Dreams of You

By ChocoluckChipz

The times when magic was commonplace had been long forgotten. And even if rumours of the supernatural do surf... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27

Chapter 4

318 16 3
By ChocoluckChipz

Adrien

Marinette certainly was something. Fierce and fiery, somehow even more beautiful than in his dreams.

"I know we agreed I wouldn't shadow you everywhere, but really?!" Nino grumbled, finally catching up to Adrien, his cellphone in hand. "Don't leave this behind next time you decide to run off. I had to access a secondary tracker to find you."

"Sorry." Adrien offered him an apologetic smile. "I didn't want to lose her—" Sudden pain ripped through his shoulder. Adrien hissed, smacking the spot. Damn kwami! "Plagg, would you stop that? I'm not your scratching post."

"Go after her!" Plagg seethed at his ear. "She's in there. Dormant, but Tikki's in there. Go after her!"

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"Who cares—"

"Plagg, we can't stalk or pressure her. We know who she is, and we'll work on getting close. Slowly. Or would you rather scare her away and have Tikki stay dormant until the next wielder comes along?"

The kwami grumbled, digging his claws into Adrien's shoulder once more. Adrien slapped the spot again, hissing through his teeth, "You either behave or it's string cheese for a month."

"And you should probably stop talking and beating yourself in public." Nino stepped up and patted Adrien on the shoulder. "Let's go. We have a class on the opposite side of campus in fifteen minutes."

Adrien perked up. Science in Ancient Civilizations and Folklore. He'd chosen this one for himself rather than for something Ladybug could be taking. You never know what kind of hidden treasures one can find while looking at material through the lense of a magic user. But before that... He reached into his bag and pulled out the sheet of paper Alya gave him. "This is for you."

"What's this?"

"The girl that sat by Ladybug asked me to pass this to you."

Nino quirked an eyebrow. "The sexy brunette in the orange jumper?"

"Yup."

His friend grabbed the paper with lightning speed, his lips stretching into a grin. "Alya Césaire. I like the sound of that."

"Finally noticing something other than your tech?"

"My tech is what will change your future. You should be thankful I'm so devoted."

"I am very thankful." Adrien chuckled. "Just don't forget that there is more to life than your job and your toys."

Nino rolled his eyes. "'Kay, Mom. Been there, done that. Moving on. How did your pursuit go?"

"She effectively told me to eff off, but I did find out her name."

"Is that so?"

"Yup. Marinette."

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng, to be precise. If you want her number, I have it on file."

Adrien's look was anything but impressed. "Did Max do a background check on her already?"

"Not just her. All of your classmates, professors, and anyone with whom you'll potentially be in close proximity for extended periods of time. No need to thank us. It's only our job."

"Father?" Adrien frowned.

"Nathalie, but we would've checked anyway. One can never be too careful."

Adrien wasn't surprised. He understood, he really did, but it was still annoying to be babied like that.

"So, you want her number? E-mail? Home address? You're on a tight deadline, you know. Any help I can give you wouldn't hurt."

Adrien shook her head. "No. I'd like to do this the old-fashioned way." His watch buzzed. "Speaking of class. We should go."

"Whatever Your Highness desires," Nino murmured under his breath, pulling out his cellphone. He saved Alya's contact as they walked the hallways, spending a tad bit more time than it took to simply add a new contact. After a few moments, Nino's phone chimed and the man grinned.

"Got a date already?"

"Give me half an hour and I will."

Adrien had to do a double-take. "Are you sure you're Nino Lahiffe? The real one was never so eager to get a date in all the years I've known him. And I've known him for a long time."

"That's because he's never met Alya Césaire." Nino smirked. "That girl's a sexy goddess, and if I can get a date with her? Screw you, I'm going for it."

Adrien laughed. "Good. I'm rooting for you."

By the time they reached their classroom, a grin was permanently plastered on Nino's face as he typed away. By the end of the lecture, he'd secured a coffee date on Saturday.

"Congrats." Adrien bumped Nino's fist. "Your first date?"

Nino nodded. "Was totally worth the wait for a girl like this. Perhaps, I'll even thank you one day for dragging me all the way out here with you."

"Care to share some of your luck with me?"

Nino chuckled. "I don't think you need it. You might have made more of an impression on your Ladybug than you realize."

"I'm assuming Alya Césaire told you that?"

"Alya's concerned for her friend and doesn't mind playing a little matchmaking."

"Don't tell me you've been talking about us."

"Why do you think we're meeting up for coffee? Coming up with a plan to get our friends together is much easier face to face. Not to mention the texts can be discovered by people who shouldn't see them and Alya would rather avoid that."

Adrien chuckled. "So you haven't even had one-on-one time with the girl yet, and she's already roping you into schemes against your best friend? I'm not sure she's a good influence on you."

"You'll thank me one day," Nino assured, draping his arm across Adrien's shoulders. "And who said anything about any schemes? No one's going to lock you two in a cold room with only one bed and a thin blanket. We'll just provide opportunities that, I promise, will look like honest accidents. The rest is up to you."

"Is that so?" Adrien hummed. Perhaps, that wasn't such a bad idea. He was on a tight deadline, and opportunities sounded innocent enough.

"She won't suspect a thing."

"If I agree to this, don't do anything that would embarrass Marinette or make her uncomfortable in any way."

"Of course."

"Okay." Adrien nodded. "But only because it'll force you to spend time with Alya. You'd better use it wisely."

Nino's lips tugged in a smirk. "Don't worry, man, I will. I most certainly will."

***

Chat wrapped his arms around Ladybug's midsection, his chest pressed against her back. Burying his nose into the crook of her neck, he breathed in that delicious scent of hers, whispering against her skin, "You owe me a kiss for that welcome, my Lady. Cuddles, and scratches, and then some more kisses."

Ladybug laughed, reaching up to scratch his head. "What did you expect? You embarrassed me in front of a room full of people I'll be stuck with for a year. Now, I shall forever be known as the girl who fell into your lap the moment we met."

An exasperated sigh escaped his lips. "It was an accident. I swear. When you walked in... I was... I was just so mesmerized by how beautiful you were, all flustered and dishevelled, that my body stopped functioning and the cursed pencil slipped my grip. I would never trip you like that on purpose, my Lady. Please, believe me."

"Or would you?" She let a sly smile tug at her lips. "I did end up in your lap after all. I'm sure you enjoyed it."

He grinned against her neck. "You know me better than that. If I wanted you in my lap so badly, I'd have done something a lot more elaborate than dropping a pencil on the floor for you to trip over. There wasn't even a guarantee that you'd end up in my lap instead of, say, on a floor. Why risk it?"

Ladybug chuckled and pulled at his hand, silently asking him to stand beside her. Once he obliged, she gave him one of those smiles he was ready to die for. "I believe you, Kitty Cat. Marinette, though, might need a little bit more convincing."

"I'll do my best but... will you help me? I could really use some tips here."

"Not so confident in your charms after all?"

"Not when the most gorgeous woman in the universe hates me... which sounds ludicrous considering that she's you, and I'm pretty sure you don't hate me, so how can Marinette hate me when you don't? It's so weird to talk about you as two separate people."

Ladybug didn't even bother muffling her snicker, her gaze focused on the stillness of the lake's water. "Sometimes I do feel like two separate people; one that lives here and one that walks the real world. It is bizarre."

Her hand in his, he slowly entwined their fingers together. "I'm sorry."

"No. Don't be. It's fine. I kind of like having this little secret of ours." Another smile, just for him. One he could never get tired of. "Oh, and Marinette doesn't hate you, Chat... Adrien, I guess?"

"Chat is fine. Whatever's easier for you."

"Alright, Chat. Marinette doesn't hate you. Quite the opposite. You've made an unforgettable impression on her. She might be irritated with you, but through no fault of your own other than being hard to forget."

Chat cocked his head to the side, a wide grin splitting his lips. "Is that so? Didn't realize 'hard to forget' was a flaw."

Little bells of Ladybug's laughter echoed around the garden, filling the space with warmth. Gosh, he loved it when she laughed like that.

"It is for Marinette. She's a workaholic who barely has time for herself and her friends, much less for romance. And you, Chaton, shook her world today."

"Did I?"

She turned in his arms, hands reaching for his, eyes searching to catch his gaze. "Those eyes of yours were on her mind all day long. So was your smile and that husky voice you have. You can't blame a girl for being infuriated because of an instant attraction to someone she's thinking is a privileged bully." Her smile soft and loving, Ladybug pressed her palms to his, entwining their fingers. "I might not remember you beyond this... whatever this world is, but the feelings are still there, in my heart. They surfaced when we met today, and they're strong and sudden and completely overwhelming for someone who'd supposedly never met or loved you before. Give Marinette time. She'll come around."

Chat leaned his forehead against hers. "So we're taking this slow?"

"I'd like that. I want Marinette to fall in love with you naturally. Just like I did. It's a beautiful process, and I'd love to go through that again."

His lips on her hand, Chat nodded. They didn't have another choice anyway. The only other way for her to fall for him was to unblock Marinette's memories of her dreams. For that, she had to discover all of the "forbidden" information he couldn't tell her in their dreams, and as of now, Adrien could not reveal his real name to her even if he wanted to. The same went for his royal ties. Making her fall in love with him for the second time it was then.

"As you wish, my Lady." He leaned down for a soft kiss on her lips.

She smiled against him, her arms weaving around his neck. "Want some tips? For melting my heart faster?"

"Let me guess... chocolate?"

Ladybug laughed. "I have more sweets in my life than you know. Chocolate will get you nowhere."

"Jewelry?"

"Do you know me at all?"

"Sweet words?"

She shook her head. "They could be lies. I won't trust you so easily."

"Then what?"

She placed a hand on his chest, just over his heart, her eyes locked on his. "This. Show me what's in there. I want to see your kindness. I want to feel your love. I'd like to see how smart you are. I want to experience your loyalty. Your mischief. I want to laugh with you. I want you to be there for me when I'm not feeling my best. I want you to come to me when you need a shoulder to cry on. Be vulnerable. Become Marinette's friend, and it won't be long before I'm falling in love with you all over again."

His breathing shallow, heart beating out of his chest, Chat captured her mouth with his lips. God, he loved this woman! She drove him crazy. He pulled her closer, their lips dancing against each other. Her arms wrapped around his neck. He'd swear off breathing if it meant this kiss could last forever.

His.

For now, in this place, he wouldn't let anything stand between them. He'd fight until the end; until they were together in both of their realities. It was selfish, but he didn't care. He only hoped she was just as possessive of him as he was of her.

Far too soon, Ladybug pulled away slightly, their foreheads still touching, her eyes searching his as she whispered, "There is something else I have to talk to you about."

Her breath on his lips drove him crazy. Not that he didn't like to talk to her, but right now, having met her in the real world, having somehow fallen in love with her even more, kissing his Lady breathless was Chat Noir's top priority. "After a few more kisses?"

Ladybug chuckled, pushing him away with a finger to his nose. "Down, Kitty. This is important."

He scrunched his nose, pouting. "What could be more important than showing you how much I love you?"

She laughed. He loved that sound. Happy and bright and somehow healing. "It'll never cease to amaze me how affection-starved you are, Chaton."

"Only when it comes to you, my Lady." He grinned, placing a peck on her knuckles.

"All the kisses you want, but after we talk." Her smile vanished, replaced by worry and... shame?

"My Lady? What's wrong?"

She pulled her hand away, clasping her palms in her lap. "Well... you see, I... I didn't think of bringing this up earlier because we agreed to wait until I graduate to have you search for me and... because I... wasn't sure you were..." She hid her face in her hands, mumbling, "I wasn't-sure-you-were-real-beyond-my-dreams."

Chat raised an eyebrow in surprise. "You thought I was a product of your imagination? After all these years?"

"You can't blame me," Ladybug pouted. "My dreams are the only place I meet you. I don't remember you when I wake up, and you're too perfect to be real! Have you even met yourself? Guys like you don't exist. It was perfectly logical of me to conclude that you were only an unattainable, non-existent in real life, dream of mine."

Chat chuckled, an amused smile on his lips. "You think I'm perfect?"

"I think you're a cocky, dorky, and extremely naive man-child who has the weirdest obsession with food and cats."

Chat laughed. That sounded like him. "That doesn't sound 'perfect' at all."

"It does to me."

If only marriage in one's dreams was recognized by the state, he'd put a ring on her finger right there and then. Since it wasn't, Chat brought Ladybug's hand to his lips and lavished it with a lingering kiss, never breaking eye contact with her. "You're beyond perfect for me, my Lady."

Her cheeks flushed with a pretty pink, she let out a soundless sigh and turned away. "So... the thing I need to tell you."

"That wasn't it?"

She shook her head.

"Then what?"

"Well... since you're obviously real and since you found me..." She glanced his way. "Can I assume that your intentions are serious?"

Chat nodded. "I'd never travel across the country for a fling. I even brought my family's heirloom engagement ring with me."

Her eyes widened, a thick layer of crimson covering her cheeks. "An engagement ring?"

"We're soulmates, my Lady," he said softly. "We've known each other our whole lives. We've been in love since we were teens. We've been dating for a few years already. Did you really not expect me to propose at some point?"

She gaped at him, flustered. "Not so soon."

"Which is why I'm not doing this tomorrow. I promise. I have to make sure Marinette is just as in love with me as I am with her before I get down on one knee and beg you to marry me."

She kept watching him wide-eyed for what felt like an eternity. Chat couldn't help but swallow. This wasn't the reaction he'd expect from a girl being told her lover was planning to propose in the near future. Unless...

"Or is marriage not something you see in our future?"

Her lips moved, words stammering out. "That... it's... I..." She turned away, shook her head, slapped her cheeks, and sharply inhaled. "Okay. Calm down, Marinette. Marriage. Yes. Definitely. Someday for sure. I just didn't..."

She paused, deeply inhaled, and, putting her "taking no bullshit" face on, turned to face him. "You know what? It's your fault I react like this! You're a total goofball all the time. How could I expect you to have a ring ready? And even if I did expect you to propose, we were supposed to wait until I graduated to even meet! Almost a year from now. Don't blame me for freaking out on you for announcing your marriage intentions twelve months early. And don't you laugh at me, because I'm pretty sure Marinette will decline your proposal, and then we'll see who's laughing!"

"I'm not laughing." Chat tried to stifle a chuckle. His Lady was beyond adorable when she panicked and rumbled on.

"You are laughing! Look at your grin!"

"I'm just smiling cause you're too cute and so totally wrong." He leaned forward, purring in her ear. "I'm pretty sure you gave me all the information I need for winning over Marinette about five minutes ago. She'll say yes when I propose."

Ladybug glared at him. "Well, even if she agrees—" her face fell. She turned away. "Even if she wants to marry a doofus like you, she's not leaving Dupont. So unless you're willing to relocate, you can forget about it."

Chat blinked, taking a moment to process. He hadn't thought of this as a possibility. He hadn't thought of this at all! "I can't stay for longer than New Year's. I can't explain why, but as of now, that's impossible. Wouldn't you like to live in Paris? Everyone wants to live in Paris."

"It's not a matter of a want," Ladybug whispered, hiding her face from him. "It's a matter of taking on a business that's been in my family for generations, and no one else being able to take over but Marinette."

"No brothers or sisters? Cousins perhaps?"

She looked at him, her eyes answering Chat without words.

"You're an only child." He was one too. So was his father. And his grandfather. So were countless ancestors of his for many generations. Were Adrien to abdicate, there would be a whole lot of mess in trying to locate the rightful heir to the throne. He wished Felix was eligible. He would be a great leader, but he was his cousin from his mother's side and as such had no blood relations to the Crown. Such a mess. He'd have to fix that.

"We'll just have to have more than one baby then," Chat murmured absentmindedly.

She looked at him, her lips parted, a frown marring her gorgeous face. "What?"

Oh, snap! He didn't mean to say that out loud. First, he scared her with an impending marriage proposal, and now, he talked about kids? An awkward grin plastered on his face, Chat tried his best to salvage the situation. "Well... um...what I meant—"

"I'm telling you I cannot move away from Dupont, and because of that our marriage might not be happening, and your fix for that is to have more than one baby?"

"No! I just... I got lost in thought of the downsides of being an only child, is all."

"Do I dare ask how far you went in that thought of yours?"

"Only as far as thinking that I wouldn't want my children to be burdened with having no choice in where they want to live and what they want to do with their lives. If there is more than one of them, then they could decide between themselves who wants to do what. But honestly, I'd be fine with them not taking over anything of mine no matter how many generations of my ancestors... did that thing I'm supposed to do... once I get back home."

Ladybug sighed, returning to fidgeting with her fingers in her lap. "You have something you must return to as well?"

"I do." Chat echoed her sigh. "And I'm afraid it's not something as simple as a family business. Not to diminish the importance of what your family is doing, especially since I don't know what it is, but if I were to leave Paris, that'll affect a whole lot of people and who knows if for the best. I'm talking about on a national level here."

Ladybug's eyes wide, she stared at him in silence.

Chat reached for her hand, entwining their fingers together. "I know I'm asking for a lot, but I'm sure you'll understand once you know the whole truth about me."

"Chat, I—"

"We can take them with us. Your parents, your family business, and anyone else you want. I'll help you open a new location in Paris. In any area you want. Any available building. All the financial help you'll need. I know how important your family is to you, my Lady, and I would never take that away from you. Not if I can help it."

Her eyes focused on him. "Who are you, Chat? What's so important that's holding you back in Paris?"

A bittersweet smile on his lips, a touch of disappointment in his eyes. "I wish I could tell you. I really do."

She closed her eyes, their hands clasped together. "Swear to me you aren't mixed up in something illegal or dangerous."

Chat frantically shook his head. "No, I'm not. I swear. Nothing illegal or intentionally dangerous."

"Intentionally?"

"There are always those extremists who think it's okay to walk into an office and shoot people. I cannot guarantee one of those wouldn't walk into mine one day."

"Will they have a reason to do so?"

"Not if I do my job right, which I fully intend to do."

Ladybug turned away. Her eyebrows furrowing in concentration, she bit her lip. "It's hard for me to decide something or give you an answer when I won't even remember you in the morning. I can't think about it properly or talk with my parents, and I can't promise you anything here, because there is no guarantee that awake-me will follow through. I do know my parents would never stop me if I wanted to move to Paris and leave the business behind, but I'm not sure if I'll ever forgive myself for doing that."

Chat closed his eyes, letting a sigh slip his lips. "Shall we leave this problem for the future awake-us, then?"

Her smile, lovely as it was, was full of sadness. "I don't think we have a choice."

"Will you mind if I try to sway you in Paris' direction meanwhile?"

Her gaze turned curious. "Oh? How?"

"I'll take you there, show you its appeal. You'll fall in love with it and won't want to go back."

She chuckled, leaning closer, resting against his chest. "Alright. It's only fair that you try. You've seen my hometown. I wouldn't mind seeing yours."

"You'll love it," he promised, wrapping his arms around her. "Now, I believe someone promised me kisses."

Ladybug swiftly pressed her lips to his nose. "There. Done. You may leave now."

"Seriously?"

She laughed. "Don't tell me that wasn't enough for you, Kitty Cat."

"Not even close." Chat leaned down, a sly smile on his lips. "You owe me kisses, my Lady. I earned them fair and square. Time to pay up."

"And if I refuse?"

"Then how will you remember me when you wake, even if it's just a faint memory of my touch lingering on your skin?"

Ladybug giggled and pulled him down into a kiss, losing herself in gentle touches and tender caresses. Breaths mingling, bodies pressing closer, groans and sighs escaping amidst the heated dance of their lips. They had to survive a whole day before seeing each other again, and for that, both of them needed something to remember their lover by. Even if those memories would be buried deep in their subconsciousness for one of them.

***

They didn't share any classes the next day. Adrien hoped to see Marinette somewhere on the school's campus, but that didn't happen either. Perhaps, he should've tried to ask Ladybug for her schedule. He'd completely forgotten. Years of carefully avoiding sharing or asking for personal information was a hard habit to break.

"Relax." Nino bumped his shoulder. "You'll meet her eventually. Next Monday at the latest."

With a dejected sigh, Adrien grumbled. "I just want to properly apologize and put this behind us. Is that too much to ask?"

"Can't woo a girl if she hates the sight of you."

"She doesn't hate the sight of me. Ladybug told me so."

Nino's phone chimed. He glanced at the screen and grinned. "That's our cue."

"For what?"

"Going home. Why don't you go ahead while I... er... use the washroom? Don't wait for me and make sure you pass through the main entrance on your way to the parking lot."

Adrien raised an eyebrow. "You want me to take a detour around campus to the parking lot that's just behind the door over there?"

Nino hummed. "You could use a walk to unwind, and the view is better at the main entrance. Believe me, it'll be worth it."

"It's raining. I'll be soaked by the time—"

"Don't you have an umbrella?"

Adrien folded his arms over his chest. "Just spill, Nino. What's going on?"

"The view, Adrien. The view." Nino winked. "You won't be disappointed. I promise, but if you don't trust me, trust Alya Césaire."

"Alya? Wait, is it—"

"Just go already! You don't want to miss the view, do you?"

"You should've said so from the start!" Adrien scrambled, grabbing his things and fixing his hair. "How do I look?"

"Dashing. Make sure it seems like an accident. If we get Alya in trouble, she won't help you again."

"Got it. Pass her my gratitude."

He ran to the main entrance, stopping just before reaching it. An accidental encounter. Make it seem casual. Calm down. Stand straight. Breathe. Ignore Plagg impatiently shifting from one pocket to another. At least he was quiet in public now. That was a win, of sorts.

Marinette was nowhere to be seen. The foyer was mostly empty, with a few random students lingering around. Adrien looked behind the columns, walked up and down the hallway a few times, then stepped outside.

Plagg tensed under his collar; Adrien held his breath. Only one person was standing there. She stretched out her hand, letting raindrops tumble against her palm. Gray clouds reflected in her eyes. Calm and tranquil, almost still in the moment. Marinette had never looked lovelier.

Adrien took a deep breath, taking a step closer, praying in his heart to every deity alive to lend him strength, wisdom, and whatever else he needed to earn the forgiveness of the girl he was planning to spend the rest of his life with.

Another step and with a deep inhale, Adrien called,

"Marinette?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

351K 14.7K 31
31 days. 31 days to fall in love. The 31st to say good-bye, to break your heart. December ends, January begins. But those 31 days aren't going to lea...
58.4K 2.2K 27
❝Isn't it sad when you get hurt so much, you can finally say, I'm used to it.❞ Does changing targets really work in the case of love for Marinette a...
23.3K 547 22
When Marinette turns sixteen, she is estatic to find out that Adrien is her soulmate. To her it seems that her long time pining has finally paid off...
379K 5.2K 26
[COMPLETED] "𝘼𝙧𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙨𝙪𝙧𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙙𝙤 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨?" 𝗔𝗱𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻 𝗮𝘀𝗸𝗲𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘀𝘂𝗹𝘁 𝗯𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗴𝗼𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮...