Worth the Risk

By KateRavenaw

August & Colin | WRU series | book 1 We take risks. We make mistakes. We lie. We love. We hurt. We lose total... More

Author's note
Character aesthetics
Playlist
Dedication
Prologue
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty-one
Chapter twenty-two
Chapter twenty-three
Chapter twenty-four
Chapter twenty-five
Chapter twenty-six
Chapter twenty-seven
Chapter twenty-eight
Chapter twenty-nine
Chapter thirty
Chapter thirty-one
Chapter thirty-two
Chapter thirty-three
Chapter thirty-four
Chapter thirty-five
Chapter thirty-six
Chapter thirty-seven
Chapter thirty-eight
Chapter forty
Chapter forty-one
Chapter forty-two
Chapter forty-three
Chapter forty-four
Chapter forty-five
Chapter forty-six
Chapter forty-seven
Chapter forty-eight
Chapter forty-nine
Chapter fifty
Chapter fifty-one
Chapter fifty-two
Chapter fifty-three
Chapter fifty-four
Epilogue
Bonus: relationship aesthetics

Chapter thirty-nine

11K 279 40
By KateRavenaw

My skin is on fire. My breath is unsteady. My heart is pounding because her hands are all over me and her lips only make me yearn for more.

I spin us around and push her against the wall. My hands sneak under her dress and I give her ass cheeks a light squeeze, earning a satisfied sigh in response. Her arms lock around my neck and pull me down harder as she deepens the kiss. My hands travel to her thighs and as I pull her up, she immediately swings her legs around my waist. I press her spine against the wall again and as I rock my hips against hers our moans clash together. Her fingers roam through my hair, slightly pulling it as she sucks on my lower lip causing my fingertips to dig into her skin. I break away before I cover the skin beneath her jawline with kisses. Every wet peck and teasing bite I give her is rewarded by a breathy sigh of pleasure. Every single one driving me more insane. Every single one more addicting.

I kiss my way down her neck as I curl the tip of my finger around the hem of her dress following it from her shoulder down to her cleavage at an unhurried pace, savoring every second. Inch by inch I move lower. Inch by inch her thighs clamp harder around my waist matching the need that's burning inside of me.

She tilts my head, bringing my lips back to hers as I reach the button at the bottom of her cleavage. I snap it loose as I spin us a quarter and lay her down on my desk. A few loose papers crush under her body but I couldn't care less about them as I'm more focused on devouring her lips with mine than on saving my summaries.

I scrape my teeth over her bottom lip as I slowly let my fingertips push aside her dress and bra. My thumb circles teasingly slow around her nipple before I leave a path of kisses on her skin from her lips down her jawline to her breast. I flick my tongue over her puckered nipple and she arcs her back, begging for more than my teasing touch. I smile against her skin before I answer her silent request by taking one hard bud in my mouth and rolling the other between my fingers.

She clamps her legs around me trying to pull my hips closer to hers and for a second I give in by slowly rocking the bulge in my pants against her core. Her breathy whimper hums through my room and I consider the sound my new favorite lullaby.

My hands move to the bow holding together her dress and I blindly start to fumble with it. I scrape my teeth over her nipple before I free it to glance down at the double knot I can't seem to open. I place a gentle kiss beneath her earlobe before I playfully bite the spot.

"I fucking love this dress on you but right now I hate it even more," I mumble against her skin.

"I thought you were quite handy." I don't even have to catch a glimpse of her face to know there's a grin plastered on her lips.

"I'm trying to be delicate," I respond in defense of her mocking comment.

Her fingers slide deeper into my hair as she presses my hips closer to hers with her legs. "I don't want you to be delicate." Her hot whisper breathes life into a thousand fantasies of how I can obey her request.

"Don't tempt me to rip it from your body because that would be a waste of a beautiful dress." For a second my fingers tingle to use brute force to undress her if only to see her reaction. Instead, I keep fidgeting with the bow in an attempt to open it.

"I dare you."

I lean back to take a look at her and raise my eyebrows. She playfully copies the movement in response. "Tell me you don't love this dress and I will."

"I don't love this dress," she quickly answers.

A grin spreads across my face before I lean down to hastily plant a kiss on her lips. "Liar."

She rolls her eyes but her smile breaks through. "Does it matter?"

I kiss the corner of her mouth. "I'm trying to keep you from making impulsive decisions I know you'll regret."

She's worn this dress to work more times than I can count on one hand in a matter of 4 weeks which is the perfect indication of how much she loves wearing the polka-dot red dress. If I rip it now in a moment of heat she'll sulk over it later.

It's one of the reasons why I grab her hands and pull her to sit to give my full attention to untying her dress instead of tearing apart the bow.

Another is time. A pause. A moment of clarity in between heated kisses to give her space to think and reevaluate her choice.

A pause to allow her to process what might be one of her impulsive decisions.

A pause to slow us down so I can process my impulsive decision to throw my heart into the unknown.

And fuck, I'd lie if I'd say it isn't scary.

"Why are you so thoughtful?"

Perhaps her question was meant to be a mocking tease but the answer floating out of my mouth feels nothing more than sincere. "Because I care."

I care about you.

My eyes land on hers and even though my heart is still beating in overdrive, everything slows down. The hungry lust from before morphs into a sizzling passion.

Her bow finally comes loose and my fingers breeze over her skin as they follow the hem of her dress from her waist where the bow used to be up to her neck. I push the fabric over her shoulders, and down her arms until it falls in a pool around her on my desk.

Her fingers clasp around my shirt and I let her pull it over my head. She lets my shirt slowly slip out of her hands not breaking eye contact for one second.

I brush a few locks off her shoulder and dip down to plant a soft kiss on her bare skin as I pull aside one of her bra straps. I move to her other shoulder and do the same before I unclasp her bra and slide it away from her body. A timid sigh escapes her lips as she carefully tilts her head to the side to give me more access and my lips graze over her skin to her earlobe before I plant another kiss right under it.

"You're fucking sexy, Ari," I whisper before playfully biting her earlobe. My hand slips down and cups one of her perky breasts. As it perfectly rests in the palm of my hand, my thumb brushes lightly over the darker red skin.

She sneaks her fingers around my belt, pulling me closer as she nudges her nose against mine before hovering her lips over mine. "This pace is killing me."

I grin at her announcement. "Not a fan of taking things slow?"

"Are you?" She asks, her eyebrows raised.

My smirk widens. "I like torturing you to the extent where you beg."

"I won't beg," she scoffs.

My hand slides into her hair and I slightly pull on it, tilting her head back. I plant my lips under her jawline, scrape my teeth over her skin, and the moment she lets her body lean into my hold and sighs, I stop and grant her a mischievous smile. "Are you sure about that?"

She chuckles softly. "Are you sure you won't be the one begging?"

"It's 1-0 for me, miss I-don't-like-this-slow-pace."

Instead of answering, she slams her lips on mine and pulls me closer by grabbing my belt. She immediately unbuckles it, opens my pants, and slides her hand in, slowly stroking my cock. My nostrils flare, my jaws lock and I deeply inhale.

"Fuck," I groan in her mouth. I feel her grin against my lips and kiss her harder in response. She picks up the speed and my hips automatically move in sync with her hand. I dig my fingers into her thigh as the others roam through her hair. Her hard nipples press against my chest, teasing me, giving me glimpses of how it would feel to have her pressed up against me fully naked. How it would feel to have her pressed up against the wall while I slowly enter her. How it would feel to have her small perky breasts bounce up and down against my chest as I fuck her on my desk.

She bites my lip, dragging it with her as she leans away from the kiss. My mouth follows her as if it has no other purpose than to reconnect with hers. My breaths turn shallow in agony as she slows the pace again. Waves of heat rush through my veins and sparks of pleasure roar through my body, fueled by my imagination of what I could do to her but more so by the image of her in front of me, sitting half naked on my desk, her bare beauty on display.

Every single one of her curves and freckles invites me to explore her body. Her eyes dare me to devour her and her torturously slow strokes challenge me to beg her for more.

I want nothing else than more. More of her. I want to taste her, feel her, be inside of her.

Fuck, I want her in every way possible.

I lean in, yet she leans back avoiding contact, and when I groan and tug her even closer by her legs to relieve some of my longing, the corner of her mouth curls into a grin. "I consider that as a beg, Mr. Donovan." She softly kisses my lips, granting me a sweet smile as she removes her hands from my boxer briefs. She grabs the waistband of my pants, pushes it down, and doesn't even look when it falls to the ground. I step out of it and kick it aside before taking a step closer. I grab her knees and lock her legs back around my waist.

"This game is quite infuriating."

"Is it?" I can hear the teasing in the sweetness of her voice. "I find it quite fun actually."

Without a warning, I pick her up from my desk, walk towards my bed, crawl onto it and let us fall on it in one piece. The moment her spine touches the mattress, I press my lips down on hers. I rhythmically rock my hips against hers and get breathy sighs that spin my head in response.

I break away and trail a path of kisses down her body, from time to time stopping to appreciate a certain part of her more. My fingertips roam her skin before locking around the waistband of her lace panties. I place a gentle kiss on the border between fabric and skin and then another on the stretchmarks on the inside of her thigh. My lips slowly graze over her skin and panties to the other side to do the same there.

I look up from in between her legs and when she rocks her hips, I slide her underwear down. I throw it on the ground before focusing my mouth back on her thighs. With every kiss, her legs fall more open until she's laying fully spread before me.

It's fucking beautiful.

"Pace," she mumbles with a sigh.

I grin at her desperate beg. I hover over her clit, letting my hot breaths tease her sensitive skin even more. "How are you liking this game now?"

Her chuckles fill the space between us before she tells me off. "Shut u-."

I cover her clit without warning and suck on it whilst dragging my tongue over it. Her words are cut off by a moan and her hand flies to her mouth to prevent the sound from coming out. I lock my arms around her upper thighs to prevent her hips from buckling off my bed as I experiment with pressure and tempo until she rolls her eyes back and clasps my bedsheets. When I push two fingers in, my name rolls off her tongue out of sheer pleasure.

The sound is a nightmare disguised as a daydream because I know I will never be able to hear my name again without yearning for this sound. For her.

With each thrust of my fingers, she crunches the sheets harder between her palms and arcs her back even further. Her panting becomes quicker until the moment her breathing halts for a second as her orgasm comes crashing down on her. She shudders underneath me and I slow down, not stopping until I feel her muscles relax.

She lazily opens her eyes to meet my gaze and as I pull my fingers out and bring them to my mouth to lick them dry, her irises widen with hunger.

My heart is hammering in my chest as she threads her fingers through my hair, slightly tugging it to bring me back up.

"You're addicting, Ari," I mutter against her lips before she kisses me leisurely and deeply. She sucks on my lower lip and I groan into her mouth. Her leg locks around my waist, pressing me down and I rock my hips against hers, stroking my erection over her sensitive skin.

I trail her body down, stopping at her breasts and clit to appreciate them a little more before crawling off the bed and walking over to my nightstand to grab a condom. I remove my boxer briefs, roll it on, and when I look up, I catch her staring at me. Her eyes big and radiant, her hair already a little messy, her cheeks rosy and a teasing smile tugging her lips.

God, she's beautiful.

I crawl on top of her, keeping our gazes locked. She cups my face and gently kisses me.

"Are you sure?" She whispers, afraid I might bail and push her away like I tried the last few weeks. After all these years she still doesn't realize that I can't. No matter how hard I try, I can't keep my mind from drifting off, diving into memories of her. I can't keep myself from wanting her. I can't keep myself away from her.

She doesn't realize that I don't want to resist it anymore.

"Are you sure?" I return the question, showing her a glimpse of the fear that still lives deep down inside of me.

I might never have been good at resisting her but she was excellent at shutting me out. Maybe she still is but I push the feeling down as I take her in.

My heart is pounding and it flips when she smiles at me. She nods before she pulls me down to kiss me again. She spreads her legs and sucks in a little breath as my tip teases her entrance. I slide in carefully until there's nothing left between us but the heated mixture of our heavy breaths. I start to move at the same unhurried pace and her hands skim over my chest to my lower back where her fingers squeeze my hips in response.

"Don't be delicate. I want you too bad for a slow fuck right now." Her words are fuel to the fire inside of me, it sets everything aflame until nothing remains but the ashes of my composure.

My hand glides down and locks behind her knee, bringing it higher as I harshly thrust into her. A soft whimper warms my lips, causing me to pick up the pace to chase her sounds.

She digs her nails into my back and bites her lip to hold in her moans that come out as heavy sighs. I lean down to nudge her nose and the second she lets go of her lip a moan flies through the room. I catch the second one as I devour her lips with mine. Her heels dig into my back holding me close, her fingers scrape over my scalp as she sucks on my lower lip, making me groan in her mouth and kiss her harsher. She grinds her hips, changing the angle slightly and my eyes roll back as a wave of pleasure rushes through me.

"Fuck, you feel so good," I rasp against her skin as I tongue my way down her jawline before I let my forehead rest in the crook of her neck. I suck on her skin as I switch the fast pace to slow deep thrusts, making her gasp and arc her neck as her eyes flutter shut.

"Oh, shit," she whispers. I'm relishing in this moment of having her under me, moaning my name as I dive deep into her, driving her slowly over the edge of pleasure.

She pushes me back, spins us around, and straddles me before she slams down on my body.

Holy shit.

Her head falls back, her breasts are bouncing to the rhythm of her riding me and the sight alone makes me spiral. I grab her hips, guiding her up and down. My thumb circles her clit and her mouth falls open slightly.

"Faster," she whispers and I follow her instructions. "Yes, like that. Fuck, yes, like that." Her moans waltz through my room with my heavy breathing and the sound of our bodies coming together as their partner. The sight of her is mesmerizing. It's hot. It's fucking sexy.

I push myself upright, led by the desperate need to have her closer. I clamp my arm around her waist, pulling her flush against me as I keep guiding her body up and down. I tangle my fingers in her hair and snatch her closer before slamming my mouth on hers in a messy kiss. Her arms swing around my neck and my hand moves from her hair to her ass cheek, squeezing it with every thrust.

I slowly lay back down, bringing her with me before I lift her hips and slam into her at a fast tempo. Her hands curl around my headboard for support as her eyes roll back.

"Oh, God," she gasps. One hand drops to my chest and her fingers press harshly into my pec. With every thrust, her mouth falls more agape and her fingers dig harder into my skin.

We're both panting, sweating, and losing all sense of reality in our perfect bubble of this moment.

"Colin, I'm close," she pants. My own orgasm is tingling to burst through but I push it down, not wanting to come before she loses all sense in the satisfaction of her orgasm.

My muscles are burning but her body on mine feels too good to stop. Her breathing quickens, her body tenses and she bites her lower lip, pressing her mouth closed as she dangles on the cliff of pleasure. She sucks in a breath and her mouth falls open. Breathy gasps rush between us as her body shudders with pleasure and the sight of her coming drives me over the edge. I curse, squeezing my eyes shut as my body shakes with hers. I keep diving deep inside of her as a mixture of exhaustion and euphoria slowly wrecks my body. She leans forward, resting her body against mine, still grinding her hips, yet slowing our pace.

She places a soft kiss on my sternum, sending hot shivers to my stomach, willing it to backflip into oblivion. She rests her cheek against my chest and my fingertips breeze up and down over her damp spine as we both try to calm down our breathing.

After a couple of moments, she glances up and a grin dances on her reddened lips as she rakes her fingers through my hair. "You look a little wrecked."

I clasp her chin between my fingers and guide her mouth to mine not being able to hold back a matching smirk as I give her a soft peck. "You wreck me in the best way possible, Ari."

After I've disposed of the condom, I crawl back into bed and lift my arm for her to snuggle under. She tangles her legs in mine, rests her head in the crook of my neck, and starts to draw pictures on my chest. I listen to her breathing and focus on how her fingertips swing over my skin in a slow dance as my mind wanders off to how I got here with her in my arms.

"How did you get here?" I blurt the question that suddenly pops up in my thought process. "I mean, my sister's car was still here when I arrived."

"I cycled."

"Alone?"

"No, Lucie rode with me. She drove back home with Brooke's car and told me to text her if I needed her to pick me up." She tilts her head and when I glance down to meet her gaze, I'm greeted by a sly grin. "I obviously texted her a couple of minutes ago."

"Perfect timing. I was just about to roll you out of this bed," I deadpan, reading into her sarcasm.

I feel her mouth drop open as she gasps. She turns her head and moves back a little so she can look me in the eyes when she narrows hers. "You wouldn't."

I lean down, and plant a kiss on the tip of her nose before whispering: "Don't tempt me."

She crunches her nose, nudging it against mine to show me she'd fight back if I'd try. Honestly, I'd like to witness that happening.

Her battle face would be cute instead of frightening because her full rosy cheeks make her face appear humble and welcome, whatever expression it holds. However, her combat skills would be more than dangerous. It would be deceiving because I'd approach her, wanting to smother her lips with mine, and then with one swift movement, she'd floor me. She's sneaky like that.

"What?"

"Nothing." I stare down at her, happiness pulling at my lips. Fuck, I can't stop smiling. I must look ridiculous. I turn my head away to hide it whilst pulling her even closer before I rest my chin on her head. Her grip on me tightens as she nuzzles her nose in my neck and I sigh in contentment as her small gesture fills my chest with a welcoming warmth.

"There's a game next Friday," I begin haphazardly and when my own words sink into my conscious, a sudden nervousness sizzles through my body. "And I don't know, I thought maybe you'd want to come? It's not- I mean- if you don't want to-"

"Ew, no," she answers, interrupting my stammering.

My heart stops. I think my breathing stops too.

"Why would I want to go to a soccer game to watch a handsome loser prevent some other losers from scoring? Especially if it's someone named Colin. Ew, no way."

With every word she pronounces, I bite harder on my lip to hold back the smile from forming. I glance down at her with narrowed eyes as I grab her waist, playfully squeezing it. "Now, I'm really going to roll you off this bed."

She giggles as she pulls my hand away from her waist and interlocks our fingers to prevent me from tickling her again. With a quick kiss, she apologizes. "I'd love to come to your game."

After she writes down the details of my game in her notes app under the list of 'IMPORTANT ' and ensures me she'll write it in her agenda once she's home, we drift off tangled in each other embrace.

***

I groan as the sound of an alarm tears me away from my dreams, yet I don't open my eyes. Instead, I blindly pull my pillow over my head to drown out the sound and my tiredness immediately snatches me back to sleep.

I don't know how long I've been asleep before the soft clicking sound of my door drags me out of my sleeping state.

I groan, deeply hating the fact I'm a light sleeper. I remove my head from under my pillow and roll over, stretching my arm to pull August's warmth against me. However, I meet nothing but my empty bed.

I wait for a second as panic floods my rational thinking.

I clutch my sheets not daring to open my eyes and face reality.

She didn't leave. She promised. Everything about her confession promised me she wouldn't.

Those are the statements I use to argue my fears as I decide to trust her. To believe her and not the past.

I squeeze my eyes open and stare at an empty pillow. I lift my head to check the bedside table on her side but her phone is gone.

Her side.

One night and my heart already granted her a side in my bed.

My heart needs to calm the fuck down.

I grumble into my pillow before I roll onto my back and push myself to sit. A few strips of early morning sunlight illuminate my room. A room that lacks the presence of her dress, her bra, and her underwear.

My heart is pounding. Caving in. She promised. She made a promise. All her words. All-

I stop myself from spiraling down as I bite back my fear. She made a promise. I trust her. I believe her.

I reach for my phone and send her a quick text.

Me - Where are you?

Seconds feel like days. I can feel my heartbeat in the back of my throat and try to swallow the feeling away. This is fucking torture. The irony is that I'm doing this to myself. I'm getting in my own head. She wouldn't leave without a warning. Not after last night.

Right? Right.

She told me she's changed. The situation has changed. Everything has.

It's been three years and I curse the fear created that summer for ruining this moment.

I trust her more than my fear. I have to if I want to leave our past behind us. But fuck, I'd lie if I'd say I'm not scared.

August - Your bathroom. I stole a couple of your towels to shower if that's okay?

I let myself fall back on my bed and cover my eyes with my arm as relief washes over me. This girl is going to be the death of me. I spend one night with her and she already has my heart beating in her hands. However, the longer I'm thinking about it the more my uncertainty grows about it ever being not in her possession.

The buzzing feeling in my hands makes me lift my arm from my face and squint my eyes open.

August – Join me?

August's text is the first thing I see on my screen before my gaze darts to the digital clock on display right above it.

Me – It's 6.15 am

August - We could go back to bed after

Her reply doesn't answer the question my text wanted to imply, which is the why behind her being up this early but it does bring a grin to my face. When I don't reply fast enough to her liking I receive another text.

August – I'm locking the door in 30 sec

I've sprinted out of bed a couple of times before when I subconsciously turned off my alarm clock and ended up being almost too late for practice. However, I can say with certainty I've never jumped out of bed this fast.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 57 27
♡ Weekly Chapter Releases ♡ My wedding day. The happiest day of my life, right? Wrong. I made it this far so why is it so hard to force these words o...
8.6K 288 51
We all remember that first love. The one who we fell head over heels in love with who also destroyed us. When Emily meets Jay on her first day at the...
844K 19.6K 80
"You don't like it rough?" he asks me. Oh, okay, I smirk back at him, two can play this game. "I like it... but only during sex, " I say to him wat...
3.9K 164 68
So who will it be for this hopelessly unromantic girl? The brooding best friend? Or the young and unquestionably attractive substitute teacher? They...