Hakuouki: Change of Fate

By scarlettpages20

One hundred and thirty years after the Shinsengumi's eradication of the rasetsu, Kodo's research lives on and... More

Dear Reader
Preface
A change of fate
The Oni Girl
Impossible truths
Confessions
The Den of Monsters
The East and the West
Spiral
Small Freedoms
Points for Elena
Mysteries and Mad Men
Small Favors
Demon of the Ikedaya
Aftermath
Lullabies and Bad Dreams
Ties that Bind
Lab Rat
Ten Steps Back
Changing Tides
Fairytales
Her Own Kind
A Girl Like Water
Day of the Inevitable
Awakening
Til Death Do Us Part
Checkmate
Sins of the Father
Hell Has Frozen Over
Home
Crossroads
Siege
Letting Go
Modern Marvel
Epilogue Part 1 - Loose Ends and New Beginnings
Epilogue Part II - Finding Fate
Thank You

Men Don't Make Excuses

421 11 0
By scarlettpages20

**Author's Note** Hello all! Apologies for not updating in a while. My personal laptop gave out in late May and I wasn't able to replace it until August. Now that I'm back up and running chapters should hopefully come MUCH faster!

Saito POV

Winter had long since settled over the capital, turning the vibrant trees into frozen skeletons. The new year was less than forty-eight hours away, and the compound was lively with activity. It would seem that all the rumors of war and extra patrol shifts couldn't dampen the soldier's excitement of a fresh start and all the festivities that came with it.
Despite all the buzzing elsewhere, the captain's dining hall was quieter that afternoon. With Souji' feeling under the weather' and Harada out on duty, the room was missing its usual liveliness. Saito didn't mind the change; it allowed him to memorize the compound and his comrades, for soon he would be leaving this place...
"Elena," Kondou called for her as she passed through the room. "Will you not be joining us for lunch again today?"
Elena held up an onigiri she was snacking on and gave a halfhearted smile that didn't reach her eyes. "I was planning on making duck soup tonight since it's been so cold, and Heisuke caught all those ducks the other day. I have a lot of prep work to do this afternoon, so-"
"About that..." Heisuke cut in. "Remember how I said I'd go to the market and get you the ingredients you needed? Well, there was this situation. An unfortunate accident, really...."
"What kind of 'unfortunate accident,'" Hijikata growled.
Heiskue rubbed at the back of his head and mumbled something unintelligible. "Had you been there, I'm sure you would have done the same thing too, you see-"
Nagakura took the lead for him. "Come on now, pipsqueak, remember what Harada said about making up excuses! Some ronin were harassing a shop owner and master forerunner here," he punched Heisuke in the arm, nearly toppling his friend over. "Destroyed half the place when he tried to subdue them."
Hijikata's eyes bulged. "You weren't even on patrol!"
"I know that, but-" Heisuke tried to defend himself.
"Had you waited for someone in uniform to show up, the situation probably wouldn't have escalated to that point. The damages to the shop are coming out of your pay."
"Hijikata-"
"Commander," there was a knock at the shoji. One of the soldiers on duty at the front gate slid it back and entered. "There is a gentleman by the name of Jin Hirai to see you. He says he has a grievance he wishes to discuss."
"I'm sure he does." Kondou sighed as he laid his chopsticks down on his half-eaten lunch tray. He motioned for Heisuke to follow. "Anything further you wish to discuss can be dealt with in my chambers."
Hijikata turned his attention to Elena. His eyes scanned her once over, taking in even the smallest of details. It had been a little over two weeks since the incident at Sumi, and she hadn't been the same since. Everyone assumed it was because of her issues with the ronin, but he and  Saito knew better... 
* * * *
"I noticed her presence too late," Saito reported to Hijikata on the night of the incident. "She overheard me telling Itou I would join his ranks. Elena believes me to be a traitor and deserter."
Hijikata nodded. "Did you handle it?"
Saito's mind flashed back to the dim hallways of Sumi. Elena's eyes expertly assessed his position and spotted a weakness. He had taught her well and forgotten his own good sense in the process. She had made him careless. Saito never meant to grab her that hard. Still, the situation was complicated, and Elena was fighting with her full force. Itou was plotting against the entire Shinsengumi; he couldn't let Elena run off and jeopardize the mission.
He tried to rationalize and told himself Elena could handle the pain. After dinner, she trained with him the same as any other soldier on the compound. She never allowed anyone to take extra care or pull their strikes when sparing because she was a woman. None of these truths made him feel any better.
"Elena has given me a month to 'report' to you that I am leaving the Shinsengumi. She gave me her word she would not tell any of the other captains about my departure, and I trust she will keep to her word...But, I believe we should inform her of our plans anyway."
"No, the more people who know of our plans, the more likely the secret is to get out."
"Elena wouldn't betray the Shinsengumi-"
"I'm not saying she would intentionally," Hijikata had chosen his words carefully. "Perhaps it would be different if Elena was a better liar. We just can't risk her actions giving away the truth. As it stands right now, she's hiding behind Yamazaki and Harada's reports of the evening; most likely so she doesn't raise suspicion telling her abridged version."
Saito gave a single, resigned nod. Hijikata was right.
"Elena is more or less one of us. She trains, draws her sword, and even goes into battle from time to time. Have some faith in her; she's proved herself to be stronger than we'll ever be able to give her credit for. One day, when the truth comes to light, she will understand why the events played out the way they did. Until that day comes, I am afraid you have a long and lonesome job ahead of you, but please endure it. We are all counting on you whether we know it now or not."
"My heart and loyalty belong to the Shinsengumi. Even if I must play the part of a traitor and go away for some time, my home and where I truly belong will not change."
"I will be waiting for your safe return; ensure you make it back to us."
* * * *
"Seeing as we have no supplies now, I would like you to go out to the market to buy some. Saito's unit is up next on patrol this afternoon; he can escort you."
Elena's teeth hooked onto her lower lip, and her hand crossed absentmindedly over the wrist that had recently recovered. "I'm busy this afternoon."
"Doing what? Your previous plan was to cook with ingredients we don't have."
"Harada was going to help me learn a few new Hōzōin-ryū techniques today."
"Harada is working checkpoints this afternoon."
"I have notes to transcribe too..."
"The notes you turned into me last week?"
"I just don't want to go, okay!" She finally snapped.
Hijikata was pushing Elena on purpose. He didn't like that Elena's behavior had changed so dramatically since the night at the inn. He especially didn't like that she now wouldn't leave headquarters period and had pulled herself away from the other captains in an attempt to avoid Saito. When Elena had faced down ronin and Kazama at the Ikedaya and lost, she was scared, yes, but that fear drove her to become a better swordsman. She demanded Saito train her more and continued pursuing her goal of going on patrol. It was only a matter of time before the other captains realized something bigger had changed and put the clues together.
Hijikata had tasked Saito with trying to smooth things over with Elena. The first part of that job was getting her to interact with him. A task that was proving to be easier in theory, hence Hijikata stepping in.
"I don't mind going to the market if Elena is still...shaken by the ronin from Sumi." Inoue volunteered.
Elena's eyes widened to the size of the onigiri in her palm, and her eyebrows shot to her hairline. She had apparently been so busy avoiding Saito she hadn't yet heard the assumptions of the other captains had made about her strange behavior. She opened her mouth, undoubtedly ready to protest, but then her eyes slipped over to Saito, and her mouth snapped back shut. For the briefest of moments, Saito could have sworn that he saw her eyes turn a greenish-gold hue, but they were back to blue before he could be sure.
"Inoue is right. I was shaken by what happened at Sumi," Elena said, dropping her head in an attempt to conceal her irritated facial expression. "Ronin got the best of me, and I'm not ready to go back out on the streets just yet."
Elena had caught onto the tells that gave her away when she was lying and had curbed the habit. Saito had learned the tricks she used to mask the behaviors. For example, she slowed her speech to keep her voice even. Her posture would become rigid to keep herself from nodding in agreement with the lie. She had gotten better; it just wasn't quite enough.
Hijikata wasn't buying her story either. He didn't challenge her, though. Instead, he shook his head and said, "The best way to get over fear is to get back out there. You can't let one unpleasant experience keep you locked inside forever."
"Says the man who kept me locked inside for over two years thanks to one unpleasant experience," Elena muttered under her breath.
The entire room heard her, but Hijikata graciously ignored the dig. "I'm not asking your permission, Elena. You're going to the market this afternoon with the third division. That's an order."
"Don't sweat it, Elena; this will be nothing like Sumi." Nagakura tried to reassure her. "Saito will be by your side the entire trip; he won't let anyone lay a hand on you this time."
Elena made a strange face between anger, hurt, and what Saito could only assume was supposed to be an attempted smile. She nodded a few times and backed herself towards the door before spinning on her heel and excusing herself from the room.
"Damn," Nagakura blew a large puff of air from his cheeks. "She's taking what happened with those ronin pretty hard."
"While I'll admit Elena's resilience has always impressed me, at the end of the day, she is still a civilian woman. We should have never sent her in there to do a soldier's job," Inoue said.
* * * *
Thanks to Hijikata's orders, Elena showed up on time at the front gate. She didn't bother disguising herself as a man today- her being a female hadn't been a secret for a long time now- but she did choose to slide her sword into her obi. Saito wasn't sure what to make of this small defiance. Did she think he would pick a fight with her or make her stay back because she wasn't 'properly dressed'? Saito chose not to play into whatever she was trying to accomplish, and they set off.
As always, when he had Elena with him, Saito took up the rear of the formation. He kept her several steps back from the squad in hopes that she would strike up a conversation; she could berate him for all he cared so long as it meant her finally speaking to him. This effort was in vain. He could have been a tree on route to the market for all the attention she paid him.
As they reached the town, they passed the checkpoint Harada was working. Saito could tell before they approached that something wasn't quite right. He was standing between a civilian and one of the Bakufu soldiers, his hand raised in a gesture to ward the soldier off. The Bakufu representative's hand tightened on his hilt, and he raised his voice. Elena quickened her pace, breaking formation, so she had an unobstructed view of the confrontation.
"You cannot simply write someone off as innocent. Look at this cart of exports! He must be thoroughly checked," the soldier told Harada.
"His papers were legitimate; we have no reason to search his things. The exports are clearly gifts for his family!"
"If you don't have the backbone to do the job, stand aside." The soldier motioned for two of his men to come forward and ransack the civilian's cart. "Cut through everything!"
"Hey! Wait a minute!" Harada yelled.
The Bakufu soldier picked up a doll from the man's cart and sliced it open from neck to navel. Elena shoved her hand into her mouth to stifle her cry of dismay. Her eyes looked to Harada to stop him, but Yuuto held him back and murmured something in his ear. The civilian dropped to his knees and wept; he didn't have the money to replace the ruined gifts for his children, nor would the Bakufu reimburse him. Saito motioned for his men to head out on their rounds then coaxed a reluctant Elena away from the dismal scene.
"Bastards!" Elena murmured when they were out of earshot.
"There are a large number of people attempting to smuggle secret messages past the borders of Kyoto. The Bakufu are trying to do their job and inspect each person passing through."
Saito didn't know if his words would put Elena at ease at all, but he hoped some kind of explanation would help her understand. To his surprise, Elena responded to him.
"Inspecting a man's property and destroying it is not the same thing."
"I agree with your sentiment. That being said, it is hard for justice to prevail right now. Things are just too unstable. Sometimes the only way to keep everyone safe is to treat everyone like a criminal."
"Is that what Itou taught you?" She said his name as though it were something stuck to the bottom of her shoe.
"Since you've brought it up, I've wanted to speak with you about that night," Saito deflected and took his opening. "I hurt you and wish to make an apology."
Elena gave a bitter, jaded laugh. "Fine, we'll have this conversation. How do you think you hurt me, Saito?"
He stopped walking. 'How did he think he hurt her?' Had she sustained more injuries than just her wrist?!
"I...did I bruise something else?"
"No, the bruising was the least of my worries. That heals in two weeks. You damaged my reputation, Saito. I know that I got in over my head at Sumi, and Yamazaki had to step in to help me, but I was also unarmed and fighting two men who were bigger than me. I fought back, though, scared as hell, I fought back. By the time I got to you, I had faced down I don't know how many ronin and Kazama, but no one in the Shinsengumi will ever recognize that. All they saw was that I came home banged up and upset, and what assumption do you think they all made?
"Do you think they guessed I was upset because I was betrayed and physically harmed by someone I cared about? Of course not! They assumed it was Kazama or the ronin, and I had to let them believe it to protect you and your lies! You watched me fight for years to be seen as capable. I just got to a point where the people around me don't make ignorant comments or treat me like glass, and in a single night, you've ruined it all! It will take me months, if not years, to undo that kind of damage, and for what? Look me in the eyes, Saito, and tell me it's all worth it."
"I didn't think-"
"No, you clearly didn't; that's the shittiest part... I honestly thought you were different and that you understood me. You recognized my intellect and strength. You worked with me to help me hone some of those skills. But in the end, when it really came down to it, you didn't think twice about the consequences I would have to face to protect you. You have the privilege and luxury of never having to worry about these issues. Even in a time when people struggle to accept someone different from them, you can still find someone willing to give you a chance all because you have the correct package between your legs."
Her words were vulgar, but there was no longer any malice behind them. Now when she spoke, her voice was quiet and even-toned. Her eyes searched his for some kind of an explanation that he couldn't give her right now. Saito's mind flashed back to Hijikata's words, 'I am afraid you have a long and lonesome job ahead of you ...'  This was a lie; another soul was hurting and shouldering the burden with him.
"I'm so sorry, Elena," Saito scrambled for the right words to say to her. "It was never my intention-"
"Save your apologies and excuses; they won't help you now. Only the truth will."

Elena POV

The pleasant scent of earth, grass, and flowers tickled Elena's nose as she entered the local tea shop. The storefront had caught her eye many times on the way into town; today, she found her feet veering from their initial course and into the shop. She didn't fight the distraction or worry if anyone would come looking for her. Saito would probably be relieved if she got lost and didn't come back. It would solve one of his problems, that's for sure.
Inside, the store was split into two sections. On her left were small, low tables where patrons were served tea by well-groomed women. To her right were stacked shelves holding jars of the herbal blends for one to buy. Elena perused the various containers, studying their contents. One in particular caught her attention. Behind the counter manned by the store clerk was a jar labeled 'Coffee.' A handful of pitiful oily beans sat scattered at the bottom like strangers at a party.
"Do you have any more coffee?" Elena asked the clerk, practically vibrating with excitement.
The clerk's face scrunched up into a disgusted scowl as he looked down his nose at her. "No."
"Do you plan to receive another shipment?"
The man turned his back to her. "No, the only people who bought it were westerners like you. If you desire the good so badly, go back to your own country and get it."
Elena flinched. His harsh words knocked her off balance like a blow from behind. "I...beg your pardon, sir. I've lived here for three years now-"
"Good for you, now it's about time you left."
She sucked in a gulp of air and opened her mouth to reply, but nothing came out. The oxygen stayed in her lungs, suffocating her mind that was busy scrambling for the right words. There were none.
People like him were beyond reason. Elena didn't understand a lot about the political state of the nation. Still, she could piece together that there was unrest between foreigners and those who welcomed them and isolationists. In his mind, Elena threatened his very way of being. Swallowing her pride, Elena bowed, gave thanks, and turned to leave.
"Mr. Ogawa, is that any way to treat a paying customer?" Quipped a sultry, melodic voice from across the counter.
Standing next to the clerk was a lovely teenage girl dressed in a pastel pink kimono adorned with golden embroidery. Her sharp eyes dug into the clerk as her smile gleefully watched.
Mr. Ogawa bared his yellowing teeth at the girl. "Mind your business, Aina!"
The girl, Aina, raised a single delicate eyebrow as if to challenge his warning. "Very well, as I'm 'minding my business' perhaps I should speak with Kimigiku about this month's tea order for Sumí. I hear the Chiba family has acquired quite the reputation in the herbal trade."
"You'll be out of a job, girl," Ogawa snarled.
"You know, working here is nothing more than a second source of income for me. Besides, I'm sure the Chiba family will be hiring as soon as your largest account is transferred to them."
The bickering pair locked into a silent battle of wills. Ogawa glared down at the brazen woman standing before him. Aina's lips were turned upward in a victorious smile as she waited for her opponent to bow out. As her smile predicted, the clerk gave in.
"Fine, I'm sorry. Are you happy now?" Ogawa asked, his tone lacking all remorse.
"Not until you sell my friend here some coffee." Aina turned her bright smile on Elena.
Elena shook her head and took a half step back. What the hell was she even still doing in this damn shop anyway?
"I don't have any coffee."
"Fine then, how about dandelion root tea."
Elena wrinkled her nose. Tea made from roots? As in the dry, dirty, leggy part of the plant? Besides, weren't dandelions nothing more than a weed?
Before Elena could protest, the clerk spun on his heel and snatched the requested jar from the shelf. He measured out the product and wrapped it up for Elena to add to her basket.
Elena reached for the pouch of coins at her hip. Aina stopped her.
"I'm sure this will be enough for the tea, "She challenged, placing a few coins on the counter.
"We done here?" The clerk turned his back to both girls.
Aina came around the counter and linked her arm with Elena's. She announced that she would be taking a break and escorted Elena from the shop.
"I apologize for Mr. Ogawa's behavior," Aina said when they had made it back out on the streets.
"Thank you for your help in there." Elena bowed to show her gratitude.
"Anything for the Gem of Sumí."
Elena's head snapped up. She squinted at her newfound companion. Slowly, her brain connected the lovely face to recent memory. "We worked together a few weeks back!"
Aina nodded.
"I can barely recognize you without the hair and makeup."
"The difference is quite remarkable. How have you been since that night? You left quite the impression on the red light district."
"I'm so sorry, it was never my intention-"
"There's nothing to be sorry for. Thanks to your beau and his friends taking on that bouncer and whisking you away into the night, our reputation has gone up tremendously. Everyone wants to come see the lovely geisha and Maiko of Sumí."
"That's what you mean by the 'Gem of Sumi'...I hate to disappoint, but I wasn't whisked away by my lover. Harada is just a friend who helped me out of a tight spot."
"He could have fooled me. You two were embracing in the entrance like a real couple."
Elena felt the phantom touch of Harada's palm on her cheek as gentle fingers brushed away her tears. Her hand lifted to her face as if to meet his. Aina smiled.
"Stop looking at me like that; we could never work."
"I find that those who truly love each other can overcome any obstacle."
Elena shook her head. "You make it sound so easy...."
"Because it is, nothing about love is complicated. People can make it complicated, but they're only punishing themselves."
A young woman dressed in a similar kimono poked her head out of the tea shop and called for Aina. Aina motioned for the girl to give her a moment and turned back to Elena. 
"That Harada is stationed at the checkpoint just outside of the market. You should go to him."
Elena bowed again in thanks, and the two parted ways. Despite her reservations, Elena found her feet moving towards the checkpoint. Could she and Harada work past the time barrier? Was there any guarantee that time would end up being a barrier? She hadn't made any progress towards going home so far; what made her so sure she would succeed now?
Elena found Harada at the checkpoint where she had first left him. The tension was palpable before she even came within earshot of the soldiers. Harada was gripping his spear to the point that his knuckles turned white. Yuuto, His second in command, stood as rigid as stone scowling at the dirt. Elena caught Harada's eye, and she wiggled her fingers in a sheepish greeting. His eyes softened.
Harada murmured something to Yuuto and left the barricade surrounding the checkpoint. He nodded his head for her to follow, and the two walked over to the nearby bridge. Elena took a seat and dangled her feet over the water. They sat in content silence, looking out over the river. Harada appeared to have as much on his mind as Elena did hers; neither was in a hurry to speak first.
"I saw what happened earlier...." Elena finally blurted. "The Bakufu soldiers are pitiful bastards."
Harada closed his eyes. "I didn't stop them, so I'm not much better."
"What are you talking about?! You did everything in your power to stop them."
"Not everything..."
"Harada-"
He reached over, took her hand, and gave a gentle squeeze. "Let's talk about something else. I don't have long with you."
His amber eyes were hardened by the burden of hurt, turning their luminescent beauty dull like a weathered stone. He looked back out over the water as though he may lose himself in thought again. Elena covered her hand over the top of his and squeezed. She hoped that a little bit of contact was enough to ground him and keep Harada with her. Selfishly, she needed his presence to keep herself grounded as well...
"Arrest that fiend!" Came the grave voice of the Bakufu soldier.
Harada was on his feet before Elena even began scrambling up from her spot on the ledge. Back at the checkpoint, a loan traveler was cowering behind Yuuto. The traveler babbled a blurred string of pleas, begging the men to reconsider the arrest. The Bakufu responded with drawn swords.
"Anyone trying to leave Kyoto without their papers is considered an enemy of the Shogunate," said the soldier
"But I had my papers, I swear!" The traveler implored, scrambling a few paces back.
"What a pathetic excuse! You honestly expect us to believe that?"
"This is an old friend of mine," Yuuto explained. "I can vouch he had his papers this morning when I saw him."
The head soldier looked as though his eyes would pop out of his head. He turned his blade to Yuuto. "Are you siding with this infidel?"
"Don't do this, please!" The traveler begged. "I just want to go home and spend time with my mother. I received word that she has fallen ill and may not make it through the new year."
Harada stepped between Yuuto and the traveler and the Bakufu soldiers. "If my subordinate says this man had his papers this morning, then he had his papers. There is no reason to carry on like this."
"You're just making excuses for your colleague-"
"I don't believe in making excuses; I'm defending the justice of our citizens. I trust this man and my colleague."
"Captain..." Yuuto gasped. He turned to his friend. "Where did you last see your papers?"
"I had them with me just before I got to this checkpoint. I stopped to eat before getting on the road-"The traveler gasped. "There was a man. He was asking some of the travelers in the restaurant about their papers and how to get them. He bumped into me on my way out...."
"So you think he stole them?" Yuuto confirmed.
The traveler nodded.
"Go and find his papers, hurry," Harada ordered.
The pair turned and ran towards the market. The Bakufu leader called for their arrest, and his underlings began to Pursue. Harada blocked their path and jammed the shaft of his spear into the man's solar plexus, wounding him. Yuuto froze and watched the altercation in mute horror.
"You dare stand in our way?"
"I can't keep standing idly by as you harass innocent civilians in the name of 'protecting the peace.' Bastards like you are a disgrace to everything soldiers stand for!"
"Anyone traveling without papers or found to be suspicious will be put under fierce examination! We're doing our job!"
"You won't have to examine this man if you let him go find his papers."
"And who's to say he won't run off and sneak across the border elsewhere?"
"That won't happen if Yuuto is with him."
"And if it does?" The head soldier challenged. "Are you willing to take responsibility for your negligence?"
"I, Sanosuke Harada, captain of the Shinsengumi's tenth division here bye swear upon my life that this man and my second will return with the requested papers by sundown. If they fail, I will pay by slicing open my stomach."
"Harada!" Elena screeched, running for the barricade to stop him.  Yuuto caught up to her and restrained her. "He can't do that! He can't make that promise!"
"It's already been done," he murmured in her ear. "Come with me, help me find this man's papers."
Yuuto didn't give her a choice. For the second time that day, she was ushered away from the checkpoint and into the market square. Elena looked back at Harada, but he was still turned away from her and staring down the soldiers. That stupid chivalrous moron!
Per Yuuto's orders, their first stop was the cafe the traveler last saw his papers at. The suspect wasn't there anymore. Elena dug her nails into her palm in a futile attempt to keep her frustration at bay. He had the traveler's papers; he most likely walked through the checkpoint by now.
Yuuto wasn't so sure. He told Elena about groups of thieves who made money selling stolen papers. There was a chance that the thief and his companions were still in the city. The trick was finding them. Elena split off from the group and began questioning all the shop owners and patrons in hopes of finding a lead.
She had methodically made it down two rows of stalls with no luck. The sun began to inch towards the horizon, twisting her stomach into knots. Was she chasing the wrong lead? Should she have stayed with Harada and tried to talk down the Bakufu? Should she have run and gotten Hijikata? Questions swirled around in her head, sewing seeds of doubt that choked out her concentration. She nearly missed her first solid lead.
"I told the shop owner they were suspicious... That's the third report of papers being stolen this week."
Elena stopped and whirled around. "You saw someone's papers getting stolen?" she demanded.
The bystander looked shocked at first but answered, "Not exactly. Mr. Ishii's shop is a frequent stop for travelers. Lately, some shady characters have been hanging around asking questions about everyone's papers. Every time I see them in there, someone's papers go missing."
"Where is this shop?"
The bystander pointed out a storefront a few yards down the street. Just then, a greasy man in a red kimono fled from the shop with an irate traveler chasing behind him. The traveler was screaming for the man to return his papers.
Elena pulled her sword from its scabbard and took off after the man as well. The thief was skilled; Elena would give him that. He wove through the market, pushing through crowds and hopping over stands in an attempt to lose his pursuers. The man chasing him couldn't keep up. Thinking he was clear, the thief went down an alley cut through to get to the next street over. Elena turned down the previous side street and cut him off. She struck him across the temple with the dull side of her sword, and he fell motionless to the ground. Elena sheathed her sword and doubled over out of breath. 
A long, low whistle of appreciation brought Elena back to attention. She looked up and down the all but abandoned street and saw no one.
"That's one hell of a swing you got there, precious," called a voice from above.
Standing right above her on the rooftop ledge was a man. He was tall and lanky, yet muscular at the same time, as though someone crossed a bodybuilder with a ballerina. He had almond-shaped eyes that looked down to observe her like her mother observed specimen under a microscope. His smile was both maniacal and friendly at the same time.
The man leaped from the roof and landed between the thief and Elena. "I see now what Kazama was talking about. You are a fascinating woman."
Elena stepped out of his reach and moved her hand to her hilt.
"I'm not going to hurt you," he promised.
"I don't trust strangers I've just met. Especially ones who associate with the likes of Kazama."
"Our associations are strictly business. I have no reason to toy with you like Kazama does."
The man reached down and pulled the stack of stolen papers from the thief's kimono. The thief groaned in protest and raised a hand in a pitiful attempt to stop him. The man dug his heel into the thief's shoulder and held out the papers to Elena.
"Peace offering. You need these to save your spearmen, right?"
It didn't matter that Elena already had several previous run-ins with Kazama's men; she was still unnerved by their uncanny ability to know her business. She stared at the papers, wasting precious time out of fear of unknown repercussions from the strange man. Was there a cost to accepting his help? Could saving Harada really be this easy? As she wondered, Yuuto and the traveler found and caught up with Elena.
"My papers!" Cried the traveler, throwing his arms around the stranger. "Thank you for stopping that criminal and getting back my papers, mister...."
Elena opened her mouth to say that she had chased the criminal and pummeled him to the ground, but the stranger spoke up first.
"The name's Shiranui, and don't get the wrong idea. I don't give a damn about your papers; Elena here merely caught my eye, so I decided to get involved."
Yuuto and the traveler celebrated amongst themselves, leaving Elena to glare indignantly at Shiranui. He smiled back at her, unperturbed.
"That was my takedown, and you know it!" She hissed. "Where do you get off stealing credit for other people's work."
"Those simpleminded fools wouldn't believe you took that piece of human filth down even if it was you stepping on him with papers in your hand. You honestly expect them to give you credit when they found you cowering against the wall with your sword sheathed?" Shiranui laughed. "You're playing with the wrong crowd if you ever want to be recognized for your oni strength."
"Because you and your companions are so progressive?" Elena challenged. "That's one hell of a superiority complex you all seem to have when it comes to the human race.
Shiranui shrugged. "I guess you have to pick your poison then. What's more important to you, precious? Being recognized for the talented and powerful being, you are or everyone getting along?" He turned and walked away, throwing his hand up in a lazy wave goodbye. "Tell your spearman I'll be seeing him soon."
His words and the darkening shadows on the street reminded Elena of the mission she still needed to complete. Rounding up Yuuto and the traveler, the three ran all the way back to the checkpoint. They made it back just as the sun brushed the tips of the trees on the western mountain tops. Harada was on his knees, sword drawn and ready to fulfill his promise.
Elena barreled into him, knocking the sword from his grasp and knocking Harada flat on his back. She landed on top of him, her face inches from his. Harada stared up at her, his eyes mirroring her own panic.
The traveler presented his papers to the Bakufu soldiers, and everyone silently waited for their judgment. Finally, the leader gave a grunt of approval and demanded the traveler get out of his sight. Elena's fear and anxiety morphed into anger. She struck Harada in the chest with her fists, pounding into him over and over.
"You moron!" Elena screeched. "Don't you ever gamble with your life again! Ever," she hit him once more to emphasize her words.
Having been hit nearly a dozen times by now, Harada wrapped his hands around her wrists and sat up. "Okay, okay, Elena, calm down. I'm sorry I scared you."
"I won't calm down! I don't want to calm down! I want to fight with you!" She struggled against his ironclad hold.
Harada's eyebrows shot up under his head plate. "You...want to fight with me? Why in the hell would you-"
Elena pressed her lips to his, cutting off his question. She savored the warm heat of his lips, for they were proof that he was still alive and with her. 'He's safe... He's here... He's alive..." Her brain repeated over and over. Only when she was positive that the words were true did she end the kiss and look into the amber depths of his eyes.
"Because I love you, you idiot."
Harada nodded; still half dazed from Elena's sudden display of affection. He picked himself up off the ground and scooped Elena into his arms.
"Alright, Sweetheart, let's go home and fight."

Kazama POV

She was a vision! Dressed in radiant, unblemished white. A blank canvas for him to mold and grow with. She kept her head dipped low, hiding her face under the wataboshi. Step by step, she approached at a painfully slow pace. Kazama yearned to lay eyes upon her once more and embrace her in his arms-
She walked right past him. All he was able to see was the tip of her nose and her red-painted bottom lip peeking out from the opening of her headdress. If he didn't know any better, he would have sworn she was smirking!
"Chizuru!" Kazama called after his bride.
She paused for a moment and then turned her lovely face to him. She was as breathtaking as he remembered. From her smooth, unblemished skin to her kind brown eyes that held only love for him. Her rose-hued lips pulled at the corners, presenting Kazama with a coy smile.
Chizuru lowered herself into a dignified bow. "Thank you for coming, Kazama. Your presence on this joyous day is appreciated."
She turned from him and continued on her original path. In the distance Kazama could make out Kodo Yukimura, Sen and Kimigiku. They were standing with some human samurai dressed in formal wedding attire. Upon seeing him, Chizuru quickened her pace, struggling to walk in the expected dignified manner. Sen embraced her friend, giggling and stage whispering how lucky her husband was. Kazama's anger ignited. He phased through the distance between them, materializing directly behind Chizuru. He snatched her by the shoulder and spun her around to face him.
"What the hell do you think you're doing?" He demanded.
"Kazama..." she gasped.
"You're marrying a human? You belong to me; we're going home!" Kazama latched his fingers around her wrist, but Chizuru was unmovable.
Something was wrong.
Kazama turned back to Chizuru, and all traces of kindness, her gentle nature, and innocence were gone. She met his gaze and looked through him.
"How do you think your wife will feel about that?" Chizuru asked
"My wife?"
Kazama felt a hand intertwine with his. He looked down and saw Elena dressed identically to Chizuru standing next to him. She looked up to him with a cruel smile.
"You were going to toss me away too?" Her hand tightened around his to the point that he heard his bones begin to groan under pressure. "You disgust me..."
* * * *
Kazama's eyes opened. He blinked rapidly to dispel the remnants of the dream and sat up from the futon. His hand instinctively reached across the futon to where Chizuru would be sleeping next to him. His hand was met with cold sheets and empty space. Kazama's eyes slipped back closed, and he blew air out of his nose. He then rolled himself over and off the futon in the most undignified manner and left his room.
"Bad dream?" Amagiri asked as Kazama entered the sitting room.
"What would give you that impression?"
"You were moaning and calling out in your sleep."
Kazama scoffed. "I am not a child; I don't call out in the night over a dream."
"Perhaps you're an adult with some unsettled issues..." Amagiri offered.
"And what issues do you think I have left unsettled?" He glared at his counterpart, willing him not to bring up the apparent unsettled issue plaguing his dreams.
"My apologies, Kazama. You obviously have your affairs in order; I should not have implied otherwise. I will leave you to your endeavors this morning and be on my way."
"Where are you going?"
"I am going to get our papers to return home; I should be gone most of the day."
The idea of going into town piqued Kazama's interest. Perhaps while Amagiri was busy acquiring their papers, he could go check on Chizuru. It wasn't his best idea; both of them would benefit from a clean break. Still, an overwhelming part of him was selfish and immature that day and didn't care about the consequences of seeing her again.
"I will leave with you; I have some errands to run as well. Perhaps I will even get some breakfast in town."
Kazama gathered his coins and his sword and met Amagiri at the door. When they opened it to leave, they found Sen waiting in the entryway carrying a covered basket. She flashed the two of them a coy smile and then dipped it into a bow.
"Kazama, Amagiri, I was hoping to catch you before you left...."
Usually, Kazama didn't bother calling out Sen on her antics. Today, however, he found her to be particularly grating to his nerves, and he was in a rather combative mood.
"Hoping? Are you sure you didn't just know?"
"I have no idea what you're talking about," her stupid smile widened. "I merely came to offer you a meal on your way out of town. I figured you might be hungry, and the restaurants are so busy at this time of year. These are called kouign-amann. I received them from a French diplomat yesterday; they're rich and delicious. You should try them!"
Kazama scowled at the woman taking up the doorway. Centuries ago, the Gozen family held the gift of clairvoyance. However, the power was lost when Suzuka Gozen mated with a human five hundred years ago. Suzuka was the only family member known to taint the bloodlines since her all clan members were bred with purebloods. It was rumored that the clan began to have members with the gift again four generations ago, though no one could confirm it.
Kazama always had his suspicions seeing as the family hadn't made a wrong political move in over a century and one half. Not to mention, Sen barely tried to hide her abilities as well. Take Elena's arrival in Kyoto, for example. Her guard 'happening' to show up moments after Elena first time walked even though they both reside miles away on the outskirts of town. She always appeared to be in the know. Still, whenever Kazama accused her of possessing her clan's lineal gift; she would give him that stupid smiled and deny it!
"I don't have patience for your games this morning," Kazama moved to sidestep around the woman blocking the exit.
Sen cocked her hip and raised an impatient eyebrow. "I believe you do have the time. There's nothing to rush off to; Chizuru won't see you."
Kazama flinched. Her words caught him off guard, which infuriated him. "So you can see the future," he accused. He needed to compose his emotions before he touched her proclamation.
"Are you so quick to forget our history together? I've long since learned your patterns, Kazama. I don't need to see the future to know your intentions."
Kazama didn't want to touch their delicate history either. Now backed into a conversational corner, he chose the lesser of two evils and switched back to his former love.
"Since when do you speak for Chizuru?" Kazama demanded.
"Since you abandoned her on my doorstep and went running back to Satsuma and your father. Speaking of them, isn't it about time you found yourself reuniting with them once more?"
"Why are you in such a hurry to get rid of me, princess? Could it have anything to do with the emperor's declining condition?"
All traces of soft, coy teasing hardened. Sen's back straightened like a bamboo chute, growing her two inches. "I assure you those are baseless rumors!" She seethed.
Kazama smiled inwardly, knowing that he, too, had knocked her off balance. One of the reasons he and Amagiri had stuck around so long in Kyoto was to check into the emperor's health and gauge the timeline of his demise.
"Pitiful, your loyalties lie with the humans over your own kind...."
Sen made a sound of disgust and shoved the basket of treats into Kazama's so forcefully a few of the wicker braided snapped and dug into him. "Take your treats and get the hell out of town!" She growled and turned to leave.
"You should consider making preparations to hide the clans," Kazama called after her. Sen stopped but didn't turn around. "Peace amongst the domains is soon going to be impossible."
"What will you do? Your clan still owes a debt of honor to Satsuma."
"I suppose that depends on the path the war takes and how soon I ascend."
Sen turned around, her face grim. "You wish to wipe out Satsuma." It was a statement of fact, not an accusation or question.
Kazama didn't deny it. 
"Do you have any idea how far back that will set our work? We will never be able to coexist with the humans if we go around wiping out entire clans!"
"'Our work?' You speak as though the Oni have come to a unanimous decision to coexist."
"Unlike you, most oni clans now see the value in coexisting with the humans rather than hiding or fighting!"
"I never said coexisting wasn't valuable. I simply believe humans make an effort futile. Look at them now; they've built up a grand city one might call beautiful, and by this time next year, it will be in ruins. And for what purpose?"
Sen shook her head and sighed. "I'm not going to stop until I see the future I wish to live in," she told him as she turned from him once more to head on her way.
"You're doing it again," Kazama growled.
"Doing what?" Kazama could practically hear that stupid coy smile in her voice.
"Making those comments that hint to your abilities."
Sen's shoulders shook with laughter, but she was too far down the road for him to hear.
* * * *
With Amagiri and Sen gone, Kazama found himself restless with no outlet to distract him. Visiting Chizuru like he had initially planned was now off the table. Though he didn't want to admit it, the pastries Sen brought him did satisfy him for breakfast.
Left with nothing better to do, he wandered the streets of Kyoto, admiring the architectural oasis nestled in the crook of the distant snow-covered mountains. There was a simple elegance to the town he had always admired. It amazed him that humans were capable of creating such beautiful temples, gardens, and statues. After all, their most notable skill was war and destruction.
He meandered past the shrines and temples where humans went to offer up money and prayers. The streets were narrowed by lines of tents on either side selling seasonal goods to the passing crowds. Uninterested in mingling that much with pests, Kazama veered off towards the river. It was about this time that he felt a familiar tingling at the base of his spine.
Curious, Kazama followed the sensation all the way to the south bridge, where he felt a heightened sensation but saw nothing. He scanned the bridge, streets, water, and even the nearby rooftops and still didn't see the source of the feelings. He was just about to loop back when movement under the bridge caught his eye. 
Kneeling in the dirt beneath the belly of the deck was Elena. Kazama narrowed his eyes as he took in the disheveled appearance of the woman who was supposed to be his future wife. Her periwinkle kimono was frayed and tattered around the hem and had several oddly placed seams where she had mended the garment. The knees had faded from years of sitting on them and were now covered in dust and grass thanks to her current choice in activities. Gathered in her hands was a pitiful bouquet of wilted dandelions.
"What on earth are you doing?"
Elena jolted, looked up to see who spoke, and then froze in place. She stared up at him, opening and closing her mouth like some kind of fish, struggling to form words to answer him.
"You do know these are common weeds, do you not? There are far more charming flowers to adorn your hair or chambers with," he told her.
"They're more than decorative weeds...."
"Usefulness aside; they're blooming out of season, under-grown, and cultivated in poor conditions-"
"You think I don't know that?" Elena snapped.
"I see your insolence hasn't improved," Kazama drolled. "Tell me, little one, what were you planning to do with these plants?"
"I want to make them into a tea."
"There is a shop in town that sells that type of tea; just have one of your soldiers buy it for-"
"The Shinsengumi pay me. I can afford the tea on my own."
"If you can afford the tea, then why is a lady of your stature under a bridge collecting second rate weeds-"
"Because the shop owner won't sell me the tea Kazama!" Her eyes burned like the coals at the end of a fire.
"What do you mean the shop owner won't sell you the tea?"
Elena vomited up a fervent rant about missing some type of modern coffee product known as a 'cappuccino,' the Ogawa family shop refusing her service, and dandelion tea tasting similar to this beloved drink. Kazama had to try not to laugh as she regaled him with the tale. Her arms flailed in emphatic exasperation and her usual smug composure unraveled into petulance.
Kazama offered his hand to Elena. "Get out of the dirt. If you so desire the import, I will arrange it to be at the Ogawa's shop waiting for you at the start of the second month."
Elena made no move to take his hand. "Why are you-"
"I will not allow my future bride to be disrespected by a mere human, nor will I allow her to dig around under a bridge for ingredients I can buy for her."
"I see you're still having delusions about me becoming your wife," Elena growled, crossing her arms over her chest.
"Accept or deny your fate; it won't change how things will end." He reached for Elena. She scrambled backward, Kazama rolled his eyes. "You can relax; I have no plans of taking you with me today. I simply wish to return you safely to your escort. It's getting late, and the ronin are beginning to prowl."
Elena helped herself up and cocked her hip. "I don't have an escort this evening."
You mean to tell me those Bakufu dogs allowed their precious bird out of her cage alone?"
Elena laughed; it was an undignified and grating noise. "Don't speak as though you have some moral high ground. You can't wait to lock me in a cage of your own!"
"I want to put you on a pedestal where you belong," Kazama corrected.
"Really now? Tell me, Kazama, what happens if I ever want to get down?"
'why would she want to?' Kazama asked himself. If she was content staying in the pigsty that was the Shinsengumi barracks, then how could she not be content living in the luxury he provided? Kazama's mind dredged up memories of Chizuru. How the two shared meals together and stayed up in his study late at night while he worked. How happy she was to simply be in his presence. Irritation prickled up his spine as he realized how much he, too, valued her presence as well.
"That's what I thought," Elena said as she studied his silence. "Gilding a cage and calling it by a different name doesn't change the fact that it is still a cage."
Elena's sharp tongue further addled Kazama's bad mood. He wanted her out of his sight as soon as possible. He gave her a curt command to follow and lead the way back to her place of residence. The streets were still crowded with festival-goers and a few stray travelers, slowing their journey. Elena kept pace with him, and the pair walked in heavy silence until twilight had almost faded to dark. As the light disappeared, so did Kazama's anger. He tried to reason with Elena once more.
"I know you must think of me as some monster. But, the Oni are sophisticated beings who hold traditions and formalities in high regard. For the record, when I do come for you, I will take the time and place into consideration."
At first, the only response Elena gave him was a small gasp. Whether that gasp was out of understanding, shock, or another reason, he didn't know her well enough to tell. When the sky had grown completely dark, Elena continued the conversation.
"Why take me at all? What do you have to gain from kidnapping an unwilling bride?"
"Our families owe a lot to each other. We have been betrothed since you were a babe clinging to your mother's hip. In time you will learn to find happiness as wives of most political marriages do."
"Sen said you want...a- an heir...what if-"She paused for a long moment, took in an unsteady breath, then practically shouted, "What if I don't want to give you a baby? I won't let you force me, Kazama. I'll fight you! I'll fight you with-"
Kazama whirled the woman behind him. What the hell did she take him for?! He stalked towards her, and she retreated from him step for step. Her body trembled with fear-fulled rage, and her eyes began to glow ever so slightly as her oni abilities tried to kick in and protect her. Kazama could only imagine what his expression looked like. Her words ignited a ** rage from deep within him. He wasn't one of those bottom-feeding humans from the red light district who needed to force women. He was the head of the Kazama clan!
'To her, that means nothing....' his brain reminded him. Two-thirds of her life was spent with humans; of course, her expectations would be low. His anger shifted to the beings responsible for her misconceptions, and he stopped pursuing her. She retreated back an extra three steps, hiding in the shadows of a nearby building. The only part of her he could clearly see was her iridescent green eyes reflecting the irrational horrors her imagination conjured.
"I have no desire nor intentions to force an unwilling woman into bearing my heir. I meant what I said earlier, I am not a monster," he told her.
Kazama patiently waited for Elena to realize his claims to be true and come out of hiding. "Why take me for a bride if I won't continue on your lineage?"
"What makes you so sure you want?" Kazama asked as he turned and began walking once more.
"Because I just said I don't want to!"
"Maybe you don't want to today, but we will be spending the rest of our lives together. That's a long time to be around someone and plenty of time for me to win over your affections."
"I don't know whether to accuse you of being cocky or delusional!" Elena sputtered.
Kazama let out a weary chuckle. "I suppose someday you will find out for yourself." The remainder of the walk passed without another word. Occasionally he could pick up an all but inaudible sigh as Elena undoubtedly mulled over their conversations. When they were close enough to the front gates, Kazama stopped and turned to Elena one last time. "You should be safe to walk the rest of the way from here."
"Thank you," Elena said with a robotic bow.
"I will be away from Kyoto for a while. The next time I return, it will be to take you with me."
She nodded once and then shook her head and glared at him as though he was to blame for her indecision. He watched her as she ran for the front gates of the Shinsengumi headquarters. The humans standing guard greeted her warmly. One, the spearmen, embraced her playfully, grabbing her by the waist and swinging her around. Elena's bubbling giggle echoed down the streets, only quieting momentarily when his lips met hers.
She walked with him inside the compound, snuggled up under his arm, leaving two soldiers remaining to stand watch. As Elena willingly retreated back into her cage, Kazama wondered if the two of them were capable of even a fraction of that happiness?
He dismissed the thought immediately, though. He didn't need soft caresses and stolen kisses to find happiness. He knew his purpose in life; what drove his every action in life was the power and honor of the Kazama clan. Still, as he turned from the sight in disgust, visions of Chizuru's roaming hands plagued his thoughts, and her bell tone giggle rung in his ears.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 170 59
This is a sequel to my other yyh fanfic book 'A Warm Compassion'. The Next Generation of Team Urameshi's family group. Please read that first before...
38.9K 1.2K 17
* THIS IS A COPYRIGHTED STORY OF MINE, MIDNIGHT_LILAC, PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD. IF YOU FIND IT ON ANY OTHER WEBSITE, IT HAS BEEN COPIED/REPUBLISHED WITH...
56.2K 1.6K 35
Chiyomaru is Inuyasha's younger twin sister, a mortal girl who's demonic powers were taken from her in the womb by Inuyasha. Only powers that remaine...
6.7K 184 15
Two sisters who have been abandoned and as a result they have lived in the streets for years. That is until they were accepted into a dojo and taught...