Book 1: The Horse Whisperer (...

By Silver-Tigress

Fifteen year old Emma Morgan and her her family moved to the little island off the coast of England when she... More

Cast
Horses
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Sequel!!
New Book Out!!

Chapter 2

2.5K 47 7
By Silver-Tigress

Emma's P. O. V:

I walk into Bright Fields with Amber the next morning, wearing a long sleeved plain red shirt and matching jodhpurs, my red jacket thrown over it. I wear my silver leaf jewellery set as well. I split off from Amber when I see Pin about to exit from Raven's stall, glaring after Zoe.

"Hey," I greet, and he glances at me, his glare morphing into a smile.

"Hey."

"What happened? You're grumpy," I state.

"It's nothing. Zoe charged into the field when I was lunging Raven," Says Pin and I groan in exaggeration. "He broke free of me and tore the lunge rope from my hand.

I say, "How's your hand?"

"It's fine," He says, opening the door.

I stop Pin before he could leave and examine his hand. There was a light red line where the lunge rope had scraped his skin when Raven had taken off.

"It needs some ice. Come on," I say, leading Pin out of Raven's stall and locking the door behind me. Then I head for the tack room and find out some ice from the mini fridge's freezer. I grab a cloth and dampen it in the sink before wiping Pin's injury clean. After wiping the blood from Pin's hand, I firmly press the small plastic ice bag in his palm.

"How's that?" I ask, flicking my brown eyes up to his.

"Better. Thanks," Pin says, smiling at me, which I return.

"You're welcome."

I blush lightly and a moment later, we hear Sam's voice. "Alright, guys! Listen up!"

"I guess I should go," I say, pulling away from Pin who nods his head. He leans forwards and kisses me sweetly before we pull apart.

I exit the tack room and go over to Zoe, Becky and Jade, a black and white Gypsy pony with them, my little sister lingering by them.

"The People Pony Magazine are visiting the yard today," Sam announces, making everyone else clap and cheer.

"It's like, news for horses," Becky says.

Zoe says, "I didn't know horses could read." She notices me and goes to say something, but Sam was already speaking again.

"So this is our chance to let the stables shine! To spread the word about Bright Fields and bring lots and lots of new riders our way!" Sam says, fingers crossed.

Marcus clears his throat as he says from behind her, "Well, hopefully, anyway."

"Speaking of which, this is Zoe," Sam says, gesturing to Zoe. "She found Raven, so we owe her big time. So let's make her feel welcomed."

Zoe holds up her hand as everyone bursts into another round of applause.

Sam adds as she backs away, "If you have trouble getting ready for the shooting, come find Marcus, or me."

Jade says to us, "Marcus is Sam's cousin."

"He's the best rider in the yard," Becky adds.

"He's really nice," Jade says as Marcus comes around.

"He's talented and handsome, and I love him," Becky utters as Jade shakes her head warningly.

Marcus walks past as he says to Zoe, Amber and I, "Hey."

"Hi," We say back, making Becky look all excited.

"I've got to get Soverign ready," I say, turning to leave. I head back to the tack room to grab the stuff I need to get my palomino ready.

"I gotta go," I hear Zoe say as I walk up to my horse's stall, equipment in hand. Jade and Becky follow her away from the hitching post.

"Where are you going?" Jade asks.

"I'm supposed to meet up with my mum," Zoe sighs.

"You can't leave!" Becky says, grabbing Zoe's arm and stopping her. "You just got here. Plus, I can't carry the hay bales on my own. Come on!"

Zoe, Becky and Jade leave but I'm stopped by Mia and Susie as I set my stuff down at the hitching post. "Hey, Horse Whisperer." I turn to them. It was Mia who'd addressed me. "My friend from school is on the cover of the People Pony Magazine. I think it would be really good for the yard if I was on the cover too."

"You certainly have a pretty good chance. Firefly's so lovely," I say, glancing toward the flea bitten gray gelding.

"Oh, no. I want to be photographed on Raven."

"Uh, no way," I say immediately, folding my arms below my chest.

Susie tells me, "Mia's one of the best riders in the yard."

"And you say you're a Horse Whisperer?" Mia scoffs with Susie. I just purse my lips.

"I'm sorry, but the answer is no. That horse is dangerous and can trample you. He needs more time to build trust. I can barely ride him as he is. He's not ready for this kind of thing. End of discussion. Now, go get your horses ready for the shoot," I say before I turn on my heel to walk away from them.

I was stopped by Sam as she says panicked, "Em, please! Help Mia with Raven. If she doesn't ride him for the shoot, they'll take their horses elsewhere, and Bright Fields will go broke. Please do this. Besides, she only wants to sit on Raven. That's all."

I hesitate for a moment before heaving out a sigh. "Ugh. Fine! I'll do it."

"Thank you, Em!" Sam says, hugging me fiercely.

I go and get Raven's tack as Amber joins me. "Are you seriously getting Raven ready?"

"Sam guilt tripped me into it," I say, heading for Raven's stall.

"Well, I know that if anyone can get Raven ready for the shoot, it's you, sis," Says Amber.

"Thanks. I think."

Amber goes to get Merlin ready while I enter the stall and clip the lead rope onto Raven. I then slip his bridle on.

I carry the tack as I calmly lead Raven out of the stall, meeting up with Pin and Zoe on my way out.

"Here, let me take that, Em," Pin says, taking his saddle from me.

"Thank you, Pin," I say, and we head for one of the arenas.

Pin tells me on the way that Sam has asked him and Zoe to assist me.

Zoe says as I lead Raven to the fence with Pin next to me, "Okay, I know we didn't get off to a great start, but seeing as we're going to be working together, I was hoping we could..."

Zoe was talking and walking behind Raven where he couldn't see her, startling him and making Raven jump side ways.

"Easy, easy," I gently shush him, keeping a firm grip on the lead rope. "Whoa, whoa." I place my hand comfortingly on Raven's neck. I say to Zoe, "Don't walk behind horses like that. They can't see you, and it can spook them." She holds up her hands in surrender.

"So I was hoping we could start over," She says to Pin. "I'm Zoe."

I tie Raven up, before I reach for the Back flower essence. I run it on my hands and hold them out to the black horse. He inhales the scent and I stay like that for a few moments, until Raven relaxes.

I remember the first time I did join up with him, during a Pony Camp demonstration.

I stand by a tense Raven in the sandy arena with kids gathered around as I gaze into his eyes. They were frightened.

"Ok, Raven. Let's do this," I murmur, studying his face. I unclip Raven's lead rope and I let him take off, startling some kids.

I then go after Raven as I swing the lead rope to urge him to canter around me.

"Come on, Raven! That's it, boy! Come on!" I encourage as we keep at this for a full minute. I then go to stand in front of Raven who looks like he's about to charge right over me. I remain calm and with my head bowed.

Raven stops before me and rears up, hooves scraping the sky. Everyone gasps as he lands on the ground. But Raven doesn't move again. I remain in my relaxed position as Raven seems to consider coming to me, his nostrils flaring widely.

Finally, he steps over to me and stops before me. I raise my head as I smile. The crowd claps and cheers as I stroke the left side of Raven's neck with my right hand and smile at him.

"Good boy." After clipping on the lead rope again, I'd used Bach flower essence to help calm him further while I racked him up.

The crowd had clapped more, except for Mia, as I'd mounted Raven and rode him around the arena.

I say to Zoe, "Pass me the saddle cloth and try not to get yourself killed."

"Is it this?" Zoe asks, holding up the yellow saddle cloth. I nod my head.

"Before we start, it's best to let the horse "look" at the saddle cloth," I say, taking it and stepping up to Raven. I hold it out to him and allow Raven to sniff the cloth pad as I slowly turn it in my hands.

"Why is she doing that?" Zoe questions.

"She's showing Raven the saddle cloth so he knows it's not going to hurt him," Pin explains for me.

After I'd shown Raven pretty much every inch of the saddle cloth, I step forwards and gingerly place it on his back. Raven doesn't tense and I place the saddle cloth on his back, receiving no reaction.

Zoe and Pin grin as I send them one of my own, stroking Raven's neck. "Good boy!" I say happily, seeing Raven looking calm and relaxed. "See? That's not so bad, is it?" I ask Raven, standing by his head and cupping his face with my right hand as I stroke his muzzle with my left. "Zoe, could you pass me the saddle."

She nods and picks it up off the fence before handing it to me. I take it from her and show it to Raven just like I'd shown him the saddle cloth. Once Raven was satisfied it wasn't harmful, I step up to him and slowly lower it onto his back. He still doesn't tense like before and I go to lower it when he relaxes but Raven whinnies and skirts side ways. I skirt out of the way as fast as I could, nearly tripping over my own feet in the process, and quickly take the saddle away.

"Easy, easy boy. It's okay," I say soothingly as Raven relaxes again. I hold the saddle with one arm and gently hum the song as I stroke his mane. Raven relaxes further and I show him the saddle again. Once more, I slowly lower the saddle onto his back, but Raven doesn't tense.

I take that as a sign I can continue and gingerly place the saddle onto Raven's back. Still no reaction. I swiftly do up the girth tight enough so the saddle doesn't slip, but Raven still doesn't react.

I lean against his shoulder in astonishment as I look back at Zoe and Pin. We exchange joyous grins with one another.

I hug the black horse out of joy. "Good boy, Raven! You did it! Good boy!"

"Emma is amazing," Zoe says.

"I know. It's like she can tell what a horse wants and knows what to do in return," Pin says in a tone full of awe.

I pull back from my hug and stroke Raven's forelock, before I give him a sugar cube. I give Raven a kiss on his muzzle before I turn to Pin and Zoe. I untie raven and go to hand him over to Pin while I got Soverign ready, but he takes this chance to gallop off, pulling the lead rope right out of my hands, letting out a frightful whinny.

I gasp and nearly tumble over when Raven gallops to the other end of the arena, calling, "Raven!" Zoe and Pin go to run up to him but I call, "Stop! Don't run at him like that or he'll feel trapped. Give him room. Now. Zoe, get me another lead rope."

Zoe and Pin step back and the ravenette goes to get the lead rope, while I walk calmly past them, and stop before the black horse. I let him continue to canter around me, startled.

"Come on, Raven. It's alright. No ones going to hurt you," I say, still not approaching him. Pin and Zoe watch as he canters around me.

I still don't go near Raven, as I want to let him come to me. This method is called join up, where you build trust with your horse through body language and positioning. After another three circles around me, Zoe returns without her blue shirt on and lead rope in hand, while I slowly turn away from Raven.

Zoe is stopped by Pin and she asks him, "What's Emma doing?"

"It's called join up. It's a method of bonding with a horse through body language and positioning. Izzy is letting raven come to her," Pin explains.

They watch in silence as I hear Raven slow to stop and stare at me. Then, he slowly approaches me after a moment. When Raven pops his head over my left shoulder, I smile at him and cup my hands around his face, gently stroking his nose.

"Good boy, Raven. It's alright. No one's going to hurt you," I murmur. We remain like that for a few more seconds before I grip the reins and calmly lead him up to Zoe and Pin.

"Wow. That was amazing," Zoe comments.

"Thanks. I've read all about how to gain a horse's trust and help them overcome their troubles in books I've read," I tell her as Zoe hands me the lead rope.

"Here you go, one lead rope," Zoe says, holding it out to me.

Pin says as he gazes past us, "We're out of time." Zoe and I look to see Sam coming in with an old man wearing a hat and shades, camera in hand. I take it he's the photographer.

"Well, then, we'll just tell Mia that he's just not ready," Zoe suggests.

I hand Pin the lead rope after clipping it on as I say, "You really don't know Mia, do you? Now, I have to go get ready for the photo shoot," I say.

"Ok. See you then, Em," Says Pin.

I leave them to bring Raven in while I go get my own horse ready.

         🐴🐴🐴

I stand beside Soverign in between Marcus and Amber, Merlin next to her.

Sam says as she leads the photographer inside, "It's my dad's place. It used to be bigger but we had to sell one of the fields. Still, we're busy. Busy enough for now."

Becky says nervously to Bob, "He's coming. Please, Bob be good."

Jade says, "Focus, Becky. And, remember: distinctive!"

"What an unusual looking pony," The old man says as he approaches the Gypsy pony.

"His name's Bob," Becky introduces.

"Bob? Hello, Bob," The man says. Becky puts her arm around his neck as he starts snapping pictures. After a few seconds, he notices Soverign, and his eyes seem to light up. "What a beautiful horse."

Just then, Mia steps into the arena, helmet in hand. Mia goes up to Marcus as she demands, "Where's my horse?"

Mia and I follow Marcus's gaze when he gazes behind his horse, Monty. "Careful, Mia," He tells her before I could. "It looks like they've got him on ropes, but—"

"Pin!" Mia calls, completely ignoring Marcus. Pin leads Raven over as Mia clips on her helmet. The man is so engrossed in taking pictures of Bob as Mia calls, having lead Raven forward, "This is Raven!"

The man stops after taking a few more pictures and looks up at the black Friesian horse. He gives a creepy smile as he murmurs, "Beautiful."

He goes over and Becky asks sadly, "What about distinctive Bob?"

I look as Raven starts getting anxious, fidgeting on his feet. Zoe is trying but failing to calm him down. "Sshh, it's okay. It's okay. It's okay."

"He is beautiful," The man says as I hand Soverign's reins to Amber, mouthing that I'll go help, and I duck away to stand beside Zoe.

"I know," Mia says smugly as I stand beside Zoe. "I can take it from here."

I try to say, "But he's—"

"Em, Zoe, it's just you're getting in the way of my picture," Mia interrupts. I let out a sigh as give Raven an assuring pat before Zoe and I go to stand next to Pin. "Now, where do you want me?"

"Where you are is just perfect," Says the man as Sam joins him. "Lovely, lovely." When he snaps a picture, Raven jumps off the ground, but Mia keeps a grip on the reins. Zoe and I exchange weary glances with Pin. "Big smile! Good!"

When Raven tries to back up, Mia mutters unhappily, "Stand still, you stupid horse." She tugs him forwards.

"Looking gorgeous, Mia!" Susie calls.

"It's okay. Sh, sh, sh," Zoe and I murmur as we step forward.

"Zoe, Em, do you mind?" Mia queries, looking at us pointedly. "Marcus, let's try one with me on the horse."

Marcus comes over as everyone else gives weary expressions at this, and he comes over.

"Are you sure about this?" Marcus asks.

"Yes."

Sam tells her, "Mia, be careful."

Mia scoffs, "Can everyone just calm down? I'm just trying to mount my horse, okay?"

"Okay, you're ready? 1, 2, 3." Marcus swiftly hoists the brunette onto Raven's back as the man continues to snap pictures.

Marcus steps back as Mia smiles smugly, saying, "See? No drama."

"Hold that position! The light is fantastic!" The man says, continuing to take photos. As he does, Raven starts getting upset and moves about in place.

I say softly, worry in my tone, "Stop pulling him!" Mia doesn't listen to me.

"Okay. Let's try something else. Let's bring him around this way," The photographer says as he moves to his left, gesturing for the brunette to follow.

"Calm down, Raven! Stop it!" Mia grits though her teeth before smiling. "Is this good? This way."

I murmur again, "Stop pulling him!"

"Lovely! Beautiful! Look at me. Smile!"

"Yeah? Like this?"

"Good. Bring him round," Says the old man. Raven starts as Mia turns him.

"Stop pulling him," I repeat over and over in a whisper, wanting her to just get off him.

"Good," The old man says as he continues to take photos.

However, when Mia goes to turn Raven, he rears up, whinnying. I gasp and run up to Raven, ignoring Sam yelling for me to get away.

I keep a relaxed position as Raven rears, hearing Marcus making sure that Mia is alright.

"Easy, Raven. It's alright. No one is going to hurt you. Ssshhh," I murmur, holding my hands up slowly.

By now, Raven has put his front hooves on the ground again and I've gripped his reins as Zoe comes over and is saying soothing words to him, while I rub soothing circles in his temple and neck.

I continue to do it as I lead Raven over to the side of the arena, Pin quickly untacks Raven.

I hear the photographer ask Becky when she runs over, and I continue my T Touch, "Those girls, the ones with the wild horse? What are their names?"

"Oh, they're Zoe and Emma, and Emma is a Horse Whisperer, and they're our friends!" Becky chirps before rushing up to us.

Once the tack was off, I lead Raven to his stall, leaving Soverign with Amber staring after me, but I don't spare my horse another glance as Zoe and Pin follow me.

I lead Raven into his stall and hold him, stroking the side of his muzzle as Pin and Zoe rub him down, smiling.

When we were finished, Pin suggests I go check on Soverign while he and Zoe put the tack away. We split off but I spot my gelding by the hitching post, next to Bob.

Merlin is next to him, being groomed.

I go up to the palomino and hug his head before I start to untack him and brush Soverign down.

Jade Becky, and I chat about what happened in the arena. A few moments later, Zoe emerges from the tack room and approaches us.

"Don't say anything, but I know how Raven got out," Zoe says, standing before us.

"It was the horse thieves, wasn't it?!" Becky asks eagerly.

"No," Says Zoe with a shake of her head. "Pin forgot to mend the gate." I notice she's wearing his green sweater.

"Oh. Kind of boring," Says Becky in disappointment. "We still don't know who's stealing sedatives. It's definitely horse thieves! Or who Ghost Pony is! Or why Bob's obsessed with the muck heap."

Jade mutters, looking up from her phone, "She's off."

Zoe says, "I guess I'd better head home. My mum will be worrying."

I ask, "But you will be back tomorrow?"

"Will she?" Becky and Jade ask in unison.

"Will I?" Zoe asks, cocking her head.

"Yeah, totally!"

Jade adds, "You've got the Pony Bug now, and, there's no cure for that."

Zoe leaves for home while Jade goes beside Becky and I go up to Soverign. I smile as I hug his head and kiss his forelock. I give the palomino a sugar cube before I lead him to his stall for the night.

"Emma, hey." I turn to see my boyfriend jogging up to me.

"Hey. Zoe told me how you forgot to fix Raven's gate yesterday. I'm glad she's not hurt."

"Yeah. I feel guilty about it."

"Don't be. She survived, and Raven's back," I tell him, placing my hand on his arm.

Pin smiles as he asks, "Do you want to go on a date to the Diner tonight?"

I blush as I reply, "Of course. Same time?"

Pin nods. He kisses my cheek before saying, "See you then, Em."

Pin leaves to do chores as I gaze after him dreamily.

When Amber and I get home, I head into the kitchen to grab a snack of a can of cola and a packet of barbecue flavoured chips. Mum is at the dining table, going through her edits.

A couple of barks reach us and Amber and I grin at the sight of a brown and white female Border Collie named Ruby, and a black male Labrador named Shadow, running towards us.

These are my and Amber's dogs. We walk them usually in the morning and sometimes once in the afternoon. We'd walked them this morning before going to school and the stables.

We crouch down and pat them, Amber giggling when Shadow licks her cheek.

"You were incredible with Raven today, sis," Amver says.

"Thanks. I just feel a strong bond with Raven for some reason," I say.

"How was the photo shoot?" Asks mum.

"Eventful," I say, as Amber grins. "Pin and I are also going on a date tonight. So I'd better get ready soon."

"Ok. Have fun," Says mum as Amber, snack in her hand, and I, go to our rooms to relax and binge watch Heartland on my Netflix account.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 479 29
Born in the city, Allison knows nothing that is going to happen in summer, through the story she leaves to a horse farm for summer, Allison is unhapp...
3.2K 51 24
Two weeks after the County Show cup, things have been going great fir Bright Fields. Stella and Pin are closer than ever, and Zoe has chosen to stay...
24.8K 439 28
After Pin leaves at the end of season 2, where does that leave Zoe, Raven, and Brightfields? Big news for Zoe and the family and a life changing com...
30K 1.1K 22
Rumours are so easy to start. A whisper here, a whisper there, passed on person by person. This is 12 year old Robin's daily existence at school...o...