Contact Alpha, A story of sci...

Af NickolegKeiige

The United Star of Gaia, an advanced space faring human civilization comes across a fantasy like planet in th... Mere

Falling From Heaven
The Descent
Tango Hit
Battle Against The Beast
Unfated Resurrection
Hidden Objectives
Resurrected
It begins
Second contact
Crash landed
New land
The Divine skit
Horrors unveiled
Operation Plunder
Extra chapter 1 - Info and exposition
I started drawing
Divine Skit 2
Operation Plunder (2)
Sir Director

Cross-galactic interaction

2.2K 70 24
Af NickolegKeiige

She smiles, a kind and gentle smile befitting a mother figure. Then she extends her hand toward the wooden structure, inviting me and my team to her homely abode. Her husband turns away from his elder daughter and say something to her but she disregards him. She then place her hand in front of her chest, looks at the visor where my eyes is and give me another gentle smile.

"Aluria, Aluria Fies Hieright."

To say that I am not surprised to hear such a name is untrue. It is a beautiful name, no doubt. But to see that an entirely different alien species can bear such a human name. I was expecting something that sounds more...alien like. I guess I have been watching too many old movies. Then again this new alien species looks and sounds exactly like the human species so who knows.

"Seems like we got a pass. Alias for intro?"

I turn my head slightly to the side and communicate with my team in a silent voice, then wait for their respond. After about a second Kai turns to me and silently nod. So I look back at Aluria.

"Chief."

I point to my chest and respond, then to each of my squadmates.

"Mont, Kai, Deman, Doc, Comman."

Each person raise their hand and wave or simply nod as I introduce them. Also Comman is a new alias I have just come up with for Miller, our intelligent and communication specialist sergeant. And with that concludes our first ever proper cross species greeting and introduction. Truly a historical moment. To me and members of Talon at least, maybe other survivors out there are making contact with aliens as we speak and has already taken that historical moment. So far no communication has been made with anyone, even with the hopefully still in-orbit corvette up there. We have been trying but up until now not a single signal was received. Which I find quite unusual since escape pods are made with some of the most powerful distress signals when incidents like this happen. Some of the more expensive pods out there can emit signals so strong you can detect it even if you are at the rim of the star system. It might be because nobody survived the incident, hence no communications. But that is the most improbable scenario, I saw many escaped successfully. Although I don't want to fear for the worst, it is still one of the many possibilities. I brush away those negative thoughts and focus into the immediate tasks.

Aluria acknowledged each of us with a light bow, then turn around and hastily walks to the wooden structure, so the whole team follows with Elaa trailing alongside her injured sister. While walking she speaks something to her husband and he dash off to the other side of the cottage.

As we pass through the entrance, me and my team has to crouch down a bit to avoid bumping our head against the top of the door. I order Kai and Mont to be sentry so they stay outside and keep watch, especially Mont because we would need to destroy the whole door frame just for him to squeeze fit.

As I step inside the house, a strange feeling immediately invades me. The environment around me looks warm and is quite homely. I personally have never been inside a wooden structure for my entire life. So far so you could say this is a first time experience. And of course, it is truly a unique one at that. Everything is made out of wood, the dining table and chairs, the bowl, plates and cup, the shelves and wardrobes. Golden sparkles of sunlight slither though the cracks on the walls and shines throughout the rooms, illuminating patches of dust particles floating randomly in mid air. The bickering amber from the recently used stove, the tasty looking pot of soup residing on top of a counter. An alien yet very familiar sensation floods my feelings, beyond my suit's various visual and audio censors, strange but welcoming indeed.

We pass through the kitchen and the dining room, having to move some furniture aside to make way for the stretcher. I then give out some orders to Deman and Miller. Muting the suit's external audio system so that my voice won't reach outside, I speak through the comm.

"Miller go and get research, get me their language asap. Deman go and see if we can contact anyone or anything, also I want eyes and ears all over. We'll all stay within this property for now, don't get spotted by other locals. I'll update soon."

And with that, Deman and Miller split off while me and Doc continue to follow Aluria upstairs. Miller will be conducting research on the local cultures, language, society, geography, basically any information regarding their civilization. Deman will try to set up communications and contact either the corvette or any other survivors. He will also send out monitoring and scouting devices across Site A to watch over the place.

The old looking wooden planks underneath our feet groan in a very unsettling manner as me and Doc carefully traverse the stair. It is a miracle that this staircase which looks to be at least several decades old managed to hold out the weigh of two massive super soldiers and our gear. I wonder if we can still safely make the trip back down the stair later. Nevertheless we make it up to some sort of attic bedroom.

The furniture inside is rather simple, just two blanketed straw beds, a bedside table in between with an unlit candle on top of it and a wardrobe. There are several empty buckets with towels and brooms sitting in one corner of the room, probably for hygiene purposes. The room is quite clean with a minimal amount of dirt covering the floor and the wall. It carries the same warm and homely sensation just like the rest of the house. And judging by the placement of the furniture as well as a few decorations dotting the wall, this is most likely the two daughters room.

Aluria go to one of the beds and clean it, putting away pieces of garments and pillows. We then slowly and carefully place the stretcher on the bed. Doc then put down his pack and begin setting up his medical equipment, I also put my pack into a corner of the room and proceed to assist him with his tasks.

"We need to change her bandage and refill the gel in her wound. All of the movements had reopened the wound and the gel, she is bleeding." Doc examined her and begin taking out fresh bandages along with packs of medical gel. This prompt me to look closer to the section beneath her and sure enough, the bandage has turned red.

"Gotta flip her around, I'll take the top." Deman moves to her upper body and grab her shoulder. I grab her thighs and we both gently flip her around so her back faces upward. We move as carefully as possible but she still lets out some painful groans, looks like the morphine and pain killers have ran out. As we were moving her my suit's audio picks up some noises of people running up the stairs. I turn my head to look and it's the little sister Elaa bringing in some fresh towels followed by the father holding two buckets filled with water. Aluria then says something to her husband and he retreats back downstairs.

The next half an hour or so we spend removing the dirty bandages, cleaning up the wound and her body. Then we administer her some meds to ease the pain and prevent further infections or other potential diseases. Doc checked and made sure that the chemicals don't harm her in any way, they are intended for human after all. Aluria and Elaa tried their best to assist us during the operation. Then we reapply the medical gel or slime as the soldiers call it and bandage her up. Finally we put her to sleep belly down. As Doc was cleaning his equipment I decide to go check up on the other so I leave him upstairs and proceed to the first floor, with Aluria following behind me.

"Chief speaking, Doc is done. Patient is stabilized, all is good. Deman, anything?"

"Negative Chief, no signals whatsoever. Sending some of our own doesn't work too. Something is blocking signals."

That is rather curious. Someone is jamming our signals? Who? And more importantly how?

"Is it deliberate?"

"Negative, not really deliberate, not even someone or something. It's just...jammed, blocked."

Something is not right, of course there is. There's always something that is not right.

"Keep at it then, update me when something comes up."

"Afirm."

Next is to check on Mont and Kai who have been watching the perimeter.

"Anything outside?"

A few seconds later, a French accented answer replies.

"Non, Chief. Zero contacts, no visitors. Pretty calm out here."

"Scenery looks lovely out here, Chief, just like those old paintings inside museums in London. Nice settlement. The place is already out and about. They're out in the fields doing farming or trading and such. No body has noticed us yet."

Checking sentry is done, now it's Miller's turn. He should be able to figure something out already. It's his specialty after all.

"Miller how is it?"

"All is good, sir. I managed to gather quite a bit of of intel from the husband about where we are. I've also managed to somewhat translate a small chunk of their language. It's surprisingly easy to crack. It's like a mix of several different dialects from our human languages. I'm sending my finding to all of Talons now."

A few seconds after Miller's report, a screen pops up on the right side of my visor containing some images and documents. The images depict what looks to be a photo of an old simple hand drawn map and the hastily produced documents details some information about the people, the culture, society and rough language translation dictionary. He is right, their language is not hard to learn. This much should be sufficient to hold some short and simple conversations. Regarding geography, it seems like we are in a nation called the Kingdom of Shandia, Site A is a village called Mildo village. It's located on the western side of the kingdom and is near the border between Shandia and another nation called Stilwood, which is on the north of Shandia.

"Well I'm coming downstairs to meet you anyway. Also Deman, how's the mapping?"

He responds almost immediately.

"Very good so far. Uploading regional maps now."

A new map appears on my visor detailing the landscape of the region. Site A is in the very middle, up to 27 structures surrounded by fields. Forests wraps around the village on all side except for the north where there is a small clearing of grassland. A small river cuts through the forest and runs from the north east to south east of Site A, half a click away. The settlement is accessible mainly from the two roads that leads to and out of it near the northern grassland, the road on the north-eastern side comes with a bridge over the small river. Further along the two roads there are grassy hills everywhere with very loose formations of trees. But every other directions including west, south and east coming from Site A is just full of forests. The map also contains the location of the drop pod in the middle of the woods on the far west of Site A, that's where we came from.

After walking out of the stairway I join up with Miller who is in a discussion with the husband in the dining room, there are multiple pieces of papers and maps on the dining table.

"Things are going fine I presume?"

Miller stops his conversation and turns his head to face me.

"Yes, sir. We were kinda sus to him at first but after a bit of talking he his more relaxed now. Still giving me the weird look every now and then but he has been helping me catching up. With the info and stuff."

The man looks at me and put his hand on his chest.

[Greeting, Horace Fies Hieright]

Looks like he is introducing himself. Well, it would be impolite if I don't return the introduction, wouldn't it? So I scan through the file Miller sent me earlier and construct a viable sentence on the spot using my accelerated thought processors.

[Greeting, nice meeting you. The name's Chief. Just...Chief]

Horace eyes goes wide while his eyebrows lift up for a bit in surprise. Probably wondering how I managed to grasp his language so quickly. Well we have all of the mind upgrades, modifications and numerous supercomputers shoved into our skulls to thank for that quick learning capability.

[You people learn fast. Also that is a strange name. Where do you all come from?]

Can't really tell them we've just dropped from a space station, can't I? The people here don't look like they even know the world they live in is spherically shaped, much less the concept of space. Like ancient Earth human thousands of years ago. Beside this whole operation is a covert one. Unofficial, but covert.

[We come from a very faraway land, we got lost in the woods while travelling.]

[That is much more reasonable. My younger daughter Elaa told me you people came down from the heaven as emissaries of the deities to save her and Evaa.]

So she probably saw us entering the atmosphere using the emergency drop pod. Can't blame her really, we came to her rescue in the most desperate of situation. Besides, she is still a child. So it makes her story less believable to adult, hopefully.

Aluria suddenly walks pass us to get to the kitchen, probably making breakfast for her family. She overheard our conversation and chimes in.

[I would honestly believe Elaa's story, my dear. They did save our daughters life.] She finishes her sentence with her usual kind and cheery smile. Then continues on towards the kitchen.

[We are just lost travelers who were simply at the right place at the right time, that's all.]

That was obviously not enough to fully convince him. That looks of doubt has been painted on his face ever since we first made contact.

[Would you mind if I ask what your race be called? Your partner here has been evading many questions. You all are as tall as orges but are obviously not. And your attire...your armor looks very strange.]

This is what I was concerned about. According to the data that Miller has managed to gather, there are multiple different intelligent species on this planet. And we all look like none of them. We are too big and our suits probably looks like nothing they have ever seen before. But since they are farmers in a small village, in a very medieval looking era, they might not know a lot about their world, just like their counterpart in our human history. We may be able to fool them into thinking that we are just a species that they don't know of.

[We are Terrans. We are a race of people hailing from another continent across the ocean. We are currently on a trip to travel the world to learn and discover. These are our traditional attire and armor.]

There are multiple continents on Sarir-B so this sounds very believable to a farming peasant. And as if answering my hope, the slight tension that has constantly been on his face is now completely gone. Replaced by a cheerful attitude.

[Well bless me, we have foreign visitors coming from across the great Blue. It is a blessing to have you here, travelers from afar]

He then put up his right fist and hold it vertically while looking at me smiling, seems like he's awaiting something from me. Before I even have time to be confused, Miller's voice is heard from comm.

[Sir that is how they greet. I've observed some other locals doing it to each other outside. Apparently you fist bump vertically to politely greet each other. But you hold contact after touching fists for few seconds. Like how we do handshakes.]

I was dumbfounded for a split second after hearing that, then I remember that Horace is awaiting my fist so I bump my fist with him and hold it for a moment. Both of us lightly shake our fists up and down for a bit while nodding at each other.

What I did was probably the first ever fist bump with an alien in the entirety of mankind history. And it had to be a fist bump, of all things. But from their perspective it's just a normal polite greeting exchange, it's part of their culture obviously.

We spend our time conversing with each other, all is good. Horace asks us a lot of questions regarding our 'home' on the other continent oversea. Aluria occasionally voices in her questions as well from the kitchen area. Me and Miller have to respond to the couple with made up answers from time to time or just outright avoid some of their questions. We also use this opportunity to practice our ability to speak Shandian, I turn on comm as well so that the rest of Talon can share the conversations and learn the language. As we were having a pleasant time just chatting about, Deman voice in comm suddenly interferes.

"Chief, update."

There is clear concern in his voice. So I mute the suit's external audio and answer.

"Miller keep the conversation on you. Deman, go on."

Miller then replaces me and continue the chatter with the family.

"We have a signal, just a single one."

A signal? Finally, but why only one?

"Direction?"

"East, far east. Very far."

"Type?"

"Distress, signal is extremely weak but voices are coming through, frequencies match standard station type. It's likely Athena."

Athena? How did it survive? Crashing all the way from that height would have surely destroyed it completely. Unless it didn't.

"Is it still up there?"

"No, signal's on the ground"

So the Athena is on the ground, probably not in one piece but not in a million pieces either. And someone is on it trying to broadcast this signal. How did it survive the fall? And how are there people still inside of it? Nevertheless, we have a new objective.

[Excuse me for a moment, I need to go and meet up with my friends outside. It was a pleasant talking with you. Comman, let's go]

Aluria put down the steaming pot of soup next to some wooden bowl and a plate of bread then speaks out from the kitchen counter.

[It would be a blessing if you and your friends share breakfast with us. It's not a lot but we would like to repay you somehow.]

She kindly offers us breakfast. But I have to decline, for many reasons. One we don't really need to eat now, we've just had our breakfast on the transport ship. Two, we don't know the effect of these alien nutrition substances and what they can do to a human digestive system. Three, we are in a hurry right now.

[It is very kind of you ma'am, but we've already had breakfast earlier. So I must decline your kind offer. We thank you nonetheless.]

We leave the couple in the dining room and proceed outside. Once again ducking down to pass through the small door frame. As I walk outside I hear shuffling noises coming from above so I look up and spot Kai sitting on the roof in camouflage, observing the village center. Further out in the field I can see Mont sitting next to a hay stack with hay covering all over him.

"Ok, Talons listen up. Open Deman's regional map on your visor. We have a new objective. As you have already heard from Deman. We received a signal from the far east most likely emitted by the Athena station. No idea how it survived or how there are still folks on it but it is our only beacon to follow now. Something is preventing our signals to reach out or receiving others, so it might be the reason for the absent of signals from our people out there and our inability to contact USSS Antlion. I assume strong signals like those emitted from stations or on similar scale can still be received down here. But that assumption can be false, we have no way to confirm. Anyway, our new objective is to head towards the signal, Deman have somewhat zeroed in on it and has a rough estimation of its location. Once we are done here we pack up and head back into the forests where we came from and do a hook wrapping around the southern side of Mildo all the way to the west away from the locals eye. We'll maintain low profile and covert status. We'll rendezvous with any stray signals on the way. No body would likely believe the story about us from this family, hopefully. I'll go check up on Doc. Deman clean up, Kai, Mont keep sentry till further update. Miller go and ask the couple further info, tell them we need advice to travel further into Shandia as visitors, also ask if they have spare cloaks. We'll go when the family is busy having breakfast."

And with that my squad begin moving, the donut drone flies over head and make a dash to the west side of the village, no doubt scouting ahead. Miller heads back into the dinning room. I go upstairs into the daughters room. Doc is sitting beside the sleeping Evaa cleaning up his medical equipment and packing his gear. Elaa has already gone downstairs to join her parents in breakfast.

"We good here?"

"Ya, Chief. Just leaving some note behind for the family to take care of her." Doc said as he clumsily scribble the new alien language down into a piece of paper, stopping occasionally to probably check up on the translation on his visor. As expected, Doc's kindness extends all the way to aliens. Well to be fair these 'aliens' do look exactly like humans so I guess sympathy can be easily transpired.

"Alright, group up near the back door once you're done."

I then get a notice on my visor. I open it up and the camera feed from Deman or in other word his point of view is projected on the corner of the screen. Looks like he has just received the cloaks from the family, several pieces of fabric reside on his hand.

"They do have some cloaks, Chief. But these are too small for us."

They do seems small, of course they are small. They are made to fit the small locals, not us gigantic super soldiers. I examine the cloaks on his hand, noting it's materials, composition, patterns and colors. I then scan around the room and suddenly an idea strikes me.

"Miller return these cloaks to them, I have an idea."

After Miller makes his way downstairs, Doc turns to me and ask.

"So what is this idea of yours?"

I stare at the other vacant bed, belonging to the other daughter, Elaa.

"They are not going to really need sheets and blankets in this hot season now do they?"

.

..

...

I look back at the old wooden cottage, light from the twin suns paints it in a golden tint. The light spread to the fields surrounding the house, turning them into oceans of waving golds. This image along with what has been happening up until now will surely stick with me for the rest of my life, and I'm sure I can say the same for the other Talon members. Just like what I told my team in the pod, whatever will happen from here on out will be the highest peak point of our entire career as combatants.

"Alright, we good?"

I ask everyone through comm, we are now on the edge of the forest, just a few more steps and we will be covered by dense foliage. Everyone nods without saying a word.

I take a glance at the cottage one last time. It has been a short but extremely interesting interaction. That was a lovely family as well, I wonder if I will ever be able to meet them again in the future. Who knows, only time will tell. But for now, we have a new objective to follow, a new destination to reach. We must continue forward on our journey in this alien world.

"Let's go"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"We are sorry for the petty theft but we are kind of falling short on many things right now. So we will be borrowing your sheets along with blankets. If we ever meet again in the future, we will surely return everything by then so don't worry. Thank you for understanding and please don't be mad - Chief"

-Note on bedside table-

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

388 2 15
In the year 3230, after The Second Big Bang, Captain Gaia, together with doctor Westy Wood decide to start a space organization that would save the s...
1.4K 118 40
Through thick and thin the Law shall prevail. A new sense of purpose awaits us, children of light, in the land where it all began. The darkness in wh...
4.7K 150 14
[Story under heavy WIP, feedback very greatly appreciated. Title and description subject to constant changes.] "You never know what you truly have un...
91 3 1
"We don't have a Caretaker. We have a Creationeer. And we love her." ~Humanity. We think we're from here, but are we really? What happened to us befo...