The Complication

By CharlieFenwick

"Am I the 'complication'?" Data asked. Following the events on Ligon II, Data struggles to reconcile the disc... More

The Complication
The Variable
The Regulations
The Holodeck
Blue Skies
Moonbeam
The Cherry
Indubitably
Promise Me
Three Words
The Hunt
Speckle
The Truth
Memories
The Storm
Justice
The Heist
Home
Questions
Family
Nine Decks or Ninety-Thousand Lightyears
The Game
In The Shadow Of The Moon
The Hearing Part Two
The Hearing Part Three
If You Give a Tribble a Piece of Grain
The Ruling
Angel One
Angel One: Part Two
The Romulan Incident
From Romulus With Love
Time In A Bottle
Keep A Cool Head
Down the Rabbit Hole
When It Rains, It Shines
Dissonance and Resolution
The Unknown
Parents
The Reunion
The Little Things
And Miles to Go Before I Sleep
Why?
The Sweet Taste of Chaos
Train Ride
The Finite Nature
The Command Conference
The Distraction
The Ghost Ship
The Battle Within
The Big Goodbye
Datalore - Part One
Datalore - Part Two
Hope Lies In Dreams
Hollow Pursuits
The Void
Beneath the Surface
What Lurks Below
The Joke's On Me
The Joker Is Wild
Too Short a Season
The Priority
All Things Bright and Beautiful
Life As We Know It
All That Glitters
Try A Little Tenderness
The Appendix
Blast From The Past
The Petty Bickering
Bit of Sunshine
Requiem For a Butterfly
Keep the Home Fires Burning
The Cold Truth
The Shield
With Great Power...
Shadow
Mummy Dearest
All Kinds of Weather
Bosom Buddies
Coming of Age
The Uncertainty Principle
The Secrets We Keep
Heart of Glory
Honour Amongst Friends
Arsenal of Freedom
Diabolus ex Machina
The Workbench of Prometheus
Evermore
Sucker Punch
Conquest
As Luck Would Have It
Fortune Favours the Bold
Nature Boy
Stardust
Normal Parameters
Drop the Shields
In the Club
The Late Lieutenant La Forge
Captain, Simple Tailor, Romulan Spy
When Time Runs Out
Two Roads Diverged
Linger On Your Pale Blue Eyes
The Heart Thief
One Minute to Midnight
Blackstar
The Road Not Taken
No Win Scenario
Wander
Untamed
Promises Made...
... Promises Kept
Interlude in the Neutral Zone
Just In Time
Long Before You Miss Me
Softly as I Leave You
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
Old Friends, New Enemies
Countdown

The Hearing Part One

24 4 43
By CharlieFenwick

Author's Note: Thank you for your continued support with this series. All of your reviews, likes, kudos, and messages are wonderful!

Content Warning: This chapter is part one of the disciplinary hearing involving Data and Tasha's relationship. There will be mentions of Walsh's harassment. There are also some references to events that occurred in the companion piece "The Complication – Missing Scenes." I want to give my friend Geri (AKA Lady_Lore) a big thank you for her help and creative ideas with this!

This story is AU. Please suspend your disbelief re: canon for a fun wee character cameo in this instalment. 

You will notice some differences between these hearings and the one canon gave us in "Measure of A Man." If you recall that hearing took place on a starbase where the JAG office was newly established and Captain Louvois "had no staff except a terrified Ensign." Therefore, she had to rely on the Enterprise crew to fulfil the other primary roles.

Building from that, I imagine that an established office would have staff as well as panels to conduct these hearings rather than the "skeleton crew" we saw in that episode.

To make clear, this is not "Measure of A Man." That will be a separate instalment later in the series. However, bear in mind that this hearing will have significant repercussions re: Data's trial later.

As always, if you like my works or want to stay up to date with art, comics, or just like chatting about the fandom you can like/follow at charliefenwick.com or @TheTartanTart on Twitter.

-----------

Captain's log, stardate 41592.3. We arrived at Starbase 118 in the wee hours of the morning where Second Officer Lieutenant Commander Data and Security Chief Lieutenant Tasha Yar are due to appear at a disciplinary hearing.

I fear this hearing is nothing more than a retaliatory façade, an act of vengeance for running afoul of an Ensign with family in high places. It's nepotism at its finest and I fear the result could mean losing one – or both – of my officers.

In the time I have known them, both Commander Data and Lieutenant Yar have proven themselves as capable and dedicated crewmen and I will be sorry to see either of them go. I can find no evidence they have violated the spirit of Regulation 1138. However, I cannot know if the disciplinary panel will share my view. Unfortunately, Regulation 1138 is notorious for being the one Starfleet regulation most open to interpretation.

-----------

Tasha smoothed the collar on her dress uniform in front of the mirror and took in her appearance.

Data came up behind her and kissed her cheek.

"That is the seventeenth time you've adjusted your collar in the last hour," Data commented.

He wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Furthermore, I do not believe that the appearance of your collar will be a factor in the decision of the panel," Data advised.

Tasha turned to face him.

"Whatever happens, I love you," she said before pulling him close.

-----------

Forty minutes later, they set off from Data's quarters to meet Captain Picard and Commander Riker in the transporter room.

Tasha's stomach was queasy.

Data had insisted she try to eat something. She'd nibbled mindlessly at a dry piece of toast but hadn't been in the mood to eat anything.

She was too anxious.

As soon as they stepped into the transporter room, Chief O'Brien was at the console.

"Give 'em hell, T," he said with a nod.

Tasha gave him a weak smile in return.

She had given Captain Picard her word that she was going to push forward with her charges against Ensign Walsh.

But at that moment, she felt uncertain and small.

The four officers dematerialised before re-emerging a moment later in the transporter room of Starbase 118.

They were greeted by a representative from Starfleet's JAG office and escorted to the office of legal affairs where the hearing would take place.

In a frustrating turn of events, Admiral Walsh had managed to force the hearing regarding Data and Tasha's alleged violation of Regulation 1138 before the hearing regarding Ensign Walsh's behaviour.

They were scheduled to begin at 09:00 hours the first day, while the hearing for Ensign Walsh was not slated to begin for another twenty-four hours.

There was no telling how long the proceedings would take.

When they reached the office, they were greeted by the JAG officer that they had communicated with over the last two weeks.

"Good morning," he said as he extended his hand to Captain Picard. "I'm Commander Elliot and I'll be representing the two of you at the hearing."

Across the room, a short man with dark hair stepped through a doorway and the grimace on Commander Elliot's face didn't go unnoticed.

"That's Commander Cole," Elliot explained. "He'll be representing Starfleet's case against you."

Elliot leaned in close.

"He's also one of Admiral Walsh's men," Elliot whispered. "They've worked together for years."

Data and Tasha exchanged a dark look.

"We've got about an hour before the hearing is set to begin. Why don't we step into my office and walk through what's going to happen," Elliot offered as he showed them down the corridor.

-----------

Sitting in Commander Elliot's office, everyone began to relax. Elliot stepped over to the viewscreen and activated the presentation he had prepared for them.

Commander Elliot walked them through the hearing process. They would both be present along with Elliot and his staffers. As Captain and First Officer, Jean-Luc Picard and Commander Riker were required to be present.

He explained the list of witnesses – mostly Enterprise personnel and a handful of legal experts. There was no telling how long the proceedings would take.

Elliot explained that the hearing would be decided by a three-person panel.

"This is Captain Ian Crozier," Elliot informed them as he pointed to the man on the screen.

He was an older gentleman with large, rounded glasses.

Elliot explained to them that Captain Crozier was a long-time magistrate within the JAG office. He was known for his rather grey interpretation of Starfleet regulations – often ruling in favour of giving defendants another chance rather than a punishment. Crozier was regarded as one of the most lenient magistrates on judicial matters. Furthermore, he'd been a frequent critic of Regulation 1138 over the years.

"That's welcome news," Riker commented.

"The second panellist is Counsellor T'Pyxis," Elliot explained.

T'Pyxis was a Vulcan legal scholar and was widely regarded for her interpretation of Starfleet regulations. She was considered to be fair-minded and had an exceptional judicial temperament. Elliot felt it was likely that T'Pyxis would rule in their favour based on the lack of evidence.

"However, Counsellor T'Pyxis has made clear in her legal scholarship that she does not believe human emotional capacity is strong enough to work side-by-side in situations with established relationships," Elliot warned them. "It is vital that we focus on their lack of evidence."

"I am not a human," Data stated simply.

Elliot nodded.

"And that will certainly work in our favour with the Counsellor," Elliot acknowledged.

He clicked his PADD to bring up the next slide.

"This is Captain Bradbury," Elliot said darkly.

"Captain Prescott Bradbury?" Captain Picard asked with a sense of trepidation.

Commander Elliot nodded.

Captain Picard knew Bradbury well. He had been one of the magistrates that had presided over his court martial hearing following the loss of the USS Stargazer. Jean-Luc recalled Bradbury was a callous, hard-to-please man. He'd been ready to throw the book at Picard nine years earlier.

"You know him, sir?" Data inquired.

"Unfortunately, we have crossed paths," Picard replied. "You should be aware, he's a man that sees the law as black and white. He also behaves as if he is on a personal crusade to root out what he considers to be immoral behaviour."

Data and Tasha exchanged a dark glance.

"Captain Bradbury will be chairing the hearing," Elliot informed them. "I'll tell you privately, he's a misogynist. He's xenophobic and has an extreme prejudice against Starfleet's increased reliance on technology."

Data got the hint.

Bradbury would consider Data's sentience something to fear.

And it would undoubtedly influence his decision.

"You should also know that Prescott Bradbury is Admiral Walsh's brother-in-law," Elliot added. "He's married to the Admiral's sister Livinia."

"That is unacceptable," Picard said simply.

Commander Elliot shifted uncomfortably.

"I filed an objection with the head office. It was rejected," Elliot informed them. "My appeal was denied."

"Then we shall have to 'bring our A game' as they say," Data said in an effort to lift everyone's spirits.

Commander Elliot grinned.

He had never met Commander Data in person, but he'd certainly heard of Starfleet's one-of-a-kind android. After being assigned the case, Elliot had read nearly everything he could on the strange sentient Android.

Since meeting the Commander, Elliot couldn't hide his astonishment.

They were certainly an unconventional couple, but Elliot was glad to be representing them.

"The hearing is set to begin in about thirty minutes," Elliot explained. "Why don't you get comfortable or take a short walk and then we'll meet back in the chambers."

-----------

Data and Tasha left Elliot's office feeling more confident than when they had entered. When they reached the main entrance to the JAG office they found it was now crowded with crew from the ship. Deanna and Beverly were chatting in the corner. Wesley and Geordi waved enthusiastically when they emerged. Miles and Keiko were sitting on a bench. Worf and Ensign Jeffords were also present.

To Tasha's surprise, Lieutenant Oliver Adams was also waiting in the entrance hall.

They locked eyes and made a beeline for her.

"Lieutenant, Commander," he said as he greeted them.

"Lieutenant Adams," Tasha replied before adding. "What are you doing here?"

It had been months since she had first met the young Lieutenant. He'd transferred over from the USS Dauntless. His first day aboard the Enterprise, he'd met – and quickly been repulsed by – Ensign Walsh and the Beta shift boys.

Adams had overheard one of Walsh's schemes and been quick to locate and warn Tasha.

He was a sweet guy and had reminded her of the late Alfie O'Connor. He'd also had the unfortunate luck of meeting her at one of her lowest points following the polywater incident.

It was a few weeks before Data and Tasha had gotten together, and she had been feeling particularly lonely. At that time, Tasha had also been desperately seeking some kind of distraction from the Lieutenant Commander that she felt was strictly off limits.

He'd been charming and kind. Tasha still felt guilty about spending the night with him like that. Tasha had told him she didn't get involved in relationships – only to turn around and begin one with Data shortly thereafter.

But Adams had understood. He'd never questioned her motivations and had been keen to fill her request for privacy.

His work as a third shift nurse meant they rarely saw one another – only a handful of times – and always in their respective roles.

"I wanted to talk to you about that," Adams said. "I've been called as a witness."

Tasha's heart sank.

"Lieutenant, Tasha," Adams said honestly. "I never told anyone about us. But I think we can both suss out what's going on here."

Elliot had warned her that the Walsh's may try to ruin her image in an effort to further turn Captain Bradbury against her.

It was a character assassination in its worst, lowest form.

Tasha's confidence began to slip.

"I got the notice this morning," Adams went on. "Otherwise, I would have reached out sooner."

"I'm so sorry," Tasha said apologetically. "I never meant to drag you into something like this."

Adams shook his head.

"Don't be. This isn't your fault. As I said that night, these guys like Walsh aren't fit to be in Starfleet. They're disgusting," Adams replied. "And I'll be more than happy to tell that panel exactly what kind of men they are. And what they did to you."

Data looked down at Tasha.

She'd never told him about that incident. It had been before they'd gotten together. It wasn't that she felt the need to hide it from him – it just wasn't something that had come up.

There had been so many instances with Walsh, it had gotten lost among all the situations that had occurred.

"Tasha?" Data asked.

"I apologise," Adams said, sensing he'd just revealed something Data was unaware of. "I didn't mean to-"

"It's quite alright," Tasha assured him. "Thank you. I mean that."

Oliver nodded in understanding.

"Do you want to take a walk?" Tasha asked Data.

Data nodded and the two set off out into the Starbase.

"Commander, I'll be back before the start of the hearing," Captain Picard said strangely. "But I need to see to something first."

Commander Riker watched as Captain Picard quickly exited the office.

"He's worried," Deanna said as she came up next to Will.

"Aren't you?" Riker asked in response.

-----------

Data and Tasha stepped out onto the promenade and found a secluded corner with a window overlooking the docking bays on the starboard side of the station.

"It was months before we got together," Tasha told Data. "Walsh was drunk. He followed me out of Ten Forward. Came at me in the turbolift."

Data knew they were in a semi-public location. He knew they had been advised not to display affection.

But he couldn't help it.

He pulled her close.

"It's fine. I threatened to break his hand if he ever did it again," Tasha confessed. "I know it wasn't professional. But I just sort of lost control."

Data didn't say anything. He wanted to give her the time to collect her thoughts.

"I threw him in the brig for forty-eight hours," Tasha went on. "Although the actual sealed report details the specifics, the charge was public drunkenness."

She looked away, out the window.

"I should have charged him for assault then and there," she said bitterly.

If she had known at that time that things would have escalated in the manner they had – she would have.

Data and Tasha broke apart at the sound of someone slowly applauding behind them.

"Such a convenient story," a low voice said. "Certainly strange how that comes up at a time like this."

The man didn't need to introduce himself.

It was evident this was Josiah Walsh. His uniform designated his rank to be that of a Starfleet Admiral and he carried the same snub nose as his grandson.

He looked over Data and moved his eyebrows in a way that signalled he was not impressed.

Next, he glanced up and down at Tasha.

"Well, there's no accounting for taste," he said, bearing the kind of expression that he had something unpleasant on his tongue.

"Is there something you require, Admiral?" Data asked coldly.

The two men stared at each other for a moment.

"It is typically frowned upon for someone in your position to approach the defendants before a hearing, is it not?" Data asked in a warning tone.

"Please leave," Tasha said firmly. "We would like to be left alone."

Admiral Walsh chuckled.

"Not as long as you and your talking toaster intend to ruin my grandson's career," Walsh snarled.

"He did that well enough on his own," Tasha replied.

Data shot her a warning look, pleading with her wordlessly to keep her temper in check.

It wouldn't do good to get themselves into any further trouble before the start of the hearing.

"Tasha," Data said softly. "Let us depart."

"No," she snapped. "I think the Admiral needs to leave, now."

"You should listen to your talking toaster," Walsh replied with a satisfied grin. "Before I add insubordination to the list of charges."

"I didn't hear an order, Admiral," Tasha retorted.

Data's nerves were on high alert now, afraid she had crossed a line.

"You're dismissed, Lieutenant," Admiral Walsh said in a low voice. "Now take your machine and your uncooperative attitude and be gone."

-----------

Not far from the JAG office, Captain Picard was waiting inside a small establishment known as "The Cure For What Ales You."

He'd slipped in a few minutes earlier to find his friend was already waiting.

It had been ages, and Jean-Luc knew this was the one person that would understand the severity of the situation with Captain Bradbury.

"You stood by me for that whole trial. Now, I'm worried about my crew," Jean-Luc explained. "I can't shake the feeling that if Bradbury is presiding, things won't end well."

Jean-Luc sighed and leaned back in his chair. He explained that this situation had left him shaken. The Captain informed his oldest friend about the sentient android he'd grown to love like a son and the bright, young Security Chief that was eerily like a twenty-something Jean-Luc Picard.

He walked her through the guilt he'd felt at initially being frustrated by their relationship, the difficulty of having placed both of them in dangerous situations, and his discomfort because of feelings it stirred up about his own complicated relationship with his Chief Medical Officer.

"They deserve a happy ending," Jean-Luc said sadly. "And I feel terrible, because there's a part of me that wants these charges dismissed for personal reasons."

"Because of Beverly?" his friend asked.

Jean-Luc didn't need to respond verbally. They both understood.

"I know we weren't planning to meet until after the hearing was finished," Jean-Luc went on. "But there is no telling how long it could take. Is there any way we could get together for dinner tonight?"

Captain Picard took a sip of his tea.

"I need your help," he admitted.

To his relief, they agreed to meet for dinner.

Captain Picard glanced at the time on the wall.

"Good heavens, I've got to get back," he said before leaving in a rush.

-----------

Captain Picard slipped into the hearing chambers moments after it had been called to order. He slid into the seat next to Commander Riker at a table next to Data, Tasha, and Commander Elliot.

Commander Cole was addressing the panel with his opening remarks.

"Starfleet's fraternisation policy is designed to protect the chain of command. It's an essential expectation for any senior officer. And when that policy is violated, it leads to a disruption of command," Commander Cole said. "It leads to dysfunction. It is harmful to the organisation. And it puts lives at risk."

Inside, Tasha felt like Commander Cole was laying it on pretty thick.

Their relationship certainly never placed anyone's lives at risk.

They'd been careful and, above all, discreet.

But Data interpreted Commander Cole's opening statement quite differently.

He'd already shared with Counsellor Troi in his sessions that he was concerned he had made choices that were impacted by his emotions – starting with his actions during the polywater incident.

"Starfleet is prepared to demonstrate that both Lieutenant Commander Data and Lieutenant Yar have failed their duty as officers placing numerous crewmen in danger because of their choice to knowingly engage in a prohibited relationship," Commander Cole stated.

Commander Elliot had expected this and was prepared.

He began his defence by walking the panel through the history of Regulation 1138 and the decades of Starfleet records pointing to the broadly accepted interpretation that the Regulation was rarely ever enforced.

"In the history of Starfleet, there are only two instances in which officers have ever been found guilty of violating this regulation," Elliot explained. "1138 is only ever enforced in a narrow set of parameters – and none of which apply to this hearing."

Commander Elliot straightened his posture before addressing the bench.

"Furthermore, I'd like to add that there is an alternative motivation for these charges," Commander Elliot added. "These charges are nothing more than an attempt to retaliate against Lieutenant Yar for detaining the grandson of a powerful Starfleet officer in her role as Security Chief. If the panel would permit me to submit as evidence-"

"Objection," Commander Cole said suddenly.

"Sustained," Captain Bradbury said quickly.

"Sir, there is a separate disciplinary hearing slated to begin tomorrow on charges against-" Elliot began to say but was cut off by Bradbury gavelling him down.

"Any hearing for other Starfleet personnel has no relation to this hearing," Bradbury ordered. "It has no bearing nor influence on these charges."

"Captain Bradbury, I would like more information about these other charges before making that determination," Counsellor T'Pyxis stated.

Captain Bradbury looked displeased.

"In my role as chairman of this hearing, I am not going to permit this," Bradbury ruled. "I have reviewed the evidence and found it is not germane to the charges."

It was their first strike.

Commander Elliot sat down, feeling dejected.

As chairman of the hearing, Bradbury wielded a large amount of unilateral power, and it was evident he was prepared to use it to Walsh's advantage.

-----------

Once the formalities were out of the way, Commander Cole began to lay out his case before the panel. He began by establishing the basics – Data was the Second Officer. Tasha was the Chief of Security. More than that, she was a subordinate officer in his direct chain of command.

As Cole explained, this violated the Gamma section of Regulation 1138.

"In addition to serving as the Second Officer, Lieutenant Commander Data is also the Operations Chief," Cole went on. "This makes him the highest-commanding Operations officer aboard the Enterprise. Clause Theta of Regulation 1138 clearly and specifically prohibits the top of any command chain from fraternising with a subordinate."

Commander Elliot leaned in close to Data.

"This was anticipated," Elliot whispered. "We're prepared to counter. His argument relies on a very strict interpretation of the law. One not shared by most legal scholars."

However, it seemed Commander Cole was ready for this.

"Now, the defence will claim my argument is based on a narrow interpretation of the law – one that has often not held up in these hearings," Commander Cole stated. "But we are prepared to demonstrate why this matters."

Commander Cole adjusted his uniform shirt, pulling it down before continuing.

"Lieutenant Commander Data's unique abilities have permitted him to perform at a far greater level of productivity than any human is capable of achieving," Commander Cole explained. "And his responsibilities as Chief Science Officer, Chief Operations Officer, and Second Officer require that he work many more hours than a standard member of the crew."

Data leaned forward in his seat. He had a sinking feeling he knew where this was headed.

"Typically, the three positions that Lieutenant Commander Data holds would be held by three different officers," Cole went on. "However, Captain Picard has seen fit to assign these responsibilities to one officer."

Commander Cole activated his handheld device and a chart appeared on the holographic viewscreen.

"As you can see, the duty logs indicate a forty-two percent decrease in Commander Data's work hours since initiating his relationship with Lieutenant Yar," Cole explained.

The chart was damning. It painted Data's change in behaviour in a negative light.

However, it wasn't entirely factual.

"Commander Cole, this chart specifies the number of hours Lieutenant Commander Data has worked. Is that correct?" Elliot inquired.

Commander Cole nodded.

"Could you or Captain Picard answer if there has been work that has failed to be accomplished because of this change? Were any duties neglected? Any assignments late or incomplete?" Elliot pressed.

Commander Cole took a breath.

When he didn't respond, Captain Picard jumped in.

"Lieutenant Commander Data has not failed in any of his responsibilities," Picard answered. "There has been no change to his work performance."

"Then how do you explain this significant drop in work hours?" Captain Bradbury asked.

Captain Picard was at a loss. He knew Data was spending more of his time with Tasha and less conducting research, serving extra shifts, and assisting in Main Engineering. But he wasn't sure how to convey that while steering clear of Data and Tasha's relationship.

"If I may," Data stated.

Captain Bradbury nodded.

"Over the last several months, I have made a change to my schedule. I have scaled back my research. Research – I will add – that is entirely optional and not a required duty. I have also chosen to dedicate more of my time to my own self rather than spending so much of my time serving Starfleet. For approximately twenty-six years I have operated working nearly eighteen hours a day on duty," Data explained.

It was evident this comment caught the attention of the panellists.

"Are humanoid officers not permitted personal time for rest and recreation?" Data asked rhetorically. "Although my composition is inorganic, I am a sentient being with hobbies and interests of my own. And like my human crewmates, I operate more efficiently when I am permitted time to relax."

Tasha was delighted.

Several rows back, Geordi wanted to cheer.

Instead, he settled for a fist-bump with Miles and Wesley.

"That's our boy," Miles whispered proudly.

-----------

The first several witnesses were expected – Captain Picard, Commander Riker, and Doctor Crusher.

Commander Cole had left his questions as fairly simple yes or no style inquiries that were intended to establish that a relationship existed between the pair and its parameters.

He left very little room for interpretation, elaboration, or nuance – often taking statements wildly out of context with questions designed to lead to a certain conclusion.

"During an incident in which Captain Picard was overtaken by an energy entity, it was Commander Data and Lieutenant Yar that were assigned to investigate the matter. In addition, during that mission a foreign delegate from the Selay planet was murdered aboard the ship in one of the worst failings of ship security I have ever seen," Cole told the panel.

Tasha's hands curled into fists under the table. The situation with the Antican and Selay delegates had been one of the most challenging situations she'd ever encountered.

"You noted in your medical logs that both of the defendants engaged in sexual activity a total of four times over the course of that mission," Commander Cole said as he pulled up the medical files in question. "Isn't that correct, Doctor?"

Beverly looked uncomfortable. She shifted in her seat as she tried to think how to best answer.

Normally, the subject wouldn't have ever come about except that they'd been ordered to undergo physical examinations by the Captain. To top it off, Tasha had been injured requiring an additional exam.

Asking a patient if they had engaged in any sexual activity in the last twenty-four hours was part of the standard Starfleet medical exam questionnaire.

When it became apparent that the two were engaged in an intimate relationship, Beverly had scheduled a routine follow-up exam for both of them as was standard procedure.

Never in her wildest dreams would Beverly expect something like this to be used against a patient. She certainly hadn't given her consent to have her medical records used in this manner.

"What you have to understand is-" she started to say but was cut off.

"It's a yes or no question," Cole specified.

"Well, that doesn't accurately-" Beverly protested but was gavelled down.

"Please answer the question, Doctor. Yes, or no?" Captain Bradbury said sharply.

"Yes," Beverly replied tersely.

Commander Cole looked satisfied.

"We'll never know if the danger from that entity could have been spotted sooner. Or if the Selay delegate would still be alive. Or if the Enterprise engineer killed by the entity could have been saved if the defendants hadn't spent so much time shirking their responsibilities in favour of being together," Cole said dramatically. "This is a prime example of why these fraternisation policies exist."

-----------

Unfortunately, this wasn't the only 'evidence' that Commander Cole had in his arsenal. In fact, his case was dependent upon smearing Data and Tasha to make them look neglectful of their responsibilities.

To Tasha's displeasure, Lieutenant Harris was the next witness called to the stand.

After the formalities were through, Commander Cole asked Lieutenant Harris to recount his experience on the Strnad system Federation Colony where the Enterprise had assisted in capturing a rare feline creature.

"You were injured?" Commander Cole inquired.

Harris nodded in the affirmative and shared the details of his injury.

The crew recalled the incident. Harris had been one of several security personnel that were injured on that particular mission. It was the day Data and Tasha had raced to reach Worf's hunting camp after the Enterprise had left orbit to conduct some scans.

Data had raced back to the main colony with Harris in order to save his leg.

"And on your return trip, can you describe what happened?" Commander Cole asked.

Lieutenant Harris went on to explain that they were headed back to the colony.

"Commander Data was discussing his relationship with Lieutenant Yar," Harris described.

It couldn't have been further from the truth. Walsh had been prying, Data had been quick to shut him down.

"He was distracted," Harris said. "Out of nowhere, he stopped the vehicle. I was thrown forward. It jostled my injuries. The medic at the colony said I was lucky there wasn't more trauma."

Data looked at Commander Elliot.

"This is not an accurate representation of what occurred," Data insisted.

Commander Elliot objected.

"Do you deny stopping the vehicle?" Captain Bradbury asked.

"No, sir," Data replied. "However, the Lieutenant's statement fails to take into account-"

"That will be all," Bradbury said, cutting Data off with his gavel.

Commander Elliot had predicted that this sort of thing would happen. His response was to drill into Harris.

"How can you confirm that Commander Data was distracted?" Elliot asked. "Did he mention this?"

Harris looked to Commander Cole.

"Commander Data has reaction times faster than any human and the ability to hear, see, and detect threats at a far greater range," Elliot went on.

"Are you implying some kind of alternative reason for the stop that furthered Harris's injuries?" Bradbury questioned.

"I'll withdraw my last statement," Elliot said.

It afforded him the ability to plant the idea in the panellists' heads without permitting questioning on the matter. Data hadn't seen anything else.

He'd stopped suddenly solely to order Walsh to stop.

However, Elliot didn't want to give that nugget of information to the panel.

Before he dismissed the witness, Elliot inquired about the recent incident with the Traveller.

"And it was Lieutenant Yar that risked her own safety to extract you from a dangerous flashback situation?" Elliot questioned.

"While the action is admirable, Lieutenant Yar's integrity is not under scrutiny here," Captain Bradbury said coldly.

"With all due respect, Captain. It would seem it is," Commander Elliot replied firmly. "This goes to character."

"The panel will disregard the defence's statement," Bradbury warned. "And I would caution you to proceed carefully, Commander Elliot."

-----------

Back aboard the Enterprise, Lieutenant Hawk was in command. The Night Watch crew and the Beta shift were dividing the Alpha shift hours between them.

Hawk had just taken over from Night Shift, when his officer at Tactical advised they were picking up on a disturbance on the edge of the sector.

"What is it, Ensign?" Hawk questioned.

"Uncertain, sir," Ensign Patterson replied.

As he scanned the readings, it was difficult to decipher.

"Increased energy readings are being detected by Starfleet satellites monitoring the area," Patterson explained. "Like the area has been flooded with tachyons."

"Theories?" Hawk asked.

Patterson shook her head.

"I'm not certain, sir," she replied.

There were no known phenomena in the area capable of producing that kind of reading. Furthermore, the closest Federation outpost was a farming colony. They wouldn't have the kind of technology necessary to cause such a high-energy output at that range.

"It could be weapons fire or ships dropping out of warp," Patterson advised.

Hawk ordered they report the readings to Starfleet Command for further evaluation. He would note in the log and report to Picard as soon as they knew more.

"Sir, it would take a lot of ships to create that kind of reading," Patterson added darkly.

"Put a priority hail on that request to Starfleet Command," Hawk ordered. "And let me know the minute we get the data back."

-----------

As the morning progressed, things didn't improve.

The next witness called was Ensign Gomez.

True to form, he stuck with the same act as Harris.

Gomez painted the panel a picture of a horrible experience chasing around this mysterious, dangerous creature on the colony.

"We were out there for days," Gomez described. "Nowhere was safe. I watched that thing grab Lieutenant Harris and drag him fifteen metres before we scared it off."

Gomez shook his head like he was trying to collect himself.

"On the fourth day, Lieutenant Yar finally brought in extra help," Gomez said cynically. "All morning we built a security tower and increased the perimeter fencing."

"You say Lieutenant Yar finally brought in help?" Cole asked. "Could you clarify?"

Gomez couldn't make eye contact with Tasha.

"I don't know where she was the first three days," Gomez said.

Of course, this wasn't true. Tasha had been at the main colony working to train the security forces for the colony. But it served the desired effect of making it seem Tasha had been derelict in her duty.

"She showed up with the Lieutenant Commander the night before," Gomez explained.

Technically, that was true. However, Gomez's tone implied it was as if she and Data had merely rolled in late to work.

"What about the fourth day? Did you share these concerns with Lieutenant Yar?"

Gomez shook his head.

"Lieutenant Yar and Commander Data spent the morning in her tent," Gomez said. "Alone."

"Dishonourable PetaQ!" Worf shouted as he stood up angrily.

Captain Bradbury banged his gavel down several times.

"You will remain civil, or you will be escorted out, Klingon," Bradbury sneered.

Captain Picard looked back at Worf pleadingly and Worf got the message. He gave Gomez a sharp look before resuming his seat.

When it was his turn to question the witness, Elliot tried to stick to the obvious – and thus so far unspoken – fact.

"Were Lieutenant Commander Data and Lieutenant Yar on duty that morning?" Elliot asked.

"I-uh-I don't know," Gomez replied.

"As the mission duty logs show, neither Lieutenant Commander Data nor Lieutenant Yar were on duty that morning," Elliot explained. "They weren't on duty because they had both worked through the night. Furthermore, duty logs indicate you went off duty at 04:00 hours where you returned to your own tent. Your tentmate, Ensign Olivet states you slept until 13:00 hours."

Data and Tasha were pleased that Elliot had done his research when it came to the situation.

It served to diminish Gomez's credibility.

"While these anecdotes are intended to portray my clients as irresponsible, you will find that both Lieutenant Commander Data and Lieutenant Yar have never neglected their duty during an emergency," Elliot stated.

"I'm glad you've raised that point," Commander Cole said as he rose from his seat.

Cole strolled around the table and approached the witness.

"What happened on stardate 41254.7?" Cole inquired.

Data's internal informational bank identified this as the date of the Edo planet mission.

Gomez began to describe that they were on a mysterious planet when a god-like being upset by their presence in the system, unleashed a dangerous storm and a large meteor shower.

"We didn't know what was happening. The Edo called it dancing fire," Gomez explained. "We were out of communication with the Enterprise, and no one knew what to expect. Lieutenant Commander Data was the highest-ranking officer on the planet. During the first few hours, we didn't know where he was."

Notably, Ensign Gomez had left out the fact that Data and Tasha had been stranded at their campsite during the first part of the storm and that the incident had occurred during shore leave rather than a routine mission.

Critically, he'd also left out that, at that time, there was no indication of the Edo's strange god-like being. That wasn't discovered until a day later.

"When the meteor shower began, the Edo went ballistic. We had no way of knowing how close some of those strikes were," Gomez went on. "I was on my way to find the Commander when I was stopped by Lieutenant La Forge."

Geordi recalled the night. He'd ordered Gomez, Harris, and a handful of other personnel to notify everyone that the incident was harmless according to the local Edo.

"I overheard that the Commander was indisposed," Gomez said knowingly.

Regrettably, Cole wasn't quite done with Gomez yet.

"When you returned from the Edo planet, you were put on report along with several other officers. Is that correct?" Cole questioned.

Gomez nodded.

"What was the reason for that?" Cole asked.

"During the storm, one of my colleagues located Commander Data and Lieutenant Yar engaged in an intimate activity. In the public facilities offered at the Edo resort. We were discussing the incident," Gomez admitted before adding. "Because it seemed like it should be wrong. The kind of thing unbecoming an officer."

Geordi audibly snorted.

It was a far cry from the truth.

"First the Lieutenant Commander came over to intimidate us," Gomez lied. "And after he left, Lieutenant La Forge put us all on report. It was retaliation for questioning the incident."

But Elliot was quick-thinking, and he had a plan.

"At the time of the storm and the meteor shower, both of my clients were on shore leave," Elliot stated simply. "And this mysterious god-like being did not appear for another full twenty-four hours. While my clients are decorated officers, I fail to see how they can be faulted for failing to predict future events."

-----------

The next witness was Ensign Walsh himself.

Walsh confessed he was the one that submitted the complaint to his grandfather, feigning concern for his fellow security officers who were 'suffering' under the Security Chief.

"And you were physically assaulted by the Commander?" Cole asked.

Walsh nodded, attempting his best to look victimised.

"I had spent hours helping the Edo with the storm. I just wanted to clean up," Walsh lied. "When I reached the public baths, I found Lieutenant Yar, well-"

Walsh trailed off as if he were uncomfortable.

Cole gave him a moment.

"It's alright, Ensign," Cole said reassuringly. "You can safely express yourself here without the fear of repercussions for your honesty."

"I'm sorry, this is just very hard for me," Walsh said. "I had never been exposed to that kind of behaviour – certainly not the sort of thing I expected from my commanding officer."

Without thinking, Tasha scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Lieutenant, please," Elliot cautioned her.

Although it was completely unfair, Elliot had warned them to appear cooperative and poised at all times. Cole was attempting to paint them in an unflattering light, and it was essential that they counter that narrative at every point of the hearing.

"She was intimately occupied with one of the Edo women," Walsh said uneasily as if the notion offended his delicate sensibilities. "The Lieutenant Commander was there too. It was indecent."

It was too much for Tasha.

"You walked in on me bathing and then had the audacity to act as if it were some sort of show you were entitled to. You're a vile little pervert," Tasha snapped.

"Restrain yourself, Lieutenant Yar," Captain Bradbury said curtly with a tap of his gavel.

Ensign Walsh went on to tell the room that he'd been physically assaulted by Commander Data after the android had 'thrown' him into a wall. Walsh claimed his injuries had been serious enough to warrant treatment from an Edo physician at the lodge.

Data knew this was impossible – he'd carefully calculated the amount of pressure to safely (but firmly) restrain the unruly Ensign.

Commander Elliot questioned if there was any record to substantiate his injury claims. Walsh had certainly not reported anything upon his return to the ship. Walsh countered by claiming that the only ones who could verify his injuries were the Edo physician and nurse that treated him.

Commander Cole was quick to point out that because of how the situation with the Edo ended, they had no way possible to verify this and asked the panel to take the Ensign at his word.

Walsh ended his testimony by claiming that Data had threatened to use his position as Second Officer to punish Walsh with extra, unpleasant duties.

"So you see," Cole said. "The Lieutenant Commander was ready to abuse his position of power over a subordinate to ensure compliance with their rule breaking. Anyone that questioned it, risked retribution. This kind of abuse of power has no place in Starfleet."

-----------

The final witness that morning was Lieutenant Oliver Adams. He took the stand reluctantly and was immediately set upon by Commander Cole.

"I'd like to draw your attention to an incident on Stardate 41220.8," Commander Cole said. "This was your first day aboard the Enterprise?"

"Yes," Adams replied honestly.

"And you were aware that Lieutenant Yar had a physical altercation with a security Ensign in which she threatened to break his hand?" Cole asked.

"Objection. This hearing is in regard to a relationship that allegedly began after Stardate 41235.3," Elliot said from the table. "Relevance?"

"I'm trying to establish a pattern of behaviour, your honour," Commander Cole argued.

"I'll allow it," Captain Bradbury said.

"If you're referring to when that creep assaulted her then yes, I am aware," Oliver said angrily as he pointed to Ensign Walsh.

Unphased, Commander Cole asked the panel to note that Lieutenant Yar had charged Ensign Walsh with public drunkenness on the evening in question.

"There is no charge of assault and Lieutenant Yar went even further to deny this young Ensign any contact with others via communication devices or computer access for forty-eight hours," Cole said.

"I saw the injuries," Adams said, definitely. "I'm the one that patched her up afterward."

He turned back to Lieutenant Adams.

"Permission to treat Lieutenant Adams as a hostile witness?" Cole asked.

To everyone's disgust, the request was granted.

"Lieutenant Yar had been present at the Ten Forward lounge for several hours. You were also present. You both left the lounge and returned to her quarters, isn't that correct?" Cole questioned.

"That's not what happened," Adams said, irritated.

"Security logs show you entered her quarters at 23:17 hours and did not exit until 03:10 the next morning," Cole said. "Was this some late-night welcome to the Enterprise?"

"Objection!" Elliot repeated loudly. "Relevance?"

Commander Elliot was heated. This line of questioning had no significance to the charges and was clearly being used only for the purpose of embarrassing his defendant.

"I'm not answering that question as I fail to see how it correlates to the charges," Adams replied defiantly.

Commander Cole stared hard at Lieutenant Adams as if challenging him to push back more.

"Guys like that don't belong in Starfleet," Adams said as he pointed to the observation row where Walsh, Harris, and Gomez were seated.

"Captain Bradbury!" Elliot said as he stood. "These questions are clearly an attempt to intimidate my client."

Commander Cole turned to look at his rival JAG officer.

"I couldn't disagree more," Cole said markedly.

Without turning around, he addressed Lieutenant Adams again.

"Lieutenant Yar told you something that night, didn't she? Something that made clear she understood exactly why Regulation 1138 was in place," Cole said as pressed Adams for an answer. "I'll remind you that you are under oath."

Oliver Adams looked confused.

"I-I don't know what you're asking?" Oliver questioned.

It had been months ago. He'd certainly remembered that night, but he knew it was a one-time fling. Tasha had made that abundantly clear, and Oliver had been keen to respect her request for privacy.

"Computer, please play the personal log of Lieutenant Oliver Adams for Stardate 41221.7," Cole ordered.

On the witness stand, Adams closed his eyes as realisation hit him.

Captain Picard was furious that Cole had somehow managed to get his hands on one of his crew member's personal logs without permission.

Cole pushed the video log recording forward to the appropriate moment. He'd been so giddy when he'd found it as, in his mind, it was clear evidence Tasha understood the interpretation of Regulation 1138 that Captain Bradbury shared.

"So, I met a woman last night. She's cute. Blonde. Mom would say 'just my type.' And...uh," Adams said. "I didn't see it coming."

In the video recording, Adams smiled shyly.

"We had a pretty great night together," Adams paused. "And she's got this smile that...gods I really want to ask her to get a coffee but-"

In the log, Adams trailed off as he sighed.

"She's a senior officer," he said nervously. "And just my luck, she said she doesn't get involved in relationships with other crew members because of the regulations and her job. Pity, because I've kind of got a crush now."

Cole ceased the playback.

Oliver looked at Tasha apologetically.

If he'd have only known, he never would have recorded that log.

Wordlessly, Tasha tried to convey to him that it wasn't his fault. He couldn't have predicted such a personal moment would ever become part of a disciplinary hearing.

-----------

When the hearing went to recess for lunch, Tasha was pulled aside by Commander Elliot.

"I'll catch up," Tasha said to Geordi.

In the privacy of Elliot's office, he shared with her a message they'd received during the morning's proceedings.

Tasha grew warm as she read it.

It was an offer that they would drop all of the charges against Data in exchange for Tasha's cooperation.

"They've offered you reassignment on the USS Helios," Elliot said.

Tasha read the details of the Helios's mission. It was a Constellation class vessel that was going to be embarking on a three-year mission to the far side of Klingon space in the Beta Quadrant as part of a research mission.

"You would also be required to take a demotion to Ensign," Elliot added darkly. "And drop the charges against Ensign Walsh. The offer would be non-negotiable."

Tasha wasn't just offended – she was livid.

"I'm not taking this," Tasha said angrily as she handed the PADD back to Commander Elliot.

Elliot nodded in understanding.

"You should be aware this came in as well. It's the list of witnesses that have been added by Commander Cole for this afternoon," Elliot explained as he handed Tasha an electronic tablet. "I expected you would know what these names have in common?"

Tasha scanned the list and felt like she'd been punched by a Gorn – Tristan Ickes, Andre Murray, Emily Martell, and more names.

"I'm still not taking the offer," Tasha advised. "I don't care if they want to parade every person I've ever made a pass at onto the stand, the answer is still no."

-----------

Once she was done speaking with Elliot, she slipped out on her own.

Sneaking out the backside of the office, she made her way back to the Enterprise.

Everyone had been planning to get lunch together at a place Commander Riker had recommended.

But Tasha didn't want to be around anyone.

She felt horrible and wanted to be alone.

Although she had pretended to firmly reject the offer from Cole, she had no idea where she'd mustered the courage to do so.

Tasha knew the witnesses were a threat to try and push her to break, and it only served to fuel her resolve.

Cole was going to try and embarrass her by dragging her past sexual partners onto the witness stand. Walsh was clearly pulling the strings behind the scene.

And worst of all, Captain Bradbury was content to let it happen.

Inside, she felt like a wreck. The injustice of it all was overwhelming.

Tasha felt like her faith in Starfleet was being shaken.

When she reached her quarters, she kicked off her boots.

Tasha curled up, pulling her knees close, and let herself cry.

-----------

"I apologise," Data said to the group. "I believe it would be best if I were to head back to the ship to resume my search."

"No need to apologise, Data," Deanna assured him.

"Do you want us to come help?" Geordi offered.

"Summat tells me she's probably wanting to be alone," Miles suggested.

"I believe you are correct, Chief," Data concurred.

He excused himself from the group and made his way out onto the promenade.

On his way to the transporter room, Worf caught his arm.

"Here," Worf said as he passed Data a package. "I had a feeling she'd want to sneak out. Make sure she eats."

Data was touched by the gesture.

"Thank you, Worf," Data said with a short nod.

-----------

When the hearing resumed that afternoon, Data and Tasha were both expected to be called to testify. Before entering the chambers, Data had quietly pulled Tasha aside.

"Remember, their goal is to illicit a reaction," Data said softly. "We cannot give them that."

"I know," she said as she squeezed his hand.

They slipped back into the chambers and took their seats next to Commander Elliot.

Everyone was on edge. The morning had not gone as planned. They needed the rest of the hearing to go in their favour or there was a good chance the panel would rule against them.

As anticipated, Data was called to the witness stand first.

"Panellists, I'd like to submit as evidence the following Letter of Resignation that was submitted by Lieutenant Commander Data on Stardate 41209.4," Commander Cole said. "Did you write this letter?"

Data and Captain Picard exchanged an anxious glance.

41209.4 was the Tsiolkovsky mission.

The polywater incident.

"Yes," Data replied slowly. "But it was submitted in error and rejected by Captain-"

Captain Bradbury tapped his gavel.

"The witness will refrain from answering with extraneous information," Captain Bradbury ordered.

"Your honour," Elliot said as he stood up quickly. "We have not been briefed about this letter. I request this be postponed until I can review this with my clients."

Elliot's request was denied.

"How did they get this letter?" Captain Picard muttered angrily to the table.

Tasha closed her eyes as she braced herself for the next shoe to drop.

Commander Cole requested Data read the letter aloud.

Data didn't need the screen to recite the letter word for word.

"I regret to inform you that I, Lieutenant Commander Data, must immediately resign my commission from Starfleet effective today Stardate 41209.4. During our recent mission, I knowingly chose to violate Starfleet Regulations under Section 17.43 regarding Code of Conduct and Regulation 1138 with a subordinate officer under my command," Data recounted aloud. "I deeply regret my actions and am ready to accept any punishment seen fit. In addition, I feel that due to my behaviour, I am no longer fit to serve as your Second Officer as I am concerned about-"

Data paused briefly and there was mistaking the pained expression on his face.

"I am concerned about my inability to control myself. My neural net has been overwhelmed with an unfamiliar sensation that can only be described as 'emotion' although I know that is not possible," Data went on. "I thank you for the opportunity and leadership you have demonstrated during our service together. It has been an honour to serve under your command, Captain."

Commander Cole grinned smugly.

"So you see, your honours," Cole said. "By his own account, Commander Data admits he violated Regulation 1138 and it caused him concern about his ability to serve. He even goes so far as to state he welcomes whatever disciplinary action Starfleet deems appropriate."

This isn't happening. Tasha told herself.

She had felt horrible when Data had first told her about his resignation letter. Tasha felt as if it were all her fault for pushing him away like she had.

It had been a misunderstanding.

But in the eyes of the court it appeared to be proof of everything Cole had argued.

It had the desired effect.

Counsellor T'Pyxis was typing away rapidly, adding notes to her PADD at the bench as she weighed the value of this latest piece of evidence. Captain Crozier looked sadly at the android on the stand.

He was one of the most ardent dissidents to Regulation 1138 – he felt officers had the ability to determine if they could separate their personal and professional lives on their own without Starfleet dictating it.

However, it was hard to argue with an officer admitting his own inability to do so.

But one look at the defence and it was apparent there was something not being said here.

Panellists were permitted to ask questions under the rules of the hearing. Crozier had waited, often preferring to hold off until the end of the hearing.

Yet, in this instance, he was compelled to interject. It was essential to understanding if the Commander really had felt this way or if there was something that was being left out of the conversation.

Crozier cleared his throat.

"I have several questions," Crozier informed the hearing.

Reluctantly, Captain Bradbury turned over the speaking time to Captain Crozier.

"You stated earlier this was an error," Crozier said as he turned to Data. "Please elaborate."

Data nodded.

"The letter was submitted in error. At times, my android nature fails to pick up on the subtle nuance of human interactions. My letter was submitted as part of a misunderstanding," Data replied. "Had I known then what I know now, I never would have attempted to resign."

"Thank you, one more question," Crozier said. "You stated that you were concerned about performing your duties as Second Officer. Is that statement true?"

"No," Data replied honestly. "At the time of the letter, I was concerned my actions had hurt a fellow crew member. When that misunderstanding was corrected, I no longer had that concern. I am mentally and physically fit to carry out my duties without fear of any personal relationships interfering with that responsibility."

Captain Picard and Commander Elliot were whispering furiously.

"Is there something that you wish to share with the rest of the hearing?" Captain Bradbury asked.

Captain Picard nodded slowly.

"Very much so," Picard replied. "The misunderstanding in question took place during an outbreak of infection on the Enterprise in which a majority of the crew were under the influence of an alien polywater intoxication-"

"Yes, yes," Bradbury said as he attempted to gavel the Captain down.

"An intoxication, I might add, that led to the deaths of all eighty-eight crew members aboard the research vessel Tsiolkovsky and nearly killed my entire crew," Picard went on. "Had it not been for my crew – including Commander Data – the Enterprise would have been destroyed."

Bradbury ordered Captain Picard to stop, but Counsellor T'Pyxis intervened.

"I would like to further study this infection," the Vulcan said as she cocked an eyebrow.

Captain Picard tapped his combadge and requested that they relay Doctor Crusher's research on the infection to the JAG office for study.

"You will find, Counsellor," Picard said addressing the Vulcan. "That Starfleet cleared all crew members. No one was to be held liable for their actions during the polywater intoxication."

It was a small victory, but one that they were willing to take.

At the very least, it seemed T'Pyxis hadn't yet made her mind up on the resignation.

Several rows back, Admiral Walsh was absorbed with looking at his PADD device. It seemed as if he wasn't even focusing on the hearing any longer.

Without warning, he got up and slipped out the backdoor of the hearing with two of his staffers in tow.

The hearing resumed undisturbed.

Counsellor T'Pyxis requested that Doctor Crusher be added back to the witness list for the purpose of discussing this infection.

"I believe the crux of this hearing rests on determining if these two officers can, in fact, separate duty and responsibility from any personal connection," she said. "And I will not be satisfied until we've examined the medical evidence."

Without warning, Captain Picard's combadge pinged.

"Sir, we're receiving a priority coded subspace communication from Starfleet Command," Lieutenant Hawk's voice rang out. "Senior officers have been requested on the Bridge immediately. There's a crisis developing on the edge of the sector."

All of the officers were now on alert.

If they were calling in the Enterprise, it was likely something big.

Suddenly, one of Admiral Walsh's staffers rushed into the room and requested permission to speak with Captain Bradbury.

They were in a hushed discussion for a few seconds before Bradbury dismissed him.

He conversed quietly with the other two panellists for a moment before turning to address the group.

"At this time, this hearing will recess until further notice to evaluate the growing Cardassian threat in this sector," Bradbury stated. "While it would be normal procedure to temporarily restrict the officers in question from performing their duties, the panel recognises these are extraordinary circumstances."

A worried murmur went around the room.

"Did he say Cardassians?" Wesley whispered to Geordi.

They were lightyears from the Border Wars – although not out of the realm of possibility of Cardassian attack in their present location.

If the Cardassians really had breached into this sector, it could mean the Enterprise was heading into combat.

"At this time, Commander Data is permitted to resume his role as Second Officer," Bradbury explained.

Tasha's throat went tight.

"But the panel herby orders Lieutenant Yar's commission provisionally revoked until at which time this panel may resume and render a final judgement," Bradbury ordered.

Tasha felt gobsmacked.

Picard was already on his feet.

"Not good enough! Dammit!" Picard snapped. "Lieutenant Yar is my Chief Tactical Officer and I need her on my Bridge."

"I'm sorry, Captain," T'Pyxis stated. "But until such time as it is determined that any personal connection between Lieutenant Commander Data and Lieutenant Yar is no danger to the ship and her crew, we cannot permit them to serve together."

-----------

On Elliot's recommendation, Tasha remained on the Starbase. He advised it could be possible the Cardassian threat would already be contained.

If the Enterprise was to be called away to aid in rescue or defence, there would be no telling when it would return. Furthermore, there was nothing to stop Bradbury from resuming the panel without them.

It was crucial someone remain behind in case that happened.

"Don't let Olivet overload the torpedo bays," Tasha said to Worf in the main entrance hall of the office. "And watch bay three. It's got that wonky-"

She stopped talking.

"I'm sorry, you know this," Tasha said quickly.

"You are feeling useless," Worf said in understanding.

Tasha nodded.

"Worthless. As if your hands are tied-" he went on.

"Worf," Tasha warned.

He grinned and gave a soft punch on the arm.

"You fight best when you are down," he said as he flashed her a rare Klingon smile.

-----------

As soon as he was done discussing the situation with Elliot, Data approached Tasha.

"Tasha, I am uncertain what to say," Data confessed.

She pulled him into an embrace.

"Be careful," she said warmly.

"This hearing is not over. It seems that Counsellor-" he began to say but she cut him off.

She placed a chaste kiss on his lips before stepping back.

"They need you, go," she said.

There were a great many things that Data wanted to tell her, but he knew they didn't have the time.

They had both agreed duty came first.

More than that, they knew they didn't need to be spoken aloud.

-----------

"With me, Mr La Forge," Picard said as he came up behind Geordi.

Captain Picard and Geordi hurried to the nearest turbolift that connected to the corridor near the Starbase's transporter room.

"Not so fast, gentlemen," Captain Picard said as he spied Lieutenant Harris and Ensign Gomez.

They were waiting for the lift and had attempted to make themselves scarce as soon as they say the Captain and La Forge approach.

"We can all share the lift," Picard said brightly as the doors opened and he held out his hand to indicate they should step inside.

Both men felt they had no choice and unenthusiastically stepped onto the lift with the Captain and Geordi.

"Once this business is seen to with the Cardassians, I'd like you to run a computer trace on any attempt to access my personal files, Mr La Forge," Picard said.

"Of course, Captain," Geordi responded coolly as he understood where the Captain was headed with his question.

"How exactly does that work, Lieutenant?" Picard asked.

"Well, sir. I can determine what anyone or any entity has attempted to access. We'll be able to see if they downloaded anything," Geordi explained. "The computer's system will allow me to find who accessed what and when."

Harris and Gomez were sweating now.

Gomez had a knack for being able to hack into just about anything he wanted. However, he wasn't always great at covering his tracks. And he was certainly no match for Lieutenant La Forge.

Gomez shifted awkwardly.

Ensign Walsh had promised his grandfather was going to protect him.

What if it wasn't enough?

His mind began to race with possibilities. After all, he'd just witnessed how easy it was for two superior officers to be brought up on largely erroneous charges.

"Furthermore, if anyone transmitted that data to anyone else that would constitute a violation of Starfleet Privacy Protocols," Geordi added. "And about fourteen other regulations including compromising ship's security."

"Well, I shall look forward to your report," the Captain replied as they stepped off the lift.

-----------

At the very least, Tasha had been permitted her combadge.

Captain Picard had radioed that a Cardassian force had, in fact, entered the sector. It had steamrolled past a small Federation group of ships on the edge of the Tredsti system and claimed four colonies.

Starfleet was preparing a contingent of ships to try and deter any further Cardassian advances and the Enterprise had been called upon to provide support.

They were heading off at Warp 9 to rendezvous with the fleet.

Assuming the show of force would stop the Cardassians, they were expected to return in approximately forty-eight hours.

Elliot had recommended she stay close to the legal office in case there were any further developments.

"But take a break, please," Elliot suggested.

At his instance, Tasha had decided to take a walk around the promenade. Elliot suggested the shoppes and such might take her mind off the hearing for a while. He'd also assured her they'd find a place for her to lodge until the ship returned.

Tasha set out wandering aimlessly through the base as she passed by the various vendors that lined the promenade.

Unfortunately, most of the shoppes were closed. Fear that Cardassians had entered the sector had forced many vendors to take their merchandise and flee. Doors were locked down and sealed and the promenade was largely deserted.

So much for a distraction. Tasha laughed to herself.

Out of the corner of her eye, she caught a flash of light coming from one of the shoppes.

Curious, and desperate for anything to think about other than her predicament, Tasha decided to take a risk.

-----------

From the minute she stepped inside, Tasha felt out of her element. It wasn't exactly the type of shoppe she would normally patronise – at least not without Beverly or Deanna.

For Tasha, it was essential that fashion be practical. Her job required her to be ready to jump, run, or beam down into danger at a moment's notice.

There wasn't much room in her wardrobe for the kind of fine things Deanna wore.

More than that, between her childhood and service in Starfleet, Tasha had never really gotten a chance to even explore that kind of femininity.

Nothing on Turkana was soft.

And Tasha had never seen much sense in spending credits on frivolous things like clothing.

Unlike most of her human crewmates, Tasha hadn't grown up in the Federation. She'd been raised on a world where the idea of currency was still a reality for millions of Turkanans.

She could never bring herself to be so wasteful.

"See anything you like, my dear?" a silky voice said from behind her.

"I'm sorry," Tasha said as she realised she'd probably been staring. "I-uh. I'm just looking. Whoever made these is very talented."

"Thank you," he replied. "I am."

The tailor took hold of her bicep and guided her over to a large mirror.

"If I may, this uniform does nothing for your colour," the tailor said coolly. "Now this, on the other hand, is stunning."

Tasha looked at herself in the mirror and laughed softly.

There was no way she was ever going to wear something bright red like the garment he was holding up. It looked like the kind of thing Deanna's mother would wear. Certainly, not fit for a Security Chief.

Her eyes landed on the hand of the tailor that was holding the garment up in front of her.

They were grey.

For the first time, Tasha got a look at the shopkeeper that was standing behind her in the mirror.

There was no mistaking the light-grey skin and forehead ridges.

He was a Cardassian.

"Too much?" he asked with a casual shrug.

He read her reaction and surmised she was taken aback to find a Cardassian aboard the Starbase.

The tailor turned away and selected another garment.

He turned back a moment later with something simpler in a vibrant shade of blue.

"Sir, I'm really not here to buy anything," Tasha confessed. "I was just out looking around and, well, you're the only shoppe still open."

"Who said anything about buying?" the Cardassian replied with a wicked grin.

He handed Tasha the hanger.

"Hold this," he said.

The tailor returned a moment later with a gold belt and cinched it around her waist.

"I am the only shoppe left open and I'm bored as hell," the shopkeeper said. "And it's certainly not every day I get someone like you in here. Indulge me, please."

Tasha was confused.

"Garak. Plain, simple Garak," the tailor said as he introduced himself. "It's rare I meet any of you Earthlings that don't run out of here the minute they find a Cardassian tailor."

"I'm not from Earth," Tasha replied absentmindedly as she tried to process what the hell was happening.

"Oh!" Garak replied as his eyes went wide. "Where are you from then, my dear?"

"It's not a Federation planet," Tasha replied softly.

It was always a little awkward telling others about Turkana. The colony had a bad reputation – for good reason – and, in a way, Tasha was a tiny bit embarrassed about that.

"Come now, don't be shy," Garak pressed.

"I'm from Turkana IV," Tasha admitted.

Garak's eyes grew wide.

"Turkana IV?" he said. "I haven't heard that planet's name in a long time."

Garak began to fiddle with the length of the skirt, settling for pinning it a few centimetres below her knees.

"You know they say the Security Chief on the USS Enterprise is from Turkana IV," Garak said slickly.

Tasha was taken aback.

"Hmm? Where do you hear that?" Tasha inquired.

There was something about this Garak that was unsettling. He was extremely friendly.

Too friendly.

"You'd be amazed what one overhears working as a simple tailor," Garak replied. "Well, that and the fact the whole base has been abuzz about a top-level Starfleet hearing taking place here this week involving the Security Chief and Starfleet's Lieutenant Commander Data. He's an android, you know?"

Tasha felt warm.

She didn't like to be the subject of gossip.

"Oh, I know," Tasha replied a little more coldly than intended.

Garak stopped pinning the hem and looked at her in the mirror.

"Better than any of us, I'm sure," he replied with a knowing smile.

How in the universe? Tasha was at a loss.

She wasn't used to anyone getting the one-up on her.

Before Tasha could respond, Garak undid the belt.

"No, no," he said, shaking his head. "Not quite."

Garak stepped back and put his hands on his hips as he circled her.

"Um, I think-" Tasha started to say but Garak shushed her.

He disappeared briefly and returned a moment later with another garment.

"Please don't take this the wrong way but-" Tasha started to ask.

She didn't need to finish her question. Garak knew precisely what was on her mind.

"What is a Cardassian tailor doing on a Federation Starbase?" Garak replied, anticipating her question. "Well, I've been working out of Terok Nor for the last two years. But things have gotten quite heated around Bajor."

Tasha understood that was likely true.

"So I've relocated here temporarily," Garak admitted. "Although someday I'd like to get back there."

Garak held up the next garment that he wanted to show her.

"Absolutely not," Tasha said as she was ready to take a step back.

"Indulge me, Lieutenant," Garak replied kindly.

He handed her the hanger. Gripping her chin, he gently encouraged her head to turn side to side.

"I don't wear this kind of thing," Tasha replied.

But as she observed herself, she had to admit it would be nice.

Tasha was struck by how closely it resembled the colour of the garment she'd been forced to wear on Ligon II - and how Data had not-so subtly reacted to it.

Garak could see she was mulling it over in her mind.

"Complexity isn't a vice, Lieutenant," Garak said simply.

Tasha considered his words. They hit close – too close – to a recurring theme of her conversations with Deanna.

Your femininity doesn't detract from your role as Chief of Security. Deanna was constantly reminding her whenever they had girl's night.

"Don't go anywhere," Garak said as he disappeared.

Tasha glanced at the timepiece on the wall.

She'd managed to kill some time, but the anticipation of not knowing what was to come was killing her.

And while this strange, endearing Cardassian tailor was amusing – Tasha missed the Enterprise.

She was so lost in her own thoughts that she didn't hear the door chime.

Nor did she see the woman come up next to her.

"Who was he?" a deep voice said next to her.

Tasha didn't register that someone was talking to her.

"Or she?" the voice asked.

"What?" Tasha asked, confused as she turned to the woman next to her.

She was a petite, but there was something about her that radiated a kind of powerful energy.

And for some inexplicable reason, Tasha felt like the weight of the hearing had lifted a tiny bit.

"Well, no offense, but you look as if someone just ripped your heart out," the woman said.

Tasha wasn't sure how to respond.

"I'm sorry, I just have a lot on my mind," Tasha said.

She moved to step away from the mirror, but the woman stopped her.

"Oh no," she said quickly. "I just stopped in to pick up an order. Garak does all of my hats."

She gripped the edge of her wide-brimmed purple hat and smiled.

"He's got a way with a needle," she went on. "With everyone hightailing it off the base, I wanted to be sure and pick it up in case he decided to leave too."

"The street's pretty empty," Tasha commented.

The woman nodded.

"And you feel bad because you want to help," the woman said.

There was something about the way she was looking at her. Tasha felt like she could stare right through to her soul.

"How did you?" Tasha trailed off as she furrowed her brow, confused by this woman's ability to read her internal concerns so accurately.

The woman shrugged.

"My name is Guinan," she said. "I'm from a race of listeners."

"Oh," Tasha replied, unsure of what an appropriate response would be.

"And if you want my advice, listen to yourself," Guinan said. "Buy the dress."

As if on cue, Garak returned.

"I was thinking maybe you had gotten out of town," Guinan said to him.

"Even if the Cardassians do come, I have ways of making myself scarce," Garak replied in an oily voice.

He fetched a large hatbox from his counter and turned it over to the mysterious woman.

Guinan thanked Garak and reminded him to be safe.

"It was a pleasure to meet you, Tasha," Guinan said before turning to leave.

Tasha cocked her head to the side as she replayed the encounter in her head.

"I didn't tell her my name," Tasha said, utterly perplexed.

Garak grinned to himself as he adjusted the hemline.

"Whoa, OK," Tasha said as she observed it. "I think that's short enough."

Tasha couldn't believe she was even considering purchasing this kind of thing.

"Like I said, I don't wear this kind of thing," Tasha insisted. "I could never get away with something this short."

Garak pulled a pin from his mouth and secured it in the folded fabric. As high as he'd pinned the hem, a skant would have covered more.

"Certainly not in public," Tasha muttered as tried to keep still.

Garak stopped.

"My dear, this isn't meant to be worn in public," Garak said with a cheeky grin.

Tasha laughed.

"Alright, it's been fun. But I should probably get back," Tasha said.

Garak gripped her shoulders and forced her to look at herself in the mirror.

"You look radiant," Garak said. "He's going to find you breath-taking."

"He doesn't breathe," Tasha retorted.

Garak didn't look phased in slightest.,

"Fine. Short circuit," Garak replied playfully.

-----------

Tasha left Garak's shoppe feeling strangely at peace despite the events that had transpired.

Garak asked if she would stop back the next day and assured her he would have the garment ready at that time. When she handed over her credits to pay him, Garak made her a guarantee that she wouldn't regret it.

Commander Elliot had radioed that he'd secured her quarters on base and it didn't take Tasha long to find them.

She replicated a cuppa mint tea and laid back on the bed.

The quarters were located on one of the 'arms' of the base and featured a large window that overlooked the Petlian VII star cluster.

It was beautiful, but lonely.

It wasn't just the absence of Data and her friends that left Tasha feeling small.

The room had a high, vaulted ceiling that was so unlike her own quarters and served to make the room feel empty.

The Enterprise would have arrived at the rendezvous point by this time. If the initial reports were accurate, the Cardassian forces were likely already turned around at this point.

As she watched the gentle swirl of the star cluster, Tasha felt like she was torn between existing in two different places, where she was physically on Starbase 118 and simultaneously thousands of lightyears away – wherever Data was.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.6K 1.4K 10
Spock goes to the bridge to complete some later duties and work when he finds kirk watching the stars, he finds himself in an emotional state, and hi...
3K 46 39
Book 1: Data Lore Desire Book 2: Desired Data Dezirae (meaning: so long hoped for, crave, desire, much desired origin: Latin & French) Dez to her fri...
27.7K 1K 21
Home to you was always on the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) with your closest friend, Dr.Mccoy, and captain James T. Kirk. But due to a mishap, you have...
7.1K 253 13
This is an alternative universe where Data begins to experience emotions naturally without the emotion chip thanks the reader. You never thought he w...