Betrayal of the Black

By -beths

- UNEDITED The Boy Who Lived, The Chosen One, Harry James Potter. When Harry discovered that Sirius Black was... More

cast
playlist
prologue
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
fifty-five
fifty-six
fifty-seven
fifty-eight
fifty-nine
sixty
sixty-one
sixty-two
sixty-three
sixty-four
sixty-five
sixty-six
sixty-seven
sixty-eight
chapter sixty-nine
epilogue

twenty-nine

43.5K 1.2K 1.3K
By -beths

SNOW LITTERED THE BACK ALLEY of the Three Broomsticks Inn. Winter was upon them, and time was moving quick. Hagrid had already bought the usual twelve Christmas trees for the Great Hall — a stark reminder that she would be returning home for the holidays again.

She'd snuck out under her cloak which she had charmed with an extremely powerful Disillusionment Charm. It did not make her invisible, but rather the exact same colour and texture of her surroundings; almost like a human chameleon.

She had gotten the idea from Harry's Invisibility Cloak, which admittedly, she should have stolen on the train at the beginning of the year. Though, that might have been more trouble than it was worth if he had decided to press charges.

Invisibility Cloaks are rare and valuable things, and why Potter possessed one is a mystery. It was too short of notice for Celestia to ask Narcissa to find and buy her one, so a Disillusionment Charm on an thin cloak would do. Though, due to the cold, she wore a thicker cloak underneath, which she found rather uncomfortable.

The alleyway behind the Three Broomsticks is quiet, only a muted thrum echoing out from inside the building. To get behind the buildings was quiet a feat, considering the fact that the alley was only a slim pathway full of trash. Opposite the Three Broomsticks and the buildings its joined with are lesser-known shops with no access to this alleyway.

Thus, cue Celestia climbing over a wall wearing a heavy cloak and attempting to not get caught. There was an entryway at the very opposite end of the alley which led out of Hogsmeade, but it would've been too risky for her to take if there are still Auror's patrolling for Voldemort.

Nonetheless, she made it into the alleyway behind the Three Broomsticks where a sparse amount of snow had found itself. Thankfully, it was not thick enough to show evidence of her footprints.

She'd done the hard part; climb over a fence and not gotten caught. She'd done the boring part; the waiting for the inevitable. Now, it was time for the sordid part.

The noise of the Three Broomsticks filled the alleyway as Madam Rosmerta opened the back door. She hauled out a bag of trash, and the door swung closed behind her, once again muffling the chatter of the Three Broomsticks.

She heaved the sodden bag into the large magical dumpster, watching as it remained for a moment, then disappeared to Merlin knew where. She pressed her hands to her apron, cleaning them. Celestia had to make her move, and she had to make it now.

Imperio, she thought, but did not say aloud as she pointed her wand at the Three Broomstick's landlady.

For one short moment, Celestia worried that Rosmerta was not under the curse and she would have to risk saying it out loud. But then Madam Rosmerta straightened, almost as if she was a marionette doll being pulled at by the strings, and did not move.

Celestia slunk out of the shadows, though still hidden under her cloak. Rosmerta showed no signs of awareness as she approached, only standing there, gazing at the wall.

When she stood directly in front of Rosmerta, and the woman still showed no signs that she knew that Celestia was there, she finally pulled her hood back. Still, with her face now on display, Rosmerta did not blink.

Celestia's dark hair was tucked into her clothes, though it bundled up above her collar in a mass of frizzy hair. Pink tinted her cheeks and nose slightly from the cold, contrasting her pale skin. She waited another moment, this time to surveil her surroundings.

No one else entered the alleyway, and no one else appeared to be approaching from inside the Three Broomsticks. She didn't have long before someone noticed Madam Rosmerta's disappearance, so she began giving her orders.

"When the time is right, place one of the Gryffindor girls that frequent your establishment under the Imperious Curse, then give her orders to gift this—" she pulled out the packaged item she received yesterday from her bag, placing it in Rosmerta's hands, "—to Professor Dumbledore. Do this inconspicuously, and do not get caught. After you do this, you will do your day-to-day habits. There will be no reason for anyone to doubt that you are under the Imperious Curse. While you are under my command, you will take orders from no one but me or Draco Malfoy. Leave."

Her words were spoken quietly, but sternly. With her final word, Madam Rosmerta placed the package into the pocket of her apron, turned, and walked back into the Three Broomsticks.

The moment the door swung shut behind her, and all that was left in the alley was a hollow silence, Celestia tugged the hood of her cloak on. She turned and disappeared down the alleyway, searching for a way to get back to the bustling centre of Hogsmeade.

She'd entered through a side alley and a poorly placed dumpster, and jumped down on the other side, so she could not go back the way she had came. About halfway down the long, one-way back alley, she found multiple barrels. Tapping on them proved that a couple were empty, but some were filled with food. The smell of which told her was expired.

She stepped hesitantly onto the barrels, only allowing her to place her weight on it for a couple seconds. She placed her gloved hands on-top of the stone wall, and hoisted herself up. Quidditch had trained her core, and working out with Theo had her arms and legs trained, too.

Pulling herself up, she only allowed herself a second to pause before she jumped down onto the pavement below. The snow muffled her landing, as she landed with her knees slightly bent.

She stood up, brushing the snow off her leather gloves. She began making her way down the side alley that she dropped into. It was just as she reached the mouth of the alley when a girl barreled into the alley.

Celestia pressed herself against the wall, holding her breath. But the girl did not look up at her, only pressed her hands into her face. The girl was crying, and, Celestia realised, she was wearing a green and silver Slytherin scarf.

Her hair was a dark-champagne blonde cascading around her face, hiding her face completely from view. She leaned against the wall opposite of Celestia, her chest heaving with silent cries.

Celestia took off her Disillusionment Charm-ed cloak. It was a risk exposing herself, but the girl was a Slytherin. There was also the factor of time, and that she shouldn't waste anymore of it. But there was no way that she would leave one of her own crying in an side alleyway of Hogsmeade.

She coughed, garnering the attention of the other girl. The girl snapped her head up, and began wiping the tears away furiously.

"Are you alright?" asked Celestia.

With her face no longer covered by her face and hands, Celestia realised who the girl was. Astoria Greengrass, Daphne Greengrass's younger sister who was in the year below them.

Daphne and Celestia were not necessarily friends, but she became worried on behalf of Daphne. When she fully looked at Astoria, she realised there was a slash along the cloak she was wearing.

"I'm fine," said Astoria.

"Well, it's obvious that something happened. Tell me, or I'll go and find your sister," she said.

Astoria straightened slightly. "Some Gryffindor's, I think, and maybe a Ravenclaw, I don't know. One of them threw a jinx at me and it tattered my cloak, and a spell won't fix it cause they altered the jinx somehow."

"And? You seem like you can hold your own with a couple Gryffindor's," Celestia prodded.

Astoria looked from side-to-side as if expecting someone to come out of the shadows. She shifted uncomfortably where she leaned against the wall. When Astoria spoke again, her voice was so quiet that she had to strain to hear it.

"My parents. Their jobs aren't paying as much as it used too. They'll kill me if they figure out I need a new cloak. Daph's birthday is coming up soon, so they're not going to want to spend money on a new cloak. I ruined a robe last week in Potions, I can't ask for a new cloak," explained Astoria. "They'll be so, so angry, Celestia."

"Take this," she said, shrugging off the cloak that she had worn under the invisible one to keep her warm.

"You're just going to give me your cloak?" said Astoria, eying the cloak in her outstretched hand.

Celestia scrunched up her nose. "Well, yeah? I can just get a new one. This one's last season anyway."

Hesitantly, she reached out and took the cloak from Celestia's hand. She unclipped her own cloak, letting the tattered item fall to the snow littered floor. She clipped Celestia's cloak — or now her cloak — over her collarbone, the dark, navy blue falling around her.

When Astoria glanced down to survey her new cloak, Celestia allowed herself only one short shiver that she had been suppressing. It was colder than she'd thought. By the time Astoria looked up again, she had her arms wrapped around herself casually; the only sign of the cold bothering her was the pink tinting her cheeks, nose, and ears.

"Thank you," said Astoria softly. "I'll repay you one day."

"Don't worry about it. I can buy myself all the materialistic things I need," she brushed off.

Astoria shrugged, a feat to do in a heavy cloak, but she managed it anyway. "I'll find a way to repay you, anyway. Just... don't tell my sister. Please?"

"Of course. I wasn't at Hogsmeade today either, how would I have known?"

The youngest Greengrass looked confused, but she grasped the general idea. "Okay. Thank you again, Celestia."

"No problem," said Celestia. As Astoria finally turned to leave, she spoke again, "I would like the names of those students, though, when you return to Hogwarts."

Astoria glanced at her again, and gave her a minute nod. Then she turned, and in a mass of Celestia's cloak, disappeared into the joyous town.

Before anyone else could pass by, Celestia clipped on the thin cloak that she had charmed with Disillusionment. The charm, however, was unreliable with time, and if she did not get back to Hogwarts soon, she'd risk getting caught. She couldn't afford anymore delays.

Hidden beneath her cloak donned with the Disillusionment Charm, she made her way out of the alleyway. She stuck to less travelled paths, hoping to not leave many footprints that might be noticed.

Thankfully, she made it back to Hogwarts without anyone noticing her. She made her way to the courtyard where Theo was waiting casually, as if he was out there leisurely despite the cold.

Though, he was only out there because he had demanded. He didn't know much of her plan more than the fact that he was her alibi and it most likely had to with an assassination attempt on Dumbledore. Still, he'd demanded that he at least pick her up after whatever she needed to do in Hogsmeade. Unable to deny him, she agreed.

She plopped down next to him, taking off her cloak and stealing a book that was next to him, pretending if she had been sat there the entire time. He jumped, surprised to see her appear out of no where.

"Where the bloody hell is your cloak?" he demanded. "You're shivering! Come on, let's get you inside."

Instantly, he shoved his own book into his bag. He stood up, dragging her to her feet as well. He took off his own coat and wrapped it around her shoulders. She only realised then how much she was shivering; full-body trembles, teeth chattering quietly.

He began ushering her into Hogwarts, keeping them away from the main halls. Theo lead her straight to the Slytherin common room, pushing her on the couch and heading to his room to find a throw blanket.

He returned minutes later from his dorm, chucking the blanket on top of her. He sat down next to her, narrowing his eyes at her.

"How'd you lose your cloak?" he asked.

"I didn't lose it," she said, "I gave it away."

"Why, exactly, did you give it away?"

"Because I'm a wonderful person," mumbled Celestia.

He snorted. "Right. Okay. So, are you going to tell me what you did today?"

"I'll tell you later," she said, cuddling into the blanket.

Rumour got to them before she had time to explain, however. She only got to relax for an hour before it was time for the Quidditch match against Ravenclaw.

Four and a half hours later, the match had finally come to an end. Though, the game may have ended earlier if Draco had participated. He, however, had stayed behind to work on his Voldemort task, and she couldn't fault him.

Regardless, they had ended up winning. Four hundred to two hundred and sixty. Two hundred and fifty of those points came from Celestia, Theo, and Fraser; scoring twenty-five times.

Theo had played exceptionally, scoring eleven times. Celestia, herself, scored nine times; but it was Theo who assisted her in nearly every single play. Fraser, their newest Chaser in his seventh year, only scored five times.

They had an extremely good, but tough game. The Slytherin team were on a high after their game, bustling to get to the Great Hall to get to dinner before it ended. Most of the crowd had dispersed halfway through the game, because even though it was an interesting game, it was long.

Celestia wore one of Theo's old, faded shirts and bike shorts, hair tied up in a messy ponytail. She couldn't sit still, constantly shifting in her seat into new positions. She was sat with one knee up, chin resting atop it, unadulterated joy pulling her lips into a smile when the gossip finally reached them.

"Pansy," called Tracey. "Did you hear about Katie Bell?"

Pansy turned to receive the new gossip. Celestia only half-listened to the conversation, focusing on shovelling food into her mouth.

"No, what happened? Katie Bell... Gryffindor, right?" asked Pansy.

"Yeah, she was in Gryffindor, but now she's in St. Mungo's. Apparently she was carrying some kind of gift or something, and she started flying? I don't know, but it's insane. Some say she became an angel," explained Tracey.

If she had been eating, she would have choked. Instead, she only sucked in a sharp breath, her posture going rigid. The spoon in Celestia's hand dropped to her plate.

There was a hand on her shoulder, and she knew it was Theo. She looked up at him, and whatever he saw had him turning back to their friends and giving them a swift smile, his hand still resting on her shoulder.

"We're going to turn in. The game has worn us both out," said Theo.

"Not coming to the party? It's in your honour," wondered Blaise.

Theo stood up, pulling Celestia up with him. She shook off any surprise she felt over learning her plan had gone awry and flashed her friends a mocking grimace.

"Not tonight, but you'll tell everyone we say thanks, yeah?" confirmed Theo, but he was already moving away.

Blaise agreed, and then Theo was practically dragging her away. Neither of them spoke as they made their way towards the common room. Once they've reached the common room, he directed her towards his dorm.

The silence was not awkward, but rather suspenseful. She knew the moment they were alone, he would question her about what exactly she'd done today and how it had involved Katie Bell getting injured; and she would tell him. Even though she really, really didn't want to.

They entered his shared dorm room, and still he didn't initiate the conversation. First, he led her towards their shared bathroom. It was cleaner than when she'd last seen it, but it was still a mess. He gave her the spare toothbrush that she used on the rare occasions she would spend the night with Draco or him, and watched her as she brushed her teeth through the mirror.

Finally, she finished brushing her teeth. She washed her mouth out with water, dried her face, and turned to face Theo. He stood in front of her, placing his hands next to her on the bathroom counter, trapping her.

"You're going to tell me what happened. I'm sick of you keeping secrets, and thinking you need to do everything by yourself," he said. "I assume Bell was not your target, so what exactly was your plan?"

She let out a rush of air, leaning the top of her head against Theo's shoulder. "I'm an awful person."

"No. You're not. Yeah, I think you should let us help you out sometimes, but your intentions for doing this aren't malicious—"

"I don't regret becoming a Death Eater. Not one bit, Theo. I know what I'm doing, and I'm doing it to protect all of you. But that's not why I'm an awful person," she said, "I'm an awful person because I'm relieved only Bell got hurt. Sure, Dumbledore's death would've been nice too, but I don't even feel guilty that she got injured."

She had a feeling he was going to interrupt her, so she continued speaking before he could. "It's the Opal Necklace from Borgin and Burkes. It's killed nineteen people, and I was going to use it to kill Dumbledore. I don't feel guilty about that; I'm angry. He should be dead. I don't feel guilty about Katie Bell getting hurt either. When did my remorse disappear? Since when did who I hurt stop mattering as long as I got what I wanted in the end?"

"I don't think you're a bad person," he said.

"Thanks," she said sarcastically.

"Look at me," he demanded. Her head remained pressed against his shoulder, and he forced it up to look him in the eyes. "Anyone in your position would do what you've done. You're doing it to protect us. You leave Pansy blissfully ignorant because you don't want her in his thralls. You took on Draco's task because you know that ultimately, he will never be able to kill anyone. You let Blaise think that this is all a game to you because you don't want him to worry."

"You're loyalty has no limits. If I could get you out of this position, I would. You're only doing what needs to be done. Either way, you're still here, and we haven't lost you yet. I won't let you get lost. Celestia, darling, I promise you, you're not going mad," he continued.

There was a part of her that knew he was right. That she was only doing what anyone in her position would be forced to do; to pick an alliance that will best protect them, and proceeding to do anything, at any cost, to protect them yourself. That to the world, she may be a villain, but to her friends she was their protector.

Though, it was the part about her motives that stifled her. She had joined the Dark Lord as a safeguard for her friends, and there was nothing that would ever be prioritised over that. But what about the part of her that wished her father was alive, only so that she could kill him by her own hand? That wished for Harry Potter to suffer the way she had suffered because of him?

The part of her that knew the very old belief that the act of killing will split your soul, and yet she did not even blink at the thought of murdering Dumbledore. What kind of person was she, and where did she go wrong?

She wanted to say it to Theo. She wanted to say it all. But this faith he was putting into her, and the credence in his words, how could she ever tell him that she was not as good as he liked to believe? She would never be the saviour he thought.

She wouldn't tell him the worst parts of her. She couldn't bring herself to. "You'll tell me if I'm going mad then, will you?"

He let out a near humourless chuckle. "Sure, if that's what you want." He pulled her in closer, wrapping an arm around her in a hug. He spoke his next words into the crown of her head, "But you're not going insane."

Yet, she thought. She didn't say anything, though, letting herself be enveloped in Theo. She tucked her head into his neck, and let herself pretend.

Pretend that war was not impending on them. Pretend that she wasn't slowly losing herself. Pretend that everything was fine. All she wanted to do was pretend, pretend, pretend. And he let her.

Whether he knew that he was helping her or not, he only held her. Arms wrapped around her shoulders, rocking her softly. She was surrounded completely by him. There was only Theo in that moment.

"Come on," he murmured, "Let's get you into bed."

She isn't tired. She should be, considering everything that had happened today. Yet, when she thought of going to sleep, it felt like a chore. Nonetheless, she let him direct back into the dorm room.

He directed her to his bed, and she slid into the bed. She and Pansy had slept in the boys dorms on multiple occasions in the past, but it was not a frequent thing. Most of the times, they'd stolen Draco's bed, forcing him to sleep with one of the other boys.

Their other two dormmates they claimed as their friends, though the other boys scrambled to their bidding at the drop of a hat. Not out of fear, either, but some odd fascination. Having said that, usually they were kicked out of their own dorm when she, Pansy, or both would spend the night.

As Celestia burrowed herself into his bed, pulling his duvet tightly around her shoulders, she found sleep more enticing. She heard Theo rustling in his bedside table, and through half-mast eyes saw him pull out a book.

"You're not going to sleep?" she breathed.

"No, not yet. Blaise is out partying, and I need to be here to ward off Armstrong and Graham when they come by," he answered.

Her eyes were closed, her words a tired slur. "Poor Armstrong and Graham."

"Yes, yes. Poor Dylan and Gabriel," Theo agreed with a chuckle.

She hummed into the pillow, and Theo knew there would be no more words exchanged between them until tomorrow. He opened the book in his hands and began reading.

Only one thing stood between Celestia and the Christmas holidays, and that was Slughorn's party. By dinner, only hours before the party, she still did not have a date.

Many people had propositioned themselves, boys and girls alike, but she found herself not willing to take any of them. Usually she'd take any one of them, but a dinner with Slughorn was not the best idea for a first date; especially when most of them saw her as a God and did nothing but fuss about her.

Harry Potter had failed to find a date, too, despite the many girls planning to drug him with a Love Potion. That was until Peeve's was zooming around Hogwarts shrieking, "Potty asked Loony to go to the party! Potty lurves Loony! Potty luuuuurves Looooooony!"

She found herself immensely jealous of Harry's decision, because Luna Lovegood was a perfect date. Sure, she had her oddities, but she was gorgeous and could always keep up a conversation.

Even with Harry's great date selection, the fact was she still did not have a date. She was considering turning up alone and twisting it into empowerment when Pansy interrupted her thoughts.

"Can I help with make-up? Please?" she pleaded.

Celestia smiled at her and nodded. Pansy had been practicing more with muggle make-up, and she'd be more than delighted to be Pansy's test subject. Even if that means turning up to the party and looking like a clown.

"So..." continued Pansy, "do you have a date yet?"

It was common knowledge in the Slytherin house that she did not have a date yet. People were vying to be her date to either get in Slughorn's or her good graces. If she'd gotten a date, Pansy would know.

She was about to to make a sarcastic comment, but was interrupted by someone coming to a halt behind Theo. It was Dylan, one of the boys dormmates. She looked up at him to find him already staring at her, a toothy grin on his face.

"I heard a pretty girl was in need of a date to Professor Slughorn's party tonight," Dylan said as way of greeting.

Simply put, he was offering to be her date. It had been a couple days since she had slept in the boys dorm, evidently kicking him and Gabriel out of their own room. Something she felt slightly guilty about.

She looked at him properly, skimming through her mind to think of any reason she should say no to his proposition. She couldn't find anything that made her want to say no. They'd only interacted for a couple minutes in the past, and he seemed like a nice boy. She found herself willing to say yes.

She opened her mouth to tell him so, but was cut off by Theo. "She already has a date."

Her head snapped down to look at Theo who sat beside her. "I do—"

"But she appreciates the offer, Dyl," Theo interrupted again.

Dylan glanced between the two of them and shrugged, seeming unabashed by the rejection he'd received via Theo. He sent Celestia a smile, and winked at Theo before he disappeared down the table.

With him gone, Celestia returned her attention to the boy sitting beside her. She glared at him, but he, too, looked unabashed from cancelling her last date opportunity.

"What the bloody hell was that?" she demanded.

He didn't glance up at her as he continued to shovel food into his mouth. "Nothing."

"Nothing? Theo, I don't have a fucking date for the party and you just ruined my last chance at getting one," Celestia said.

"You wouldn't want to go on a date with Armstrong. He's a cocky bastard who serial dates, and I say that as his friend," he replied.

"I'm a cocky bastard who serial dates!" she seethed. "You absolute tosser. You're lucky I was considering going alone."

"You're not going alone, either," he said.

"Are you not listening to anything I just said?"

"I think you're the one not listening to anything I said," he replied, "You're going with me."

"Right. Right. Okay, yeah," she said casually. The she picked up her copy of A Game of Thrones that she just finished reading, and hit him over the head with it. "You! Daft! Egotistical! Territorial! Dastard! Wizard!"

She punctuated each word with another hit of her book. She only stopped when she realised the abuse the book might suffer and sent him another glare. They'd garnered a bit of attention from her scene, and she stood up.

She was still glaring at him as she said, "Wear something pale blue. Common room, eight o'clock."

There was no time to dilly-dally, so she headed straight for her dorm room to get changed for the party. Pansy had finished her dinner shortly after Celestia, and had appeared in their shared bathroom to do her make-up.

She'd changed into a sky-blue satin dress. It was rather modest, falling to just below her knees, though there was a slit that went to her mid-thigh. It was bluer than her eyes, but from further away, they matched near perfectly.

Pansy gushed over her outfit, even though it was nothing out of the ordinary. Despite that, it still made her smile. Pansy went for a more simple make-up look, not confident enough to send Celestia to the party in horrible make-up because she wasn't skilled yet.

Soon, she finished, and Celestia was ready for the party. They'd decided to add a pop of colour, a blood red lipstick painted on her lips. She went with a pair of white louboutins to complete her outfit.

"You look scrumptious," said Pansy, before pouting, "It's so unfair that I wasn't invited to Slug's stupid little club."

"Thanks, Pans. It's not as exciting as it seems, though. Just a way to get more validation from Slughorn," she replied.

She swept her dark, loosely curled hair to the side and planted a kiss on Pansy's cheek. "I'll see you later."

"Have fun, and if you get the chance, spit on Potter for me?" called Pansy.

Celestia was halfway out of the door as she turned her head and replied, "Oh, I'll do much more if you request, my love."

But Celestia disappeared into the hall before Pansy could ask her to stab Harry through his eyes with her heels like she inevitably would. She tousled with her hair a bit, making it look casually messy.

She made the twist and turns down from the girls dormitory towards the common room. She passed by a squabble of girls who gawked at her, but when she passed, showered her in compliments which she gladly returned.

Eventually, she reached the common room. Theo was waiting there, and not wearing any baby blue. He was, however, looking absolutely dapper. He had tampered down his appearance too.

He wore a white dress shirt that was rolled up to his forearms, and a black suit vest with a casual tie. His trousers matched his vest, and Celestia would admit that he looked mouthwatering. He had The Secret History open in one hand, his eyes moving across the page. In the other hand he was spinning a pen subconsciously.

He didn't look up as she approached, fully immersed in whatever he was reading. Others had begun to acknowledge her presence, but not him. She finally reached him, hands on her hips.

"Do I need to get changed? I was under the impression that I looked rather ravishing, but if I can't even catch your attention, I must need a wardrobe change," sighed Celestia.

He looked up from his book then. "Fucking hell," he murmured. He scanned her from head-to-toe, gaping slightly, "You look..."

She smiled smugly. "That's the reaction I wanted."

His eyes snapped back up to her and narrowed slightly. The look was accusing but teasing.

"I was going to say you look gorgeous, my darling, but you are really a cocky bastard, aren't you?" he teased.

"You love it," she said.

He hummed, snapping the book closed in his hands. "Ready to leave?"

She glanced towards the boys dormitory. "I suppose. We'll just meet Blaise and his date there."

He glanced towards the boys dormitory as well, then nodded. He offered her his elbow, and she placed her hand there. He led her the small distance to Slughorn's office.

Short minutes later, they were already approaching his office. The sounds of music, laughter, and chatter grew louder with each step they took.

They entered his office to find a much larger version of the average teacher's lounge. The ceiling and walls were draped in crimson, gold, and emerald, which gave the room the appearance that they were inside a vast tent.

The room was crowded and stuffy and bathed in the red light cast by an ornate golden lamp dangling from the center of the ceiling in which real fairies were fluttering, each a brilliant speck of light.

Loud singing accompanied by what sounded like mandolins issued from a distant corner; a haze of pipe smoke hung over several elderly warlocks deep in conversation, and a number of house-elves were negotiating their way squeakily through the forest of knees, obscured by the heavy silver platters of food they were bearing, so that they looked like little roving tables.

"Celestia!" called Slughorn, pushing his way through the crowd. "Ah, Nott," he scrunched up his nose before looking back ag her, "Come with me, Celestia dear, I've got a couple people I'd like for you to meet."

She tightened her grip in the crook of Theo's elbow because of the look Slughorn had given him. She knew that Slughorn did not like him because of his father, but the scathing look he had gave him angered her.

Still, she gave her teacher a smile. "I'll meet up with you later Professor, I'd like to see some of the other students. We've become so close after you formed this club, and I absolutely must say hi first. You understand, don't you?"

He hesitated, unused to being denied, before painting a grin back onto his face. "Of course, of course. Come see me later, and I'll introduce you to everyone later."

"Thanks, sir," she said, practically dragging Theo away.

"Are you actually going to talk with the other students?" Theo asked.

"No, obviously not. Most of them resent me," scoffed Celestia.

"Harry, m'boy!" boomed Slughorn from behind them. "Come in, come in, so many people I'd like you to meet!"

"Ah, let us thank Potter and his wonderful timing," she said. "Seems like we've got reprieve until the end of the night."

They traversed through the crowd, smiling at those who smiled at them. Though, most were already buzzing about Harry Potter's arrival. A bob of brown hair disappeared amongst the crowd, undeniably Hermione.

They paused on the outskirts of the crowd, surveying the room of students and influential people who filled the room. At the entrance, Blaise and a Black woman named Trinity entered the room, but were not greeted by Slughorn as he was too engrossed by Harry.

Blaise did not seem too put out by not receiving a welcome, instead greeting a man he seemed to know. She averted her attention from her friend, looking back at Theo, prepared to strike up a conversation.

They were interrupted by Cormac McLaggen. He appeared behind them, right in the middle of them. "Have either of you two seen Hermione? She ran off..."

"No, we haven't. I'll let you know when we do, though," replied Celestia He disappeared without so much as a farewell. "Keep an eye on him, will you?"

"Sure, but why?" he said.

"He's here with Granger, and he's been acting dodgy around her for weeks. I wouldn't like for anything to happen to her," she said.

"Okay," he paused again, "but why? I thought we hated her and her friends."

"We do. But I can hate her, and still not want something horrid to happen to her," Celestia explained.

He nodded this time. It was a couple moments before he spoke again. "If he's been sleazy, then why did Granger ask him to be his date?"

She groaned, throwing her head back, and grumbled, "Men." She turned to look at him. "You wouldn't understand. Just, make sure you and Blaise have an eye-out on him, alright?"

"Okay," he said, tugging her closer as someone pushed past them.

She'd seen Weasley snogging Brown, and any girl who saw the way Hermione looked at her red-headed friend and his new girlfriend, would understand what exactly she'd done tonight.

They stood in comfortable silence for a couple minutes, scooping up a glass of champagne as a plate hobbled pass them. In the distance, she saw Slughorn, Snape, and Trelawney crowded around Harry. Her sneer turned into a smile as they were approached by some influential people.

After them, they were constantly crowded by influential person after influential person. They smiled, and charmed each one of them. Celestia ended each conversation early with those who were cold to Theo, especially about his father.

"Merlin, I didn't know someone could talk about themselves so much while simultaneously talking all about you," murmured Theo into her ear.

She hummed in agreement, taking a sip of champagne. She ended up spitting out said champagne a moment later when she saw something that made her feel angry, confused, and surprise all concurrently. Draco was being dragged by the ear towards Slughorn by Argus Filch.

Slughorn's eagerness only faltered momentarily, before he was nodding and saying something that made Filch furious. Draco looked equally unhappy by whatever was said for only a second, before he painted a charming smile on his face. Snape, however, looked at Draco with anger, and almost looking a little afraid.

Slughorn and Draco chatted together for a couple minutes, and Draco had his classic sucking-up face plastered on. But it was interrupted by Snape, and he lead a resentful looking Draco away.

"Stay here. Keep up appearances," said Celestia, and then she disappeared into the crowd before Theo could argue.

She slipped out into the deserted corridors unnoticed. The noise from Slughorn's office muffled her footsteps as she made her way through corridors to find the two men. She found them in the classroom at the end of the corridor, two voices emitting from inside.

"What do you think you're doing?" snapped Draco.

"I should be asking you the same! You cannot afford mistakes, Draco, because if you are expelled—"

"I didn't have anything to do with it, all right?"

Celestia pushed open the door, interrupting their conversation. "What the rutting hell are you two doing, having a conversation in public?"

"Get in here, Miss Black, and shut the door behind you," scolded Snape, turning back and narrowing his eyes at Draco. "I hope you're telling the truth, because it was both clumsy and foolish." He turned to look at both of them. "Already, you two are suspected of having a hand in it."

She sauntered over to them. "Oh, of course we have. Big bad, Death Eater, Slytherins, who hurt little, innocent, Katie Bell."

"Who suspects us?" said Draco angrily, eyeing his cousin for a moment. "I told you I didn't do it, okay? Neither did Celestia. That Bell girl must've had an enemy no one knows about — don't look at me like that! I know what you're doing, I'm not stupid, but it won't work — I can stop you!"

Whatever Snape was doing to Draco, he halted. Then he turned to her, and she realised exactly what he was doing. He was trying to use Legilimency. Instantly, she threw up her mental walls.

"Don't you even think about it, Severus," Celestia sneered.

"I am your Professor, and you will do well to remember that," he said. "Aunt Bellatrix has been teaching you two Occlumency, I see. What thoughts are you trying to conceal from your master?"

"I'm not trying to conceal anything from him, I just don't want you butting in!" Draco said.

"So that is why you have been avoiding me this term? You have feared my interference? You realize that, had anybody else failed to come to my office when I had told them repeatedly to be there, Draco—"

"So put me in detention! Report me to Dumbledore!" jeered Draco.

There was a pause. Then Snape said, "You know perfectly well that I do not wish to do either of those things."

"You'd better stop telling me to come to your office then!"

"Listen to me," said Snape, his voice going low. "I am trying to help you. I swore to your mother I would protect you. I made the Unbreakable Vow, Draco—"

"Looks like you'll have to break it, then, because I don't need your protection—!"

"What?" Celestia interrupted. "You did what? Neither of you thought to tell me that you had made an Unbreakable Vow? How many lives or on the line here?"

"There are some things you do not need to know, Miss Black, especially with your need to be the hero of your story," said Snape.

"Is simply wanting to protect your friends such a crime now?"

"It is when you let no one else help you," retorted Snape.

"Will you two stop it? It's my job, he gave it to me and I'm doing it, I've got a plan and it's going to work, it's just taking a bit longer than I thought it would. Now, can we leave?" interjected Draco.

"What is your plan?"

"It's none of your business!"

"If you tell me what you are trying to do, I can assist you—"

"I've got all the assistance I need, thanks, I'm not alone!"

"You were certainly alone tonight, which was foolish in the extreme, wandering the corridors without lookouts or backup, these are elementary mistakes—"

"This is not the time, or the place for us to be having this conversation! Should you consider the fact that anybody may come past and hear your useless row? I think we all know one boy who delves in hiding under Invisibility Cloaks and would jump at the chance to overhear his beloved enemies fighting in a classroom," said Celestia.

"We must have this conversation now if you two plan to keep avoiding me—" continued Snape.

She slammed her hand down onto one of the tables. "I will not stand here and let you rattle on about every wrongdoings you believe we are committing."

"There is no need for you to act like a child, Celestia. I quite understand that Lucius's imprisonment, and your father's death has made you act—"

"Fuck you!" fumed Celestia. "You have no right. You have no right to psychoanalysis me. I am who I always have been."

She grabbed Draco's arm, and dragged him out of the classroom. She pulled him down the corridor.

"Go back to the common room. We will talk about this tomorrow. You look ill. Sleep," she said, and then abandoned him for the party.

She slipped back into Slughorn's office, straightening her dress. She painted a smile on her face, and she was weaving her way through the crowd.

Theo met her halfway, pulling her tightly to him as people pushed their way past them. One hand was placed on her lower back, holding her close to his body. She stumbled slightly, placing her hands on his shoulders and holding him closer to keep balance.

"What happened?" he demanded.

"Snape's being a bastard, Draco's being a idiot, what else is new?" she scoffed.

"Are you alright?" he asked, tugging her closer to speak into her ear.

"Nothing some mead won't fix. I can worry about everything tomorrow," said Celestia.

"No mead. I'm not letting you drown your worries in alcohol again," he replied, leading her out of the centre of the crowd.

"I—" began Celestia, but then she glanced up. "Oh, mistletoe."

He glanced up as well, eyeing the greenery tied in a small red bow. He still had a hand on her lower back, holding her at his side.

In her heels, she was still shorter at him, despite the fact she was taller than the average girl. She leaned up slightly, placing a kiss on his cheek. He blinked, as if dazed that she'd kissed him, a far-off look in his eyes.

"Fine. No mead," agreed Celestia, "but I will drink any champagne that any house elves may bring by."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

971 56 39
Five years ago, an expulsion had taken place at Hogwarts. It was the first one ordered for in over a century. Unimaginable horrors had taken place wi...
100K 1.9K 70
---------------------------- When the Wizarding World falls. Who will Rise? 'You put your faith in the wrong person.Don't you see Potter? I was born...
66.7K 2K 25
❝𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧'𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐚π₯π₯ 𝐬𝐒𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐬?❞ -𝒓.𝒂.𝒃. ➝ In a world of shadows and secrets π™π™€π™­π™–π™£π™£π™š...
40.6K 627 32
Following an intense fight with Yn Moonshine and her father, Yn and Myra her younger sister are disowned and kicked out of their home. Their old fami...