To the Ground

By survivalofth3fittest

World War IV ended in genocide of the entire world. Luckily, Alyssa Sefarina had a plan to protect and preser... More

TO THE GROUND
PART ONE: UQESA
1.1 To Start Civilization
1.2 Deadly Discoveries
1.3 Deadly Decisions
1.4 All But A Memory
1.5 Survival Of The Fittest
1.6 Die For Her
1.7 Kill for Her
1.8 Burn It Down
1.9 Red Tears Fall The Most

1.10 Hell Falls

25 4 11
By survivalofth3fittest

    "Rarity isn't back yet," Stated Ezra, who was thankfully up and walking despite his lingering nausea. "I'm worried, Jasper."

    Jasper swallowed hard and turned to the other teen. As he thought of a reply, his gaze shifted to the sky. The clouds were a dark gray, though bright green neon-colored lightning spread throughout them, threatening to strike the ground below. His brows furrowed. It didn't take a genius to know it wasn't normal.

    "Ezra, I need you to announce to everyone that there's a nasty storm and to get in their tents," Jasper said.

    Ezra didn't question it, "Hey! Look at the sky and get in your tents!"

    They broke into scattered chatter before obeying, the sound of the snow crinkling beneath their feet filling the air. Some went into tents with people they considered new friends or acquaintances while others preferred to be alone. Jasper and Ezra managed to squeeze together. The curly-haired teen rubbed his shoulder as Jasper zipped the tent.

    "She probably found shelter somewhere from the storm," Jasper suggested.

    "I hope so." Ezra agreed.

    "How do you feel?"

    "Like I was stabbed in the shoulder with snake venom and my boyfriend was murdered," He replied bluntly before shrugging, "A bit better, I guess."

    Jasper wasn't sure how to reply, though Ezra's mind was full of words now that he finally had a chance to talk to the leader.

    "What went on in your head that made you think you could take Aster Anson's leadership?"

    Jasper was seemingly startled by the question, "What?"

    "You're the only person who stood up to Aster, yet you can't raise your voice above what a teacher would call an 'indoor voice'." He paused, "Something isn't adding up here."

    "I knew Dahlia was going to be with me, so I wasn't worried about my voice. Just my decisions. Which I've clearly failed at." Jasper sharply sighed, feeling his heart sink into his gut.

    "Not all of it, I think."

    "Well, I don't know. The only reason I offered my leadership was that everybody hates Aster for what he did in space -- so do I."

    Ezra shrugged, "None of us have ever been down here. None of us should be expected to always do the right thing. I guess it's more about morality. Aster can't get rid of what he did on the ship, but I guess I expected him to at least be more empathetic."

    "Yeah. Dahlia should be here right now. Is it dumb that I blame myself for Blaire and Dahlia's disappearance?" Jasper began to play sheepishly with his fingers.

    "I blame myself for Moon's death. Hell, I can blame myself for Blaire and Dahlia, too. The fact of the matter is you can blame yourself for anything, Jasper. But the only people to blame are the ones who killed them. Don't be so hard on yourself, man." Ezra gave him a forced reassuring smile.

    Jasper took a moment to think about it -- and decided Ezra's words were true. Though, he continued to doubt his leadership and even began to consider simply giving it to Aster. If he managed to return, that is.

    Rain began to pelt down, bouncing off their tents. They could hear light sizzling sounds as the droplets met with the snow and it created an uneasy feeling. They were always taught that rain was cold, yet this was surely beyond hot and almost acidic considering its green tint they could spot dripping off the outsides of their shelter.

    "Why the hell is it green?" Ezra shouted.

    Jasper felt his chest tighten and eyes widen. None of it was normal. His head began to hurt as he overthought every little detail. Perhaps this rain shower was fatal, and that sent him into a cycle of short, fast-paced breaths. Ezra reached out, though he was terrified to touch him.

    "Hey, come on, dude! Everything will be okay." Ezra frantically reassured.

    "We're all -- we're going to die!" Jasper spoke breathlessly.

    "Slow down!" Ezra grabbed his wrists and held them tightly together so he wouldn't hit anything. "You need to calm down, man!"

    Jasper held his breath for a few seconds before letting out a slow exhale of oxygen, "Rarity and Aster are out there."

    "I know."

    "We can't lose them."

    Ezra raised his brows, "I know! But they are smart and they'll protect themselves! For all we know, this rain is safe and sound. Don't jump to conclusions, dude."

    "I can't help it," Jasper's face contorted in utter dejection.

    Ezra remained silent for a moment, eyes shifting between his dark ones, "If we were on the ship, I'd steal some of that good stuff from farming for you."

    Jasper sniffled, "What does that even mean?"

    Ezra shook his head, "Just say thanks."

    "I wish Dahlia were here," Jasper said. "I can't imagine what she and Blaire went through."

    He knew they inevitably felt pain. The amount of agony they experienced is something he didn't want to know. Sleeping at night was already a struggle.

    "Yeah. I feel like we've all been through a lot." Ezra frowned. "We deserve something nice. Like the candy they used to serve at the yellow cafe right next to the bay window. Or a hug. But listen, at least the people who have... died... don't have to deal with this."

    The green-eyed teen swallowed hard. Jasper could tell the one person that popped into his head was Moon. He ran his pale hand through his hair before continuing.

    "And do you think they're sad in the afterlife? No." He raised his brows, "You're clearly sad. I've been sad the second I came from my mother's womb. Because she also died that second. That's beside the point."

    "I'm more than just sad," Jasper stated. "I told everybody I would protect them and I've failed."

    "We're not little babies anymore, Jasper. We can make our own decisions. If they happen to be life-threatening, then that's their fault."

    Jasper shrugged, "I guess."

    Ezra nodded before inhaling sharply, "Now smell that radiation. Isn't it nice?"

    Jasper didn't reply. He stared at his shoe and began to untie and tie it repeatedly.   

    "You can't run from your problems if you're going to keep untying your shoe."

    He glared, "You're not funny, Ezra."

*

    Aster's skin burned like nothing he had ever felt. He stopped for a second, adjusting his grip on Dahlia who continued to rest on his back. She experienced the same acidic agony as him, groaning into his back muscles and crinkling her nose.

    He had thankfully found his gun where he left it on his way back. As he ran through the smoke and steaming hot droplets, all he could think about was Rarity. Had she made it back to camp? Was she met with fatal fates before she had to chance to set foot in civilization? He shook the thoughts away. He didn't have time to think about another person when he had two lives to lead to safety.

    "It hurts," Dahlia shouted.

    Aster flipped his wet hair out of his dark eyes, "I know!"

    The dropship could be seen in the distance. Aster forced his legs to move faster as they neared shelter. He then realized that the door was shut and he had no way inside. The brown-haired boy let out a frustrated groan, banging on the metal.

    "Fucking hell!" He screamed. "I can't take this anymore!"

    To Dahlia and Aster's luck, the door began to open. Inside stood a blonde girl with damp hair and reddening skin. She moved aside to allow them in.

    "Great minds think alike," She commented solemnly as she shut the door.

    Aster instantly placed Dahlia down on the floor and watched as she curled into a ball of utter discomfort. He rubbed his burning flesh, clenching his teeth tightly.

    "When did you get here?" Asked Aster, running his hands over his cheeks.

    "When the rain started. I don't understand why it burns the way it does, but I can't imagine how you feel." She had lost the emotion in her voice. Aster began to notice how sad she sounded.

    "Shit hurts. Are you alright, Dahlia?"

    She didn't reply. Aster figured she was in too much pain to make a sound. Her tight curls fell over her shoulder and covered the side of her face that he could've read if it was visible. Her protruding spine left an outline visible from her dirty white undershirt to the waistband of her shorts. Aster felt bad that they hadn't offered her any clothes, and even worse knowing that the droplets covered a bigger area of her skin than them. The rain had washed away some of her blood, revealing her gruesome scabs and wounds.

    Aster took off his sweatshirt and rested it on her waist. She didn't move. The only thing telling them that she was alive was the rhythmic rise and fall of her chest. He stepped back before taking a seat on the floor, rubbing his skin as if it would wash the pain away.

    "You'll feel fine in a little bit." Rarity assured.

    "I know." Aster paused, "The weather down here is unusual. Snow and then immediately rain? It's acidic. Probably from radiation, though we most definitely have nothing to worry about since our bodies have adapted to so much radiation in space."

    Rarity didn't have a reply. She stepped back against the wall and allowed her back to slide down the metal until she reached the floor. The first time she had seen the dropship and Aster Anson was with Blaire. They made jokes about him, though they were jealous of his transportation through space for it was much better than theirs. They experienced grass, sand, water, and sun for the very first time side by side. And now Blaire was gone. Rarity didn't know how to feel. She was thankful for the memories, but also furious that they couldn't make more. She had lost her little sister and best friend in one day.

    When her mind shifted back to the present, she had realized tears were flowing down her cheeks quickly and Aster was in front of her, brows furrowed. She swatted him away and covered her face.

    "Leave me the hell alone," She urged.

    "Fine." He remained calm before whispering in her ear, "Not a word about Blaire."

    She clamped her lips together and nodded. Her brown eyes glanced towards Dahlia. All she wanted was answers to the many questions lingering in her mind. Who killed Blaire Penn? Rarity would get her revenge one way or another. Her head began to feel hot as she grew angrier by the second. She couldn't have killed Aster before, but she was certain she wouldn't hesitate to murder someone now. Before, there was hope.

    A tear slipped from her cheek, though she instantly wiped it away. Aster sat on the ground across from Rarity, examining her features for a moment before speaking.

    "Why the hell did you leave me back there?" He mumbled, quiet enough to where Rarity could surely hear him but by the time they reached Dahlia's ears, words were incoherent.

    "I gave you back your stupid gun." She argued.

    "That isn't what I'm saying. You could've gotten yourself killed--" He paused, realizing his words were too selfless for his liking. "You could've gotten me killed."

    "Do you really think I care right now? After hearing my best friend is dead. You think I care?" She tucked a lock of wet hair behind her ear. "If you do, you're not as smart as they say you are."

    Aster's nose crinkled with anger, "That shit gets people killed."

    "Did anybody die?" She tilted her head to the side as her brows pulled further to the center, "No. Leave me alone, Aster."

    His shoulders slumped, balling his fists tightly in his lap.

    Abruptly, Dahlia began to loudly sob. Gut-wrenching cries tore through her aching chest and out of her mouth. Salty tears burned the cuts and wounds on her face, but it was nothing compared to the pain that spread through the entire length of her body.

    Rarity went to comfort her, but Aster stopped her. Dahlia needed alone time to process the event that had just happened. Aster knew that.

    They listened to her sobs and the rain hitting the metal outside. The brown-haired boy stood to his feet to received the radio. He hesitated for a moment, but decided the ship needed to know of the current events.

    "This is Aster Anson, here for a report." He said dryly.

    "This is your President," Zaiden happily replied.

    Rarity could see the shift in his eyes as the man's words patched through.

    "There seems to be acidic rain pelting down on us right now. I'm here in the dropship with two others, the rest of us are in camp."

    "Interesting. Have you touched it?"

    Aster nodded, "Yeah. It burned a lot at first, but now it's manageable."

    "Good." Zaiden paused for a moment. "Happy late-ish birthday. You're finally an adult."

    The teen wasn't able to say the first thing that came to mind. You forced me to grow up--

    "Thanks."

    "We miss you up here. You and that big brain of yours," Zaiden chuckled.

    Aster's chest grew very tight, though he wouldn't allow Rarity to find a reaction. He stared into her dark eyes as he replied.

    "I've got to go now, bye."

    "Wh-"

    Aster disconnected the radio from the control panel.

*

    Zaiden stared at his radio in disbelief. He grabbed his talky from his belt and pressed the button, hovering it over his lips.

    "Hux, can you come in here, please." He requested.

    Soon, she arrived. Her face was smeared with a bit of oil and her hair was a mess. A satisfied smile grew on his face. The ship would be done in no time.

    "I think my radio is broken." He told her.

    She did a quick examination, "I don't think so. Why?"

    "I was talking to Aster and it disconnected in the middle of my sentence."

    "Probably disconnected from his end," Hux put her hands on her hips. "Can't imagine the stress these kids are under. He probably didn't want to sit there and talk."

    "Well, he better connect soon because the kids aren't at his dropship anymore. Also, there's acidic rainfall right now. All of them have shelter -- well Aster does." The president explained.

    Hux could see why Layla complained so often.

    "Not fatal, I'd assume." She concluded.

    "That's what he said."

    She stared at her worn-out combat boots, furrowing her brows in thought.

    "Sir, are you sure you want to go to Earth? Even after hearing all this?"

    He nodded without hesitation, "I've said twenty million times Vanessa Huxley, we are prepared for whatever Earth has to throw at us."

    "Then tell me why those kids weren't also prepared?"

    "You're beginning to sound like Layla."

    "Well, I'm concerned about the well-being of the kids I let be sent down! The boy I used to work alongside nearly every day!"

    "It'll all be--"

    "Mr. Volt!" Hux screamed, "We need to act fast, is what I'm saying. Those kids are rapidly dying. What will you do when it's not Aster's voice patching through one day? When you hear one of the kids tell you that he's missing, or hurt, or... worse."

    "Well be coming down as soon as the ship is ready." Zaiden managed to keep his cool by avoiding eye contact.

    "Thank you for the answer. How will you tell the people?"

    Zaiden crossed his arms and shrugged, "I'll figure it out when the time comes."

    She knew he had no idea what he was doing. S.S Sefarina had fallen into the hands of the wrong person.

AUTHORS NOTE

sorry for the inactivity. but hey, we're halfway through part one yayy!!!!
feedback is appreciated and don't forget to vote <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 232 30
100 years ago, amidst WW3's nuclear bombing, a deadly virus was released in the atmosphere and nearly wiping out the humanity. It lives inside the hu...
7.2K 600 49
Ever thought surviving first period and facing her best friend's boyfriend - whom she recently kissed - was going to be the hardest part of her day...
962 102 39
Sekam, a shape-shifting demigoddess, and her guardian, the fourth creator good, wander a neon green toxic wasteland left in the wake of biowarfare wh...
5.8K 171 29
Mankind's fate will not be one of simplicity and luxury. Instead it will be an unprecedented experiment of survival played on a communal level. Only...