The Crowning | Skephalo

By DaddyHisokasTongue

!!!COMPLETE!!! Prince Zak is bound to be king over the land of Lozenge, including the town of Badlands. Durin... More

.Intro.
2. Royal Family
3. Dance
4. Visit
5. Dinner
6. Blacksmith
7. Special Town
8. Tea
9. Ring
10. Secret Kiss
11. Terrace
12. Surprise
13. Fate
14. Together, Forever

1. Badlands

1K 37 56
By DaddyHisokasTongue

Darryl POV

I wake up in my bed like any other day in this small town, the Badlands. Our town is ruled by the Ahmed family, who rule over our country, Lozenge.

The smell of my family's home and mothers cooking fill my nostrils to float me out of bed. I change out of my sleeping attire and change into the usual trousers with a loose fit top.

Got a busy day today; it's not easy being a brother, father, friend, whatever people want to call me all over the village. I've taken up my father's mantle as the village's esteemed man since his passing. And I have to go to work as usual too.

I wander into the kitchen and smile at my mother and sisters' sight. My brother, the eldest sibling, is not home because he became a knight a few months ago. We miss him, but his duty now belongs to the royal family and guards.

My mother, Cara, began, "Darryl, you're awake. While your out I need you to stop by the bakery and buy a fresh loaf from Ms. Niki and Ms. Rebecca. Here's some money." I take the change from her hand and nod.

Both are very fine sisters, my mothers age and attitude, both unwed. They all get along, my mothers and the sisters, like peas in a pod.

I reply, "Alright, any other chores you bore me with instead of yourself?"

She shakes her head, "Nothing else. Just get me a loaf."

My sister, Lucy, says, "Darryl, may you also get a small sweet for me?"

I smile, "Yes Lucy, what would you like?"

She shrugs, "Anything will be good, as long as it's sweet."

I assure them, "I will get the loaf and sweet before I return home."

My mother says, "Goodbye Darryl."

Lucy says, "Hope everything is alright Darryl." I wave goodbye and walk out of our small home to wander about.

I stop by the church and ask, "Pastor Preston?"

He appears out of the confessional, "Darryl! Welcome my friend. Are you here to attend a service?"

I shake my head, "No, no, I'm just making sure everything is alright."

Preston replies, "Doing well as always. I have someone in the confessional right now so I must get back to them but come around some more. Perhaps we can get food later?"

I assure, "We will soon. I'll be back sometime this week."

He smiles, "See you then." I leave the church and walk to my next stop.

On the way, the usual Michael is bound next to the road. He yells, "Darryl! How are you today?"

I wave at him, "Good Michael, how are you?"

He smiles, "Same as always. Got business today?"

I shrug, "Always. Well I must get going."

He replies, "No, no, I have something to say Darryl. I've been researching some stories from the east and I have-"

I cut him off, "I really must get going Michael but I hope you enjoy your research." I swiftly walk away because simply dealing with insane Michael rots anyone's brain. His made up theories and research all comes out from the dirt of the Earth.

I knock on the door of our town's apothecary and say, "Anyone in?"

They reply, "No, come on in."

I open the door and walk in, "Dr. Callahan, is everything alright today?"

He looks at me and nods, "Yes, everything is the same. Business has been a little slow lately, but I suppose that's better for all of us."

I smile, "I'm glad to see more people being upright on their feet."

Callahan says, "Yes, it's a bittersweet thing for me."

I chuckled, "I suppose."

He asks, "How's your family?"

I shrug, "We've just been working like usual."

He smiles, "That's good, that's good, glad to hear. What brought you in today then?"

I shrug, "Just checking in on you, want to make sure you're alright."

He replies, "I've been working so how alright can I ever be?"

I shrug, "Yes your position always is needed no matter how vacant it seems now. But I guess I'll leave you alone and go about now."

He waves, "Goodbye Darryl, let me know if anything is needed."

I wave, "Yes of course. Farewell." I walk out and move along. I wave to the kids and others along the streets and everyone waves back or shouts about how i'm doing.

Mr. Schlatt grunts, "Darryl! H-hey son, where are you off to?" I can smell the alcohol in his breath from feet away.

I reply to him with a smile, "Mr. Blades home."

Mr. Schlatt scoffs, "That old man? Come! Let's go to the pub and get a drink! I already have one, but let's get you one!"

I shake my head, "I really must go. And there is school today so I must not be diverted."

He scowls, "As usual, responsible Darryl. You really take after your father."

I shrug, "I got it from somewhere. Now I really must be off."

Mr. Schlatt says, "Goodbye then." I wave and swiftly walk away.

I smell myself, "At least I don't reek like him."

I walk to Mr. Blade's home and knock on the door. He opens the door and his smile brightens my day, "Darryl! Come in, come in, I have some tea already brewing. And biscuits!"

I walk in, "Thank you Mr. Blade. How have you been? I haven't gotten to visit lately."

He waves his hands around, "No worries! You visit me more than my own son does. Ever since he went to go be a knight for the royals or what not."

I reply, "He must be needed at service. Dave is a good man, with a good heart and strength. All credit to you being a wonderful father as well."

Mr. Blade puts his hands over his heart, "Thank you Darryl. You are all of that and more as well."

I say, "What tea have you brewed today?" He gets up and pours two cups for us.

He sighs, "Chamomile. I need to go to the market and get some others because this same old chamomile has been a pain in my arse."

I lowly chuckle, "I can fetch whatever you'd like Mr. Blade anytime you'd like."

He waves his hands around again, "Call me Philza Darryl! You are like my son just as much as Dave."

I smile, "It's alright Mr. Blade, your surname is what I've grown used to and I never mean disrespect."

He sighs, "Whatever you prefer is alright I suppose. But refer to me as Philza every now and then so I feel a bit younger."

We both laugh and I say, "You don't look a day over my age."

He smiles, "You are too kind Darryl. You need to visit me more often! I always have tea and something to talk with you. I enjoy your company."

I reply, "I will be sure to visit more often. Lately it's been busier because the royal family has been growing in demands and needs. I believe they might be preparing for something of sorts?"

Mr. Blade nods, "Yes, oh yes, I noticed that sometimes guards will come around and pick things up even in the middle of the night."

I say, "Perhaps the king has grown double his size?"

He laughs and says, "Perhaps the entire family has stayed in their castle for so long that their heads have grown twice their size."

We laugh and I say, "We'd be caught by the guards if we even utter such things."

He scoffs, "They can throw whoever in that dungeon of theirs for whatever reason the family finds fitting."

Mr. Blade and I talk for a while more before it's time for me to begin class soon. I get up and say, "This has been lovely Mr. Blade, but I must go teach the children."

He says, "Oh alright. Don't forget to visit me soon Darryl, I'll hold you on your word!"

I smile, "Hold me to my vow, I'll be back no more than the coming week."

He waves, "I'll let you leave now, goodbye Darryl."

I wave, "Thank you Philza for the tea, farewell."

I walk to the school and wait at the door for my students. They all skip to me and say, "Good afternoon Mr. Saint!"

I smile and welcome them, "Hello Tommy, hello Toby, hello Ranboo, and hello Grayson! Let's go inside and let me see if all of you accomplished the assignment I gave you yesterday." They all go from smiling to a straight, embarrassed face.

Toby says, "Actually Mr. Saint..."

Tommy, his elder brother, finishes his sentence, "We all spent the day outside playing in the mud from the day before."

I look at them and laugh, "I would too. Alright, let's complete it in class now."

We go in and the students take seats at their desks while I sit at my table and begin to read their assignment. After two hours pass, I sigh, "Alright children. The climate outside is wonderful and the sun is bright. So go home and there are no assignments for completion."

The kids cheer and run out the building while yelling, "Goodbye Mr. Saint!" I wave at them as I wonder why I ever take up so many positions for myself. Not only do I try to be the town's "man", but I'm the only teacher.

I took up teaching because I'm one of the most educated men in the town because of my father. He believed my sister and I always needed an education and he was our personal teacher. As I grew up, not many others were educated and I can't stand thinking the children are raised with no knowledge.

And I labor at the blacksmith for other funds.

I'm walking over to the blacksmith when Ant, the botanist, stops me. He says, "Darryl, where are you off to?"

I reply, "Doing my labor at the blacksmith as usual. Are you going anywhere special?" I look at his special attire and curiosity required me to ask.

He replies, "Nothing special. I have a tea party with Ms. Nikita and Ms. Rebecca before the sun falls in my garden. They even prepared a red velvet cake so I'm told."

I drool at the thought, "Their sweets are charming as always. But I really do have to go before Alex scuffles me up for being late. Have fun at your tea party."

Ant says, "Have fun at work." We wave and say goodbye before departing.

I walk to my best friend's home, Alex, which happens to be the blacksmith as well. He makes the weapons, machinery, whatever is needed for the royal family and our town. I help him on the side to stay well built and for extra currency for my family.

I walk in and say, "Alex!"

He runs over and hugs me, "Darryl! Welcome! I can use you right now. Come over and help me pour this."

I walk over to the melting station and we both lift a bucket of iron up and pour onto the hot bowl below for it to melt down. Alex wipes sweat off his forehead, "Thank you. My arms have been tired out all day and I couldn't lift it."

I reply, "Of course. Anything for me to work on tonight?"

Alex shakes his head, "I got done what needed to be finished today. You can help me clean up."

Alex has been my best friend, nearly brother, ever since we were little. He was an orphan, him and his brother, living on the streets. His older brother abandoned him while Alex was seven years old to go off to god knows where.

My father, Noah, took in Alex with us. We were raised together and once Alex came of age to take care of himself, he thanked my parents and decided to start this business. He's always been a strong, hard working man. He's good of heart and humorous as well. More of a brother to me than my own blood, Clay.

After the place is all clean and organized I say, "Well the sun will begin to fall soon so I should get going."

Alex asks, "Want to get drinks at the pub?"

I shake my head, "I have to get my mother and Lucy goods from the bakery. And Mr. Schlatt is probably there."

Alex laughs, "I want to go see that crazy drunk right now. See you tomorrow Darryl."

I wave, "Goodbye Alex."

I go to the bakery and the smell of bread wafts through the air out of the windows. Ms. Niki and Ms. Rebecca are at their stations beating dough till they form the perfect form. I smile, "Good afternoon Ms. Niki and Mr. Rebecca."

They look at me and say, "Darryl!"

They hug me and Ms. Niki says, "How's your mother? She sent you to come by?"

I shrug, "While I was out, she figured I could get a loaf. My mother is at home cooking and cleaning."

Ms. Rebecca scoffs, "Cara is probably ignoring us. My own close friend."

I shake my hands around, "I swear she is not. She's just busy and asked me to visit."

Ms. Niki laughs, "We know Darryl, we are just making fun. What would you like today? Just bread?"

I nod, "One loaf and are there any sweets today?"

Ms. Rebecca nods, "I have some red velvet cake and a muffin"

I smile, "I'll take both please."

They put the goods in a basket and handed them to me after I paid the price. Ms. Rebecca exclaimed, "Oh Darryl! Don't forget to tell your mother she should be around here tomorrow afternoon. We need to talk since she hasn't come herself."

I nod my head, "Yes I will tell my mother as soon as my foot steps in the door."

Ms. Niki says, "Alright go along then. Have a safe night Darryl."

I reply, "Thank you, goodnight madams." I leave and walk back home to end the day.

I walk through the door and say, "Mother, Ms. Niki and Ms. Rebecca have told me that you are to visit them tomorrow. And they seem to miss you."

My mother looks over her shoulder while she's at the stove. She smiles, "They'll be alright without me for a day. Did you get the loaf?" I hold up the basket and nod. She waves her hands for me to bring it over.

I call out, "Lucy, I'm home!"

She puts her toys down from the sitting room to come and hug me. She asks, "Have you got me any sweets?"

I nod, "Two. Red velvet cake and a muffin, which would you like?"

My mother scolds, "Not yet. Dinner is ready so let's all sit at the table."

We sat down and my mother made mushroom soup along with roasted turkey. We put our hands together to thank god and then begin to eat. After dinner is finished, we get up and clean before I give my sister her sweets.

She says, "I want the cake, and you can have the muffin."

I ask, "Really?"

She nods, "I like red velvet cake far better."

I smile, "Thank you."

We relax in the sitting room and enjoy our sweets as my mother sits on her chair sewing clothing for the town. The smile on my sister's face brings me joy along with my mothers smile while watching us enjoy a sweet slice of life.

Word Count: 2607

A/N: Thank you for reading chapter 1!! Hope you're enjoying it so far! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.7K 1.8K 37
🌊skephalo 🌊 Darryl and Zak are In high school, And they become friends. They have agreements then and there. And they of course get jealous. But...
110K 3.9K 47
Hello , this is a skephalo book. This is a book about Darryl and Zak they are both are forced to marry. And Zak doesn't want to love Darryl the wa...
514K 22.5K 25
[#1 in "skephalo" - 10/06/2019] [#1 in "minecraft" -02/06/2020] (cover is drawn by kokoacat on instagram) Zak, nicknamed Skeppy, is a popular basebal...
313K 15.6K 21
Zak has always wondered about when he would be able to see the color of the sky, or the grass or even his mother's eyes. All his life, he's lived sur...