violence. Finally, a fight he could win. But Matthias stepped between them, holding them each back. "Stop. Stop this."

Kaz didn't want to stop. He wanted to beat them all bloody and then brawl his way through the Barrel.

"Matthias is right," said Wylan. "We need to think about what's next."

"There is no next," Kaz snarled.

Van Eck would see to that. They couldn't go back to the Slat or get help. Van Eck would be watching. He'd turn the Barrel, Kaz's home, his little kingdom, into hostile territory.

"Jesper made a stupid mistake," said Wylan. "But he didn't set out to betray anyone."

Kaz stalked away, trying to clear his head. He knew Jesper hadn't realised what he was setting in motion, but he also knew he could never really trust Jesper again. After all because of Jesper's stupidity, Aeolian was stabbed at the first place, how can he let that slide? And Kaz had kept Jesper in the dark about Wylan because he wanted to punish him a little.

In Aeolian's absence. Kaz wanted to hit someone. He wanted someone to hit him. He felt miserable. He wanted to burn the city of Ketterdam down, and he would've, to save her.

He surveyed what remained of his crew. Rotty still hovered by the wreckage of the longboat. Jesper sat with elbows on knees, head in hands, Wylan beside him wearing the face of a near-stranger.

Matthias stood gazing across the water in the direction of Hellgate. Nina and Kuwei were safely stashed in the abandoned cages below the old prison tower at Hellgate.

If Kaz was their leader, then Aeolian had been their lodestone, pulling them together when they seemed most likely to drift apart.

Nina had disguised Kaz's crow-and-cup tattoo before they'd entered the Ice Court, but he hadn't let her near the R on his bicep. Now he touched his gloved fingers to where the sleeve of his coat covered that mark. Without meaning to, he'd let Kaz Rietveld return. He didn't know if it had begun with Aeolian killing a Grisha back at Os Alta to save him or her injury, but somehow he'd let it happen and it had cost him dearly.

That didn't mean he was going to let himself be bested by some thieving merch.

Kaz looked south towards Ketterdam's harbours. The beginnings of an idea scratched. He could see the shape it would take—impossible, absurd, and requiring a serious chunk of cash.

"Scheming face," murmured Jesper.

"Definitely," agreed Wylan.

Matthias folded his arms. "Digging in your bag of tricks, demjin."

Kaz flexed his fingers in his gloves. How did you survive the Barrel? When they took everything from you, you found a way to make something from nothing.

"I'm going to invent a new trick," Kaz said. "One Van Eck will never forget."

If he could have gone after Aeolian alone, he would have, but not even he could pull that off. And he couldn't risk Aeolian's safety ever again by being stupid. He'd need the perfect plan.

Aeolian had wanted Kaz to become someone else, a better person, a gentler thief. But that boy had no place here. That boy ended up starving in an alley. He ended up dead. That boy couldn't get her back.

I'm going to get my money, Kaz vowed. And I'm going to get my girl. Aeolian could never be his, not really, but he would find a way to give her, what he promised her.

Dirtyhands had come to see the rough work done.

✨✨✨

Through hell's gate
The ground shakes
And valor wakes
And so it begins
Vengeance waits
Fury reigns
With all at stake
So it begins
So it begins
Where worlds collide
And blood divides
When darkness falls
Fate calls
This winter breath
Taste of death
Where iron meets flesh
We'll take it all
We'll take it all
We'll take it all
We'll take it all
We'll take it all
We'll take it all
We'll take it all
We'll take it all
So it begins

✨✨✨

💰💰💰

Chapter 45. KAZ of Six of Crows is always a favourite of mine :)

💰💰💰

The next chapter will be the final chapter of this book ;)

💰💰💰

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.3K 262 33
Pekka Rollins has returned. He and Van Eck, who is currently in a fine cell in Hellgate have made a deal with the Shu. Pekka Rollins and the Shu will...
5.7K 78 16
Crows don't just remember the faces of people who wronged them. They also remember those who were kind. They tell each other who to look after and wh...
285 8 7
Theodora Yargos was forced into Ketterdam as a young girl. A pigeon to be feathered. She escapes the man who made her life a living hell and finds so...
238K 12.6K 57
ห–โ‹†เฟเป‹โ‚Š๐•ฌ๐–—๐–˜๐–”๐–“๐–Ž๐–˜๐–™๐–˜ ๐•ท๐–š๐–‘๐–‘๐–†๐–‡๐–ž ARSONISTS LULLABY. (l.) all you have is your fire and the place you need to r...