Moons Apart | Ferry's Tale #...

By angelapoppe

The great land of Akna is under the threat of the Hollowers, the infamous enemy no one seems to know about. A... More

A long day
The blanket
World of cards
On the other side (part 1)
On the other side (part 2)
The Cloud Fortress (part 1)
The Cloud Fortress (part 2)
The first lesson
Among one's own
Lord of the Wild
Flutters
Once upon a time...
The fair
Complications
High meeting
The tournment
Serious games

Crossed feelings

1.8K 232 125
By angelapoppe

Matilda's gaze remained as cold as the iciest mountain peak. But that didn't disarm Ferry.

"Matt, what's going on?" he said in a low voice, aware that all the eyes around were on them.

"Nothing's going on," she said loudly, in the same cold tone. "I came here to train."

"I see that," Ferry said, trying to keep his voice down. "But why--"

"Prince Garrett," interrupted Leomh, who had kept some distance, "personal matters or of any other sort are discussed outside of training," he said in human language.

Ferry had no choice but to retire and continue to prepare for a new round of training. Leomh stepped closer. "Prince Garrett, why don't you show your human friend what you've learned so far? I'm sure she will find your fighting technique very interesting, " he added with a grin in the corner of his mouth. "For a start, your young lady friend will sit and watch."

He then nodded briefly at one of his subordinate elves who went toward Ferry, taking his sword out of its scabbard as he approached.

Ferry swallowed the knot in his throat. He had little choice. But he was glad Matilda was not forced to make a fight demonstration in front of everyone. He was sure that none of his comrades-in-arms would treat her gently. On the contrary.

Before beginning, Ferry looked for Matilda's gaze, but she looked away. Instead, he saw Sage approaching and whispering something in her ear. Ferry clasped the hilt of his sword harder, then took his position and greeted his opponent by bringing his sword closer to his face, then lowering it with a short movement of his arm. It was called the salute of honor because the soldiers of the Amalghams Army fought with honor before anything else.

As never before, Ferry was the first to engage in combat. With a shout worthy of a true warrior, he darted at the elf who took a few steps back, amazed at his ferocity. But that didn't last long. When the others surrounded him, eager to witness such a fight in which Ferry seemed to put so much passion, courage left him. All he could think of was Matilda watching her every move and Sage with her, explaining how many mistakes she was making and how she should actually fight. And soon, his knees began to tremble and his blows were less confident. He took a few steps back, which gave the elf an advantage. The young warrior came forward, and his blows became more precise and stronger. Ferry began to retreat. But the blows intensified and Ferry could no longer fight back. He took several steps back under the shower of blows until he stumbled and fell. He heard murmurs and muffled laughter around him. Again. He wanted the ground to swallow him then and there.

Raghnall hurried to reach out and help him to his feet. Ferry dusted off and walked away from the middle of the Cave, where his pathetic sword-wielding demonstration had taken place, and retreated to one of the cold walls. It was enough that he had to endure humiliation in front of his comrades-in-arms. Now he was being put to his knees in front of her.

Raghnall tried to make it look like nothing had happened, pulling on some cotton strips to protect his hands for the next fight. And Ferry spent the rest of the day hitting the straw-filled sack until his knuckles began to bleed. He didn't even notice that he was the only one left with Ragnall, the others enjoying a nice meal, walks or baths in the nearby lake, or some well-deserved rest.

Ferry leaned against the cold wall, then slid along it, exhausted from the blows. Raghnall joined him, sitting down next to him. "If you want, I can help you with training," he said.

Ferry said nothing, staring at a stone in front of him.

"I think you need special training," Ragh added.

Ferry shook his head. "I don't need special treatments."

"I was not talking about that. I mean, you need more training. Without being ... distracted by Leomh and his league. They can be intimidating at times. "

Ferry turned to him. "Where could we train without anyone bothering us?"

Raghnall smirked. "I know a place ..."

"Isn't it forbidden to go out after the closing time?"

"Not if we do it for a noble cause," Ragh smiled. "And what better cause can there be than to become a good fighter? Besides, I think we can sneak out when everyone is sleeping."

Ferry gave it a thought. He was tired of making mistakes. He knew that even if no one said it to his face, they were all disappointed with his performance so far. Or their lack of, rather.

"When do we start?"

***

After training, Ferry planned to see Wind, his horse. He used to spend time with him feeding him or weaving his thick mane. He took some green apples from the pantry, Wind's favorites, put them in a sack, and headed for the stables. He kept his head down so as not to meet anyone's eyes. The news spread quickly inside the fortress, and even though the inhabitants of the Cloud Fortress looked at him with hope and joy, Ferry felt some restraint in their eyes. Did they begin to doubt him, as he did?

With thousands of thoughts crowding in his head, he didn't see the person coming from the opposite direction, colliding with her and scattering the apples. Without looking up, he tried to gather them as quickly as possible. He saw a delicate hand reaching out to him, holding an apple. He knew that fragile hand, with thin fingers and bitten nails.

"Matt ..."

The girl smiled at him, handing him the apple.

"Keep it," he said, unable to take his eyes off her. Matilda was wearing similar attire, but tailor-made - tight-fitting trousers, knee-high boots, and a thick brown waistcoat, tight on her thin waist and tied with laces on sides. This time, she had no tunic on and Ferry noticed the thin white blouse that had slipped, leaving her delicate white shoulders visible. Her hair had grown out and it was now tied in a messy bun. Several dark, shiny strands came off her bun and fell on her thin neck, covering one of her collarbones.

Ferry had to say something so he wouldn't stare. "I'm going to the stables to see my horse. Do you want to come with me?"

Her eyes twinkled and for a moment, Ferry thought she would join him and talk about everything again, laughing and joking. But then a shadow of sadness descended into her big, dark eyes. She slowly shook her head.

"I can't... I have to get to--"

"We can talk here if you want," he insisted for fear she might run away from him again.

Her forehead frowned. "Talk about what?"

Ferry couldn't believe it. "About what? Matt, would you listen to yourself? We haven't seen each other since we got here, let alone spend time together. What's going on?"

Matilda looked away. "I've been busy..."

"Busy with what?" Ferry asked, louder this time as the inhabitants of the fortress passing by began to look at them suspiciously. "Matt, I've been busy, too. Only I know how hard it is for me to get used to this place... With days that look like nights and nights that look like days. With weapons and training. With these new people, with this world... I just wanted to see you. I'm sure if I had seen you from time to time, it would have been easier for me..." 

Matilda said nothing. She tried her best not to look him in the eye.

"I missed you ..." he said softly. "Didn't you miss me at all?"

She finally looked at him, shaking her head. A few Amalghams women returning from the stream with baskets full of freshly washed laundry threw a few confused glances, then whispered to each other.

"Ferry, it's not that simple ..." she said softly, almost in a whisper.

Ferry sighed. "It should be. I just want to see you. What's wrong with that? "

Three elven soldiers passed them by. They greeted Ferry with a short bow. Yet, they looked at Matilda the way masters looked at their servants. If there was one thing Ferry despised the most about the people of Akna, it was their way of treating people.

"Let's meet somewhere where we can talk quietly," he whispered.

But she was still hesitant. "Ferry, I don't think it's a good idea ..."

She stopped and stared. Ferry saw her frown and her gaze darkened at the sight of someone, somewhere behind him. He turned and found Oona, smiling at him as she twisted a strand of her hair on her finger.

"Oona, what are you doing here?" he asked.

"I've been looking for you, fairy-boy," she said, clutching his arm with her long, thin arms like willow branches.

Matilda rolled her eyes.

"Why were you looking for me?" Ferry asked.

"I lost one of my earrings," she said, and the corners of her mouth dropped as if she were a child crying over her dropped lollipop. "I was thinking maybe you could help me find it."

"Where did you lose it?"

"In the meadow by the river when I washed my clothes," she said.

Matilda wanted to step away. "I should go ..."

But Ferry took her by hand. "No, Matt, don't go." He then turned to Oona. "I can't now, Oona. I'll come help you later, okay? "

But Oona's lower lip dropped and her eyes got filled with tears. "But if I wait too long, a blackbird could confuse it with a pearl and peck at it ..."

"I can help you find him," Raghnall's voice came from behind them, startling them all.

The tears dried out in Oona's eyes. She took a deep breath. "Don't tell me, you don't just have sharp ears, you also have sharp eyes ..."

The spark in Ragh's eyes shattered and the young elf took a step back, his head bowed. Matilda and Ferry watched the two of them stand close to each other and yet so far away as if an unseen barrier separated them. Matilda frowned and looked at Ferry, who shrugged.

Oona turned on her heels and tossed her red hair on her back. As she turned her back on Ragh, her long strands fluttered in the wind for a moment and touched the young elf's cheek, and Ragh inhaled the scent of wildflowers from her hair.

Oona approached Ferry and Matilda and her eyes remained on their holding hands. After a moment, Matilda pulled her hand slowly and took a step back. Ferry could see the distance between them growing.

"Please, fairy-boy, I have to find my earring. It means a lot to me, "Oona said and her hand rested on his arm, and her eyes flooded with tears again.

Ferry searched for Matilda's eyes and when he met them, he didn't read irritation, as he expected every time Oona appeared between them. It was rather a sad and resigned look.

"Prince Garrett," Matilda said in a low voice as she made a small curtsy. Then she left. 

Ferry wanted to follow her, but Oona stopped him, motioning to some Fortress residents who had stopped and watched the whole scene, whispering in each other's ears. "Let her go," she said in a serious tone. "This is better. For you both."

Ferry watched Matilda's thin figure move away. He hadn't even had a chance to ask where she lived or if she even lived in the Castle.

"I should go, too," Raghnall said, avoiding looking at any of them, and before Ferry could say something, he disappeared.

Oona nodded, looking pleased. Her tears were now gone.

"Where did you say you lost your earring?" Ferry asked with a sigh.

A wide smile covered Oona's bright face. She took his hand and pulled him after her. "Come."

They slipped through the crowd that had formed around them, as it happened every time Ferry left the castle.

Oona led him into a clearing by the quick-flowing river behind the castle. Unlike the trees that guarded the Fortress, the clearing trees were thick and short like gnarled dwarfs ready for hard work. They were still in bloom and their sweet scent reminded Ferry of the spring in Goodharts. It was strange how this place, so different from everything he knew, reminded him of people and places at home.

Ferry stepped onto the soft moss carpet that covered the ground, following Oona through the twisted-trunked trees. The strips in her pistachio-colored long dress stretched out on the moss carpet in front of him, and Oona sometimes looked like one with the leaves and grass. The rustle of her dress was the only sound he could hear as if the wind and all other creatures had gone silent as she stepped into the woods.

"What is this place?" Ferry asked.

Oona shrugged. "I  discovered it when I first came here. I like it. I don't mind being alone, " she said in a soft voice that surprised Ferry. " It's so quiet that I can hear my thoughts."

Then she bent down suddenly and picked up some grass. "Here you are," she said cheerfully. She turned to Ferry. "I found it," she added, pointing to a delicate white bead that shone in her palm. It looked like a pearl flower.

Ferry frowned. "Oona, stop doing this!"

Oona's eyes widened. "Doing what?"

"Stop looking for excuses to see me or talk to me. To get between me and Matt. "

At Matilda's name, the red fairy grimaced. "I don't understand what is so special about this girl anyway. If I didn't know, I'd think she charmed you both. "

"Both?"

"You and Sage," she said. "Every time she shows up, Sage looks like a puppy. And you--"

"What about me?"

Oona turned to him and glared. "And you look like her eternally loyal subject when it should be the other way around. It's not as if she's a queen or a goddess. Quite the contrary. A poor mortal. "

Ferry clenched his fists. "Stop talking about her! She's-- She's-- "

Oona smirked. "What? What is she to you, fairy-boy? What does she really mean to you? " she added, taking a step closer. Ferry felt lost in her deep eyes that seemed to never blink.

"She's my best friend," he said half-heartedly, though he wasn't even sure about that anymore.

Oona got even closer. She was so close now, that Ferry could smell the wildflowers in her hair and felt the breath of honey and milk on his chest.

"What am I to you, then?" she whispered, and her lips seemed redder and fuller while her pearl-like teeth gleamed between her parted lips.

Ferry felt his heart pounding in his chest. He took a step back. But Oona took another step towards him and the distance between them turned even smaller. And before he knew it, Oona wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed her lips to his. Her lips tasted like honey, fresh milk, ginger, and hay. Ferry felt stings on his own lips that went down to his chest, making him lose his breath for a moment. He remained with his hands suspended in the air and his eyes wide open as Oona pressed her slender, slippery body against his. Her firm, fresh lips kissed his mouth insatiably, down to his neck. The fire from her hot lips sent shivers all over his body, and Ferry forced himself to remain stiff and motionless as if he were an old stone that not even the strongest wind could break. When he came to his senses, Ferry shrugged and pushed her away from him. Oona looked at him with big eyes as if nothing had happened.

"Oona, what do you think you're doing?" he tried to keep his voice low, his temples pulsating. "What if anyone sees us?"

Oona chuckled. "So? Let them see us! Why do you care? "

Ferry felt his chin clench. He was trying to control his body tremor. "Of course I care! That shouldn't have happened, " he said, glancing at her. "It will never happen again, do you understand? And don't you dare tell anyone! "

Oona was pouting. "Why are you so upset? Didn't you like my kisses? " she said, taking a step closer to him again.

But Ferry took a step back, almost tripping over the thick roots of a rhododendron behind him. Oona chuckled again.

"It's not about that. I just don't like your games. Stop playing with me! "

The smile disappeared from her face and her eyes lost the playful glint. "I don't play any games. Not with you. I like you, Ferry. I've always liked you, " she said and approached him again, the scent in her hair making him dizzy for a moment. "I think we make a good match. Don't you think so? "

Ferry pulled her away from him again, this time gentler. He shivered at her touch, and he marveled at the effect the red-haired fairy had on him.

"It takes more than liking to make a good match," he said softly.

"Like what?"

"Like love, maybe?"

Oona laughed out loud and her laughter filled the clearing. But Ferry felt something heavy and bitter in her laughter.

"Love," she repeated, and her voice turned hursh as she spoke the word. "Love makes you weak. You can't think clearly and you make a lot of mistakes. You can't focus, and things like eating or sleeping don't even matter anymore. And when love is gone, your whole world shatters. " She then looked Ferry straight in the eye, and he saw a glint he had never seen before. "How many of the people you loved are here with you right now?"

Ferry thought for a moment. He hated to admit that she was right, and many of those he truly loved were not with him now, for one reason or another. Then he saw that unfamiliar gleam disappear from Oona's gaze and was replaced by the cheeky one he knew so well.

"But you liked my kisses, didn't you?" she chuckled.

Ferry did not answer, but looked away so as not to be lost again in her deep gaze. He couldn't tell if or how much he liked her kisses. But they had certainly had an effect on him. Something Ferry couldn't define yet.

"Promise me you won't tell anyone about what happened between us, Oona," he said at last.

"Why not? Kissing is a pleasant activity. More people should do it around here. It would make them less serious and grumpy."

Ferry took a deep breath. "Promise me, Oona!"

Oona sighed. "Okay, okay, I promise ..."

Ferry breathed a sigh of relief. At least for now. "Let's get out of here, shall we?" he said.

Oona smiled at him and took a step in front of him, humming one of her songs. But then she stopped, making him stop, too.

"Listen," she whispered.

Ferry listened carefully-- there was a whimper from somewhere nearby. Tiptoeing, he followed the sound that led them to a bush of wild roses. They approached carefully, and when Ferry removed the thorny branches, they discovered a baby fox that startled at their sight. It had one of his paws caught in a chain of thorns.

It was a fox cub with soft, shiny fur. The cub began to whimper and struggle, the thorns getting even deeper into the flesh with each movement.

Ferry approached slowly and, with gentle movements, removed the side that had curled up on the poor animal's leg. A few thorns hurt his hands, and Ferry knew he needed Rosemary's care.

But the fox did not run away, the wound too deep to run. Instead, he whimpered again, shivering.

"He's hurt ..." Oona whispered in a low voice, coming closer. Ferry watched her remove the long strands of hair from her face and saw that gloomy look again.

Oona pulled a bottle of rose oil from the many folds of her dress and sprinkled a few drops on the fox's bleeding wound. Then she picked up a plantain leaf and tied it around the wound. "There, there ..." she said softly, stroking the soft fur and the fox no longer trembled under her touch.

Then she got to his feet, ready to leave.

"Oona, we can't leave it here," Ferry protested. "It needs to recover until it heals ..."

Oona stared at the fox cub with the same stare. Then her voice sounded cold and impenetrable, "It will heal... Sometimes you have to fend for yourself. Sometimes, you have to learn to rely only on yourself, because no one cares, anyway. And you are the only one who can help you ... " she added and her jaw clenched, as her lips tightened becoming just a line.

"But it will die of cold and hunger if it stays here ..."

But Oona left the bush of wild roses, with the same cold mask on her face. Ferry followed her with a heavy heart. Maybe Oona was right. He wasn't sure if she was talking about the fox cub or herself. He couldn't help but think how unpredictable this fairy was and how little he knew her after so long.

They left the clearing, walking side by side, in silence. Ferry heard a whimper behind him and watched as the fox cub followed them, crawling. But Oona continued to walk without even turning her head. Then Ferry realized that the fox was actually following Oona, crawling into the hem of her long dress whose strips caressed the thick grass as she walked.

***

"A penny for your thoughts ..." Ferry heard Rosemary's voice coming from somewhere far away, though she was standing only a few steps away.

Ferry found her smiling. She was wearing the strange hat that covered her ears.

Rosemary was teaching him about plants, herbs, flowers, trees, and their powers. And for that, Ferry had to observe them with his own eyes whether they visited the paths near the castle or ventured into the surrounding meadows. Ferry had a notebook made of book-tree leaves where he diligently wrote down all the lessons.

This time, however, he could not concentrate. He forced a smile, but Rosemary knew him better. She came closer to him and studied his forehead, now crowned with stars in the warm light of the star.

"Sorry," he apologized. "I've had a lot on my mind lately ..."

"You mean something other than training and a certain person?" she smiled.

Ferry sighed. "It's not just that... I've had some weird dreams lately," he said, shaking at the memory of the dream about his mother. "The last one seemed so real ..."

"Dreams are only echoes of our deepest desires. Pieces of regrets or memories dug deep in a corner of a mind that rise in sleep like seeds scattered by the wind. They mean as much when we sleep and as tangled and meaningless when we wake up. But, of course, there are different sorts of dreams... "

"What sorts?" see Ferry.

"Those who come from nowhere and from anywhere. Signs. Warning. That show us somethings else exists, something other than we know or feel... Messages everything around sends us... "

Ferry frowned. "In this case, I'm not very upset about the message being sent to me ..."

"You want to tell me about it?" 

Ferry shook his head no. "I'm sure it doesn't mean anything. It's just that a lot has been happening lately. My training is not going well ... "

"So I heard," Rosemary said. "News travels fast here."

Ferry laughed bitterly. "Yes... What a disappointment I must be for everyone here ..."

Rosemary, who was picking mushrooms, stopped and looked at him. "You are not a disappointment, darling. Do you know why I think you are not succeeding in what you set out to do? Because you are your own enemy. Fear, doubt... They keep you from showing who you really are."

Ferry looked her in the eye. "And who am I really, Rose? I'm not human, although I've lived among humans. And I'm not a fairy, or at least not the knight of justice everyone expects me to be. I'm not worthy of this. "

Rosemary smiled. "I think you should accept that you are part of two worlds. When you'll be at peace with this, then you will be able to prove to yourself and only to yourself that you are worthy. "

A small amber-colored bird chirped and sat on a branch, nibbling on a leaf. Rosemary reached out and the bird sat in her palm. "Sole-bird," she said. "It's a rare bird. She loves to feed on the nectar of the silphion flower. It's her favorite food. "

Ferry finally opened his notebook and began to write it down. "There are few more of its kind in our world. That's because if anyone on the female side drinks silphion nectar, whether it's a bird, an animal, a fairy, or even a human, they can't conceive offspring even a hundred days after consuming it. "

"But if this bird is rare because of this, isn't the same thing happening to other beings?" Ferry asked.

"Of course. Used too often by any of them, it will make that being barren. Why do you think fairies steal  human children in Tenalach? But if I come to think of it, that also creates a balance. We fairies live long lives. Imagine how crowded our world would be if too many children were born ... "

"But a species without offspring would perish. Doesn't that mean that species is doomed to death? " Ferry asked.

Rosemary did not answer. Instead, she picked a blue mushroom, studying it in the starlight. "Oh, a blue milk mushroom," she said, and her eyes sparkled. "It goes great roasted with some wild garlic. But you have to be careful. It is also called the mushroom of verity. If you eat it, it makes you tell the naked truth  no matter how hard you try to resist ... "she added and put it in the wicker basket she carried.

Ferry quickly wrote down his observations about the fungus. It was never known what he could use them for. And any information was useful in a new world...

"I saw Matt today," he said at last.

Rosemary stopped picking. She turned to him. "And how was it?"

Ferry sighed. "Different. Strange... I don't know ... "

"It's hard for her, too, you know... It's not easy to be the only human here ..."

Ferry frowned. "Why do you say she's the only human here?" What about Finn? Isn't it as hard for him? "

"I mean, the only adult ..." she said, looking away.

"Yes... And the fact that everyone here is against any approach between us makes things even harder ..."

This time, Rosemary looked him in the eye. "You should understand the people here, Ferry. It's not that they don't like Matilda. It has all the qualities in the world to be appreciated and respected. They just don't want history to repeat itself ... "

"What is to be repeated?" he wondered.

"They don't want the one who will lead them to fall in love with a human again... You saw what that led to ..."

"Lavender ..." he said softly.

Rosemary nodded. A flock of small birds slipped through the trees and soared into the sky, getting lost in the distance. Ferry watched them, and the starlight settled on his forehead again. He knew what impression this made on those around him. Rosemary tried not to stare at his haloed forehead.

"Thyme will be back soon," she said, returning to picking the mushrooms.

The news brought him a little joy. "Where has he been all this time?" 

"He and his small army had to liberate several villages attacked by nihils, the servants of the enemy. Everyone is looking forward to his return. I even think we're going to have a little party in his honor.  Setting free so many villages cannot go unnoticed, " she smiled.

"Too bad I can't give him any good news," Ferry sighed. "My progress in the art of fighting is almost non-existent... He will be so disappointed ..."

Rosemary looked up at him. Now he realized how much he had grown since he had come to Akna. "Oh, darling," she said softly, "Thyme is proud of you. He knows how you put into everything you do. We all are. You should know that you are no longer our mission. You are more than that. You're our family, Ferry, " she smiled. "And we are yours," she added, stroking his cheek.

Then she slowly walked away from him, stopping from time to time to pick a mushroom or a plant that she carefully placed in her basket.

Ferry watched behind her as she made her way through the tall ferns. He remained there for a  while until he could see only the top of her strange hat. She didn't call him Garret or Prince. She called him by his name. Ferry.

***

In his half-lit room, Ferry could not sleep. Meeeting Matilda, Oona's kiss, and the conversation with Rosemary made his thoughts rush to her head and chased away his sleep.

The birds seemed to be noisier than usual at those hours when everyone was resting. An owl was even noisier than the others, her hoot filling Ferry's room. He stepped closer to the window. Beneath, he found Ragnall imitating an owl, his palms cupped around his mouth.

"Are you ready for training?" he whispered.

Ferry quickly wrapped his cape and jolted over the wall of his chamber.

Raghnall was waiting for him, wrapped in his cloak, as only his eyes shone.

"I brought you a sword," he whispered, handing it to him.

"But this is your sword," Ferry said.

"Don't mind that, Prince Garrett. I have a spare old one. Let's go!"

Ferry followed the young elf who was sneaking against the castle walls, always looking behind them.

"Is this place far away?" Ferry asked.

"Far enough," Ragh replied in a whisper. "We have to be careful that no one sees us. It is forbidden sneak out during resting time. "

"Then why don't we fly there?" see Ferry.

"Well, not everyone masters the flight here. Not all fairies can fly. And besides, the skies are owned by other beings, much more than in the world in which you grew up. To fly high, where no one sees you, means to collide with birds, bugs, and to collide the winds from above, which are very strong. Not everyone can handle them... "

Ferry sighed. This world was not as he had imagined. His dream was to be able to fly without worries among the clouds above the kingdom, carried on the arms of the wind to the far distances. Then let himself fall and land lightly on a bed of flowers and leaves.

Now he followed Ragh in silence who walking determined in front of him. He jumped over the high walls of the Castle, where there were no guards, crossed the stream and the meadows Ferry knew and stopped at the foot of a cliff whose top was hidden by clouds.

"Shall we raise to our way up?" Raghnall asked and began to climb without waiting for his answer.

Ferry tried to keep up with him, but the rock was slippery and steep and his foot slipped a few times. The higher they went, the harder and colder the air became. Ragnall had long since disappeared into the ring of clouds surrounding the top of the rock.

When he finally reached the top, he found him lost in thought, watching in the distance.

Ferry carefully examined the place. Beyond the clouds, the rock changed, its top turning into a plateau of soft grass and bushes of wild roses. Ferry approached the edge, but Ragnall stopped him with a short gesture. A few stones escaped from under his boot, echoing into the deep abyss that grew beneath them.

A single tree, leaning toward the edge as if wanting to look at the beauty below, reigned over the strange mass of clouds. And above all, the starlight, brighter than anywhere else, enveloped everything around in her silver arms.

"What is this place?" Ferry asked. Although it was the first time he had seen it, he had the vague impression that he had seen it somewhere before.

"It's where I come when I want to be alone," Ragh said softly. "I come here many times... I don't have many friends ..." he added. "Sage was my best friend. But he had to go to the human world. And now-- He's still my friend, I think. But he changed. Older, braver, bolder, and more concerned with... someone else... He doesn't have time for old friends... "

Ferry looked at him, wondering how sad life should be without friends, but he read no regrets on his face.

Then Ragnall shook the thoughts away  and drew his sword from its scabbard, a playful glint in his eye. "Are you ready?" he asked.

Ferry didn't have the time to take his sword out as Raghnall darted at him.

"Ragh, slow down," he said, taking a few steps back.

"Rule number one," Ragh shouted, as if he had an audience around him, "in a battle, don't wait to attack. Attack first! And roar like a wild animal if needed. It will intimidate your opponent and make him hesitate. "

And the blows began to fall one after the other as if it were raining with them. "Rule number two," Ragnall shouted amid blows, "don't be hit! Block, avoid, counteract any blow. "

With a deep breath, Ferry tried to withstand the blows. Ragh's sword, though old, was still a real sword, not like the ones they trained with in the Cave.

"Rule number three--hit your opponent! If possible, find a vulnerable spot and try to target that spot, " he said, trying to reach Ferry's neck, who avoided, stung, and hid behind a bush, trying to protect his chest, which was now the most vulnerable spot. 

"And rule number four," Ragh shouted, barely breathing, "always look good while you do this ..." Then he rose into the air above Ferry and began to spin so fast that the blade of his sword flashed under the starlight. Before Ferry came to his senses, Ragh rushed at him and knocked him to the ground. The tip of his sword was now pointing at his neck.

Breathing hard, the young elf threw his sword as far as it could and slumped on the soft blanket of moss.

Ferry did the same, trying to catch his breath. Cold chills ran through his body and he shivered. He looked at Ragh beside him, who had begun to control his breathing, his eyes closed.

"That was some fight," Ferry said with a laugh in between breaths.

Ragh sat up on one elbow and smiled at him. His white teeth gleamed and his eyes, as black as the night sky, looked at him intently. But his smile was warm and friendly. "It worths any punishment, doesn't it?"

Ferry nodded. "Even going to the Dark Room?" he asked.

Raghnall stopped smiling, this time. He got up from the ground and began to dust off his clothes of dirt and grass.

"You wouldn't want to get there, believe me," he said in a low voice.

Ferry got up and came closer. "Have you ever been to the Dark Room, Ragh?"

Ragh turned his back on him to avoid his look. He nodded slowly.

"What is this room? And why is everyone so afraid of it? " Ferry insisted.

This time Raghnall turned to him. All the joy, all the enthusiasm, all the sparkles had disappeared from his eyes. "It's not a room. It's not a room at all. It's a box."

Well, it's been a while... Thank you for still being here! I have the most loyal, enthusiastic, patient fan base. It means the world to me. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Let me know your thoughts. As always, love lots!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.4K 4K 48
Secrets can be Powerful. ...But they can also be Deadly. Unable to weld magic dooms Julia to a life of servitude and drudgery. Desperate to break fre...
12.9K 462 25
18+ Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet set in a magical fae world. Two powerful families have ruled over the the dark and light fae for thousands of y...
72.5K 5.1K 52
|Book 2| Andorra isn't human. She's also not just the Fae Princess everyone thinks she is. She's running out of time, running out of ideas, and runni...
485K 45.4K 56
"People in this town are more bound to fairies than they want to admit..." These words have been haunting Ferry for the past six years. Ferry Donova...