The Author's Will

By rozure

ā š˜šØš® š¦ššššž š¦šž šš š¬šžš„šŸš¢š¬š” š¦ššš§... š’š”šØš®š„šš§'š­ š²šØš® š­ššš¤šž š«šžš¬š©šØš§š¬š¢š›š¢š„š¢... More

Prologue
Author's Note
怀ą¼’
01 | Newborn
02 | Newborn
03 | Newborn
04 | Newborn
05 | Newborn
06 | Newborn
07 | Newborn
08 | Newborn
09 | Newborn
10 | Little Sprout
11 | Little Sprout
12 | Little Sprout
13 | Little Sprout
14 | Little Sprout
15 | Little Sprout
16 | Little Sprout
17 | Little Sprout
18 | Little Sprout
19 | Summer Flowers
20 | Summer Flowers
21 | Summer Flowers
22 | Summer Flowers
23 | Summer Flowers
24 | Summer Flowers
25 | Summer Flowers
26 | Summer Flowers
27 | Summer Flowers
28 | Summer Flowers
29 | Summer Flowers
30 | Icicle Eyes
31 | Icicle Eyes
32 | Icicle Eyes
33 | Icicle Eyes
34 | Icicle Eyes
35 | Icicle Eyes
36 | Icicle Eyes
37 | Icicle Eyes
38 | Icicle Eyes
39 | Icicle Eyes
40 | Mirrored Blades
41 | Mirrored Blades
43 | Mirrored Blades
44 | Mirrored Blades
45 | Mirrored Blades
46 | Mirrored Blades
47 | Mirrored Blades
48 | Mirrored Blades
49 | Mirrored Blades
50 | Mirrored Blades
51 | Mirrored Blades
52 | Mirrored Blades
53 | Mirrored Blades
54 | Mirrored Blades
55 | Mirrored Blades
55.5 | Passage of Time
56 | White Aster
57 | White Aster
58 | White Aster
59 | White Aster
60 | White Aster
61 | White Aster
62 | White Aster
63 | White Aster
64 | White Aster
65 | White Aster
66 | White Aster
67 | White Aster
68 | White Aster
69 | White Aster
70 | White Aster
71 | Time Limit
72 | Time Limit
73 | Time Limit
74 | Time Limit
75 | Time Limit
76 | Time Limit
77 | Time Limit
78 | Time Limit
79 | Time Limit
80 | Time Limit
81 | Time Limit
82 | Time Limit
83 | Time Limit
84 | Time Limit
85 | Time Limit
86 | Time Limit
87 | Time Limit
88 | Time Limit
89 | Time Limit
90 | Time Limit
91 | Time Limit
92 | Time Limit
93 | Time Limit

42 | Mirrored Blades

6K 438 126
By rozure

   Mikael laid upon the plush, layered sheets of his bed, gazing up at the sapphire brooch he received as his first gift. The Duke of Cherliann was different from what he expected - much less frightening, to say the least. The rumours he once heard back at the house Mikael and Daniel were raised in, were vastly different to the man who seemed obsessed with his daughter just a few hours ago.

Just as the blonde was thinking this, a shadowy figure entered through the door of his bedroom, and Mikael sat up to see Ms Cather standing there with that condescending glare she always wore. The boy swallowed dryly, clutching the brooch in his palms as he observed her warily.

She had been quiet these days. In fact - Mikael almost hardly saw her around at all. Perhaps it was because of Irene and Rayvis constantly being around, which would make it difficult for the maid to hurt him like she used to. Or because she doesn't want to risk me getting caught with injuries.

She noticed the shining object in his hand, and scoffed. "Do you really think a cheap gift like that means you're important? Hah, how amusing," Ms Cather sneered at the boy, her jeering voice resonating through the room. "You must think so highly of yourself! Being around children who you think will protect you. But of course, they'll end up abandoning you just like everyone else."

Mikael didn't say anything, and thought a silent prayer as he wished for the woman to leave his room. His body shivered at the thought she would try doing something again, but it didn't seem like the old hag was planning on hurting him today. It was like there was something on her mind - a spark could be seen in her dull eyes, indicating she was planning something, which left Mikael in a state of dread.

"I hope you at least make a good show of how lowly you are. Better for His Highness Prince Daniel, to look like he's heavens above you."

And with that last remark, the woman rolled her eyes and left the room - her long black skirt disappearing like a wave of smoke through the doorway, and leaving Mikael in a state of both relief and confusion.

What she said just now, what did that mean...? He wondered, brows narrowing. Make a show of myself...?

Ms Cather usually didn't bother paying attention to Mikael, and used to leave him to rot away in his room back where they once lived. As the head maid of the mansion, she would ensure no one served Mikael the way they nurtured the elder prince, and she was the one who forced all the other maids into hating the little boy.

It was hard to tell what she was thinking.

She looks like she's going to try something... I hope it doesn't end up badly... Mikael sighed softly, glancing down at the brooch again. Somehow, gazing into its glimmering surface calmed him down - and his thoughts became more clear.

"I'll grow stronger..." He told himself, brows narrowing. The calluses prickling his palms from all his training with the sword - further fuelling this thought. "And then I'll kill that woman myself."

  A few days had passed, as Rudien's early return to Laydel created an uproar among those amidst the Cherliann manor, leaving it more alive and energetic than it had ever been before. In every room and every hall, there were maids and servants flitting about and getting their work done, like bees in a hive working together.

The duke gradually took back control of the work his wife had been taking care of, for the past three years. Despite returning home from war, Rudien was as busy as ever. He was perpetually called to visit the other dukes and ministers, updating the council and parliament on the war whilst preparing for the nation's victory celebrations.

He would be instructing his knights, overseeing internal affairs, maintaining order in his territory, or swamped with paperwork.

On top of that - Rudien even decided to oversee some renovations at the Knight's quarters. Since the army of Laydel operated under him, he decided to allow the returning soldiers to come back to dorms that were larger and improved, providing them with new facilities to thank them for their hard work.

In three months, the army would return to Laydel. There was still much time left, but since this was a huge event - everyone was already starting to prepare for victory celebrations. Talks of the banquet were starting to spread, leaving an air of excitement on everyone's faces.

The victory banquet was definitely a vital occasion — even in the story Irene originally wrote. This day was a large step for Isabella - who would have met all the other nobles on this day. It was also the day Mikael would be introduced to high society - and Irene was aware that he would need to leave a good impression this time.

But most importantly - the day of the banquet would spark Daniel's character development - an essential part of the story which Irene needed to ensure would happen. And Isabella played a fundamental role in that.

As of now, Daniel was still a cowardly child living in the shadow of the adults who controlled him. It was only after Isabella gave him a push in the right direction, that the Prince finally gained the confidence he needed to change, and took the first step towards becoming a brave and reliable ruler.

This is no joke. Daniel's character development could hugely impact Laydel as an empire... Irene thought, as she sat in the library beside her study room. Gazing down at her scribbled notes about the original story, she tried to list things about the day that could potentially change. Since the reality she existed in now no longer aligned with the story she once wrote, Irene figured it would be better to try and predict the possible outcomes of the events rather than just sitting and waiting for them to happen.

I have to make sure the conversation happens between Daniel and Isabella, or Laydel is more or less doomed. They just need to be alone in the palace gardens. As she wondered about how to do this, a frantic voice suddenly called out to her from behind - and Irene turned to see Snow flying toward her at full speed.

"Sprout! Listen, I just saw something seriously suspicious!" He told her - and from the tone of his voice - it seemed he wasn't joking around. Irene blinked, gently shutting the notebook and turning to face him as he perched onto the high-back chair opposite her.

"What is it?" She asked.

"You see... It's about that maid. You know, the one who came here with Mikael," he started, those beady eyes locking onto her own as he prepared himself for his next words. "I was leisurely sleeping on your bed earlier, until that woman walked in out of nowhere. From the looks of it, she sneaked her way into your chamber, and since your wing of the manor is pretty empty, no one was around to see her come in, except me."

"She came and stole that new necklace from your dressing table. I got suspicious so I followed her out of the room, thinking she was going to go hide it among her things," Snow paused. "...But instead, she sneaked into Mikael's room and put it inside his unworn clothes."

Irene stared at her phoenix in bewilderment, the look of disbelief on her face leaving Snow to wonder how she would take this. But thankfully, the girl didn't seem too phased or upset about this - and instead brought a hand up to her chin in deep thought.

"Ms Cather... I knew that maid had something off about her, but why would she do something like that...?" Irene wondered, unable to comprehend the woman's reasons.

As she glanced up at Snow, Irene raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure this is what you saw?"

He nodded his little head vigorously. "There's no way I would have got it wrong! Do you really think I'd misunderstand? She did it right in front of me, but she couldn't see or feel me on her shoulder, of course."

That's true, Snow isn't the type to joke about this kind of thing...

And since no one can see him, he can go up and watch them from super close.

Irene frowned, her brows knitting together as she gazed at the white bird with a stern look in her eyes. "What did the clothes look like?" She asked him.

"It was a navy waistcoat. She put it in the left pocket." He told her.

Irene nodded her head. "I want you to keep a close eye on Ms Cather. Something is definitely fishy here." She instructed, to which the spirit nodded his head in understanding. He then flapped his wings, and hurried out of the room to start surveilling the old woman until something of notice happened.

Irene always thought Ms Cather was someone who Mikael brought with him out of trust. The princes never had any of the maids accompany them in the original novel, to their new homes - despite being given the option to. So Irene surmised something happened differently which made Mikael decide to take a maid with him, after all.

The only way for that to happen was if Mikael gave permission, there was no other way around it.

As Irene started to decipher the reasons why Ms Cather would steal Irene's jewels and then put them in Mikael's clothes - she came up with two possible answers.

There was a chance that Mikael was being exploited, and soon to be framed for stealing Irene's jewels. If that was the case, it was possible Ms Cather was plotting something against him - as an extreme Daniel supporter.

On the other hand - Mikael could have instructed the maid to retrieve the jewels from Irene's room and take it to him. Although this felt unlikely, Irene remembered how his character was in the original novel. A villain who would have no trouble stealing an item or two, regardless of who his target was.

There's only one way for me to find out which is the truth, she thought, setting down her pen. If Mikael got caught with the necklace, then it would be clear Ms Cather had something against him. And if he got away undetected, it would mean the two were colluding. Irene refused to believe in the latter - but a part of her was still in doubt.

If Mikael turns out fine... It's possible he's been playing with me this whole time.

He's capable of something like that.

All Irene needed to do was wait for Mikael to wear the navy waistcoat Snow mentioned. The day he put that on, would be the day she got her answer.

Please, Mikael... Please don't turn out to be a villain...

She frowned, her hands balling into fists.

   I'll protect you, so please don't turn against me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3K 225 7
Lilian a young, beautiful, genius successful woman from the 23rd century dies in an accidental accident. Being granted with a second chance from the...
480K 15.7K 151
Genre: Space, Doting, Farming, Time travel, Healing Synopsis: Xu Linyue from the 21st century crossing over with the heavenly space soul penetration...
71.9K 1.7K 56
ęˆ‘å°±ęƒ³ē¦»äøŖ婚[重ē”Ÿ] status: 56 chapters ( complete ) author: Lian Shuo Before he was reborn, Ye Fei was conscientious and diligent, with only work in his eye...
279K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...