Shadows

By AngelofThorns

Abused, Neglected, Hated, Unwanted... Alone... These are the words that Victoria Cruz chooses to describe her... More

Shadows
Punishment
London
Suicide or Escape?
Prison or Safe Haven?
Meet the family
Rules
Exploration
Revelations
Meetings
Friend or Foe?
Offers and declarations
Questions and Answers
Trip
Home
Family and Truth
Departure
The Istrati household - my new home
An invitation
I believe you're familiar with the waltz?
Lost
Smothered
Dance
The ball
Thirst
Awakening
Speculation
Guildford
Truth
Date
Prophecy
Departure
Keys and locks
Meeting the King
Twins
Jewels
Training
Surprise
Confrontation
Gift or Curse?
Hunters
Explanation
Protection
A New Path
Reunion
Let the Games Begin
The Long journey
Plans and Allies
Time to Fight
Blood and War
The End or the Beginning

A little help

260 6 0
By AngelofThorns

We walked back to my room dazed and utterly confused. It wasn't like Aurora to get moody, in fact she didn't seem to ever get moody and I envied her for that. Her collective thinking and calm exterior made her amongst the best hunters of the royal family. There must have been something really up for her to be like that.

“Maybe you should talk to her about it?” Dante suggested, but I merely shook my head and gazed out of the window.

“If she wanted to talk about it then she would have. She was right though, I do need to look for that jewel... not that I have any clue as to where it is or even what it looks like” Dante reached over and rubbed his palm along my back, a gesture that's meant to assure the person that everything will be ok but instead it left me feeling more nervous and on edge, she was also right when she stated that now wasn't the time for romancing. I had to keep the hormones under wraps or the war will start before I have a chance of finding that jewel. Hell for all I knew it was probably closer than I thought. As I gazed out of the window at the vast forest that surrounded this place, I couldn't help but feel saddened by the fact it was now inhabited by bastards who wanted to destroy this family... my family. I could not allow that to happen. I would not let that happen … even if it were the last thing I do.

“You need to stop worrying” he whispered in my ear, each breath sent shivers along my skin

“It's hard not to when everything you've ever known is a lie... then when the truth finally comes out and things start looking up.. it all comes crashing down around me” wrapping his arms around my waist, he pulled me closer and kissed my neck tenderly “if you keep doing that you'll be in trouble”

“I like the sound of that” he mused as he trailed kisses along my neck, I grabbed his hands that were around my waist, pulled them apart and stood up before making my way over to the bathroom

“I'm going to run the water... a bath is the only thing that'll soothe these worries I think” I winked at him before I walked into the bathroom. With the door closed I gave an almighty sigh, it was hard to shrug away from him, everything drew me to him, we were becoming as inseparable as the twins were. Rolling my shoulders I walked over to the bath and began to run the water, and added some bubble bath too, Jane always said that was always the key to relaxing if you were stressed or worried.

Soon the room smelled like peaches and I smiled, simple things like these would become less common as this war neared, and it was the little things that mattered the most to me now. Little things like expressions, laughter, smiles, smells... stuff like that. I striped free of my clothes and plunged my cold body into the bubbling brew, every nerve in my body screamed with pleasure as the water caressed me. I didn't even know how cold I actually was till that moment.

“Vicki?”

“Yeah?”

“Is it ok if I come in? I thought id use the shower since you're in the bath an all..”

“Can't you use another one?Or at least wait? I would like some quiet if that's ok?” truth was, I didn't want him coming in here, I wouldn't be able to control myself if I saw him naked. Now wasn't the time to get distracted.

“Nope. Your grandfather doesn't like me remember? So I think it's safe to say I won't be wandering the grounds any time soon” the sarcasm that rolled off his tongue annoyed me bitterly.

“Fine” I sighed, I was about to roll my eyes when he walked in completely naked, I had a feeling he may pull a stunt like that,Inhaling sharply I quickly averted my gaze before I turned completely scarlet.

'like what you see?' his voice echoed in my head, I didn’t give him the courtesy of a reply but grabbed the curtain surrounding the bath and drew it shut. The next thing I heard was a very deep throated laugh coming from the other side of the room followed by the thrashing of water.

'you are such a child' I screamed at him in my mind, holding back my own laughter

'You love it really Vicki' he mocked back which resulted in me laughing hysterically, for some reason it just made me laugh. Maybe it was just the way he said it? but whatever it was... it certainly cheered me up.

Hours later we were summoned into the great hall by Roman for a talk about what was happening and what was going to happen in the future. I knew he wanted Dante and I to talk about the attack in the woods in front of the others, but Roman was loosing his touch as ruler... he'd gone soft. Aurora had mentioned it enough times. From what I had seen when I said there was an attack... well it backed up Aurora, yet we both knew we had no place to say such things since technically she had disowned him and this entire family. In the midst of the meeting, Dante's hand snaked its way around my waist which cascaded thousands of shivers along my spine

'You're avoiding me'he echoed in my head

'You're with me all the time' I replied

'You know what I mean, physically... you avoid my touch yet your body begs you to yield'

'I still don't know what you mean. You're touching me now aren't you?'

'When we're alone Victoria. You shrug away from me, is it something I've done?' I leaned into him as I pretended to listen to Roman.

'Don't worry so much, I just have a lot on my mind at the moment... I can't afford to get distracted at the moment that's all.' I gazed up for a moment to find him already staring at me 'I'm sorry if I've offended your or something' he simply smiled at me before averting his eyes back to the rest of them in the room, which I didn't notice were staring at us both.

“Something you want to share with us both of you?” Roman asked us, one brow raised. I glanced at Aurora who was frowning.

“No” was all I said in return. Roman must have realised we weren't listening at all because he sighed and began explaining everything again.

The idea that Roman came up with was a full frontal assault on the intruders, which really just meant a massacre. A lot of blood would have to be shed in order to send the correct message, but he thankfully notified everyone there that they were not to drink a single drop because of a unidentified toxin that streamed through their blood... so he did listen to me after all. He asked Daniil if he thought I was ready for battle and he stated that I was indeed so... apparently I exceeded his expectations and was a fast learner. I felt far from ready though if I was going to be honest, I had never attacked anyone in my life... well other than that one blood thirsty incident when I was little... but that was far from being my fault. I opened my mouth to object to them when Aurora spoke in my mind to suggest I keep quiet, I forgot that there was a bond that meant she felt my emotions at times.

'Sorry'

'What on earth are you sorry for my child?'

'I forgot about the whole... bond thing then'

'You worry too much, I don't mind... but you need to guard your emotions better. Have you been drinking blood?'

'I haven't as much, I’ll probably have some when this meeting is over with... was going to earlier but you know, we were attacked'

'You be sure you do, you're going to need your strength if this plan is to succeed. It will either send out a message... or if they're planning what I think they are, then the war starts tomorrow my love. So be sure to train, eat loads, drink blood and sleep early tonight... and spend as much time as you can with... him, for you never know, It may be your last night... you can't take any chances'

The meeting ended and we all departed to prepare for the attack. I didn't expect things to be so... sudden. So Aurora thought the war was going to be tomorrow which meant I had to find that jewel now. I needed to speak to the twins. Breaking free from Dante, I darted up the stairs and hurried towards their room where I knew they had to be for they were not at the meeting. I burst into the room to find them both sitting opposite each other on the floor, with a ring of lit candles around them. Both their heads spun toward me and with glowing eyes they spoke to me in unison.

“Child of two. Why do you disturb us, we gave you your gift and answers. What more could you possibly want. We are busy with preparations.”

“I don't care what you are doing, I need an answer”

“Is that so” they laughed “What is your question”

“Where is the jewel of light?”

“Oh... I don't think we should give you that answer” they muttered mischievously “I suppose we may as well considering the old fool is going to wage war now. Very well, there is an item of jewellery you possess that holds the stone. Hold the jewel of darkness close to it and it shall glow. Now is there anything else?”

“Thank you so much... and yes, what's going to happen tomorrow?” Both their expressions changed to something that was a mixture of pain, sadness and worry before they stood up and held each others hands. It was only then did I notice that they both looked so young, it actually scared me

“Dear child, do not worry for the likes of us, this is a rebirth cycle for those born with the power over the fates. We will never die... but tomorrow blood shall be spilt on both parts. A massacre shall take place and thousands upon thousands shall die. One who is dear must die for the saviour to rise, only then shall she be angered enough to fight, to save, to feel the raw emotion of the Vampires.” They paused to glance at one another, a silent agreement before they continued “Fight to protect and fight to survive. That's all we can share with you.” I knew I wouldn’t get any more out of them so I turned on my heel and began to walk through the hall to my bedroom when something caught my eye down the hall, Roman the ruler of all dark beings looked worn to then extreme. He stared out the window at the end of the hall with such contempt and pain that it tore at my heart, something was wrong and troubling him... surely it was not me that had caused this?

I walked toward him shaking from both the cold and nerves, this place may as well have been made of ice. I knew that I wouldn't feel it when I became full-fledged but the point still stood. He didn't even notice I was stood close to him for when I tapped him on the shoulder he jumped a mile.

“Victoria, you startled me... what can I do for you?”

“Nothing really, I just thought I would ask if you were ok? You don't look the best... no offence” I began to pick at my nails and looked at the floor, I regretted saying that last part to him. As I glanced up I half expected either his usual harsh and hard expression to return my gaze or at least some outrage but instead what gazed upon me were very weary and watery topaz blue eyes that spoke the worry the old king did not. Something had frightened him and very much to the core. Something I doubted he would share.

“I'm fine my dear... Just concerned about this impending war that will shake this country. The humans expect so much darkness from us but they do not wish to listen when we suggest peace”

“Excuse me?”

“Yes my dear. The government that you grew up alongside with and the royals that you worshipped, has known about this race for such a long time. I have tried to negotiate peace and treaties time and time again but they refuse to listen, all they do is tarnish us all with the same brush as our primitive ancestors.”

“All the tales say the same thing, that you all drink the blood from humans without remorse... I know differently now but maybe that’s all they have to judge from?” but then if they knew about this king, and have actually sat down to speak with him, then they would know that, that was not the case in the slightest.

“Perhaps child... but it is far too late now”

“I guess there really is no way out of this war” I sighed as I glanced toward the floor, all that pressure weighed so heavily on my shoulders “I have to go now... you should get some sort of rest. You don't have to worry in the slightest, just leave it all up to me... I won't let you down Roman.” With that I turned on my heel and walked toward my bedroom. I had to find that piece of jewellery that the twins mentioned earlier, I had several pieces of jewellery in my possession but thanks to Tatiana I now had the Jewel of Darkness which would make this so much easier.

The moment I entered my room I ran straight to my vanity cabinet grabbed my jewellery box and emptied its contents. Earrings bounced along the smooth, make-up crusted surface before settling in the corners. My necklaces landed in a tangled pile whilst the bracelet Aurora gave me bounced and swirled like a twenty pence coin before stopping just inches from the edge. Not bothering to touch any I got up once more, walked over my bedside cabinet and opened the bottom draw to grab the Jewel of Darkness. I slumped down on my bed to just gaze at it. It's dark, violet tinged clouds swirled inside and it just... relaxed me a little

'Focus!' Tatiana screamed in my head, her voice startled me back to the saddened reality that I was stuck in.

'I'm sorry... I just got a little distracted'

'Well you shouldn't! This is important... we both have a lot to do.'

'I know... well this is is mind. The moment I choose to forge these stones is the moment you must make your choice... you can choose to take over, remain as you are... or be free..'

'Why do I have a feeling it wont be that easy' She laughed in my head, and strangely I found myself doing the same, she was right that after all that training this was it for us, however the moment we made our choice... whatever happened, there would still be a fight at the end of it.

I wandered over to the vanity cabinet with the Jewel held tight in my sweaty and shaking palms, about three feet Dante burst into the room and smacked my hands so that the jewel fell to the floor with a thud and rolled along the floor.

“What the fuck was that for!” I screamed at him, he didn't provide me with a reply but instead drew me closer to him. His breathing was ragged and he genuinely looked terrified “Dante?”

“Vicki” he breathed “There was a reason everyone said for you to do it tomorrow and during the war” he pulled back and I swear I saw tears that threatened to fall. He closed his eyes, sighed and the moment he opened his eyes... they were gone.

“What? What's going on Dante!? What is everyone keeping from me!?” I felt more than annoyed that they were still keeping things from me... even now. I clenched my fists at my sides to keep the fury I felt from reaching my face, even if my teeth were clenched.

“You have to do this tomorrow” he replied coolly and calmly “ If it isn't done under a the eve of a full moon then instead of being protected and being able to face each other, then the power of the Jewels shall kill you... I’m sorry I thought they told you. I listened in on your convo with Tatiana.. I shouldn't have I know but I was worried about you”

'Never mind me then' Tatiana muttered

'You know he does, just he is in love me with me...' I reassured her. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.8K 418 22
Jamie is stressing out about her parents divorce,her grades, and not to mention the emotional and physical bullying at school. After her mother goes...
91.7K 1.8K 29
a girl named y/n was wondering around at the age of 19. she was wondering around a old abandoned city or just a little town till it gets dark and she...
59.6K 648 9
As a werewolf, loving your mate and being loved by them is a given. So what happens when your mate hates you? Maya - a carefree, loving and beautiful...
412K 23.8K 103
She is a inexpressible beauty. Beauty the word is for her. A bright smile, beautiful blue eyes, shiny blonde hair, cute gesture made her an unavoidab...