Barbara's Book of Fire

By Sovrano88

'Kill her! Hang her!' 'Heed the promise and kill the demon's child!' 'She will curse and swallow us down to o... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue

Chapter 28

1 2 0
By Sovrano88

Dear Barbara,

It's been almost a week gone since you left for the academy, yet I could not find it in my heart to hold myself back any longer from writing to you—despite the constant reminder from Anthony. Before you get bored and toss my letter away, I wanted to apologize because I might ramble a lot in this letter, dear.

How are you doing there, my love? I suppose things might not go as smoothly as I prayed it to be. Please talk to Hilda in case anything bad happens to you, or if someone is bothering you—She will keep you safe.

I heard that you are in the same room with young Becca? She's a good lady, that one, and it's a huge relief that she took after her father rather than her Mother; just don't call her Becca, and you are clear to go. I seemed to recall that she was annoyed whenever her friends called her by that name, so you might want to take caution in that regard.

Are you eating well there? From what I recall, the house's food was good, but just in case it did not suit your palate, you can find one of those students who had little dealings outside the academy. It's befuddling how they can smuggle so many snacks and strange things into Troph. If you need money for the billing, then just leave it in my name, you can do just that, and you don't have to hold yourself back, my dear.

How about your study? Even though I know you're a smart girl, it doesn't mean that everything will come off easily. Everything will feel different and strange, with lots of new things that you have to remember and take notice of...Merely thinking how hard it will be, makes me want to go there even at this instant when I can only give you this letter that will soon turn cold. And that often makes me lose my sleep.

My dear, do you remember what you said on the day of your departure? When you said I could ask Anthony about your past. Had I known earlier about all the things you've been through, I would have done more to you, cooked lots of delicious and warm food, hugged you tighter than ever, and gave you kisses should night come in place of your precious parents. I regretted that there was no courage left within me to ask you sooner instead of spending my night in tears after I came to learn everything.

But more so than my regrets, I am thankful for the mere fact that you have come into our life—Again, just for that, I can not thank The Great Mother enough. Sorry for the smudges, my dear. I've always been a crybaby ever since my young age, and Hilda always teased me back when we were children because of that. It's just you remind me so much of my late friend...and that breaks my heart deeply.

Before this letter is doused further by the tears, I will talk about something else for my own good. How's FIltiarn and Ouranos? I know Filtiarn usually follows you around, so I have no worries about him, but I want to remind you about Ouranos. As he is an Aetos, it will be better for you to spend more time with him in his much younger days—because raising the affinity with an adult Aetos will be a whole load harder. You don't have to play with him every day, but now and then, just take him to fly around the academy for a while, and it will do the job. And also, don't forget to give him a treat while you're at it. I specially made them with his taste in mind, so Ouranos'll be sure to relish them.

By the way, our Sarah kept asking about you and Filtiarn. When will you come, where are you, what are you doing. The same goes for that husband of mine. He was worried about how you're faring the life there, although he didn't show it because he was clearly embarrassed. Anthony can be that adorable and silly sometimes. All of us miss you dearly and can't wait for the next break when you come home. But first thing first, I think we will be delighted if there's a reply back to this letter...

There are more things I've wanted to ask since a while ago, but now that I am writing this, I can't seem to think of anything anymore. But above all, I hope there will be fewer things that hurt you in any kind of way—I hope when you are hurt, you will cry without having anything binding down your heart. I hope that never again in your life will the tears dry out on your cheeks. Cry, and I will cry with you. I will cry until my tears dry in place of you, my love. Because you are precious to me—you are precious to us.

Forgive me for all the mess. I might actually cry a bucket should I continue to write. So, despite not wanting to, it seems I have to finish it here. Don't skip your meals, drink lots of fluids, and don't push yourself by training too much; I know you are anxious about the future, but I pray that you won't burn yourself out in the present...Get a lot of rest, wash your teeth, and don't forget to comb your hair even though you find them a hassle. You are still a lady—And a very beautiful one at that, Barbara. So, please do take care of yourself more.

May the love and grace of The Great Mother find you in warm and cold times, and always remember that you, my child, my dearest—You are loved.

With Love, Bria Yifa.

PS. I hope you can make some friends there.

***

Tears were flowing, sticky-unending snots drenched my nose, and a tight lump of meat that seemed to appear out of nowhere clogged my narrowed throat; it was a mess. It seriously turned into a wet-sticky mess when I finished reading Bria's letter. If anything, I was just glad that I managed to hold back the impulse to open and read that letter the minute I received it.

As a result, the embarrassing sight I could not control was perceived only by the three girls inside the room. Though I knew Rebecca and Lia were not the types to intentionally tease someone over and over again because of something, it didn't mean the same to the goofy Anya. But then again, I was incapable of addressing the issue at that time.

I was busy holding myself from crying a river on the bed, blowing my nose repeatedly to defeat the horrendous liquid that ravaged my snout. Stifling all the hiccups, moans, and wails was the best I could afford to hope—though I failed miserably in all those corners.

It was unclear whether it was one or two hours later that I finally managed to calm myself down, but it was far past breakfast time, and the girls had found themselves back in the room with my eyes all puffed up.

"You're done cr—Huh? where are you going?" Anya's mischievous visage turned bland when I passed by her.

"I'm taking Ranos and Fil for a walk." A curt and simple reply.

"But we're going to talk about the library..." Anya rebutted.

"I know. I'll be back before lunch—You can fill me in later." Then I looked at Lia and Rebecca, who were left standing mutely. "See ya later, guys."

True to her character Rebecca nodded slightly in return, leaving Lia's bubbly voice echoing softly in the long hallway. "See you later, Barbara."

"Let's go." Rebecca prompted.

Time flew by, and soon the moment came where our elongated puzzling adventure was to be resumed.

On the way to the library, Anya kept pestering Lia to sing along with her, drawing Rebecca's ire at them, not even sparing the poor Lia, who was just stuck in a hard place. Meanwhile, I had different things in mind as I nudged Freya in the arm.

"Hm? Wut?" Lazily, Freya asked.

'Wut? What kind of—Hah...Well, no matter.' Realizing that it would only be my loss should I continue down that path, I directed my mind toward the topic I had in mind.

"Freya, do you know the kinds of people who can bring stuff here, inside the academy? You know, like snacks or other things."

"Bring stuff? Snacks and other things?" Freya paused a couple of seconds before her mind clicked. "Ah, you mean the store? Yea, I know of 'em."

"They called it the store? Well, no matter. Is it reliable? I mean, can they cheat us or something like that?" I inquired to the trusted gossip box further.

"Cheat you!?" Freya suddenly shouted, jolting each of us in place. "What jets are you singing here, Miss Travis."

Before I could even utter an explanation to the others, Freya began to dramatically narrate. "T'was founded a year ago, starting from smuggling—Ahem! I mean selling,"

'Sure...selling it is then.' I was replying sarcastically inside when Freya comically tried to sugarcoat her words.

"The store began its journey by selling a well-known candy, sought after by children and adults alike—Diatiro. Then it began to expand madly in every variety of fields that a magician could ever think to dab their hands to. And like they say, You name it, We bring it. Whatever you want, you can ask them at a price."

I frankly didn't know what to say after the overly enthusiastic presentation by Freya other than a simple question.

"Why do you know so much? Don't tell me—" Still a bit unsure, my voice trailed off in doubt.

"Yeap!" Freya's eyes sparkled bright, renouncing Ilios's light to dim in shame.

"No, way. Are you really...?" I was all the more confused, seeing Freya's quaint-like benign smile.

"Yes, freaking way. The one and only." She extended her arm around my shoulder, hiding us from the girls' line of sight. "So, what are you looking for, my esteemed customer?"

If all else, it only felt like I was about to get scammed, but I didn't bother to tell Freya how shady she appeared, albeit the generous bearing she tried hard to portray. I always knew her to be a bizarre kid since we first talked, but Freya seriously had a lot to offer to leave me speechless in place.

"There's this artifact, you see? The one that paints the sight we want." A bit hesitant, but I described the artifact I remembered all the same.

"Ah, that one?" Freya was all smiles and nodding up and down, clearly enjoying it a bit too much. "Of course, I can do that. You name it, we bring it. Which one do you want, Five thousand? Or maybe two thousand?"

'What the heck is she talking about?' I escaped Freya's inviting gaze to Filtiarn on the side.

Just to be sure, I asked her. "Care to explain, Freya? I'm not exactly experienced in this."

"Five thousand one is the best one. With exclusively a thousand Foros, you will feel like you're reliving the moment. Every detail and color will be indispensable for the trip down the memory lane, am I right? So, say no more and—"

I had to raise up my hand and stop her before she blabbered any further.

"Five thousand Foros?" Big and wide were my eyes.

"Only the best and the biggest." Freya proudly replied.

'Five fricking thousand Foros!? Damn girl!' I cursed her silently inside. "How big is the thing we're talking about here?"

"Hm..." With a finger stroking her invincible beard, Freya looked upward. "A bit bigger than a regular-sized painting...so three feet wide, four feet tall, or vice-versa, I suppose."

'Aw, hell no! Ranos couldn't even lift the damn thing then. No-no.' It definitely wasn't because of how expensive it was—definitely wasn't.

"The one I saw was just a tad bigger than my palm. That's the one that I had in mind." I studied her expression slowly as I said it. "Can you get them?"

"Pah! Surely you jest, dear customer." Freya scoffed and then smirked proudly afterward. "Like I said—You name it, We bring it."

Seeing that my embarrassing gesture didn't get caught by her, I sighed in relief and asked. "How much is it?"

Freya held four fingers up in the air, then she declared. "Four hundred."

"Damn, it's so expensive." I heaved in frustration.

"It's actually three and fifty on the market, but I gotta pay the man in between, don't I?" Freya shrugged her shoulders. "If you don't have any Foros on you, want me to bill it to aunt Bria for you?"

"Um...No, thanks." I declined her. 'It'd be pretty embarrassing because I actually want to surprise her with that.'

"Then just borrow some." Determined to not let me go, Freya suggested again.

"Borrow? From who?" I could feel that it was a lure she cast, yet my tongue moved before the feeling fully sank in.

Thankfully enough, before Freya completely caught me in her underlying scheme, a fluffy angel came to my rescue.

"Me-Me! I'll loan you the Foros. How much do you need?" Desperate as a Kerato on a cliff, Lia cried out. "Please...?" She added.

"I...need...a hundred and eighty—" Baffled by her actions, I squinted in confusion. 'What is up with her?'

"I'll let you borrow them, okay? Just please-please keep me away from Anya for today?" Lia grabbed and clung to my arm. "I'm scared, Barbara...." She whispered.

When I saw Rebecca, I finally knew why Lia was so scared. Finally snapped from Anya's stupid song, Rebecca gave an encouraging pep talk that was even colder than the winter itself. Rather, it was ironic remembering that she was, in fact, a fire magician in the first place.

Without thinking too much, I grabbed my savior's hand and agreed in joy. "Thanks, Lia. I promise I'll return it as fast as I can, and also—I'll be your loyal bodyguard for today. I'll block Anya for you."

"Tsk..." It was really low, and she tried to conceal it, but I definitely caught Freya clicking her tongue before she turned to us with the brightest smile there was. "A pleasure to be doing business with you."

I wanted to tease her, but when I saw how shameless she was at keeping her face thick, I knew I was bound to lose should I confront her about it.

"Why's the name, The Store, though?" Thus, I changed the topic.

"The simplest sticks the best, won't you say?" She smirked and tapped her temple twice.

'I kinda want to whoop that face, Fil.' I confessed inwardly.

"You wanna punch her, right?" As if she could read my mind, Anya suddenly appeared from the side. "You just wanna punch that smirk right into the oblivion, ain't you?

"Are you guys done?" Rebecca asked, paying not even an ounce of mind to Anya's annoying mug. "We're here. Let's go over what we will do for the last time."

We huddled in the corner just as the sight of the library's mesmerizing entrance stood in sight.

"When we go in, I will wander around to ensure the sigils are active. Barbara and Lia will be reading on the academics and history aisle. Freya will be on the second floor, and lastly, Anya...." Rebecca paused and winked at Anya. "Just make sure to be around where I can easily find you."

"I'll be on your shadow, cap'n." Anya saluted sternly.

"...Forget it...I don't even want to try..." Rebecca then dispiritedly looked over each of us. She especially lingered for a couple of seconds longer on Lia and Anya, making a complete sure for the two to stay on their toes. "When the time comes, I will give you all the signals we agreed on for all of us to go hide. If you forget where the hiding spots are, better ask now."

"Last one..." Her gaze landed on me. "Is Ferrisa ready to go?"

"All set and itching to go," I replied firmly.

"Okay, good." Rebecca drew a deep breath. "Let's find the hidden library and beat the legends, shall we?"

***

There were two main issues in regards to our operation. First, we had to hide when the library's closing time was due. Second, we needed the diversion to bypass the helpers making round at the end, and it was not like there was a hole somewhere in the library that we could take advantage of. Thus, we decided to make that hole ourselves. That's where Ferrisa would come in—to be the hole we would exploit...

The plan was simple, we hid before the closing round started, and then Ferrisa would make a ruckus in front of the entrance, disturbing and long enough for us to safely switch places. 

After a long discussion between Anya and Freya, they finally agreed on a place and also the safest route to trick the library's proctors or staff. That being said, we stuck and went on with the plan. 

It ain't easy-peasy just as I expected, because Lia wasn't exactly the best actress as we all knew. I swear to Myrna, she was being so paranoid and jittery that even a random student might've thought whether she had constipation or something. It was so hilarious, truth be told.

Anywho, we went and hid on one of the desolate corners in the library till the moment came for us to switch into the temporary hideouts. Filtiarn gave the signal to the distant Ferrisa, who had been hiding outside, to take action. Soon after, a huge alarm went off in the whole library.

The tranquil and serene library had never been more suffocating. With Filtiarn in front, all of us followed him from behind—Carefully treading as to not make any sounds and, to some, even breathing too loud—Of course, I was talking about the infamously jumpy Lia.

Praised to be The Goddess, we arrived safely at the planned spot without arousing suspicion from any of the wandering librarians. When enough time had passed, and with no hint of us getting caught, Filtiarn once again took the stage. And when we got the go from him, we made our way to the four sigils and traced our footsteps until aligned straight with them. 

What we saw then was a spectacle that was nothing short but hypnotizing.

The dark-blue hue that appeared as if it had just been born out of darkness itself were intertwining with the everlasting scarlet ray, ever so slowly moving and dancing in-between, yet indefinitely disappearing into the perpetuity.

It was like claw marks, made of lights, tearing deep grievous wounds on the peaceful and suffocating darkness...Like a life that came to be only after death had bled empty.

There could not exist a more accurate metaphor other than that, I think.

"Keep your heads up, and don't move around." Maybe it was because she was the most level-headed out of us all. Rebecca quickly snapped release from the enchanting sight and reminded us.

With the four of us standing on top of the four sigils, a brand new sight had taken form after a while. A strange light came out of nowhere, enclosing the space. It sailed and turned into a radiant door that grandiosely stood in the middle just beside the frozen Freya—like the rest of us.

Surely, each of us had been excited to find the hidden library, which only existed in songs and whispers like what many of them said. But never did I think, what at first started because I thought it might be fun turned out to be something far more.

A door born out of the light and shadow that could only be described as nothing but divine. A flux of gentle and warm Revma swirled around it endlessly, as if it was an insatiable vortex that goes round and round forever. Not one of us had come out victorious in keeping our expressions collected—Not even the stoic Rebecca.

"H-hey, guys? Should I like...go in then?" Moments passed, and Freya asked hesitantly.

We simultaneously looked at the most reliable person we could think of in the group—Rebecca Skywing. She frowned, apparently distressed but then gave her answer. "Just to be safe...when you see what's inside there, go back here immediately."

"Okay..." Freya gulped and nodded. Her eyes fixed on the glimmering door. "I'm off then..."

The moment her fingertips touched the door, the fluttering light hovering above the door suddenly moved around as if it were alive. If it wasn't for Filtiarn, who noticed it, I doubt my eyes would ever move from Freya.

But as much as I would hope to warn the others in time, it tore itself into four balls of lights and dove to our chests. As the light nestled itself, unhindered by our flesh and bones, so did Freya vanish in front of us. Leaving us not only dumbfounded but riddled deep with panic and anxiety. What's with Freya's disappearance—to only Myrna knew where—and because of the balls of lights that we didn't even know jack-shit about, it really scared the hell out of me.

"Don't step away from the sigils! Check for any injury first..." Rebecca's timely command had at least made it a bit calming for me, and I felt gratified for that.

There was nothing wrong with us even after we checked it two or three times. No visible injury nor a strange feeling was found inside our Limni. But as they said, seeing was believing. Completely certain that those lights were indeed aiming at us, we were far from feeling safe. And to top it off, the absence of Freya even after we waited for a couple of minutes really didn't help at all.

"Hey, Becca. Something's wrong; I think we should go after Freya." Anya gravely said. Concern was visible in her tone.

Rebecca didn't immediately reply. Instead, she turned toward Lia and me.

"What do you guys think?" Asked Rebecca.

"I think one of us should go inside," Lia answered, her face turning grim as the seconds went by. "Maybe Anya—No-no, I'll go. I got these herbs, and if she's hurt, I can treat her even only a little."

At first, when we saw Lia preparing those herbs back in our room, not one of us took her seriously because it was not like we were going to fight or something. Anya even teased and pestered the poor girl about it. 

But then, with trembling hands like she was on the verge of bursting out with tears while grasping those herbs firmly, Lia said that it would be better for her to go inside in case Freya got hurt. I knew then that despite how smart and clever we believed ourselves to be, we were still just a few reckless kids who knew nothing at all.

"No, I don't think it's safe." I thrust out the lump of words that had been hardened out of my throat. "What if the door closes when one of us steps away from these sigils? Then Freya will be trapped!"

The second they heard the word trapped, Anya and Lia both gasped visibly in horror.

"I agree with Barbara too." Rebecca followed on. "But we can't just leave Freya there all alone. We need help, and the only one that can do it is not us...Barbara...?"

Realizing what she was getting unto, I nodded back. "I'll tell Fil to get the librarian—"

Just when I was about to tell Filtiarn to call for help, our eyes were drawn to the person who suddenly appeared in front of the mystical door. With her casual, playful smile, Freya stood there with fresh excitement plastered all over her face.

She must've found something spectacular on the other side, but what she failed to find when she got back was the very sight of our pissed-off to the damned hell faces.

"What took you so long, you crazy girl!? We were worried sick here!" Unexpectedly enough, the very first one to lash out was the girl whom I thought to be the most level-headed out of our group—Rebecca Skywing.

Dumbfounded, Freya put on the most innocent look and said, "I'm...Sorry...?"

"Hell yeah, you should be." Anya's sarcastic remarks came flying. "Look at what you have done to Lia there."

It was a freaking mess. Tears and snoot were mixing with the herbs in her hands, making it all green and sticky. It was a truly sticky mess.

'why this feels strangely familiar.' I giggled inside.

"So, what took you so long in there?" The questioning session began once again at Rebecca's cue.

"Oh, it was awesome! I bet you all will love it—Especially you, book-nerd Lia." Freya's eyebrows bobbed up and down, teasing the already baited Lia.

"Wait, wait!" Anya rebuked fervently. "Don't tell us. I wanna see them for myself—switch places with me, Freya."

"No, fair! Just no fair, Anya." Lia pouted from the side as her mood had already bounced back to the top. "I wanna go too. Let's go with Rock, paper, and scissors...Three times, winner takes all."

'What are you... an old gambler or something, Lia?' I chuckled softly, seeing their silly dispute unfolding pettily.

"Um...Why do I have to switch places with you guys again?" She then traced her eyes between Rebecca and me. "Care to elaborate to me?"

"We were afraid that if we stepped out from these sigils, the door might close off," I explained. "Now that you mention it—I don't know about you guys, but my body's all tense because of the whole fiasco earlier. Can I take some break away from these damn sigils now?"

"Huh? Just get off. It won't close off." Freya shooed a hand at me casually.

"How do you know that?" Anya's doubtful tone shot right in between.

"I know because I happened to read about it inside there, doofus." Annoyed, Freya rebutted. "Now stop being such a scaredy-cat and get your asses on that door already. Don't you all wanna see what's inside?"

Maybe because it was Freya who had said it, but neither of us had bought her words. Obviously enough, Freya's eyes and nostrils flared up in rage when she saw that. And the easiest target of us all, Lia—the unfortunate, was about to become the victim of excessive teasing and poking due to the severe lack of trust imposed on Freya.

"Woah, not on my watch, you will not." Like a knight in shining armor, I arrived and saved the damsel in distress from the witch's evil clutches. "I'll protect her to the last of my dying breath. Till the last drop of blood that coursed my very veins had—"

"What in the Holy Mother are you gibbering about, Barbara?" To my overly excited role performance, Freya looked like she was about to puke her guts out. "Anyway, see? Barbara is out, and the door ain't closing. So, let's just go!"

Only then did the rest of the girls finally move away from the sigils. Led by Freya, Lia and Anya made a beeline to the door. Rebecca was still examining the door while I was guessing with Filtiarn about what could possibly be the thing that entranced her so.

Honestly, I bet she didn't even notice that we were there while she was still squinting and frowning as she studied the door. Usually, I was never the type of a girl that liked to spoil someone's fun—And let's face it, Rebecca, despite all the variety of expressions, it was clear as the blinding sunny day that she was having fun. So, I would leave her alone on her own devices if I could.

But then, the situation begged to differ. A low-deep growl and a silent call of warning rang out both in my ears and inside my soul. Filtiarn's furs stood on its tip's end, baring his fangs sharply at the person blanketed by the darkness's fold.

"Becca," I whispered sternly, as my eyes didn't dare to leave the faint silhouette that still stood there, watching us beneath the absence of the sound. "We got a company..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

299 43 18
**COMPLETED ON: April 30th** Princess Arillia of Amaura has always been different from the rest of her siblings with crimson curls, bright eyes, and...
2.7K 105 36
18+ Trigger warning for talk of suicide/drugs.* A story about a young human girl who tries to steal from a fae man. She gets put in a cell under the...
112 10 34
"I haven't even had my first kiss and they want me to... I'm just their puppet, a bloody test tube baby soldier with daddy issues that comes fully lo...
Ascendant By Gem

Fanfiction

756 40 32
Keep up with me and my current projects by diving into this unedited story written by myself (acting as the "Dungeon Master" role, writing for most c...