Espera | R. Grayson ✔

By ZeninaD

"Instead of waiting for a savior to come, You have to be the one to save yourself." [Richard Grayson] [Starte... More

A Little Introduction
Preface
Character Aesthetics
[00]
[01]
[02]
[03]
[04]
[05]
[06]
[07]
[08]
[09]
[10]
[11]
[12]
[13]
[14]
[15]
[16]
[17]
[18]
[19]
[20]
[21]
[22]
[23]
[25]
[26]
[27]
[28]
[29]
[30]
[31]
[32]
[33]
[34]
[35]
[36]
[37]
[38]
[39]
[40]
[41]
[42]
[43]
[44]
[45]
[46]
[47]
[48]
[49]
[50]
Epilogue
Acknowledgements

[24]

79 9 10
By ZeninaD

Jason had noticed that Tim's visits to their place had become more frequent and the boy had visibly gotten much friendlier and relaxed around them. Richard and Helena doted upon him as if he was a toddler which was at times very amusing to see but at other times, Jay couldn't help but feel slightly weird.

He didn't want to get jealous but as he had been the only person who had been treated as a younger brother by Richard for a considerable amount of time by then, he felt as if with Tim around, things were going to change.

And he was not sure whether he was ready for that change yet. 

He had just returned from Gotham Theater and stepped in the house, a delicious aroma wafted through the air, indicating that Richard was home.

"Hi Jaybird," he called out, turning to see him cross the living room, "get freshened up, dinner is almost ready."

"Sure," he nodded, leaving his bag at the couch then trudged off to his room.

In the meanwhile Richard laid out the dinner on the counter and fetched the stools. Whenever it was just the two of them, they would have dinner in the kitchen. But whenever Helena, Tim or anyone else visiting them, they would lay it out on the makeshift table.

Jay returned and took his seat, a smile flickering on his ace to see his favorite fried rice and vegetable stew.

"How was your day at the theater?" Richard asked, as was his habit to keep a conversation going on between them most of the times.

"Good. What about yours?"

"The usual. I have to leave soon," his eyes flickered towards the clock, "lock the door behind me, I will take the keys since I will be returning late."

"I know the drill, Dickie, don't worry."

A while passed in silence as the two focused on the food, however, Jason was still thinking about Tim.

"What are you thinking?" Richard asked, knowing that it was rather unusual for him to stay silent for long.

"Nothing," he shrugged but then added, "you're not planning on adopting Tim, are you?"

Richard was surprised at the question, "well, I would if I could."

"But he has a family and everything else that one wishes for. I don't see why you should..."

He shook his head, interrupting him, "but he doesn't have happiness nor freedom."

"What I meant to say is that maybe you're pushing yourself too much. It will take some time but Tim will get better. He's smart, he'll adjust."

Icy blue eyes locked with his metallic irises, "your point being?"

"You can't save everyone, Dickie," he mumbled, retrieving his gaze from him, "there's only so much you can do and there are times when you should stop overburdening yourself."

Richard didn't reply outright, pondering on his words for a while. He had felt something had been slightly off between Jay and Tim ever since the day they had met but he had kept ignoring it, thinking the boys would adjust with time. 

However, right then he felt as if he had been wrong to ignore that and should have cleared Jay's misconception way earlier.

"Are you, in any case, jealous of him?" He asked cautiously, eyes observing the younger boy's face.

"What? No!" Jason looked quite akin to a deer in headlights, his eyes wide on being caught.

"Or do you think that just because I care for him too I would somehow stop caring about you?" That once his tone was softer since he had understood exactly what Jay felt and he felt bad at himself for not clearing it up sooner.

"I... That's not what I..."

"Jay, you're my brother," he leaned closer, hand ruffling his hair in his characteristic affectionate gesture, "I can't even think of neglecting you for anyone else. And I feel the same towards Tim. Both of you are equally important to me."

Jays cheeks flushed from embarrassment, "oh... I've been so stupid..."

"Of course not. You've reacted how anyone else would in your place," he smiled gently, "but you should keep in mind that nothing of what you were thinking about would happen. First and foremost, I can't adopt Tim since he already has a family. And even if I could take him in, that wouldn't change anything between us."

"Yeah... You're right," he nodded.

"So don't ever get insecure like that, okay? And tell me whenever something bothers you instead of overthinking and troubling yourself," a warm smile graced his lips as he ruffled his head again, "we're family, remember, and families stick together. No matter what happens."

***

A sinister group of people were sitting around a huge oval table, the light dim in the hall though illuminating the white owl masks covering their faces. They were all dressed in dark robes and a mysterious aura radiated around them, indicating that they belonged to some purpose far beyond understanding of the average citizens of Gotham.

The chair at the head of the table was larger than the rest and the person seated on it was closely observing the rest of the members. His jewel-encrusted hands rested on the sides of the chair as he judged whether all of the members had arrived yet or not.

The door parted and in stepped the last member, a graceful figure dressed in the same dark robe and white mask who came up to the table and took the empty chair on the right of the Head's chair.

Dark piercing irises swept over every other person present before resting upon the occupant of the High Chair.

By her demeanor, it was clear that she was irked about something and would definitely let them know after that meeting would be adjourned.

"I trust you all know the reason why you all are gathered here," the man's deep voice resonated through the room, "we have a situation on our hands that must be dealt with swiftly."

The woman stiffened in her seat but it was unnoticeable to the rest of the members who were facing the Head of the Court at the moment. She knew that situation the Court was going to deal with was Richard Grayson and she was thinking of a way to put a stop to it.

It would have been so much easier if she were the Head of the Court as she was supposed to be. But that title was in someone else's position at the moment so she would have to work out an alternative.

She had been cautiously waiting for the time she would take her rightful title from the current Head but for the time being, she had to stick to her plan and wait for the right time to strike. But if things got out of hand, she would have to react a bit sooner than initially planned.

"He has been causing a lot of trouble and it is about time to put a stop to it," the Head resumed, "the only reason we hadn't killed him yet was that he was meant to be a Talon, instead he chose an entirely opposite path which can put all of us in danger. So I believe it is better to rid of him before any such threat surfaces."

There were murmurs among the members as they were silently discussing among themselves. The only two people who were silent by then were the Head and the woman seated to his right.

"Those in favor of terminating the Gray Son," the Head began to take a vote and some hands were tapped on the table in agreement. "Those against," he added and that once no one dared to tap on the table except for the woman who put her hand down on the table, creating a rather fierce sound in the silence all around and then stood up herself.

Along with her, all those who hadn't tapped on the table earlier stood up as well.

"What is the meaning of this?" The Head's eyes flashed in anger as he noticed that those against him were more compared to those in favor of his decision.

And the outrageous aspect was that they were siding with a woman who had not been a member of the Court for even half of his time holding the title of the Head.

"You will not lay a hand on him," her voice was steady as she spoke up, "I had thought the last time you had sent your Talons after him had given you a valid reason to stay away."

The Head stood up as well, deep voice threatening, "so you are doubting my judgment and going against what I have decided?"

"Yes," she replied, "because your judgment is wrong. You have kept steering the Court for your own gain but it is about time to put a stop to you too."

He leaned closer, hand reaching out to grab her by the throat but before that could happen she had brandished her dagger at him, the white owl engraved on the handle flashing in the dim light.

He was shocked to see that dagger and stumbled back. That dagger was specially forged to be used by the Head of the Court of Owls yet he had never been able to acquire it as he had taken over the title illegally.

And that meant the woman holding that dagger was indefinitely the rightful head to the Court and if he dared go against her, he would be in trouble, not the other way round.

"Who are you?"

She laughed in derision, the sharp sound of it piercing through them all, "who I am is none of your concern though who you are is quite amusing to me."

His face paled but was concealed by the white mask, "what...?"

 "You have only two options, Mister March," the dagger was threateningly close to his throat as she resumed, dark eyes seemed to pierce through the mask covering his features, "either you withdraw your decision of pursuing the Gray Son and retain your title and position in the court. Or you keep going against my warning and suffer the consequences. Both your membership and position from the Court will be confiscated as a result."

He seemed to be in shock for no word escaped from his deep voice as he stared at her helplessly though deep down he was burning in rage.

"You have time till the next meeting to decide. Pray choose wisely for you have been a very important member of the Court and none of us would want to see you go," she remarked breezily, leaving her seat and stepping back from the table, the dagger vanishing in her robes, "the meeting is adjourned."

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 443 54
~• Book 1 of The Toxic Ashes Series •~ "Feels like I'm falling into a world I can't control, I hear it calling down in my soul, gripping my bones." [...
21.3K 1.2K 33
"You know that I have always tried to save you, But deep down I know you're my savior too." [Book 2] [Timothy Drake] [Started: 04/24/2020] [Completed...
24.7K 1.1K 34
"There is a very thin line, Between pleasure and pain." [Jason Todd] [Started: 05/11/2023] [Completed: 09/08/2023] Cover made by @Purplemist14
1.3K 167 24
"This world is a ruthless jungle, You either fight or run forever." [Timothy Drake] [Started: 10/01/2023] Cover made by @Purplemist14