Prey

By cannoness

In this life, a human without the money to pay for their own life is worth nothing. Take those humans in as p... More

Copyright
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 49 (Doe's POV)
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 93 (Doe's POV)
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Book 2
Physical Copies ᕕ( ᐛ)ᕗ

Chapter 69

33.9K 2.4K 1.2K
By cannoness

Doe's POV:

It felt like it had been forever since Xander and I ate in the dining hall.

And being here again made me realize that I didn't miss it at all.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Xander didn't either, but I was the one who insisted we go for dinner.

In hopes that Nico would also be here.

Just to at least try to get them talking again.

I knew the whole apology discussion between those two would happen in private, but Xander was so outwardly nervous about it that I felt like maybe it would be easier if he got eased into it.

But alas, he wasn't here.

I couldn't blame him. I think the only reason either of them dined down here was to have the company of the other.

And Xander kind of stopped showing up.

At least the dining room was relatively safe.

Layla rarely journeyed down here, and even if she did, it was too crowded for her to try anything.

Plus... Xander said he'd take care of it.

I let out a very dramatized sigh, leaning against him, and laying my head back against his shoulder to look at the roof.

I was already bored and the food wasn't even here yet.

Although I will admit, sitting on his lap like this did feel different than the previous times.

It was just...more comfortable.

Although the fact that we couldn't talk to each other like we usually did out in public did put a damper on things.

Well, I guess we could we just... didn't.

It was unspoken, but I'm sure we both knew how strange our relationship was compared to how others viewed their pets.

His arms snaked around my stomach, the view hidden from the other vampires here.

"Yeah, I don't think he's coming," He quietly reaffirmed my thoughts, as to not draw too much attention, "I'm ready to just dip and eat back at the room. You in?"

I thought for a moment with the hope that maybe Nico could just be late, but he was never the late-type.

And although Xander was nervous, I knew this wasn't just an attempt to try to run away from this.

I gave a subtle nod before lifting my head, just as he scooted back the seat.

I had just barely gotten to my feet before a voice boomed from the front of the room.

"Attention," The male voice boomed, effectively grabbing just that as the rest of the chattering fell quiet, "Can I have your attention, please! This announcement is for pet owners and those alike. Your pets are to be reported by you to the front of the castle tomorrow afternoon for the annual pet checkup. It is suggested that you get out of them what you need tonight, for they won't be returned to you till two days after. My associates and I will be stationed by the exit with your forms. Please bring them with your pet tomorrow. That will be all."

I nearly rolled my eyes as the conversations started back up.

This again.

I had only done it once before since my pet mistress had the authorization to take care of everything herself, but it seemed more like a hassle than anything.

I knew that it was coming up, but I would have thought it would be another week before I had to worry about it

"Tomorrow? Really? They couldn't have given us this a few days earlier?" Xander chastised as he finally rose to his feet beside me.

"Vampires have never been too good at planning ahead," I commented casually as we both began walking.

"That's... true, but still. It just kinda feels too soon." There sounded to be a pinch in his voice.

I walked so I was just barely a step behind him, habitually keeping my eyes straight ahead.

"You sound worried," I spoke, mostly just to poke fun at him.

"I just- I know that whole thing just can't be a comfy process for you."

I shrugged.

"It's not, but it's not the worst thing ever either."

It's just a couple hundred pets all shoved in a room for a bit and then prodded at.

Nothing worse than what I've already gone through.

The vampires that work it too are always a little trigger-happy, but that's nothing new.

Just stay quiet and you'll be fine.

I'll take it over Layla any day.

Xander just grumbled a quiet response.

"Plus it gives you a whole two-day vacation from me? Isn't that nice?" I teased, honestly just wanting to see how he'd react.

He simply scoffed, not even taking the time to consider it that way.

"I think it's more the other way around," he replied, gently nudging me with his elbow.

Our antics had to come to a stop once we got close enough to one of the 'associates' mentioned prior.

"Name?" He snapped the second we walked up to his little table.

It gave me a fair assumption on how the rest of the vampires working this thing will be acting.

Great.

"Vanderwood."

The poor dude's face blanched embarrassingly fast, apparently recognizing the last name.

Sometimes I forget that Xander is technically considered royalty, even if it wasn't in his parent's land.

He cleared his throat while shuffling through the papers, speaking his next words much kinder.

"Would that be Alexander or Nicolas?"

Hearing their full names sometimes just felt so weird.

"I'll actually take them both," Xander began, "My brother isn't here, so I'll drop his off for him."

Oooh, still planning on talking to Nico tonight then?

Extra points for Xander.

"Right, of course, sir," He bent over to scribble something down on another piece of paper, picking out the two from the initial pile.

He handed them over, speaking again once Xander had them in his hand.

"Please have the lines filled out by the time you drop them off tomorrow, and be sure to get what use out of her you need before then."

His back looked to be uncomfortably straight.

"Oh don't worry," Xander said with a grin, "I will."

Huh?

I rose a brow as we began to walk out.

Once we were far enough away, I spoke again.

"Hey, Xander?"

"Mhm?"

"What the hell was that supposed to mean?"

His eyes crinkled as he suppressed a snicker.

"Relax, the poor guy just looked like he was about to wet himself. I was tryna get him to ease up. Although I would like to 'use' you for some body-heat again. If you're offering of course." he spoke shamelessly, air quotes and all.

I rolled my eyes.

"Uhhu, We'll see," was my flat reply.

Even though I was more than willing to let that happen, he didn't need to know that yet.

I wasn't ready to admit to him how soundly I slept after what happened last night.

Not was I ready to even admit it to myself.

He was just safe and had proven to an extent that he'd protect me.

And he was a lot comfier than he looked.

"Anyway, what's up with your parents if just their name made that guy suddenly behave?" I questioned," They must be scary."

Xander didn't talk a lot about his parents, but now I was curious.

Another quiet chuckle came from him as if the thought itself was laughable.

"No, it's not really that, my family name is just very well known in the vampire community due to the fact that our family line as royals have had very few incidents in our lineage, leading us to be one of the more respected royal families." He explained.

Oh... No wonder he didn't wanna put any issues on his family name.

I squinted a bit as I looked him over.

It was strange knowing that he was an heir.

Even though I've known this fact since the beginning of when he got me, it just always felt strange to accept.

"I can only imagine that guy got all twisted because the people who live here relate lords and ladies with fear because most of them have only lived under Bronwyn's rule their whole lives and don't know any better."

Hearing that made me realize that I didn't know any better either.

It made me curious.

"I wanna visit your home someday."

Xander's entire stance perked up, "Oh yeah? That can definitely be arranged. We can make a trip out of it or something."

That... sounded really nice.

Anything to get out of here and far away from Layla.

And just to see something other than this city since all I've ever known is Lord and Lady Bronwyn.

Wait...

"Is there a Lady Bronwyn," I asked.

If there was, I've never seen or heard her title be spoken.

Xander didn't answer for a few seconds.

"That's uh," His face contorted in a 'yikes' kind of way, "That's a long, complicated story."

Well, that didn't do anything to sate my curiosity now did it?

"I like stories," I pushed.

Luckily he looked to see my answer as entertaining.

"Then I'll tell you the whole story later. Sometime when we're not walking in public for the whole city to hear the truth.

Oh? Is it a secret to the rest of the citizens here?

Well, that certainly makes things interesting.

"Fine, I guess," I sighed my defeat, "But to Nico's room first, Right?"

"To Nico's room first."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 305 53
There are certain known facts about vampires. They revile change. They are obsessive-compulsive. They are illogical. They are cursed. They will burst...
21.2K 732 20
"Everything is an act. My bright smile, my happy face, my friendly attitude. I acted like I was fine when I was in that hell, and I'm doing the same...
122K 3.2K 26
Cover made by dogpower77 - Raven is just like any other 18 year old on the planet, with a few exceptions. One, she's a Werewolf. A Werewolf that wi...
5.5K 132 23
And I woke up. My god.. a memory turning into nightmares is the worst. Until I looked down, I didn't realize I was scratching my arms but they were a...