The Complication

By CharlieFenwick

"Am I the 'complication'?" Data asked. Following the events on Ligon II, Data struggles to reconcile the disc... More

The Complication
The Variable
The Regulations
The Holodeck
Blue Skies
Moonbeam
The Cherry
Indubitably
Promise Me
Three Words
The Hunt
Speckle
The Truth
Memories
The Storm
Justice
The Heist
Home
Questions
Family
Nine Decks or Ninety-Thousand Lightyears
The Game
In The Shadow Of The Moon
The Hearing Part One
The Hearing Part Two
The Hearing Part Three
If You Give a Tribble a Piece of Grain
Angel One
Angel One: Part Two
The Romulan Incident
From Romulus With Love
Time In A Bottle
Keep A Cool Head
Down the Rabbit Hole
When It Rains, It Shines
Dissonance and Resolution
The Unknown
Parents
The Reunion
The Little Things
And Miles to Go Before I Sleep
Why?
The Sweet Taste of Chaos
Train Ride
The Finite Nature
The Command Conference
The Distraction
The Ghost Ship
The Battle Within
The Big Goodbye
Datalore - Part One
Datalore - Part Two
Hope Lies In Dreams
Hollow Pursuits
The Void
Beneath the Surface
What Lurks Below
The Joke's On Me
The Joker Is Wild
Too Short a Season
The Priority
All Things Bright and Beautiful
Life As We Know It
All That Glitters
Try A Little Tenderness
The Appendix
Blast From The Past
The Petty Bickering
Bit of Sunshine
Requiem For a Butterfly
Keep the Home Fires Burning
The Cold Truth
The Shield
With Great Power...
Shadow
Mummy Dearest
All Kinds of Weather
Bosom Buddies
Coming of Age
The Uncertainty Principle
The Secrets We Keep
Heart of Glory
Honour Amongst Friends
Arsenal of Freedom
Diabolus ex Machina
The Workbench of Prometheus
Evermore
Sucker Punch
Conquest
As Luck Would Have It
Fortune Favours the Bold
Nature Boy
Stardust
Normal Parameters
Drop the Shields
In the Club
The Late Lieutenant La Forge
Captain, Simple Tailor, Romulan Spy
When Time Runs Out
Two Roads Diverged
Linger On Your Pale Blue Eyes
The Heart Thief
One Minute to Midnight
Blackstar
The Road Not Taken
No Win Scenario
Wander
Untamed
Promises Made...
... Promises Kept
Interlude in the Neutral Zone
Just In Time
Long Before You Miss Me
Softly as I Leave You
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
Old Friends, New Enemies
Countdown

The Ruling

28 4 66
By CharlieFenwick

Author's Note: Thank you for your continued support with this series. All of your reviews, likes, kudos, and messages are wonderful!

Here we are. The conclusion to the hearing arc of "The Complication."

There are references in this to "The Complication – Missing Scenes" by Lady_Lore. If you haven't read that story, I would highly recommend it! There's a beautiful scene from that story regarding Tasha's time on Ligon II (The Code of Honour planet) and I wanted to reference it here.

So what's next on our roadmap? 

We're going to see Angel One, an original adventure that introduces a romantic interest for Geordi, the visit of Worf's parents, and Haven including the introduction of Lwaxana Troi.

This story is AU. Please suspend your disbelief re: canon for a fun wee character cameo in this instalment.

As always, if you like my works or want to stay up to date with art, comics, or just like chatting about the fandom you can like/follow at charliefenwick.com or @TheTartanTart on Twitter.

----------

The door chimed again.

"I'll get it," Picard said quickly as he stepped over to the door. "Enter."

"Well, there's a sight you don't see every day," Beverly Crusher smiled as she saw the Captain attempting to burp the baby.

"Lesal!" a voice cried out.

An elderly woman pushed past Doctor Crusher and rushed forward to the baby in the Captain's arms.

Captain Picard handed her over willingly as the woman began to weep.

He looked over shoulder to see Doctor Crusher was beaming.

A second later, an elderly Bajoran man stepped into the room.

The commotion was enough to rouse Tasha and the little boy from their slumber.

He wiped the sleep out of his eyes and looked around.

"Papa!" he cried as he spied the elderly couple.

He was so excited he rolled off the couch and stumbled onto the carpet.

With a great heave, the older man lifted the boy up into the air and they rubbed their noses against one another.

"JeJe, my little milaberry," he said fondly.

As it turned out, the children were under the care of their grandparents. They hadn't been able to locate them sooner because they had only been searching parental records without the names.

The grandparents had been part of a group rounded up by the Cardassians and had left the children in the cupboard as part of a plan with neighbours. Tasha had gotten there first before the neighbour.

When the children were gone, it was assumed they had been taken as hostages.

But now, much to everyone's relief, they were reunited again.

The grandparents had been so grateful to all of the crew – especially Data and Tasha – for rescuing them and keeping them safe.

"They were incredibly brave," Tasha said as handed the boy one the stuffed toy Beverly had sent down.

"Goodbye, JeJe," Data waved.

He wiggled out of his grandfather's arms and raced over to Data.

Data knelt down and gave him a warm embrace.

"I will never forget you," Data told him as JeJe gripped his nose for the last time.

After he was done with Data, he turned to Tasha.

She picked him up and gave him a tight squeeze.

"JeJe," she said softly as she brushed his bangs back. "I think I'm gonna miss you."

He laid his head down against her shoulder and a part of Tasha felt a sense of loss when she handed the sleepy toddler back to his grandfather.

As soon as the Bajorans were gone, Captain Picard turned back to Data and Tasha.

"If I haven't told you already, I am proud to call both of you my officers," Picard said seriously. "And to count you among my friends."

"Thank you, sir," Data replied.

"Yes, thank you," Tasha said with a small smile.

"Come on, Captain," Beverly said as she encouraged him to leave. "We should let them get some rest and don't worry about the baby stuff. I'll get it taken care of in the morning."

----------

As soon as the door shut, Data and Tasha found themselves alone.

Completely alone.

"Oh I'm going to miss those two," Tasha said with a sniffle.

"I find I share that sentiment," Data agreed.

Tasha turned to Data and walked her fingers up his chest.

"But I'm also really glad it's just you and me right now," Tasha said with a wicked grin.

Data cocked his eyebrow at her.

Tasha grabbed his hands, intertwining her fingers with his own as she pulled him close.

"And as it is only 21:00 the night is still young," Tasha teased.

Data's positronic brain began to whir as he realised where Tasha's thoughts were headed.

"Why don't you slip into the bathtub while I put away the dishes?" Data suggested. "And I will be right in."

Tasha gave him a slow, lazy kiss in response in the affirmative.

"Are you saying you don't find me attractive when I'm covered in saliva and carrots and flaked mackerel?" Tasha asked.

"I do not believe you ever before looked as radiant as you do now," Data assured her.

Tasha rolled her eyes and meandered off to the bedroom.

It only took Data one minute and thirty-six seconds to clear the table and return the dishes to the replicator.

After dousing all of the candles he walked through the bedroom and straight into the lavvy.

Data cocked his head to the side as he observed the bathtub was empty – devoid of both water and Tasha.

Turning around, he found her fast asleep on the bed – completely knackered.

Data smiled to himself and pulled back the covers to tuck her in.

He extinguished the last of the candles, crawled in beside her, and allowed his sleep programme to take over.

----------

The next morning Tasha woke up to the welcome feeling of Data against her back. She yawned and used the PADD on the nightstand to check the time.

Her eyes went wide when she realised it was nearly 07:15.

Tasha's hand shot to her temple as she chastised herself for dozing off like that.

"Good morning," Data said as he deactivated his rest programme.

"I'm so sorry, honey," Tasha said apologetically. "I didn't mean to fall asleep and leave you hanging."

Data shook his head.

"Your body required rest," Data replied as he placed a kiss on her forehead.

Tasha closed the distance between them and nuzzled against his neck.

"No time like the present though," she said.

"Tasha, are you propositioning me?" Data asked to clarify.

Tasha snaked her hand under the blanket and Data got the message loud and clear.

"Tasha, we do not have time," Data informed her as his internal chronometer reminded him they had less than forty-five minutes to get ready and reach the legal counsel office.

"Data, I'm so worked up I promise it won't take long," she assured him.

As much as he wanted to give in, Data knew they couldn't risk being late.

He caught her hand, stopping her before things went any further.

"Tasha, as much as I would like nothing more than to engage in an act of spirited lovemaking right now, we are due at the hearing and you are still wearing last night's dinner," Data reminded her.

Tasha pouted briefly before brushing his lips with a chaste kiss.

"You can't blame a girl for trying," Tasha said with a sigh. "Not when you look so dashing."

Data rolled them so he was on top of her.

"I believe we need to be dashing to the hearing," he said.

He returned the kiss and then quickly got off the bed leaving Tasha staring at the ceiling.

"You don't get to word play me!" Tasha protested.

"I believe I just did," Data retorted as he pulled her off the bed.

----------

They arrived at the JAG office at 08:00 hours precisely.

After about fifty minutes of preparations, they took a break. The hearing would be starting soon, and Elliot wanted them to have a few minutes before things got underway.

Captain Picard, Commander Elliot, and Commander Riker stepped out to give Data and Tasha a moment alone.

"Whatever happens in there, we're going to be alright," Tasha said as she pulled him close.

"This day and every day," Data responded as he rubbed her back.

----------

From the moment the hearing began, Commander Cole was back to his old tricks.

"Sir, I'd like to begin by calling Commander Data to the stand. There are a number of questions I would like it to answer," Cole requested.

Data took his position on the witness stand and answered a series of routine questions from the Commander regarding his duty responsibilities, the timeline of their relationship, and if there had been any impact to his job requirements.

"I would like you to imagine a hypothetical situation in which you are serving on the Bridge of the Enterprise," Commander Cole said. "If Lieutenant Yar were in a shuttlecraft that had been taken hostage by Cardassian or Romulan or Breen forces and rigged to harm the Enterprise, would you follow protocol and give the order the destroy it without regret?"

"No," Data answered simply.

Commander Cole clasped his hands together.

"There you have it," he said as he motioned toward the witness stand. "The only answer that matters today. As we have argued from the start of this deliberation, they are not capable of separating their professional and personal relationships."

"Excuse me," Data interjected.

"Starfleet Regulation has been interpreted for decades to consider Regulation 1138 to be-" Cole went on.

"Excuse me," Data insisted.

Commander Cole stopped and looked at Data.

"What is it?" he snapped.

"Your analysis is incorrect," Data said. "You asked if I would be capable of making that command decision without regret, not if I would be capable of making the decision itself."

For a brief moment, Tasha thought she saw Vulcan Counsellor T'Pyxis smirk at Data's keen perception of language.

"I would certainly be capable of making such a decision- as in the scenario described, it is the necessary course of action in order to minimise the loss of life," Data explained. "However, I would not be capable of making such a decision without regret. Were I ever to be forced into such a position, I would regret having to make that decision for the entirety of my existence."

Data locked eyes with Tasha.

"To have to order the death of any crew member causes regret. That is a natural emotion felt by any captain put in such a position. Furthermore, to have to do so when the individual in question is someone that is a friend or a personal relationship, the regret is considerably amplified," Data went on.

He turned to the panellists and addressed them directly.

"But it would not render me incapable of making such a call," Data answered honestly.

Inside, Tasha wanted to shout out how proud she was of Data.

"And what could a machine possibly know of human emotion?" Commander Cole said arrogantly.

Commander Elliot rose quickly.

"Objection, relevance?" Elliot said. "Commander Cole has continually derided my client by claiming his synthetic nature makes it impossible for him to grasp not only the situation, but his role and responsibility to the Enterprise, and now the very relationship he is being disciplined for."

Elliot felt like he'd been handed a victory with this line of thought.

"If it is Starfleet's position that as a synthetic lifeform, Commander Data lacks the ability to be in a relationship then how can it possibly find him at fault for doing so?" Elliot argued.

Counsellor T'Pyxis shifted in her chair as she found Elliot's logic intriguing.

Captain Crozier scratched his beard as he weighed the argument.

Captain Bradbury did not react.

"In short, how can you claim Commander Data is violating Regulation 1138 if he's not considered a person in the eyes of the law?" Elliot asked.

The three panellists gathered close and conferred in hushed voices for a moment.

"We find this to be a fascinating argument," T'Pyxis informed them.

"However, there is currently nothing codified nor any case law to cite regarding the rights of sentient, inorganic life," Captain Crozier admitted.

"It is our decision that this hearing would first need to make a determination if Commander Data is, in fact, a person or property before we could take up the matter of Regulation 1138," Captain Bradbury explained.

Data and Tasha looked at one another worriedly.

They hadn't prepared for this possibility.

"No," Tasha said aloud as she shook her head.

She looked up at Commander Elliot pleadingly.

"We can't do this," Tasha insisted. "Of course, he's a person."

Commander Elliot asked the panellists to grant them a ten-minute recess to discuss with his clients.

Data stepped down from the witness stand and they quickly conferenced around the table in the chambers.

"I won't go down that road," Tasha said in a heated whisper.

"Tasha, this may be the only way we can beat this," Data advised.

"More than anything you are a person," Tasha said adamantly. "And I could never ask you to risk being deemed property over this. I don't care if we're separated. Your rights as an individual matter more than anything, Data."

Data considered her words.

It took him 1.47 seconds to determine that Tasha's argument was the best course of action.

Reluctantly, Commander Elliot withdrew his questions and was pleased when the hearing agreed to drop the matter altogether.

With nothing left in their playbook, the defence rested their case.

Commander Cole was quite satisfied with himself and agreed to rest as well.

During his closing statement, Commander Cole focused on the testimony from Lieutenant Harris and Ensigns Gomez and Walsh as he attempted to paint a picture for the panellists of a couple of officers determined to break the rules, risk lives, and hellbent on opposing anyone that stood in their way.

When it was Commander Elliot's turn, he decided to make an emotional appeal with his closing statement. It was a risk – but a calculated one based on what he had observed.

Commander Elliot decided to focus on the Cardassian situation without naming it specifically. He cited that there were 'numerous' examples of situations in which both Data and Tasha had performed above and beyond the expectations of their role in an effort to save lives, defend the Enterprise, or to protect civilians.

"I couldn't do what they do on a daily basis," Elliot said passionately. "Could you?"

He turned Commander Cole.

"Could you?" Elliot asked as he looked up to the panel.

----------

For seven minutes the panel deliberated.

There was a tension that had settled in the chambers.

Geordi was picking at his fingernails and Deanna squeezed Beverly's hand.

Wesley was looking glum.

Worf had arms crossed in agitation at the whole charade.

Directly behind the bench, Miles and Keiko were nervously awaiting the ruling.

Keiko gave Data's shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

When the panellists returned, Commander Riker closed his eyes and braced himself for the worst.

It was never a good thing when a panel came back so quickly.

Captain Crozier was the first to speak, finding in favour of the defendants.

This was not unexpected and did little to ease the pressure of the crowd.

Counsellor T'Pyxis spoke next. She was considered to be the swing vote of the panel.

"After reviewing all available evidence, I find in favour of the defendants," she said simply.

Captain Picard gripped Tasha's hand.

They'd won.

They had actually won.

Data felt surreal as his mind raced as it was struggling to compensate for the wave of emotional output he was feeling.

It took him nearly nine seconds to register that Captain Bradbury was speaking.

"Based on Starfleet's lack of evidence, I also find in favour of the defendants," Bradbury announced to the shock of the hearing.

Tasha felt like she'd had the wind knocked out of her.

Not only had they beaten back the charges – they'd won 3-0.

As they filtered out of the chambers, Commander Elliot leaned in close.

"I would have never seen that coming," Elliot confessed.

"What do you think that was all about?" Riker asked.

"I have an inkling," Tasha said as she watched an infuriated Ensign Drew Walsh storm out of the courtroom with his friends and grandfather in tow.

----------

Ensign Walsh, Gomez, and Lieutenant Harris were sitting in the corridor outside of a private, second story office.

Inside, the raised voices of Commander Cole and Admiral Walsh could be heard spilling out.

"You assured me this problem would be dealt with!" Admiral Walsh hissed.

Captain Bradbury calmly took a seat at his desk in a large, executive chair.

"No, I assured you that I would grant you a trial," Bradbury clarified.

He turned to Commander Cole.

"And you assured me that upon reading all of the evidence it was an open and shut case," Bradbury reminded him. "You stated Starfleet had a rock-solid case against these officers whom you claimed were a danger to Starfleet."

The disdain in his voice was apparent.

"Furthermore, you urged me to take this case," Bradbury went on. "You claimed Commander Data and Lieutenant Yar were a threat, a danger to the ship. You insisted she couldn't be trusted."

Captain Bradbury pulled out his schedule and began to flip through it casually.

"I've found no evidence to support that accusation," Bradbury explained. "On the contrary, I have found both of them to be exemplary officers representing the finest of what Starfleet has to offer."

He looked up at the two men in front of his desk.

"Which is more than I can say for either of you," Bradbury added. "You're fired, Cole."

Commander Cole began to sputter, completely taken aback.

"And as for you," Bradbury said as he stood. "Your grandson is a fool. As are you."

Admiral Walsh's face turned red as he clutched his fist in anger.

"You used me, Josiah. I feel as if you've attempted to take advantage of our personal relationship – the very thing which you tried to oust those two officers for," Bradbury snarled. "Asking me to speed along the process, claiming it was of the utmost importance that the situation be dealt with quickly even though, as it turns out, there was zero evidence to support that notion."

In truth, Captain Bradbury was feeling embarrassed.

He had trusted Walsh and Cole.

Now, it seemed that trust had been misplaced.

It felt as if he'd been blinded by his own hubris.

"Your grandson – my great nephew – had the misfortune of encountering me during the Cardassian occupation," Bradbury explained.

Bradbury went on to describe in detail the conversation he had overheard.

"Were you aware he used your position to threaten her? Used your very rank to try and coerce her?" Bradbury pressed. "Sexual coercion is a violation of our Code of Conduct. It's harassment."

Bradbury looked away for a moment as he composed himself.

"More than that, it's vile," he said through gritted teeth.

Furthermore, he cited that Walsh nearly blew the entire rescue operation and put countless lives at risk with his own bad behaviour.

"He completely derided Lieutenant Yar when she merely tried to save him from a Cardassian patrol," Bradbury said in a disappointed voice. "She was simply doing her job."

Captain Bradbury hadn't just been impressed with the way she had handled the high-stress situation.

It was the fact she'd willingly done so after being provisionally stripped of her rank.

"Do you have any idea the kind of harassment investigation your nepotism has exposed us to?" Bradbury asked. "I'm not just talking about your arse. I'm talking about Starfleet itself."

Commander Cole looked down to the floor. He was beginning to understand just how serious the situation was.

Admiral Walsh had no response.

"In short, your grandson was awful. Performed poorly under pressure. Unhelpful. And frankly, it was alarming to see just how appalling his behaviour was during the occupation," Bradbury went on.

At this point, Admiral Walsh had heard enough.

He wasn't going down without a fight.

"Drew is young," Walsh argued. "You can't begrudge the boy because he was on a foreign starbase during the middle of a Cardassian invasion. He's still a kid."

"Yes, he is," Bradbury agreed. "Which is why he doesn't belong in Starfleet."

Admiral Walsh was gobsmacked.

He blinked several times as he processed the implications of his brother-in-law's statement.

"I've already issued a summary decision in the case involving Ensign Drew Walsh," Bradbury informed them. "He's been found guilty of the charges and will be dismissed from Starfleet immediately."

Commander Cole helped Admiral Walsh down into a chair before he collapsed.

"Sir, you can't just-" Cole began as he fanned the Admiral with his hand.

"I can and I have," Bradbury replied simply.

Captain Bradbury explained calmly that he had taken it upon himself to further investigate the claims – including examining evidence that Commander Cole had previously dismissed. He had found more than enough irrefutable evidence to determine Walsh's guilt.

"Between the recordings I have seen there is more than enough evidence to completely blow away any shred of credibility to your grandson's claims of being a poor, abused Ensign," Bradbury said.

He was completely disgusted that such behaviour could come from someone in his own family.

"I'll be assigning Commander Elliot to conduct a thorough investigation of Drew Walsh, Armando Gomez, Lieutenant Harris, and their associates to determine their culpability in a conspiracy attempting to falsely accuse two senior officers of misconduct," Captain Bradbury informed them. "Until then, the other officers will remain in Starfleet where they have been assigned here at Starbase 118 so I can keep an eye on them until the investigation is complete."

"Don't," Walsh pleaded.

"Your grandson's career in Starfleet is over," Bradbury said. "And good riddance."

Admiral Walsh found a second wind of energy and stood up.

"You can't do this," he said definitely as he pointed a bony finger at his brother-in-law.

He was beside himself with rage and refused to settle for anything less than victory.

"You would be wise not to pursue an appeal," Bradbury went on. "A secondary judge could find my decision too lenient and pursue further charges against your grandson."

"I'll go over your head," Walsh warned menacingly.

Captain Bradbury was unphased by the threat.

He resumed his seat and casually shuffled through his list of upcoming appointments on his tablet.

"Be grateful I've spared him time in prison," Bradbury replied coldly.

----------

The rest of the Enterprise officers headed off to Guinan's pub with Captain Picard to celebrate their victory.

"Coming, T?" Miles asked as he threw his arm around her. "You and I have the first game of darts."

"I'll catch up to you guys in a few moments," Tasha said strangely. "I just want to check on someone and make sure they're alright from the occupation."

Deanna and Beverly exchanged a glance and decided to follow Tasha.

While the crew headed off in one direction down the promenade, Tasha turned and headed down in the opposite direction with her friends in tow.

As they made their way down the promenade, Tasha was relieved to see most of the shoppes in this section were largely untouched by the Cardassian weapons. Many of the businesses had secured their establishments and fled prior to the invasion force landing.

All, in fact, but one.

Inside, Tasha knew she wasn't going to fetch her purchase.

She was worried about the strange Cardassian tailor she'd met three days earlier.

Garak was certainly an unusual man, but he had endeared himself to the Security Chief and Tasha felt a responsibility to

"Who are we going to check on?" Beverly asked.

"Just someone I met," Tasha replied. "I want to make sure he's OK."

"You're worried the Cardassians targeted him for some reason," Deanna commented as she read Tasha's feelings.

"I don't know for sure," Tasha said honestly. "He has a shoppe up ahead. I can't be certain, but I get the feeling he did something to get on the wrong side of the Cardassian government."

"Why?" Deanna inquired.

Tasha was walking faster now, desperate to reach the shoppe.

"Because they exiled him," she said simply.

Deanna and Beverly looked at each other.

"He's a Cardassian?" Beverly asked in disbelief. "Tasha, he could be a spy."

Tasha knew it was certainly a possibility, but she couldn't discount her intuition. There was something in the manner that Garak had spoken of the Empire that led her to believe there was bad blood there.

"He was very sweet," Tasha said uncharacteristically. "Refreshingly honest."

They rounded the corner and Tasha stopped.

Despite all of the buildings around being intact, Garak's shoppe had been completely destroyed.

Tentatively, Tasha crept forward as she surveyed the damage.

Where there had once been bolts of fabric and dummies dressed in the latest fashions, now there was nothing more than an empty shell.

The Cardassians hadn't just smashed in the door and windows – they'd torched the entire building leaving nothing but charred inventory behind.

Fortunately, Tasha didn't find any evidence of a body.

"Excuse me!" Tasha called out to a Starfleet patrol that was walking through the area.

She rushed outside and caught the patrol ensign.

"Do you know what happened here?" Tasha asked desperately.

The Ensign looked past her to the ruined shoppe.

"As far as I know, no one has seen Garak since the occupation began," the ensign reported.

Beverly traced her fingers along the remains of one of the dummies in the window.

"We passed by here before the Enterprise took off," Beverly said. "Remember? We said we were going to stop back."

Deanna nodded.

"There were such beautiful pieces in the window," Deanna said, remembering their conversation. "Whoever made them was quite gifted."

Tasha wiped some of the ash off the mirror along the wall.

She'd stood in the exact spot three days prior. It was where Garak had helped her unwind after the trauma of that first, awful day of the hearing.

It was also one of the only times she had allowed herself the vulnerability to shed her hardened exterior.

She had simultaneously felt a thrill of confidence and a healthy dose of nervousness at having allowed Garak to make wardrobe suggestions.

For once, she purchased something to wear without regard for its tactical advantages or practical functionality.

No, she'd let herself buy something simply because it was beautiful, and it made her feel that way.

"Everything alright?" Beverly asked as she stepped over to the mirror.

"I'm sorry about your friend," Deanna said as she laid her head on Tasha's shoulder.

Internally, Tasha reminded herself that it was a lesson in why things like clothing were frivolous.

Material possessions were easily destroyed. Tasha reminded herself it was foolish to waste any thoughts on such things.

Oh well. She surmised to herself.

She took one last look in the mirror and thought back to how empowering it had felt to feel that way – even if it had only been for a brief moment.

"Thanks," Tasha said as she pulled her friends into an embrace. "I'm glad you're here."

They were safe.

Data was safe.

And for Tasha, that is what was important.

"But it's not just your friend you're sad about, is it?" Deanna pressed.

Damn her empath abilities! Tasha thought to herself.

"I bought something from him, I'm a little bummed it got torched by the Cardassians," Tasha confessed. "But it doesn't matter. Material things can always be replaced."

Beverly turned Tasha.

"These are some of the finest clothes I've ever laid eyes on," Beverly said eagerly. "What did you buy?"

The Doctor's blue eyes went wide with anticipation.

"Was it for the upcoming leave at Starbase 74?" Beverly asked expectantly.

Assuming there were no delays or problems, the Enterprise was due at Starbase 74 in two months for an upgrade. It would mean several days of leave for all of the crew.

"Or, for the Academy Reunion coming up?" Deanna inquired.

"I have exactly zero plans to attend that," Tasha replied.

She laughed and shook her head as she made her way out of the destroyed shoppe and back to the promenade.

"Whatever it was, it made you feel wonderful, didn't it?" Deanna said warmly.

Tasha nodded and smiled shyly.

"Yeah, it felt nice, yanno?" Tasha replied.

"I think that's lovely," Deanna said.

"Now you have to tell us!" Beverly insisted.

They were walking back to the pub and Beverly wasn't taking no for an answer.

"Fine, just tell me the colour," Beverly begged.

It was certainly no secret among the three that Beverly lived vicariously through Tasha's relationship. She was always keen for any snippets of information and adored romance. In her mind, Data and Tasha were adorable and Beverly wanted to celebrate every one of their little moments.

Since she was stuck in neutral with her own personal relationship, Beverly craved the gossip.

"Tasha!" Beverly said as she hurried after her. "Tasha, throw me a bone here!"

----------

When they reached Guinan's pub, they found the crew on the second floor seated around a long table. Commander Riker and Worf were swapping stories over a pint.

Miles and Wesley were deeply engaged in a discussion on the finer points of transwarp theory.

Data, Keiko, and Geordi were discussing Geordi's interest in a new member of the crew.

"Just in time ladies!" Captain Picard greeted them.

The three slipped into the empty seats at the end of the table. Miles noticed them slip in and poured the three a glass of synthale from one of the pitchers.

Captain Picard cleared his throat and held up his glass of wine in preparation of addressing the group.

"I have two announcements to make," Captain Picard said.

Around the table, everyone got quiet.

"There's been a change to our crew roster," Picard explained. "We have four crewmen that are leaving and one that will be joining."

Everyone looked around one another as they tried to figure out what was happening.

Up to this point, only Captain Picard had been informed that Ensign Walsh had been found guilty through a preliminary ruling.

"It is my pleasure to inform you that Ensign Armando Gomez, Ensign Tristan Lewis, and Lieutenant Elliot Harris have been reassigned to Starbase 118 pending an investigation into their involvement in a lengthy list of charges," Picard said.

Tasha felt her throat grow tight.

Under the table, Deanna gripped one of her hands.

Beverly grabbed the other and gave her a reassuring squeeze.

"Ensign Drew Walsh has been stripped of his commission and discharged from service," Picard went on.

From across the table, Data and Tasha locked eyes and wordlessly shared in a moment of relief.

It was over.

The entire, horrible ordeal was completely over.

And they'd won.

The two maintained eye contact with each other – Tasha barely registering that Deanna and Beverly were hugging her and Data only minutely aware of Geordi's embrace.

Suddenly, Data was aware that someone was lifting him off the ground.

Tasha and Data broke eye contact as Worf lifted Data in a tight embrace, completely overcome with joy.

Everyone was ecstatic.

A few seconds after he picked Data up, Worf put him back down on the ground.

"Well done," Riker said as he toasted the team.

"Indeed, Number One," Picard agreed as he raised his glass to the table.

"We're so happy for you," Keiko said as she gave Data a warm smile.

Data heard a sniffle next to him and turned to Geordi.

"Geordi? Are you crying?" Data asked.

"No," Geordi said as he quickly brushed away the tears on his face.

"It is alright, Geordi," Data assured him.

"I'm just so happy it all worked out," Geordi confessed. "You both get to stay."

----------

Down at the end of the table, Worf found his best friend.

"Thank you," Tasha said as she got up clink glasses with Worf.

"As I have said, you fight best when you are down," Worf said in a low voice. "You have the heart of a warrior."

"Aww, thanks Worf," Tasha said honestly.

It was a significant compliment from the Klingon, and Tasha was truly touched.

"There is an ancient Klingon verse about the N'aajej blossom," Worf said. "It is the only known flowering plant capable of surviving on the harsh, windswept lands of Narendra III. Winter comes early and all life on that planet struggles to survive."

Tasha had heard of the rare, flowering plant and knew it was one of the few examples of flora that existed on the cold, desolate Narendra III.

"The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest and most beautiful of all," Worf said quietly before he gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"You big softie," Tasha teased as she elbowed him.

Tasha knew that despite his shell, Worf was really a romantic at heart. He enjoyed poetry and had a particular fondness for the romantic Klingon operas. But, just like her, Worf felt he had a responsibility to maintain a strong exterior.

She eyed him out of the corner of her eye.

"Thank you," she said in earnest.

Worf leaned down.

"If you ever tell anyone, I would be well within my rights to challenge you in combat," Worf teased.

"You'd have to catch me first," Tasha retorted.

The two friends threw their heads back and laughed.

----------

"Captain, who is joining the crew?" Commander Riker asked.

"Yeah! Who's coming aboard?" Wesley questioned.

"Must be someone important if you're announcing it, sir," Miles commented.

Captain Picard nodded.

"Indeed, Chief," Picard replied. "Someone of particular importance."

Guinan emerged carrying a large tray with another round of drinks. There were pitchers of synthale, the Captain's favourite wine, and more.

"Here, kid," Guinan said as she slid a ginger beer down to Wesley.

Next, Guinan carefully grabbed an elegant drink that had shades of bright orange and yellow.

"This is a Risa Sunset for the Counsellor," Guinan explained. "Please pass that down."

Deanna was thrilled.

She had no idea how this woman had known her favourite drink, but she could sense a strong understanding radiating from her. It wasn't quite like recognising another empath – there was something more to it.

"Some of you have already had the pleasure of being introduced. For those that have not, I'd like you to meet my oldest and most trusted friend, Guinan," Picard said as he indicated to the elegantly-dressed woman next to him.

"It's an honour to meet you," Riker said as he shook her hand.

"Guinan will be joining our crew," Captain Picard explained.

----------

An hour later, they were still around the table. Everyone had shuffled a bit in an effort to spend time with one another.

To the group's delight, the repairs to the Enterprise would take at least another forty-eight hours. Several Federation relief vessels had arrived to assist with the repairs to the ships and the base and to relieve the crews.

Captain Picard had ordered his senior staff to take mandatory leave for the next two days.

Furthermore, to everyone's surprise, Captain Picard had stayed at the pub to hang out with them.

He was keen to remain behind in the company of Doctor Crusher. It was a rare indulgence, but Captain Picard was feeling inspired by his Second Officer and Security Chief.

There was no shame in having feelings.

And as he watched Beverly describe their rescue efforts to Commander Riker there was no missing the passion in her eyes.

Jean-Luc was reminded of exactly why he'd fallen in love with the spunky medical officer twenty years earlier.

Several seats down, Geordi and Wesley were discussing the ruling with Tasha and Data.

"It's not fair," Geordi complained. "He belongs in a Federation prison."

Captain Picard had explained the details of Ensign Walsh's punishment for his actions. Although he had been found guilty and would be discharged from service, he would not face any further punishment.

"While I am disappointed he will not be held fully accountable for his actions, I am relieved he is no longer an officer in Starfleet," Data said.

"But all they're doing is throwing him out," Wesley protested. "His grandfather is probably going to land him some cushy job. It's wrong!"

Tasha reached over and took hold of Data's hand.

"I'm just glad its over and done with," Tasha admitted as she looked at Data. "And that we all get to stay together."

Tasha gave Geordi a warm hug and then looked over to Wesley.

Reaching across the table, she ruffled his hair.

"What do you say, Ensign Crusher?" Tasha said with a grin. "You ready to get your arse whooped on the phaser range again?"

"You know it," Wesley replied.

A moment later, Guinan appeared next to Tasha with a box.

"This came for you earlier," Guinan said as she handed the box to Tasha.

Tasha looked at it curiously.

It was a simple brown box with a twine string wrapped around it.

On the top was a card.

Tasha pulled the card out and glanced at the note.

Lieutenant Tasha Yar,

I always find a way.

Curiously, Tasha flipped over the card to see if there was any kind of stamp or signature on the backside that would indicate the source of the package.

She smiled when she read the signature.

It simply said, 'Friend of Garak.'

Data studied Tasha's reaction and could see she was pleased.

"Tasha?" he asked. "It would appear the contents of this package have made you quite happy. May I ask what it contains?"

"Nothing important," Tasha replied coyly. "Just a little something from a friend."

Aboard the USS Shepard, Admiral Josiah Walsh stepped into the executive guest quarters.

He stepped over to the view window and stared down at Starbase 118.

"You have to appeal this!" Drew Walsh snapped as his grandfather came up beside him. "It's not fair!"

Admiral Walsh did not respond.

After his conversation with Captain Bradbury, Admiral Walsh had found himself disgusted with his grandson's behaviour.

He wasn't upset about his treatment of Lieutenant Yar and the android. Nor was he disturbed by the numerous other charges of harassment.

No, Admiral Walsh was bothered by the fact his grandson had been reckless enough to get caught and foolish enough to accidentally reveal incriminating evidence against himself.

"That bitch cost me my fucking career," Drew Walsh snarled as he hit the wall in anger.

"Your career isn't over," Admiral Walsh said.

Drew looked to his grandfather expectantly.

"You're going to appeal?" he asked feeling excited at the prospect that the fight was not lost.

"Absolutely not," the Admiral snapped. "You ensured that path was closed the moment you made the mistake of admitting your actions in a video log."

Drew's face fell.

"I've pulled some strings and lined up a position for you as a civilian advisor to Starfleet," the Admiral explained.

It had taken some considerable legwork and influence, but Admiral Walsh had managed to save his grandson's career.

"Do not blow this," the Admiral warned sharply. "And don't mistake this for a reward."

Drew swallowed hard as he braced himself for the news of what was to come next.

He knew just how important his career was to his grandfather and his family. They had a long history of serving in important roles within Starfleet and the Federation and he had a lot to live up to.

"In fact, consider it a punishment," the Admiral went on. "Punishment for being foolish enough to get caught. How many times have I told you to behave? Never pick a target you can't handle, is that understood?"

"Yes, sir," Drew replied nervously.

"You will be conducting research on Federation prisons for the next year. You'll be expected to prepare a detailed report on best practices that Starfleet could utilise based on the various methods you will observe from different Federation members," the Admiral explained. "Starting with Rura Penthe."

Drew Walsh's jaw dropped.

"Not fair!" Drew cried. "It's basically a Klingon graveyard! It's freezing there!"

The younger Walsh felt as if he couldn't breathe. His dreams of a prestigious position had evaporated in front of his very eyes. He'd been planning to go to Risa for a week with his friends when their next leave came up.

"I won't do it!" Drew said angrily.

Admiral Walsh gripped the front of his grandson's civilian jumpsuit.

"You'll do it and you'll be grateful for the opportunity," Walsh ordered.

After a few moments, he released his grip. Drew took a step back and adjusted his uniform in an effort to restore his own composure.

Admiral Walsh turned back to look out into the stars.

"Walsh's don't ever give up, Drew," he said darkly. "We are strategic."

Drew knew his grandfather was right. It was what infuriated him the most. He had failed. If only he had been more careful in his dealings with Lieutenant Yar and the other crewmen, he wouldn't have cost himself the opportunity of a Starfleet career.

"Do you remember my victory over the Breen at Pericles 54?" Admiral Walsh asked.

Drew knew the story well from his youth.

"Yes, sir. You were in Command of the Unitarian at that time," Drew said recalling the story. "And you'd been chasing them across the sector for weeks."

"Indeed we did," Admiral Walsh said.

"They refused to leave the area. So you regrouped and then turned back to destroy the Breen colony on Bentora instead," Drew went on. "You killed their families to drive them away."

"We're not giving up," Admiral Walsh assured him.

Drew wasn't sure what his grandfather had in mind.

"Regroup?" he asked.

"Precisely," the Admiral replied.

Drew felt a wave of relief.

"Sometimes in order to hurt someone, you have to hit them indirectly," the Admiral explained. "Where it hurts the most."

----------

"Data," Tasha said in a soft voice from the archway that led into the bedroom.

They had left their friends at the pub and returned to the temporary quarters where they were staying on Starbase 118.

Tasha had said she was tired, but Data had suspected she had merely feigned exhaustion in hopes of enjoying the romantic evening they'd hadn't gotten the chance to finish the night before.

Now that he saw her leaning against the doorframe, his suspicion was confirmed.

"Data?" Tasha prompted.

He hadn't said anything and suddenly she was starting to feel embarrassed about her decision to buy such a thing.

Tasha was chewing on the inside of her lip as she watched Data's eyes study her.

"Um, it's what was in the package," Tasha said awkwardly. "I got it from a tailor on the promenade. He was pretty weird. Sweet, but kind of weird."

Data blinked a few times out of sequence from his programmed blinking pattern.

He was not attempting to cause her concern.

He was merely overcome with a series of memory engrams that had overwhelmed his neural net as he took in her appearance.

It was the same pale, orchid colour as the gown she had worn on Ligon II.

Data thought back to that night. He'd been unable to tear his eyes away from the sight of her wearing something so uncharacteristically delicate.

He'd catalogued to memory that moment as she had looked positively stunning.

It had been a horrible experience – for Tasha in particular.

But it had been the spark that had made him question Tasha's feelings.

And it had driven to him asking her, initially, about getting together.

Data had recorded to memory the sight of her that evening. It had taken all of his willpower to resist the temptation to touch her when she had first emerged from behind the changing screen to ask for his assistance.

He also recalled how difficult it had been to stop his sexuality programme from activating.

Data could also remember exactly how it had felt when the fireworks had started. At the time, he'd been uncertain what had caused the loud booming noise.

Instinctively, he had pulled her close.

Data felt his fingers tremble as he recalled the sensation of his hand on her back.

And the way she had looked up at him – attempting to hide her desire.

Data was warm.

Unlike the dress she had worn on Ligon II, this was significantly shorter. Data knew every centimetre of her body. Judging by the position where it fell on her thighs, he was certain that if she were to turn around there wouldn't be much covering the bottom portion of her backside.

Data's eyes were almost black, his pupils blown as he tried to slow down his processing.

As Tasha watched him from the doorframe, she suddenly felt uncomfortably small.

Had it been too forward?

She dropped her eyes down to look at herself and instantly regretted spending so many credits on such an impractical purchase.

Tasha couldn't tell if Data's silence was disappointment or confusion.

"I'm sorry," Tasha said as she nervously tugged down the hem in a futile effort to cover herself. "It was a just a silly, erm, nevermind."

She trailed off.

"Data? What's wrong?" she asked, finally working up the courage to bite the bullet. "You haven't said a word."

"I am having trouble processing," Data confessed as he indicated to her attire.

"It's called a chemise," Tasha explained, assuming his silence was due to confusion.

Tasha shook her head.

"Humans wear things like this because they think they're alluring," Tasha said as she tugged at the fabric.

She laughed at herself.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what I was thinking," Tasha went on. "I guess I just got caught up in the moment at this shoppe and-"

"I am aware of the function of the garment," Data said.

He was still standing motionless across the room.

"Oh," Tasha replied.

She felt her face flush.

Gods he must think I'm an idiot standing here looking ridiculous.

"It is working," Data said in a strained voice.

Tasha's brow furrowed and Data registered that she did not grasp the meaning of his statement.

"That is to say, I believe it is having the desired effect," Data clarified. "I am sorry if my silence has created a lack of confidence in your decision."

Tasha scratched her head automatically, suddenly feeling even more shy.

"So you...you like this?" Tasha asked hesitantly after a few seconds.

"Very much so," Data confessed.

Data blinked rapidly.

"I must confess that I am presently struggling to contain my thoughts as I find myself overcome with a memory," Data said. "For you see, when we were on Ligon II you wore a garment with this exact same hue."

Data closed his eyes and his head twitched.

"I must apologise, because despite the danger, I found myself captivated by it," Data said sheepishly.

Tasha thought back to their encounter with Ligonians.

It wasn't as if his desire had necessarily been a secret.

At the time, Tasha had feared it was some sort of puppy-love crush.

Looking back, she now understood just how deeply he had cared.

"I am afraid I must inform you that my offer that night was not sincere," Data admitted.

Tasha looked at him in confusion. She was pretty certain that if Data had offered her anything, she wouldn't have been able to refuse.

"Offer?" she asked.

"When it became apparent that you had difficulty sleeping, I suggested a massage," Data said as he recounted the memory.

Tasha's lips formed a silent 'oh' as she recalled his offer – and just how much the thought of his hands on her back had caused the opposite effect of relaxation.

"I am ashamed to confess I made such an offer with an ulterior motive in mind," Data went on. "You looked so aesthetically pleasing that night I wanted to touch you."

Tasha wasn't sure what to say.

Compliments made her feel uneasy.

But she knew with Data, it wasn't just a line.

"I fell in love with you that night," Data said. "And before we began our relationship, I thought about it often."

Tasha blushed.

"You thought about me?" Tasha asked as she met his eyes.

He was staring at her as if he were mesmerised.

"I know it is not appropriate," Data said apologetically. "I would like to apologise."

Tasha's skin prickled.

"You don't need to apologise," she assured him.

There was something empowering about it all, knowing that she was capable of producing such a reaction in the ever-composed android.

"Tasha, do you know the garment you purchased?" Data inquired. "The one that was in the package?"

"Yes, Data?" she replied.

She didn't understand the question.

"You should wear it," Data said breathlessly, unable to tear his eyes away.

Tasha bit her lip.

"Data, I am wearing it," Tasha reminded him in a low voice.

"Right," Data said quickly before closing the distance between them.

His mouth was halfway down her neck, when the door chimed.

They broke apart and for a brief second, they both considered ignoring it.

"It may be important," Data said.

Tasha asked Data to wait a moment as she slipped into a dressing gown.

"Um, Data," she said as she cleared her throat.

Data stopped a metre from the door.

"You might want to deactivate," she said knowingly.

"Ah," Data replied. "Thank you."

They opened the door to find Wesley Crusher on the other side.

"Hey Data," Wesley said as he stepped into their quarters.

Wesley was over-the-moon about his performance during the Cardassian blockade and he wanted to share it with them. Data and Tasha had been an integral part of his training and he was eager to thank them for all of the hours they had spent together.

"All the stuff you taught me," he said quickly. "Couldn't have done it without you, Tasha. It was the first time I've ever seen action!"

He was oblivious to the fact he'd interrupted an intimate evening.

However, they couldn't begrudge the boy.

He was fifteen and it was clear it was lost on him.

"Your performance was most exemplary," Data assured him as he took hold of Wesley's shoulders and directed him to the door.

"I'm sure you were great," Tasha said with a smile.

"You may tell us all about it in detail at the phaser range," Data added.

He was about to shoo Wesley into the corridor when the door opened to reveal Geordi.

"Boy, am I sure glad to see you two," Geordi said brightly as he pushed into the room.

Geordi stepped inside carrying a bottle of champagne.

"Oh, hey Tash!" Geordi waved as he caught sight of her in the doorframe to the bedroom.

Geordi grabbed four glasses from the shelf near the table and began to pour out the chilled, sparkling beverage.

"My date cancelled," Geordi explained. "And I certainly didn't want this to go to waste."

He passed them each a glass.

"I thought we could all toast your victory," he said beaming.

He turned to Wesley.

"Don't tell your mother," Geordi warned.

"Don't tell her what exactly?" Beverly said as she stepped through the door.

Data and Tasha exchanged a look.

This evening was going down the tube fast.

"That she is just in time," Data said as he took the glass of champagne from Wesley and handed it to the Doctor.

"Nice save," Beverly commented as she took the glass.

Geordi raised his glass and cleared his throat.

"Now, to my best friends," he said.

They all raised their glasses and were about to drink when the door chimed for a third time.

Geordi caught a brief flash of frustration on Tasha's face.

Geordi surveyed the room and spied the whiskey and flowers on the table. For the first time since entering the room, he noticed Tasha was wearing a dressing gown.

Realisation hit Geordi hard.

He'd interrupted them in the middle of what he was certain was some kind of romantic reunion.

"But we can do this later," Geordi said quickly.

While Data went to see to the door, Geordi mouthed an embarrassed 'sorry' to Tasha. Geordi gripped the arms of the Doctor and her son and turned them toward the door.

"We should be going," Geordi encouraged as he guided them out of Data and Tasha's quarters.

"Captain Picard?" Data said as he greeted their next guest.

"I apologise for the intrusion," Picard said as he slipped past the android.

He was sporting a bottle of wine in his hand and seemed unaware of everyone else inside.

"I wanted to let you know how horrible I feel for not initially supporting your relationship," Picard informed him. "I'm so very happy for both of you and I'll be ready to support you in whatever capacity you choose to pursue this now that you are free to do so."

Captain Picard removed the cork.

"Now, who'd like a glass?" Picard asked as he turned around excitedly.

His smile faltered when he spied Beverly, suddenly feeling unusually timid.

"Beverly," he said.

He shifted in an atypically anxious fashion.

"Jean-Luc," she replied coyly.

Tasha bit back a grin as she watched them.

Before anyone could speak, Miles and Keiko showed up.

"We thought we'd stop by and see if you wanted to join us for a double-date? There's a Bajoran band playing at the arboretum," Miles explained.

"Um, thanks Chief but I was actually just going to bed," Tasha said in hopes that the comment would spur their friends to leave.

Beverly turned and studied Tasha for a moment.

It wasn't even 21:00 hours and it was unlike Tasha to turn in so early.

Tasha added a fake yawn for effect.

As Tasha raised her arm to really sell the yawn, Beverly's spied the wrapping from the mysterious package she'd received during their time at the pub sitting on the bed.

Tasha followed Beverly's eyeline to the package in the bedroom behind her and the two shared a knowing look.

It was clear it had been opened.

Beverly looked her friend up and down.

"Of course," she said aloud.

She stepped over to Tasha and gave her a hug.

Half a metre away, Captain Picard was pouring everyone a glass of wine.

He stopped as he overheard the conversation between the two women.

"That package is from the tailor, isn't it?" Beverly whispered. "Let me see!"

"Can't. I'm wearing it," Tasha replied quietly.

Beverly stepped back and looked down at Tasha disapprovingly.

"You've owned that dressing gown for ages," Beverly retorted.

"Uh huh," Tasha nodded.

"So?" Beverly said as she motioned with her hands for Tasha to get on with it.

Tasha looked back at her friend and rocked her head from side to side.

"Oh," Beverly said softly as she got the meaning of Tasha's statement.

She leaned in close.

"Can I see?" Beverly asked.

She was practically giddy.

"Absolutely not!" Tasha whispered back.

"Fine," Beverly replied glumly.

The Doctor's eyes lit up.

"You know I had this little pink number that Jack practically ripped in half when we took a cruise on Melvaroan," Beverly told her.

Captain Picard choked, unable to help himself at the thought of Beverly wearing something salacious.

The Captain froze as his brain began to piece together the clues.

Jean-Luc was mortified.

He suddenly understood what had been going on between his Second Officer and Security Chief before the crowd had arrived.

He didn't want to turn around and address the woman behind him, but he knew he must.

Summoning his courage, doing his best not to look any lower than eye-level, and to avoid eye contact with Beverly at all costs - he turned to face the Security Chief he regarded as his protege.

"Lieutenant, I cannot adequately say how sorry I am for having intruded," Captain Picard apologised.

He clapped his hands together.

"I believe we've stayed long enough," Picard announced to the room. "Goodnight."

Before any of them could respond the door slid open again.

"I saw everyone was here!" Commander Riker said as he stepped inside.

"Good evening, Commander," Data said.

Data politely, but firmly took hold of the First Officer and turned him around.

"Good night, Commander," Data added.

As soon as everyone had shuffled out, Data turned back to Tasha and breathed a sigh of relief.

"I'm so happy Worf isn't here," Tasha said.

Data cocked his head and looked at her strangely.

"You have often commented that Worf is your best friend," Data said as he tried to follow her meaning.

"Exactly," Tasha replied. "He knows enough not to disturb us."

Data watched as Tasha fiddled with the sash on her dressing gown before dropping it off her shoulders.

"I am glad that we are now alone," Data stated.

Tasha grinned and stepped over to him.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and Data responded by picking her up.

"Just you and me," Data commented. "No friends. No children."

"Would you care to not make a baby with me?" Tasha asked.

"More than anything," Data replied as he carried her over to the doorframe.

----------

Having been ejected from Data and Tasha's the crew had gone their merry way. Wesley and Geordi had headed off to the arboretum with Miles and Keiko.

Captain Picard and Doctor Crusher were on their back to the Enterprise.

Alone, Commander Riker stumbled upon Deanna and Worf at Guinan's pub.

They were having a drink and playing a round of cards.

"You look happy about something," Deanna commented as she laid down a card.

Riker grinned as he slipped into the seat next to Worf.

"Everyone was at Data and Tasha's quarters here on base," Riker explained. "When I showed up, we all got the boot."

"You went there?" Worf growled in disbelief.

Riker shrugged.

"It seemed like everyone was there," Riker argued.

He ordered a drink from the holographic waiter and turned back to the table.

"I'm afraid we might have interrupted something," Riker confessed.

"Duh!" Deanna said as she smacked him playfully on the head. "Why do you think we didn't show up?"

"I figured you'd want to check on your friends," Riker said.

Worf set down his cards and gave Commander Riker a look.

"Best friends know when to be there," Worf explained. "And when not to be there."

Later that night, Data was laying on his back looking up out of the large window that spanned the length of the room.

Tasha was lying across his chest. He traced the length of her spine as he watched the stars.

They were so pleased to be alone together – finally.

Without warning, there was a loud 'pop' and a blinding flash.

It startled Tasha and she fell out of bed in a tangle of blankets.

Data looked across the bed where Q wiggled his fingers.

"Isn't this great?" Q asked.

Tasha was mortified as she looked up from the floor at their unwelcome guest.

"You," she hissed.

Data reached out and gripped her hand, wordlessly cautioning her to mind her temper in the presence of such a powerful being.

Q snapped his fingers and a bucket of popcorn appeared next to him.

He reached into the bucket and then threw his head back as he casually tossed a few pieces into the air and caught them in his mouth.

"You know I was so nervous," he said as he waved his head. "All the drama from the hearing and then the Cardassians."

Q grabbed another handful of popcorn.

"I just had to shut it off for a while," Q told them. "You humans didn't even realise I suspended time."

Q stuffed a fistful of popcorn into his mouth.

"Where are my manners?" Q said.

He offered the bucket of popcorn to Data and Tasha.

Tasha looked down at it and then back up to Q, frowning.

"No," Data answered as he shook his head.

Q shrugged and resumed munching on the snack himself.

"I was so distraught I headed for the pools on Casperia Prime to cool off," Q explained. "Then I popped into this little canteen on Trureen VII where they make this drink with little umbrellas and something blue."

Q kissed his fingers.

"Played a round of golf with Willie Anderson," Q added as he stared at the ceiling.

He sighed and turned back to the pair.

"And then I came back because I just had to know how it was going to end," Q said with a wicked grin.

For a moment, the room fell silent.

Data was concerned about upsetting such a powerful being.

But there was a curiosity deeply ingrained in his system that was stronger.

"You are still observing us?" Data asked.

Q grinned and nodded in response.

Tasha felt sick to her stomach.

"Oh, not anything.... I mean I would never," Q said in an effort to reassure them. "I slipped away to catch the last bit of a London Kings game after you said the part about not making a baby and all."

Tasha looked at him as if she were not convinced.

"What?" Q asked. "I'm not completely without morals."

He huffed and snuggled back against the pillow.

"Certainly morals far more sophisticated than your teeny-tiny human brain can comprehend," Q grumbled.

Tasha was ready to snap but Data squeezed her hand to stop her.

Suddenly, Q sat up and looked at them.

"I'm so sorry! I've ruined an intimate moment," he said. "I waited until, you know, you were finished but you probably thought I was...oh, oh no."

Q shook his head.

"I forgot you humans consider post-coital cuddling an intimate activity," Q said apologetically. "Forgive me."

He folded his hands and bowed his head.

"Just pretend I was never here," Q winked.

In a flash, he was gone leaving Data and Tasha completely dumbstruck.

"I think I'm going to be sick," Tasha said.

Her stomach was feeling squeamish from Q's appearance.

"Come here," Data said as he reached down and pulled her back onto the bed.

As soon as she was on the bed, Data rolled them so that she was on her back underneath of him.

He made a move to kiss her, and Tasha put a finger up to stop him.

"This feels weird," Tasha whispered. "How do we know he's not still here watching?"

Data tilted his head to the side and looked down at her curiously.

"The Q are omnipotent beings capable of controlling both time and space," Data advised. "In theory, they are always watching."

"Not helping," Tasha replied.

"Tasha, I only mean that with their ability to-" Data started to say.

Tasha put her finger on his lips to stop him.

"Shh," she said as she looked up at him.

Data leaned forward and kissed her slowly.

After a few seconds, he stopped.

They broke apart and he looked to the side as if he were listening for someone.

In truth, he was listening for any sign of Q.

When nothing happened, they resumed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

155K 3.4K 186
just some random Star Trek imagines mostly original series and next generation. Characters I write are Spock Kirk Data Riker McCoy/bones Q We...
40.6K 1.4K 10
Spock goes to the bridge to complete some later duties and work when he finds kirk watching the stars, he finds himself in an emotional state, and hi...
244 1 10
Book 4 of the Sandorian Trilogy (I know...). Tasha Lawrence has escaped her captivity on Sandor, but her past is still haunting her. In exchange for...
11K 310 16
𝓨𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓫𝓮𝓪𝓽 𝓷𝓸𝓽 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓸𝓷𝓮, 𝓫𝓾𝓽 𝓽𝔀𝓸 "𝐼 𝒹𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝒸𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒶𝒷𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒶𝓃𝓎𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝑒𝓁𝓈𝑒, 𝐼 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓌𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝓉𝑜 �...