Puppet Strings

By solliette

She never wanted to die. She just didn't deserve to live. ~~~ In a world where having a magical ability was c... More

Prologue
Character Profile
Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven

Chapter Two

39 3 0
By solliette

Over the next few days, books, toys, and art supplies were brought into Alluna's hospital room. Unused to all the new supplies, she left them mostly untouched.

The past few days were very quiet. Alluna stayed in bed most of the time. It turned out that she had broken her clavicle and right leg. She also fractured her left arm, wrist, and ankle. It hurt to walk and it hurt to stand. But her doctor, Doctor Rintaro, had a masterful healing quirk, and was pleased to announce that she would be able to leave the hospital within the next two or three days. Alluna didn't know where she would go.

The calendar on the wall read February 28th. The clock next to it displayed the time; 9:56. Alluna had a wooden breakfast tray on her lap, with white rice, miso soup, a piece of salmon, and a small container of pickles resting on top. She was halfway through her soup when she heard a knock on the door.

"Alluna-san, you have a visitor." Yukimura's voice came from the other side of the door.

"Send them in." she replied, putting down her soup spoon on the tray.

The door opened and Aizawa walked in, followed closely by Yukimura. Alluna sat up straighter on her bed, brushing hair out of her face. "Good morning, Aizawa-san."

"Hello," he replied, looking tired like always. He sat down at the foot of her bed, clasping his hands together. Alluna waited in nervous anticipation; Aizawa obviously had something important to say. Could it be that he found out about...?

"I've arranged to be your temporary guardian."

Alluna blinked. "What?" She met Aizawa's gaze; it was warm and unflinching. He was telling the truth. Alluna would be going to live with him. To live with a hero. She wasn't sure what to think.

But she thanked him, earning a tired smile in reply. Yukimura clapped and cheered in the background. After Aizawa left, the rest of the morning passed in a blur. Alluna changed into her old clothes — which Yukimura had personally washed — and helped said lady pack up anything she wanted to bring to Aizawa's home in a tote bag that read "trust your heart". According to Yukimura, Aizawa had left behind a pair of children's sneakers, one size too big, but the first new pair of shoes Alluna had in ages.

Yukimura offered to look in the children's play area for anything else Alluna might've liked to take, and though she refused, the older lady went anyway, leaving Alluna alone in her room with time to think.

Why did Aizawa take her in? He was a hero. Were heroes good or bad? Did she trust the media or mother? Did she trust Aizawa? Did he have any ulterior motive? Did he find out about her...

Yukimura burst in the open doorway, startling Alluna into dropping her bag on the bed. The older lady hastily apologized and spread her findings on the white sheets. Alluna picked a few — mostly to keep Yukimura happy — and thanked the said woman.

When the time slowly neared two in the afternoon, Yukimura led Alluna down the hallways of the hospital to the front reception area, where Aizawa would be waiting for her. She gave her patient a big hug, told her to take care of herself, and left.

What a nice lady.

~~~

Alluna squinted up at the bright blue sky, the blinding light burning her eyes. It had been over a week since she'd seen it, and even then, she rarely went outside. Aizawa stood beside her, scarf and goggles abandoned for a more casual outfit. The air was chilly, not as cold as that day, but not quite spring. With her scarf back safely on her neck, she felt safe and warm. It wasn't too crowded in front of the hospital, and Alluna could keep herself under control with deep breaths.

Alluna wasn't close with Aizawa, and stayed silent on the ride to his house. It would be awkward going to live with someone she barely knew. She almost wished Yukimura was coming. Of course, she was grateful, but she just wasn't used to such kindness. Sitting in the backseat of his car, Alluna gripped the tote bag in her lap. A piece of paper fell out and fluttered to the floor. Alluna bent down to retrieve it and found a message in blue ink. It was from Yukimura and all it said was her phone number. Alluna smiled looking at it. Yukimura reminded her of her own mother before his death.

Around ten minutes later the group of two arrived at Aizawa's modest three-bedroom townhouse. Alluna noted that it was larger than her old home, a two-bedroom apartment that was really nothing more than a studio flat.

Aizawa led her upstairs to the guest room, where she would be staying. The door opened to reveal a medium sized room — big for Alluna — with gray and turquoise highlights. A bookshelf, closet, and vanity were on the left wall, and large glass windows on the right.

Alluna wasn't good at expressing gratitude. She knew she sounded awkward thanking Aizawa, but it would seem rude to stay silent. Aizawa nodded in return, told her that he'd leave her alone, and that dinner would be at seven. He closed the door behind him and Alluna's ears followed his footsteps down the stairs.

Alluna let out a breath, sitting down cross-legged on the bed. She dropped her tote bag on the floor, letting it tip over to spill its contents on the rectangular carpet. The window on the other side of the room had its curtains open, letting rays of sunlight flood the room. A large tree branch reached from the left to the right, about right under the window.

Alluna slipped off the bed and walked over to the silver-rimmed window. Balanced on the crook where the branch met the tree, was a small bird's nest with two brown and gray eggs in it. Alluna's eyes widened. She tapped the window, slipping her slender fingers underneath the small space between the window and its frame. It moved without much difficulty. She lifted it open. A light breeze blew in, causing some of Alluna's soft hair to flutter in a halo around her face. She leaned out the window, reaching out a hand to touch the smooth bark of the tree branch. Back at her old apartment, birds had occasionally visited her window, where Alluna sometimes left breadcrumbs. She decided that she'd do the same here.

She glanced down. The guest room was on the second floor, so the ground was around three or four meters below her. She wouldn't die by jumping off, probably just break a few more bones. Not like she wanted to, anyway.

Alluna sighed. She turned away from the window, her gaze meeting the bookcase on the other side of the room. She crossed the room, slide open the turquoise sliding door,

She scanned the bookshelf from top to bottom, examining the titles. There were a few she'd read, and none that interested her.

A knock sounded on the door just as she was about to grab her bag. Alluna wondered how many times she'd heard that sound – a fist against wood – in the past week. Her mother had never knocked. "Come in."

The door swung open and a dark haired woman strutted in. She wore a peach-colored sweater-dress that reached about mid-thigh. Black heeled boots reached her knees and glittery earrings dangled from her earlobes. When her gaze met Alluna's she let out a squeal. "Oh, she's the cutest thing I've ever seen! SO fresh and youthful!" She clasped her hands together and brought them to her face.

Aizawa, who stood at the doorway with his arms full of bags, sighed. "Calm down Nemuri. Let the girl breathe." He turned to Alluna, who had taken a step back. "This is Kayama Nemuri, one of my colleagues. She went clothes shopping for you." Alluna blinked when he muttered something about regretting asking.

Alluna bowed, thanking Kayama for the clothes.

Kayama smiled in return. "You're very welcome, Darling." She took a ruffly blue dress out of the bag and held it up to the younger girl. "This'll look great on you."

Alluna's hands crept to her scarf. Aizawa noticed the gesture and nodded reassuringly at the younger girl. "Don't worry. They're not all like this," he glared dryly at Kayama's back, "I made sure of it."

Alluna fidgeted with her scarf, watching with apprehension as Kayama flung open the closet and started pulling out clothes from the bags she placed on the bed. Alluna and Aizawa walked over, peering over the crazy woman's shoulders. Aizawa pointed to a dark blue cardigan that hung askew on the bed frame. "That looks nice."

"Doesn't it?" Kayama agreed. She picked it up and held it to Alluna's frame. "Try it on!"

Alluna hesitated. Her eyes met Aizawa's who stood a little ways behind. He smiled at her. Kayama offered the younger girl a t-shirt and some jeans to wear underneath, and five minutes later Alluna emerged from the bathroom in her new outfit.

The navy blue button-up cardigan had a V-shaped dip to reveal a white t-shirt with horizontal black stripes. Under her top, she wore blue jeans that actually reached her ankles, and the black sneakers that Aizawa had bought her. It was a simple outfit, but it was new and it fit her — not too big or too small — wholly unlike what Alluna used to wear.

She thought she liked it.

She'd been reusing the same few outfits for years, and finally, she had a new one.

Maybe it symbolized a new start?

~~~

1634 words 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 32.2K 60
In which Daniel Ricciardo accidentally adds a stranger into his F1 group chat instead of Carlos Sainz.
1.7M 63K 43
" Wtf is wrong with you, can't you sleep peacefully " " I-Its pain..ning d-down there, I can't...s-sleep " " JUST SLEEP QUIETLY & LET ME ALSO SLEEP...
1.5M 35K 60
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that. -Completed-
753K 20.4K 76
မင်းဟာ လူသားတွေကိုကယ်တင်နေတဲ့ဆရာဝန်မလေးပေမယ့်ကိုယ့်အတွက်တော့ အချစ်တွေကုသပေးမယ့် အချစ်ဒေါက်တာမလေးပါ..... #စဝ်ခ...