Secrets & Scandals •Anthony B...

By thequeen2375

High Society, let alone within London has quite the stakes involved. Especially for a young lady. With Ester... More

Lady Whistledown
Diamond of The First Water Part I
Diamond of the First Water Part II
Diamond of The First Water Part III
Diamond Of the First Water Part IV
Shock and Delight Part I
Shock and Delight Part II
Shock and Delight Part III
Art Of the Swoon Part I
Art of the Swoon Part II
An Affair of Honor Part I
An Affair of Honor Part II
An Affair of Honor Part III
The Duke and I Part I
The Duke and I Part II
The Duke and I Part III
The Duke and I Part IV
Swish Part I
Swish Part II
Secrets Part I
Secrets Part II
Oceans Apart Part I
Oceans Apart Part II
Scandals Part I
Scandal Part II
After the Rain Part I
After the Rain Part II
After the Rain Part III
Epilogue
Authors Note

Scandals Part III

4.7K 131 7
By thequeen2375

*This chapter has rather intense and mature themes that speak about death, as such if you as a reader are uncomfortable with this you will be able to skip this chapter and not miss anything with vital context in this story. Thank you!*

Scandals Part III

Anthony paced the room once more. He found himself doing that quite often these pass few days. When he and Ester arrived to find her father had passed while they were on the journey over, his wife was inconsolable.

She refused to talk to anyone and she often sulked around the cottage. She would go from her room (which she had not chosen to stay with him which only agitated him more), to the kitchens to her father's study. Not necessarily in that order.

He tried to speak to her once and she just started yelling at him. Yelling about things that made no sense! She would yell at him about Daphne, about Simon about Eloise even! He was lost beyond all measure.

What really set Ester in a mood was when Mariana, his sister in law brought their new baby over from her midwife's house to visit Ester. What Anthony thought would be a heartfelt greeting between an aunt and newborn Prudence was a violent outburst about how 'she had enough of babies'.

That was what brought on Anthony to begin to pace. He couldn't figure out what it meant. They had no children, none of his siblings had any children and this was the first child to call her aunt. Just thinking about it continued his pacing efforts.

He tried to think of what was occurring back home but they only sent letters to Ester. There were at least several letters a day coming in for Ester. Anthony received one. It was from Francesca who said she was coming home and it was a forwarded letter his mother sent to him. So basically he had no letters.

Then, later in the week the worst happened. In the early morning a grave scream erupted throughout the cottage during breakfast. So the group traveled to see what had occurred and the sight was enough to scar Anthony for life.

There in the middle of the road was a slumped over Juliana Sloehigh...Ester and Mariana's mother. Apparently Mariana and Juliana were in some tift or other about what to do with the condolence flowers when Juliana stepped into the street on accident and a nearby carriage unaware....ran her over.

From that point on Anthony had no idea how he was to console his wife. She was beyond reach and that was when Anthony decided that after the reading of both wills of the Sloehigh parents, Anthony was taking Ester home.

It didn't take long for the judge to make his way down to Fort William, along with the Clergy. So, the two sisters and their spouses sat in a waiting room to hear what was to come.

"Good afternoon, Lord Billingsly, Viscount Bridgerton. We are here to read the will." The group nodded and braced themselves.

"I would like first for the two gentlemen to sign, to establish that you were present and you have been made aware of the will itself." Anthony and Charles signed it but Anthony had no doubt everything would go to him and Ester as they were Viscounts. Wrong.

"This is the hereby will and testament of Lord Jacob Sloehigh, where his cottage at Fort William, the house in Governors Square London are to go to Lord Charles Billingsly." Anthony immediately noticed Ester turned green.

"The assets within the homes and the family heirlooms are to go to Lord Charles Billingsly." Anthony immediately was suspicious. If it was not for Ester marrying Anthony, the Sloehigh's would have nothing.

"The books and artifacts in Jacob's study will go to Lord Charles Billingsly." Anthony took note of Charles and Mariana's faces---they were not in shock at all. Ester had been duped.

"Sir, I would very much like to cut this short--is everything on the will addressed to 'Lord Charles Billingsly'?" Anthony asked, starting to stand off of his chair besides the couch.

The Clergy and Judge quickly took a look and nodded. "Yes." The Judge said suspiciously. Anthony lightly grabbed Ester's arm, thankful that they already packed and sent her out the door.

"Where are you taking me?" Ester said, rather sorrowfully.

"Home, back to London." Ester stopped in her shoes. "We can't go back now, my family...we are in mourning!" Anthony rolled his eyes and grabbed her once more towards the carriage.

"Anthony, stop! I do not wish to return to London right now." Anthony tried to be nice but after the joke of a will and the way Ester was behaving here, he had his fill of Fort William.

"No, Ester. We are going home, that is final." Ester was about to argue but she realized she had no power. She is married now. A woman well understood that once you sign the legal binding documents nothing you said was important. Ester touched her stomach once again, praying for her child.

Ester wouldn't lie to herself she was not healthy. She had lost significant weight and she was extremely burdened over her parents passing so suddenly. She didn't get to say goodbye to either of her parents before they were taken from this world. That did a number on her.

Ester was also suspicious about her parents' passing. She hated to admit it but the timing of both was rather...scripted. She felt like she was some sort of actress where the villain in the opera was just watching her flail around waiting, hoping for Ester to crumble.

Mariana and Charles were the only people around when her father passed, her mother asleep. Mariana was the only person there when her mother had "tripped" into the streets. So, while Ester appeared to be mourning (which she was) she sent out a few inquiries to the Constable to further investigate. Explaining the situation.

She would have to write to the Fort William Constable once more explaining it was odd that Charles and Mariana were given everything. By everything, Ester glanced at Will and they even received clothes. Her mother and father's clothes. One's that would NEVER fit those two rotund humans. She hated to be hateful towards her sister but her father always told her 'if something is telling you to be concerned, then be concerned.'

So, when Anthony was adamant to head home, she at first was not happy with the idea but now....maybe being away from Mariana was a good thing.

____________

Without the need of urgency Anthony and Ester had on the way up to Fort William, they had decided to spend one extra night in an inn. Ester was thankful for knowing her child needed rest and some normalcy as Ester had not been the best 'oven to cook in'.

They still had some time before they reached the inn and Ester decided to crack into some more of the letters her family had sent her. Her family...that had a nice ring to it now. They were all she had left beside her sister and brother in law now.

Daphne had sent her a letter a day after they left. Daphne at first was furious for Ester not telling her about the pregnancy but each letter after another Daphne slowly warmed up to the idea and was very thrilled for her friend. Telling her to tell Anthony sooner than later.

Eloise sent her letters on how she predicted that was why Ester had her look into illnesses prior, Violet checking in on her general health and providing tips. Benedict sent her a letter, with a letter from Colin in the same letter congratulating her.

She even got a letter from Francesca who had apparently arrived home. Her newest letter was from Daphne again.

Ester,

Things at home have been crazy, as usual. With moving to Hastings House I find myself to be a bit of a snoop. I discovered after recent news of your pregnancy and a LONG talk with Mama, that I needed to understand Simon more. So I've been snooping around his old family home in search of who he was, is.

So with that, do you two have any stories when you were little, anything about him that would help me learn to love and understand the man I am indebted too?

How is my little niece or nephew doing? In your last letter you seemed to be rather distraught over your parents--which is understandable-- and I am rather worried for you. Mama is as well. Stress is not good for the newest addition to the family!

Does Anthony know yet? How is he faring? When he last wrote Mama he seemed to be rather uptight claiming nonsense about all sorts of things. Then again, we both know my brother has a flair for the dramatics.

Please keep us updated and yourself in good health.

Love,

Daphne

Ester smiled and tightly held the letter to her chest. Anthony had fallen asleep some time around an hour ago and it was rather nice not having to force conversation or pretend that she was fine with everything going on.

She also felt extremely awkward since she had yet to tell the father of the child before she told everyone else. Even Mariana knew for goodness sake.

"WHOA!" Ester heard the coachman call out, stopping the horses at the inn. Shaking Anthony awake he quickly jumped and became aware of his surroundings with rather wild looking eyes.

"Have we arrived?" Ester nodded. Anthony straightened his jackets and put on his top hat, opening the door for Ester.

Immediately stepping off the carriage--Ester spoiled another beautiful garden patch with the insides of her stomach. Pregnancy really was horrible.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

A Stark Mismatch By J.D. Ruiz

Historical Fiction

242K 22.5K 37
Determined to stay blissfully unmarried, Lady Angela Worthington hires club owner and secret matchmaker Gerard Stark to find a match for her best fri...
537 32 20
BOOK II Serena Houstings, princess of Lockwood, trying to figure out this routine of hers now that she belongs with the royal family. Finding herself...
1.2M 35K 56
It is said that second-born sons have all the fun. This much is certainly true for Benedict Bridgerton, free from the burdens held by his eldest brot...
45.1K 1.2K 17
𝐷𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑅𝑒𝑎𝑑𝑒𝑟𝑠, I have been sharping my quills in preparation for this years social season; which I ensure will be filled with as much...