Beauty and the Nerd

By keys15

Beauty: the one and only Kassandra Grand aka Kassie. 5'4, great smile, golden hair made from the gods, brown... More

Beauty and the Nerd Chapter one
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten status update
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Four

1.1K 32 15
By keys15

Chapter Twenty-Four

My heart stops in denial of what happened. I'm pretty sure I black out for a good 10 seconds after I hear Tyler. Wow, you never think it will be your own flesh and blood that will betray you like that. I'm not chewing; I'm not looking up at anyone to see their reactions; I am a stone statue.

Hannah's green eyes bore into my body, Mikey's gulp can be heard across the room, my mother fixes her napkin in distraction, while my father, who is oblivious to what is happening, comments on how he cooked the steak a little too well. Tyler's expression reconciles what he's done.

There's no way Kassie could be more embarrassed than me at the moment. I swear my cheeks are heating up singing "Burn baby burn..." There is no going back from this. There is no disco. Only inferno.

Underneath the table is a hard "thump" and Tyler immediately bursts out, "I mean...Peter has an undying love for Kassie's brownies!" Uh...what? Most of our heads turn to the brownies on the table. My paralyzed state becomes a confused one instead.

"Um...I didn't bring-" Kassie begins to say.

"Yeah, they are so good!" My sister cuts in and grabs a brownie off the plate in the middle of the table. Mikey immediately zones in on the brownies and grabs one as well.

I glare at Tyler as he makes an "oops" face. There's no way a redirection of "Peter being in love with Kassie," can turn into brownies and be convincing.

He is not getting away with this. Tyler has thrown me into a rabbit hole, and I'm about to take him down with me. "Oh, by the way, how has Judy been Tyler?" I pick up the vegetable bowl, "I hear you are getting along well with her," I nonchalantly say while piling peas on my plate, knowing the repercussions of bringing her up. I'll do anything to get away from the subject at hand.

"Ooooh," My mother lights up with a hopeful glimmer in her eyes, "Judy Heathen? She is such a sweet girl, Tyler. You can't go wrong with a girl like that," She continues to ramble on about Judy coming over as a little girl and possibly mentioning this to Tyler's mom.

You're dead, Tyler mouths to me.

I glance over at Kassie next to me who has a puzzled look on her face. She picks at her ripped jeans in obvious contemplation. Mikey notices and places his hand over hers.

The rest of dinner goes off without a hitch. My parents talk to Kassie about her family and how her dad is doing. The conversation continues about Mikey's football season ending soon, thanksgiving coming up, and Hannah's future road trip across the country. Followed by my parents questioning how good of an idea that is.

Being present in the conversation becomes difficult due to my brooding cringeyness from the situation. I'd give anything to know what Kassie thought in that 10 seconds of silence. Would she like the idea of me being in love with her? Does she already know and choose to ignore it? Does she feel bad for me because she's in love with my brother? There are so many answers I'd like to know.

I instinctively brush my bangs to the front of my glasses and eyes, looking down at my plate of peas. I don't even like peas.

******************************************************************

When the rest of the night played out in my head, I did not imagine this: me sitting in the backseat of the jeep with Mikey and Kassie in the front. Mikey, Kassie and I went out for ice cream at the local creamery before dropping her off at home, and I volunteered to bring back ice cream for the others. I am bringing back a quart of rocky chip ice cream home for my mom and sister. Not so much volunteered but told.

For supposedly understanding my enormous crush on Kassie, my sister was awfully eager to have me go get ice cream for her. I see how it is. Ice cream over family.

We pull into Kassie's blacktop driveway lined with trees. Her house is modest and a pale yellow. The jeep's interior lights brighten as we pull to a stop to let her out.

Unexpectedly, she turns towards me in the back seat, brushing her light strands back as she locks her dark caramel eyes with mine. "Do you think we can get together soon and study more trig? I'm still not catching on to some of the formulas."

Of course, it is about studying. "Yeah...no problem," I give a small smile back.

She says a quick thanks and I'll call you as she exits the Jeep. Mikey steps out to walk her to the door.

The front door to Kassie's house opens with Owen running down the steps like a bullet out of a gun. His dinosaur pajamas and little matching slippers protect his body from the fall cold.

"Kassie, Kassie, Kassie!" He runs to her. Her face lights up and she scoops him up in her arms swiftly. "Yay, you are home and can rwead me a bedtime storwe."

"Owen! You can't just run out of the house like that!" Mrs. Grand yells from the door.

Mikey greets Owen and Owen curls into Kassie's arms even further. He makes a shy face and says "Hi."

"You know who else is here?" Kassie says in an excited voice.

"Who?" Owen coos back.

"Peter!" Kassie walks towards the back of the jeep with Owen in her arms towards my window and I immediately roll it down.

"Peter!" Owen's little chubby cheeks curve up in a grin.

I don't have much experience with little kids, but there's a part of me that can't help but love them.

"Hey little guy, are you being good for your sister and family? You're not running off anymore right?" I tease him.

Owen's little hands clasp together and he sways back and forth in her arms. "No..." He trails off knowing what he just did. "Are you going to rwead me a bedtime storwe too?"

"Peter and Mikey have to go home but maybe they can another night?" Kassie winks towards me. I feel my cheeks blush a tad bit. Owen's face gets excited and he starts to go on about how we can play with his toys too. "You need to go to bed little man, why don't you go inside while I say goodbye?" Kassie kneels down to put him on the ground.

"Ookayy, but I do want a bedtime storwe," Owen pouts. Kassie reassures him she will be inside soon. Once he's on the ground he says a quick, "BYE!" with a sporadic wave of his hand and runs back to the house.

"He seems to like you," Kassie smiles at me.

"I am honored," We share a small laugh together. Mikey's phone rings and he picks up, shuffling away from a short distance. I can only assume my sister called him requesting that the goods, aka the ice cream, is on it's way.

"You don't have to worry about what Tyler said tonight," Kassie gives a small shrug "I know how much he likes to tease and pick on you. I don't want you to think that I take what he says seriously." Her smile trails to the side in half heartedness. My face and thoughts seem to go blank, realizing that the failed and terrible attempt of making her forget didn't work.

"Talk to you soon." She gives a small wave as she slowly steps away towards the house. The breeze outside carries her perfume inside the vehicle as I roll the window back up. A soft cherry blossom scent surrounds me and leaves me wanting to hug her goodbye, engorging myself deeper into wishing she was mine.

To save myself the heartbreak, I should stare down and scroll through my phone while he walks her to her front door. My phone would be a better view instead of watching them kiss goodbye. But I don't look away. Kassie steps in front of the door and turns around to hug him. Her arms go around his waist and his around her shoulders, her small frame easily hidden behind his. It is a brisk hug and as they slowly pull apart, they are speaking to each other. If only I could read lips from this far away. Kassie shrugs her shoulders and Mikey gives them a small squeeze.

I can only assume they say "goodbye" as they both step away from each other. Mikey begins to walk back to the car and I can't help but feel unsettled. I can only think of one reason why they wouldn't kiss goodbye. And that's because I'm here.

******************************************************************

"You know, people don't kiss for many reasons," Gabe assures me while I stuff my belongings in my locker. Gabe's tall stature casually leans against the locker to the left of me. Yes, I am still thinking about last night and yes, I seem to have a one track mind. "Her brother could have been standing at the door waiting for her or even scarier, her father. The last thing they would want to do is kiss in front of them."

"Yeah, I guess that's true. My initial thought was that they didn't kiss because they are trying to spare my feelings," I say as I pull my graphic tee down after taking off my jacket, "There is a window on the door so it would be easy to see. I guess Owen or her father seeing does make a lot of sense."

"Exactly, you're overthinking it." He puts his hand on my shoulder and gives me a little shake. My major concern stems from Kassie possibly knowing I like her. I get it. So many already know. That doesn't mean I want her to know. Especially since she doesn't seem to feel the same way. The humiliation that comes with that truth isn't one I'm ready to face.

"I just don't know how to face her if she knows and doesn't reciprocate my feelings."

"Peter...I hate to break it to you, but she doesn't feel it back regardless if she knew or not. She is with your brother. They are together. I don't see why she would be with him if she didn't have feelings for him."

I nod my head in agreement while collecting my books for first period. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Kassie walking down the hall towards her locker. Since our last names are close to each other in the alphabet, her locker is about 7 lockers over. The distance is further than it seems considering a classroom door is also separating us.

Her hair is tied up into a ponytail today, with a purple velvet scrunchie holding it together. Kassie's olive green military jacket compliments her skin tone while underneath she wears a purple casual blouse. Yes, I can notice these details out of the corner of my eye, thanks for asking.

I notice her open her locker as Gabe talks about his Fantasy War console game last night. He's pissed because he can't figure out how to beat one of the bosses. He's even more annoyed Tanner was able to beat the boss.

A letter flutters out of her locker as she opens it, falling almost like a feather- I am listening to Gabe, I promise. Kassie bends down to pick up the letter and opens it up, reading with mild annoyance and a preposterous look on her face. She stuffs the letter in her pocket, clearly frustrated.

The bell rings and we have to go to homeroom. None of her problems are my problems. I've got to remember that. Other than chemistry that is.

"Can you believe my sword isn't strong enough to take on the gremlin? Like my elf's big toe is stronger than that thing, how can I not beat it?" Gabe says in disbelief.

"I'm surprised you haven't looked up the cheat code for it yet" I grimace at him.

"What?" Gabe gasps in fake disbelief, "I would never." He clutches his heart as if we both don't know I am right.

"Come on, Mr. Moral Compass," I close my locker and quickly fix my glasses, "Let's get going."

*****************************************************************

A couple days have passed and I'm just glad it is Friday. I've been focused on school and work the past couple days. Kassie hasn't been around to take up my thoughts, and it has been a nice break from overthinking. Gabe is about to give me a ride home in his ford focus. His girlfriend is also in the car with us.

"Hellooo Friday!" Jessie says enthusiastically. "Next week is thanksgiving and I am just so happy that we will only have a three-day week. And just think, you'll be coming to my house for thanksgiving and meeting my family! I can't wait for that either!" Gabe smiles back at her in the rearview happily. If I didn't know him as well as I do, I wouldn't think he was nervous. But I can tell from the gulp he took once she mentioned the word 'family.'

"When is Judy coming?" I ask. We are still in the school parking lot waiting. As a collective group, we volunteered Gabe to drive us home today. I could go home with Mikey, but he has football practice and I would rather not wait around school for two hours.

Gabe is tapping his fingers on the steering wheel as "Highway to Hell" plays on the radio. "That's a good question."

"I think she mentioned something about a school project or meeting when I saw her in French," Jessie inputs.

Right. The history project she's paired up with Tyler for. God bless her soul. They are such an odd pair. Judy, the most likely valedictorian of our grade with Tyler, the dumb ass of our grade. Okay, okay, maybe not a dumb ass but an ass ass.

Of course, right there and then, Judy comes huffing and puffing out of the school doors, books in hand and her backpack clearly weighing her down. Tyler follows suit, waving his hands around looking more ruffled than usual. I can't hear their conversation, but it must not be going well considering I've seen her snap back at him two times already while on her way to the car.

Judy finally reaches us and grabs the door handle. She practically throws her items in the car and makes a big sigh as she sits down. I turn towards her to see her hair falling out of her braid and her cheeks flushed with frustration.

"I don't want him riding home with us," Judy says while crossing her arms.

Tyler approaches the focus, about to reach for the door handle when Judy quickly locks it.

"Come on now," Tyler shakes his head, "I gotta get home too, you know." Gabe's window is down, allowing the conversation, or should I say heated confrontation, to continue.

"That's not my problem."

"Well you're becoming my problem."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm not letting you off on an easy A and making you work. Poor Tyler." Judy does a fake crying face.

"I already told you that I would prefer to do the project on a different subject, but no. We have to do it Judy Heathen's way." Tyler mocks her back.

"People care about the first woman astronaut, not about the first motorcycle created," Judy sneers.

"Okay, guys, can we just get in the car and go home?" I ask.

"No!" Tyler and Judy say simultaneously.

The fighting continues in the background as I lose my will to care. The parking lot begins to fan out, with vehicles leaving and students getting into other cars or buses. A van pulls away a few spots down, and I recognize Kassie's old two-door blue civic.

The perfect view of Kassie and Brandon sitting in her car. It's too far to distinguish what type of conversation they are having. The real question is why would Kassie even tolerate him in her car in the first place. Isn't what he's done enough? And Mikey isn't around to know about this. That is not my problem though. And neither is the situation between her and Brandon.

There are times I forget Kassie has the bracelet and I haven't confronted her yet about it. I wussed out the first time. I'm just lucky she found it rather than some random stranger. That night is still ingrained in my mind.

"If you won't let me in the car, I know someone else who will. I have vital information," Tyler raises an eyebrow, daring to be tested.

Judy shakes her head in disagreement, "I doubt the people in this car give two shits about what you have to say. What are you, a fifteen-year-old girl spreading gossip?"

Tyler shifts his stance and looks me in the eyes, "A little birdy told me some interesting information that involves Peter and Kassie." His smirk widens, knowing it is a hook, line, and sinker.

There's a good chance whatever Tyler has to say is purely B.S. Am I still interested in hearing? Yes. Am I interested in seeing the outcome of Kassie and Brandon's car conversation? Not really. "Get in the car and tell us on the way home," I say without hesitation.

Gabe unlocks all the doors, not without an eye roll from Judy, and Tyler hops in. He squeezes in next to her, and with a vile look on his face, he goes to put his arm around the back of the seat. Judy smacks him in the chest with a textbook.

"Don't even think about it," She threatens.

Gabe puts his foot on the gas and we are on our way home.

*****************************************************************

Thank you to everyone who has kept up with this story. I apologize for the years-long wait. No excuse is good enough or justifiable.  I hope I can make up for it with this and future chapters to come. :)

Please vote, comment, and share this story.

I promise the next update won't be so long.

Kindly,

Keys15

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.1M 226K 70
Miss Perfect, Courtney Collins, has everything a teenage girl could ever wish for. She has the Pretty Face, Perfect Figure, Popularity, Fortune, Frie...
113K 3.3K 49
[Featured on @YARomance, @NA, @Teenfiction, @Contemporarylit] "I feel him lean closer towards me and softly whispers into my ear, 'I just want the be...
11.1K 492 39
COMPLETED Burton High is not a white-collared, run of the mill school. We've got the art kids, we've got the weird goths that hang around one particu...
142K 5.2K 23
One of the main characters of this story isn't your average pretty, size zero, micro mini type of girls. Let me introduce Ava Jacobson. Now don't get...