Clouded by the Dark Side

By CourtesyTrefflin

The Clone Wars have begun, and Anakin and Aniya Skywalker are on the front lines, doing their duty to protect... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Christophsis
Chapter 2 - Battle of Jabiim
Chapter 3 - Alema
Chapter 4 - Ahsoka
Chapter 5 - Mission to Teth
Chapter 6 - An Escape Route
Chapter 7 - Two Paths, Two Sisters
Chapter 8 - Back Into The Desert
Chapter 9 - The Setting Sun
Chapter 10 - Settling In
Chapter 11 - The Malevolence
Chapter 13 - Battle of the Malevolence
Chapter 14 - Lair of Grievous
Chapter 15 - Back Into the Fog
Chapter 16 - Off to the Rescue
Chapter 17 - The Lurmens
Chapter 18 - Separatist Arrival
Chapter 19 - Stealing a Shuttle
Chapter 20 - The Blue Shadow Virus
Chapter 21 - Admissions
Chapter 22 - Holocron Heist
Chapter 23 - To Capture A Bounty Hunter
Chapter 24 - Landing at Point Rain
Chapter 25 - Assault on the Factory
Chapter 26 - Destroying the Factory
Chapter 27 - Within the Geonosian Core
Chapter 28 - War on Warms
Chapter 29 - Visions in the Night
Chapter 30 - Mission to Mandalore
Chapter 31 - Bounty Hunters in the Night
Chapter 32 - To Meet A Separatist
Bonus Chapter 1 - Earth Wars
Chapter 33 - Mortis
Chapter 34 - Visions on Mortis
Chapter 35 - Test of Time
Chapter 36 - Alter of Mortis
Chapter 37 - Well of the Dark Side
Chapter 38 - Mission to Citadel
Chapter 39 - A Rescue Gone Wrong
Chapter 40 - Kidnapped
Chapter 41 - Inside the Jungle
Chapter 42 - On The Run
Chapter 43 - Skirmish on Naboo
Chapter 44 - Darkness on Umbara
Chapter 45 - Assault on the Capital
Chapter 46 - Carnage of Krell
Chapter 47 - Old and New Enemies
Chapter 48 - Traitor of Dawn
Chapter 49 - To Find the Colonists
Chapter 50 - Mission to Zygerria
Chapter 51 - Festival of Light
Chapter 52 - Escaping the Separatists
Chapter 53 - Echoes of the Past
Chapter 54 - Onderon
Chapter 55 - A Fight For Freedom
Chapter 56 - Tipping Points
Chapter 57 - Unexpected Encounters
Chapter 58 - The Arrest
Chapter 59 - Prison Break
Chapter 60 - On The Run
Chapter 61 - To Find A Clue
Chapter 62 - Casting Judgement
Chapter 63 - The End
Epilogue

Chapter 12 - Preparations for War

113 3 0
By CourtesyTrefflin

Warning: Mentions/implied child abuse! (Maybe not in this chapter though...)

Aniya Skywalker

"This strike force has been commissioned by the Senate to hunt the enemy's new battleship as the bulk of our fleets are engaged on the front line. We'll be on our own. General Skywalker has prepared our attack strategy," declares the Admiral, his gaze flickering between the clone troopers gathered in front of us. I stand next to Anakin, waiting for our turn to speak about the plans for our impending attack.

"Thank you, Admiral," Anakin states, stepping forwards, "While our ships are vulnerable to the enemy's attack. I believe the squad of bombers can outmaneuver their ion weapon. Our target will be the bridge and General Grievous." The ion weapon which nearly destroyed Anakin's ship – with him, Qui-Gon, and Ahsoka all inside it – only yesterday. I can't help but feel the slightest bit nervous about this, but if we're all in fighters and attacking it at once, it'll work out fine.

Ignoring the whispering amongst the clones, I continue with the plan, pointing out the hologram diagram for specifications. "Our bombers will attack at high speed to evade the enemy's ion weapon. We'll concentrate our firepower on the bridge superstructure here. We destroy General Grievous, and the ship will fall with him."

"Any questions?" asks Anakin, looking around at the clones.

"Just tell us where that metal head is," replies one of the clones, standing up.

"Yes, the wings. I can't take them out," comments another.

"Alright men. Settle down. This is an important mission. If we destroy Grievous, we can bring this war to a quicker end," my brother says.

"Pilots, prepare your bombers," I command as Anakin shuts off the hologram. The clones instantly stand up and start walking away.

Master Plo, who'd been staying with us ever since Anakin and Ahsoka pulled him out of space not that long ago, turns to us. "This is an aggressive plan. Are you sure your squadron can complete this mission?"

"That's easy to answer," I reply, "Let's ask them." I have no doubt. There's yet to be a mission we haven't been able to pull through with.

"Do you think our boys can pull it off?" Anakin calls.

"Yes, sir," replies one of them instantly, turning around to face us, "There hasn't been a mission Shadow Squadron couldn't complete."

"That's right," agrees another, "Minimum casualties, maximum effectiveness. That's us."

"I admire your confidence," Plo replies, then turns back to us again. "Even so, minimum casualties may not be enough to prevent you from breaking Grievous' defenses."

"Master," Ahsoka speaks up for the first time, stepping forwards, "Plo is right. With Grievous on the ship's bridge, it's bound to be well protected."

"Don't worry, Ahsoka," Anakin assures her, "We'll destroy that bridge and Grievous along with it." I nod my agreement. This is not a battle we can afford to lose. I expect it'll be hard to destroy the ship with him still inside, but it's worth a try. It seems like the General always manages to escape moments before his ships blow up. Coward.

"If you say so," replies Alema, smirking slightly. "I expect it's not gonna be an easy task, though."

I chuckle. "Well, who said it would be easy?"

Anakin and I head off across the hanger to prepare our own fighters. No matter what the situation is, we always lead the battle. We're always right in the front, where the danger is. Alema hurries to join me as I approach my fighter.

"You'll be my gunner," I tell her before she can disappear in search of her own fighter. In a mission like this, there's no way I'll be risking her flying her own fighter so soon. At least if she's with me, I know she's safe. I don't care if she's been in many space battles before. Her training from before doesn't really matter. That's not how to train a padawan, and I rather look down on sending a thirteen-year-old to the battlefield as it is. I don't like how the Council has been acting about it. The Separatists may be bad, but that doesn't mean sending children into war is good, either.

"What?" she exclaims incredulously, spinning around.

"You can be my gunner," I repeat, "Ahsoka will be Anakin's." I can hear a similar argument right nearby. I had the feeling this wouldn't go over well, but it's fine. Really. We're not senselessly risking our padawans. Besides, it would be easier to have them with us.

"Why? I can fly just fine," she insists. "You know I have before."

"Perhaps I just appreciate the company." The argument ends when I spot the Admiral and Master Plo headed towards Anakin and Ahsoka. Whatever it is, it's something important. I walk around the fighters, stopping where the group is now gathered.

"The enemy has attacked our convoy of medical transport near Kallida Shoals."

"Medical transports?!" the padawans cry in unison, outraged.

"Only General Grievous would go after clones who can't fight back," Ahsoka growls.

"Kallida Shoals?!" echoes Anakin, "Isn't that where a medical base is? I'll bet that will be his next target."

"He must be trying to destroy the base," I hiss angrily, "Perhaps to ensure all of the clones there die."

"There are many star clusters in that area." Plo declares, "With a ship that big, he will be unable to chart a course that's less than ten parsecs."

"Looks like we're going to have to take a shortcut," decides Anakin.

"Admiral. Warn the station what's coming," I command, turning to him. At the very least, they should be prepared. Perhaps they can at least start evacuating everyone in case Grievous begins attacking the station before we arrive. He nods and walks off.

"This journey may be treacherous. If you lose any ships before you reach the target –" Plo warns, but Anakin cuts him off.

"We won't lose anybody." There's a note of certainty in his tone as he turns back to his fighter and starts climbing the ladder.

"I will come along," the Jedi Master adds, "Fly fighter escort."

"Great," I reply, "We need all the help we can get on this."

"Any help is welcome, Master Plo. Just try not to fall behind.," Anakin agrees. Because I'm sure that'll be a problem with our flying. Our clones are quite used to it, but someone else...

I turn to Alema. "Come on. We better get to our ship." She nods and we both dash off across the hanger towards our waiting fighter. Time to get out into space.

Minutes later, we're seated in our fighters and fly out of the cruiser's hanger. "I hope you know what you're doing, Anakin," Obi-Wan says over the communication device.

"Well, if I don't, I won't be around to hear the 'I told you so.'"

"That's reassuring."

"We'll be fine," I can't suppress a laugh.

"Well, take your shortcut, and I'll take the long way, but you'd better be there before I arrive," Obi-Wan cautions.

"We'll be there, Obi-Wan," Anakin says before turning his attention back to the rest of the crew. "Shadow Squadron tighten formation. Call in."

"Shadow one, standing by."

"Shadow two, standing by." All the clones continue counting in, all the way up to twelve. Good. We should be nearly ready to go, then. Behind us, Plo's fighter arrives and joins the circular formation of the fighters in the very back.

"This is Admiral Yularen," the Admiral's voice comes over the communications to the cruiser, "You are cleared to make the hyperspace jump."

"Okay, boys. Let's go," Anakin calls. I pull the hyperspace lever, then settle back against my seat as the blue and white streaks appear.

"Master, are you sure this 'shortcut' will work?" Alema asks quietly.

"If we know how to fly a fighter, we can make it," I reply with certainly. If anyone can do it, Anakin and I can. It wouldn't be used if no one could do it. And we're Jedi. If anyone else can do it, we can too.

I sit back against my seat and wait. We're nearby. It shouldn't be long before we emerge from hyperspace. Finally, the ship jolts to a far slower speed. An enormous orange gas cloud is looming right before us. Great. We're here.

"This is where the fun begins," I announce, smirking cheerfully, the familiar cold sensation of the controls under my hands.

"If we can just manage to navigate through my shortcut, we'll be alright," Anakin informs everyone as the two of us zip forwards towards the gas cloud, taking the lead.

"A nebula. Very unpredictable. I advise caution," Master Plo warns.

"Don't worry about us, Master Jedi," assures one of the clones, "We can hold our own."

"We've dealt with more dangerous things," I reply calmly. This is fine. We can do this. Fighting battles is harder than flying a fighter through unknown territory, though it is a similar concept. Just follow the Force. Let it guide you.

"Does anyone care what the Padawan thinks?" queries Ahsoka.

"Of course, we care, Snips, but we're still going through that nebula," Anakin replies.

"How are we supposed to see anything in there?" asks Alema, "Or are we not supposed to see anything and just zoom forwards as fast as possible and hope we don't hit anything?"

"There's ways to see other than with your eyes," I remind her, "Just watch the scanners. I'm flying, anyway."

"Can you see anything?" questions one of the clones.

"Just keep your eyes on my thrusters," Anakin replies. With the two of us in the lead, we continue our journey forwards. The nebula surrounds us on all sides now. Orange gasses swirl right outside the ship, along with faint traces of red and gold.

"The scanners are useless," Alema declares, "They're not picking up anything."

"Same over here," concurs Ahsoka.

"It's like I said," I reply, shrugging, "We have to fly in blind and trust the Force to guide us."

"This is old-fashioned flying," Anakin reminds us, "You have to feel your way through. Stay on course."

"Skywalker is right," Plo's voice comes over the communication signal, "Clear your mind, young ones, and you will see the path."

"Right now, I can't see anything at all," Ahsoka grumbles. From her tone, I can almost see her staring through the glass walls of the fighter, trying to make out something beyond the haze of gas surrounding us on all sides.

"Luckily, I don't think there's anything to see. Except haze," Alema adds. I hide a smirk as I feel my brother's amusement through our bond. Qui-Gon was right. Padawans were just what we needed. It's not for training as much as it is taking care of someone. Somehow, it brings a sense of light through the darkness of the war. Sure, it's exciting and all, but the death and destruction it always brings is anything but. There is nothing, nothing I hate worse than remaining standing alone while all my friends die around me. Not spending time with them would only make it worse. These are my men, my brothers-in-arms. They're mine to command, and not knowing them would prevent the necessary trust from being established. Plus, it would mean not fully understanding the cost of war, as many of the Jedi don't.

"I always know where I'm going," declares one of the clones.

"And where's that, Broadside?" asks another.

"I'm going to blow up that battleship." Clones. They always act like brothers.

"A clear path if there ever was one," Master Plo murmurs as we continue flying. So far, I haven't sensed anything, but I highly doubt this journey will be completely uneventful. If it were, I'd be scared, because nothing in our life ever goes as smoothly as that.

"How did you know about this shortcut?" asks Ahsoka, breaking the momentary silence.

"I was about to ask the exact same thing," Alema chimes in, "Because I'm fairly certain no one learned about it at the Temple. I've never heard anything about it."

"It's an old smuggler's route," Anakin explains, "The pilots used to talk about it on Tatooine."

"A smuggler's route?!" exclaims Ahsoka, "Oh, that makes me feel better." Sarcasm drips from every syllable. I chuckle.

"At least you heard it from somewhere and didn't just decide it would be an excellent idea to fly through a nebula no one's ever made it through before," replies Alema dryly.

"We aren't trying to get everyone killed you know," I quip.

"Couldn't have guessed."

I can almost feel my brother rolling his eyes. "They call it the Balmorra Run," he informs everyone with far too much cheer.

"Balmorra Run?" echoes Plo, sounding alarmed.

"I think I'm picking up a contact," Ahsoka suddenly reports anxiously. I feel a slight ripple of danger through the Force. Sure enough, we're about to run into something unfriendly.

"Skywalker, listen to me," Plo exclaims worriedly, "We need to turn around."

"Too late for that," I state flatly.

"We can't," Anakin argues, "Not if we're going to catch Grievous."

"Another contact!" cries Ahsoka, really worried this time, "This one's much larger!"

"I'm picking them up here too," Alema yelps.

"Skywalker, this nebula is the nesting ground of the giant Neebray mantas," Plo warns. Yes, we know that. We just need to be careful and make our way around it.

"Another!" cries Ahsoka, "Another!" Just then, in between the blinding clouds of orange gases and dust, an enormous creature appears that looks a little like a way oversized brown whale, except it's floating in space.

"Take evasive action!" Anakin yells. All ships immediately scatter, flying around and over the enormous creature as it plunges forward between us. Now that we're past the densest part of the nebula, I can see much more clearly. There's a fairly straight path all the way through, but those strange creatures are swarming everywhere in here. I'm estimating at least half a dozen right in front of us. Great.

I quickly lower the ship to avoid being struck by a falling fin-like projection and maneuver around it, heading onwards towards what I know the exit is.

"Don't shoot or they'll panic," Plo warns everyone as our ships fly between several more of the monstrous creatures.

"They'll panic?!" Ahsoka practically yells. "I'm about to panic!"

"Partners!" cries Alema as our ship narrowly misses being hit again only to fly straight at another creature.

"Which is why we didn't want you two to fly," I remind, earning a long groan from Alema. The panic pouring through our bond is only increasing by the moment.

"There's so many of them!" exclaims one of the clones.

One of the clones doesn't quite manage to miss a flailing fin and the ship is struck hard. The tale end catches fire as he struggles to maintain control of the ship. "I'm hit!" he calls.

"Pull it together, Matchstick!" Anakin calls. Slowly the flames begin to dwindle somewhat, and the ship stops shaking so much.

"Okay, I got it," Matchstick declares. Thank the Force. We can't lose anyone. We can't afford it. We're going to need everyone we can if we're going to destroy Grievous' ship.

We fly onwards with Anakin in the lead, barely managing to avoid hitting the creatures every time. These things are huge. I hope they don't normally eat starships for meals. I wouldn't exactly be surprised if they did.

"These things are going to make a meal out of us!" Ahsoka worries, clearly having the same thoughts as me. There are three more right in front of us, and the gas is thickening again, making it harder to see so who knows how many are after that. Is there no end to these monsters?

"I thought we were supposed to be fighting Grievous, not giant space creatures!" exclaims Alema.

"All in due time," I respond, reaching out with the Force, remaining attuned with our surroundings. "Besides, we're not fighting these things. We're avoiding them."

"If you say so."

"All of you, line up behind me!" commands Anakin.

"Onto that, general," a clone replies as we immediately a line our ships behind his, flying between their ever-moving wings. We carefully move onwards, past two more.

"Hurry," warns Plo like that isn't what we're already doing, "They will not follow us beyond the nebula." Right in front of us, I can see another enormous creature staring at us and opening its giant mouth, revealing huge teeth.

"That one looks hungry!" shouts Ahsoka.

"He's just smiling at you!" Anakin smirks.

"Forgive my skepticism," grumbles Alema, shuddering as we fly over its head and under another wing. "What else would they eat all the way out here?"

"How about we do some research on when we get back to the Temple?" I offer.

"We're coming out of it," Ahsoka declares in relief as the gas thins out to reveal the blackness of space in front of us. Finally, our fighters fly through the last pit of the orange nebula gas and out into open space, the space station in the distance ahead. And we're the only ones here right now. We made it right on time.

"All clear," Alema reports, sagging in relief.

"Hope your shortcut paid off," sighs Ahsoka.

"Looks like it did," I respond, scanning the area. There's nothing but open space aside from the station, and if Grievous was here by now, we'd definitely be able to see the ship.

"We're not far behind Grievous now," my brother declares. And now, it's time for us to wait.

Anakin Skywalker

"Another contact! I thought those things wouldn't follow us," Ahsoka exclaims suddenly as we fly towards the station.

"Not following us," replies one of the clones. "Coming out of hyperspace. It's the Malevolence." Ironic how the Separatists always give their ships names like that. They always have such dark names.

Not far from us, an enormous ship jumps out of hyperspace. Lights eliminate the many stories on the huge ship, the familiar lights I recognize from before when it nearly pulverized us. The ship immediately flies straight towards the medical station.

And now the battle will begin. The fighters have now returned to their usual formation, and we fly towards the massive ship. I can see three medical transport leaving the medical station. At least they got here and were able to start trying to evacuate the clones. Suddenly, the ion cannon on the side of the ship roars to life. The familiar purple energy blast shoots out – reminding me far too much of the last time I saw it fired and we nearly ended up being caught in that blast, but I don't have time to worry about that now – heading straight for the transports which are taking the clones out of the station. Of course, Grievous would do that. The many guns on the ship open fire on the transports, tearing them apart as the ion cannon neutralizes their shields.

"We've got fighters coming in!" warns Ahsoka as we fly full speed towards the Malevolence. The droids start shooting at us, and we return the fire.

"Get those fighters off us!" I call as I maneuver out of the way just in time to avoid getting hit.

"Your crazy flying is making it difficult," Ahsoka groans as she fires a few more times at the vulture droids.

The ion cannon suddenly fires again, this time heading straight for us. "Incoming!" screams Ahsoka.

"Give it everything you've got!" I shout, instantly spinning the fighter upwards to avoid the incoming energy blast. It might be able to follow ships to an extent, but if you dive out of the way and to the side, it's path won't change. All the other fighters instantly zip after.

"Matchstick, your speed is dropping. What's wrong?" I hear Ahsoka ask as I throw the fighter into full speed.

"Nothing's wrong, I'm just trying to stick together," he replies.

"You can make it," I urge, "Hang on." My statement is promptly met with a cry of alarm as his ship bursts into flames, crashing into the one behind it. Both of them spiral, burning, out of sight. And just like that, two more lives are lost to the senseless war. Ahsoka gasps in horror.

Not a moment too soon, I pull the fighter over the edge of the blast, narrowly avoiding being hit. "Shadow Squadron, check in," I command. I have no doubt more than just those two were lost in the fight. Even I barely managed to make it over the edge.

"We lost Matchstick and Tag," Ahsoka informs, "Shadows six, seven, and ten were caught in the array."

My attention is drawn back to the Malevolence as the guns on the ship turn to start shooting at us. As the fighters continue flying towards the battleship, several of them take hit from the laser fire. We keep pushing on anyway. I hate it, but this is the cost of war. We have to stick together and keep moving so we destroy Grievous. With him and this ship down, it will be a huge blow to the Separatists.

"Master!" cries Ahsoka as the red laser fire continues to fly past our ship. "We need a new plan!"

"You can make it, Ahsoka! Hang in there!" I call back to her as those of us who remain fly closer and closer. "Watch those towers, boys!" I order as I send the fighter diving down right above the Malevolence, heading for our target.

"We're too close! Loosen up!" one of the clones shouts to the others as another one of them is hit and the fighter bursts into flames. It smashes into the battleship in an explosion of fire, debris flying everywhere.

"Master, you and Aniya can make it, but everyone else is being shot down," Ahsoka protests as we continue. True enough. We need to find a new way. Time to improvise.

"If we can do enough damage, the weapon may overload when Grievous tries to fire," Plo suggests. Yes, that's perfect. And since it's away from the guns, it will be much less risky.

"Shadow squadron," I call. "New target. We're taking out starboard ion cannons." Ahsoka lets out a sigh of relief from behind me.

"Anakin. Take the right. I'll take the left," Aniya says as her fighter splits off from the rest.

"I'm on it," I agree, continuing to zoom along under constant fire from the ship before finally reaching the edge. The fighter formation breaks apart then, Aniya diving over one side and me diving downwards back towards the cannon. The cannons are within firing range just as the they start to fire up, purple electricity crackling across the weapon. We're not one moment too soon.

"Torpedoes away," I order, firing. The torpedoes hit the ion cannon, instantly exploding. The ship jolts from the force of it. Our job is done. The cannons won't work anymore. Turning, I swiftly lead the remainder of the squadron away to safety, heading towards the medical station.

The ion cannons start charging again, only to suddenly explode, violently shaking the Malevolence. Explosions ring out all over the huge ship as both sides start on fire, which quickly spreads to the surrounding areas. We won. For now.

"Good work, Shadow Squadron. Nice job, Ahsoka and Alema," Plo congratulates.

Suddenly, three Republic ship emerge from hyperspace. Right on time, Obi-Wan finally arrived. "Anakin, Aniya, do you copy?" he inquires.

"We're here," I reply.

"Congratulations. It looks like your mission was a success."

"Already fought and won," Aniya offers. "Or so far, it has been."

"Partially, but Grievous is still alive," I reply, "The battle was pretty rough on my men. We're heading for the medical station."

"We'll take it from here, but don't worry. We'll call when we need you," assures Obi-Wan.

Moments later, all the fighters are docked in the hanger bay. Ahsoka climbs out first. Just as I start down the ladder, Master Plo walks up. "Great job, Master Skywalker. Your leadership skills are most impressive."

"You didn't do so bad yourself," I reply, climbing the rest of the way down the ladder.

"Uh, excuse me!" huffs Ahsoka, "I believe it was my suggestion to change the plans."

"That's kind of true, Snips," I retort as I catch up with Plo who's started heading off, "From a certain point of view."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.8K 2.2K 17
The Force gives the Jedi Twins a chance to save their father and hopefully their mother. Only having their mother's diary to help them on their bigge...
4.1K 87 11
This book takes place a couple months after the second book in this series, Star Wars: Grey, and before the Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones movie...
184K 4K 67
BOOK TWO IN THE SKYWALKER TWIN SERIES . I highly recommend you read the first book first. But I can't stop you so do what you want lol. The grammar i...
986 27 15
As the Clone Wars worsen, Anakin and Aniya struggle with the aftermath of losing their Padawans. Elsewhere in the galaxy, Ahsoka and Alema search for...